Photo

Syvishtar's Journal

• Please log in to reply
1504 replies to this topic

#1301 Zarrk

Zarrk
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 02:24 AM

At least crushing giant bored (and probably drunk) beetles is a little more epic than slaying rats in Candlekeep.

About Imoen, things look a little messed up, I saw you already tweaked her character file. Given that Nej and the Firewalker kit are working, I suspect that Charming Rogue is present and that somehow Imoen defaulted to a basic rogue. If that's the case just changing the kit value (try 0x403A or dig in the most recent kit.ids in the game directory) and a little rollback of levels should do the trick.

With my current BWS installation (finished Tuesday afternoon) every Imoen's version works flawlessly but BG2 Jaheira reverts to a mundane druid so the reason is certainly too many npcs and kits mods installed.

For a Firewalker Shar-Teel the only choice is B, you can nearly feel the trail of flames she left in her wake.

Really looking forward the next updates to see how Nej fits in the whole story, I never had the courage to step into this portal.

Onwards to your destiny child of Bhaal, no matter whichewer trials and foes you encounter you will prevail because you'll always have the Weave and bunnies to your side.

#1302 Huzzahfortimelines

Huzzahfortimelines
  • 15 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 06:47 AM

I'd say option C, it's a fresh new face, and I like the look of it.

#1303 hook71

hook71
  • 280 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 12:49 PM

I'll vote for B.

#1304 Yovaneth

Yovaneth

The newly-appointed Master Builder of Baldur's Gate

• Modder
  • 3058 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 02:01 AM

B.

-Y-

#1305 Almateria

Almateria

most garbage person

• Modder
  • 969 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 03:00 AM

A. Live with the horribleness

#1306 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 04:47 AM

Looks like D it is:
A.  ..
B.  ....
C.  ...
D.  ......................

I'll go with that.
The Monk is always out to keep a wild mage down. But the Weave, she speaks to me. Together we work our collective will on this brittle, cracking world.
Playing the Big World Project Let's Play both here and on the Something Awful forums.

#1307 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 08:49 PM

BWP20140614099.jpg

?? ????, ????

Imoen and I try to cast Armor on ourselves, but the beetle... it, it BITES me! I lose my spell!

BWP20140613002.jpg

This hasn't happened since, well... I can't even remember! Thankfully Imoen gets her spell off. Shar-Teel is opening a can of whoop-ass on the beetles.

BWP20140613003.jpg

The one next to me keeps biting me, even though I drink a healing potion. This is so embarrassing. I actually have to retreat and then cast Mirror Image.

BWP20140613004.jpg

Shar-Teel strikes down another beetle, and I try to drink another potion.

BWP20140613005.jpg

The final beetle turns on Shar-Teel as she attacks it, and chomps a large chunk out of her too before it dies. So it isn't just me. Great!

BWP20140613006.jpg

We take a look around. There's plenty of foodstuffs down here.

BWP20140613009.jpg

I guess that's it?

BWP20140613010.jpg

BWP20140613011.jpg

Gameplay note: 250xp! 5 gold! Life is looking up again. I only need... 180,781 more xp to level!

BWP20140613012.jpg

We leave the Inn. I want to go talk to this person at the temple. They'll probably be more informative than others.

BWP20140614001.jpg

Or, maybe the fishmonger first?

BWP20140614003.jpg

BWP20140614004.jpg

gaspar.jpg That's because it isn't, my friend. This is my home. I may be a fishmonger, but that doesn't mean I hawk fish like some street vendor. I deal in large quantities of dried knucklehead and scrimshaw, the bulk of which I keep stored in my warehouse down on the shore.

BRKVQ.jpg Dried what?

gaspar.jpg Knucklehead trout. It's a rare fish found only in the lakes of the Ten-Towns. Their bones are used to produce valuable scrimshaw.

BRKVQ.jpg What exactly is scrimshaw?

gaspar.jpg Scrimshaw's simply a fancy name for carved bone. Since knucklehead trout are so rare, scrimshaw carvings made from their bones are particularly valuable. Scrimshaw from Easthaven is prized by fine artists and craftsmen throughout the realms.

BRKVQ.jpg You must make a decent amount of coin selling these fish.

gaspar.jpg It's an honest living. I make most of my profit from trade, though. As a matter of fact, I've an important transaction in the works as we speak.

BRKVQ.jpg What sort of transaction?

gaspar.jpg The town's food stores are running dangerously low. My warehouse foreman, Churin, tells me that there may not be enough food to last through the coming winter. I've arranged a trade with ol' Gallaway up in Caer-Dinival that will keep our stomachs full well into next year. The caravan's due to arrive any day now.

BRKVQ.jpg Well, best of luck to you. Farewell.

Maybe I should check out this warehouse. It's down by the water. I start walking in that direction, but I pass a panicked-looking man on the way there.

BWP20140614006.jpg

apsel.jpg A wolf somehow got into my workshop and is tearing the place apart. It attacked m as I was opening the shop this morning. I was so startled by the sight of the beast that I accidentally broke the key off in the lock while trying to get away. Now I can't even get back in.

BRKVQ.jpg Your shop? What do you sell?

apsel.jpg I am a scrimshander. I carve the huge, bony skulls of knucklehead trout into fine works of art. This summer, southlanders will come up and buy my pieces to take back to their fancy shops -- that is, of course, if I ever get any work done. Damn wolf!

BRKVQ.jpg What is it exactly that you want me to do?

apsel.jpg I'd be most grateful if you could go in there and get rid of that stupid thing for me. Then I could go back to my scrimshaw. Of course, you'll have to find a way to get the door open first.

I... I still need money.

BRKVQ.jpg Sounds like quite a task. What's in it for me?

apsel.jpg All right, you greedy bastard, I'll throw in some gold for your trouble. Will that satisfy your copper-clenching black heart?

BRKVQ.jpg Very well. I'll dispatch your troublesome hound shortly.

apsel.jpg I sincerely thank you. The door to my shop is just around the corner here. Please get rid of that demonic canine as soon as possible, and bring me his pelt.

Imoen is able to Imoen the door open.

BWP20140614008.jpg

And I send in Shar-Teel first, alone.

BWP20140614009.jpg

Then Imoen and I follow. She is hit!

BWP20140614010.jpg

Imoen and I start casting Magic Missile at the same time, but mine gets off first by a wide margin.

BWP20140614011.jpg

Imoen's being really slowed down by that armor. But when her missiles do go off, that and Shar-Teel's sword take out the troublesome beast.

BWP20140614012.jpg

A winter wolf. A big deal for me in my younger days. Not so much now.

Then I take a look around. This is truly a fascinating workshop. I can't remember the last time I was in a place of such organized chaos.

BWP20140614014.jpg

Apsel is pretty happy about the wolf pelt.

BWP20140614015.jpg

He gives us 6 gold, and his very own dagger.

BWP20140614016.jpg

This is a nice dagger. Too nice to sell. I'm keeping it! Then we finish our trip to the fish warehouse.

BWP20140614017.jpg

BWP20140614018.jpg

churin.jpg Me? Ah, nothing much. I manage this warehouse here for the fishmonger, Gaspar. I get paid a sum to store scrimshaw and emergency food supplies here through the harsh winters.

BRKVQ.jpg Well, that certainly sounds like it would be important in a place like this. What does the rest of Easthaven do?

churin.jpg Well, most of them fish for knucklehead trout in Lac Dinneshere. It's not a rich living in terms of wealth, but living up here, a man can still lead a very rich life.

BRKVQ.jpg I see. Have you heard anything interesting around town lately?

churin.jpg Well, spending as much time as I do here in this stuffy ol' warehouse, I don't get to hear much gossip. If you really want to know what's going on in these parts, I suggest you buy a few rounds over at the Winter's Cradle tavern. You'll find that drinking and spinning yarns are two of Easthaven's favorite pastimes.

BRKVQ.jpg The tavern eh? Alright, I'll try my luck there. Farewell.

Ok, that was a dead end.

The Monk is always out to keep a wild mage down. But the Weave, she speaks to me. Together we work our collective will on this brittle, cracking world.
Playing the Big World Project Let's Play both here and on the Something Awful forums.

#1308 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 08:49 PM

Imoen makes a couple of detours on the way back, though.

BWP20140614020.jpg

She finds another winter wolf pelt!

BWP20140614022.jpg

And, in the next home... piles of dirty dishes.

BWP20140614024.jpg

While she's in there, Shar-Teel shivers and starts ranting.

BWP20140614025.jpg

Shar-Teel-Firewalker.jpeg (*Gruffly*) So, my words amuse you do they? Would you be just as amused to hear the price necromancers would be willing to pay for elf's body parts?

Shar-Teel-Firewalker.jpeg Mock me again and I'll not only be making myself some serious coin, but also several of those unscrupulous creatures that I know very happy!

Whaaa? Come on, Shar-Teel, it was just a joke!

Perhaps Imoen heard us, because as soon as she comes out of the house, she throws a snowball at me!

BWP20140614026.jpg

Imoen-bg2.jpeg (*Picking up a handful of fresh snow*)... Sometimes it is difficult to remember the good parts of those years Syvishtar. Candlekeep and Gorion, all memories that I do not want to ever lose, and yet I am so afraid that in time I will.

Imoen-bg2.jpeg We have come so far and learnt so much, how can we ever be the same? You discover your father to be the god of murder, you have been hunted by and forced to fight and kill Sarevok, your own power-crazed brother.

Imoen-bg2.jpeg I have no brother or sister, so I can only imagine how awful that had to have been for you Syvishtar, not that Sarevok would have made a very nice brother anyway, but still, to have to kill him...

Imoen-bg2.jpeg Now, thanks to this Irenicus, we land up... well, wherever it is we are now! It is just not fair, Syvishtar! I want my... our life back the way it was before all this child of Bhaal palaver!

BRKVQ.jpg All good memories are worth hanging onto, but that is all they are, memories. Whereas the past will always be with us, we have a future to look at now, even if fate decrees that our futures now lie in this strange land.

Imoen-bg2.jpeg (*Tosses the snowball at you*)... Then I guess it can not hurt to make a new memory. And besides, there is no use in letting a good snowball go to waste now is there?

BRKVQ.jpg (*Dodging Imoen's snowball*) Imoen! I despair of you. No matter, let us move on before all this ruckus gets us noticed.

Imoen-bg2.jpeg You got lucky there, bet I get you with my next one!

In another small house next to the temple, we spy something lying on the ground.

BWP20140614027.jpg

It turns out to be an ENTIRE spear. Yay.

There is also some sort of fishing ... building... thing.

BWP20140614028.jpg

Inside said building, we find Old Jed.

BWP20140614029.jpg

old-jed.jpg Well, there's no need ta be mean about it. It's a real problem for me, you see. I NEED me wine ta fish. It's a matter of life and death, matey!

BRKVQ.jpg Well, is there anything I can do to support your downward spiral into oblivion?

old-jed.jpg Ye could go ta Pomab's and fetch me some wine. Then I could git back ta me fishing. I would be grateful for it. I'd go ta git it meself, but two summers past, I got so mad at that pompous Pomab that I threw his sorry behind into Lac Dinneshere.

BRKVQ.jpg Just how grateful are you going to be?

old-jed.jpg Well, uh... I can give ye a bit o' gold. And... and, ye can be a member o' the Eternal Brotherhood of Fishermen!

BRKVQ.jpg Well, in that case, I'll do it.

old-jed.jpg Aye! Thanks, matey. Ye can find Pomab's store in the nort-east corner o' town.

BRKVQ.jpg Great. I'll be back presently.

I go to talk to Pomab. He sells wine for only 3 gold a bottle!

BWP20140614030.jpg

Imoen also sells the winter wolf pelt and a gem she has come across. Then, after we report back to Old Jed...

BWP20140614032.jpg

We have 137 gold!

BWP20140614033.jpg

Much better than the 44 we had yesterday.

Well, this town is pretty much tapped out. Time to go to the temple and talk to someone who knows what is going on.

We get to the temple. It is actually quite impressive.

BWP20140614034.jpg

When I step into the temple, I catch a glimpse of blonde hair and my heart stops for a moment. Then it begins pounding in my chest. First Shar-Teel, and then Branwen?! But wait, no... it's not her. She looks at me and does not recognize me.

BWP20140614035.jpg

Accalia.jpeg Tempus is revered a great deal by the barbarian tribes up here. They call him "Tempos." We immigrants see a lot of conflict and violence in these parts, and people want to make sense out of it all.

I realize a question that had been burning in my mind for a long time now.

BRKVQ.jpg And what sense *can* be made out of it all?

Accalia.jpeg It is actually part of a simple truth that we Tempurans believe. Conflict is all around us. Every man and woman has something that he or she believes in, which he or she will die to promote or preserve. Tempus tells us that we should live for something of importance. If we kill, if we die... the same. We preach that conflict and war are vital to mankind's existence.

BRKVQ.jpg I agree. Even if we don't like the fact that it's happening, conflict is pretty inevitable in life.

Don't I know it.

Accalia.jpeg Exactly. That is why we Easthaveners practice the Tempuran faith and perform the rituals of the Lord of Battles.

BRKVQ.jpg What rituals do you perform?

Accalia.jpeg We celebrate the Feast of the Moon in remembrance of the battle dead. We also sing the Song of the Sword at least once a tenday. Because of the church's close proximity to the site of so many great battles, our congregation also has local celebrations to remember all of the mighty conflicts that have raged across Icewind Dale. The most important daily ceremonies are the Feast of Heroes at highsun and the Song for the Fallen at sunset.

BRKVQ.jpg What are the "Feast of the Heroes" and the "Song for the Fallen?"

Accalia.jpeg They're pretty straightforward. The Feast of Heroes is a meal that we eat at highsun. During it, we remember the final meal which each warrior eats before h or she enters mortal battle. The Song for the Fallen is a dirge that we sing at sunset as a daily memorial for those who have died in battle.

BRKVQ.jpg Interesting. What local battles do you celebrate?

Accalia.jpeg We celebrate the Battle of Jerrod's Stone. I'd tell you more about it, but Everard prefers that any questions about it be directed to him... he has somewhat of a different perspective on the teachings than most. Ask him about it if you see him.

BRKVQ.jpg What's Everard like?

Accalia.jpeg Everard... well, Everard is still adjusting to his position here. I think he'd much rather still be serving Tempus on the front lines, but his duty is to guard this holy site - the site of Jerrod's Stone. You should ask him about it; he knows more of the tale than I do.

BRKVQ.jpg Everard is both a warrior and a priest? How does that fit into the Tempuran faith?

Accalia.jpeg It is actually part of that same truth that I spoke about before.

BRKVQ.jpg That's interesting. It was nice speaking with you, Accalia, but I must be off. Farewell.

Then I go take in the statue to the Lord of Battles. It is pretty freaking awesome.

BWP20140614036.jpg

I would have no problems worshiping a god that is depicted standing on two horses at the same time. That is some sweet action.

#1309 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 08:50 PM

Eventually I notice Everard standing at the foot of the statue.

BWP20140614037.jpg

everard.jpg Yes. I am Everard... Everard of Tempus, Battle-Priest of the Lord of Battles. What brings you here?

BRKVQ.jpg Accalia told me to ask you about "Jerrod's Stone." She said it has something to do with one of your holy days.

everard.jpg Jerrod was a shaman who lived long ago. He brought unity to the northern tribes and led them to victory against the army of Arakon... at the cost of his life.

BRKVQ.jpg How did he die?

everard.jpg Once Arakon saw his army routed by Jerrod and the northern tribes, he sought to bring the hells to his aid. Arakon opened a gate to the Lower Planes.

BRKVQ.jpg But... demons? Arakon would have been damning himself.

Mine were all accidents.

everard.jpg Arakon was an archMAGE. Storms moved at his word. Legions worshiped him as a god. Such men would rather damn themselves than admit defeat.

Well hey, now, just because he didn't want to lose the battle doesn't mean you have to get call CONDEMNY.

BRKVQ.jpg But if Arakon summoned demons to the battlefield - then the northern tribes would have been destroyed.

everard.jpg I do not believe that. Jerrod did. It is said that Tempus himself appeared to Jerrod upon the battlefield, and Jerrod took that as a sign.

BRKVQ.jpg A sign to do what?

everard.jpg Jerrod believed Tempus was calling him to sacrifice himself for his people to insure victory. And so he cast his body into the portal, his blood fusing it to stone. It lies beneath the temple to this day.

BRKVQ.jpg You don't sound like you agree with Jerrod's choice.

everard.jpg Jerrod had no *need* to sacrifice himself. Tempus' appearance was a test of faith, proof Jerrod's people had already won the field that day. Jerrod failed his god and died a *coward's* death.

BRKVQ.jpg Are you sure his death was in vain? Jerrod did seal the por-

everard.jpg One dies for Tempus with a BLADE in one's hand, not by martyring oneself within the embrace of infernal magics! Jerrod's DUTY was to stand with his comrades, not cast himself to his death when the field was already theirs!

BRKVQ.jpg His sacrifice may have prevented other deaths, Everard.

everard.jpg Sacrifice? Let me say of this "sacrifice," *young* one, then we shall speak of this no more. Sacrifice is a death that has meaning. When it is in vain, it is not sacrifice, it is a *waste.* *That* is the lesson of Jerrod's Stone.

I guess I can agree with that. I didn't want my companions to waste their lives fighting Sarevok with me. That's why I went in alone.

BRKVQ.jpg And this stone is buried beneath the temple?

everard.jpg Aye, a great stone disk that holds Jerrod's corpse or eternity. And so I watch and guard it, in Tempus' name.

BRKVQ.jpg I see. I had some other questions I wished to ask you.

everard.jpg You are free to ask, traveler. I promise no answers.

BRKVQ.jpg Do you know anything about the expedition that Hrothgar's putting together?

everard.jpg I have heard of it, yes. A messenger from Kuldahar visited the temple not long ago, and it has spurred Hrothgar to see what is happening in the North.

BRKVQ.jpg A messenger?

everard.jpg Yes. A man from Kuldahar found his way to our door, and he was dead by morning. He claimed he was a messenger from the Archdruid of Kuldahar.

BRKVQ.jpg What did he want?

everard.jpg The man spoke of... disturbances in Kuldahar. His wounds prevented me from making any sense of his words - perhaps Hrothgar understood more than I, for he's preparing an expedition.

BRKVQ.jpg Are you going on this expedition?

everard.jpg No, for my place is here. Were I invited, I would still not go - my injuries would only slow the expedition.

BRKVQ.jpg Your injuries... were you wounded in battle?

everard.jpg These eyes have seen battle, yes... and my skin bears the mark of swords and axes. That was long ago. Now my place is here.

BRKVQ.jpg Why would you leave battle behind?

everard.jpg Because there are *many* ways one may serve one's God. I am of the Order of the Broken Blade. My *duty* is to watch this place.

BRKVQ.jpg Order of the Broken Blade?

everard.jpg Yes. We are... were... warriors. Wounded in battle, our injuries now keep us far from the front lines. Still, we are fit to guard holy sites to our lord.

BRKVQ.jpg I must take my leave. Farewell.

I guess there's nothing else to do but go talk to Hrothgar. Hitch a ride with his expedition and get us out of this cold hole. Maybe earn a little more money.

So we go to his house to say hi.

BWP20140614040.jpg

Imoen finds some sweet loot though. 5 Arrows of Detonation!

BWP20140614043.jpg

A short bow +2!

BWP20140614044.jpg

Two scrolls of Protection from Undead!

BWP20140614045.jpg

And a book that we simply cannot identify.

BWP20140614046.jpg

Without Finch's glasses, I'm going to have to do something I haven't done in a long, long time. I'm going to have to memorize Identify. And looking through my first-level spells, I find another spell that I haven't cast in a very long time. I memorize that as well.

#1310 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 08:51 PM

Then we speak to Hrothgar.

BWP20140614047.jpg

Hrothgar.jpeg Ah, they're all remembrances of my adventuring days, little trinkets and the like that I picked up here and there. More keepsakes than valuables really, leftovers from my days of fortune and glory.

BRKVQ.jpg Adventuring days? So you are retired then?

Hrothgar.jpeg Semi-retired, actually. This region is still untamed and fraught with many dangers. I've had plenty of opportunities in the last few years to take up my axe and shield and do battle with those who threaten the safety of Easthaven and its neighbors.

Hrothgar.jpeg In fact, I'm planning such an expedition right now. That is what I wanted to speak to you about.

BRKVQ.jpg An expedition to where?

Hrothgar.jpeg We've received word from Kuldahar, our neighbors to the south, that evil forces are stirring nearby in the Spine of the World Mountains.

Hrothgar.jpeg I am organizing and leading a party from Easthaven south to Kuldahar Valley to investigate. You look to be capable enough, perhaps you would like to join us. What say you?

South is where I want to go!

BRKVQ.jpg Sounds exciting. Count us in.

Hrothgar.jpeg Excellent! Glad to have you onboard. I plan to assemble the rest of the expedition and set out for Kuldahar within a few days.

Hrothgar.jpeg With storms brewing in the mountains, I'd rather we depart sooner, but there are matters that require my attention here about town.

BRKVQ.jpg What sort of matters? Perhaps we could help?

Hrothgar.jpeg Actually, now that I think about it, maybe you *can* help. Pomab, the local shopkeeper, has recently expressed concern over the rapidly thinning stock of his store.

Hrothgar.jpeg He's been complaining that the regular caravan from Caer-Dinival is long overdue, and that if they don't arrive soon, he's sure to be out of business.

Hrothgar.jpeg Now normally, I take Pomab's whining with a grain of salt, but with heavy snows on the way, it would be best to make sure that caravan makes it through.

BRKVQ.jpg So what is it you want me to do?

Hrothgar.jpeg I want you to find that caravan. Leave town by way of the south bridge and scout the hills west of Lac Dinneshere - between Easthaven and Caer-Dinival. Caravans always stick close to the shoreline this time of year.

Hrothgar.jpeg Once you find it, see the caravan safely to Easthaven. In the meantime, I'll assemble the rest of the expedition and make the finals plans for our journey.

Hrothgar.jpeg Return here as quickly as you can. We must make for Kuldahar Pass while the weather is favorable. Good luck. Safe journey.

BRKVQ.jpg Farewell.

Shar-Teel-Firewalker.jpeg (*Sarcastically and to herself*) Yes sir, no sir... shove your axe where the sun doesn't shine for you sir! Yea gods why couldn't Bhaal have impregnated my mother? This one doesn't have the balls to be worthy of the name *Murder*!

That sounds like something that will be great to do... tomorrow!

BWP20140614048.jpg

Injbg.jpg

The next morning, I turn to that book we couldn't figure out yesterday. It is a Tome of Wisdom!

BWP20140614050.jpg

Gameplay note: +1 WIS! I wonder who should get this one...

Then, in the early predawn hours, I wander out by myself, and begin to cast that other spell I prepared.

BWP20140614052.jpg

My magic subsides, and sitting there, twitching its nose, is ... a rabbit! I brace for an explosion, but none comes. Tentatively, I try to talk to it.

BWP20140614053.jpg

BRKVQ.jpg (pet the familiar)

rabbit-familiar.jpg "Aahhhh..." The familiar half-closes its eyes with contentment, a pleased smile creeping across its face. "Yes, this is good. Food would also be nice."

BRKVQ.jpg You wouldn't happen to have any advice, would you?

rabbit-familiar.jpg The animal looks at you, fairly close to bewildered. "Me? I suppose I have thoughts that it would amuse me to share, but would even regard them, man?"

rabbit-familiar.jpg It looks about for several moments, watching various city animals and people. It finally turns back, almost startled. "What? Advice Ah... no. No advice."

I should give him a name.

We rest longer, until morning, then we are ready to head out.

BWP20140614055.jpg

Across the bridge, a boy is screaming for help!

BWP20140614056.jpg

damien-easthaven.jpg Monsters! A whole bunch of them. They came down to the shore while I was fishing. I dropped everything and ran when I saw them, but they didn't chase me. I thought they were going to eat me, but I guess they were just after my fish.

BRKVQ.jpg Where are these monsters now?

damien-easthaven.jpg Just over the bridge... down by the lake. My da told me not to fish so far out by myself, but I can't help it. That's where I catch the big ones. He's gonna kill me when he finds out I've lost today's catch. All because of those stupid monsters!

BRKVQ.jpg Don't worry... we'll deal with these thieving monsters and get you your fish back.

We see them soon. They're coming up the beach to meet us!

BWP20140614060.jpg

Goblins! How long has it been since I've killed goblins? We just kindof wait for them to come up the path, and then lay into them.

BWP20140614063.jpg

Two of the little buggers come after me. I strike one down with my staff.

BWP20140614064.jpg

Imoen shoots the other one off of me.

BWP20140614065.jpg

And while we're dealing with those, Shar-Teel finishes murderizing the best.

BWP20140614066.jpg

Most of them were wielding handaxes, a couple of shortswords, a couple of bows. One has a magic bow and magic arrows, and another is carrying a magical gem. oooh.

BWP20140614067.jpg

But first, one of the bottles that the lead goblin was carrying is... perfume?

BWP20140614068.jpg

Why would goblins be carrying perfume??

The gem isn't really magical, I just couldn't tell exactly what it was before. But it is an Andar Gem.

BWP20140614069.jpg

The arrows are Arrows of Biting.

BWP20140614070.jpg

And the bow is a Short Bow +1. Hmm, using a magical shortbow is better than these darts I have. I take it up, and some spare arrows from Imoen. It's better than nothing.

Gameplay note: I can use shortbows. I think it's because I'm an elf.

The lead goblin was also carrying knucklehead trout!

BWP20140614071.jpg

Time to make a little boy happy.

BWP20140614072.jpg

damien-easthaven.jpg Thanks. I'd best be getting home now. My da's probably worrying about me.

We go back to Pomab's to sell all this loot, and Imoen puts a dab of perfume on before she talks to him. Good idea!

BWP20140614073.jpg

We have 115 gold to set out with. Not bad, not bad. Time to go save a caravan or whatever.

#1311 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 08:52 PM

BWP20140614074.jpg

The glare from the snow is getting to my eyes. Maybe it would be better to do this at night. But it gets so cold then.

BWP20140614075.jpg

We make our way through the pass, and we see something strange - 3 winter wolves attacking 1 lone defender. We rush to help out.

BWP20140614077.jpg

Turns out its 5 winter wolves, not 3, but they fall to arrows and Shar-Teel's sword. The survivor gives us his attention.

BWP20140614079.jpg

Dar.jpeg Anywhere that I will eventually be able to find peace and call home. Anywhere I'm not shunned or hunted for what I am. You don't appear to harbor the prejudices that I have come to expect from your people. You would certainly have let the wolves have me if you did.

BRKVQ.jpg I have been raised to judge a being by their actions, not by their faces or the unfortunate circumstances that bring them into this world. You have the speech of a civilized being and I shall treat you as such until you prove to me different.

Dar.jpeg Then perhaps you will allow me to travel with you a while, for surely there is safety in numbers? I have a strong arm and have never been known to flinch from using it when needed.

BRKVQ.jpg A strong arm is always of use Dar. I cannot say where our present road will take us, but if you have the courage to follow such an uncertain road, then join with us.

Dar.jpeg My friend, life itself is an uncertain road and holds no fear for me. Nor shall this road of yours.

Shar-Teel-Firewalker.jpeg By the nine hells! What is Syvishtar doing!

Shar-Teel-Firewalker.jpeg Bringing yet another pathetic male into the group for us to babysit!

Gameplay note: Dar is a Lawful Good Fighter/Priest of Ilmater.

BWP20140614081.jpg

Gameplay note: A Priest of Ilmater is not listed at character creation so I can only assume it is again an custom class built for this mod. He can cast up to 5th level spells, which makes him the single most powerful cleric we have ever met. He also has a number of abilities on his abilities tab that are unfamiliar to me, so lets dissect them.

BWP20140614082.png

Gameplay note: The first one, Hand of Ilmater, is unique that I've seen. And the frustrating thing about special abilities on your special ability bar is that there is no way to see the description of what it does unless you have Shadowkeeper, a 3rd-party program. Good thing I do!

F1.png
The Hand of Ilmater does 1d6 base damage and is treated as if the caster is a grand master. The Hand of Ilmater is treated as a regular weapon at levels 1-5, +1 at levels 6-10, +2 at 11-15, +3 at 16-20, +4 at 21-25, and +5 at levels 25 and above. The Hand of Ilmater lasts for one round per level of the caster, up to 20 rounds.

Gameplay note: So right now it is a +1 weapon in which Dar has grandmastery that lasts for 9 rounds. Nice.

F2.png

Gameplay note: This works the same as the spell. If you're diseased, it cures it.

F3.png

Gameplay note: Same here. Its exactly the same as the spell.

F4.png

Gameplay note: Here too.

F5.png

Gameplay note: This is a standard lightning bolt spell. I wonder, though, why a Priest of Ilmater would have one. Ilmater is known for taking pain, not dishing it out.

F6.png

Gameplay note: This is not actually standard Lay on Hands, but a copy of the Cure Light Wounds spell. Here is the exact text of the description:
Cure Light Wounds (Necromancy)
Level: 1
Sphere: Healing
Range: Touch
Duration: Permanent
Casting Time: 5
Area of Effect: Creature touched
Saving Throw: None

When casting this spell, and laying his hand upon a creature, the priest causes 8 points of wound or other injury damage to the creature's body to be healed. This healing cannot affect creatures without corporeal bodies, nor can it cure wounds of creatures not living or of extraplanar origin.
Curing is permanent only insofar as the creature does not sustain further damage; caused wounds will heal - or can be cured - just as any normal injury.

F7.png

Gameplay note: This is the other really unique ability. Let me quote the description:
Endurance of Ilmater (Necromancy)
Sphere: Protection
Range: Touch
Duration: 1 round + 1 round/level
Casting Time: 7
Area of effect: One creature
Saving Throw: None

This spell doubles the hit points of the spell recipient for the spell duration. Any damage suffered is taken first from these phantom hit points until they are all exhausted; damage is then taken from the real hit points of the affected being.

All saving throws receive a +2 bonus. In addition, no being protected by Endurance of Ilmater can be knocked over, trampled, ridden down, or overthrown; all protected beings can stand firm against all charges.

Gameplay note: Doubling hit points! For 10 rounds! That's huge! But that's not the only huge thing. Dar's equipment is no laughing matter either. He's wearing the Plate Mail +3: 'Ilmater's Blessing'. For a shield he has the Large Shield +3: 'Blessed with Ilmater's Tears'. And his weapon is a Flail +2.

BWP20140614091.jpg

Gameplay note: Electrical energy heals Dar. ELECTRICAL ENERGY HEALS DAR! And he can call lightning and throw lightning twice a day through this armor, plus another time through his special ability. Wow.

BWP20140614093.jpg

BWP20140614094.jpg

Gameplay note: Finally, Dar has access to clerical prayers of the fifth circle, or as DnD calls it, level 5 cleric spells. In addition, the reinstall of the game has changed up the cleric spell list a bit. I'll go through and point out new spells each level from 1st to 4th, and then show all the level 5 spells. The first new spell I find is at level 3.

BWP20140614095.jpg

Gameplay note: We sure could have used this before. An anti-confusion spell at level 3! Our fights against mages could have gone much differently. The next new spell is at level 4.

BWP20140614097.jpg

Gameplay note: So with Prayer then Recitation we could have +3 to us and -3 to our enemies. That's pretty good, no joke. Then, finally, Dar has access to the fabled level 5 spells, which we have never seen before because we have been switching out clerics too much.

Cure-Mortal-Wounds0.jpg

Gameplay note: Next-level heal spell. Always handy.

Flame-Strike.jpg

Gameplay note: You know, I have never noticed that part about a caster not being harmed by his own Flame Strike before. Maybe I should do more PB Flame Strikes.

Greater-Command.jpg

Gameplay note: You can give them Commands, but the only command that works in-game is "sleep."

Impregnable-Mind.jpg

Gameplay note: Ooooh, an anti-hold-person spell. I think this is new, I don't remember it.

Magic-Resistance.jpg

Gameplay note: So Dar would confer 18% magic resistance as things stand now.

Mass-Cure1.jpg

Gameplay note: This is when healing spells start getting cool. Mass Cure!

Pixie-Dust0.jpg

Gameplay note: 24 hour group invisibility. Nice!

Raise-Dead2.jpg

Gameplay note: A game-changer. A rule-changer. This spell is going to significantly alter the experience of this Let's Play more than any other. We are going to have to figure out how to deal with this spell.

Righteous-Fury.jpg

Gameplay note: 9 rounds of melee ass-kicking. Not to be discounted.

Righteous-Wrath-of-the-Faithful.jpg

Gameplay note: Full-party melee ass-kicking, especially if we're all of the same alignment. Whoopeee!

Shield-of-Lathander0.jpg

Gameplay note: Uhh, straight up immune to damage for 2 rounds. That sounds powerful. Go up against a dragon and cast that!

True-Seeing1.jpg

Gameplay note: This is the get-rid-of-mages spell. Well, that and Dispel Magic. I think this spell has been altered from its original by putting in that immunity to magical blindness, which is a nice touch I think.

Undead-Ward.jpg

Gameplay note: I think this is a mod-added spell too. A stationary undead turning spell. Interesting. I think we might get a lot of good use out of this one.

We've got something to vote on this time, too. Who gets the Tome of Understanding, +1 WIS? You can pretty much vote for anyone, and I'll give it to them and/or save it until we see them again.

#1312 Zarrk

Zarrk
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 01:56 AM

Keeping the Tome is something the Monk would do but not Syvishtar. Give the Tome to Dar (one more lv4 spell right now).

Also 21 CON?, Illmater's initiation must be really painful (reminder: an half-orc is capped to 19 CON at creation)

Descriptions about Neverending Journey customs classes are found in NeJ-readme.txt.

PRIEST OF ILMATER: This kit was created especially for Dar. Ilmater, also known as the Crying God, is the god of suffering and perserverance. Taught that enduring the suffering of others is the greatest act of sacrifice, Painbearers of Ilmater can be found wherever the weak are oppressed. Painbearers are known for their charity, humility, and their unshaking faith during even the most trying of circumstances.

*Dar spent several years dwelling in mountains in a highland monastery where he gained special training in martial and spiritual curative arts.

Abilities:

- 'Hand of Ilmater' (thrice per day), fist attack which does 1d6 base damage and is treated as if the caster is a grand master. The Hand of Ilmater is treated as a regular weapon at levels 1-5, +1 at levels 6-10, +2 at 11-15, +3 at 16-20, +4 at 21-25, and +5 at levels 25 and above. The Hand of Ilmater lasts for one round per level of the caster, up to 20 rounds.
- 'Ilmater's Endurance' (once per day), doubles the hit points of the spell recipient for the spell duration. Any damage suffered is taken first from these phantom hit points until they are all exhausted; damage is then taken from the real hit points of the affected being. All saving throws receive a +2 bonus. In addition, no being protected by 'Ilmater's Endurance' can be knocked over, trampled, ridden down, or overthrown; all protected beings can stand firm against all charges.
- Lay on Hands to heal 2 hit points per level (at 7th, 15th, 21th and 27th level)
- Immunity to all diseases.
- Cure disease (at 3th, 12th, 21th, and 30th level)
- Neutralize poison (at 5th, 12th, 21th, and 27th level)
- Remove curse (at 6th, 12th and 18th level)
- Remove paralysis (at 6th, 12th and 18th level)
- Lesser restoration (at 10th and 20th level)
- Mass cure (at 14th and 24th level)
- Heal (at 15th and 22th level).

#1313 hook71

hook71
  • 280 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 02:02 PM

The tome is for Syvishtar as usual.

#1314 Lurker of the north

Lurker of the north

Permanently temporary

• 97 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 04:03 PM

The tome is for Syvishtar as usual.

+1

Jope... boring but true. Protagonist takes all!

LotN

#1315 Sergio

Sergio
  • 954 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 02:40 PM

Hey Syvishtar,
I know I shouldn't probably be asking, but how do you manage to copy all these text dialogues?
And all these screenshot, do you do them with fraps?

Low hung brow, dazed look on your face..... It appears that you are correct, my friend. You are indeed a complete imbecile.

#1316 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 10:40 PM

There's no harm in asking. I am using Ubuntu as an operating system, so fraps is out. I use an Ubuntu-based screenshot-taking program called Shutter. I run BWP in a virtual machine as a window on my desktop. I have set up CTRL as the escape key for the virtual machine, and SHIFT-CTRL-S as the screenshot taking key, so I just press CTRL SHIFT-CTRL-S and a screenshot is taken. 

I take screenshots of the text as well and then run optical character recognition on the screens, which dumps that to a text file. then I copy/paste the text file to my text editor where I assemble each post.

#1317 Sergio

Sergio
  • 954 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 12:23 AM

Thanks for telling me your secrets! Where can I find an optical character recognition tool for windows? Do you think it exists?

Edited by Sergio, 18 June 2014 - 02:48 PM.

Low hung brow, dazed look on your face..... It appears that you are correct, my friend. You are indeed a complete imbecile.

#1318 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 09:16 PM

I'd only be able to do a google search, same as you. Good luck!

#1319 Sergio

Sergio
  • 954 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 11:55 PM

kk - what about the little images you always have on the left when characters speak? Is your OCR leaving them intact? ;)

#1320 Almateria

Almateria

most garbage person

• Modder
  • 969 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 11:14 PM

SA is alive again, where's the update