Photo

Qwinn is retire?

• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

#81 i30817

i30817
  • 611 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 04:49 PM

Wasn't there a problem with quickload scient?

#82 scient

scient
  • Modder
  • 1010 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 05:34 PM

Wasn't there a problem with quickload scient?

Correct, but it will take a lot of analysis to get it fully working. It looks like certain game states aren't getting loaded properly or something. I will def work on it as part of next release of tweak pack but for now I'd recommend not using it. :/

Edited by scient, 12 July 2011 - 08:49 PM.

Those interested in the classic TBS game Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri / Alien Crossover should check out the unofficial patch I work on here.

#83 i30817

i30817
  • 611 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 09:09 PM

And i think i remember something about copying the item highlight code from BG 2?

Also another bug i've been noticing is that some npcs are unclickable until you reload the game for some reason.

Anyway, your fix seems to work fine.

Edited by i30817, 12 July 2011 - 09:15 PM.

#84 scient

scient
  • Modder
  • 1010 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 10:07 PM

And i think i remember something about copying the item highlight code from BG 2?

Also another bug i've been noticing is that some npcs are unclickable until you reload the game for some reason.

Anyway, your fix seems to work fine.

Yes, item highlight is something in my notes to look into. It would require analyzing and porting that portion of code from BG2 version of IE. This post is my comprehensive list of all known issues as well as things I've thought about adding. I should probably add fixing quick load.

As for unclickable NPC, I actually noticed this when I was trying to reproduce crash someone sent me (couldn't get it to crash tho). Cinder in Lower Ward market wouldn't allow me to click on him until I reloaded game. The problem is this bug is hard to accurately reproduce making it difficult to track down. However, I will add it to my list of know issues.

After going thorough all posts on here since I last logged in, I bookmarked a few threads with potential new issues. However, the most prevalent seems to be random crashes in various areas. Some seem to be related to widescreen mod, others specific to 2cd version I think might be an issue unpacking cbf files on newer OS's like win7. Of all bugs, I'd say trying to minimize amount of crashes would be highest priority.

I'm glad bug that was causing linux/wine to crash has been sorted. Once someone else confirms, will see if I can get Qwinn to package up a minor update. This would be recommended for all OS's since this bug does affect windows as well (won't cause problems with existing saves).

Edited by scient, 12 July 2011 - 10:13 PM.

Those interested in the classic TBS game Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri / Alien Crossover should check out the unofficial patch I work on here.

#85 Turambar

Turambar
  • Modder
  • 935 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 12:05 AM

Your last .tph worked for me! Thank you again for your help!!

Wasn't there a problem with quickload scient

Well, that's a very interesting issue... I did notice it, on windows... but that crash does not happen for me in wine.
I can quick-load successfully even if I'm selecting a door, container, actor,... (just tried again; nothing is logged, either)

That would be really nice! Although, I must say, it would spoil the game a bit.
BG1 and PST have some powerful objects hidden in big areas, where you had to select a really tiny spot on the map to notice there was something.
Examples:
Spoiler

I think that in BGT, where you can highlight things, those hidden objects lose part of their interest.
IMO, it could be nice, if this tweak will be implemented, to mark some items as "not tab-highlightable", in order to preserve the difficulty to find them, whereas, in the meantime, it becomes easier to find loots hidden under piles of bodies (which I think is the real utility of the highlight).

After going thorough all posts on here since I last logged in, I bookmarked a few threads with potential new issues. However, the most prevalent seems to be random crashes in various areas. Some seem to be related to widescreen mod, others specific to 2cd version I think might be an issue unpacking cbf files on newer OS's like win7. Of all bugs, I'd say trying to minimize amount of crashes would be highest priority.

It has happened to me on xp, so that shouldn't be the issue.
The unmodded area (AR5011), which is extracted from cbf to a bif in the cache folder, works (for me).
The widescreen-modded area, which the widescreen uncompresses, modifies, and biffs again (in a normal bif, this time, not a cbf), and the game reads as bif, appears to be buggy, but there have only been few reports yet. So, the problem could be the way weidu decompresses cbfs, or some original compression error which only comes out if the area is treated that way... BTW, widescreened-2cd version also appears to have a higher amount of random crashes, where it's sufficient to reload the game to solve them. But here too, there are only some scattered posts which mention it. Perhaps, when I have time, I'll try comparing the (unmodded) wed, tis,... files extracted from the 4cd biff, from the 2cd cache bif, or directly through weidu from the 2cd cbf, to see if there are differences. But I don't have much time, now.

Edited by Turambar, 13 July 2011 - 01:11 AM.

Turambar

Currently supporting: DSotSC for BGT, NTotSC - forum

Turambar's fixes and tweaks for BG2, BGT, DSotSC, NTotSC, SoBH and more!

Before posting questions (even regarding posts written by myself), please look at Jarno Mikkola's FAQs for the Megamods!
(how to correctly report CTDs)

vipersig.jpg

#86 scient

scient
  • Modder
  • 1010 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 04:06 AM

Good to hear! Will see about Qwinn making minor 4.12 release with fix.

Actually, crash with Quickload isn't as bad as problems with day/night not being loaded correctly and other things about NPC's.

Since I would have to implement a highlight system from scratch into PST IE, it is very possible to add flag which ignores being displayed. Will keep that in mind when I'm working on it.

I know there are some problems even in vanilla game with cbf uncompressing at times. However, I think something recently has triggered them to be more crashy.

#87 i30817

i30817
  • 611 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 09:55 PM

Yes, item highlight is something in my notes to look into. It would require analyzing and porting that portion of code from BG2 version of IE. This post is my comprehensive list of all known issues as well as things I've thought about adding. I should probably add fixing quick load.

Ascension64 - with his TobExtender project - might know where that code can be found, i think he wanted to port that to one of the other IE games, IWD or even torment?
I believe he did other nice things like display more memorized spells and such.

He also fixed a old BG bug that had to do with a door being closed of not (of all things) when the beregost map was entered, he could maybe help you find the bif crash.

Edited by i30817, 14 July 2011 - 10:09 PM.

#88 -maluco-

-maluco-

Posted 20 July 2011 - 09:19 AM

I got unclickable NPC too sometimes and I can not enter some minor buildings, it just freezes at the load screen.

#89 scient

scient
  • Modder
  • 1010 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 11:44 AM

I got unclickable NPC too sometimes and I can not enter some minor buildings, it just freezes at the load screen.

It always freezes? Like trying a second time doesn't work?

#90 -maluco-

-maluco-

Posted 21 July 2011 - 06:25 AM

yeh, always. i cant reenter Sharegrave's Kip for finishing the quest. first time before pharao there was no problem, but since i am back from pharao, cant enter anymore. there is another minor building with the same problem, forgot where it was.
i dont know if its caused because i removed the 4g-patch mid-game with the old savings.

#91 -maluco-

-maluco-

Posted 21 July 2011 - 06:28 AM

i remember, it was Mebbeth's house. i think i may have the same problem as here http://www.shsforums...e-among-others/
sorry for bothering.

sucks, i think i will wait until the 4g patch is done and will restart the game

#92 i30817

i30817
  • 611 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 06:52 AM

Edit: wait misread and thought it was a real bug.

You can't change resolutions mid-savegame.

Edited by i30817, 21 July 2011 - 06:59 AM.

#93 -maluco-

-maluco-

Posted 21 July 2011 - 07:54 AM

i could, but now i cant enter some minor buildings anymore. didnt knew about it. :-/
when will the 4g patch be included, or how can i manually make it work?

#94 scient

scient
  • Modder
  • 1010 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 08:03 AM

Removing 4g won't cause areas not to load. The only behavior you would see is PC's having their morale reset to 10 after resting. Also, it is done.

http://www.shsforums...post__p__518706

As for crashes, if you changed resolution that's prob why. Not much can be done about that.

edit:
To manually update fixpack package, just replace existing file found ~\PST-Fix\tph\ with the file attached in link above. Then apply it like you normally would.

Edited by scient, 21 July 2011 - 08:06 AM.

#95 -maluco-

-maluco-

Posted 21 July 2011 - 08:06 AM

yeh, i got that :)

thanks for the fix, u are awesome!

#96 Turambar

Turambar
  • Modder
  • 935 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 09:39 AM

As for crashes, if you changed resolution that's prob why. Not much can be done about that.

Actually, the newest version of Widescreen allows saved games patching (remember that you must run tolower after copying saved games as well)

Turambar

Before posting questions (even regarding posts written by myself), please look at Jarno Mikkola's FAQs for the Megamods!

vipersig.jpg

#97 -maluco-

-maluco-

Posted 21 July 2011 - 10:47 AM

Indeed, it patched the old save-games, but I have the problem with entering some minor buildings (like said in the previous post)
What you mean, i have to run tolower? Sorry :-/

#98 scient

scient
  • Modder
  • 1010 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 11:40 AM

Actually, the newest version of Widescreen allows saved games patching (remember that you must run tolower after copying saved games as well)

Oh, didn't know that. That's cool.

@maluco: If you post your weidu log + saved game right before one of areas that crashes I can have a quick look. Prob wouldn't be until this weekend tho.

#99 Turambar

Turambar
  • Modder
  • 935 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 12:17 AM

Indeed, it patched the old save-games, but I have the problem with entering some minor buildings (like said in the previous post)
What you mean, i have to run tolower? Sorry :-/

There's a topic for crashes here.

Concerning tolower, since Linux is case-sensitive, weidu can't handle upper case file names. So, every time you put any new file into the game folder (also a saved game from another computer...), before doing anything new with weidu, you should run tolower again (which lowercases all file names); otherwise, some files won't be patched.

Turambar

vipersig.jpg

#100 i30817

i30817
  • 611 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 12:42 AM

Only if you don't use wine to patch - but then you have another problem where wineconsole can't deal with the commands WEIDU is using to update the WEIDU exe to the latest one (you can deal with that by taking a example of the last WEIDU on your mod list and renaming a copy of it to each of the other mod names and stuffing that in the zip files - this is a pain obviously).

In fact, this failure to update the WEIDU.exe is likely the reason mod installs like bwp fail on wine.