Atari Loses D&D License

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 12:47 PM

While Darziak touched upon this news in relation to the delay of "Neverwinter", I thought that this deserves its own thread as well. Atari has settled its multi-year lawsuit over the D&D license with Hasbro by returning the license back to Hasbro (owner of Wizards of the Coast).

This ends an era of Atari rushjobs and other crap that has been going on with the D&D license lately (Mask of the Betrayer being an exception). I don't know what the future holds, but at least it's not Atari.

Does Obsidian have interest in developing Icewind Dale 3 now? I still fear it would be Dark Alliance III, but if anyone can develop IWD3, it's Obsidian.

Press Release @ GameBanshee

#2 Daulmakan

Daulmakan

Comfortably numb

• 1065 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 12:54 PM

Would Hasbro license D&D again or just sit on it?

I definitely would be all in for an Obsidian IWD3.

item_pack.jpg   Drows.jpg

#3 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 02:14 PM

It's a very well known brand, and I hardly think that Hasbro would intentionally shoot themselves in the leg financially by not utilizing it. At least Feargus Urquhart has better grounds for negotiations now. According to some reports, Atari showed no interest in IWD3 or equivalent in the last two years, but now we're in a new situation.

#4 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 01:15 PM

In the aftermath of the license changing hands again, Bedlam Games (of D&D Daggerdale infamy) has apparently been effectively shut down. I think it's pretty likely that there's some sort of a connection here.

#5 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 07:32 PM

Gone are the days of TSR and Electronic Arts :(. Not saying those were great, but better than some toy-store-meets-clueless-game-developer story.

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
================================================================
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#6 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 11:49 AM

Pretty much. At least we have some hope of Hasbro not being so stingy with the license now... especially if Obsidian is in the mix. And if Hasbro is feeling generous, we could theoretically see an indie game or at least some other serious attempt at a good D&D game other than Obsidian's.

#7 the bigg

the bigg

2083 is a prime number.

• Modder
  • 3331 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 12:07 PM

we could theoretically see an indie game or at least some other serious attempt at a good D&D game other than Obsidian's.

Alas, poor JCompton...

Italian users: help test the Stivan NPC!

Author or Co-Author: WeiDU - Widescreen - Generalized Biffing - Refinements - TB#Tweaks - IWD2Tweaks - TB#Characters - Traify Tool - Some mods that I won't mention in public
Maintainer: Semi-Multi Clerics - Nalia Mod - Nvidia Fix
Code dumps: Detect custom secondary types - Stutter Investigator

If possible, send diffs, translations and other contributions using Git.

#8 joshuar9476

joshuar9476
  • 128 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 09:21 AM

This ends an era of Atari rushjobs and other crap that has been going on with the D&D license lately (Mask of the Betrayer being an exception). I don't know what the future holds, but at least it's not Atari.

i always liked the true turn based gameplay of TOEE to the BG series .... and i still play it to this day (though that has more to do with the hard work by everyone at Co8 than Atari).

edit: balls! i really need to pay attention to the date on these threads. sorry for thread necromancing

Edited by joshuar9476, 20 November 2011 - 11:18 AM.

i have a witty signature thought up, i just haven't posted it yet.

#9 i30817

i30817
  • 611 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 06:41 PM

Gemrb has better "turnbased" mode for IE now. Spells only pause while in combat and "center on character" also selects them.

If only the game had action points...

(not to mention grappling, zones of control, attacks of opportunity, tripping, tumbling, 5-foot steps and all that fun stuff)

Knights of the chalice is the only game in the last 5 years that has done justice to the rules (but no multiclassing booooo).

It would be massively sweet to implement a alternative turnbased mode in Gemrb.

Edited by i30817, 20 November 2011 - 06:44 PM.