• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#41 horred the plague

horred the plague

Scourge of the Seven Seas

• Modder
  • 1899 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 12:59 AM

Well nothing very important, but if you plan to release the v180, there is 3 strings which is are in the .tp2 and the Setup.tra. it will be nice if you could change the .tp2 code in order it matches the Setup.tra:

REPLACE ~99777~ ~Big Picture is brought to you by Horred the Plague.~
REPLACE ~99778~ ~A special thanks to all the modders and modmakers that made Big Picture possible!~
REPLACE ~99779~ ~Be sure to stop through Horred's Lair on your grand adventures!
(Are fireballs considered 'warm welcomes'?)~

Thanks. :D

COPY_EXISTING ~LOADHINT.2DA~  ~override~
 COUNT_2DA_ROWS 2 hint_rows_cnt
 INSERT_2DA_ROW hint_rows_cnt 2 ~%hint_rows_cnt%          99777~
 SET hint_rows_cnt += 1
 INSERT_2DA_ROW hint_rows_cnt 2 ~%hint_rows_cnt%          99778~
 SET hint_rows_cnt += 1
 INSERT_2DA_ROW hint_rows_cnt 2 ~%hint_rows_cnt%          99779~
 REPLACE ~99777~ @601
 REPLACE ~99778~ @602
 REPLACE ~99779~ @603

Some'thing like that? :)

#42 Graoumf

Graoumf
  • 594 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 05:07 AM

COPY_EXISTING ~LOADHINT.2DA~ ~override~
 INSERT_2DA_ROW hint_rows_cnt 2 ~%hint_rows_cnt% 99777~
 SET hint_rows_cnt += 1
 INSERT_2DA_ROW hint_rows_cnt 2 ~%hint_rows_cnt% 99778~
 SET hint_rows_cnt += 1
 INSERT_2DA_ROW hint_rows_cnt 2 ~%hint_rows_cnt% 99779~
 REPLACE ~99777~ @601
 REPLACE ~99778~ @602
 REPLACE ~99779~ @603

Yes, they matches @23 - @24 and @25 in the Setup.tra. :)

#43 horred the plague

horred the plague

• Modder
  • 1899 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 09:49 AM

COPY_EXISTING ~LOADHINT.2DA~ ~override~
 INSERT_2DA_ROW hint_rows_cnt 2 ~%hint_rows_cnt% 99777~
 SET hint_rows_cnt += 1
 INSERT_2DA_ROW hint_rows_cnt 2 ~%hint_rows_cnt% 99778~
 SET hint_rows_cnt += 1
 INSERT_2DA_ROW hint_rows_cnt 2 ~%hint_rows_cnt% 99779~
 REPLACE ~99777~ @601
 REPLACE ~99778~ @602
 REPLACE ~99779~ @603

Yes, they matches @23 - @24 and @25 in the Setup.tra. :)

COPY_EXISTING ~LOADHINT.2DA~  ~override~
 INSERT_2DA_ROW hint_rows_cnt 2 ~%hint_rows_cnt%          99777~
 SET hint_rows_cnt += 1
 INSERT_2DA_ROW hint_rows_cnt 2 ~%hint_rows_cnt%          99778~
 SET hint_rows_cnt += 1
 INSERT_2DA_ROW hint_rows_cnt 2 ~%hint_rows_cnt%          99779~
 REPLACE ~99777~ @23
 REPLACE ~99778~ @24
 REPLACE ~99779~ @25

You mean, that's what that text was there for? :whistling: :lol:
I swear, I never noticed that until now. Done deal, thanks for pointing it out. :cheers:

#44 -Fennek-

-Fennek-

Posted 01 February 2010 - 02:11 AM

You might also consider to add

ACTION_IF NOT FILE_EXISTS_IN_GAME ~PPGUY02.CRE~ THEN BEGIN
COPY ~BPv179/CRE/PPGUY02.CRE~ ~override/PPGUY02.CRE~
END

to the end of the BP tp.
Otherwise, if one does not install Component 0 of BP, one cannot install "Turnabout".mod properly even if one installs BP Ascension, because a creature file is not installed.
I guess that not everybody wants to install all components, especially if one has to choose betwenn different AIs (BP. SCSII etc.)

#45 horred the plague

horred the plague

• Modder
  • 1899 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 11:38 PM

You might also consider to add

ACTION_IF NOT FILE_EXISTS_IN_GAME ~PPGUY02.CRE~ THEN BEGIN
COPY ~BPv179/CRE/PPGUY02.CRE~ ~override/PPGUY02.CRE~
END

to the end of the BP tp.
Otherwise, if one does not install Component 0 of BP, one cannot install "Turnabout".mod properly even if one installs BP Ascension, because a creature file is not installed.
I guess that not everybody wants to install all components, especially if one has to choose betwenn different AIs (BP. SCSII etc.)

A valid point, and I will include this snippet regardless---as it is used by other mods as an Ascension identifier. (Except my version is already at 180 :P ) Ultimately there will be a section of BP that will be required for Ascension. This will contain the necessary IDS files to make Ascension's scripts have meaning (i.e. unless another mod overwrites them). Probably a few other things, maybe stuff that the other components specifically need. It won't be anything like what you now know as "The BP Core", just a small section of checks and additions if needed, some key pieces, etc. The rest would be split into AI and enhancements, as much as that is possible to split up. (Words of Wisdom: It is much much easier to write a new weidu mod and plan ahead for a nicely split pakcage, than to take a monstrous pack of pre-weidu files and make it not only weidu'ed but modularized hehe)

Don't expect this one soon,but it could happen some day ;)

:cheers:

Edited by horred the plague, 06 February 2010 - 11:39 PM.

#46 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 01:39 AM

(Except my version is already at 180 :P )

:Tasty:
Or is it the 'in production and checking' model? Yeah, don't reply, as it would only make me cry.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#47 freestone

freestone
  • 37 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 03:10 PM

hi all.

does BP need the Big world "resfixer v1" ?!

Ah, another attempt to install baldurs gate II.

The big picture.

I began, last week to use the big world mega-install, to install their "standard" mod list, including Bp.
maybe my vista machine, even with UAC turned off did some thing weird to the install of this BW: I had placed the mods i wanted to use in the bg2 proper folder and low and behold the big world still had me to download *each* and every one on the mod list that they have! Then when I went ahead and used the "install program" that is part of big world, the install hung on the very first mod!
then i could see why!! "they" gave to me mods that I would never ever install myself, for bg2, even with the bg1 not selected, large numbers of music over-writes and one day npcs that i would never ever choose.

So Now I used, so far, the big picture install guide and manually install the mods i want and not use BW at all. Not using any mods that need to be fiddled with, with the BW install program

But there is a question with BIG PICTURE! in the list, just before the bp install, there is....

"Resource Fixer v1
~SETUP-RES_FIXER.TP2~
Some macros designed to fix various structural errors in creatures, items and spells. It's necessary to
get BP to install.
20.0.1. Copy the folder res_fixer and the files setup-res_fixer.exe and setup-res_fixer.tp2 from the folder
BiG World Fixpack into your main SoA directory.
20.0.2. Double-click the Setup. The DOS dialogue appears:
Install Component 0 [Resource Fixer]? [I]nstall
Successfully installed [Resource Fixer]"

there is no setup.exe
there is only the tp2 file, big world must use this in its install bat.

my question is....can I go ahead and install big picture, following that big world install pdf guide, WITHOUT using this fixer mod?
As i am not using bg1 and the bgt..never ending journey, and the large huge mods like check the bodies, maybe I can just go ahead and install Bp "next" without using this fixer mod. can I?!

if it is best for me to use this fixer program, how can i get it to install, without the setup exe?

too too bad I seem not to be able to get along with that big world project, it looks to be a very very good effort.

thanks.....freestone

Edited by freestone, 17 March 2010 - 03:12 PM.

#48 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 05:51 PM

Just copy the setup-<modname>.exe of ANY other mod and rename it to Setup-resfixer.exe :) (all the mod setup.exe's are renamed versions of WeiDU.exe :P)

"I am the smiley addict, yellow and round, this is my grin :D when I'm usually around :P.
When there's trouble brewing, see me post, cuz it's usually a wall o' yellow and your eyes are toast!!!"

BWP GUIDE - BWP FIXES - impFAQ - NPC LIST - KIT LIST - AREA LIST

GitHub Links : BWP Fixpack | Lolfixer | BWP Trimpack | RezMod

#49 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

• 10911 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 01:44 AM

In the defense of BWS...

I had placed the mods i wanted to use in the bg2 proper folder and low and behold the big world still had me to download *each* and every one on the mod list that they have!

Were the proper files in the assigned Download folder? As for the proper files, they are the archive files, not the extracted mod files... and the assigned download folder is the one on this image:
Posted Image

Then when I went ahead and used the "install program" that is part of big world, the install hung on the very first mod!

Yeah, it's a minor feature that the BWS sometimes has cause the mods are updated so often, not because the fault is within the programming...

large numbers of music over-writes and one day npcs that i would never ever choose.

You can always choose the tag: "Further customization of your mod-settings", which will open a window that allows you to select the exact mods you wish install.

#50 horred the plague

horred the plague

• Modder
  • 1899 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 05:55 AM

No, the BP mod requires 'nothing else' I've used it this way many a time, especially in building it, and let me say it not only runs by itself, it runs better by itself.

While the BWP is a fine project it never was a requirement to get a lot of mods set up. It's a nice aid in that task. But we had a good pile of compatible mods assembled long before it came into existence.

Just to make sure, this part has not been forgotten. It is a PITA do get them to work right, without it. But it can be done.

I'd really have to say the choice of using the resfixer is yours. If you don't, you might end up making some of the same fixes by hand.

Edited by horred the plague, 18 March 2010 - 05:58 AM.

#51 freestone

freestone
  • 37 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 06:19 AM

Just copy the setup-<modname>.exe of ANY other mod and rename it to Setup-resfixer.exe :) (all the mod setup.exe's are renamed versions of WeiDU.exe :P)

thanks Lollorian.

I was nicely able to do this, now I know how to install other mods that have this problem! there were a couple of others, no setup.exes.

for the record, though, in case other newbies to the user difficulties of these mods, the *real* name for
"setup_resfixer.exe" is......"setup_res_fixer.exe" !!
I was then able to get it installed.

I probably will just go on, now, and install from Bp onwards, "manually" using that big world pdf guide, leaving out the mods that need the big world fixer patches to work.

300 hours?
game might be that long, i do not need all of the mods, besides i have on my old win98 machine, the easy tutu bg1, unplayed!
then there is dragon age...oblivion, both neverwinter games, I am 68 years old, I might die of old age before finishing all of these games! thus i need not to get "all" the mods for baldurs gate II, i guess.

thanks for all your help, I will probably use the big world setup, next time, the other replier gave to me a clearer procedure on installing.

one of the hesitant reason why i did not drill down to find such helpful posts for installing big world is that i can only be at my computer for about an hour at a time, between my volunteering work at my senior home, my walks, my early to bedness, i wimp out at 8 PM, always have, thus computer time is relatively rare, thus i cannot want to have hours and hours of processing, plus here in North Florida, most of the summer afternoons is "computer lockdown" in the evenings as the lightning walks the sky, 99% of all lightning flashes are cloud to ground and Tallahassee gets over 80 thunderstorm DAYS per year, many storms have 10,000 Counted strokes!! pine trees are rare here in Tallahassee, they grow taller then lightning takes them out.

freestone

Edited by freestone, 18 March 2010 - 06:22 AM.

#52 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 07:24 AM

for the record, though, in case other newbies to the user difficulties of these mods, the *real* name for "setup_resfixer.exe" is......"setup_res_fixer.exe" !!

:doh: Sorry about that :P

I will probably use the big world setup, next time, the other replier gave to me a clearer procedure on installing.

You might still wanna use the BWS and use the BP AI when it asks you to choose SCS or BP (SCS is probably the biggest time killer right now ... one time it took an hour to install ... and there's stuff about the newer versions taking even more time :unsure:)

Also, to save even more time, you might wanna check the "Further customize my install" option and deselect SCS, SCSII, Unique Artifacts and Aurora (mods which took a rather loger time compared to the others ... for me :P)

Installs usually took a max of 7 hours for me ... but I hear some peeps talk about 20 hour installs :unsure: But you gotta agree that automated installs are TONS better than manual :D

"I am the smiley addict, yellow and round, this is my grin :D when I'm usually around :P.
When there's trouble brewing, see me post, cuz it's usually a wall o' yellow and your eyes are toast!!!"

#53 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

• 10911 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 01:27 AM

No, the BP mod requires 'nothing else' I've used it this way many a time, especially in building it, and let me say it not only runs by itself, it runs better by itself.

That's two edged sword...
1) The BP will run itself fine.
2) The BP will run by itself fine.
As in: it doesn't require anything else, but it might not work properly if it's installed with anything else... Like the "Old BP-related mods" in the description. Yes, the description is off in that perspective as it nowadays is just a AI/creature enhancing mod... just like my FAQ's MM history #9 section says it to be.

The BWP/BWS says the 'BP needs the res fixer' because the BWP needs the resources to be clean for the BP, so it get's installed rightly without too many errors, and because the install was close to completion when the comment was made originally(so the errors are in the other mods, not in BP).

Edited by Jarno Mikkola, 20 May 2010 - 01:47 AM.

#54 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 04:51 AM

Heya again :cheers:

Line 25287 in the .tp2 - should the Improved Crypt Lord component give a general script called BPLEAD1 to the crypt lord?? Looking at the other general scripts assigned, it looks like it should've actually been BPLEADER, but since this is a separate component, maybe it's just a missing script?? :P Thanks for any info :)

#55 Chevalier

Chevalier

Knight of the Realms

• Modder
  • 2405 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 12:42 PM

BP has been updated to v179g with the latest version of WeiDU and all the fixes to date. BP requires the BG2 Fixpack.

Thanks Lollorian! :cheers:

I Ride for the King!

a.k.a. Chev

#56 Fennek

Fennek
  • 355 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 03:22 AM

@Chevalier: Great! Everything works fine and I could install everything I noramally install without any complications.
However, I tried the Level 50 component (not installing TDD Ruleset component in a BWP-Tactics-installation) and got this error:

Appending to files ...
Appending to files ...
Appending to files ...
Appending to files ...
Appending to files ...
Appending to files ...
Appending to files ...
Appending to files column-wise ...
Cannot append column-wise because there are 53 lines in MXSPLPAL.2DA but I was only given 45 things to append
Stopping installation because of error.

ERROR Installing [Level-50 Ruleset (Code By King Diamond)], rolling back to previous state
Will uninstall 25 files for [SETUP-BPV179.TP2] component 14.
Uninstalled 25 files for [SETUP-BPV179.TP2] component 14.
ERROR: Failure("cannot append column-wise to MXSPLPAL.2DA")
PLEASE email the file SETUP-BPV179.DEBUG to The BP Crew
Automatically Skipping [Level-50 Ruleset (Code By King Diamond)] because of error.
Using Language [English]
[dialog.tlk] created, 252834 string entries
[dialogf.tlk] created, 252834 string entries

If anything else (weidu.log, full debug, although it doesn't provide any other information etc.) is needed, please tell me.

#57 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 05:20 AM

Cannot append column-wise because there are 53 lines in MXSPLPAL.2DA but I was only given 45 things to append

Not sure what this code is suppposed to be doing, but it needs to COUNT_2DA_ROWS and then APPEND_COL a string of values equal to that number (which is 53 in this case, not 45), padding with -1s if necessary. There is code in Thrown Hammers and maybe some other mods that does this.

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
================================================================
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#58 Fennek

Fennek
  • 355 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 01:32 PM

Just in case this is needed, a change-log:

[WeiDU.exe] WeiDU version 21700
[WeiDU.exe] Using scripting style "BG2"
override/Mxsplpal.2da

Mods affecting MXSPLPAL.2DA:
00000: /* from game biffs */ ~SETUP-VAULT.TP2~ 0 0 // The Vault (erebusant's rework for BGT compatibility): v7.1 BWP Trimpack and BWP Fix

#59 Chevalier

Chevalier

Knight of the Realms

• Modder
  • 2405 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 01:50 PM

I think I understand what is going on here.

From TDD:
APPEND_COL ~MXSPLRAN.2DA~ ~9999 9999 4 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 1 1 2 2 2 2 3 3 3 4 4 4 4 5 5 5 5 5 6 6 6 6 6 6~
APPEND_COL ~MXSPLRAN.2DA~ ~9999 9999 5 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 1 1 1 1 2 2 2 2 2 3 3 3 4~
COPY_EXISTING + ~MXSPLPAL.2DA~ ~override~

From BP:
APPEND_COL ~MXSPLPAL.2DA~ ~9999 9999 5 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 1 1 1 2 2 2 2 2 2 3 3 3 3 3 4 4 4 4 4~
APPEND_COL ~MXSPLPAL.2DA~ ~9999 9999 6 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 2 2 2 2 2~
 REPLACE_TEXTUALLY ~9999~    ~~

If someone who knows could answer this, would all I have to do is replace the above BP code with the TDD code? Would anything else need to be replaced? I don't want to add to the Bugs!

I Ride for the King!

a.k.a. Chev

#60 Mike1072

Mike1072
  • Modder
  • 539 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 04:17 PM

No, the problem is that both mods are using this faulty code:

COPY_EXISTING ~MXSPLPAL.2DA~ ~override~
 COUNT_2DA_ROWS 5 "rows"
 FOR(cnt="%rows%"+1; cnt<=50; cnt=cnt+1) BEGIN //up to 50th level
 SPRINT str ~~
 PATCH_IF( cnt=41 ) THEN BEGIN
 	SPRINT EVALUATE_BUFFER str ~%cnt% 	6 6 5 5~
 END
 PATCH_IF( cnt=42 ) THEN BEGIN
 	SPRINT EVALUATE_BUFFER str ~%cnt% 	6 6 6 5~
 END
 PATCH_IF( cnt=43 OR cnt=44 ) THEN BEGIN
 	SPRINT EVALUATE_BUFFER str ~%cnt% 	7 6 6 5~
 END
 PATCH_IF( cnt=45 OR cnt=46 ) THEN BEGIN
 	SPRINT EVALUATE_BUFFER str ~%cnt% 	7 7 6 5~
 END
 PATCH_IF( cnt=47 OR cnt=48 ) THEN BEGIN
 	SPRINT EVALUATE_BUFFER str ~%cnt% 	7 7 6 6~
 END
 PATCH_IF( cnt=49 OR cnt=50 ) THEN BEGIN
 	SPRINT EVALUATE_BUFFER str ~%cnt% 	8 7 6 6~
 END
 INNER_ACTION BEGIN
	APPEND ~MXSPLPAL.2DA~ "%str%"
 END
 END
BUT_ONLY_IF_IT_CHANGES

This does not do what it is trying to do: add levels 41-50 to the file if they don't exist. It does add levels 41-50 to the file when the file does not have them. However, it also will add some of them to the file when it has them already, like when two mods using this code (TDD + BP) are installed together. This is not good.

The biggest problem with the code is that it assumes levels 1 through 8 are listed in this file, but they are not (since paladins get their first spells at level 9). It counts how many rows the file has to determine if it needs to add more levels, instead of checking what level is listed in the last row of the file. This is a issue for the Ranger table as well.

What you noticed is a different bug existing in both mods:
APPEND_COL ~MXSPLRAN.2DA~ ~9999 9999 4 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 1 1 2 2 2 2 3 3 3 4 4 4 4 5 5 5 5 5 6 6 6 6 6 6~
APPEND_COL ~MXSPLRAN.2DA~ ~9999 9999 5 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 1 1 1 1 2 2 2 2 2 3 3 3 4~
 REPLACE_TEXTUALLY ~9999~	~~
The COPY_EXISTING here should be for MXSPLRAN.2DA, not MXSPLPAL.2DA, since MXSPLRAN's the one that's just had the dummy 9999s added to it.

I'd propose updates to fix this code, but I really don't understand why these mxspl .2da files aren't simply copied over from the mod's folder. 1400 lines of code are used to individually change the majority of the existing values in these six files, then add new values for level 50 rules and more spell levels for paladins and rangers. It seems likely that the other existing values are left unchanged because they match the desired table the mod author(s) had in mind. So, why not condense 40kb of unnecessary, partially buggy patching into 10kb of working, pregenerated files?

Edited by Mike1072, 22 May 2010 - 04:29 PM.