Photo

NearInfinity

• Please log in to reply
1088 replies to this topic

#1081 ChitownWillie

ChitownWillie
  • 48 posts

Posted 16 April 2022 - 02:55 PM

Pardon my ignorance - I can easily see how to export a creature to file, but how I do I import?

For example:

1. I make changes to 10 creatures

2. Export their settings to CRE files.

3. Start a brand new game.

How do I import the changes?

Thanks!

Edited by ChitownWillie, 16 April 2022 - 03:12 PM.

#1082 Argent77

Argent77
  • Staff
  • 1196 posts

Posted 17 April 2022 - 12:27 AM

If you make changes to CRE resources in NI then you have to use the "Save" button to permanently save the changes. It can be found at the bottom of the "Edit" tab in the resource view. The saved resource is placed in the override folder of the game, so the changes will be automatically detected by the game.

The "Export" button is meant to export the original resource data to a file. Changes made to the resource without saving first will be ignored by the export operation. There's also a paragraph in the Near Infinity Wiki which explains the differences between saving and exporting.

Edited by Argent77, 17 April 2022 - 12:28 AM.

#1083 msilvand

msilvand
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 July 2022 - 01:33 PM

Hi! I have tried to find an answer to this question on multiple occasions, but maybe my Google-fu is too weak.

I have figured out how to dig out creature animations, how to generate palettes and apply them, how to center BAM frames and export as animated GIF.

Nothing else is needed for commoners and such, but what I have not figured out is how to combine player character animations with equipment overlays, kind of like in the Creature Animation Browser, for exporting as animated GIF.

Is it possible to do so?

Thank you so much for your continued efforts, I truly appreciate these wonderful community tools!

#1084 Argent77

Argent77
  • Staff
  • 1196 posts

Posted 02 July 2022 - 01:07 AM

Nothing else is needed for commoners and such, but what I have not figured out is how to combine player character animations with equipment overlays, kind of like in the Creature Animation Browser, for exporting as animated GIF.

Is it possible to do so?

The latest NI release allows you to export creature animations directly in the Creature Animation Browser as animated graphics. They are exported as animated PNG (APNG) since animations may have more than 256 colors, or may contain special effects. This graphics format is less popular than animated GIF but should still be supported by most browsers and graphics viewers.

You could also export all animation overlays manually. However, the character animation schemes are rather complicated. A good starting point to know more about the format is this page: https://gibberlings3...vatarnaming.htm

#1085 msilvand

msilvand
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 July 2022 - 05:00 AM

Is it possible to do so?

The latest NI release allows you to export creature animations directly in the Creature Animation Browser as animated graphics. They are exported as animated PNG (APNG) since animations may have more than 256 colors, or may contain special effects. This graphics format is less popular than animated GIF but should still be supported by most browsers and graphics viewers.

You could also export all animation overlays manually. However, the character animation schemes are rather complicated. A good starting point to know more about the format is this page: https://gibberlings3...vatarnaming.htm

And here, friends, we have the importance of turning on auto-updates... the mind boggles at the amount of hours saved if I had done so. ;) This is fantastic news - thank you!

#1086 Salk

Salk
  • 1346 posts

Donator

Posted 23 July 2022 - 09:45 PM

Argent77,

why would NI report a state to be orphaned (48, in this case) when it isn't?

OrphanedState.jpg

Edited by Salk, 23 July 2022 - 09:46 PM.

#1087 Argent77

Argent77
  • Staff
  • 1196 posts

Posted 24 July 2022 - 12:51 AM

Argent77,

why would NI report a state to be orphaned (48, in this case) when it isn't?

I can't reproduce it with this dialog file.

Are you running the latest NI version? Has this dialog file been modified somehow?

Edited by Argent77, 24 July 2022 - 12:54 AM.

#1088 Salk

Salk
  • 1346 posts

Donator

Posted 24 July 2022 - 09:18 PM

I am running version 2.2-20220408-1.

To replicate (for me) the issue it is enough to start NI select SOLAR.DLG from the DLG tree. The tree does not display any orphaned lines initially. But if I choose Edit from the Menu and then Right Click on State 48 to choose "Show in Tree" (great function this one, by the way) State 48 will be displayed under "Orphaned states".

I believe that during my use of NI I did meet this kind of problem with other .dlg files as well but just in case, here's what WeiDU says about changes to SOLAR.DLG:

Mod affecting SOLAR.DLG:

00000: /* Created or unbiffed */ ~WHEELS/SETUP-WHEELS.TP2~ 0 0 // The Wheels of Prophecyv8.4

#1089 Argent77

Argent77
  • Staff
  • 1196 posts

Posted 25 July 2022 - 12:08 AM

I am running version 2.2-20220408-1.

To replicate (for me) the issue it is enough to start NI select SOLAR.DLG from the DLG tree. The tree does not display any orphaned lines initially. But if I choose Edit from the Menu and then Right Click on State 48 to choose "Show in Tree" (great function this one, by the way) State 48 will be displayed under "Orphaned states".

Thanks. I can reproduce it even in the unmodded version with these instructions. I'll look into it.