Syvishtar's Journal

• Please log in to reply
1504 replies to this topic

#1321 Galan

Galan
  • 28 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 02:46 PM

Hey,

I'm still working through this LP but wanted to commend you!

can't believe how much time this had to take...

great job!

stats.png
ZhEEZ.jpg

XhduJ.jpg I am not sure I am truly convinced in the efficiency of that sword. Be there a blade between us or not, you would not be safe from my embrace. But I have heard of a ranger who used a dire wolf for that purpose. That might be more efficient.

mkTry.jpg Sounds like a thing Kivan would do, if some lady imagined she could replace his dear Deheriana. It would be a hamster in Minsc's case, I guess.

XhduJ.jpg The name of the ranger in question was Jon. But do you imply 'tis a typical demeanor for rangers?

ASoIaF reference, i guess?

Edited by Galan, 29 June 2014 - 02:59 PM.

#1322 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 10:18 PM

yes, that's a ASoIaF reference.
kk - what about the little images you always have on the left when characters speak? Is your OCR leaving them intact? ;)

No, I have to cut and paste those in from the list of characters I have in another text file.
The Monk is always out to keep a wild mage down. But the Weave, she speaks to me. Together we work our collective will on this brittle, cracking world.
Playing the Big World Project Let's Play both here and on the Something Awful forums.

#1323 Sergio

Sergio
  • 954 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 06:08 AM

Thanks. I'm looking forward to an update :)

Low hung brow, dazed look on your face..... It appears that you are correct, my friend. You are indeed a complete imbecile.

#1324 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 08:07 AM

BWP20140702001.jpg

?? ????, ????

Ok, new plan: hide behind the warrior-priest at all times.

I formulated this new plan after studying the book that was in my inventory.

BWP20140702002.jpg

Which for some reason disappeared after I read it.

BWP20140702003.jpg

But nevertheless I am convinced that Dar the half-orc warrior-priest should go first. So, onwards! Onwards into the dark cave that is ominously yawning next to a bunch of wooden wagons that are inexpicably empty and abandoned in the snow.

BWP20140702004.jpg

As soon as we enter the cave we see them. Orcs! Orcs with a C!

BWP20140702005.jpg

Dar charges into their ranks. I fire off a few arrows. The orc I'm shooting at shouts at me for doing so!

BWP20140702006.jpg

Gameplay note: This is part of Sword Coast Stratagems II, I believe. The AI has identified me as a ranged weapons user and will try to close to melee. Great.

The orcs charge past Dar and attack us standing in the back. Well, they attack Imoen. That's... that's practically cheating! Imoen pops Mirror Image to protect herself.

BWP20140702007.jpg

Another orc smashes me in the chest with a mighty blow, right before my own Mirror Image goes off. More orcs appear from deeper in the cave, too!

BWP20140702008.jpg

This is no simple fight. Orcs are everywhere! We need help!

Imoen and I both come to the same conclusion and cast the same spell (almost). She calls an air elemental to her side, while I do the same for fire. They come, but... they also resist us! We are both locked into a fierce mental battle for control of our respective elementals. Shit!

BWP20140702009.jpg

Gameplay note: I guess the reinstall fixed elemental summoning to include the mental battle thing. Great!

Shar-Teel and Dar kill an orc each, but Imoen and I are defenseless. The orcs focused on us break through our mirror images and injure us both badly!

BWP20140702010.jpg

Shar-Teel kills an orc archer, as Imoen finally brings her elemental under control, despite her injuries!

BWP20140702011.jpg

I manage to subjugate my own elemental as Imoen casts Stoneskin. Her elemental rushes into battle.

BWP20140702012.jpg

I follow her lead as my elemental follows her own elemental's lead. This is intense!

BWP20140702013.jpg

Shar-Teel obliterates another orc, while Imoen and I retreat to the cave entrance.

BWP20140702014.jpg

The party of melee combatants rushes after the last orc while Imoen and I try to recover.

BWP20140702015.jpg

Well, now I feel an obligation to keep going. We fought a hard mental battle for these elementals, can't waste them!

But before we do, I conduct a little alchemy experiment with the surrounding materials.

BWP20140702016.jpg

I get... a Rogue's Potion of Frost Giant Strength.

BWP20140702017.jpg

So, for Imoen then. Okay. I ask the half-orc for healing, but he apparently needs to rest before casting more spells, and we can't rest here. So I guess we just have to power through.

Wait, the corpses! I search them for some healing potions. I don't find any, unfortunately, but I do find a longbow and some magical berries. Gooseberries! I take a closer look.

BWP20140702018.jpg

Well, its worth a shot. I try it.

BWP20140702020.jpg

I feel a little less tired, but no tougher. Oh well. I give the longbow to Shar-Teel and we move deeper into the cave.

We find another lone orc. Dar and company rushes him while Imoen and I pelt him with arrows. Again he shows a remarkable understanding of tactics.

BWP20140702021.jpg

I am deeply disturbed by this new-found tactical orc tribe. Imagine what they could do to a small town like Easthaven with battlefield awareness!

The Monk is always out to keep a wild mage down. But the Weave, she speaks to me. Together we work our collective will on this brittle, cracking world.
Playing the Big World Project Let's Play both here and on the Something Awful forums.

#1325 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 08:08 AM

We manage to take him out, though.

BWP20140702022.jpg

My little bunny Geddon is still by my side, watching my back. He comforts me.

Around the next corner is a strike team of orcs backed up by an orog. Uh oh, he's in the leader position, center back. I eye him warily.

BWP20140702023.jpg

After a moment I realize I'm eyeing ten targets. 8 orcs, 1 orog, and an ogre mage!

BWP20140702024.jpg

Shar-Teel begins waving her arms around in a ridiculous imitation of spellcasting. Now is no time for jokes, woman! Stick to your sword! I think frantically about the spells I have left. Fireball? no. Stinking Cloud? No. Sleep? No. Entangle? Not a cleric. What the hell am I going to ...

...a Fireball flies from Shar-Teel's fingertips and incinerates the entire room.

BWP20140702025.jpg

Wha..? How...? Was tha....?

WHAT THE BLOODY HELL!!

I quickly back up her excellent tactical Fireball with some Melf's Explosive Meteors of my own.

But my first throw is too close, and Shar-Teel is caught in the flames!

BWP20140702026.jpg

I ... forgot they could do that. But I've got 5 of these babies and I'm not gonna waste 'em!

BOOM!

BWP20140702027.jpg

KABLAM! (what's that pain in my heart?)

BWP20140703001.jpg

KRAKOW! (why am I falling to the ground?)

BWP20140703002.jpg

Imoen disppears in a flash of illusion. And then the entire room is on Dar.

BWP20140703003.jpg

But Dar... Dar is on a mission. A mission to kill archers.

BWP20140703004.jpg

Dar stops and casts a lightning-fast spell. As my fire elemental disappears, Dar asks his God for His blessing.

BWP20140703005.jpg

And He delivers.

BWP20140703006.jpg

OH BOY does He deliver!

After a dramatic pause, Dar obliterates the archer next to him.

BWP20140703007.jpg

He was almost dead anyways. Cuz of me. I softened him up.

Dar is surrounded. Upon all sides his enemies assail him. But from the midst of them, I hear a small prayer. A whisper, actually. But it is a whisper that is answered.

BWP20140703008.jpg

HOLY FUCK!

Gameplay note: HOLY FUCK! I have GOT to check the combat log of that strike.

BWP20140703009.jpg

Gameplay note: WHAT THE TITS! This ain't your neighborhood druid spell.

As if that wasn't enough, he does it again, and then strikes the nearby Ogre Mage with a lightning bolt as well.

BWP20140703014.jpg

Then he lays about with his flail.

BWP20140703015.jpg

Except when it's time to attack someone from far away, in which case he throws another Lightning Bolt again.

BWP20140703016.jpg

Imoen decides to get back into the fight, and conjures a lesser fire elemental.

BWP20140703017.jpg

Again it fights her for control.

BWP20140703018.jpg

Back in the fight, Dar seems to be almost dead.

BWP20140703019.jpg

Gameplay note: But he still has more hit points left than Imoen does total.

#1326 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 08:08 AM

Another lightning bolt from him flies out.

BWP20140703020.jpg

He takes out another orc with his flail. But he is looking quite injured.

BWP20140703021.jpg

He makes a tactical retreat past Imoen's elemental just as it comes under her control. Perfect!

BWP20140703022.jpg

Shockingly enough, Dar seems almost dead! Imoen shouts at him to run away.

BWP20140703024.jpg

She tries to cast a charm spell, but she is overrun.

BWP20140703025.jpg

Her elemental seems to be doing a perfectly fine job of mopping up, though.

BWP20140703026.jpg

He seems to be setting everyone on fire.

BWP20140703027.jpg

But, finally, one lucky archer manages to take him out.

BWP20140703028.jpg

So this is a disaster. Only Dar remains, and he has only 6 hit points. Then the half-orc does something strange. He goes outside. It is raining.

BWP20140703029.jpg

Gameplay note: I got a strange, new power on Dar's power bar that says "Call 1 bolt of lightning." I tried to use it in the cave, but it said spell failed - indoors. So I went outside and tried again.

He seems a little stronger. Not much, but a little.

Then he just stands there, in the rain, looking up, the water cascading down his platemailed form. Eventually, he does it again.

BWP20140703030.jpg

Gameplay note: I don't know why these abilities keep showing up. Is it because it's raining?

He calls down another bolt of lightning to strike himself.

BWP20140703031.jpg

Then he goes back inside. All of the orcs are near the cave entrance, waiting for him.

BWP20140703032.jpg

He runs past them and into the corridor of corpses, looking for something to end this fight. He finds it on Imoen's body.

BWP20140703033.jpg

He goes back around the corner and lets loose an arrow!

BWP20140703034.jpg

He retreats and tries again with a normal arrow. They're too close, too fast!

BWP20140703036.jpg

He abandons the bow and returns to the flail.

BWP20140703037.jpg

He kills one pursuer, then runs away again. He is slightly faster than the following orcs, so when he gets sufficient distance away, he switches back to the bow and fires again.

KABOOM!

BWP20140703038.jpg

There is one orc left. Dar fires the remaining Arrow of Detonation, but it doesn't hit. So as the orc closes in, he goes back to flail-and-shield one more time. It works.

BWP20140703039.jpg

Dar looks around, sees the carnage around him, and drops to the ground. He falls asleep almost immediately.

Gameplay note: You may notice that Syvishtar has fallen but the game is not over. Another mod! He's been turned purple-lined, which is usually reserved for uncontrollable party members during dream sequences. The mod keeps the protagonist alive at 1 hit point, but fallen to the ground, technically not ending the game and allowing the other party members time to rescue him. Neat, eh? My whole emo survivor guilt schtick has been completely eliminated!

Edited by Usurper, 02 July 2014 - 08:10 AM.

#1327 Zarrk

Zarrk
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 02:45 AM

What a difference of power between our "formidable mate" and our new friend. One always raving about her superiority over male and getting burned to a crisp by a little friendly fire despite her new fireproof abilities and the other one butchering an orcish warband nearly by himself.

(about numbers; maybe it's my min-maxer side but Shar-Tell HP are way too low for a melee fighter and her kit is difficult to use before Lv12.)

Dar is a monster, it was obvious from his stats but I am still shocked by what I saw, one prayer to Ilmater and he's nearly a demigod, I'm beginnig to think he's in fact the offspring of an orc and a polymorphed brass dragon, that would explain the lightning powers which doesn't really fit Ilmater)

#1328 -serialk-

-serialk-

Posted 03 July 2014 - 10:16 AM

Now Dar is the one of the few persons who have truly saved Syvishtar´s life. Probably makes the protagonist respect Ilmater, maybe even put a bit of goodness to his heart. An orc fighting orcs to save a moon elven ass? That´s not something that happens every day.

#1329 Iasnek

Iasnek
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 01:10 AM

Hey!  Just got caught up on reading your Let's Play.  Just wanted to let you know you're still attracting new readers.  Looking forward to becoming one of the voices in Syvishtar's head.

#1330 Sergio

Sergio
  • 954 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 03:08 PM

from which mod does Dar comes?

Thanks for the new post! ;)

Low hung brow, dazed look on your face..... It appears that you are correct, my friend. You are indeed a complete imbecile.

#1331 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 08:02 PM

Dar is a part of the Neverending Journey 2 mod. We're running around inside it right now. I think that's the only place he shows up.

#1332 Sergio

Sergio
  • 954 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 12:43 AM

Dar is a part of the Neverending Journey 2 mod. We're running around inside it right now. I think that's the only place he shows up.

ty!

#1333 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 05:30 PM

BWP20140720039.jpg

?? ????, ????

Gameplay note: Turns out the mod that allows the main character to die was bugged after all, and saving at this point screwed it up. I had to replay the entire cave up to this point. But I made sure to still get rid of all of the Arrows of Detonation and re-kill the familiar, because that's how we roll in this Let's Play.

Somehow Dar got us all outside, rested, and raised from the dead. After a good night's sleep, we return to the caves and clear out the side passages.

BWP20140720003.jpg

There isn't much remaining resistance. There are, however, some good loots.

BWP20140720004.jpg

We take everything. Even the strange potions of healing that just make you drunk.

BWP20140720005.jpg

We stuff it all into the Bag of Holding. I don't want to be poor anymore. It is during this time that I turn to consult with my familiar about a gem, when I realize it is gone.

BWP20140720007.jpg

Ouch! The hole in my soul!

Gameplay note: I'm down to 15 CON because my familiar died. I started out with 17 CON but two familiars have died, giving me -1 CON each time. Life leaves marks on us all...

We find the supply crates from the wagons, too.

BWP20140720008.jpg

I find a Horror scroll, something that Imoen hasn't memorized up until now. I try to get her to memorize it, but she just can't.

BWP20140720009.jpg

Gameplay note: My font mod screwed up this message. What it is supposed to say is "You have learned the maximum number of spells at this level for your intelligence." We're going to have to boost Imoen's INT if we want her to be a better mage!

She seems to be limited in her intelligence, at least compared to me. It concerns me. There has got to be something I can do about this.

Then, with bad news, we return to town to sleep until morning.

BWP20140720011.jpg

Then it's off to Pomab's Emporium to unload all our loots!

BWP20140720013.jpg

We end up selling:

* 5 Winter Wolf pelts
* 6 Tiger's Eye gems
* 1 Star Diopsode gem
* 2 Iol gems
* 29 Battle Axes
* 42 Leather Armors
* 5 Moonstone Gems
* 11 Helmets
* 2 Greenstone rings
* 10 Short Swords
* 1 Fire Agate gem
* 3 Silver Necklaces
* 9 Long Bows
* 2 Bloodstone Gems
* 1 Waterstar Gem
* 3 Morning Stars
* 4 Turquoise Gems
* 5 Silver Rings
* 2 Snowflake Obsidians
* 2 Bastard Swords
* 1 Tiger Cowrie Shell Necklace
* 1 Lynx Eye Gem
* 3 Two-handed Swords
* 1 Zircon gem

He wouldn't accept any of the fake healing potions. A pity. We end up with a total of 869 gold for this!

Now to tell that self-important guy about the fate of his goods' shipment.

BWP20140720014.jpg

Hrothgar.jpeg Hmm... strange. It is not usual for orcs to be so brazen as to attack caravans so close to town. I wonder if it is the anticipation of the coming winter that is driving their actions, or if it is something more.

Hrothgar.jpeg In any case, at least we can still retrieve the supplies, thanks to you. You've proven yourself to be quite capable... I'm glad you've decided to come along with us to Kuldahar.

BRKVQ.jpg Thank you. When do we leave?

Hrothgar.jpeg We still have preparations to make before we can depart for Kuldahar. Take this list of supplies to Pomab's Emporium across town.

Hrothgar.jpeg While you're there you might outfit yourselves with whatever gear you think you may need. Return here when you are packed and ready to go.

Hrothgar.jpeg And please talk to Accalia. She is an initiate at the temple of Tempus. I have recently spoken with her. She is willing to join our expedition.

BRKVQ.jpg Very well. I shall return shortly.

On the way back over to Pomab's, I take a look at the supply list Hrothgar gave me.

BWP20140720015.jpg

Then we go over there.

BWP20140720017.jpg

pomab.jpg Very well, give it here. Now, be on your way. The expedition will be departing shortly. It would be a shame if they left without you.

I end up buying 3 healing potions, and a sling with bullets for Dar. Can't go without ranged weapons for anyone in the party, not even the tank cleric.

We also stop by the temple again...

BWP20140720018.jpg

And talk to Accalia, like Hrothgar said we should.

BWP20140720019.jpg

Accalia.jpeg Yes, I have already discussed this matter with Everard. He also thinks that my faith should be proven with my deeds. So would you like me to join your group?

BRKVQ.jpg Yes, you're welcome among us.

Accalia.jpeg Thank you, Syvishtar. I shall try to do my best.

And the Golden Company grows again, to a grand total of 5 members!

Gameplay note: Previously, Dar was the most powerful cleric we had ever encountered, with 9 levels in clericness (and another 9 in fighterness). But Accalia blows him away with 10, count em, TEN full levels of cleric.

BWP20140720020.jpg

Gameplay note: She's also a special kind of cleric.

BWP20140720032.jpg

Gameplay note: I think whoever designed this mod really liked clerics. She also has some different spells from Dar, starting at 3rd level.

Cause-Disease0.jpg

Gameplay note: She can cast this because she's a neutral cleric, unlike Dar.

Cause-Medium-Wounds0.jpg

Gameplay note: Strangely enough Dar has the 2nd level version, Cause Moderate Wounds, but only Accalia has this one.

Unholy-Blight0.jpg

Gameplay note: Accalia also has Holy Smite, the good-aligned version of this spell. She is versatile. She has unique level 4 spells too.

Blood-Rage.jpg

Gameplay note: Wow, this is an extreme form of berserk. You can't even see the hit points of characters, and the 3 STR penalty afterwards? Harsh. Looking forward to casting it, though.

BWP20140720021.jpg

Gameplay note: Just your standard evil or neutral cleric spell. No biggie. And also, at level 5, she's got the more powerful version.

#1334 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 05:32 PM

BWP20140720038.jpg

Gameplay note: I noticed that the spell name in the title and the spell name in the description are sliiiightly different. Must be a mod. She's got pretty acceptable equipment, a Chainmail +2 and a Rift Hammer +2.

BWP20140720023.jpg

BWP20140720024.jpg

I'm pretty confident in our chances now that we have two high-level clerics in our party. Time to get this expedition on the road!

BWP20140720027.jpg

Hrothgar.jpeg Would you like me to join your party or shall we go separately?

BRKVQ.jpg Hrothgar, you are always welcome among us.

Hrothgar.jpeg Thank you, my friend.

Hrothgar.jpeg But before we continue I would like to ask you a question Syvishtar. Pomab came to me with a story of how you entered his store by way of the stairs from his living quarters.

Hrothgar.jpeg He was most alarmed and thought I should know, seeing as how I had asked you to join this expedition of mine. He swears you did not walk past him in his shop.

Hrothgar.jpeg Because I needed volunteers and you seemed keen to help, I never thought to question your arrival in Easthaven. However...

Hrothgar.jpeg ... and please do not take this as a sign that I do not trust you, but visitors are indeed rare this time of year, so I would appreciate you telling me just how you came to be in my town?

BRKVQ.jpg I doubt you would believe me if I told you Hrothgar.

Hrothgar.jpeg I have seen many strange and wondrous things on my travels Syvishtar. I have learnt not to dismiss a tale because it sounds impossible. There is much in the world that *is*, but we have no idea why or how it can be, it just... well, *is*.

BRKVQ.jpg What do you know of portals, Hrothgar? Portals that carry a person from one place to another, regardless of distance?

Hrothgar.jpeg I have heard of such portals, often used by beings from other planes to access this one. There is also the gating that wizards use when they bring forth demons, though, not quite the same, it is still a portal of sorts. Might I know from where this portal brought you?

BRKVQ.jpg Where is not as important as when we entered the portal, the year was 1369. You, Hrothgar, are known to me, but only in legend, a hero of The Realms, if legend is to be believed.

Hrothgar.jpeg (*laughs loudly*)... Legend you say? Well, it is nice to know one is remembered after their passing. 1369 you say then you ... no, I must not ask and you must not tell me. There is more at stake than knowing one's future. Fate must be allowed to play her hand. But tell me instead of the creation of such artifacts as this portal?

BRKVQ.jpg You show little surprise at my words. I find that strange, maybe I should worry that you already know how we come to be here and why?

Hrothgar.jpeg You have no need to fear me, Syvishtar. I have no more understanding than you as to why you are here. My surprise is overshadowed by my awe that marvels such as this portal you speak of will come into being in the future. I can only wonder at the genius it takes to create such artifacts.

BRKVQ.jpg Irenicus's mind was not so much genius as insane! You see Hrothgar, we were fleeing the torture and imprisonment of this wizard when we happened upon his portal.

Hrothgar.jpeg I do not understand? You say this Irenicus held you captive, that he tortured and abused you, but what reason could he have to treat you so barbarically, Syvishtar?

BRKVQ.jpg That is something I intend to ask him when I catch up with him, and not too politely either!

Hrothgar.jpeg If that is so, then you were lucky to find the portal and make good your escape before this Irenicus discovered you gone. What I cannot understand is why the portal led you to Easthaven and why this particular time?

BRKVQ.jpg A mystery to me also, and one I may never know the answer to, because the portal closed immediately after our arrival.

Hrothgar.jpeg I shudder when I imagine what you have suffered Syvishtar, at what you have all suffered, but let us give thanks to the gods that your ordeal is over and that they grant you a lighter road to walk. Come, let us concentrate on the task ahead and speak no more of that place.

I'm right, I do remember now. Hrothgar, Easthaven, Kuldahar, Icewind Dale... It's all coming back to me now. Hrothgar was the Hero of Easthaven, who drove back ... something? And helped... someone? I think there was an oak tree involved. I remember being especially distracted that day. There was a new girl in history class, named Evelyn... yeah.

I do remember the dates, though. Hrothgar saved everyone in the Year of the Cold Soul. I remember thinking that every year was probably called the Year of the Cold Soul up in Icewind Dale. But I remember the date still, 1281. Don't ask me why.

Well, I guess its all okay that I spaced out in that history class, because now I've got a front-row seat to these historical events! It is 10 Mirtul, 1281, the Year of the Cold Soul, 89 years and 6 months BEFORE I kill Sarevok in the catacombs beneath Baldur's Gate, almost to the day.

Wow. Irenicus really doesn't fuck around, does he?

After those quick calculations, we are ready. We set out on our trip to Kuldahar, never suspecting what lies in store for us.

BWP20140720029.jpg

Imoen-bg2.jpeg That was scary!!!

Accalia.jpeg Thank Tempus we are safe, but it saddens me so few of us made it through.

An unkempt old man stares at us as we walk up.

BWP20140720031.jpg

hermit.jpg I know. I saw the whole thing. I was dozing off in my cave over yonder when I felt the ground begin to shake and heard a rumble something fierce. I stumbled outside just in time to see the avalanche come crashing down.

hermit.jpg It's a good thing you ran forward instead of back into the pass like the others. Poor bastards. One thing's for sure... I'm not digging their bodies out from under there. They'll have to wait 'til the snows melt to receive a proper burial.

BRKVQ.jpg We're touched by your concern for our fallen comrades. Do you, by any chance, know the way to Kuldahar?

hermit.jpg Kuldahar? Why would you want to go to that miserable little berg? Nothing there but a big tree and a bunch of shacks and lean-tos. It's an eyesore, if you ask me.

BRKVQ.jpg There has been word that some sort of trouble has befallen the town. We've come to lend whatever aid we can.

hermit.jpg Humph. A fool's errand. You'd be better off worrying about yourselves and leaving them *townsfolk* to deal with their own problems.

BRKVQ.jpg We appreciate the advice. Now, do you know the way or not?

hermit.jpg I suppose it wouldn't hurt to point you in the right direction. Follow this trail east through the valley. Kuldahar lies just beyond the old mill.

hermit.jpg But you'd do well to keep your guard up. There are goblins everywhere between here and town. Filthy little buggers... ever since them townsfolk abandoned their farmsteads, they've been crawling all over the valley like they own the place.

hermit.jpg Thanks for your help. Farewell.

Gameplay note: I want to take a look at Hrothgar, now that we have him in our party too. Turns out he's also got a custom class. He's a Moon Knight.

BWP20140721001.jpg

BWP20140721002.jpg

Gameplay note: So, bad point - he's a paladin. But good point - he refuses to see actions as either good or evil. I think I can work with this. He's also got Full Plate Mail +1 on, and a special axe.

BWP20140721007.jpg

BWP20140721005.jpg

I feel well-protected now, with all this good equipment on all these good meatshields. I think we're going to make it! In order to make sure we make it, I tell Shar-Teel to use a bow.

BWP20140721008.jpg

Three ranged attackers in back, 3 melee fighters in front, and the two in the middle row are clerics. I couldn't ask for a better tactical setup. Let's DO DIS!

We find goblins just across the bridge.

BWP20140721009.jpg

It's pretty much a turkey shoot.

BWP20140721010.jpg

A little down the path and we meet some more mean-looking goblins.

BWP20140721011.jpg

But Shar-Teel takes care of them.

BWP20140721012.jpg

Hrothgar seems to regularly check for evil.

BWP20140721013.jpg

Gameplay note: This is part of one of the latest BP scripts I'm using. I've set Hrothgar up with the script "bppaldin", which has support for all paladin abilities, including apparently periodically casting Detect Evil in combat. Pretty sweet!

#1335 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 05:33 PM

The goblins keep coming, but none of them are a threat. Everyone just goes into auto-kill mode while I walk behind and loot everything.

BWP20140721014.jpg

On a small outcropping of rock overlooking the main road we find a small tower.

BWP20140721015.jpg

In the tower is a big red orog, or ogre, or something.

BWP20140721017.jpg

ghereg.jpg No know. Walk here from my cave. Need to answer call. Now cannot, and the head! It hurts! Ghereg want to pound head against wall to make head okay.

BRKVQ.jpg I think that's an excellent idea, Ghereg. Hitting your head against the wall *as hard as you can* will certainly make the pain go away. It's an old Reghedmen barbarian remedy. Try it, you'll see!

ghereg.jpg Ha ha. No funny. Ghereg head hurt. You insult me. Now Ghereg make your head hurt. *That* funny.

BRKVQ.jpg Uh...

He attacks us. So much for a joke!

BWP20140721018.jpg

We all get hits in, but Imoen puts him down.

BWP20140721019.jpg

He has a leather armor and a bastard sword. Nothing amazing. But he said something was calling him to be here. Hmm...

We go check north of the tower.

BWP20140721021.jpg

There are a whole lot more goblins to slaughter!

BWP20140721023.jpg

It is all fun and games until I get hit with magic missiles from a Rakshasa!

BWP20140721024.jpg

I pick him out of the crowd, but he's got the blur of Improved Invisibility about him.

BWP20140721025.jpg

I try to dispel it.

BWP20140721026.jpg

Detect Illusion doesn't work. I notice that Hrothgar, Dar, and Shar-Teel are all immobilized by some sort of disease, so I throw a Dispel Magic out there.

BWP20140721027.jpg

That knocks off the Improved Invisibility. Imoen and I follow it up with other spells.

BWP20140721028.jpg

Then a goblin captain closes the gap between us and him, and Imoen and I both throw up Mirror Images.

BWP20140722001.jpg

We take him out, but the Rakshasa is seriously injuring our front line. We try to focus fire on him, but he cuts Shar-Teel down!

BWP20140722002.jpg

Dar and Hrothgar double-team the evil cat creature, and finally Dar takes it out.

BWP20140722003.jpg

We try to rest here, so that Dar can memorize his Raise Dead spell and resurrect Shar-Teel, but we are interrupted 3 times by goblins.

BWP20140722004.jpg

So we decide to press on. We can resurrect Shar-Teel later.

BWP20140722005.jpg

Turns out there's not much pressing to do, just a cave in the side of the hill.

BWP20140722007.jpg

We are able to rest inside this cave, and then Dar resurrects Shar-Teel.

BWP20140722009.jpg

Accalia looks at me strangely as well as we wake up. Have I been looking at her too much? I tried not to stare...

BWP20140722010.jpg

BRKVQ.jpg No Accalia, of course not. It is that your resemblance to another traveling companion of mine, also a priest of Tempus, is so striking that I have to remind myself that it is Accalia and not Branwen... as was this young woman's name... that walks beside me now.

Accalia.jpeg I would like to hear more of this Branwen, this priest of Tempus whom I put you in mind of so much.

BRKVQ.jpg I have already said how like you she was, in mannerism, looks, even your voice, but I do remember her saying she left her home in the northern isles to become a priest, which could give rise to her sounding much like yourself.

Accalia.jpeg The northern isles you say? If things are then as they are now, then such a vocation is frowned upon for a woman. She must have struggled hard to enter the priesthood. So it was on her journeys in your part of the world that she became part of your group, Syvishtar, yes?

BRKVQ.jpg In a way, Accalia. When I came upon Branwen, she had unfortunately been petrified and was being exhibited at a local fair near the town of Nashkel. The minute I learned of her circumstances I returned her to flesh and blood.

Accalia.jpeg That is monstrous! So cruel, to be put on display for all to poke and peer at, the poor child! Did she say how she came to be in such a pitiful state?

BRKVQ.jpg She did indeed. She told me of how she had joined a group who, unbeknownst to her, were involved with banditry along the Sword Coast. When she discovered their plot to attack an unarmed caravan she balked, and in the ensuing fight the group's mage turned her to stone.

Accalia.jpeg What an appalling ordeal for the young woman, and yet she served you as a priest of Tempus. Her faith had not wavered at all throughout this time?

BRKVQ.jpg Not once. I am not sure that I would have retained my faith in a god that allowed a priest of his to succumb to such a cruel fate.

Accalia.jpeg The gods are sometimes known to be cruel in their demands on their servants, Syvishtar. It would seem to me that Tempus, for reasons known only to himself, decided to test the strength of Branwen's faith. You were then chosen to do his will and release her when he decreed it was time. If her faith remained as strong as you say, then Tempus would have been well pleased with her. She was an honorable woman and a credit to Tempus.

BRKVQ.jpg I could not fault her loyalty to me nor her loyalty to her god, Accalia. She became a trusted and reliable ally to us all.

Accalia.jpeg Then let it be Tempus' will that I serve as honorably as she.

Oh, did I mention the nights of passion...? Heh.

So there's this cave full of goblins, and a raksasha was leading them. They're all dead now, so mission accomplished I guess? We head back out into the blinding snow.

BWP20140722011.jpg

But Dar does not answer. We return to the trail, to the only other structure we had found - an old mill. We had already killed all the goblins around it, but then we decide to explore. As we climb up to the door, we find a goblin riding a warg, a look of confusion on his face.

BWP20140722013.jpg

crazy_goblin_marshal.jpg Of course. Not all goblins are idiots... just most of us. Rrrrrraaaaa! What is the buzzing in my head?

BRKVQ.jpg Hmmm... buzzing? That could be mind-affecting magic.

crazy_goblin_marshal.jpg I don't know what's causing it, but it's driving me mad. It feels like my head is tearing itself apart. It wasn't so bad when I could follow the pull, but now I'm trapped in this damned pass. RrrrrrAAAAAGH! The pain!

I totally expect him to attack at this point, but he doesn't. He just sits there, moaning about the pain.

BWP20140722014.jpg

Huh. This goblin is weird.

Inside the mill, we find more confused monsters led by an orog.

BWP20140722015.jpg

uligar.jpg Do not mock Chief of Bleeding Eye! You give tribute now or die!

BRKVQ.jpg Give tribute or die, eh? Well, it's getting pretty late. I should probably be going. Farewell.

It was worth a shot, but they don't fall for it.

BWP20140722016.jpg

There's no room or time for fancy spellwork, so I just cast Haste. It is enough.

BWP20140722017.jpg

We loot them and then leave. Looks like this pass has been cleared out.

BWP20140722018.jpg

We are probably in the clear all the way to Kuldahar!

#1336 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 05:34 PM

We know we have come to someplace special when the snow starts going away...

BWP20140722019.jpg

We are greeted by a happy, childish voice.

BWP20140722020.jpg

nate.jpg I'm Nate. Arundel said that help was on its way. I've been out here every day, keeping a lookout for you. Where is the rest of your army? Are you just the scouts or something?

BRKVQ.jpg Who is Arundel?

nate.jpg Arundel's my friend. He's the oldest and smartest man in the whole world. He can talk to animals, you know. You should probably go see him... he'll be wanting to talk to you too.

BRKVQ.jpg Very well. Where can we find this Arundel?

nate.jpg He lives across this bridge, on the other side of the brook. Just look for the house with the three big rocks out front.

BRKVQ.jpg Thanks, Nate. Farewell.

I find the three big rocks easily enough.

BWP20140722022.jpg

townsperson_kuldahar.jpg My sympathies for your fallen comrades -- What happened?

BRKVQ.jpg The Pass is snowed in, and to make things worse, there's a horde of creatures in the Pass, mostly goblins and orcs. I doubt any caravans will be through for quite some time.

townsperson_kuldahar.jpg That is grim news indeed. I fear things here in Kuldahar are not much better -- you may wish you'd stayed in Easthaven.

BRKVQ.jpg Tell me about Kuldahar.

townsperson_kuldahar.jpg What did you want to know about Kuldahar? Or did you want to know what's been going on *around* Kuldahar?

BRKVQ.jpg "Around Kuldahar?" Do you mean the weather?

townsperson_kuldahar.jpg This winter's been a season of evil here in Kuldahar - people vanishing, sudden storms, monsters sighted in the Pass - it's all going to get a lot worse before the year is done, mark my words.

BRKVQ.jpg I see. Anything else you can tell me?

townsperson_kuldahar.jpg Ask some of the other townsfolk - they might know something I don't, and you'll never know what bit of information they got in their heads they might randomly cough up when asked.

BRKVQ.jpg Very well, then. Can you tell me a little about the town?

townsperson_kuldahar.jpg Well, Kuldahar's not a big place, but I can tell you a bit about if, if you want.

BRKVQ.jpg How long has that tree been here? It's huge.

townsperson_kuldahar.jpg Been here as long as I can remember - a blessing as near as I can tell. The chilly weather doesn't even touch the town with the tree growing here; it radiates enough heat to keep things green, which is a sight for tired eyes here in the North. But hells, if you came through the pass, you'll know that already.

BRKVQ.jpg I must take my leave. Farewell.

I guess that the archdruid's house is right next to me, but I decide to take a quick tour of the place before talking to more people. I want to get perspective.

I find a nice statue.

BWP20140722023.jpg

I explore all of the areas kept green by the tree. It is quite exrtaordinary!

BWP20140722024.jpg

In the northwest we seem to have some kind of wizard's tower. The center has a few houses. Up north there is a blacksmith. To the northeast there looks to be some kind of parked flying ship? And just below that, a temple to Ilmater. Then, in the south central area of the town, there is the archdruid's house. I guess we should go talk to him.

BWP20140722025.jpg

#1337 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 05:35 PM

He greets us as soon as we walk in the door.

BWP20140722027.jpg

arundel.jpg Yes, I am Arundel, known to some as the Archdruid of Kuldahar. Though I invite you to dispense with the formalities and just call me Arundel, plain and simple. Titles tend only to serve one's own vanity and aren't really of much use in this small mountain community.

BRKVQ.jpg Very well. Tell me, Arundel, do you know anything about the reports of disturbances in these mountains?

arundel.jpg I see Hrothgar amongst you. It's a good sign. How do you do, my friend?

Hrothgar.jpeg We were lucky surviving in the avalanche. But I mourn the loss of my people.

arundel.jpg I know, and I am truly sorry. It was I who sent Hallaster to Easthaven for help. His death weighs heavily upon my conscience, for not only was he a student of mine, but he was also a friend and trusted companion. He will be missed.

BRKVQ.jpg You know about the avalanche?

arundel.jpg Oh yes, I know. I also know that it was not accident. Someone or... *something* did not want your party to reach Kuldahar alive.

BRKVQ.jpg This someone or something, I presume, is the reason you sent for help?

arundel.jpg There are malevolent forces at work in these mountains, forces that seek to undermine the delicate balance we druids have struggled to preserve for centuries.

BRKVQ.jpg Malevolent forces? Could you be more specific?

arundel.jpg Would that I could. The face of the evil remains hidden, but its presence is unmistakable. All about us, there are signs of its damaging influence on the balance... the unnatural weather, the recent rash of abductions, the numerous monster sightings in the pass...

arundel.jpg These all point toward something sinister. Even the animals sense something is amiss.

BRKVQ.jpg Can you tell me more about these disturbances?

arundel.jpg I can only tell you of what little I know. Which disturbances would you have me speak of?

BRKVQ.jpg Tell me of the unnatural weather.

arundel.jpg The weather in these mountains has always been harsh, but never like this. Fierce storms ravage the valley without warning, often lasting for several days at a time before vanishing as quickly as they come.

arundel.jpg It is barely midway into Leafal, and yet the pass to the south has been snowed in entirely. Weather such as this is most unnatural. Nature presents itself in cycles that are predictable by those who know what to look for.

BRKVQ.jpg Tell me about the recent rash of abductions.

arundel.jpg Ah, yes. Terrible. Terrible. At first, there were tales told by travelers of companions disappearing into the night, snatched up from their bedrolls as they camped along the narrow trail that winds through the pass.

arundel.jpg We did not think much of these tales, for such occurrences are not unheard of in these mountains.

arundel.jpg Then one night Conlan's boy, Sheemish, went missing. The next morning, the whole town searched for the boy but turned up nothing. He was just gone. Vanished without a trace.

BRKVQ.jpg That is strange indeed.

arundel.jpg The boy was just the first. Several nights later, another disappeared - Maegan Potts, the local midwife. Her husband Kaleel was grief-stricken to the point of madness. With barely a word to anyone, he snatched up his sword and marched off into the darkness after his wife. No one has heard from him since.

arundel.jpg And now, the abductions are occurring *more* frequently. Eidan, the old innkeeper from the Evening Shade, was taken only three days ago.

BRKVQ.jpg Tell me about the monster sightings.

arundel.jpg As I'm sure you have noticed by now, there seems to be quite a few goblins about. It is not usual to see so many of their kind roaming the mountains so late in the year. It is almost as if something has drawn them out of their holes, like carrion birds drawn to the scent of death.

arundel.jpg As if the goblins weren't enough, several giants have been spotted moving through the pass in groups as large as ten.

arundel.jpg That many giants traveling together in such numbers indicates they are organized and are acting with a singular purpose. I have watched their activities closely. Their tracks trace a deliberate pattern through the mountains, almost as if they were on patrol.

arundel.jpg Another thing... while I was out scouting the giants, I discovered other sets of tracks, tracks I have never encountered before. What manner of beast made them... I could not say.

BRKVQ.jpg You spoke before of balance. What sort of balance are you talking about?

arundel.jpg *The* balance. It is what the druids of Kuldahar hold sacred and have worked to preserve for generations. It is all around us. It *is* us.

arundel.jpg Balance is the harmony that is achieved when man and nature learn to coexist, no longer contending with one another, but coming together as two parts of a whole.

BRKVQ.jpg What can you tell me about the druids of Kuldahar?

arundel.jpg Balance is the belief that this town is built upon... the very reason for its existence. Druids of Silvanus, the Oakfather, have tended this shrine since the beginning. For hundreds of years, we have striven to achieve the ideal balance between man and nature.

arundel.jpg When settlers finally came to this pass, it was Archdruid Tolben, my predecessor, who laid the foundation for the relationship that led to the birth of this community.

BRKVQ.jpg Shrine? What shrine are you talking about?

arundel.jpg The Great Oak. The massive tree that stands above us... around us. It is a holy shrine to Silvanus, for it was he who planted its seed when Faerun was first born. It is a testament to the raw power of nature, a monument to its ability to thrive in the face of adversity.

arundel.jpg Thanks to Tolben, the Great Oak we druids called the Kuldahar, and the town that has come to be known by the same name, have together become a monument of even greater significance... a monument to the balance.

BRKVQ.jpg I see. So what are we to do about all this?

arundel.jpg I fear that if we do not soon discover the source of these disturbances, then all that we have worked for will be destroyed.

#1338 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 05:35 PM

arundel.jpg The evil that has come to these mountains infects this town like a disease. As its people suffer, so does the tree suffer from the sickness that attacks the balance, corrupting it with its very presence.

arundel.jpg Already, the circle of warmth that radiates from the Great Oak has begun to recede.

arundel.jpg We were forced to abandon the outlying farmsteads as a result of the shrine's fading power. If we do not take action soon, I am afraid that the life-giving warmth will cease altogether.

arundel.jpg Both the Great Oak and the town nestled within its roots will die. This must *not* happen. We need your help.

Do I care about all this? I search deep within my heart, and realize that I don't.

BRKVQ.jpg What? Help you? I don't think so, old man. I'm only interested in getting out of these miserable mountains alive. Understand?

arundel.jpg I understand, but the circumstances leave you little choice *but* to get involved. I needn't remind you that the avalanche that wiped out your expedition, the one that you were fortunate to survive, has blocked the way back to the Ten-Towns. As I mentioned before, the pass south has been entirely snowed in.

Hrothgar.jpeg Syvishtar has probably forgotten that this is my expedition. I came here looking for evil forces to destroy. And I am going to continue my mission with or without you. I understand if it is too dangerous for you and your companions. Moreover, you don't belong to my world. You are strangers in our lands, and I shall not blame you turning away from me.

What? Too dangerous? Listen here bud, I killed *Sarevok*! Alone! With bunnies! BEFORE BREAKFAST! I'll show you too dangerous!

BRKVQ.jpg Sorry, Hrothgar. You are right. We shall continue on our mission. You lost many friends to come here, and we will not turn away from you.

Hrothgar.jpeg Thank you, Syvishtar.

arundel.jpg There is no other way out of this valley. Your fate and the fate of Kuldahar are intertwined. You *must* discover the source of the disturbances and restore the balance... or we shall all perish together.

BRKVQ.jpg I see your point. Well then, where shall we begin?

arundel.jpg I suggest you begin by investigating the Vale of Shadows. It is a place not far from here. Darkness has always clung to the floor of the small canyon, as if the light of the sun itself were wary of the place.

arundel.jpg There are a number of ancient crypts hidden within the shadows of the Vale's narrow cliff walls. There have been rumors of the dead awakening and emerging from their dusty tombs to walk once more amongst men.

arundel.jpg If these rumors are true, then I suspect that whatever is responsible for disturbing their slumber may be behind the other disturbance as well.

arundel.jpg Go to the Vale of Shadows. I shall open a passage for you to the east of Kuldahar. Learn what you can about the happenings there, then return here and we shall discuss a course of action. Good luck, and farewell.

Shar-Teel-Firewalker.jpeg (*Impatiently*) Yet more errands to be run for a man too up himself and full of his own self importance to risk his neck! What are we, warriors or bloody gophers?

Hrothgar.jpeg You've made your opinion of men very clear Shar-Teel... in fact you've reminded us so many times that I am beginning to wonder whether it's us or yourself you are trying to convince.

Shar-Teel-Firewalker.jpeg I need no convincing paladin, you and your kind are the worst sort of pathetic! You can't help sticking those oversized noses of yours into things that don't concern you.

Shar-Teel-Firewalker.jpeg That old druid looked more than fit enough to sort this town... *his* town's problems, but no, Hrothgar the righteous has to stick his oar in and volunteer our necks instead whilst the druid does what... sits comfortably by his hearth contemplating his navel?! Men really are...

Hrothgar.jpeg (*Sternly*) Listen here my girl, you knew the nature of this mission before we left Easthaven! If you were not happy to follow with the rest of the group, then you should have stayed behind. I don't recall anyone forcing this quest upon you.

Hrothgar.jpeg Now if it is your intention to remain with the group, then please keep your disparaging remarks to yourself! No one here, least of all me, wants to listen to you harping on continuously.

Hrothgar.jpeg We all need to watch out for each other and, quite frankly, your attitude is sch that I'm not entirely sure that I want you watching my back Shar-Teel!

Shar-Teel-Firewalker.jpeg Do not question my intentions. You don't have the power to dismiss me Paladin. An oath is an oath and I pledged my sword to aid Syvishtar, my word is my bond but make NO mistake... I follow only because of his prowess in battle. When that falters, so does my loyalty.

Hey!

Shar-Teel-Firewalker.jpeg As for you paladin... I have no such loyalty to you, but you can be sure that as long as you don't cross me you have nothing to fear... cross me and it'll be your front you need to watch... backstabbing is the way of weak cowards!

Hrothgar.jpeg Then I guess we understand each other a little better. Now, to continue with our mission...

Yes. Our mission. The Vale of Shadows. Undead. Yay.

#1339 -Serial K-

-Serial K-

Posted 27 July 2014 - 01:12 PM

Fathering the ancestor of your former lover sounds like something that a god would do. Although one would guess that Syv will just bang anybody any time the opportunity arises.

#1340 Zarrk

Zarrk
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 02:19 AM

Fathering the ancestor of your former lover sounds like something that a god would do. Although one would guess that Syv will just bang anybody any time the opportunity arises.

Well Syv is still kind of a god in training and with his rotten luck Bhaal's essence will corrupt the entire bloodline, meaning next time we meet Branwen she will try to murder him to claim her legacy and proceed to her own ascension.

The safest choice is to convince Accalia to forsake Tempus and to start a worshipping exploding bunnies cult so that when Syv get back he can brag how he instigated the birth of a lesser deity.