0.9 version

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#21 scient

scient
  • Modder
  • 1010 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 05:09 PM

@Yovaneth: Thank you for your offer, I'll let you when I get my parallel installs setup.

As for the freeze, it seems to be a limitation of IE but I'm not sure what. For bigg's WSM, he recommends starting a new game to prevent any bugs like this. I'm still curious as to what is causing this. bigg's sent me a copy of his WSM that allows the game to run in windowed mode so now I can properly debug it.

Those interested in the classic TBS game Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri / Alien Crossover should check out the unofficial patch I work on here.

#22 Mask

Mask
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 08:36 AM

With regards to the curious curio crash..

I'm experiencing it now, with my own set of curious circumstances.
  • I'm not using any UI mods at the moment. (Your safe Ghostdog)
  • I have been piece-mail trying to enable/disable all three of Qwinn's mods, thinking it was my problem.
  • I have the 4 disc version with discs 2, 3, 4, on my HD and the pointers in torment.ini correctly changed.
  • I have run the patch 1.1 application with seemingly effective results.
  • It saves and boots me out to desktop as described..
  • It also kicks up the enlightening statement "An assertion failed in F:\Torment\source\baldur\cVisibility.cpp at line number 1528"
  • Edit: Same result when entering the apothecary.
  • I installed from E:\ (My DVD drive). F:\ (my CD drive) was not in any way used.
Qwinn suggested I post here after I prodded him and asked if he ever saw something like this before.

Edited by Mask, 24 November 2008 - 02:32 PM.

#23 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 09:03 AM

Thanks Mask.

scient, thought you'd want to see this... first time I've heard of the issue with the 4 disk version, so I thought maybe it would help track down if there's a problem aside from the compression. God I hope so. I'd love to see this stupid crashing bug put to rest more than anything else. Just seems to affect -way- too many people.

Qwinn

#24 ghostdog

ghostdog
  • Modder
  • 556 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 10:48 AM

It's strange indeed. The "An assertion failed in F:\Torment......" does not seem to have anything to do with an actual drive in your pc, it comes up when one of the main components of the game is altered/corrupted/missing. It happened to me some times, when I was altering offsets in the exe and editing chu files. Isn't there some way to debug the assertion?

Mask, I assume you have tried to make a new clean install of PST without any luck, right?
There is always the slight possibility there is some problem with your original cd's and the way your drive read them during installation. I would suggest ,if nothing else helps, to make images of your disks in your hard drive using Alchohol120 or cloneCD and then install the game from a virual drive (alchohol or daemon tools).

Edited by ghostdog, 24 November 2008 - 10:48 AM.

#25 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 11:25 AM

Okay, one thing I've been meaning to bring up...

I mentioned earlier that Platter made a couple of changes to a couple of the related .WED's, claiming they were errors and hoping to fix this problem. I don't know if they are, or if it helped solve the bug, and if they -did- reduce the frequency of people running into it, that may only have been a result of putting these files in the override directory and thus reducing the need to decompress them in the 2CD version.

Whatever. These sort of files are not my forte, but I would assume they should be right up your alley, ghostdog. I figured I could identify what the changes were, and put them up for you guys to check and see if they -are- errors, if they could cause these crashes, and so forth.

Anyways, here's the changes I can identify. There may be more - these files are huge - but here's what I was able to spot.

In both AR0609.WED (Vrischika's shop) and AR0612.WED (Pestle Killn's apothecary), Platter changed the height of the first overlay (offset 0x20) from 32 to 13. Both files also contain a rather large number of bytes that Near Infinity marks as "unused" at offsets 0x8cc and 0x164c. Perhaps this is an automatic consequence of changing the height, I don't know.

Anyways, something for you guys to look at. My Fixpack -does- copy Platter's version of those files into the override directory -if-, and only if, those files do -not- already exist in the override directory. Note that this therefore makes the install order between our mods potentially important - if you installed my mods first, then in theory the widescreen/UI mods will make changes to the versions with the height 13. If widescreen/UI is installed first, then the final install would not include those height changes.

Qwinn

#26 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 11:37 AM

Additional note: I just tested changing the height using Near Infinity, and indeed, just that one change produced the unused bytes I mentioned, so that probably is the only actual change in the files.

Qwinn

Edited by Qwinn, 24 November 2008 - 11:41 AM.

#27 Mask

Mask
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 02:23 PM

Mask, I assume you have tried to make a new clean install of PST without any luck, right?
There is always the slight possibility there is some problem with your original cd's and the way your drive read them during installation. I would suggest ,if nothing else helps, to make images of your disks in your hard drive using Alchohol120 or cloneCD and then install the game from a virual drive (alchohol or daemon tools).

While not my first attempted solution.. Reinstalling was among the top 5, and sadly, failed to work any wonders. Will give virtual images a shot, but I'm betting against. It'd simply be too easy.

edit: would time of installation matter? I installed all mods after making it past the alley of lingering sighs. Any chance it has something to do with editing previously entered area's in these two cases?

Edited by Mask, 24 November 2008 - 02:34 PM.

#28 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 03:10 PM

Are you saying you played without any mods until you got to the Alley, and then installed them all?

If so, I wouldn't be surprised you're having problems. I make no guarantees for my mods working properly in such a situation.

Qwinn

#29 ghostdog

ghostdog
  • Modder
  • 556 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 04:29 PM

@Mask
I thought the problem was that the game wouldn't even start , even without any mods installed. Anyway, if you want to use the mods you should probably re-install and start a new game.

@Qwinn
I'll take a look at the wed files , but I don't have any experience with them since I haven't messed with them for the UI mod. The Bigg would have more knowledge about this since the widescreen mod seems to patch these files. I'm not sure that the crash you are mentioning (found mostly in the 2CD version IIRC) has anything to do with the crashes that happen in small areas if you change the resolution with the WDM and try to continue from an older save. These crashes af far as I can tell happen if you try to enter a small area where you had previously saved the game. It definitely happened to me in many areas, not only in the curiosity or the apothecary shop.

It seems that there is something going on with the area/resolution height/size? though. If I change the resolution from 1280x800 to 1280x768 I can enter small areas without any crashes, if I set it to 1280x1024 I get many crashes in small areas. Anyway this seems to be a widescreen mod issue, I'm not sure if it's related to the other crashes.

#30 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 04:49 PM

I think crashing when you change the game's resolution (via the widescreen mod) and then enter an area you'd been to before is to be expected, and probably not fixable. At least, I wouldn't expect it to be fixed. It's a symptom of the way save games store areas after you've been to them once.

Qwinn

#31 taplonaplo

taplonaplo
  • 90 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 04:57 PM

@Qwinn
It seems that there is something going on with the area/resolution height/size? though. If I change the resolution from 1280x800 to 1280x768 I can enter small areas without any crashes, if I set it to 1280x1024 I get many crashes in small areas. Anyway this seems to be a widescreen mod issue, I'm not sure if it's related to the other crashes.

The savegame stores some area info. The crash occurs when the area (or apparently area info in saves) values are smaller than that of your resolution, because it doesn't fill in the whole screen, so setting to lower resolutions should never cause such problems, but setting to a higher will.

#32 ghostdog

ghostdog
  • Modder
  • 556 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 05:53 PM

The savegame stores some area info. The crash occurs when the area (or apparently area info in saves) values are smaller than that of your resolution, because it doesn't fill in the whole screen, so setting to lower resolutions should never cause such problems, but setting to a higher will.

Good to know. Is it then possible to edit the info in the savegame and make them compatible? Although we'll have to find it first ...

#33 -littletim777-

-littletim777-

Posted 06 December 2008 - 10:08 AM

hi, guys i dont much on how to fix this but im getting the samething (F:\Torment\Source\baldur\CVisibility.cpp) when i try to go into many buildings in the first town. Also dont know if this will help track the cause down but when i was installing the widescreen mod i kept getting errors on files that where in the folder and had to re-copy the file to fix it. Also, i copyed the files from a .nrg (nero image). Its so bad that i dont want to keep playing until i can fix it because its about 50% of the buildings. i have my res set to 1024x768. Any help would be great and hope this helps to solve the problem. thanks

#34 ghostdog

ghostdog
  • Modder
  • 556 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 05:16 AM

hi, guys i dont much on how to fix this but im getting the samething (F:\Torment\Source\baldur\CVisibility.cpp) when i try to go into many buildings in the first town. Also dont know if this will help track the cause down but when i was installing the widescreen mod i kept getting errors on files that where in the folder and had to re-copy the file to fix it. Also, i copyed the files from a .nrg (nero image). Its so bad that i dont want to keep playing until i can fix it because its about 50% of the buildings. i have my res set to 1024x768. Any help would be great and hope this helps to solve the problem. thanks

As I understand you haven't installed my UI you just have problems with the widescreen mod. The broblem you have seems to be a well known issue with Bigg's widescreen mod and it's because you probably have not started a new game when you installed the widescreen mod. Specifically about PST,you must strart a new game after installing the widescreen mod and at any time you change the resolution with the widescreen mod. , it's stated in both the widescreen mod readme and in my UI's readme.

If you have started a new game and you still have issues with the widescreen mod (while the vanilla game plays fine) it's best to ask for help form the author (Bigg) the in the appropriate widescreen mod forum

#35 -cabfe-

-cabfe-

Posted 02 March 2009 - 08:35 AM

I found a way to enter the curiosity shop : I re-installed widescreen with a 640x480 resolution.
(Originaly 1280x1024).

#36 -gmk-

-gmk-

Posted 05 May 2009 - 05:46 AM

I found a way to enter the curiosity shop : I re-installed widescreen with a 640x480 resolution.
(Originaly 1280x1024).

Good to see the issue beign worked on, as I've just bumped into it (4CD, widescreen mod 1280x1024, UI mod, Platter 1.37 fixpack... started a new game. And yes, no such problems with plain umodded game).

My question: did you have to start the game over or just re-modded the game to 640x480 and loaded an earlier savegame to enter the area?

#37 ghostdog

ghostdog
  • Modder
  • 556 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 03:09 PM

If you change the resolution while playing, chances are you'll get crashes when entering certain areas. I don't see why you installed the widescreen mod with a 640x580 resolution, the original resolution of the game is 640x480., you don't need widescreen mod for that.

The crashing mainly occurs if you've saved in a small area while you were using ,let's say, a 1024x768 resolution and then you re-installed widescreen mod with a bigger resolution , like 1280x1024 and tried to enter the same area. If you install back to 1024 or a smaller resolution, it might be possible to enter the area. Have in mind though that if you save while in a small area using the 640x480, you'll probably be able to enter the area only with that resolution. The fact is that the problem is more complicated than that and lowering resolution is not guaranteed to work.

So, let me say this one more time:
You must strart a new game after installing the widescreen mod and never change the resolution midgame.

Also, since this has to do with the Widescreen mod and not my UI (and certainly not with the 0.9 version), it would be better to take this to Bigg.

Edited by ghostdog, 05 May 2009 - 03:13 PM.

#38 -gmk-

-gmk-

Posted 06 May 2009 - 04:24 AM

The fact is that the problem is more complicated than that and lowering resolution is not guaranteed to work.
(...)
Also, since this has to do with the Widescreen mod and not my UI (and certainly not with the 0.9 version), it would be better to take this to Bigg.

Thanks for the reply. I'll try to bug someone in the widescreen mod forum then.

#39 -Indeterminate-

-Indeterminate-

Posted 23 July 2009 - 07:59 PM

Hi, I'm currently trying to install this mod. I've followed the instructions online to create a full install of PsT (4 CD version) and installed the widescreen mod. When I try to run the setup for this mod, I get a giant sequence of "auto-updating on behalf of Setup-Ghostdog's-PST-UI.exe" messages which appears to cycle through a large number of pid's, whatever they are. After some time I recieve an error message that too many files are open and the program quits.

Could someone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

#40 ghostdog

ghostdog
  • Modder
  • 556 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 03:10 AM

First of all why did you post in this thread? Are you using the 0.9 version? If by any chance you are, then install the latest 1.2 version..

Now, about your problem, the only possible explanation I can find is discussed in this thread : http://forums.gibber...showtopic=13469
If you're have installed much older weidu mods with newer ones there may be a problem like that. If you do, I'd suggest to install all latest mods. Since I'm assuming you have also installed some of Qwinn's mods, you can find his latest versions here.

Edited by ghostdog, 24 July 2009 - 03:10 AM.