• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#21 Gospel

Gospel
  • 338 posts

Posted 25 September 2002 - 10:44 AM

You're welcome, Quitchy ^_^*purrs* :)

Oh, the stairs... :)

To the right of Sir Buliwyf's cell are some stairs that you can go down? ?:)

It leads to a cellar-like area, where Sir Caswallon, Sir Delvar, and the other knight are :)

The only exit I saw were stairs that, I think, were supposed to lead back to the cell area ?:)

Instead, it took me to the mid-right of the upstairs map, where there was another set of Sir Caswallon and co. :D

Oddness ?:)
Is kitty :)

#22 Quitch

Quitch

Perfection

• Modder
  • 1132 posts

Posted 25 September 2002 - 11:18 AM

I can't see why the Vidar dialogue would have the problem reported. I'll look into it further.

#23 Rathwellin the Bard

Rathwellin the Bard

Bloody engine of destruction ... oh, wait. That was my Sorcerer

• 722 posts

Posted 26 September 2002 - 02:38 PM

Are my previous saves with the RtW 2.9 beta of any use at all? I'm wondering because I saved right before a lot of events like the Imoen chats. Is it possible for me to use these saves or would it be better to play over from the end of SoA?

I did look at one old save I had made prior to the bad Volvo dialogue & it looks like that problem is resolved.

I also took a quick look at the save prior to the first Imoen chat & I didn't notice any differences from the Imoen 2.9 dialogue. Were changes made for 3.0? We had talked about changing Imoen from having snuck out of an Inn for help to asking the elves of Suldanessellar instead & some other changes....

#24 Cuv

Cuv

Area Maker (retired)

• Modder
  • 925 posts

Posted 26 September 2002 - 03:25 PM

To be on the safe side you should empty your cache and start again from the messenger with a save prior to any previous version of RTW.

Cuv

#25 Rathwellin the Bard

Rathwellin the Bard

Bloody engine of destruction ... oh, wait. That was my Sorcerer

• 722 posts

Posted 26 September 2002 - 03:37 PM

During my reinstall of BG the cache was deleted.

And if I start at the messenger I will miss all the Imoen chats as in my last set of saves those started at the beginning of ToB.

So back to SoA final battle it is....

#26 Delvar

Delvar
  • 101 posts

Posted 26 September 2002 - 05:00 PM

Ok I think I'll download them all this weekend and start playing with my pally game, he is kind of uber so I may start a new one. The party should be my pally, korg,sar,Imoen (may do Jan) Viccy, and either new npc (still not going to use a name cause i'm like that, and maybe edwin and keldorn will get in there.

#27 Delvar

Delvar
  • 101 posts

Posted 27 September 2002 - 04:23 PM

Ok first odd thing I ran into was instead of what the peeps should be saying bard stronghold stuff was above there head instead, kind of ruined what that mage was saying to dasy. Next odd thing was the map locations came up as some odd conversation, might of been from the bard stronghold not sure. That was all for the wierd junk. When I went to kill dasy it wouldn't fight back or talk, not sure if you were supposed to have this as you went on and on about how he would have tons of words to say. Like you guys said cult battle froze up so i just did ctrl-y and laughed as they all died. No immy chats so far, which made me sad, but this was like an hour run and I didn't do much. No rest so far, and kind of messed up how I can get another balduaran sword, might wanna change what cursed ring looks like people might know it from bg1, like i did. Not much to report on monsters didn't do much fighting, just trying to get some main plot events.
Was kind of mad Garren didn't have anything to say but hey who cares, was kind of mad new npc wasn't there, was mad the AI in king s's lair wasn't working, making it so only 2 guards attacked me, was kind of mad when I say all those looting things in dasy lair and I couldn't reach them (did you put those in to make me mad or something) other then that its going good, the weights seemed to be kicking much more ass, that or it was some kind of trap thing that nearly blew my pally up. My party is only around lvs 22-26 so its more fun, and I was on max diff, which scared me so I shoved it back down. This weekend I'll run a test through everything else and report back then.

#28 Quitch

Quitch

Perfection

• Modder
  • 1132 posts

Posted 28 September 2002 - 03:24 AM

For the first time I've I swung through the entire dungeon (or at least as much as I could get to). I was playing with Beta 3.0.4. Currently this differs from 3.0.3 only in that the party of knights no longer display a headstring when moving into the next area.

MyDifficulty was 0 as I had Jarata beam me in via the good path.

Testers, you haven't missed anything. The 3.0.X betas are internal only.

I'll cover things in the order in which I encountered them. There's quite a lot here. I won't bother talking about things I need to fix, I have them noted now and will get on it.

Firstly, the troll cooks room. His table had a Stone to Flesh scroll, Vidar's Key and a Project Image scroll. None of this should be there, it is cheesy and we're beyond Alpha dungeon walks.

There is a cupboard in the main area, it's down in the barracks type area with those sacks on the floor for bedding. This cupboard help Hold Undead, Protection from Lightening, over 2000 gold, purple bullets (+2 or +3?) and some darts I didn't bother identifying. Why is the gold there? The scrolls are just chimp material and should be dropped. Why would new ammo have appeared?

There was a skeletal corpse in the maze section (still area 1) which had a helmet, armour, magic shield, magic warhammer and a healing potion. First, the corpse was a skeleton so the helmet and armour would be gone. Secondly, the fact that it is a skeleton means it's not new, thus the magic stuff wouldn't be there either. Players don't need MORE healing potions, drop them.

Jailer casts Chain Lightening on himself, but IIRC he doesn't have proper AI yet.

Sir Donalus should be standing by the door of his cell, not at the back. I had a hell of a time moving my arty so they could see into the cells at all.

At the end of the maze where the player used to pickup the mask, you have added two doors, one to the NW and one to the NE. The NE one leads to a very swanky looking area... why? This area serves no purpose and holds only three monsters. I couldn't see why it was here. A standard tomb would suit better.

The Tomb Guards standing over King Strohm's door need to block the door from the player, and they also need to stand still (or as close as is possible). I don't recall that mad sword waving being part of their hold animation... or am I mistaken?

Why is so much random treasure lying around, yet the tombs are almost bare? If you must have this tripe, put it in the tombs where it would make sense for it to be. If the guardians live, then the treasure remains.

The corridor to King Strohm leads to a small cells area (from the Pirate Lord isle). Why? This is supposed to be a series of tombs, yes?

Why was a Gauth inside a cell? I suppose someone may have shut it in (quite sensible), but couldn't it knock down the door?

A tiny door on the KS corridor leads to a huge arch and silo area. Why? Why is a storage silo in a complex of tombs? Why does a tiny door become a huge arch? Why does the hay supply contain a potion and gem?

Another door on the corridor leads to the large prison complex from Saradush. Why? This is a tomb.

Cutscene with the party of knights once you follow them to their room doesn't work properly. One knight says "This way" and the next says "Over here, CHARNAME!" but by this point the vamps are attacking (and the knights remain neutral). Surely the idea is the player moves to the knight before the ambush is sprung?

The monster placement seems almost random, without any reason to it. At one point I ran into a Wight, Vampire, Large Bat and Spectral Gauth. Firstly, this wastes any surprise the vampire has in being blue by pausing the game for 50%+ of players. A *lot* more thought needs to go into creature placement. Vampires should operate with bats. Wights should operate in packs. Shimmering Wights should be around tombs, yes? Mummies should be in catacombs. Beholders should be around Infernal Guard areas without operating with them in most cases.

Nor did the numbers make any sense. Why was the coffin area almost empty, but the main passageways flooded with vamps? Surely the player should hit perhaps one prepared ambush, then it should be mainly puny things that simply wander the corridors like zombies and Wights, with the occasional couple of vamps. Vampires should increase in number as you approach their coffins and decrease as you head towards the cult.

Infernal Guards should be concentrated around their king, their numbers thinning as you head away. Yet right now he is guarded by vamps. This is nonsense. Why are all the Infernal Guard standing in a corridor on the way to Dasypus, one that has nothing to do with Karlash or King Strohm?

Beholders seem to be thrown around to make up the numbers. They should be near Infernal Guard, they were attacking them after all. Perhaps one or two scattered in the main areas simply to represent wandering, but there should be a few more near Infernal Guards, with the main concentration begin around the Hive Mother.

Right now the monster placement is random and IMO in no way fits the story we are trying to tell.

There is a bunch of magic items in a chest by the vampire coffins? Why?

There are two rogue stones in an open vampire coffin. Why?

Monsters almost always face down. This is silly and looks like they're random battles. Make them face the door, or each other. Have the odd monster doing something other than standing around. Make it look like there is some actual life down here, rather than monsters standing around waiting on the player. Have a couple of Wights fighting each other over a skeleton.

The party no longer appears in the centre of the cult mages.

Monsters are too cramped. It's like they're staying together for warmth. A good example of how placement SHOULD be done is when the player first enters the catacombs on the way to Dasypus (just after area 2). You spot one or two ghouls, but these issue a shout (use the scripting!) to their comrades, who start to lumber in from off-screen. It looks great. Going from a case of a couple of monsters to creatures coming down the corridor and out of doorways.

In some cases it might be an ideas to simply have a couple of monsters down a corridor who then warn their comrades in the adjoining rooms. The scripting already does this, the placement does not.

The Lich's stand held an Amulet of Spell Warding (why wasn't it wearing it?) 4200 gold, some random ammo (why??) and two True Sight scrolls intended for chimping Dasypus which the lich should have been holding and using. Drop them.

Down the catacombs on the way to Dasypus (opposite direction to Lich encounter) there is a workbench with a wand of Cloudkill and one of Monster Summoning. Why?

The mage in the study just before Dasypus is one of the rare nice touches, showing a bit of thought... but why is a mummy in there too?

Dasypus should walk to the party in the cutscene, not outside of it.

Why is King Strohm's tomb in the main dungeon? It makes no sense and doesn't work for me at all. Everything to do with him is in the catacombs, yet he has a corridor to himself with a silo? I don't think so. He, and all his rooms, should be linked to by the catacombs. That works, his current location doesn't.

That about covers it for now... I killed Dasypus and could go no further. There were a bunch of locks that couldn't be picked, and I don't know what opens them.

Will the testers pull their collective finger out and remember that combat is not the be all and end all of testing. It is in fact a very tiny portion of a mod, and yet seems to be virtually the only thing you talk about.

Cuv, stop making areas. We have more than enough. We need to make what we have work, not add more to fix.

#29 Quitch

Quitch

Perfection

• Modder
  • 1132 posts

Posted 28 September 2002 - 08:19 AM

Oh, and the table in the small cells off the corridor leading to King Strohm also had a jewel and a scroll of Carrion Summoning on it. These shouldn't be here.

#30 Gospel

Gospel
  • 338 posts

Posted 02 October 2002 - 08:09 PM

Me's thinks I found some stuff, not much though :(

But I tries to sniff outs more, I do I do! :)

1. In the second Immy kitty conversation

* - One of the dialogue choices is "Are you alright to stand?" methinks. This happened last time, and I'm sure it's proper English, but... it sort of sounds odd :) No's problemies though :D

2. A possible bug, in Saradush?

* - While talking with missus Melissan(Right after killing that Gromnir guy), the conversation ended after she said that Yaga Shura was a powerful Fire Giant. The only way I got past it was by changing one of those global things.... something like "Melgromnirdeath" ?:) I'm pretty sure that's not the exact name, though :D

This happened my last game, too.... I didn't think it would be Return to Windspear, and it probably isn't :) Betters safe than sorry though, yes? :D

3. Sorry if this is combat feedback, but... not sure :(

* - The vampires' Domination spell doesn't seem to display the Charmed/Dominated portrait icon ?:)

4. The covnersation with the two Infernal Guards, who stand near a door(Didn't see what's past it, yet)

* - One of the dialogue(Sorry, I don't remember what I said before to get to this dialogue... branch(?). Maybe it's when I asked who they were, or what their names were) choices is "Why is there undead guards here?" :)

"Why are there undead guards here?"* :)

I used the American English version of the mod :D

Sorries that it's not much this time ;_; That could be a good thing though, rights? *purrs* :)

#31 Quitch

Quitch

Perfection

• Modder
  • 1132 posts

Posted 03 October 2002 - 02:21 AM

1. In the second Immy kitty conversation

* - One of the dialogue choices is "Are you alright to stand?" methinks. This happened last time, and I'm sure it's proper English, but... it sort of sounds odd :) No's problemies though :D

Hmmm, it should probably be "Can you stand?" I'll change it for English (American) at the least.

2. A possible bug, in Saradush?

* - While talking with missus Melissan(Right after killing that Gromnir guy), the conversation ended after she said that Yaga Shura was a powerful Fire Giant. The only way I got past it was by changing one of those global things.... something like "Melgromnirdeath" ?:) I'm pretty sure that's not the exact name, though :D

Nothing to do with us. Known cutscene issue I believe.

3. Sorry if this is combat feedback, but... not sure :(

* - The vampires' Domination spell doesn't seem to display the Charmed/Dominated portrait icon ?:)

I'll look into this.

4. The covnersation with the two Infernal Guards, who stand near a door(Didn't see what's past it, yet)

* - One of the dialogue(Sorry, I don't remember what I said before to get to this dialogue... branch(?). Maybe it's when I asked who they were, or what their names were) choices is "Why is there undead guards here?" :)

"Why are there undead guards here?"* :)

Already identified (and possible fixed, I don't recall), but cheers.

#32 Gospel

Gospel
  • 338 posts

Posted 03 October 2002 - 10:11 AM

*purrs* ^_^

#33 Gospel

Gospel
  • 338 posts

Posted 03 October 2002 - 12:59 PM

*purrs* Umm... after whacking the Gas Spore guys, in the Unseeing Eye Beholder hive-type area, they sort of exploded and cast Cloud Kill :D

I did hear some grunting, but me's thought it might've been offscreen Beholders or something :)

Me's cast Zone of Sweet Air, rowr! :D *sniffs* ^_^

Anyhows, me tried to save, but it said there were monsters about :D I grouped my party together in a tighter bunch, just in case something offscreen was too close for me to save ^_^

Still happened, though ;_;

So me'sa cast True Sight, and the Gas Spores were still there? ?:)

They were Badly Injured and stuff :D I had everyone pile on one of them, and it was taking mucho damage! :D Stayed Badly Injured no matter what, though ;_;

Me tried ctrl-y, just to make sure :D

Five times, no die :D

If it makes any difference, I was dual wielding Foebane +5 and the Scarlet Brotherhood ninja-to(Use Any Item). Only mod was Baldurdash(Classic) and No Globe Cloak of Mirroring :D

#34 Cuv

Cuv

Area Maker (retired)

• Modder
  • 925 posts

Posted 03 October 2002 - 02:37 PM

Thanks Gospel:)

I will look into the spores and see what is happening with them. I think its because they have a MINHP1.itm and run a script to destroy it and explode. That is the same thing that happens to trolls and Melissan in the final battle. I'll try a different kind of script for them

Cuv

#35 Gospel

Gospel
  • 338 posts

Posted 03 October 2002 - 03:26 PM

You'we welcome, sir ^_^

Thankies :)

#36 Gospel

Gospel
  • 338 posts

Posted 03 October 2002 - 07:10 PM

I'm really sorry I didn't get a screenshot of this ;_;

But... umm, in the beholder hive-type area, I saw a Doomsphere say "Certainly." :(

It was floating text, though... faded out before me'sa screenieshot :(

Also, some of the areas on the map (With the buttons) have odd names ?:)

Edit: Maybe Xyx sir was under the Doomsphere, now that's me seen him, too :D

I don't think so, though..... :)

#37 Gospel

Gospel
  • 338 posts

Posted 03 October 2002 - 08:27 PM

Meows, me's finds more, methinks ^_^

1. The conversation with the crazy(At first) paladin, who thinks you want to kill him :)

During his story, it says (After he tells how the priests tried to beat up the evil guyos, by praying or something[Turning Undead, me's thinks?]):

At his juncture he pauses for a moment, looking lost. With great effort, he turns to meet your gaze, sadness obvious in every movement. "Yet Torm rejected their calls, for the we stood on unhallowed ground, which blinded him to our cause.

* - There's more, but that's all that's needed, yes? :P (Me has to copy them from the screenishot) ;_;

Anyhow.... :D

Should it be "At this juncture,", instead of "At his juncture" ?:) Me not sure... :D

Also, " for the we" = "for we" ?:)

*purrs* Return to Windspear is cute, hehe :) I wanted to pet the King Sthrommy fight, and scratch it's ears ^_^

#38 Gospel

Gospel
  • 338 posts

Posted 04 October 2002 - 10:57 AM

Hehe, in the first meeting with Dasypus dragony, Enghrath(?) guy calls him a "big galoot" ?:) Is this supposed to happen? :D

Also, after talking to Dasypus guy, and telling him the door is warded... he'll say he can teleport you out :) If you choose to stay(And the conversation ends), then talk to him again.... he'll repeat his opening speech ?:)

*purrs* :)

#39 Delvar

Delvar
  • 101 posts

Posted 04 October 2002 - 08:23 PM

Well I posted the map and the words above the head thing before. Dasy never talked to me, so I don't know anything about that.

#40 Cuv

Cuv

Area Maker (retired)

• Modder
  • 925 posts

Posted 05 October 2002 - 04:32 AM

Those brief head strings you see are for testing... they arent meant to stay.....hehe. They help us to keep track of what the creatures are doing and making sure their scripts are running:P No need to take screenshots of headstrings. Just let us know if you still see those weird ones when we call it a finished beta:D

Cuv