Photo

Spoilers: Tester area for BETAv3.0

• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#41 Delvar

Delvar
  • 101 posts

Posted 05 October 2002 - 04:03 PM

Ok I actually got some more time in, the only bug I've found is that dasy is giving me the cold shoulder so when i warm it up with all my fireballs and such he gets mad and tries to eat me, and then I easily beat him into the ground. He wont talk at all in my games, not even to cast spells. Not sure if this next thing is a bug or not, but when I tried to give my sword to the mage he won't take it and all I do is keep on saying i won't throw it to him, and he says I won't go and take it from you over and over, is there an option to give it away yet? Another odd thing is that the large bats (not the vamps) are casting true sight which I found kind of odd. Also the guards at the tomb ent won't help one another when I attack them which either means bad AI or they weren't good friends. Who/what are some of the new things or people in this mod, I haven't been finding much, and i just wanted to make sure i didn't mess up installing.

#42 Michel

Michel

Damn. I'm good!

• 1003 posts

Posted 06 October 2002 - 07:49 PM

I wont be checking for grammar because hehe, my english isnt *that* good ;)

-----The containers
It seems that i donnt have to use "Detect traps".
All traps (only the ones on containers) are noticable immidiatly.
I just press "Disarm trap" and move my mouse over the container and voilla, not detect traps needed.

EVIL CHARACTER:

----From the beginning after the conversation with Jarata from within the dungeon.

RTWPLAYERREP - 1
RTWMYDIFFICULTY - 4
RTWJARATAINTEREST - 2
RTWJARATA - 2
RTWJARATAEXPLAINS - 1
RTWGoodActs - 1
RTWEvilActs - -1 (negative)
RTWMESSENGER - 1

----Other:
In the "Troll Cook" room. I fought a few vamps and several turned to "mist" but stayed hostile. They never took any damage (Vampire was immune to damage). I ended up CTRL-Y the mist and then it finally died.
I met Vidar and he was taken away by 2 cult mages. No weird things happened.

----DoomSphere: No trouble at all. He went down very quickly.

----Bert and George:
I ignored them.
RTWGHOULSFIGHTING - 2
RTWGHOULTALK - 1

----Vidar (2nd encounter) (x=2563, y=1690 ARRTW1)
I met Vidar again, he talked and left flying as a bat. No probs
RTWEVILPATH - 1 (just saw this one for the first time. Maybe i missed this one from the RTW start. Not sure though)
RTWGoodActs - 1
RTWVIDARLEFT - 1

----Samia's room (x=3071, y=1815 ARRTW1)
Met a few vamps, no probs here.
Met a Spectral Gauth, he didnt do anything, not a single ray and didnt fought at all.

(small sidenote)
In the middle of the fight, Kelsey asked me...erm, my PC to marry him :D)

----Knights Of The Order (x=2624, y=1036 ARRTW1)
Talked to them with a party member, not with the protagonist. Explained to them that the way out is blocked, they wanted me to follow them, i told them to follow me instead. :P
RTWKNIGHTSINPARTY - 1
RTWVAMPIREPOOL - 5 (was 4)
RTWGoodActs - 1

---In the corridor just past the Knights Of The Order (x=3110, y=1069 ARRTW1)
Doomsphere attacked the vampires bats and the Spectral Gauths. Hardly attacked my party.

---Scared Knight.
I acted friendly and choose the lasst option "Leave the man"
No changes in the variables.
Not even a "Heal" spell helped him get his act together again...*sigh* He's a lost cause.
I fought a few vamps and several turned to "mist" but stayed hostile again.

-------------New Area Entered (ARRTW7)-------------
Fought an Infernal Guard and 2/3 Banshees. Hah, dead goo in seconds. Found a Rod Of Ressurection. Cool.

------------Back to the main dungeon area. (ARRTW1)---------
Entered the other door(to the left)
-------------New Area Entered (ARRTW5)-------------
Entered the 1st door on the left
-------------New Area Entered (ARRTW12)-------------
Prison area
Kasharin, didnt attacked me at all.
Holy shit, that "Lightning" trap killed 5 people in my party in a few seconds. (x=971, y=380 ARRTW12)
Too much damage in a to short period. You dont even have *any* time to disarm that trap.

-------------New Area Entered (ARRTW16)-------------
Spectator Beholder lair
Hehe, nice message from Xyx :D
Again, the Kasharin didnt attack me at first. After "the others enemies" died, then they attacked me.
Also, invisible Gas Spores. I didnt saw them but i summoned a Planetar for healing and he attacked the invisible Gas Spore.
They never die! I did almost 1000 damage to each one. They wont die atall. CTRL-Y doesnt kill them either.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaahh!!! The (would be dead)Gas Spores follow me everywhere i go!!!

Doomspere and Gas spore's fought eachother at an old battle location.
The Doomsphere's attack eachother again. They dont attack me.
I met Xyx and his "cloak". And he called me a nasty adventurer, he fell quickly to my might. Muahahah :P
Picked up the key and went back to ARRTW5
Entered 2nd door
--------------Entered ARRTW10----------
Slept like a baby
back to ARRTW5
Went through the 3rd door and entered....
--------Entered ARRTW9----------

Fought 2 greater mummies and a Infernal Guard.
BAck to ARRTW5
Entered 4th door
----------Entered ARRTW11----------
Prison
Fought a Spectral Gauth, no probs. Why is he still behind a closed door? I would assume that they are stronger then the door. IMO he shouldnt behind the door.
Back to ARRTW5
Stood next to the 2 infernal Guards, they dont turn hostile.
Hehe, talking to them is just like talking to a brick wall. :D
Hmm, When i try option " Fine Dont talk. I'll just go through therse doors then", 1st they block passage and the next dialogue from the IG "67".
I choose "Attack" and only the one i was talking to turned hostile.
I talked to the second guard and choose "attack". Killed them both with ease.
First i rested in ARRTW9. No attacks were made.

Onwards to Strohm. Yay!
EEEEKK, I lost total control over the battle. I choose "Hold on to the images" and i went into a sort of "cutscene" and right now i'm looking at my party but i cannot control them. i cant do anything.
Reboot is the only option now.
*sigh*

Some variables in the autosave from BEFORE i entered Strohms room.
RTWTOMBGUARDDESCRIPTION - 1
RTWVAMPIREPOOL - 3 (was 4)
RTWVAMPIREAMBUSH - 0

Reloaded the autosave
Strohm attacked my PC*sigh* Imprissonment...reloading..
New tactic:
Gathered all my party members and went straight to Strohm, picked option 2. Fight begins.
Argh, i hate those traps..
Whoa....What a fight. I used Spellstrike and breach and pierce magic, killed Strohm before he got his timestop spell finished. *phew*
Finished the rest of the Guards and Bashees with ease.
Went up the stairs in the Tomb to the library (ARRTWE)
Nice but hard fight.
Rested in a *safe house area*
Last variables from the autosave:
No changes in the variables. Nothing about Strohm.

This was my small contribution for today. I hope this is what you guys need. Please tell me if you need more

I'll continue this evening again. Then i'll move towards Dasy and the rest.

#43 Cuv

Cuv

Area Maker (retired)

• Modder
  • 925 posts

Posted 06 October 2002 - 11:33 PM

-----The containers
It seems that i donnt have to use "Detect traps".
All traps (only the ones on containers) are noticable immidiatly.
I just press "Disarm trap" and move my mouse over the container and voilla, not detect traps needed.

I will have to look into this. Are the trapped containers in the normal game the same?

----Other:
In the "Troll Cook" room. I fought a few vamps and several turned to "mist" but stayed hostile. They never took any damage (Vampire was immune to damage). I ended up CTRL-Y the mist and then it finally died.
I met Vidar and he was taken away by 2 cult mages. No weird things happened.

It might be better to forego the mist portion of the vampire change... and have them simply change from bat to vamp and vamp to bat. I am also getting tired of the mists not only being hostile, but immune to all damage... its just plain annoying.

That wasnt Vidar you saw in the cutscene... that was just a male vampire being hauled away by the mages as food for the dragon. Perhaps I should make that a female vamp to avoid confusion.

---In the corridor just past the Knights Of The Order (x=3110, y=1069 ARRTW1)
Doomsphere attacked the vampires bats and the Spectral Gauths. Hardly attacked my party.

Known issue. The monster AI is currently going through an overhaul. Beholders will eventually only be fighting Infernal Guard, and vice-versa, where they are found together.

Prison area
Kasharin, didnt attacked me at all.
Holy shit, that "Lightning" trap killed 5 people in my party in a few seconds. (x=971, y=380 ARRTW12)
Too much damage in a to short period. You dont even have *any* time to disarm that trap.

I'm currently working on some modifications to the dungeon graphics. That areas borrowed from Saradush and Brynnlaw will be dropped.

Onwards to Strohm. Yay!
EEEEKK, I lost total control over the battle. I choose "Hold on to the images" and i went into a sort of "cutscene" and right now i'm looking at my party but i cannot control them. i cant do anything.
Reboot is the only option now.
*sigh*

That's not good news. I will have to look at that cutscene carefully, it worked fine for me.

Whoa....What a fight. I used Spellstrike and breach and pierce magic, killed Strohm before he got his timestop spell finished. *phew*

Good to hear that the fight was fun, although I am a little disappointed that you figured out a strategy for beating him so quickly:p Xyx will have to work on that fight a bit more. He should better protect himself before taking the time to cast Time Stop:D

Not sure if this next thing is a bug or not, but when I tried to give my sword to the mage he won't take it and all I do is keep on saying i won't throw it to him, and he says I won't go and take it from you over and over, is there an option to give it away yet?

That is a known issue. I believe Quitch is working on fixing that.

Another odd thing is that the large bats (not the vamps) are casting true sight which I found kind of odd.

I agree... it is odd, and pointless. The can simply be given the ability to see invisible without having to cast a spell.

Thanks for the input. This is the kind of stuff we need to hear.

Cuv

#44 Quitch

Quitch

Perfection

• Modder
  • 1132 posts

Posted 07 October 2002 - 04:13 AM

Large Bats cast True Sight? I've never noticed that, but they *can* see invisible.

As for the hostile gas, we'll fix it. Dropping it would be just plain dumb. For one, they wouldn't be vampires, and secondly, what next? We drop the Dasypus dialogue because someone hits a bug?

Anyway, what I want are thoughts on the dialogue.

#45 Michel

Michel

Damn. I'm good!

• 1003 posts

Posted 07 October 2002 - 06:46 AM

I will have to look into this.   Are the trapped containers in the normal game the same?

No, only in RTW. I just press Tab to highlight the containter, place my mouse over it, I press "disarm trap or lockpick and the cursor changes to a "disarm trap" symbol. I dont even start the "detect traps".

That's not good news.   I will have to look at that cutscene carefully,  it worked fine for me.

I'll replay it tonight again and lets see if it happens again.

Good to hear that the fight was fun,  although I am a little disappointed that you figured out a strategy for beating him so quickly:p   Xyx will have to work on that fight a bit more.    He should better protect himself before taking the time to cast Time Stop:D

The only thing i found really nasty is the imprissonment and the skull traps he casts. But hey! We do the same in the regular game :D

@Quitch.

Large Bats cast True Sight?  I've never noticed that, but they *can* see invisible.

I havent seen it either.

Anyway, what I want are thoughts on the dialogue.

I am probably the least person to comment on the grammar but from what i'v seen so far is that i like the dialogues.

I know i havent seen the most yet, but i like it.
The only thing i have to do sometimes is to read the dialogue 2 or 3 times before i really understand it. Blame my english teacher for that ;)

Personally i think that the Knights of The Order shouldnt be convinced so easely to follow you and or trust you. What i think is that they should *see* you fight against a few vamps or other enemies before they decide to trust you.
I wouldnt trust anyone in a dungeon like this, vamps could have easely dominated them or *control* them by any means. I hope this makes some sense.

#46 Xyx

Xyx
  • 73 posts

Posted 07 October 2002 - 07:58 AM

Good to hear that the fight was fun, although I am a little disappointed that you figured out a strategy for beating him so quickly:p Xyx will have to work on that fight a bit more. He should better protect himself before taking the time to cast Time Stop:D

Huh? So you can cut him to ribbons even before he starts his Time Stop? He doesn't cheat, so he can only cast one spell every six seconds, you know?

Give him all 10s for his hit point rolls then. That seems generally accepted practice for BG2 (or actually... most bosses have far too many hit points).

I could swap his Spell Immunity - Abjuration for a Spell Shield, but that'd make him a sitting duck for Inquisitor Dispel Magic. Unless... Does anyone know if Inquisitor Dispel Magic is capped at level 20?

#47 Michel

Michel

Damn. I'm good!

• 1003 posts

Posted 07 October 2002 - 08:21 AM

I had 2 mages. Kelsey, my Assasin/Mage.
the rest pounded on him. I took the damage from the traps for granted. I ignored everyone else.

I will have to put RTW on a small delay again. I went home from work early today. I'm sick as hell at the moment.
Sorry guys. :(

#48 Dyara

Dyara
  • 262 posts

Posted 07 October 2002 - 08:38 AM

Unless... Does anyone know if Inquisitor Dispel Magic is capped at level 20?

Yes, Inquisitor Dispel Magic (SPCL231) is capped at level 20.

#49 Xyx

Xyx
  • 73 posts

Posted 08 October 2002 - 07:34 AM

Inquisitor Dispel Magic (SPCL231) is capped at level 20.

Right! Does that mean it dispels as level 20 when you get to level 10 or as level 40 when you get to level 20? If it's the first, then we're in business.

I also realised that Strohm can be made immune to Nature's Beauty since he's undead and it's a mind-affecting spell. That means I could put the Spell Shield in his Contingency (which now holds Immunity to Illusions). :)

#50 Dyara

Dyara
  • 262 posts

Posted 08 October 2002 - 08:50 AM

Who is the master of spells and monster AI ;)?

The spell has a definition for level 20 casters, so I think itīs the second.

#51 Michel

Michel

Damn. I'm good!

• 1003 posts

Posted 08 October 2002 - 09:13 AM

Hmmm, Strohm is undead right? Then why does is he shown as a human fighter and not a Lich or something different? If he was mummified then he would *look* like a mummie. He's dead, he should look like an undead IMO.

#52 Michel

Michel

Damn. I'm good!

• 1003 posts

Posted 08 October 2002 - 11:19 AM

=========================================================
Pocket plane ability is still availble.

----
Large Bat casts: Casts True Sight BEFORE turning into a Vamp (screenshot available)
Erm..staking a vampires coffin give 50.000 XP?! Isnt that a bit too much?
Staked 4 coffins...200000 XP, it leveled 3 characters in my game.
----
Unstakable coffin at x=919, y=1998 ARRTW1 (probably RTWCOFFIN1)
In the "Global" from SK:
RTWCOFFIN2 - 2
RTWCOFFIN3 - 2
RTWCOFFIN4 - 2
RTWCOFFIN5 - 2

----
Wight Caves
Boooring :P
Add mucho Wights and other low level undead here, carnage!!!! :D
RTWGHOULFIGHTING -2
RTWGHOULTALK - 1
I havent spoken to a ghoul, or anyone in the caves.

----
Captive Paladins

Buli has Jarata?! I dont see her?!

RTWVAMPIREPOOL - 0
RTWVAMPIREAMBSUH - 0
RTWVAMPIREPOOL - 8 (was 3!!!!!
RTWSIRDISFREE - 1
[sidenote]
I would prefer a different dialogue if you choose the "Finnally your babbeling has ended..."
dialogue. If i say the "nice" he says exactly the same.

Killed the JailKeeper
"Globals"
RTWGOODACTS - 1
RTWEVILACTS - -1(negative)

Onwards to the Cult.
Cutscene starts..whoa!!! Talk about cornered :D
I am typing and talking to the Purple One ;) You'll see my exact dialogue choosings whaaa!! :D
My talking begins:
1,3,3,4 (he wants the Carsomyr)
Korgan speaks - He wants me to just attack him :D
Minsc - Doesnt say a word? He's the goody two shoes and he doesnt say a word? Perhaps he should say something here.
"What?! We must save Garren !! We must!! Boo and I would be ........fill in the blanks ;)
Sir Anomen doesnt say a word either? Hmmpf, He's a Knight!! He shouldnt allow to let Garren die.
Continuing the conversation...
4,2 End dialogue
Imidiatly retreated to the staircase..will write more but first i need to survie whhaaa! :D
Damn!!! Kelsey wants a chat just right after the mages turne hostile!! Grrrrr!!!
Grrr Minsc has the image of an Acid Arow right behind him, still in the Kelsey chat...*sigh*
I just told Kelsey that i'm pregnant!! LOL LOL

And my game crashed right after the conversation with Kelsey ended.. DAMNIT!
Started again....crashed right after the cutscene...*sobs*
Started again.....choose option "Attack" from the first dialogue options... *SOBS*

WIll turn all the extra memory eaters down and 3d graphics down. I'll try more, but i dont know what yet. :(

Set my comp as a "Above average PC" (was maximum PC-setting)
"Disabled Casting Glows"
"No large Static Animations"
"Disable all static Animations"
Enabled "Automated Speed Adjustments"
"Force 50% tranparency" enabled
Turned off 3d Animations
Disabled 3D Acceleration

Starting again..
And the game crashes again.....*sobs heavely*
Starting again and now i'll try the "good" talk because the "evil" crashes on me :( :( :(
Duh, i threw the blade, CRASH!

Rebooted and cleared my cache folder and starting again....
I *gave* him the Carsomyr...a few "red" mages turned hostile...Vidar appeared.
After the conversation of the Purple one and Vidar the game "hangs" in cutscene mode.
Must use alt-f4 to get out of the game.
Oh, btw..one of the cult mages drops his "robe" item. It just lies there at his feet.

I'm gonna stop trying, i cant continue. The game keeps crashing on me.

#53 Cuv

Cuv

Area Maker (retired)

• Modder
  • 925 posts

Posted 08 October 2002 - 11:19 AM

Hmmm, Strohm is undead right? Then why does is he shown as a human fighter and not a Lich or something different? If he was mummified then he would *look* like a mummie. He's dead, he should look like an undead IMO.

I originally had him using the Laeral Avatar (LC_LICHBLACK), which I think looks great... but unfortunately that animation has no sword use, just spell casting animation. The other option was to use the typical Lich animation, but that one looks crappy to me and also has no weapons animation.

I *could* give him the skeleton warrior animation just like the Infernal Guard, and *perhaps* alter his color so that he would stand out and appear different from them in some way.

Cuv

#54 Gospel

Gospel
  • 338 posts

Posted 08 October 2002 - 12:05 PM

He'd need a portrait change too then, sir? ?:)
Is kitty :)

#55 Salvanas

Salvanas
  • 16 posts

Posted 09 October 2002 - 04:14 PM

Sorry about the delay. I wasn't a member, so I couldn't be PM'ed about the location of this beta. Well...I'm a member now and I'll test it out if you could still use me.

#56 Salvanas

Salvanas
  • 16 posts

Posted 13 October 2002 - 01:55 PM

Finally...I got down and dirty with RTW...and didn't get very far.

My MODs:

Original non-weiDU Baldurdash (Before installing RTW)
1 custom kit and a few custom items. None of them are overpowered or contain odd spells. The kit uses no custom spells and neither do the items. (Also installed before RTW)
Ease of Use (Installed after RTW)

My Party (No dirty stats or spells...18's piss me off):

Shin (PC) Neutral Good (Apprentice custom kit)
Phalion (MPC) Berserker/Thief
Karenina (MPC) Blade
Keldorn
Viconia
Imoen

Difficulty: Normal

While my party was in Saradush, Imoen did all of her dialogs...at least until the part where she collapses and Viconia raises her.

The Volo dialogue, in which he describes Imoen, got cut off when she was supposed to speak. (resolved after I defeated Gromnir)

The Melissan dialogue after the Gromnir battle was also cut off prematurely. It worked on the second try. (I made sure all characters were within Melissan's dialogue range)

Knowing that I would be going against the Undead, I decided to do Watcher's Keep and defeat Yaga-Shura first. My party averaged 4,500,000 XP after this.

Upon entering the dungeon, I casted a messload of anti-evil spells on my party. I sent in my Blade with an Amulet of Power equipped (Prevents level drain...told you I would come prepared). After the first cutscene involving the 2 mages and the vampire, I picked the locked door behind them and proceeded with my Blade only. The game began to chug severely as the bats appeared and even moreso when they turned into vampires. The vampires barely attacked my Blade and spent most of the time running around as if the were hit by a 'Feeblemind' spell. Their scripts were obviously trying to calculate something...maybe a way to my unprotected party members behind closed doors? Maybe they didn't attack her because she had on that Amulet of Power? Nope.

I sent in my Apprentice (swordsman) without protections and they still acted the same...ignoring him 90% of the time as he and my Blade beat on them. I opened the door again and had to order Imoen to cast 'Comet' about five or six times before she actually did it. The bats took no damage whatsoever.

With the game still chugging, I sent all of my party members into the first room of the dungeon and had Imoen cast an Incendiary Cloud into the next room and close the door. That did the job.

This took close to an hour with the severe game chugging. Turning the sounds off didn't even help. I think the problem is lies in the enemy scripting because of their actions and noticeable chug whenever they are close to my party....whew.

EDIT: Oh! The bats were as aggresive as the should have been. No problems there...

#57 Xyx

Xyx
  • 73 posts

Posted 13 October 2002 - 02:01 PM

There's something with the bats that causes the slowdown, but I don't have time to fix it now. :(

You can't hit the bats with Comet because they don't have red circles. No bug there except for BioWare somehow managing to make a comet that discriminates between friend (or neutral) and foe.

#58 Mael

Mael
  • 84 posts

Posted 13 October 2002 - 03:50 PM

Just a few notes, before I begin testing again:

Vampire that gets taken away - I know headstrings are going, but I wasn't sure if this one would be. The mage says "His lord requires the remaining paladins, so must look elsewhere for sustenance." His lord doesn't look right and shouldn't it be "so you must look...".

Infernal Guards - Occasionally when fighting these guys when they cast a spell, in the info screen, the game displayed a journal entry from the Five Flagons Inn.

Strohm's Infernal Guards - When talking to them, I asked "Why do you not attack?" and one of them said "I have no name, for my purpose is to serve.", which didn't seem to match up to me.

Hive Mother - I noticed that she attacked me, as neutral, before ever beginning her dialogue. Is that supposed to happen?

Dialogue - It might be just because of the tiny-as hell corridors of Windspear Hills, but i haven't got an interjection yet (Just before the Cult). I'm going to go to a save right at the start of ToB.

Edit: The third Imoen banter can happen outside the dungeon. Judging by the options, it's not supposed to run until inside the dungeon.

Battle - I have had my butt handed to me several times so far, but it's yet to get to the point of frustration. I died three times fighting Strohm, but I expected that.

I'll do a full report, later, with more dialogue and AI feedback.

~Mael
This way? That way? Which way?

#59 Delvar

Delvar
  • 101 posts

Posted 13 October 2002 - 05:00 PM

What exactly should we be looking for, I've only found a few new things.

#60 Salvanas

Salvanas
  • 16 posts

Posted 13 October 2002 - 06:02 PM

So, Xyx, why exactly are the vampires acting so strange when they should be trying to kill me? It's gotten to the point where I just 'CRTL-Y' them because they do nothing but run all over the screen. Hmm...I'm not so sure if it's a good idea to set that cowardly Paladin (the one that tries to fight you off, via dialogue, because he thinks you're under a spell). My Berserker/Thief just ran in there and smashed him in the face before I could react (Grandmaster's Armor and Boots of Speed + Gauntlets of Extraordinary Weapon Specialization).

Are all of the Knights of the Order supposed to go hostile if you kill the first group in self defense? I told the first group of 3 that I did not trust them and that I would continue on my own and they attacked in response. Ever since then all of the Knights I've found have been hostile.