ToBEx + Fishing for Trouble = Crash on start-up

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Grunker

Grunker

Prince Charming

• 1240 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 06:55 AM

Having Fishing for Trouble installed with ToBEx crashes the game on my PC (on start-up).

Is this a known issue/has a fix been introduced? The mod looks hella awesome, so I will want to give it a spin, but I don't want to omit SCSII from my install because of it. For now, I'll just play without FFT, but please let me know if a fix is introduced so I can install it then :)

Regards,

Grunker

PS: This is a link that goes to the G3 thread where I discovered the issue.

EDIT: Jarno informs me the fault might lie with the version of ToBEx included with SCSII. I might test this tommorrow.

Edited by Grunker, 10 September 2011 - 10:00 AM.

"I've heard people complain that the game [the new Prince of Persia] is too easy, which seems odd to me, since I died more times than The Nameless One in a smoothie-maker."

- Yahtzee

#2 Yovaneth

Yovaneth

The newly-appointed Master Builder of Baldur's Gate

• Modder
  • 3058 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 10:09 AM

The problem must be with TobEx. That is something I really can't help with :crying:

-Y-

#3 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 07:24 PM

The solution (as I'm pretty sure has been posted elsewhere) is to install ToBEx (including any mods that include it) before FFT. Pretty sure the BWP/BWS incorporates this as well, which I'd suggested following rather than using guesswork. In this case, it means installing whatever component of SCS that includes ToBEx before FFT. You can install the remaining components after FFT. (In my opinion, it is quite inefficient that SCS includes ToBEx, particularly since the latter changes frequently. It should just REQUIRE_PREDICATE MOD_IS_INSTALLED ~tobex~ instead.)

Also, per the readme: "If using ToBEx, make sure that is installed first."

:rtfm: :P

(@Yovaneth: shouldn't your readme be uploaded here?)

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#4 Shaitan

Shaitan
  • 800 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 12:48 AM

You're almost right, DavidW hasn't been around for app half a year or more.

SCS seriously needs some gentle nursing.

For all it's worth installation of ToBex should be done very early in the proces.

#5 Yovaneth

Yovaneth

• Modder
  • 3058 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 02:04 AM

(@Yovaneth: shouldn't your readme be uploaded here?)

Wouldn't have a clue how to do it. Got any suggestions?

-Y-

#6 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 10:12 PM

Wouldn't have a clue how to do it. Got any suggestions?

Eh, just ask K'ae for the FTP password (I could do it, but you probably have a newer version of the readme, er, you do, don't you? :D).

Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#7 DavidWallace

DavidWallace
  • Validating
  • 337 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 07:22 AM

The solution (as I'm pretty sure has been posted elsewhere) is to install ToBEx (including any mods that include it) before FFT. Pretty sure the BWP/BWS incorporates this as well, which I'd suggested following rather than using guesswork. In this case, it means installing whatever component of SCS that includes ToBEx before FFT. You can install the remaining components after FFT.

This is poor advice. That component of SCS responds to the items etc introduced by other mods, and so needs to be installed as late as possible. If you want ToBEx installed before FFT, just install a standalone copy of TOBEx. The TOBex installer in SCSII (Ascension64's code, not mine) is smart enough to detect that ToBEx is already installed and so skips it.

(In my opinion, it is quite inefficient that SCS includes ToBEx, particularly since the latter changes frequently. It should just REQUIRE_PREDICATE MOD_IS_INSTALLED ~tobex~ instead.)

cf previous discussion: in brief, I don't think it's good design to make SCS dependent on an additional download. (I make an exception for the Fixpack.) I think the issues are fairly analogous to why we ship a copy of WEIDU with every mod even though WEIDU also updates frequently, rather than just telling everyone to download the latest version.

Also, per the readme: "If using ToBEx, make sure that is installed first."

The code to include ToBEx in SCSII was coded for me by Ascension64, so I infer the mod's creator is happy with it being installed at that point. (With very rare exceptions, ToBEx isn't actually altering in-game files, so to a large extent it's not important when it's installed.)

:rtfm: :P

I'm glad to see that standards of courtesy and intelligent discussion haven't deteriorated in my absence.

#8 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 05:34 PM

Issue noted (and http://forums.gibber...96 as well), I'll try and work out what the problem is. In case I cannot reproduce, does anyone have a Windows Error Report of the assertion? The main thing that would help is the BGMain.exe offset (if there was one).

--------------
Retired Modder
Note: I do not respond to profile comments/personal messages in regards to troubleshooting my modifications. Please post on the public forums instead.

Baldur's Gate Trilogy-WeiDU and Mods
Throne of Bhaal Extender (TobEx)

Contributions: (NWN2) A Deathstalker (voice acting) - (IWD2) IWD2 NPC Project (soundset editing) - (Misc) SHS PC Soundsets (voice acting)
Legacy: (BG/Tutu/BGT) Beregost Crash Fixer 1.9 (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Enable conversations with charmed/dominated creatures (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Experience Corrections (18 Jul 10) - (Misc) Platform Conversion Utility RC2 (13 Feb 10)

#9 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 04:34 AM

Culprit:

-----410 Externalise Race Selection StrRef [C, M, X]
(Different implementation to, and clashes with tob_hacks)

FFT uses the tob_hacks implementation, and hence an obvious CTD if used together.

I am very reluctantly placing the following into the TobEx_redist installation, since there really isn't any other hackish way that FFT can deal with race StrRefs without incorporating TobEx into the mod.
ACTION_IF (MOD_IS_INSTALLED ~DQ/SETUP-DQ.TP2~ 0) BEGIN
    COPY "TobEx_ini/TobExCore.ini" "TobEx_ini/TobExCore.ini"
      REPLACE_TEXTUALLY ~Externalise Race Selection StrRef=1~ ~Externalise Race Selection StrRef=0~
    BUT_ONLY_IF_IT_CHANGES
  END

--------------
Retired Modder
Note: I do not respond to profile comments/personal messages in regards to troubleshooting my modifications. Please post on the public forums instead.

Contributions: (NWN2) A Deathstalker (voice acting) - (IWD2) IWD2 NPC Project (soundset editing) - (Misc) SHS PC Soundsets (voice acting)
Legacy: (BG/Tutu/BGT) Beregost Crash Fixer 1.9 (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Enable conversations with charmed/dominated creatures (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Experience Corrections (18 Jul 10) - (Misc) Platform Conversion Utility RC2 (13 Feb 10)

#10 Yovaneth

Yovaneth

• Modder
  • 3058 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 10:24 AM

Very many thanks, Ascension. I'm preparing a 1.5 release so I'll ensure that the readme states (in huge letters) "install before TobEx". :lol:

-Y-

#11 ScuD

ScuD
  • 492 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 11:42 AM

Yovaneth, can you also skip the exe patching in FFT if TobEx is detected?

#12 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 03:13 PM

Yovaneth, can you also skip the exe patching in FFT if TobEx is detected?

It already does that. A64 has made it (or will make it) so that you could in theory install TobEx after FFT (or install it via mods like SCS2 that package it).

Also, it already says in the readme to install TobEx before FFT, but you could clarify it to the extent that you should install TobEx or any mods bundling TobEx (such as SCS2) if you want to take full advantage of TobEx, otherwise (as of the next release of TobEx presumably) install order shouldn't matter.

[Edit: actually, it might not skip .exe patching if TobEx is detected, since we patch it to do other things that TobEx does not do, but it will skip the race strref externalisation, which is the only thing TobEx does that we also do. Just technicalities though.]

Edited by Miloch, 26 October 2011 - 03:16 PM.

#13 ScuD

ScuD
  • 492 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 03:26 PM

OK, I didn't know. Good. Installed TobEx always first anyway ;)

#14 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 04:24 PM

FYI, the check for FFT will only occur if TobEx is not yet installed (previous version detect = 0). This is because an upgrade of an already existing TobEx installed before FFT will not crash using the current version of TobEx.

--------------
Retired Modder