Photo

Worldmap component install error

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
21 replies to this topic

#1 dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 09:59 AM

I installed ToDG, and everything went well until the third component. Being a programmer, it bugs me when things don't work and I don't know why. I'm running TOB on a mac using VMWare Fusion to provide a virtual XP machine and I'd like to do a few quick tests to see if I can isolate the cause. The actual error from the debug file is:

[TotDG\backup/2/UNSETSTR.2] SET_STRING uninstall info not found

Can any of you coders tell me what would trigger this error message and where the SET_STRING uninstall info should be?

#2 Lava Del'Vortel

Lava Del'Vortel

Fiction Enforcer

• Modder
  • 2298 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 01:04 AM

I think I have found a solution to this problem. I tried to make a new install and just after the mod was installed I tried to install TotDG and.... poof! The area component didn't work. So, I clicked play, started a new game and after Jon's cutscene I closed BG2. After the game was started and closed, the component installed correctly.
Weird, but it worked for me...

#3 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 11:48 AM

Can any of you coders tell me what would trigger this error message and where the SET_STRING uninstall info should be?

Well I guess it should be in that file indicated (unsetstr.2) but I've no idea what this code is doing, or why it was trying to SET_STRINGs in the first place (which is used to set the text of an existing string in the game to something else).

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#4 Psalm

Psalm
  • 26 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 07:31 PM

LDV suggests that you need to start a game and save it before installing TotDG so that the worldmap component works correctly.

So it's enough to do as the BWP 9.4 user guide instructs and just make a save after the first cut scenes for SoA & ToB before even beginning to install any mods.

Is this correct?

#5 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 08:09 PM

Eh... yeah, should be.

If it doesn't work with no saves present, it sounds like either a defect in GET_DIRECTORY_ARRAY/ACTION_PHP_EACH or in the worldmap function itself (both of which are now inbuild WeiDU features, so a WeiDU bug essentially).

Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#6 Lava Del'Vortel

Lava Del'Vortel

Fiction Enforcer

• Modder
  • 2298 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 02:27 AM

As Miloch says. Both Innershade and TotDG needs at least one save to make the "add to worldmap" component work properly. If you have any old saves, you can even just paste it to new installation Save directory. Mod needs any material to update it.

#7 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 09:30 AM

Actually, I can't reproduce this error with absolutely nothing in my save folder. Need more info to reproduce whatever it was that *did* cause it, as the original post doesn't have the full error message. I think Shaitan had one buried in some other topic, but it turned out to be an antivirus thing or something IIRC.

I did however get a script compile error until I added this to the tp2:

APPEND ~trigger.ids~ ~0x00a1 SpellCastOnMeRES(S:Spell*,O:Caster*)~ UNLESS ~SpellCastOnMeRES~

It's got nothing to do with the worldmap, but you should probably add it (near the beginning of the tp2) in case someone doesn't have another mod that already adds it (I'm guessing the Fixpack - I tested on an unmodded install).

#8 Lava Del'Vortel

Lava Del'Vortel

Fiction Enforcer

• Modder
  • 2298 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 09:51 AM

You mean not the Worldmap error, but the new method of killing Silver Monument, aye? The problem of lack of SpellCastOnMeRES trigger on game without G3 Fixpack, aye? This will add the missing trigger so players will be able to install the mod even if Fixpack wasn't installed?

#9 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 09:54 AM

This will add the missing trigger so players will be able to install the mod even if Fixpack wasn't installed?

Yes.

About the worldmap "error" - like I said, I couldn't reproduce it with or without saves present in the save folder. So whatever the error was, that doesn't appear to be the cause of it. Like I said, it could have been antivirus or something.

#10 Shaitan

Shaitan
  • 800 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 09:56 AM

Actually, I can't reproduce this error with absolutely nothing in my save folder. Need more info to reproduce whatever it was that *did* cause it, as the original post doesn't have the full error message. I think Shaitan had one buried in some other topic, but it turned out to be an antivirus thing or something IIRC.

I'm fairly sure that the abovementioned issue don't stem from antivirus issues. Lava did a component to circumvene my troubles with the worldmap, and that fixed the issue.

Can the Worldmap mod solve such issues?

Cheers

#11 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 10:21 AM

Can the Worldmap mod solve such issues?

I don't know what the issue *is*.

This isn't an error message from the install:

The actual error from the debug file is:

It's a message from the *uninstall*, just as it says. Meaning that an error with the install that *caused* the uninstall would've happened before that. But unless I missed something, I can't see that error message anywhere. I do remember some talk about your issue in the modder's workroom, and as I recall, it cropped up again with FFT and went away when I told you to disable Avast (or whatever you had). But whether that's the same problem as the original post here is a mystery, since we don't know what the initial error in the original post was.

#12 Lava Del'Vortel

Lava Del'Vortel

Fiction Enforcer

• Modder
  • 2298 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 10:26 AM

-This will add the missing trigger so players will be able to install the mod even if Fixpack wasn't installed?-Yes.

Oh, so I will add the line when I make a new release.

About the worldmap - the thing is that I had the same problem Shaitan had. I decided to play a new game, so I made a fresh installation, but TotDG and Innershade didn't want to install. When I made a savegame it worked. I tested that something like 5 times and the lacking savegame was the problem - there was no save to update. However, I'm not sure if it's the thing - I have Vista so everything becomes possible :whistling:

#13 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 10:36 AM

About the worldmap - the thing is that I had the same problem Shaitan had. I decided to play a new game, so I made a fresh installation, but TotDG and Innershade didn't want to install. When I made a savegame it worked. I tested that something like 5 times and the lacking savegame was the problem - there was no save to update.

Can you try to reproduce it (just move any existing saves you have to another folder whilst testing) - like I said I couldn't reproduce it. If you get an ERROR, please post the *exact* full message regarding it from the DEBUG file, thanks.

#14 Shaitan

Shaitan
  • 800 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 10:39 AM

This story reminds me of the troubles I had with FFT. Which was solved somehow and didn't relate to antivirus programs/firewalls etc.

#15 Lava Del'Vortel

Lava Del'Vortel

Fiction Enforcer

• Modder
  • 2298 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 11:00 AM

Yep, here is the report and I discovered something - I may clarify the thing.

Installing [Yes]
Appending to files ...
[./override/MASTAREA.2DA] loaded, 2363 bytes
Appending [ARISH1 value...] to [MASTAREA.2da] because it does NOT contain [ARISH1]
override/MASTAREA.2da copied to Innershade\backup/3/MASTAREA.2da, 2363 bytes
Appended text to [MASTAREA.2da]
Copying and patching 1 file ...
[./override/worldmap.wmp] loaded, 41840 bytes
override/worldmap.wmp copied to Innershade\backup/3/worldmap.wmp, 41840 bytes
Copied [worldmap.wmp] to [override/worldmap.wmp]

Adding wmp area "Innershade"
Stopping installation because of error.

ERROR Installing [Yes], rolling back to previous state
[Innershade\backup/3/UNSETSTR.3] SET_STRING uninstall info not found
Will uninstall 2 files for [INNERSHADE/SETUP-INNERSHADE.TP2] component 3.
Restoring backed-up [Innershade\backup/3/MASTAREA.2da]
Innershade\backup/3/MASTAREA.2da copied to override/MASTAREA.2da, 2363 bytes
Restoring backed-up [Innershade\backup/3/worldmap.wmp]
Innershade\backup/3/worldmap.wmp copied to override/worldmap.wmp, 41840 bytes
Uninstalled 2 files for [INNERSHADE/SETUP-INNERSHADE.TP2] component 3.
INNERSHADE/SETUP-INNERSHADE.TP2 0 0 Installed ~Colours of Infinity: Innershade~
INNERSHADE/SETUP-INNERSHADE.TP2 0 1 Installed ~New animations. May not be compatibile with other mods that alter animations with the older method. (Overrides wigh1 and wigh2 slots)~
INNERSHADE/SETUP-INNERSHADE.TP2 0 2 Installed ~Talks for original Bioware NPCs~
ERROR: Unix.Unix_error(20, "opendir", "")
PLEASE email the file SETUP-INNERSHADE.DEBUG to Lava Del'Vortel
Using Language [English]
[English] has 1 top-level TRA files
[Innershade/TRANSLATIONS/English/Setup.TRA] has 113 translation strings

You see, the problem is that when you install the game (at least in my situation) the Save directory is missing, it is created when you run your game for the first time. The saves aren't the problem, but missing directory.

#16 GeN1e

GeN1e

A very GAR character

• Modder
  • 1604 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 12:26 PM

I confirm it. GET_DIRECTORY_ARRAY fails if the path is invalid.

Retired from modding.

#17 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 08:01 PM

Well, this should be fixed in the next WeiDU as mentioned here. Which also means you can (as of the last release) use the macro included with WeiDU instead of INCLUDEing it in your own code, which should help with forward-compatibility a bit. Or you can also keep including it but make the changes yourself (which in this case should be the single insertion of a 'MKDIR save' line somewhere early on).

#18 JohnMoonlord

JohnMoonlord
  • 165 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 06:44 AM

This occured during installation of the TotDG version 7 with the BWP version 9.10 beta setup.

I'm using Windows 7 64.

I also posted this issue in the megamod help forum.

Thanks

Attached Files

"Alright, but apart from the sanitation, the medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, the fresh water system and public health, what has the humans ever done for us!?"

#19 Lava Del'Vortel

Lava Del'Vortel

Fiction Enforcer

• Modder
  • 2298 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 11:29 PM

Did you check the old thread about the component?

You see, the problem is that when you install the game (at least in my situation) the Save directory is missing, it is created when you run your game for the first time. The saves aren't the problem, but missing directory.

If there is still some kind of problem, then you can try adding any save, even from the old install, however I think even making the directory is fine.

#20 JohnMoonlord

JohnMoonlord
  • 165 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 04:22 AM

Did you check the old thread about the component?

If there is still some kind of problem, then you can try adding any save, even from the old install, however I think even making the directory is fine.

Well, I just did a complete reinstall, but I remember that my saved games from BG2 had been ported in a folder outside of the main BG2 folder, called "Old Files" for BWP. I wasn't aware then that this meant that my saved games were actually missing from the main directory and not just copied outside.

With this install, my saved games are still where they should be. I guess I bumped into a glitch last time.

My current install went perfectly... except that I just realized that 55 out of 75 of the Darkest Day kits have not been installed. I remember that for the TDD Kitpack, there was a note in the setup saying that another mod was favored over this one (RTT Kitpack probably), so I didn't select it, forgetting that this was the big kahuna of kits and that only 20 of them had duplicates elsewhere.

Hmmm... To reinstalleth, or not to reinstalleth?
"Alright, but apart from the sanitation, the medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, the fresh water system and public health, what has the humans ever done for us!?"