Photo

CTD during battles

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Benji

Benji
  • 25 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 01:34 PM

I've been having problems with the game crashing during some recent battles.

Here is my Error Log for it:

[codebox]

---------------------Start Logging Session---------------------

ASSERTION FAILED!
File: ObjCreature.cpp
Line: 20895

Exp: FALSE

Msg: no msg.
Run Debugger?[/codebox]

If it helps, my Weidu log is here: [url="http://www.shsforums.net/index.php?showtopic=42943"]http://www.shsforums.net/index.php?showtopic=42943[/url]

This problem started when I did the two castles quest out of (I think) Region of Terror. I was fighting the cyclops and the game would crash after I killed a random number of them. I got past the problem by Ctrl-Ying them. I managed to defeat the Magi in the castle with no problems (although I might have killed them too quick for the error to happen) then it happened again when I was fighting Olmar and his guards, again solved by using Ctrl-Y.

After that, I went to De'Arnise keep where I had the same problem with the monster spawns out of Beyond the Law, again I used Ctrl-Y on them. I've never had this problem fighting them before.

Now I have the problem against the Fanatics in the Government district that are holding Viconia captive.

I think that the error log is telling me there is a problem with the CRE files, but I don't know which files I should look into or even if they're all caused by this problem.

Does anyone know what's gone wrong?

#2 Arkenor

Arkenor
  • 255 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 01:44 PM

Do they go through any summoning animations right before the crash? Only thing I can think of off-hand is that they might be trying to summon a broken creature, either because the spell is calling a cre that doesn't exist, or the CRE is borked.

Edited by Arkenor, 28 November 2009 - 01:46 PM.

Arkenor Oakshadow
Ark's Ark Whois
Meddling in the affairs of modders. Modding in the affairs of genie.

#3 Benji

Benji
  • 25 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 01:47 PM

Do they go through any summoning animations right before the crash? Only thing I can think of off-hand is that they might be trying to summon a broken creature, either because the spell is calling a cre that doesn't exist, or the CRE is borked.

I never noticed any summoning animations. The Cyclops monsters can't summon anything, I didn't notice anything with Olmar/BtL Spawns/Fanatics. I wasn't summoning anything myself either.

#4 Arkenor

Arkenor
  • 255 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 01:50 PM

I never noticed any summoning animations. The Cyclops monsters can't summon anything, I didn't notice anything with Olmar/BtL Spawns/Fanatics. I wasn't summoning anything myself either.

They can't normally, but stack enough mods and folks can start doing some unexpected things sometimes. Might be worth taking a peek at the creatures causing this problem (and their scripts) in Near Infinity and seeing what they can do, at any rate. If CTRL-Ying stops the crash from happening, then it has to be to do with something they do while they're alive.

Edited by Arkenor, 28 November 2009 - 01:55 PM.

Arkenor Oakshadow
Ark's Ark Whois
Meddling in the affairs of modders. Modding in the affairs of genie.

#5 Benji

Benji
  • 25 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 02:00 PM

They can't normally, but stack enough mods and folks can start doing some unexpected things sometimes. Might be worth taking a peek at the creatures causing this problem (and their scripts) in Near Infinity and seeing what they can do, at any rate. If CTRL-Ying stops the crash from happening, then it has to be to do with something they do while they're alive.

I've never used NI before, so I just downloaded it. There's nothing special in there. It just shows the Cyclops as having one attack, it's melee one.

#6 Bloodtitan

Bloodtitan
  • 406 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 02:07 PM

the one thing all your crashing battles have in common is you and your party and their equipment. i would not focus on the cyclopses here. it might be a corrupt item or item animation, or what said item is doing either to you or your opponent upon hit and/or kill.

#7 Benji

Benji
  • 25 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 02:13 PM

the one thing all your crashing battles have in common is you and your party and their equipment. i would not focus on the cyclopses here. it might be a corrupt item or item animation, or what said item is doing either to you or your opponent upon hit and/or kill.

I haven't had any change to party equipment in such a long time. I would have thought that, if what you say is true, then the problem would have occurred numerous times before this.

After having a quick look through my items, there is nothing that has been a problem before.

#8 Benji

Benji
  • 25 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 06:57 AM

Does anyone else have any ideas?

#9 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 12:42 PM

If it helps, my Weidu log is here: http://www.shsforums...showtopic=42943

Do you still have the CRE Fixer from that thread installed? Though it may not fix this, because it's a different type of error. You'd have to figure out the area codes of the areas you're getting problems in, or the .cre file names that are causing issues. I'm not familiar with any of those creatures so I can't look at them without knowing the filenames. Or it could indeed be an item on one of your characters, maybe even something like an invalid stack of ammunition.

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#10 Benji

Benji
  • 25 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 06:39 AM

Do you still have the CRE Fixer from that thread installed? Though it may not fix this, because it's a different type of error. You'd have to figure out the area codes of the areas you're getting problems in, or the .cre file names that are causing issues. I'm not familiar with any of those creatures so I can't look at them without knowing the filenames. Or it could indeed be an item on one of your characters, maybe even something like an invalid stack of ammunition.

Well it happens in every area that's had a battle so far. This includes (so far): AR1000, AR1304, AR0400 and others added by mods. I've had a look at change-logs for those areas and nothing seems out of place in them. I don't know all the CRE file names, but the ones I've been able to find show nothing odd either. I don't have any invalid ammunition as it's all generic stuff that I've been using throughout the entire game.

The only other thing I can think of is that just before I started getting these problems was when I did the Planar Sphere mod. It was all going fine until after I'd finished the final boss of that off. I ditched all the rewards I got from it, just in case they were causing the problem, but you also get a new ability from it as well. I've never used this ability, but it's still there in the 'Special Abilities' part of my main character. Would that possibly be it?

#11 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 02:02 PM

I've never used this ability, but it's still there in the 'Special Abilities' part of my main character. Would that possibly be it?

Could be - if it's an inherent ability like reflect projectiles, it could be buggy. Do you know what it's called? Might also want to attach a saved game or exported character.

Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#12 Benji

Benji
  • 25 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 02:11 PM

I've never used this ability, but it's still there in the 'Special Abilities' part of my main character. Would that possibly be it?

Could be - if it's an inherent ability like reflect projectiles, it could be buggy. Do you know what it's called? Might also want to attach a saved game or exported character.

The ability is called 'Sorcery'. From the description I've found online, when used it deals damage to all enemies near you. Nothing I could find about any passive abilities, although I might be wrong.

I tried to attach my .sav file, both compressed and on it's own, but the forum is telling me I'm not permitted to upload it :(

#13 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 06:18 PM

I tried to attach my .sav file, both compressed and on it's own, but the forum is telling me I'm not permitted to upload it

That is weird - you should be able to .zip or .rar and attach it if you're registered. But I looked at the spell in the Planar Sphere mod. It definitely looks buggy. There is one spell (spcl668.spl) that supposedly does what you describe, though even that looks suspect. There is another one (spcl667.spl) that looks even worse. That applies another spell as an innate ability. That spell is psqsor.spl which applies a permanent creature summoning effect of psq04.eff, which in turn summons pssorc.cre, some sort of invisible stalker with 1000hp, which has a script of pssorc.bcs, which in turn is supposed to, oddly, force the player to initiate a dialogue with himself. The creature itself has no dialogue. I'm not sure what it's actually supposed to do. You might try using NearInfinity or ShadowKeeper to remove it from your character, or at least try to see what spell it is exactly.

(Why in hells does this mod back up the entire override folder? Great way to bloat up disk space and search speed for no good reason.)

#14 Benji

Benji
  • 25 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 07:00 AM

I tried to attach my .sav file, both compressed and on it's own, but the forum is telling me I'm not permitted to upload it

That is weird - you should be able to .zip or .rar and attach it if you're registered. But I looked at the spell in the Planar Sphere mod. It definitely looks buggy. There is one spell (spcl668.spl) that supposedly does what you describe, though even that looks suspect. There is another one (spcl667.spl) that looks even worse. That applies another spell as an innate ability. That spell is psqsor.spl which applies a permanent creature summoning effect of psq04.eff, which in turn summons pssorc.cre, some sort of invisible stalker with 1000hp, which has a script of pssorc.bcs, which in turn is supposed to, oddly, force the player to initiate a dialogue with himself. The creature itself has no dialogue. I'm not sure what it's actually supposed to do. You might try using NearInfinity or ShadowKeeper to remove it from your character, or at least try to see what spell it is exactly.

(Why in hells does this mod back up the entire override folder? Great way to bloat up disk space and search speed for no good reason.)

When I was playing through the mod, there were a number of things in there that I thought were quite buggy, but they still seemed to work for the most part. I'll try changing the character to remove all things I got from that mods, just in case it was something I overlooked.

On trying again, it seems I can actually attach my save file this time, so here it is:

Attached File  Save_File.zip   1.33MB   205 downloads

#15 -Jamie-

-Jamie-

Posted 22 December 2012 - 08:28 PM

It could be a very late solution, but I leave it for any other people annoyed with this problem.

I had the exact same error code to the poster's, and I had installed 'Planar Sphere mod'.
I found it had something to do with an item "Doom Bolt +3(item code: PSBOLT01)".
Thank you for the inspiration, Miloch :)

My F/M/T equipped a crossbow with that bolt, and at the very time shooting that, the game crashes.
So I removed bolts and tried it again, then the game works fine. :clap: I've tried it with other stacks of ammunition I have, they had no problem.
If there are any players who suffered from this error code, please try it without Doom Bolt +3.

Thanks again, Miloch.

#16 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 09:41 PM

PSBOLT01's item effects are messy... The crash happens because it's trying to cast the Doom spell - problem being, the Target of the spell is set as "None" :lol:

Here's a modified PSBOLT01.ITM for the original mod in case you wanna reinstall (or you could drop it into the override folder but the descriptions and name might mess up :P You could still play with it though...)

Changed the Cast Spell on Condition (232) effect to have:
- Target -> Preset target
- Probability1 -> 100
- Save vs. -> Spells

Also, removed all the fake 'Doom'ing effects that the author put in the item (probably because the spell never fired properly :P)

PS: The original item also increased the base THAC0 of its target by 3... Probably because this is a +3 item and might've been intended to target self (which the item already does btw). Isn't Doom supposed to be a curse for those affected? :D

Attached Files

Edited by Lollorian, 22 December 2012 - 09:44 PM.

"I am the smiley addict, yellow and round, this is my grin :D when I'm usually around :P.
When there's trouble brewing, see me post, cuz it's usually a wall o' yellow and your eyes are toast!!!"

BWP GUIDE - BWP FIXES - impFAQ - NPC LIST - KIT LIST - AREA LIST

GitHub Links : BWP Fixpack | Lolfixer | BWP Trimpack | RezMod