BG/BG2 Characters in 3D

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Killraven

Killraven
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 01:46 AM

I've deleted this post, sorry.

Edited by Killraven, 07 December 2009 - 12:37 PM.

#2 Chevalier

Chevalier

Knight of the Realms

• Modder
  • 2405 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 01:56 AM

Do you really think they would wear that much clothing???? :naughty: :Tasty:

I Ride for the King!

a.k.a. Chev

#3 Killraven

Killraven
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 01:59 AM

Do you really think they would wear that much clothing????     :naughty: :Tasty:

hehehe, this reminds of an optional "cinematic" rule in GURPS Martial Arts: the more ripped your clothing, the better your armor bonus because... it's cool in the movies!
:lol: :lol: :lol:  

(seriously, I just hope this content is not rated "inappropriate")

Edited by Killraven, 07 December 2009 - 02:00 AM.

#4 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 02:11 AM

:lol: In BG, less AC means more defense, right?? So, that's exactly what it means :D (sorry, I just had to) (you need to 'upgrade' your PC's 'armor' :P)

Great pics btw!!! :Bow:

Cheers,
Lol

Edited by Lollorian, 07 December 2009 - 02:13 AM.

"I am the smiley addict, yellow and round, this is my grin :D when I'm usually around :P.
When there's trouble brewing, see me post, cuz it's usually a wall o' yellow and your eyes are toast!!!"

BWP GUIDE - BWP FIXES - impFAQ - NPC LIST - KIT LIST - AREA LIST

GitHub Links : BWP Fixpack | Lolfixer | BWP Trimpack | RezMod

#5 Killraven

Killraven
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 02:53 AM

:lol: In BG, less AC means more defense, right?? So, that's exactly what it means

hehehe you're right, that's just so!

Edited by Killraven, 07 December 2009 - 02:56 AM.

#6 Cykuta

Cykuta
  • 88 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 09:39 AM

Funny how your own character can be fully clothed and armored, and yet all the females run around naked...
Guess what? I've started a blog! Kitchen Witchcraft : of Magic and Macaroni.

#7 Arkenor

Arkenor
  • 255 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 09:48 AM

Nalia seems to have been listening to Elan regarding the best way to be inconspicuous.

http://www.giantitp....s/oots0025.html

If Branwen or Jaheira ever see these, you're going to need to start running.

They're excellent models, and you're a great artist. I just can't see some of them as being the BG2 characters in question, unless maybe they were going to a fancy dress party or headed to the beach, though I suspect even then Aerie would refuse to leave the house dressed like that.

Edited by Arkenor, 07 December 2009 - 10:11 AM.

Arkenor Oakshadow
Ark's Ark Whois
Meddling in the affairs of modders. Modding in the affairs of genie.

#8 Killraven

Killraven
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 11:12 AM

Funny how your own character can be fully clothed and armored, and yet all the females run around naked...

...do you count GoodManners as a female?
:lol:

#9 Killraven

Killraven
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 11:16 AM

But jokes apart I am not 'that kind of person' and real life has shown that many a time...

post removed.

Cheers
^_^

Edited by Killraven, 07 December 2009 - 11:34 AM.

#10 Cal Jones

Cal Jones
  • Modder
  • 1168 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 11:20 AM

Females in scanty armour is a serious pet peeve of mine. What self-respecting female warrior is going to expose herself to swords, knives, arrows and other pointy things in an outfit that doesn't protect any of her vital organs? It stinks of desperate, horny teen.

The quality of the work is good but, seriously, grab a box of Kleenex and a copy of Readers Wives and get that out of your system before you produce your next magnum opus.
(I may, just may forgive you if you can knock up a shirtless Sarevok, though...)

#11 Arkenor

Arkenor
  • 255 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 11:24 AM

Females in scanty armour is a serious pet peeve of mine. What self-respecting female warrior is going to expose herself to swords, knives, arrows and other pointy things in an outfit that doesn't protect any of her vital organs? It stinks of desperate, horny teen.

The quality of the work is good but, seriously, grab a box of Kleenex and a copy of Readers Wives and get that out of your system before you produce your next magnum opus.
(I may, just may forgive you if you can knock up a shirtless Sarevok, though...)

Steady on now. I don't think there's any call to be insulting anyone. It was good art, and he was kind enough to share it with us.

Edited by Arkenor, 07 December 2009 - 11:26 AM.

Arkenor Oakshadow
Ark's Ark Whois
Meddling in the affairs of modders. Modding in the affairs of genie.

#12 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 01:13 PM

It was good art, and he was kind enough to share it with us.

"Was," apparently, is the operative word.

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
================================================================
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#13 Chevalier

Chevalier

Knight of the Realms

• Modder
  • 2405 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 03:38 PM

Cal and Cykuta,

He probability isn't interested in shirtless men. Now, if you or any others who are and wish to produce relevant art (to BG games) you are very welcome to post it here. I for one will not put you down. I know you are both nice girls who really don't wish to offend an artist. The only thing the post might need is a warning "Warning: Women with little clothing" or the best way to keep people from looking "Readme".

It stinks of desperate, horny teen.

Isn't that all teens? Or all artist?

grab a box of Kleenex and a copy of Readers Wives and get that out of your system before you produce your next magnum opus

Want to say the same to Botticelli? Link

I Ride for the King!

a.k.a. Chev

#14 Raiha

Raiha

androgynous starchild

• 50 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 05:04 PM

I looked at these before you deleted them (I assume you deleted them because you felt pressured? that's a shame) and I won't lie, I rather liked them. They were well done and the designs were interesting... and I don't think it's got anything to do with feminism. Well over half the time when I draw my female characters, it's beauty and interesting design over practicality - and quite often including some skimpiness, too! And I'm both female and straight! Imagine that. I can see it being a pet peeve, but really, I think the insults were a little over-the-top.

Plus I don't think it's fair to bash him for a design choice, especially when the amount of vitriol being thrown around here wasn't even close to being balanced with any kind of positive or even constructive criticism.

Anyways, Killraven: what did you use to make them, anyway? Some 3D rendering program, or did you paint them in PS, what?

In Progress
Dravin - NPC for BG2 SoA/ToB

Contributing to:
Fiars
Yvette

#15 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 06:42 PM

WTH?!?

(ok, I may be more of a cheesy, cheating gamer than a full-blown artiste, but this looks ridiculous given the nature of this forum)

While I do respect killraven's decision to remove his pics, it seems more because of the fact that he was a new guy and he seemed to get on the wrong side of one of the staff (a very scary proposition, considering he's new and all)

Anyway, I suppose he's not gonna be visiting here anytime soon (he's even emptied his post in the "Who are you?" thread) But if you do visit again ...

@killraven: You didn't exactly need to remove those images. You posted them in public, you were bound to receive opinions, good and bad. I was always of the notion that if you do something in public and even if one guy praises you, you could probably continue it without hesitation (it's another matter if the entire community hated these, but come on, Chevalier, Arkenor, Raiha and me liked them, hell, even Cal Jones said your work was good)

Just look at the good opinions and (if possible), work on making the bad better

That's just plain wrong. It was his work, and his idea. This line is probably what peeved him off. CREATIVE FREEDOM FTW!!!

Cheers,
Lol

Edited by Lollorian, 07 December 2009 - 06:43 PM.

"I am the smiley addict, yellow and round, this is my grin :D when I'm usually around :P.
When there's trouble brewing, see me post, cuz it's usually a wall o' yellow and your eyes are toast!!!"

#16 Chevalier

Chevalier

Knight of the Realms

• Modder
  • 2405 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 06:43 PM

Because of the warm reception here Killraven has removed his 'Who are You?' post! Great way to welcome a new member! Here and gone in a day. :crying:

I Ride for the King!

a.k.a. Chev

#17 Killraven

Killraven
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 02:21 AM

Sorry for deleting the post.
I have a simple rule: follow the rules

I had read both this
Layers of Reality Rules OK!
and this
Tips to constructive criticism and good commenting

and it seemed to me that the content I posted was OK (nevertheless, for the future you might want to add a rule about "nudity, partial nudity, light clothing, etc" just because it might be appropriate to have one: eg, think about a guy in mood for redoing a painting by Boris Vallejo or Luis Rojo...).

Going too personal was a breech of rule #3 in "Layers of Reality Rules OK!", so I removed the pictures because I expected even worse comments headed on myself rather than the pics I'd posted.

As for the good the criticism,
I will keep those comments in mind for my future renders, thank You!  :)

next, I will be roaming a little bit more in the download area and play my BG/BG2 with nice addon contents I've found all around here

Cheers
Killraven

For the records:
my age equals "max allowable teen" x 2 , or my age = (19 x 2)     :whistling:

Edited by Killraven, 08 December 2009 - 02:27 AM.

#18 Cykuta

Cykuta
  • 88 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 03:10 AM

Hey! Actually, i wanted to say exactly what i said. Starting with "funny" :) . While i share the general "thrust" of Cal's oppinion on the matter, it was actually very amusing to see those characters that way, especially Nalia, though it would be even better if you made Aerie look uncomfortable and blushing. BG is a game that completely avoids such presentation, and the maximum amount of skimpiness is the female mage avatar, which shows a bit of leg. (Le Gasp!) So the contrast was really funny, literally.

And it was funny, literally, to see how the PC was buttoned up to his collar. I thought it was on purpose, actually. I've never dreamed i would offend anyone with that comment. I see now it lacked smileys.
Guess what? I've started a blog! Kitchen Witchcraft : of Magic and Macaroni.

#19 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 04:57 AM

next, I will be roaming a little bit more in the download area and play my BG/BG2 with nice addon contents I've found all around here

Try this :cheers:

Cheers,
Lol

#20 Cal Jones

Cal Jones
  • Modder
  • 1168 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 11:09 PM

Yeah, I came off a little harsh there. I post a lot on a bodybuilding/powerlifting board where everyone swears a lot and are very rude to each other but it's all taken in good spirit - I'd just come from there when I posted here. I was being slightly tongue in cheek but that obviously didn't come across well.

The work is good, as I said - just, well... I worked as a computer games journalist for many years and I saw so many fantasy games where the girls were running around in chainmail bikinis while the guys wore full plate, that it developed into a real pet hate. Worst offender was a game called Deathtrap dungeon where the main character had little more than nipple shields and a thong on. I'm in recruitment now and it happened one of my recent candidates worked on that game. He wasn't exactly proud of it.

Don't be put off posting. I'd like to see what else you can come up with. I can see what you were going for with the Luis/Boris references, although I've always found those two artists' work quite camp, to be honest (although classic in its own way).