IA Comments

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#21 Erephine

Erephine

leit að lífi

• 1912 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 07:08 PM

Updated the porting thread and added links (it's a proper name!)

Looks fine to me now :)

崇高滑稽
·

#22 Arkenor

Arkenor
  • 255 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 07:17 PM

Updated the porting thread and added links (it's a proper name!)

Looks fine to me now :)

It's a good tool. Made it easy once I got over my initial terror of breaking everybody's game forever!
Arkenor Oakshadow
Ark's Ark Whois
Meddling in the affairs of modders. Modding in the affairs of genie.

#23 Erephine

Erephine

leit að lífi

• 1912 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 07:30 PM

Thanks. ^_^

If there's anything you'd like to see added/changed feel free to suggest away.

崇高滑稽
·

#24 Hoppy

Hoppy

Mage Hunter

• 2107 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 08:16 PM

I could help make some animations lists for big mods that I know fairly well. I am not their maintainer but I could do TS-BP, RoT, TDD, SoS and CtB. The reason why I am interested is to create some better animations to improve compatibility since there exists some duplicates even in King Diamond's animation chart.

I followed your topic a little before this forum and I have experimented making new animations for creatures in TDD based on Cuv's work with the PS:T animations. I used his models and reduced with the Python tool and the tutorials that float around to reduce the size. Night Hags were reduced by me and are awesome and the creature exists in TDD and Planar Sphere mod and it would be nice if I can use those instead of Bodhi's animation or contribute to the animation list.

Let me know how I can help at least for the big mods I listed as I do know them pretty well. I f someone is already doing this then I can help them too to save some time.

Thanks! :cheers:
?May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies.? - Voltaire

"If you think that a size of the mod indicates an amount of bugs that it introduces and their severity you're totally wrong...
Try not to use next time a load of shitty "super-mega-improving-tweaking-revising" small mods that you have installed and try to meet Wulfgar once again."
- King Diamond

Posted Image The Definitive Guide to Trolls

"Finding food and a place to sleep is your own business. I imagine Paul the Cat should have some fun with you, too" - Potencius in The Darkest Day
"You have been warned, little bastard!" -Khelben to a young <CHARNAME>in Check the Bodies
There are those who will snivel, and offer nothing in return except criticism, meanwhile never lifting a finger to do other than to cut other peoples labor down simply for the fact that they lack the capability to put anything of their own together. -erebusant

#25 Erephine

Erephine

leit að lífi

• 1912 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 08:39 PM

I followed your topic a little before this forum and I have experimented making new animations for creatures in TDD based on Cuv's work with the PS:T animations. I used his models and reduced with the Python tool and the tutorials that float around to reduce the size. Night Hags were reduced by me and are awesome and the creature exists in TDD and Planar Sphere mod and it would be nice if I can use those instead of Bodhi's animation or contribute to the animation list.

If it's ported into an IWD slot, it needs to be re-converted from scratch.

崇高滑稽
·

#26 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 09:24 PM

This is supposed to be Belhifet:

Posted Image

He has the prefix MBE1 in IWD's files (not MTAN).

O .. M .. G!!!

Please, more previews :wub: :Bow: :Bow: :Bow: (to HELL with bandwidth!!! :devil:)

Cheers,
Lol

"I am the smiley addict, yellow and round, this is my grin :D when I'm usually around :P.
When there's trouble brewing, see me post, cuz it's usually a wall o' yellow and your eyes are toast!!!"

BWP GUIDE - BWP FIXES - impFAQ - NPC LIST - KIT LIST - AREA LIST

GitHub Links : BWP Fixpack | Lolfixer | BWP Trimpack | RezMod

#27 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 10:11 PM

(that's an insane number of quotes we're up to there. ;) )

Heh, yeah, well I'll try to keep it brief, if for no other reason than that I'm a heavy-handed half-orc editor by trade (well sort of).

somewhat averse to WeiDUing everything I confess

But WeiDU is your friend, regardless of what propaganda you may have read on BWL or such places. I am not a priest or even a convert of the religion (if it is one) but I've recognised it for one reason if no other: it is the de facto IE modding standard. It's a bit late in the game to try to invent another, though there could well be several better alternates, in theory anyhow.

If you'd like to write a smart .IDS patch I'm not stopping you

As for IDS files and patching vs. overwriting, I can only speak from observation and experience. Several mods, particularly older ones, thought it'd be a good idea if they just up and overwrote their idea of what those IDS files should be. Some just copy the *existing* files without making any changes, for some obscure reason. Well, all of that causes issues, and patching causes very few, if any, from what I've seen. And it's quite easy to do. If it's a question of IDS files following a certain order, I'm sure the bigg could implement a PRETTY_PRINT_IDS just as there is for PRETTY_PRINT_2DA. Your point is valid, in that by your methodology, the IDSs should be identical anyway, but in practice I can see potential problems, even if the mods do nothing else but overwrite identical copies (though leave it to just one modder to muck things up with overwriting).

Anyway, for patching *all* it needs is the added APPEND ... UNLESS ... language I've indicated. That's it. Put that in your .tp2 file and really, that's all you need to patch the IDSes with new entries, and WeiDU is very precise (anal?) about how it appends things, so I doubt you'd end up with 10,000 extra line breaks.

Are you sure that it's OK to just go grabbing the animations from other mods? I'll start with the Drizzt Saga ones, seeing as you mentioned Flysoup was alright with it.

Yes, I'm absolutely certain, because I don't know of *any* animations from existing mods that are original works, so if you want to seek permission, you'd have to do so from the game inventors (BioWare etc.). And you're porting it from one of their games to another, so forget it. If you really want the true animations, go to the original source (IWD1/2 or whatever for most of these) but that probably isn't necessary as long as you grab the *right* animations. I do know Galactygon did some good work with the LC animations (on blackwyrmlair.net) including the fact he corrected some of the default ones, so those may be good as a source. But you should also be ok with grabbing them from the megamods, since they're fairly well-tested by now (though some of them have probably never shown the animations they intended due to conflicts).

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#28 Erephine

Erephine

leit að lífi

• 1912 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 10:34 PM

I'm going to disagree and say go to the original source where it conveniently exists. Definitely for IWD and PST (no need for corrections at all for the former?).

But WeiDU is your friend, regardless of what propaganda you may have read on BWL or such places. I am not a priest or even a convert of the religion (if it is one) but I've recognised it for one reason if no other: it is the de facto IE modding standard. It's a bit late in the game to try to invent another, though there could well be several better alternates, in theory anyhow.

I haven't read any propaganda, have I missed out on anything? :( I agree it is the standard, and obviously I'm not against using it where it's convenient. It's more an aversity borne of incompetence than anything else.

Anyway, for patching *all* it needs is the added APPEND ... UNLESS ... language I've indicated. That's it. Put that in your .tp2 file and really, that's all you need to patch the IDSes with new entries, and WeiDU is very precise (anal?) about how it appends things, so I doubt you'd end up with 10,000 extra line breaks.

It needs to get rid of the LOW entries as well, should they be present.

崇高滑稽
·

#29 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 11:20 PM

It needs to get rid of the LOW entries as well, should they be present.

Well, sure, I was just talking about mod compatibility with adding new entries going forward. Which has traditionally been the problem with modded (particularly megamodded) installs. If the initial install of Infinity Animations wants to overwrite a "correct" version of the IDS files, I probably wouldn't oppose that. But at the same time, patching it (whether via APPEND, REPLACE_TEXTUALLY or whatever) really isn't that hard, and I'll help with that if needed, and certainly with adding new entries (which a minor revision to your text boxes should accommodate, as I mentioned).

I haven't read any propaganda, have I missed out on anything

No, unless you're really bored and want a good laugh or two :D.

Edit: "accommodate" has 2 Cs and 2 Ms in non-orcish languages.

Edited by Miloch, 02 December 2009 - 11:24 PM.

Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#30 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 03:26 AM

Patching the base files with WeiDU would be a mess without much reason (for me anyway) because EVERYONE has the same vanilla animation info, and the extended info is going to be the same for everyone too.

On the contrary, it keeps it from being a mess. Apart from what I mentioned, another problem is that every mod and its brother is going to start overwriting these files repetitively (and perhaps with false data). All they really need to do is check if the specific entries they're using are already present and add it if not (the APPEND ... UNLESS does that just fine). Now if this is installed early and overwrites complete, non-glitchy IDS files to begin with, that's fine, but it's the subsequent modders I'm worried about.

Well, the mess totally depends on the install order... and as the most BiG World installs have already totally messed up animations, it might be better to just start over, first regenerate the original list of the animation IDS, and the .bam's by overwriting everyone of them(well the once that any mod modifies) and their brother, then removing the LOW versions... and then adding the new once to the old, and then patch the .cre files according to the new table(the once that need to, if they are found in the game). The last part could be done in a ever more often updated in the CRE correction mod, so the main mod only has to be downloaded every so often.

Yes, that method will make this download a bit bigger, but it will remove the need to actually upload them in the actual mods when they get updated, if they ever do. And yes, as this mod is like the Worldmap mod(overwrite everything and then patches if it finds a mod that needs a patch), so it will need to be installed after all the other animation adding mods...

But at the same time, patching it (whether via APPEND, REPLACE_TEXTUALLY or whatever) really isn't that hard, and I'll help with that if needed, and certainly with adding new entries (which a minor revision to your text boxes should accommodate, as I mentioned).

Well, it would be fine, if the patching was done after all the animations were still correct, but after a few big mods, it hardly is, especially when it comes to the correct .bam files.

The total overwrite also gives a good base for the few TC mods out there, as they can adjust the list and needed files... which should engorage them to give every animation they have to this list.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola, 03 December 2009 - 03:44 AM.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#31 Erephine

Erephine

leit að lífi

• 1912 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 05:25 PM

Updated the core download! :)

The patch is still the same, just updated the tool. Changes include:

- You can no longer bug the listing by entering certain animation names
- The ID browser now supports animation previews (via .gif files in the preview/ subfolder)
- Long animation names are no longer cut off in the preview area
- You can now build complete ANIMATE.ids and ANISND.ids files from the listing
- With the ability to toggle between BGII and IWD .ids style (GOBLIN_AXE <-> Goblin, Axe)
- Supports WeiDU output for added .ids entries (at least I hope I got it right)
- Remembers your preferences and last batch directory
- If your browser supports alternate stylesheets you can now view the readme with a different layout :P

Enjoy :)

崇高滑稽
·

#32 Galactygon

Galactygon

Modding since 2002

• 938 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 03:02 AM

As the author of Bestial Animations the least I can say is impressive, Erephine. My solution for using weapon slots of creatures as creatures themselves Bestial Animations had the problem where killed creatures disappear, since weapon animations do not play on death. The other problem I ran into was the shortage of hardcoded slots with large foot circles. So I ended up placing all the giant and demon animations into 3 or 4 slots, and the reason for the awkward avatar convention in Bestial Animations.

Your way of hacking the .exe is much better than anything I would have done, without the problems I mentioned.

A question on recoloured creatures: does it involve much work to create palettable animations (ala BGI) for Genies, Beholders, Demons, etc. instead of supplying different coloured variants?

-Galatygon
Posted Image

#33 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 06:39 AM

A question on recoloured creatures: does it involve much work to create palettable animations (ala BGI) for Genies, Beholders, Demons, etc. instead of supplying different coloured variants?

I think it would, as you'd have to either design a palette that fits for all animation sequences or redo them all frame by frame with a new palette. Maybe Erephine has a quicker way. I'd like to palettable animations for most creatures... most humanoids anyway, but I suspect it'd be a lot of work.

The recolours I did were quite easy as I just exported the BAM palette to a BMP with BAM Workshop, shifted that with Paint Shop Pro using the Adjust > Hue and Saturation tools and then applied the bitmap to all BAMs in the animation with BAM Batcher. But that does not replicate to at least some IWD animations, which apparently don't all use the same palette (though the ones I looked at were quite close - just off by a palette entry or two). I'm sure Erephine has a better technique - I'd love to see a tutorial for it, as would others I'm sure.

#34 Erephine

Erephine

leit að lífi

• 1912 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 03:32 PM

Okay, slight update: I've added these and recoloured the shadows (finally), will upload as soon as the download manager comes back :)

The core patch needs an update as well, there was a bug with the IWD animation slot (in the original game) that needed fixing. If you could PM/send me the current state of your installer we could conveniently time this with officially going WeiDU (even if there's still some things to sort out).

Happy new year everyone :hug:

崇高滑稽
·

#35 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 01:04 AM

Excellent work, Erephine. Wall o'post ahead, just try to struggle through, for the sake of IA's completion :).

Okay, slight update: I've added these and recoloured the shadows (finally), will upload as soon as the download manager comes back :)

It's back - so I read anyway. If you don't get around to uploading them in the next couple days, could you let me know the archive names at least, for coding purposes. Also, which shadows ended up as which.

The core patch needs an update as well, there was a bug with the IWD animation slot (in the original game) that needed fixing. If you could PM/send me the current state of your installer we could conveniently time this with officially going WeiDU (even if there's still some things to sort out).

Was it the head-turning glitch I mentioned or something else? Still waiting on a couple answers to finish up phase 2, but it's pretty much done once those are answered (apart from fun stuff like testing and documentation :blink:). Anyway, I could send you the patch part now I guess, but I really just need a couple bits of information to finish this phase (everything but the sounds).

Regarding the questions I asked here, I answered most of them myself (sort of).

Skeletons don't support armour animations (maybe they can be added?). SkeletonA is armoured by default, and supports weapon animations but not shields. It is a bit larger than it should be (should be 6-7' or so) but a skeleton warrior is "clad in the blackened armor and rotted trappings it wore in its former life." Comparison:
skelwa01.gif
I don't mind providing two choices or even 3, but the barrow wight animation crashed my game, whether it was armed or not. Just to make sure something didn't go awry with my install or patch, I tried other new animations, even NWN ones, and they worked. I copied all the barrow wight animations in your archive. Does it depend on something else or is there a bug here?

Regarding sounds ("phase 3" of this), I've started that and have been following up on it here. In short, we'll probably need a combination of 2DAs and CRE-assigned sounds to do this optimally, but mainly 2DAs. We'll need them even for base animations that aren't present in BG2 by default, since the 2DAs aren't either (nor are they in IWDs - they have to be constructed from sounds.ini as described there).

I think it best to leave the sounds in WAVC format. They're already compressed, perhaps not optimally, but it would be a serious pain to oggify and deoggify them at install time, plus you're losing quality with that. So as for this:

Arkenor's Shadows_harpy_frostgiant.zip has sounds in both formats, so one or the other will need to be changed. Or both.

We should delete all the .ogg, .wav and .2da files from this, as they aren't really done properly (not Arkenor's fault but whichever mod he nabbed them from). Otherwise they'll get copied to the override during install and we don't really want that (not for OGGs certainly, which are not readable in the game unless decoded). I think he has the right idea though... we should probably include the relevant .wavc and .2da files with their related animations rather than providing them separately, because then folks will have to download a bunch of sounds they don't necessarily want. But it probably makes no real difference to the average megamodder who will need to download everything anyhow. Your call.

NWN sounds usually have to be converted BMU > MP3 > WAV > WAVC. All have the WAV extension but are not necessarily WAVs. On top of that the volume needs to be reduced a bit as they are usually louder than IE sounds. The good news is I've done this for existing NWN animations you've ported. The bad news is it's a serious pain, since a lot of the animations were buried in the CEP or CCP. Then you have to find a creature template (.utc) that has both the animation you're using in appearance.2da and cross reference its soundset by the number in soundset.2da. And find the latest version of those (probably in whichever patch or .hak you most recently installed) because there are several different ones in various places. Then you need to grab the relevant .ssf and ".wav" files and convert those accordingly. As bad as that is, I suppose it isn't as bad as converting the actual animations. The only thing resembling a walkthrough on that I found is here, which is a good 5 years old.

While I was there hacking around in NWN, I noticed a few animations we could use. These would all be usable in an unmodded game. The first three all generally use the sirine animation. It's inappropriate being a sea creature, but being palettable it might do for all but the erinyes which should be winged. Now if the succubus you ported is palettable that could suffice for the erinyes too, but in any case, it's good to have variants. The greater mummy should have priestly garb per PnP and the giant troll should be larger and redder also per PnP as is the NWN troll chief.
  • c_dryad.mdl (Dryad)
  • z_erinyes3.mdl (or z_erinyes.mdl, erinyes.mdl, wg_erinyes.mdl)
  • c_nymph.mdl (Nymph)
  • c_mum_priest01.mdl (Greater Mummy)
  • c_trollchief (Giant Troll)
The animations below are used in mods. The gelugon invariably gets an inappropriate animation. The closest is probably what aVENGER came up with - the ice salamander - but even that isn't right as it has no legs. I wasn't able to get the NWN CEP gelugon to display properly in the viewer, though even Bioware claims there's a workable gelugon somewhere in it. Drizzt Saga uses a medusa (using - guess what - a sirine animation) and Aurora could use some prettier svirfneblin (and perhaps so could the Underdark).
  • c_gelugon.mdl (Gelugon)
  • c_medusa.mdl (Medusa)
  • c_ysvirfgirl.mdl (Svirfneblin Female)
  • c_ysvirfman.mdl (Svirfneblin Male)
The animations below are not currently used that I know of, though there's some demand discussed in this forum - the roper at least could make a better yochlol and the gelatinous cube would just be so cool I might have to mod it the minute such an animation appears :D.
  • c_jelly.mdl (Gelatinous Cube)
  • c_roper_at1.mdl (Roper)
Some, but not all screenshots, because I couldn't palette them all properly in the NWN Viewer or whatever. Even the ones I did sample don't do them justice, since they're quite static and on a dark background at that.
c_dryad.gif c_nymph.gif c_medusa.gif c_mum_priest01.gif c_ysvirfgirl.gif c_ysvirfman.gif c_trollchief.gif c_gelugon.gif c_jelly.gif

(From left: dryad, nymph, medusa, greater mummy, svirfneblin female, svirfneblin male, iant troll, gelugon (botched), gelatinous cube)

Oh and before I forget, I went to slot some miscellaneous animations but wasn't quite sure where they should go, even after reading the chart. I've got a maurezhi repaletted from a ghoul (after discussions with aVENGER) which I'm fairly sure is a "BG1 Simple Monster" but not positive since it could conceivably be a "BG1 Simple Caster" since the sequence count is otherwise the same. Along the same lines I repaletted a simple Nishruu and Hakeashar from the "blob_mist" animation or whatever. They would seem to be a BGII Unsplit Ext. animation, though they have only 40 sequences in each animation, instead of the listed 72/63. Finally, I wanted to slot Moinesse's vampire, ninja and barbarian at least, if not the rest of her avatars, since we can use those on a few existing/modded creatures. While I would guess they'd be "Character BGII" animations, I don't know whether they're fine as-is or need to have weapon series copied over from somewhere else or anything.

[/end wall o'post]

And a Happy New Year to you :).

Edited by Miloch, 30 September 2011 - 04:23 PM.

#36 Erephine

Erephine

leit að lífi

• 1912 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 06:49 PM

Excellent work, Erephine. Wall o'post ahead, just try to struggle through, for the sake of IA's completion :).

It's back - so I read anyway. If you don't get around to uploading them in the next couple days, could you let me know the archive names at least, for coding purposes. Also, which shadows ended up as which.

*struggles through*

It is back, and I'm (trying to) upload as we speak. I'm hoping the ftp is upload is functional :)

edit to say it's uploaded. The base animation shadows are the originals. I can't edit Arkenor's upload so I'm not sure how to update the other ones though. I would have attached them here for now, but can't (same reason as you). In the meantime you can look at the recolours in the preview .gifs with the updated core download (:

Was it the head-turning glitch I mentioned or something else? Still waiting on a couple answers to finish up phase 2, but it's pretty much done once those are answered (apart from fun stuff like testing and documentation :blink:). Anyway, I could send you the patch part now I guess, but I really just need a couple bits of information to finish this phase (everything but the sounds).

It's not a glitch; as I said the IWD .bam files are intentionally designed that way. It's how they appear in the original game.

Skeletons don't support armour animations (maybe they can be added?). SkeletonA is armoured by default, and supports weapon animations but not shields. It is a bit larger than it should be (should be 6-7' or so) but a skeleton warrior is "clad in the blackened armor and rotted trappings it wore in its former life." Comparison:
Posted Image
I don't mind providing two choices or even 3, but the barrow wight animation crashed my game, whether it was armed or not. Just to make sure something didn't go awry with my install or patch, I tried other new animations, even NWN ones, and they worked. I copied all the barrow wight animations in your archive. Does it depend on something else or is there a bug here?

If by armour animations you mean things other than shields and helmets, they can't be added for the simple reason the game does not have any at all (the different armour levels for characters are part of the base animations).

The Barrow Wight definitely should not crash. :/ Does it crash on loading or during the game? I'll see if I can replicate this and let you know more as soon as I get the chance.

Regarding sounds ("phase 3" of this), I've started that and have been following up on it

[...]

difference to the average megamodder who will need to download everything anyhow. Your call.

It sounds like you've given this quite some thought, so I'll respectfully disagree and say it's your call. ;) Just let me know if anything needs updating/changing.

As bad as that is, I suppose it isn't as bad as converting the actual animations. The only thing resembling a walkthrough on that I found is here, which is a good 5 years old.

It's actually not very bad, just a little tedious.

While I was there hacking around in NWN, I noticed a few animations we could use. These would all be usable in an unmodded game. The first three all generally use the sirine animation. It's inappropriate being a sea creature, but being palettable it might do for all but the erinyes which should be winged. Now if the succubus you ported is palettable that could suffice for the erinyes too, but in any case, it's good to have variants. The greater mummy should have priestly garb per PnP and the giant troll should be larger and redder also per PnP as is the NWN troll chief.

• c_dryad.mdl (Dryad)
  • z_erinyes3.mdl (or z_erinyes.mdl, erinyes.mdl, wg_erinyes.mdl)
  • c_nymph.mdl (Nymph)
  • c_mum_priest01.mdl (Greater Mummy)
  • c_trollchief (Giant Troll)
The animations below are used in mods. The gelugon invariably gets an inappropriate animation. The closest is probably what aVENGER came up with - the ice salamander - but even that isn't right as it has no legs. I wasn't able to get the NWN CEP gelugon to display properly in the viewer, though even Bioware claims there's a workable gelugon somewhere in it. Drizzt Saga uses a medusa (using - guess what - a sirine animation) and Aurora could use some prettier svirfneblin (and perhaps so could the Underdark).
  • c_gelugon.mdl (Gelugon)
  • c_medusa.mdl (Medusa)
  • c_ysvirfgirl.mdl (Svirfneblin Female)
  • c_ysvirfman.mdl (Svirfneblin Male)
The animations below are not currently used that I know of, though there's some demand discussed in this forum - the roper at least could make a better yochlol and the gelatinous cube would just be so cool I might have to mod it the minute such an animation appears :D.
  • c_jelly.mdl (Gelatinous Cube)
  • c_roper_at1.mdl (Roper)
Some, but not all screenshots, because I couldn't palette them all properly in the NWN Viewer or whatever. Even the ones I did sample don't do them justice, since they're quite static and on a dark background at that.

(From left: dryad, nymph, greater mummy, giant troll, gelugon (botched), medusa, svirfneblin female, svirfneblin male, gelatinous cube)

None of the ported NWN animations are going to be palettable. That'd be an awful lot of work to say the least and probably not even look convincing (since they weren't designed with it in mind).

The viewer isn't very great, so I'm sure the animation is fine (it does not display any .dds textures, only low quality .tga files if present). The medusa I was planning to port anyway. I can't port the gelatinous cube or any similar animations because I don't know how to get them to render properly (translucency and effect related).

Oh and before I forget, I went to slot some miscellaneous animations but wasn't quite sure where they should go, even after reading the chart. I've got a maurezhi repaletted from a ghoul (after discussions with aVENGER) which I'm fairly sure is a "BG1 Simple Monster" but not positive since it could conceivably be a "BG1 Simple Caster" since the sequence count is otherwise the same. Along the same lines I repaletted a simple Nishruu and Hakeashar from the "blob_mist" animation or whatever. They would seem to be a BGII Unsplit Ext. animation, though they have only 40 sequences in each animation, instead of the listed 72/63. Finally, I wanted to slot Moinesse's vampire, ninja and barbarian at least, if not the rest of her avatars, since we can use those on a few existing/modded creatures. While I would guess they'd be "Character BGII" animations, I don't know whether they're fine as-is or need to have weapon series copied over from somewhere else or anything. So I'll just attach them here. If you want to go ahead and slot them, that would be fine with me. Otherwise, let me know which slots they take or if there's glitches in them that need to be fixed first.

Crikey, I can't attach files over 1MB :angry: so I'll just link to my erratic server. Hopefully they're still obtainable.

I downloaded them, but I don't know how soon I'll be able to give them a look. To answer the questions I can answer at this point:

The difference between the caster/simple monster animations is merely that the latter has three attack animations and uses the idle animation while casting, while the former uses only two attack animation and uses the extra sequence as a casting animation. The ghoul is originally a non-casting animation.

The blob mist animation has one sequence for each file so I'm not sure which you mean? If you do indeed mean that one, you'd have to port it into a supported slot type which is slightly silly considering it's a series without any animation sequences whatsoever.

For Moinesse's avatars you'd have to add them using their respective character slot type; it's important that you choose the correct subtype of the original animation. The vampire was based on a human male if I remember correctly (so existing object animations should be rendered from the L size category) which means it would have to use a Character BGII WQL slot, etc. I can list which are which, if you prefer.

[/end wall o'post]

And a Happy New Year to you :).

Thank you. :)

Edited by Erephine, 04 January 2010 - 07:06 PM.

崇高滑稽
·

#37 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 06:47 PM

The Barrow Wight definitely should not crash. :/ Does it crash on loading or during the game? I'll see if I can replicate this and let you know more as soon as I get the chance.

It crashes as soon as I CLUA in a CRE with its animation set to that (0x528d). I get nothing in baldur.err with Logging On=1 set in baldur.ini. All I get is this message:
bwight.gif
Also attached is the CRE I used.
Attached File  t-skelbw.cre   1.17K   538 downloads

The blob mist animation has one sequence for each file so I'm not sure which you mean? If you do indeed mean that one, you'd have to port it into a supported slot type which is slightly silly considering it's a series without any animation sequences whatsoever.

It is blob_mist_creature MMST. I don't think it's supposed to have special animations for things like falling down, casting, etc. It is an amorphous blob after all. So is it the BGII Unsplit Ext. slot type then?

For Moinesse's avatars you'd have to add them using their respective character slot type; it's important that you choose the correct subtype of the original animation. The vampire was based on a human male if I remember correctly (so existing object animations should be rendered from the L size category) which means it would have to use a Character BGII WQL slot, etc. I can list which are which, if you prefer.

Probably be best, because you lost me a bit there. Though if you're going to take the trouble to figure them out, maybe it'd be quicker if you slotted them.

Regarding new animations - we could also use the male and female tieflings from PST in an unmodded game.

#38 Erephine

Erephine

leit að lífi

• 1912 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 03:03 PM

Right. I forgot Moinesse's avatars have to be joined anyway (since IA character slots are unsplit).

It is blob_mist_creature MMST. I don't think it's supposed to have special animations for things like falling down, casting, etc. It is an amorphous blob after all. So is it the BGII Unsplit Ext. slot type then?

It's not. I don't know what would happen if you used an animation with one sequence in that type of slot. Might crash, might work.

I can't replicate your issue with the Barrow Wight, though I haven't tested with your .cre:

Posted Image

Are you sure your .ids is pointing to the correct slot (0x528E)?

崇高滑稽
·

#39 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 02:30 AM

I don't know what would happen if you used an animation with one sequence in that type of slot. Might crash, might work.

Crashed :(. Is there something we can do about it? I could repalette the other mist_creature instead, but nishruus and hakeashars are supposed to be more blob-shaped (like here) than humanoid-shaped.

Are you sure your .ids is pointing to the correct slot (0x528E)?

No, it was in 0x528d for some stupid reason. I diffed our IDSes to make sure there weren't any other fat-fingered typos like that, and there weren't (well nothing significant like that anyway).

So the barrow wight supports weapon and shield animations too (and is also armoured) but anyway, there are three choices now for skeleton warriors:
skelwa3.gif
I hit an odd glitch in the reference picker. When I added the maurezhi, it gave me ¥TQ for the prefix instead of £AA in the batch rename function after generating IDS files. No big deal, since I renamed them properly with Bulk Rename, but it was odd.

Anyway, I PMed you the link to the installer. It should be good for uploading if there aren't any other immediate changes necessary. I'll be plucking away at animation sounds but that might take a while. I tested the installer successfully on BG2, Tutu and BGT/BWP (all using the patched ToB .exe obviously). I used several different configurations, but this is what I would call my "recommended install" (IMO anyway :huh:).
~INFINITYANIMATIONS/SETUP-INFINITYANIMATIONS.TP2~ #0 #0 // Infinity Animations: Beta 1
~INFINITYANIMATIONS/SETUP-INFINITYANIMATIONS.TP2~ #0 #50 // Distinctive Genies: Beta 1
~INFINITYANIMATIONS/SETUP-INFINITYANIMATIONS.TP2~ #0 #100 // Distinctive Fiends: Beta 1
~INFINITYANIMATIONS/SETUP-INFINITYANIMATIONS.TP2~ #0 #150 // Pit Fiends -> All get the NWN animation: Beta 1
~INFINITYANIMATIONS/SETUP-INFINITYANIMATIONS.TP2~ #0 #210 // Cambion/Isair Animation -> All cambions: Beta 1
~INFINITYANIMATIONS/SETUP-INFINITYANIMATIONS.TP2~ #0 #260 // Alu-Fiend/Madae Animation -> All alu-fiends: Beta 1
~INFINITYANIMATIONS/SETUP-INFINITYANIMATIONS.TP2~ #0 #400 // Distinctive Undead: Beta 1
~INFINITYANIMATIONS/SETUP-INFINITYANIMATIONS.TP2~ #0 #410 // Skeleton Warriors -> Barrow Wight animation: Beta 1
~INFINITYANIMATIONS/SETUP-INFINITYANIMATIONS.TP2~ #0 #450 // Seer Animation -> Some beggars and slaves: Beta 1
~INFINITYANIMATIONS/SETUP-INFINITYANIMATIONS.TP2~ #0 #480 // Svirfneblin Animations: Beta 1
~INFINITYANIMATIONS/SETUP-INFINITYANIMATIONS.TP2~ #0 #500 // More Base Animations: Beta 1
~INFINITYANIMATIONS/SETUP-INFINITYANIMATIONS.TP2~ #0 #550 // More Icewind Dale Animations: Beta 1
~INFINITYANIMATIONS/SETUP-INFINITYANIMATIONS.TP2~ #0 #600 // More Icewind Dale II Animations: Beta 1
~INFINITYANIMATIONS/SETUP-INFINITYANIMATIONS.TP2~ #0 #650 // More Neverwinter Nights Animations: Beta 1
I also updated the WeiDU patch with your changes while I was at it. I "diffed the diffs" as it were to make sure it was still identical, but here's what I changed to make sure it looks about right:

Changed from:
WRITE_BYTE 0x41ae67 0xed
WRITE_BYTE 0x41ae68 0x98
WRITE_BYTE 0x41ae69 0x1f
WRITE_BYTE 0x41ae6a 0x20
WRITE_BYTE 0x41ae6b 0x20
WRITE_BYTE 0x41ae86 0xed
WRITE_BYTE 0x41ae87 0x79
WRITE_BYTE 0x41ae88 0x1f
WRITE_BYTE 0x41ae89 0x20
WRITE_BYTE 0x41ae8a 0x20

Changed to:
WRITE_BYTE 0x41ae67 0xeb
WRITE_BYTE 0x41ae68 0x42
WRITE_BYTE 0x41ae69 0x90
WRITE_BYTE 0x41ae6a 0x90
WRITE_BYTE 0x41ae6b 0x90
WRITE_BYTE 0x41ae86 0xeb
WRITE_BYTE 0x41ae87 0x23
WRITE_BYTE 0x41ae88 0x90
WRITE_BYTE 0x41ae89 0x90
WRITE_BYTE 0x41ae8a 0x90

Added:
WRITE_BYTE 0x74f875 0x33

And is it just me or is the Animation Listings thread getting impossible to read and post to? Maybe it's because there aren't proper codeboxes anymore, or maybe they need to limit it to 10 posts per page or something, I dunno.

Edited by Miloch, 30 September 2011 - 04:25 PM.

#40 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 06:17 AM

And is it just me or is the Animation Listings thread getting impossible to read and post to? Maybe it's because there aren't proper codeboxes anymore, or maybe they need to limit it to 10 posts per page or something, I dunno.

What about archiving the older info? That should keep the thread short enough that only the current information is displayed. Players can still dig through the archive if they feel the need.

Tired of Bhaal? Try some classics mods instead:
Classic Adventures
Official Classic Adventures Website