LolFixer Thread

• Please log in to reply
355 replies to this topic

#281 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 13 September 2015 - 11:29 AM

That argument would be valid - if th purpose of the component wasn't precisely to fix that. But since it's a "fixer", it doesn't matter whether cres are vanilla or not.
The component that does this is "Creature Stuff - Inventory Unborker (removes spurious references to the item table)" btw - and by my principle of non-deletion of absolutely ANY game content, I remove spurious references to non-existent items by nulling them and remove references to exiting items by actually referring to them.

If you're referring to the Lolfixer part... well, I'm open to ideas :unsure:
The thing is, I checked a dozen or so creatures, and it literally happens on every second creature affected. If you want, I can drop the whole log here, but I think that a systematic problem would be better handled in a systematic way. To be constructive,
1) the very first thing that comes to mind is to check whether the cre already has the same item. That would get rid of blatant duplicates.
2) also it could be useful to check whether the cre already has an item of the same type (at least, for armor and weapons).
3) it doesn't make sense to add undroppable items into inventory unless they are also equipped. Check grael.cre/immune1.itm, for example. (On the other hand, since they're undroppable, you could equip them into invalid slots when all valid ones are busy).

Also, unrelated to the above, but
4) I think "equipping" component doesn't always work. For instance, alanbl.cre/bow05.itm.
5) You should be more careful moving around items. Sometimes they are in invalid slots for a reason. Take Kangax. You move his ring to either a ring slot or inventory - poof, it's pickpocketable!
Before we start, I'd like to mention that I still do think the CENTEOL-like cases (extra quest items) are where the lolfixer fails - the IRONGU-like (extra standard equipment) ones are, ignorable, IMHO. I wrote the component because I didn't want CREs in my game to have "hidden and inaccessible" treasure.

1) & 2) I don't see the problem with this in IRONGU-like cases other than maybe a lack of immersion (also the lolfixer is not supposed to be a gameplay mod - it's a purely technical mod that aims to fix crashes and unlock content) - in CENTEOL-like cases, this will have no effect
3) In the case you mentioned, equipping IMMUNE1 on GRAEL.CRE would make him immune to lots of stuff - which is seriously not what this component should be doing haphazardly. Would rather just assign an inventory reference and let it sit.
4) Will have a look thanks :)
5) There is a very nice flag for CRE-based items which sets an item to unstealable - no unstealable flag set? I guess fair game for pickpockets.

Edited by Lollorian, 13 September 2015 - 11:32 AM.

"I am the smiley addict, yellow and round, this is my grin :D when I'm usually around :P.
When there's trouble brewing, see me post, cuz it's usually a wall o' yellow and your eyes are toast!!!"

BWP GUIDE - BWP FIXES - impFAQ - NPC LIST - KIT LIST - AREA LIST

GitHub Links : BWP Fixpack | Lolfixer | BWP Trimpack | RezMod

#282 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5150 posts

Posted 13 September 2015 - 11:53 AM

Yes, you are totally off.

Based on ?
2) also it could be useful to check whether the cre already has an item of the same type (at least, for armor and weapons).
Yeah, well, do you know how long it would take to make such a lists and do the corrective comparison and identifying the best outputs and so on and forward ?
Or the mod could be used to summearly be installed and looked up on ... and make fixes based on the output.

So now the .cre has 3 armors, you can --change-log the .cre file and report the findings of that to the proper place that the mod that adds the 3 armors can be corrected or the action can be removed.
But no, why on earth would you bother, while you could just complain to Lollorian of a thing he only made you able to see ? :wall: That could be fixed in the mod so it won't be there in the next megamod install ?
If you want, I can drop the whole log here, but I think that a systematic problem would be better handled in a systematic way. To be constructive,
Now we are getting somewhere... the way to fix all of these is to go and make a clean and properly made and incontraversiable evidence chain which points to a single mod and then go and report the wrongdoings to that mods forum.
AKA, --change-log the irongu.cre file, and then heck which mods backup doesn't have the extra armors in the inventory slots, and then report the fact to that mods forum. Easy ? Should be.
And the BiG World Fixpack can then pickup the fix from that forum instead of it needing to report all it's findings backwards.

Edited by The Imp, 13 September 2015 - 12:08 PM.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#283 -qwerty1234567-

-qwerty1234567-

Posted 13 September 2015 - 03:12 PM

The component that does this is "Creature Stuff - Inventory Unborker (removes spurious references to the item table)" btw - and by my principle of non-deletion of absolutely ANY game content, I remove spurious references to non-existent items by nulling them and remove references to exiting items by actually referring to them.
If you're referring to the Lolfixer part... well, I'm open to ideas :unsure:
Well, the mod is called lolfixer. (Kind of scarce) documentation says "It changes stuff that are KNOWN to cause problems and will never do something that could've been fixed in another way". Somehow, it still changes things that are not known to cause problems.
On the points,
1-2) It's your mod, of course, so it's up to you what it does. But I would suggest at least to be more clear about it. Like, if it deliberately introduces bugs and exploits, it's fair to mention that in readme.
And the components that are not qualified as "fixer" part shouldn't be included into recommended version of BWP, (or categorized as "corrections", for that matter).
3) It's a misunderstanding then. I thought it's exactly what it would do - like fixing Grael missing half his immunities. Again, see the above.
5) Yes, there is. But you don't use it, do you? No, it's not actually a fair game, it's an exploit. 

Based on ?

Yeah, well, do you know how long it would take to make such a lists and do the corrective comparison and identifying the best outputs and so on and forward ?
Or the mod could be used to summearly be installed and looked up on ... and make fixes based on the output.
So now the .cre has 3 armors, you can --change-log the .cre file and report the findings of that to the proper place that the mod that adds the 3 armors can be corrected or the action can be removed.
But no, why on earth would you bother, while you could just complain to Lollorian of a thing he only made you able to see ? :wall: That could be fixed in the mod so it won't be there in the next megamod install ?

Based on the fact that you're talking pure nonsense. There no need to make lists.
You really are thick, aren't you? It's a fucking vanilla cre. OK, I get that checking something yourself is way over your mental capabilities. But reading, too? Do world a favor, next time you have logorrhoea - talk to the mirror.

#284 The Imp

The Imp

• 5150 posts

Posted 14 September 2015 - 02:06 AM

You really are thick, aren't you? It's a ... vanilla cre.
Well, I knew I didn't have the tools to check... see I didn't have the Near Infinity installed on the computer I am working here with.
A Vanilla BG1 creature. Yeah, so how many other levels does the creature has besides the fighter he is currently under ? And from which class did he dual from to gain the 23 HPs it currently has, to the being a fighter ? +Any constitution bonuses. It's not like there's anything wrong there either.

But seriously now, does his bigger brother, that of "ironelit.cre" have the same like problem ? Cause the vanilla BG1 ironelit,cre has a leather armor too. Asking cause yet again I don't have the tools currently at my disposal.
These can be fixed in the BGT's export function or right afterit. They just need to be reported. I am still waiting the list. The copy paste can't be that hard.

Ahh yeah, the SCS was effected by the armors... and DavidW saw it wiser to remove the use of the irongu.cre's completelly and copy paste the ironelit.cre's as their place. Or I would remember something to that effect.

Edited by The Imp, 14 September 2015 - 10:11 AM.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#285 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 14 September 2015 - 09:51 AM

Damn I'm seriously considering renaming the thing now :unsure:

I think you're missing the purpose of the lolfixer :( It's not supposed to know anything about what it changes - it just reads files and tries to process it... which means it will NOT know whether Grael is missing half his immunities or whether Kangaxx's ring was supposed to be non-stealable.

Instead of going about arguing semantics, I'd appreciate if we can come up with a purely technical solution for the 5 points you raised. The solution should:

- be applicable for all files of a certain type

- not differentiate between vanilla or mod stuff

- not add anything new into the file

Anything, even rough algorithms, would help and I'll try to convert it into WeiDU and test it out in my installation during the weekend. If it doesn't break atleast a vanilla BGT installation, I'd be more than happy to include it :)

PS: Ignore the documentation - I only work on that part when I feel like it... which was around 3 years ago last time :P

"I am the smiley addict, yellow and round, this is my grin :D when I'm usually around :P.
When there's trouble brewing, see me post, cuz it's usually a wall o' yellow and your eyes are toast!!!"

#286 -qwerty1234567-

-qwerty1234567-

Posted 14 September 2015 - 02:03 PM

Damn I'm seriously considering renaming the thing now :unsure:

I think you're missing the purpose of the lolfixer :( It's not supposed to know anything about what it changes - it just reads files and tries to process it... which means it will NOT know whether Grael is missing half his immunities or whether Kangaxx's ring was supposed to be non-stealable.
Well, now I get it. Probably other people might be mislead, still. There are all kinds of side effects to just moving items around. At least, users should be warned about them (if you don't fancy designing safer changes).

I believe I did some suggestions already. Checking (and deleting) dupes should be trivial to implement. I might send a pull request if I get around anytime soon.
Checking (and deleting) items of the same type is also doable (although I'm not sure if that agrees completely with the purpose of the mod).

In the particular cases of Grael and Kangaxx and alike, yeah, it actually can know about them (but again, I'm still not sure if that's the scope):
- immune1.itm is not obtainable by the player (it's missing ground icon, description, etc). So it's pretty clear that what is it supposed to do.
- Gaxx ring is in an unpickpocketable slot (with bg2fixpack). So yes, it's supposed to be unstealable.

#287 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 08:10 AM

Yes a pull request would be awesome :cheers:

I'm still thinking about how to handle the CENTEOL thing though... how do we identify a quest item in pure technical terms? (duplicate spider's bane is ok, but the body double is a strict no-no :P)

EDIT: Since you mentioned the BG2Fixpack, I remember I used to handle cases that were left out by it and found the commit where I removed that block:

Spoiler

I think it was when I decided that the list was paltry enough to not handle specifically :lol: That was a joke btw... there must be another reason.

The point being the code is pretty robust to reimplement a system like this again so it should be easy for you :) Do ask about whatever shittiness I did whenever you feel as well... I'm never ashamed to say I code like a monkey with a typewriter :D

PS: Can you please attach or link to your full lolfixer log file like the Imp asked btw?

Edited by Lollorian, 15 September 2015 - 08:24 AM.

#288 Niewiem

Niewiem
  • 33 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 09:18 AM

I think I`ll put it here as it did not get any answers yet:

http://www.shsforums...l-form-new-guy/

Leonardo Watson had same problem with his latest BWP :)

#289 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 16 September 2015 - 07:38 AM

You mean the F_6666.ARE error? Yeah, I'm waiting to find some time to sync up the git repo with Leonardo's latest release (he's made quite a few changes of his own in there :unsure:)

Will have a look :cheers:

#290 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 08:46 AM

So an update :) I had a look at how to identify quest items - narrowed down on the following conditions:

- item must not be a random treasure

- item must be unsellable

- item must be a misc item with price = 0

So, revised item unborker :cheers: (found = 0 means it was not referenced in the inventory table btw :P)

Spoiler

New log for CENTEO.CRE:

Spoiler

Also, just to clarify something:

5) Yes, there is. But you don't use it, do you? No, it's not actually a fair game, it's an exploit.

Actually, I do set the unstealable flag when moving to inventory :) You'll find lines like these:

WRITE_BYTE  ("%itm_off%" + 0x10 + (0x14 * "%ref%")) ("%cre_flags%" BOR 0b00000010)

#291 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 01:22 PM

I have a major problem with these components

SETUP-LOLFIXER.TP2~ 0 9 // Item Stuff - Portrait Icon Assigner: 21102015 and 0 10 // Item Stuff -Proper Immunity Assigner: 21102015

I just did a BWS mega-mod install (all-you-can eat) to do a regression test for the Sandrah mods.

I found that my NPCs personal items have been tweaked beyond comprehension by that lolfixer item stuff thing.

There are loads of extra effects and capabilities assigned to the items that contradict the original intention.

What is the real intention of this component?

Is there a way to excempt items from its manipulations?

Edited by Roxanne, 02 November 2015 - 01:25 PM.

The Sandrah Saga

another piece of *buggy, cheesy, unbalanced junk*

#292 The Imp

The Imp

• 5150 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 01:26 PM

I have a major problem with this component

SETUP-LOLFIXER.TP2~ 0 9 // Item Stuff - Portrait Icon Assigner

I just did a BWS mega-mod install (all-you-can eat) to do a regression test for the Sandrah mods.

I found that my NPCs personal items have been tweaked beyond comprehension by that lolfixer item stuff thing.

There are loads of extra effects and capabilities assigned to the items that contradict the original intention.

If you change logged the items, upload them so Lollorian can take a look at them, there's likely something odd going on them after some mod that botches them.

#293 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 01:33 PM

I have a major problem with this component

SETUP-LOLFIXER.TP2~ 0 9 // Item Stuff - Portrait Icon Assigner

If you change logged the items, upload them so Lollorian can take a look at them, there's likely something odd going on them after some mod that botches them.

Here are some example change-logs

The changes that really bother me are the final ones done by lolfixer - but Imp may be right that some mod before that did a change to trigger lolfixer's action.

EDIT

I took a deeper look into the changes made on the items prior lolfixer - although the number of effects is almost doubled from the original none of it has any impact (they are somehow redundant variations only). However what lolfixer does is, it takes all of these effects and adds a portrait item for them until you see nothing anymore of the NPC (it also does similar for other party members). This may have been the components original idea, it is just not working in conjunction with all these item/spell tweaking mods - you will not even be able to see when one of your NPCs or the PC gets injured or spell affected, everything is cluttered already.

I am still standing near Gorion's dead body with minimum equipment out of Candlekeep and PC has two portrait items, Imoen has three and Sandrah has five - just wait when we get real equipment,,,

Edited by Roxanne, 02 November 2015 - 02:37 PM.

The Sandrah Saga

#294 Fouinto

Fouinto
  • 458 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 09:19 AM

I like this component !
The last time, I used it (maybe one year ago or such) it filled icons up to half of the portrait... but, if you don't like it... don't install it :doh:

#295 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 09:32 AM

I like this component !
The last time, I used it (maybe one year ago or such) it filled icons up to half of the portrait... but, if you don't like it... don't install it :doh:

This is not the point here.

When a modder creates a new item with some abilities, he/she assigns the effects for this item including the portrait items to be displayed or not not displayed. The changes of lolfixer here may be valid for vanilla game items but not for items created by other mods with some intention - on top of that some icons are not correct, Just do not try to outsmart the work of others - this is the point here.

This is not item fixing but item tweaking.

Edited by Roxanne, 03 November 2015 - 09:43 AM.

The Sandrah Saga

#296 The Imp

The Imp

• 5150 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 11:03 AM

Ahh...

This is not item fixing but item tweaking.

Yeah... a visual tweak-or-fix is an optional component. :devil: The ruling is "a little here, a little there" one. :ROFL:
Hmm, Lollorian, can you also make a counter component, one that removes all the display while wearing icons from the portrait view ? :tease:

#297 Fouinto

Fouinto
  • 458 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 11:04 AM

This is not the point here.When a modder creates a new item with some abilities, he/she assigns the effects for this item including the portrait items to be displayed or not not displayed. The changes of lolfixer here may be valid for vanilla game items but not for items created by other mods with some intention - on top of that some icons are not correct, Just do not try to outsmart the work of others - this is the point here.
I disagree with you : this is the goal of modding : change (not only "improve" the way I or you think) what others have done.
This is not the point here.This is not item fixing but item tweaking.
OK, now, I think I understand the idea. And I agree :)

#298 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 07:51 AM

I'll probably take the lazy route and rename the component to 'Tweak' or something when I get around to it (sorry I've been travelling a while so can't exactly do code stuff :P)

Or maybe rename the mod to whatever but I think the BWS will need an small update and the BWP batches will break until Leonardo updates it :P

@Roxanne: Can you maybe elaborate on the "There are loads of extra effects and capabilities assigned to the items that contradict the original intention" bit please? Specifically:

- What extra effects (aside from the aforementioned portrait icons) are your items getting? the mod should be stripping duplicate and redundant effects not adding them

- Please don't consider this the wrong way, but I'd like to know the 'original intention' - I might be able to accommodate it with some shitty variable checks and stuff :)

Before and after examples of any added erroneous effects (with attachments) would be awesome :)

#299 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 09:21 AM

I'll probably take the lazy route and rename the component to 'Tweak' or something when I get around to it (sorry I've been travelling a while so can't exactly do code stuff :P)

Or maybe rename the mod to whatever but I think the BWS will need an small update and the BWP batches will break until Leonardo updates it :P

@Roxanne: Can you maybe elaborate on the "There are loads of extra effects and capabilities assigned to the items that contradict the original intention" bit please? Specifically:

- What extra effects (aside from the aforementioned portrait icons) are your items getting? the mod should be stripping duplicate and redundant effects not adding them

- Please don't consider this the wrong way, but I'd like to know the 'original intention' - I might be able to accommodate it with some shitty variable checks and stuff :)

Before and after examples of any added erroneous effects (with attachments) would be awesome :)

Sorry for the mess - I see the intention behind lolfixer and I think it does its stuff well in the majority of cases. Working with scripts and makros just sometimes fishes out something they should not.

After all the mods do their game with Sandrah's items her initial appearance in the game (in BG1) is like a Mellisan incarnation (Example ). When I give her the initial unchanged items, all is well (). One reason is how her items work together and are used by her script (which obviously cannot be detected by other mods).

So my very easy solution is to do just this in a BWS/BWP install, ie. install the mod, let all the other mods do their tweaks and then reinstall the few items that should not be changed by a little patch I posted here http://www.shsforums...37#entry582034.

Otherwise you would need to adjust Lolfixer everytime something changes in another mod (Sandrah is still beta tested) instead of letting thiis mod solve the problem by itself. (Or is there any method to excempt a file from being *corrected*?)

Edited by Roxanne, 04 November 2015 - 09:25 AM.

The Sandrah Saga

#300 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 09:32 AM

Sorry for the mess - I see the intention behind lolfixer and I think it does its stuff well in the majority of cases. Working with scripts and makros just sometimes fishes out something they should not.

After all the mods do their game with Sandrah's items her initial appearance in the game (in BG1) is like a Mellisan incarnation (Example attachicon.gifSANRING_Tweaked.itm). When I give her the initial unchanged items, all is well (attachicon.gifSANRING.ITM). One reason is how her items work together and are used by her script (which obviously cannot be detected by other mods).

So my very easy solution is to do just this in a BWS/BWP install, ie. install the mod, let all the other mods do their tweaks and then reinstall the few items that should not be changed by a little patch I posted here http://www.shsforums...37#entry582034.

Otherwise you would need to adjust Lolfixer everytime something changes in another mod (Sandrah is still beta tested) instead of letting thiis mod solve the problem by itself. (Or is there any method to excempt a file from being *corrected*?) And lastly, Lolfixer is applying its changes on files that have already been modified by four or five other mods before - so it is not your mod alone but the concerto of all these tweaks culmulating - and the result may be a different one in any possible constellation chosen for install.

The Sandrah Saga