Photo

BiG World Setup

• Please log in to reply
466 replies to this topic

#261 Kaz

Kaz
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 12:47 PM

Regrettably, after the install finished, I tried to run baldur.exe but it either CTD's instantly or the process just starts and quits without the window opening.

Don't know, the BGMain.exe actually start the game, it should give you some kind of error report...

Nope, tried running that but there's no error report. Process starts, stops, that's all. I might try reinstalling I guess, unless anyone knows what's going on.

You should have 'Logging On=1' in your baldur.ini file, which *usually* produces something in the baldur.err file. But not always.

Your install, the way it is, probably *will* crash, but only after creating/importing a character and loading the starting area for BG2 (it would probably still work for BG1... for a while at least). This is because somehow BWS allowed you to install optional components of Infinity Animations without installing the main component (a bit of a WeiDU bug reported here). And I suspect the main component failed because you didn't have all the requirements (the setup-infinityanimations.DEBUG file should tell you).

But it sounds like you have other major issues if BGMain.exe doesn't even bring up the menu screen, let alone character creation etc. If you didn't install biffing, it could take a while to launch (several minutes sometimes) but it looks like you installed that too (which may also make uninstalling/reinstalling something like Infinity Animations difficult).

I went through some stuff but eventually gave up and have decided to do a new install, whilst removing a few mods. Is there any particular thing I can change to avoid the probable crashing you speak of? And how can I make sure I have all the requirements? I'm a bit of an idiot so I managed to avoid checking the error files you mentioned before deleting the entire folder :/

#262 Kaz

Kaz
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 03:47 PM

Posted Image

So when I start the install, this happens for a while. Sensing this may be an issue?

#263 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 08:28 PM

So when I start the install, this happens for a while. Sensing this may be an issue?

I am not familiar with what the latest BWFixpack does, but I suspect either the BWS did not download all the Infinity Animations content or its extraction routine doesn't work properly.

Your system language is English or another Western European one, right? That is the only real issue, and that has a workaround in the readme. But rather than letting BWS handle IA, I would download all content and install it manually as per the readme. So exclude that and Generalised Biffing from the BWS. The latter you always want to install manually anyway, because you want to make absolutely certain you're happy with your install and everything installed ok before putting that on.

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#264 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 10:51 PM

If it really is a problem and not just outdated information, it's probably a good idea to actually figure out why it's happening, since nothing should access any other location but the BG2-SoA folder and sub-folders during install anyway.

It is a real problem and not just outdated info... as I said, you'll get an Assertion errors during the games starting phase...

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#265 flinx

flinx
  • 44 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 05:25 AM

It is a real problem and not just outdated info... as I said, you'll get an Assertion errors during the games starting phase...

I may see if I can reproduce and figure out what's causing it then.

#266 Kaz

Kaz
  • 13 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 09:20 AM

I am not familiar with what the latest BWFixpack does, but I suspect either the BWS did not download all the Infinity Animations content or its extraction routine doesn't work properly.

Your system language is English or another Western European one, right? That is the only real issue, and that has a workaround in the readme. But rather than letting BWS handle IA, I would download all content and install it manually as per the readme. So exclude that and Generalised Biffing from the BWS. The latter you always want to install manually anyway, because you want to make absolutely certain you're happy with your install and everything installed ok before putting that on.

Ah, the language for non-unicode programs was set to Japanese. Changed it to English UK now.
I'm just going to briefly retry the normal install with this change, since the screenshot I took happens pretty soon into the installation if it occurs.
Cheers for the help.

#267 ancalimon

ancalimon
  • 16 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 04:52 PM

First thanks for this great gem. I have been looking forward to play and finish Baldurs Gate for a long time and found this great mega modification a year ago. Couldn't make it work back than. I downloaded the BiG_World_Setup.exe version 8.3 from THIS LINK.

Installed Baldurs Gate 1, its expansion, Baldurs Gate 2, its expansion and the updates. Started BG1 and BG2 once and quick saved then removed the CD.

When I run Big World Setup, it gives me the recommended, standard, tactical and expert options. I started with recommended and when everything is downloaded it starts extraction and tells me to extract some files by myself. I think I read somewhere that I should not run those files after extraction as the Vig World Setup would take care of them. I extract them to their default directory. (ie: F:\Games\Black Isle\BGII - SoA\BiG World Downloads\GharethNPC) but don't run them, although some exe files run by themselves and install and some of them give me errors).

In the end a dos window appears and asks me which version to install and I'm given standard, tactical and expert options but no recommended option (as I choose the recommended option I'm stuck here)

I started from scratch and this time choose the standard version but some error when installation comes up again. I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong. I will start from scrath and note every action I take every response I get and report here so you can help me install everything properly

By the way the file kivan-v8.1.exe has the 'TR/Orsam.A.2433 [trojan]' in it could you remove the file or inform the author on the next version.

Edited by ancalimon, 14 March 2010 - 04:56 PM.

#268 -regular guest-

-regular guest-

Posted 14 March 2010 - 05:39 PM

In the end a dos window appears and asks me which version to install and I'm given standard, tactical and expert options but no recommended option (as I choose the recommended option I'm stuck here)

I started from scratch and this time choose the standard version but some error when installation comes up again. I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong. I will start from scrath and note every action I take every response I get and report here so you can help me install everything properly

By the way the file kivan-v8.1.exe has the 'TR/Orsam.A.2433 [trojan]' in it could you remove the file or inform the author on the next version.

You should dowload this manual. Read it first, or at least: "I. IN THREE STEPS TO SUCCESS". There are few things that must be done before installing BWP. Including turning off your virus protection. And you if you chose recommend components, then you propably want to do standard install, check the manual first.

And by the way, virus protections are stupid sometimes so don't always belive them, that one was most likely false alarm.

#269 Tonton Fred

Tonton Fred
  • 122 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 06:15 PM

Just ran a test setup yesterday, got a couple of issues I thought I would report :

BWS did not download 1PP Thieves Galore, it did not even show up in the debug download list, although it was selected. However, the BWS notified me later that it failed to extract it (duh).

Also, some mods were listed as not extracted, although I could see the relevant subfolders in BGII - SoA :

The extraction of the following mod(s) failed:
Turnabout v1: The Mod itself (TurnaboutV1.zip)
NPC Flirt Packs v1.02: The Mod itself (NPCFlirtV102.zip)
Ding0's Tweak Pack v20: The Mod itself (D0Tweak_v20.exe)
Manual: The Mod itself (1pp_thieves_galore_100.rar)

(note that Thieves Galore is referred to as Manual, don't know if that means my download-list was somehow screwed up)
I had to manually extract Turnabout, Flirtpack and Tweakpack, as it had extracted the subfolders but not the setup-*.exe and .tp2.

After downloading Thieves Galore manually, BWS found it and extracted it fine.

Also, BWS downloaded what I think are obsolete versions of some mods, namely Crappack v2 (should be v3 ?), SCSv13 (should be 14 ?) and SCS II v11 (should be v13 ?). V9 of the BG2 Fixpack is out this morning, but I'm sure you're already on it :P
EDIT : tried again this morning, Crappack+SCS versions are now up-to-date !

Finally, after extraction, NSIS setups are launched, the BSW warns that
There will be message-boxes that ask you if you want to install several mods. They should disappear directly.
If that's not happening, please press Enter or click "Yes" to continue.

There are also some black console-windows (DOS-windows) that should be closed automatically.

Exactly none of the message boxes ( "This will install Such&such mod") disappeared, I had to click through each of them. On the other hand, all the DOS prompts windows were closed automatically.

Cheers,
Fred

Edited by Tonton Fred, 14 March 2010 - 06:59 PM.

#270 dabus

dabus
  • 1982 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 09:28 PM

Uuuh, I don't know if you just had a bad moment when the links could not be fetched from the Kerzenburg.
A few minutes ago, it was not accessible. In my version that was updated yesterday, the names where correct.
THINK! - It's not illegal.

#271 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 12:55 PM

Maybe this has already been suggested/implemented but if BWS fails to retrieve any selected mods, why not give the option to "Retry" before running the install, maybe with a longer timeout delay?

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#272 dabus

dabus
  • 1982 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 01:56 PM

The timeout for servers using php is 10 seconds, direct-links use wget and it has a felt timeout of 20 seconds.
Servers really should be able to respond in 10 seconds though, so I guess extending it would not help that much. I've had a little test done by one guy here that worked with shs-downloads after he had some issues. I added that method using winhttp to the beta, so you have problems, you could give it a shot.

#273 Tonton Fred

Tonton Fred
  • 122 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 07:42 AM

Mod BGT Tweak Pack :
Install Component 800 [Import more items into Shadows of Amn]?
[(WARNING: This can be considered a cheat)]? [Y]es

I don't think this component should be part of the Standard install ?

%IFES%BGTTweak%S%BGTTweak%L%0%SK% 100 400 600 800 901 1000 | %M%
%IFGS%BGTTweak%S%BGTTweak%L%3%SK% 100 400 600 800 901 1000 | %M%
%IFHS%BGTTweak%S%BGTTweak%L%1%SK% 100 400 600 800 901 1000 | %M%

Edited by Tonton Fred, 16 March 2010 - 07:43 AM.

#274 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 07:55 AM

I would like to humbly disagree :)

Being something that makes the game easier, that component isn't exactly Tactics-material ... and it's not buggy (or untested) so it ain't Expert-stuff either ;) Now there's nothing joking/unsuitable about that component either, so imho it shoud stay in standard :P

"I am the smiley addict, yellow and round, this is my grin :D when I'm usually around :P.
When there's trouble brewing, see me post, cuz it's usually a wall o' yellow and your eyes are toast!!!"

BWP GUIDE - BWP FIXES - impFAQ - NPC LIST - KIT LIST - AREA LIST

GitHub Links : BWP Fixpack | Lolfixer | BWP Trimpack | RezMod

#275 Tonton Fred

Tonton Fred
  • 122 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 08:14 AM

I see your point... However, as it has the potential to seriously affect the game balance, I don't know if gamers who just click'n'forget would install it if they knew about it. On the other hand, maybe they shouldn't trust automated installers so much :lol:

Besides, if I'm not mistaken, this will ALSO be installed in Tactics and Expert ?

Edited by Tonton Fred, 16 March 2010 - 08:17 AM.

#276 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 08:39 AM

I agree with the click-n-forget thing :) But once the component-selection version of the BWS gets officially released, we could export our own install orders using the BWS's Import/Export thingus and make a thread out of those :) For eg:

Lollorian's Order:

Extremely imba list of mods (not guaranteed to be working) Prepare to be pwned by frackin kobolds. Beware - your eyes may melt cause of sheer overpowerednezz of your characters at certain levels (high ones :D)

Author's note: "I tried to take out as much bloat (NPCs ... much of the 1-day kind :lol:) as I could from the BWPExpert, as well as stuff like incompatible AI stuff and 'balancing' stuff ... especially balancing stuff :devil:"

Which would allow for peeps to (in a way) choose what kind of auto-install they want :lol:

As for BWPStandard/Tactics/Expert ... they're not based on the player's difficulty level ;) (check out Jarno's sig for their real meaning :ROFL:)

Edited by Lollorian, 16 March 2010 - 08:43 AM.

"I am the smiley addict, yellow and round, this is my grin :D when I'm usually around :P.
When there's trouble brewing, see me post, cuz it's usually a wall o' yellow and your eyes are toast!!!"

BWP GUIDE - BWP FIXES - impFAQ - NPC LIST - KIT LIST - AREA LIST

GitHub Links : BWP Fixpack | Lolfixer | BWP Trimpack | RezMod

#277 Tonton Fred

Tonton Fred
  • 122 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 09:00 PM

It seems the Chosen of Mystra website is not properly configured :

--11:50:35--  http://forums.chosenofmystra.net/index.php?action=downloads;sa=downfile;id=73
           => `G:\install\BGII - SoA\BiG World Downloads\MTSCrappack_v3.zip'
Resolving forums.chosenofmystra.net... done.
Connecting to forums.chosenofmystra.net[208.113.235.66]:80... 
connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 
200 OKSyntax error in Set-Cookie: premature end of string.

Length: unspecified [application/octet-stream]

0K ................ ................ ...............

The error means a unspecified length of file of 0 is set, which is of course different from the real (2.3 MB) size of the file. The net result is that the Crappack (and presumably any file hosted at CoM) will be downloaded at every install even if it is already present locally.

If you're wondering if this really matters, remember that some of us are still on metered subscriptions or dial-up :crying:

#278 dabus

dabus
  • 1982 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 02:39 AM

Nope. The file-size will not be changed for the BWS if it is returned as 0.
So it will not be downloaded if it already exists with the size that is in the Mod.ini.
Downside is that we either have to look at the size often so we dish out the correct one or you may have an old version if you install a second time.

I already asked about that and Leomar reported that the administrator told us everything was fine with his download-portal, so we quit it.

If you look at the http-header, you can tell that it is not. Funny thing is, some do report the size and some not.

Edited by dabus, 17 March 2010 - 02:40 AM.

#279 Tonton Fred

Tonton Fred
  • 122 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 03:19 AM

Well, then I don't know what's causing it, but I've tested a dozen trial installs today, and every time the Crappack is included, it's downloaded again. Using the Beta BWS btw.

#280 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 03:55 AM

Using the Beta BWS btw.

Then why are you posting here, and not where you are supposed to post...

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.