Cavalier kit

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 08:35 AM

Ya learn something everyday :coolthumb: (... and it seems to be happening unusually frequently nowadays :P)

Cheers,
Lol

"I am the smiley addict, yellow and round, this is my grin :D when I'm usually around :P.
When there's trouble brewing, see me post, cuz it's usually a wall o' yellow and your eyes are toast!!!"

BWP GUIDE - BWP FIXES - impFAQ - NPC LIST - KIT LIST - AREA LIST

GitHub Links : BWP Fixpack | Lolfixer | BWP Trimpack | RezMod

#22 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 08:43 AM

They were designed more for footmen to kill horsemen.

Erhm, I am pretty sure the weapon(halberd) is actually used to kill the horse, not the man riding on it... this way, when the heavy knight is on the ground, you can come in with superior forces and knock/poke him to death... and you have more mass to aim it against.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#23 Chevalier

Chevalier

Knight of the Realms

• Modder
  • 2405 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 09:38 AM

What!!! :o Kill a very valuable horse???? :huh: They often didn't want to really kill the horseman but disable them so they can ransom him! ^_^ How else could you make money? Well, selling his weapons and armor. 8)

True, they did kill horses and horsemen. ;) I was not going into details on the ways to use the Halberd and Lochaber Axe. :P The hook that I have seen on all Lochaber Axes that I have studied would be used to entangle the opponent so others could kill or capture him. :fish:

Lollorian, is that enough smilies?? :wacko:

I Ride for the King!

a.k.a. Chev

#24 yarpen

yarpen

Drunken Superhero

• 257 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 09:56 AM

They are wrong. I do have some background in historical weapons. First lets talk class (social not D&D), a pole arm is a peasant weapon.

They were quite cheap, allowed to get some simple advantage even when you're non-skilled in fight thanks to range. In Europe knights were using only lances, halberds are domain of henchmans and guards. It's also not so difficult to spot in japaneese culture where men couldn't use spears - it was female's favourite weapon ;)

Right, in european medieval wars knights weren't killed because of money, which their family could put on table for rescuing him from enemie's hands.

No, they are foot soldiers weapons. Cavaliers are mounted fighters.

I think that kit should be focused more on 'brave but stupid' knight than on being mounted fighter. I dunno how it looks in english (about Cavalier/Cavailer word) but polish 'Kawaler' fits far more to footman (Order of Swordman Cavaliers).

Edited by yarpen, 27 December 2009 - 10:00 AM.

#25 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 09:56 AM

Well, all kinds of RTS's seem to make the spear/pike/polearm line have some sorta bonus against cavalry (and yeah, I do imagine gory scenes of horse-kebab when I see pikes :devil:) ... but,

... return to Cavalier, return to the Cavalier :P

About the smilies ... <Burns' voice>Eeeexxcellent</voice> :lol:

Cheers,
Lol

"I am the smiley addict, yellow and round, this is my grin :D when I'm usually around :P.
When there's trouble brewing, see me post, cuz it's usually a wall o' yellow and your eyes are toast!!!"

#26 Chevalier

Chevalier

Knight of the Realms

• Modder
  • 2405 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 10:05 AM

No, they are foot soldiers weapons. Cavaliers are mounted fighters.

I think that kit should be focused more on 'brave but stupid' knight than on being mounted fighter. I dunno how it looks in english (about Cavalier/Cavailer word) but polish 'Kawaler' fits far more to footman (Order of Swordman Cavaliers).

Cavalier (English)/Chevalier (French) means horseman.

I Ride for the King!

a.k.a. Chev

#27 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 10:19 AM

OR

Chivalry + Fighter = Cavalier?? :P

The guy who's the quintessential saver of damsels-in-distress™ (not necessarily associated with religion ... like Paladins <_<)

Cheers,
Lol

#28 Chevalier

Chevalier

Knight of the Realms

• Modder
  • 2405 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 10:31 AM

Or

Noble + Fighter = Knight Heavy armored 'en nobled' warrior for the good of the kingdom. Like you say not a 'holy warrior' or Paladin. Ritter is the German for Chevalier, so Knight might not be as strongly associated with riding.

Chivalry means 'horse ridingness'. A whole code of conduct developed around the mounted warriors. Starting with rules for combat with other knights, then behavior at court. Really no rules about killing peasants and infidels. :unsure:

Edited by Chevalier, 27 December 2009 - 10:38 AM.

I Ride for the King!

a.k.a. Chev

#29 yarpen

yarpen

Drunken Superhero

• 257 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 11:11 AM

And here we come with european nomencalture for a word 'knight'. Please, don't try this. Nearly every country had other classes table where knight had a lot of meanings. And when you connect this with barons, pars, non-pars, hrabias and whole of this sh*tty stuff, gah. Knight isn't the 'battle unit' but title gained from landlord, there were knights who weren't capable of properly wielding sword so associating these two isn't the best solution.

Really no rules about killing peasants and infidels.

Only about their peasants, because someone's other peasant was his good. So rules were very similiar to destroying a thing: payment.

#30 Chevalier

Chevalier

Knight of the Realms

• Modder
  • 2405 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 11:31 AM

Very true yarpen. I was thinking to use Knight as a status and Cavalier as a fighting style. I am looking for a term for a noble warrior kit not directly related to horse riding.

Only about their peasants, because someone's other peasant was his good. So rules were very similiar to destroying a thing: payment.

Also true. I was thinking more during battle, not in a time of peace. It would be just fine for a knight to cut down a peasant warrior fleeing battle from behind.

I Ride for the King!

a.k.a. Chev

#31 Bluenose

Bluenose

The gnome-sage of Ral Worcester

• 1565 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 11:48 AM

Very true yarpen. I was thinking to use Knight as a status and Cavalier as a fighting style. I am looking for a term for a noble warrior kit not directly related to horse riding.

Also true. I was thinking more during battle, not in a time of peace. It would be just fine for a knight to cut down a peasant warrior fleeing battle from behind.

Would Man-at-Arms work for you? It's an often used, late medieval term for heavily armoured warriors fighting mounted or on foot. It doesn't have the same implication about social status as knight/ritter/chevalier/gente d'armas carry, though ot's not something applied to common soldiers either. Armsman is sometimes used as an alternative.

Back from the brink.

Like RPGs? Like Star Wars? Think combining the two would be fun? Read Darths and Droids, and discover the line "Jar Jar, you're a genius".

These, in the day when heaven was falling,
The hour when earth's foundations fled,
Followed their mercenary calling
And took their wages and are dead.

#32 Chevalier

Chevalier

Knight of the Realms

• Modder
  • 2405 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 12:00 PM

I like it Bluenose.

I Ride for the King!

a.k.a. Chev

#33 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 12:14 PM

There is a "Noble Warrior" kit in the 2nd edition Complete Fighter's Handbook, a few pages after the Cavalier kit leahnkain and I quoted. I can't find a link to it, but it sounds like pretty much exactly what you are talking about.

And here's a time-waster for you...
The 2nd Edition AD&D Warrior Kit Test

Edit (my results):

The Outlaw
You scored 56% flamboyance, 22% honor, and 33% urbanity!
You're an outlaw, and you live by the sword, not by the laws of men. You've got a certain flair for drama and a dangerously sexy aura about you, but anybody who trusts in that rakish smile of yours is about to lose something -- their wealth, their virtue, or possibly their life.

Sounds like they got that one bang on target :lol:. Well, mostly anyhow...

Edited by Miloch, 27 December 2009 - 12:18 PM.

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
================================================================
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#34 Tieflingz

Tieflingz

SS Promotionist

• 100 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 09:22 PM

I got the Samurai!

The Samurai
You scored 46% flamboyance, 55% honor, and 39% urbanity!
You are a noble warrior, and honor is your most prized possession. You may serve a lord, and your name may be known throughout the land, but fundamentally what you are is an expression of purity in ideals, and a way of life in accordance with specific and unwavering principles.

I just feel even more Asian now :ph34r:

Hmm, so Halberd would not be used on a horseback, and spear (Since BGII has no 'Lance' proficiency) would be counting as the lance in-game?

Yet something learned about the Knighthood of the medieval times

Cavalier is 騎兵 in Chinese from all those discussion I believe, Knight would be 騎士. Big difference, so from my understanding Cavalier is more of a Soldier and Knight is more of an Officer rank?
I am: Human-Essentric (Halflings/Gnomes/Dwarves/Tieflings are favored)
Fetish: Backstab Ability (That includes Blackguards!)
Alignment: Mainly Any Evil and, to some extent, Chaotic Neutral
Nemesis:
Aasimar (Unless s/he's evil like Belueth the Calm)
Elf (I just don't like those pointy ears)
Paladin (You could guess why)
Weapon of Choice:
Short Sword/Thrown Daggers + Buckler

#35 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 09:39 PM

Ha :D Lookie what I got :P

The Cavalier

You scored 65% flamboyance, 56% honor, and 49% urbanity!
You are a noble warrior, protector of the weak and scourge of those who would do evil. Armed from head to toe, and astride your mighty steed, you know none can stand against you. But your courage in battle is matched only by your gentility toward the innocent under your protection.

Lovely, just lovely :devil:

And about chivalry, nowadays, chivalry almost = courtesy ;) since mountable horses don't exist in BG, I guess, unmounted-protect-the-innocent-type-chivalric-armored-guy best describes the Cavalier :P

Cheers,
Lol

Edited by Lollorian, 27 December 2009 - 09:52 PM.

#36 yarpen

yarpen

Drunken Superhero

• 257 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 04:47 AM

There is a "Noble Warrior" kit in the 2nd edition Complete Fighter's Handbook, a few pages after the Cavalier kit leahnkain and I quoted. I can't find a link to it, but it sounds like pretty much exactly what you are talking about.

Yup, he gets more gold at start and have raised reaction bonus when talking to another nobles (and lowered when talking to non-nobles). PnP grants very interesting kits which are undoable in BG2 because of being combat-oriented game.

But, for paladins, there also exists a kit of Militarist, so a person who's true soldier of his faith. Still I think it doesn't fit to original Chevalier/Cavalier etc. This kit should get more courage-oriented abilities, and I'd love to see Rush ability here.

For bonus, here's Militarist from my old PoF Kitpack:

MILITARIST: The Militarist is a battlefield virtuoso. War is a sacred act, he believes, and a chance for spiritual redemption. By defeating enemies in combat, he pays tribute to his gods and secures his place in the afterlife.

Sphere access:
- None

Advantages:
- +1 to THACO and damage
- Can achieve mastery (3 points) in any weapon
- Once per day per 4 levels can use the 'Smite infidels' ability, which grants him in the next round +4 to THACO and damage bonus.

Disadvantages:
- Can't cast spells
- Can't turn undead

#37 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 05:14 AM

The Cavalier

Hmm, we must be very much alike. Mine. Thanks Miloch.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#38 leahnkain

leahnkain
  • Modder
  • 7658 posts

Donator

Posted 28 December 2009 - 06:20 AM

I thought I would get a better result...

The Swashbuckler

You scored 67% flamboyance, 64% honor, and 71% urbanity!
You are a swashbuckler, quick of wit and quicker of blade. A defender of the weak and a force for justice, you nevertheless enjoy the finer things in life -- a glass of wine, a gorgeous cloak, and the company of the opposite sex.

Anyway one option is we could try to put some of the old 2nd edition fighter kits into BG.

Longing for the old pen and paper modules of the 70's and 80's. Experience AD&D's greatest adventures using the infinity engine: Visit our homepage at http://classicadventuresmod.com/

#39 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 07:08 AM

The Cavalier

Hmm, we must be very much alike. Mine. Thanks Miloch.

Hmmm, same, yet so different :P You're a red Imp, and I'm a yellow smiley Santa :lol: (think how they'd look mounted :woot: ... on a horse :cheers:)

What say thee, Sir Imp? - Lol