Photo

Syvishtar's Journal

• Please log in to reply
1504 replies to this topic

#1281 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 09:31 AM

hmmm, i just finished a bwp install. can i install the new version on top of a completed bwp install?

The Monk is always out to keep a wild mage down. But the Weave, she speaks to me. Together we work our collective will on this brittle, cracking world.
Playing the Big World Project Let's Play both here and on the Something Awful forums.

#1282 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 06:44 AM

Sorry man, I guess since I've biffed up everything, I can no longer make changes. If I can figure out how to put your changes into the override or something I'll do it, but otherwise I'm making the plunge.

The Monk is always out to keep a wild mage down. But the Weave, she speaks to me. Together we work our collective will on this brittle, cracking world.
Playing the Big World Project Let's Play both here and on the Something Awful forums.

#1283 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 06:45 AM

BWP20140608136.jpg

?? ?????, ????

Gameplay note: Welcome one and all to the beginning of the greatest and perhaps most-modded RPG of all time. Welcome, everyone, to ...

shadows-of-amn.png

Gameplay note: The game begins with a disturbing introductory movie. Even if you have seen the BG2 introductory movie many times, you should watch this one. More stuff has been added.

Am I dead?

Am I alive?

Am I asleep? awake? Am I dreaming?

Am I... back in Candlekeep?!

GORION!

BWP20140606004.jpg

Gorion.jpeg My boy, you know better than to bother Imoen while she is at study and doing her chores.

Gorion.jpeg Speaking of chores, have you begun yours for today?

BRKVQ.jpg Do I have to do chores again today?

Gorion.jpeg I'm sure you can find some things to do inside the Keep. I know that some of the scholars have messed up the shelves upstairs and Brother Dewey is in a fit.

Gorion.jpeg You should help him out soon; I am sure there are a number of books that need to be sorted.

Gorion.jpeg Young Syvishtar, remember to stay out of the other Priests' way. You know they are not pleased at having a child, even two, inside the Keep.

Gorion.jpeg Above all, don't bother our guest. He's an important mage from up north, and if you annoy him like you did to Elminster last month, he's more than likely to fix you with a goblin under your bed than El.

Gorion.jpeg If you get your chores done on time, child, I'll teach you a special lesson later this evening. Go, Syvishtar. You should go see if Brother Dewey has any work that you can do.

Brother Dewey Mother Schmewey. His silly decimal system is annoying and doesn't REALLY work anyhow and I don't know why he makes me do all the work why I oughta run away back to Evermeet where I must be from and live forever under the sun and away from this dusty old library with these wrinkly old humans... I wonder what kind of elf I am, really?

BWP20140606005.jpg

Gameplay note: This is part of the subrace mod, a new mod with this new version of the BWP. Basically we get bonuses or penalties based on what type of elf we are. DnD 2nd Edition was buried under a mountain of elf subtypes. We are lucky to only have to choose between 5 variants here.

BRKVQ.jpg Moon elves tend to be shorter and slimmer than humans with delicate features. Moon elves are generally looked upon as being frivolous and aloof. Advantages: none. Disadvantages: none.

BRKVQ.jpg Drow, also known as dark elves, are the subterranean cousins of high elves. Their black skin and pale hair are a curse for their allegiance to the spider goddess, Lolth. Drow societies are usually ruled by cruel clerics of Lolth and their noble houses. Dark elves are known for their arrogance, cruelty, and penchant for civil war.

BRKVQ.jpg Advantages: +1 to INT and CHA, 50% magic resistance +2% every level max 80%, +2 to all spell saves, cast Faerie Fire 3/day. Disadvantages: gains 20% less experience, -1 THAC0 and saving throws when outside during the day.

BRKVQ.jpg The very rare wild elves are rarely seen by others, because they live in the heart of thick forests and they have incredible skill at keeping hidden. Also called green elves, their skin tends to be a dark brown, and their hair ranges from black to light brown, lightening to silvery white with age.

BRKVQ.jpg Advantages: +2 to CON. Disadvantages: -1 to INT.

BRKVQ.jpg Sylvan elves, or wood elves as they also are known, descended from the same stock as other elves. However, they prefer to live a more primitive lifestyle, more in touch with their roots in the primeval forests they have made their homes. Wood elves tend to have darker complexion than their cousins and yellow to coppery-red hair.

BRKVQ.jpg Advantages: +1 to STR. Disadvantages: -1 to INT and CHA.

BRKVQ.jpg Of all the elven races, sun elves are the most arrogant and haughty. They distance themselves from non-elf races and often won't let such "lesser beings" into their lands. The majority of Faerun's sun elves live on Evermeet and are famed for their command of both arcane and divine magic. Sun elves have bronze skin and hair of golden blond, copper, or black.

BRKVQ.jpg Advantages: +1 to INT. Disadvantages: -1 to DEX.

Gameplay note: I think the choice is obvious here.

BRKVQ.jpg Choose as subrace.

BWP20140606006.jpg

Gameplay note: woot! 22 INT!!

Yes, I must be a sun elf. They're the best and the smartest and the best and I'm going to live in Evermeet forever and never even remember Candlekeep and I'm bringing Imoen with me.

But, you know, Gorion did say he'd teach me something if I did my chores... maybe I should. Just this once. It is Gorion asking me after all, not one of these stuffy monks.

Fine. I'll go upstairs.

BWP20140606007.jpg

BWP20140606008.jpg

brother-dewey.jpg I've got this stack that I need you to put away for me.

brother-dewey.jpg Get it done as soon as you can, boy, and let me know as soon as you are done.

brother-dewey.jpg Remember Gorion's lessons about the Common alphabet. Be sure to put each book on the proper shelf, otherwise you'll mess up the system here at the Keep.

I hate it when they call me boy. What if I'm older than they are? I could be, you know. Elves live a long time. I could have been a kid longer than old stuffy Brother Dewey has been organizing books!

He's given me 4 books.

BWP20140606009.jpg

They are the History of Hotun Shul, the History of Netheril's Fall, the History of the Pirate Wars, and the History of Seros.

I look around the room and see each bookshelf, one for each letter.

BWP20140606010.jpg

I go check the H bookshelf and see a book already on it - the History of Halruaa.

BWP20140606011.jpg

But am I supposed to ignore "History"? Its a common word among all of these books. Should they all go in H? I go check the other bookshelves.

I find another book under L.

BWP20140606013.jpg

So, we ARE supposed to ignore the first word of "History." Aha! Why couldn't Dewey just tell me that?

I put the History of Hotun Shul in the H section.

BWP20140606014.jpg

I walk to bookshelf N to put up the History of Netheril's Fall. While there, I see another book, one that looks somewhat... familiar.

BWP20140606017.jpg

I remember reading this somewhere. I remember the word Kozah. Didn't I... no. How could I have read this before? I'm only 8 years old!

I put it back with the History of Netheril's Fall in there too.

BWP20140606018.jpg

And I put the History of Seros in Bookshelf S with all the others.

BWP20140606019.jpg

Wow, there are a lot of histories of Shadowdale. Finch would love this place.

Wait, who?

Since I don't have any books left to shelve, I go back to that old stuff-guts Brother Dewey.

BWP20140606020.jpg

brother-dewey.jpg Thanks for putting all those books on the right shelves. You did quite well for this chore.

brother-dewey.jpg I'll let your father know that you finished this chore. He will be pleased.

Gameplay note: I get... 50 XP! Woot! Also, walking around as a child is very sloooow. This can quickly become tedious.

BWP20140606022.jpg

I wonder if Gorion will let me go play with Imoen now? I'll ask him!

BWP20140606023.jpg

#1284 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 06:45 AM

Gorion.jpeg You should be getting along with your chores, young Syvishtar.

Gorion.jpeg I'm sure you're looking forward to this evening's lesson, and you know if you don't finish the tasks that I have assigned you, I will withdraw the opportunity for you to study something new.

Why don't you tell me what they are, father? I guess I could just walk around and see if anyone needs anything done... LIKE A SLAVE!

One priest doesn't really appreciate me asking.

BWP20140606024.jpg

In the kitchens, I find Clarissa.

BWP20140606025.jpg

clarissa.jpg I've got to get the hominy going for the day's grits. These priests sure eat a lot.

clarissa.jpg Here, take these pails out to the cows and bring me the morning's milk. The only cows giving milk are on the north side of the Keep's grounds. Be sure that you get me four full buckets.

Four buckets?!?

BWP20140606026.jpg

Aww, come on!

BWP20140606027.jpg

As I make my way out the front door of Candlekeep's central library, I stick my tongue out at Alaundo.

BWP20140606028.jpg

It's actually a pretty nice day out here.

BWP20140606029.jpg

Gameplay note: As I enter the Candlekeep grounds, the Lord of the Rings Hobbit theme begins playing. It's nice.

I go out of the front gate to the inner grounds.

BWP20140606030.jpg

She said the cows were on the north side, right?

BWP20140606031.jpg

I wonder if they're ever actually going to construct that temple to Oghma.

BWP20140606032.jpg

I finally find the cows next to the construction site. Then, I realize I have a choice.

BWP20140606035.jpg

I briefly consider what a milk explosion would look like.

BRKVQ.jpg Milk cow.

I take one of my pails and put it underneath the cow. Then I begin milking.

BWP20140606036.jpg

Gameplay note: Actually one of the pails disappears, and I don't know how to get a full one. Just wait I guess? I wait, clicking a few more times. Eventually the text of the cow changes.

BWP20140606037.jpg

And, then I have a pail of fresh milk!

BWP20140606038.jpg

Great. Now I have to do that 3 more times. I can't use the same cow, though.

BWP20140606039.jpg

I move on to repeat the whole experience again with a second cow.

BWP20140606040.jpg

After both cows are milked, I start walking around looking for more. That's when I see Imoen!

BWP20140606042.jpg

I decide to stop and talk.

BWP20140606044.jpg

Imoen.jpeg Little one? We're both pretty young, though you sure got tall fast. Relatively, anyway.

I remember that I can't even enter that house just nearby.

BWP20140606045.jpg

Man, life sucks in Candlekeep. I wish I was out, having adventures. Learning magic! But no, I have to search all over the place for cows with fat udders.

And I can't find any more.

BWP20140606046.jpg

I can't even go into the Inn!

BWP20140606047.jpg

I can go into the barracks, though! Gorion didn't tell me not to!

BWP20140606048.jpg

But all the chests in here are locked, and the guards are boring.

BWP20140606049.jpg

Can't go in the bunkhouse...

BWP20140606050.jpg

Can't go there or there...

BWP20140606051.jpg

Can't go anywhere! Why does my life have to be SO BORING?

I didn't find any more cows, so I go and check on the two cows on the north side again. They're ready for more milking.

BWP20140606052.jpg

Yay.

After some time, I am able to gather two more pails of milk. Then it's back into the central keep.

BWP20140606053.jpg

And I deliver the milk to Clarissa.

BWP20140606054.jpg

clarissa.jpg That's a big help to me. Good boy.

clarissa.jpg Here, the washing women brought up the clean linens to make the beds in the keep. You'll need to make all the beds here, both upstairs and outside in the garrison. And don't be putting fine linens out for those dirty soldiers!

clarissa.jpg The maids of the Keep gave me all the clean linens, and I need you to go around the keep and make up all the beds in all the private quarters and in the common sleeping areas. Don't let those soldiers have the good linens!

clarissa.jpg Don't worry about whether or not the beds are perfectly made, but you need to be sure that *all* of the sleeping pallets are made up.

Then she throws a ton of blankets at me. Ugh!

BWP20140606055.jpg

There's two types, just as she said.

BWP20140606056.jpg

And then the bedsheets.

BWP20140606057.jpg

So, what, do I have to go to every single monk's room and change their sheets? Kill me noooooow.

#1285 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 06:46 AM

I go upstairs to try to find where all the monks sleep their stinky sleeps.

BWP20140606058.jpg

A funny name, Drizzt. Drizzzzt. Drizzzzzzzzt.

I don't find any beds on this floor, so I go up to the next.

BWP20140606059.jpg

I go to the large room at one side of the floor, and instinctively wince at the memories of blood, fire, and death.

BWP20140606060.jpg

Memories? What am I saying? I look curiously around, searching for signs of our important vistor.

BWP20140606062.jpg

Thalantyr.jpeg If you don't help me as soon as possible, the scribes won't be able to get the work done by eveningfest. You'd better hurry.

Ok, ok, geez. I'm making beds right now! Don't get yer robes in a bunch old man!

I check the time. It is only the 13th hour.

BWP20140606063.jpg

Plenty of time to make all the beds and scribe all the scrolls. Right? I go up to the top level.

BWP20140606064.jpg

This floor is full of little rooms, not open like the others.

BWP20140606065.jpg

And in the corner of each little room is a sleeping pallet.

BWP20140606066.jpg

I go to the next one.

BWP20140606067.jpg

In the center of the room I see some scribes sitting at little desks. Curious, I go up to one of them to see what he's doing.

BWP20140606069.jpg

scribe.jpg Wow, little boy, that is great. Perhaps someday you can grow up and be a scribe like me.

I'm getting out of here as soon as possible old man.

There's also an impressive-looking gentleman in the center of the room. I try to talk to him too.

BWP20140606070.jpg

Oh well. Back to making beds I guess.

BWP20140606071.jpg

I guess this is all of them?

BWP20140606072.jpg

No, wait, there's another floor.

BWP20140606073.jpg

Another floor full of fancier beds!

BWP20140606074.jpg

Why does everyone keep their chests locked? That just makes me more curious about them...

BWP20140606075.jpg

Finally I run out of linens to put onto beds.

BWP20140606076.jpg

But there's another staircase up. What is up at the top of Candlekeep? I've never been up there, I think.

BWP20140606077.jpg

Oh, right, its because Gorion told me not to. How could I forget? I guess there's nothing else to do but to go downstairs and make the guards' beds too. Sigh.

It's nice to be outside again though. I like the sun on my skin.

BWP20140606078.jpg

I quickly make up all of the guards' beds.

BWP20140606080.jpg

And I'm out of linens. Sweeet! I should go tell Clarissa.

BWP20140606081.jpg

clarissa.jpg You did a good job making all the beds. Good boy. I'll tell your father Gorion you finished up with the chores that you were to do for me a little later.

clarissa.jpg See you tomorrow, young Syvishtar.

You know, I don't mind when SHE calls me boy. I just hope Thalantyr doesn't do it. I guess I should go scribe scrolls for him...

BWP20140606082.jpg

Thalantyr.jpeg The scrolls you need to take upstairs to have scribed. Each needs to be copied so that we have enough for the Keep, and to sell to other mages.

Thalantyr.jpeg Here, you need to take these three scrolls to the scribes.

Thalantyr.jpeg I need three copies of Dispel Magic, two copies of Protection from Evil, and four copies of Armor.

BRKVQ.jpg Very well, Sir Mage Thalantyr. I will have them copied by the scribes.

Thalantyr.jpeg Don't forget the count of how many copies I need of each. You might wish to write it down.

Yeah, yeah, I got it. Three, two, four.

I go upstairs to talk to the scribes.

BWP20140606083.jpg

scribe_armor.jpg An Armor scroll? Quite a good spell as a last resort. How many copies do you need?

BRKVQ.jpg Sir Thalantyr needs four copies.

scribe_armor.jpg Give me about an hour to do each copy, and I'll have a new parchment spelled for you.

Four hours?! I check the time again. It is Hour 16 already.

BWP20140606084.jpg

scribe_protection.jpg I sure can. Return in about four hours and I'll have them done.

Four hours for him too?!?

BWP20140606085.jpg

scribe.jpg Copying parchment is what I do best. How many copies of the Dispel Magic scroll do you need?

BRKVQ.jpg Thalantyr wants three copies please.

scribe.jpg It will take me three hours to scribe that many copies of this Dispel Magic scroll. Come back a little later.

Sooo, looks like I have 4 hours to kill. If I would have known about Thalantyr first, I could have gotten these slow scribes started before doing any of the other chores. As it is, I have to wait until hour 20 until I'm done for the day.

#1286 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 06:46 AM

Hmmm, I wonder what Imoen is doing right now?

BWP20140606086.jpg

What? Oh, come on Imoen, don't be like that. I'm boooored!

BWP20140606088.jpg

Gorion.jpeg I am glad to hear that, my son.

Gorion.jpeg I'm sure you're looking forward to this evening's lesson, and you know if you don't finish the tasks that I have assigned you, I will withdraw the opportunity for you to study something new.

I go see if there's anyone else I can talk to. But everybody seems busy.

BWP20140606090.jpg

BWP20140606089.jpg

BWP20140606091.jpg

Thalantyr.jpeg Those damnable scribes are lazy, good-for-nothing, under-educated men who would do better playing at town crier. No matter, bring the scrolls when they've all been copied.

You know, that Thalantyr isn't half bad.

With nothing else to do, I just sit around and wait for the scribes to get done.

BWP20140606092.jpg

Gameplay note: This whole mod seems designed to annoy via making everything take real time. But joke's on them, I have YouTube!

BWP20140606093.jpg

After waiting until hour 20...

BWP20140606094.jpg

scribe.jpg Here you are. Three copies of the Dispel Magic scroll, as well as the original.

scribe.jpg It's time for me to go over to Candlekeep Inn. I'll see you later.

But the other two aren't done yet. I think they might need another hour. I try to meditate, or something, whatever makes these monks able to stand this place. Then I ask again.

BWP20140606096.jpg

scribe_protection.jpg I've done my work for the day. I'll see you around, little boy.

Grrr, I'll little boy you old man!

The other one is done too.

BWP20140606097.jpg

scribe_armor.jpg There you are, the copies and the originals, hot off the presses, as it were.

scribe_armor.jpg I'm off to wash all this ink off my palms. Good day to you, young man.

Hey, good day to you too! He didn't call me boy!

But when I go back to give the scrolls to Thalantyr, he's not there!

BWP20140606098.jpg

I don't know what to do. So I go back to Gorion.

BWP20140606100.jpg

Gorion.jpeg You should be getting along with your chores, young Syvishtar.

Well, what can I do if Thalantyr isn't around? I go back to his room to look for him again.

BWP20140606101.jpg

I go upstairs to the top floor of the keep and look around for him in each one. He's nowhere to be found. So I rest a little bit.

Injbg.jpg

Gameplay note: I rest for 16 hours until 1pm the next day.

Then I go look for him again.

BWP20140606103.jpg

Thalantyr.jpeg That is good. I am pleased the scribes were so quick with the work.

Thalantyr.jpeg These are better than I expected. I shall have to commend Tethtoril on his choices when he contracted those scribes.

Gameplay note: Again I gain 50 more xp!!!

BWP20140606104.jpg

Then I go downstairs to report to Gorion.

BWP20140606105.jpg

Gorion.jpeg Yes, young Syvishtar. Just don't be late for your lesson later this evening.

Sweet! I'm gonna go play with Imoen!

BWP20140606106.jpg

She's right where I expected her to be.

BWP20140606108.jpg

Imoen.jpeg About time. You should do your chores faster tomorrow and we'll have more time to play. Come on, Syvishtar.

Imoen.jpeg TAG! YOU'RE IT!

BWP20140606109.jpg

BWP20140606110.jpg

BWP20140606111.jpg

BWP20140606113.jpg

BWP20140606114.jpg

BWP20140606115.jpg

Good game. Good game. I think I have something in my eye.

BWP20140606116.jpg

OK!

1 2 3 4 5 6 10 50 NINETY-NINE A HUNDRED!!

BWP20140606117.jpg

Well crap, where'd she go? I search EVERYWHERE, and eventually I find her behind the ... thingies.

BWP20140606118.jpg

She's right.

BWP20140606119.jpg

It's already... hour 18! Time for my lesson.

#1287 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 06:48 AM

BWP20140606105.jpg

Gorion.jpeg Syvishtar, you may play with Imoen if you wish, but I thought you would rather learn something new.

Gorion.jpeg The choice is up to you, child. In your life you will have to make many choices which will be of utmost importance, and I want you to learn to make these choices wisely.

Well, I already played with Imoen, sooooo...

BRKVQ.jpg Father, what will you be teaching me tonight?

Gorion.jpeg Well, my child, I thought it would be helpful to you later in life if you learned more about your world. I believe that having a rounded education, above your academic studies like letter and grammar, history, mathematics, civic lessons, and the like, would be good for you.

Gorion.jpeg I do have some knowledge in some topics which would be useful to you, but there are also others here in the Keep that excel at exercises that I do not.

Gorion.jpeg Would you like me to teach you these methods, young Syvishtar?

BRKVQ.jpg Yes, Father! That would be very exciting. Teach me these things.

Gorion.jpeg Very well, my boy. Come with me and I shall teach you something beyond the mundane rote lessons you have learned.

BWP20140606120.jpg

He takes me to visit Hull.

BWP20140606121.jpg

Gorion.jpeg I've asked Hull here to teach you some survival techniques. These are not particularly useful to someone who would stay in a city or library their entire life, but I think that it will help you round out your education.

Gorion.jpeg As I am not one to know much about the types of things that Hull excels at, I've asked him for his cooperation in instructing you as well as your other tutors and instructors.

Gorion.jpeg Well, I'll leave you two alone now. Syvishtar, when Hull says that you can go, you should go upstairs and get some sleep. It'll be past your bedtime when you finish your exercises.

Gorion.jpeg Thank you, Hull, and good eve to the both of you.

BWP20140606122.jpg

hull2.jpg Most folk never know what an education can do for them. Tymora knows, I ain't never had an education, but I'm still kickin'.

hull2.jpg There's never been any shame in not knowing everything there is to know, kiddo.

hull2.jpg Anyway, Gorion wants me to teach you some stuff, and I can do that, but you got to realize that I'm not really one to teach. I'll leave that to the high-brows inside the Keep.

hull2.jpg I'm a fighter, not a teacher, and can only really show you stuff that I know. I had a couple of ideas of what I could show you, but you'll have to tell me what you would rather know.

hull2.jpg I thought that I could show you some eastern styles where a warrior can summon his own inner strength to call upon reserves of strength in times of danger, to tighten your muscles and fortify your body in ways that will let you resist damage from enemies, or I thought that it might be exciting if you learned how to look at an area and see what kinds of creatures may be in the region, and what direction they may be in.

hull2.jpg So, kiddo, what would you rather me teach you? Hardiness or tracking?

I think about it for a moment. I realize that I'd much rather know where monsters are than to try to resist them by sheer willpower. After all that's what magic is for, and that's why I'm going to be a mage some day.

BRKVQ.jpg I want to learn the Tracking skill.

hull2.jpg Then that's what I'll show you.

hull2.jpg Come on, let's go.

BWP20140606123.jpg

BWP20140606124.jpg

BWP20140606125.jpg

BWP20140606126.jpg

BWP20140606127.jpg

BWP20140606128.jpg

BWP20140606129.jpg

BWP20140606130.jpg

BWP20140606131.jpg

BWP20140606132.jpg

BWP20140606133.jpg

BWP20140606134.jpg

BWP20140606135.jpg

BWP20140606136.jpg

BWP20140606137.jpg

BWP20140606138.jpg

BWP20140606139.jpg

hull2.jpg Once you've tried it out a few times, you'll get the hang of it. Why don't you go practice looking around here, and see if you can find people or animals.

hull2.jpg Very good, kiddo. I've got to go catch some z's. I'll see you around the Keep.

And then I go back to my room and get some sleep too.

Here I am, at home in Candlekeep with Gorion and Hull teaching me, and Imoen to play with. Nothing bad ever happens, and nothing exciting either. I go to sleep with a contented smile on my face. I don't even realize that my eyes are crying.

Injbg.jpg

The next morning...

BWP20140606141.jpg

I go downstairs to be greeted by Gorion.

BWP20140606143.jpg

Gorion.jpeg Young Syvishtar, you need to stop procrastinating and take your duties much more seriously. Now, you need to go help Clarissa, Brother Dewey, and Thalantyr.

Gorion.jpeg If you do all your chores with Brother Dewey, Thalantyr, and Clarissa like you have been instructed, perhaps I will teach you somthing new later today, after eveningfest.

Whaaat? Again?? Ok, fine, but I'm going to Thalantyr first this time.

Edited by Usurper, 08 June 2014 - 06:48 AM.

#1288 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 06:49 AM

BWP20140607001.jpg

Thalantyr.jpeg The scrolls you need to take upstairs to have scribed. Each needs to be copied so that we have enough for the Keep, and to sell to other mages.

Thalantyr.jpeg Look, boy, I only have one scroll that needs to be scribed. Take this Protection From Normal Weapons scrolls upstairs and have the scribes make out four copies of it.

Thalantyr.jpeg I need four copies. Don't forget to bring back the original.

Yeah, yeah, I got it old man.

BWP20140607002.jpg

scribe.jpg I will do that as soon as I have finished my work for Brother Dewey. Come back in about three hours and it will be done.

Brother Dewey can't resist giving people work to do, can he? I bet he has more books for me to organize. I reluctantly go down and ask him.

BWP20140607003.jpg

brother-dewey.jpg I've got this stack that I need you to put away for me.

brother-dewey.jpg Get it done as soon as you can, boy, and let me know as soon as you are done.

brother-dewey.jpg Remember Gorion's lessons about the Common alphabet. Be sure to put each book on the proper shelf, otherwise you'll mess up the system here at the Keep.

Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before. I put the books away as quickly as possible.

BWP20140607004.jpg

Brother Dewey is happy. Big whoop.

Clarissa isn't, though.

BWP20140607005.jpg

clarissa.jpg The priests are hosting a special luncheon with some scholars from Silverymoon. They got me grilling up salmon and it's going to take me all day.

clarissa.jpg Here, I need you to go get the day's milk. I'm going to need extra for the luncheon. Be sure you fill all these pails up, ok?

She gives me EIGHT PAILS!

BWP20140607006.jpg

I think I'm going to end up overworking these poor cows.

BWP20140607007.jpg

Then I guess I have to wait for the cows' milk to replenish. I spend the time I have to wait looking at this amulet I have around my neck.

BWP20140607008.jpg

I choose to examine it further.

BWP20140607010.jpg

A man appears next to me.

BWP20140607011.jpg

He casts a spell on me, making me resist fire and cold. Then he disappears.

BWP20140607012.jpg

Wow, so cool! This is going to be great for getting out of... getting... this is great!

Eventually the cows can give some more milk.

Gameplay note: It takes about one in-game hour for the cows to re-milkerize. This quest would be unbearable if this game was full-screen.

Eventually I fill all 8 pails, and take them back to Clarissa.

BWP20140607013.jpg

clarissa.jpg That's a big help to me. Good boy.

Then she gives me another load of linens. Why do people want to have clean beds every single day? This is boooooring.

BWP20140607014.jpg

I decide to see if the scribe is finished with Thalantyr's work.

BWP20140607015.jpg

scribe.jpg I'm going to get some food and drink at Winthrop's. I'll see you later.

So, time to deliver these to Thalantyr!

BWP20140607016.jpg

Thalantyr.jpeg I am pleased the scribes were so quick with the work. You will need to thank them for their work.

Thalantyr.jpeg Very well, little boy. I will tell your father that you have finished your chores for me.

Yah, yah, whatever. Now to do the guard's beds real quick...

BWP20140607017.jpg

And to tell Clarissa...

BWP20140607018.jpg

clarissa.jpg You did a good job making all the beds. Good boy. I'll tell your father Gorion you finished up with the chores that you were to do for me a little later.

clarissa.jpg See you tomorrow, young Syvishtar.

And it is only hour 15!

BWP20140607019.jpg

I tell my father that I'm done with my chores.

BWP20140607020.jpg

Gorion.jpeg Yes, young Syvishtar. Just don't be late for your lesson later this evening.

Imoen is not in her usual place. But I find her on the south side of the Keep.

BWP20140607022.jpg

Imoen.jpeg About time. You should do your chores faster tomorrow and we'll have more time to play. Come on, Syvishtar.

Imoen.jpeg TAG! YOU'RE IT!

And thus begins another sweet game of tag. We run all over the Candlekeep grounds.

BWP20140607023.jpg

I am smiling so fiercely that my cheeks hurt, and the wind in my face dries off the tears almost as fast as I cry them. Wait... why am I crying, when this is so fun?

This is so fun!

BWP20140607025.jpg

onetwothreefivetenfifteenthirty NINETY-NINE ONE HUNDRED HERE I COME READY OR NOT!

Imoen's good at hiding, but I'm just as good at finding her.

Gameplay note: I thought this would be trivial with my new tracking skill, but its not on my skill bar. Perhaps only after this dream is done?

Eventually I see her... behind the wagon! HA!

BWP20140607026.jpg

#1289 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 06:50 AM

I go and find Gorion again, and have the same conversation as before.

BWP20140607030.jpg

This time he takes me upstairs.

BWP20140607031.jpg

Gorion.jpeg You are indeed lucky, Syvishtar, to have the finest education that one could get here on Faerun. You know, most people don't even know how to read, yet you have learned your letters and can read and write with the skills of even the most advanced scholars.

Gorion.jpeg That is no small accomplishment, Syvishtar, and you should be proud of yourself.

Gorion.jpeg But I feel that your studies can only go so far in a particular field under the tutelage of our most learned sages, and it is time that you begin learning more arcane and para-natural ideas.

This is what I'm talking about!!!

Gorion.jpeg Syvishtar, I want to begin teaching you how to use the weave. The weave of magic. The weave that surrounds, and is, Faerun.

BRKVQ.jpg That would be exciting, Father! What are you going to teach me?

Gorion.jpeg Indeed, Syvishtar? Do not be so excited, for the arcane arts are not something to be taken lightly. You must listen closely to my instructions and perform each action with care.

Oh, come on, it can't be THAT strict.

Gorion.jpeg I think that we should start fairly simple, and I have decided to teach you one of three magical spells. These spells are simple and common - most mages know of them - and I will list them in order of difficulty. Whether or not you succeed at learning the spells is up to you, and it is your choice of what I will teach you this eve.

Gorion.jpeg I could teach you how to dispel magic, how to protect yourself from evil, or the art of True Seeing. It is up to you, Syvishtar. What would you like me to teach you?

That's easy. Dispelling magic seems kindof... wrong. I'll protect myself from evil with the awesome arcane powers I'll learn any day now. What I truly want, really want, is to see the world as it truly is.

BRKVQ.jpg I want to learn True Seeing.

Gorion.jpeg Very well, my son. Listen closely then.

Gorion.jpeg True Sight is a powerful spell, Syvishtar. You must watch me extremely carefully, and take care to mimic my *exact* words and gestures.

Gorion.jpeg If you do not, my son, there could be dire consequences.

Gorion.jpeg First, I am going to cast a spell that will protect the two of us from any errors you may make. I hope that it is not needed, but I would rather be safe than sorry. After I cast the protection spell, I will cast an invisibility spell on you. You will be able to see me, and yourself, but I won't be able to see you. Then I will cast the True Seeing spell, and you will appear as normal.

Gorion.jpeg After that, I am going to cast a Mirror Image spell on myself, and you will see multiple images of me. I'll cast the True Seeing spell, and all of a sudden you will only be able to see one of me. Then I'll repeat the Mirror Image spell on myself, and you can try the True Seeing spell for yourself.

Gorion.jpeg Just be sure to do it exactly like I am going to show you.

Then, he does what he just said.

BWP20140607033.jpg

I think I see what he's trying to do...

BWP20140607037.jpg

It was over, then under, then... what?

BWP20140607041.jpg

Over, then under, then the come hither gesture, then...

BWP20140607042.jpg

Grrrr. Over then under then come hither and out again...

BWP20140607043.jpg

Stupidhandswhydon'ttheyworkIoughtacomeYOURhitherand

BWP20140607044.jpg

Gorion.jpeg Good Gond, Syvishtar! Be careful!

Gorion.jpeg I think that may have been too advanced of a spell for you, Syvishtar. Perhaps we should have stuck with something simpler.

Gorion.jpeg That was enough practice for today, Syvishtar. It's almost your bedtime, so why don't you go get some rest, and I will see you in the morning.

Gorion.jpeg Good night to you, my son.

I will never get tired of hearing him call me that. Frustrated, but somehow content, I go to my room without complaint.

Injbg.jpg

The third day I wake up rested and relaxed. Today's a holiday, right? Hmm...

BWP20140607046.jpg

Maybe not. Ugh. Chores chores chores. Gotta talk to Gorion.

BWP20140607047.jpg

You know, I don't really know who the Morninglord is, but his name sounds freaking awesome.

Gorion.jpeg I am glad to hear that from you, young Syvishtar. You've no idea how pleased I am to hear you say such a thing.

Gorion.jpeg I suppose you will be getting on to your morning routine?

I want to try to learn more magic!

BRKVQ.jpg Of course, Father.

Gorion.jpeg Excellent. Excellent. Carry on then, my son.

Clarissa, then Brother Dewey, and Thalantyr. By now I've got the routine down pat.

BWP20140607048.jpg

BWP20140607049.jpg

Its only 6 gallons of milk, 3 Fireball scrolls, 2 Protection from Electricity scrolls, 1 Protection from Undead scroll, 6 Haste scrolls, 5 Minor Globe of Invulnerability scrolls, 4 more books to reshelf, and of course all the beds to make.

BWP20140607051.jpg

I breeze through everything, then ask for permission to go play with Imoen, like the other days.

BWP20140608003.jpg

I should have enjoyed my youth more than I did.

BWP20140608004.jpg

I should have appreciated Gorion's lessons more.

BWP20140608005.jpg

Because this is a dream, isn't it? A dream of memories. Good memories.

BWP20140608007.jpg

Useful memories.

Gorion.jpeg I know that you have done very well helping the mage Thalantyr with the scrolls that are constantly needing to be scribed, so I thought that it might be of use to you to actually see how magical scrolls are scribed. That is why I have asked Ms. Phlydia to be here.

On the other hand, I thought that it would also help you if you knew more about alchemy and the construction of magical concoctions. That is why I asked Brother Tethtoril here, as he is the resident expert on poltices and potions.

Gorion.jpeg As always, child, you have an important decision to make. What would you rather learn to do: make potions by using alchemy, or scribe scrolls like other mages or base thieves?

Gameplay note: I already have the Scribe Scroll ability as a level 11 mage, so this is a trivial decision.

BRKVQ.jpg I think that alchemy is something that is interesting to me. Can I try that?

Gorion.jpeg Very well then. Phlydia and I will excuse ourselves and we will leave you in Tethtoril's capable hands. Good luck, child.

#1290 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 06:51 AM

BWP20140608008.jpg

tethtoril2.jpg Listen well, for without knowledge, life is a mere shadow of death. I will fill you with that knowledge, so that it does not become harder on yourself, child.

tethtoril2.jpg I am going to teach thee the lessons of the art of alchemy. Here, I want you to take these vials of liquids and inspect them. Smell them, taste them, feel them.

tethtoril2.jpg Fear not, child, these have no magical properties and shall not harm or alter you in any manner. Once thy feels comortable with the properties of these elixirs, speak with me and we will continue the lesson.

I look at the 3 potions he's given me.

BWP20140608009.jpg

BWP20140608010.jpg

BWP20140608011.jpg

Then I talk to Tethtoril again.

BWP20140608012.jpg

tethtoril2.jpg Of course, of course. Here, child. Take these powders. This will be a simple exercise, but with these six fine powders you will mix them to create two powerful potions. I have laid out sheets of litmus - a special alchemist paper - upon the writing desks behind you. What you need to do is to put the powders on the paper so that the ingredients of the potions are correct. Do not worry about being incorrect; nothing will happen if you are, so there is no need to fear explosions or poisonous clouds.

tethtoril2.jpg Once you understand how these two potions are concocted, you will be able to produce any other potion that you wish. The properties of these example potions are the basis for all others. There are only six powders, and each is an ingredient of one of the two potions. By placing the powders on the table, you will come closer to the correct solution, but keep in mind that it may not be the most obvious solution.

tethtoril2.jpg You will have to figure out which powder goes in which potion, and I will tell you this - there is not necessarily the same number of ingredients in each potion. Understand, child, that I am a busy man. If you cannot figure out how these example potions are concocted, child, I will have to believe that you are not inclined to alchemy.

tethtoril2.jpg Good luck, child.

He gives me six powders, which I examine.

BWP20140608013.jpg

BWP20140608014.jpg

BWP20140608015.jpg

BWP20140608016.jpg

BWP20140608017.jpg

BWP20140608018.jpg

Then I see where he wants me to place the potion ingredients.

BWP20140608019.jpg

I would guess that Grape Rind and Nutmeg would create a Potion of Mind Focusing. I'm not sure about adding Poppy. That might make a Potion of Mind Unfocusing.

The other three spicy powders seem obviously part of a Potion of Fire Resistance. And then, perhaps Poppy should join them. It would numb the pain of the others.

So I put Grape Rind and Nutmeg in the litmus paper for Potion of Mind Focusing, and the other four in the litmus paper for the Potion of Fire Resistance. Tethtoril speaks.

BWP20140608020.jpg

tethtoril2.jpg There is nothing that I can say that will make this accomplishment greater for thee than thy own sense of pride.

Gameplay note: Sweet! Iron-manned it!

tethtoril2.jpg For now, child, I leave thee with the reminder that you must practice your skills at concocting potions. What you have just done is the basis for other potions, and you should be able to make just about any type you wish. Good night to you, young one.

tethtoril2.jpg Oh, yes... Just one more thing. Please take thse potions - they can help you with your daily chores. Use them wisely, Syvishtar...

With my newfound knowledge, I sleep the night away again.

Injbg.jpg

Sometimes I wonder what would have happened if I had just stayed in Candlekeep. So many powerful spellcasters about - Sarevok couldn't have stormed the place and killed me, could he? Then again, Gorion himself did think it best for us to leave the place...

BWP20140608021.jpg

The biggest question is why can't I wake up from this dream. It has been 3 days now in my dream, with no respite. Is this some kind of mental torture? Am I to be chored to death?

I check my pockets and realize that Tethtoril gave me 4 Potions of Speed! Sweet!

BWP20140608022.jpg

I go to find Gorion.

BWP20140608023.jpg

Gorion.jpeg Perhaps when you are a bit older, I will take you to some of the loveliest beaches and coasts in Faerun. But not today. You have chores to do.

Gorion.jpeg I see you have a Potion of Fire Resistance with you. I suppose you have mixed it yourself? Good boy! Always listen to what Tethtoril is telling you. He's a wise man and knows many interesting things. Can I borrow that potion from you? I need precisely this type. Reevor asked me for it yesterday. He's going to catch some fire beetles for the annual Nashkel Carnival, to make some fireworks - but I've run out of stock recently. I'll trade you another potion for it - one that you may find more useful...

BRKVQ.jpg Of course, father. Take it. I don't even know what to do with it yet...

Gorion.jpeg Thank you, child!

Gorion.jpeg I will see you later, young Syvishtar. I hope that Brother Dewey and Clarissa have good things to tell me about your performance when they report to me.

What he gives me is a Potion of Restoration. Wow!

BWP20140608024.jpg

I down my Potion of Haste and rush off to do my chores. This is more like it!

BWP20140608025.jpg

Gameplay note: I was walking at child speed before, which is like 1/2 normal speed. Now I walk at Hasted speed, which makes this all go a little faster.

BWP20140608026.jpg

It's 4 pails of milk, 4 books to be put away, 2 Protection from Magic, 3 Monster Summoning, and all the beds made again. Again.

BWP20140608027.jpg

scribe.jpg Ooookayy... I see you are in such a hurry... Perhaps you want to play with your sister a little longer today, yes? Hehe. Certainly, little one. This potion will help me to concentrate on my work, not paying attention to all those visitors who are just doing nothing except walking up and down the stairs making so much noise all around. If nobody will bother me I think I could make those copies faster. Come back in... eh, three hours. Yes, three hours.

It works on the other scribe too.

BWP20140608028.jpg

scribe.jpg What a nice idea, boy! You are making superb progress with your studies. Old Tethtoril sure knows his job... Okay, give me that potion, and come back in three hours. Your copies will be ready.

Ok old man!

I finish everything in record time, and by noon I'm out playing with Imoen.

BWP20140608031.jpg

It's good times, as always. She's really good at hiding!

BWP20140608032.jpg

#1291 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 06:52 AM

When we're done playing, the evening's lesson is with Hull again.

BWP20140608033.jpg

BWP20140608034.jpg

hull2.jpg Well met, again, kiddo. So, Gorion wants me to teach you how to do neat tricks when in combat, eh? So, what would you rather we practice: offense or defense?

Gameplay note: I get to choose here whether to learn Offensive Spin or Defensive Spin. I'm going to be on the defensive in melee more than the offensive, I'd say.

BRKVQ.jpg I'd rather learn how to do Defensive Spins.

hull2.jpg Fine by me. Let's get to it then. Arm yourself.

BWP20140608035.jpg

BWP20140608036.jpg

BWP20140608037.jpg

BWP20140608038.jpg

BWP20140608039.jpg

BWP20140608042.jpg

BWP20140608043.jpg

hull2.jpg Now, you've got to know that not all of your opponents will be using padded practice swords, and the steel of their blades will hurt if they hit you. Sometimes quite badly. But I think if you watch your opponents in battle like you just did against me, you'll do pretty well for yourself if you ever need to go into the trance-like Defensive Spin.

hull2.jpg I think that's enough training for today, kiddo. Why don't you go see if there's anything good happening in the Keep, and I'm heading to the barracks. I'll see you later.

So he does, and I do too. There is something good happening in the Keep, and that's my bed.

Injbg.jpg

The next day, I go to seek out Gorion like I usually do.

BWP20140608047.jpg

Gorion.jpeg Nothing that really concerns you, young Syvishtar. One of the scholars uncovered some lost prophecies, and we have been working much too long at deciphering Alaundo's meanings.

Gorion.jpeg Don't worry my son. It'll be a long time before the prophecy comes true; even if it does.

My throat constricts, tight with emotion. I grip the edges of my sleeves. Then I ask the question, even though I know the answer.

BRKVQ.jpg What is this prophecy, father?

Gorion.jpeg Child, you know the dangers of prophecy. I should not tell you, as it may affect the course of events.

It is much too late for that, dear father. Much, much too late.

BRKVQ.jpg Please, father, tell me. Maybe I know what it means.

Again the tears form in my eyes, unbidden.

Gorion.jpeg Ha! The innocence of youth. Good for you, my child. Very well, I will tell you this prophecy, but you must promise not to repeat it to others.

Gorion.jpeg Alaundo wrote: "Five will arise, leading their armies across the coast, slaughtering their siblings and innocents in a wave of massive destruction."

Gorion.jpeg "Like wildfire, panic will spread before the armies of the Five, and those supected of being Children will be cast out and reviled."

Gorion.jpeg "So long as the Throne of Blood stands empty... chaos shall reign."

Um... that's not the prophecy I was expecting. And that's not any prophecy I remember. Chills crawl down my spine. What's going on here?

My mouth forms the next words, without me willing them to do so. I feel like a puppet of someone else's will.

BRKVQ.jpg That's scary, father. What do you think it means?

Gorion.jpeg I don't know, child, but I hope I never find out.

Gorion.jpeg That's enough talk, my son. You have work to do.

I thought I remembered my childhood, but I don't remember that. What's going on here? Is this some kind of repressed memory?

I think about this as I go through my chores for the day on autopilot.

BWP20140608048.jpg

BWP20140608049.jpg

Gameplay note: I have all of my abilities this morning, for some reason. While milking the cows, I use Tracking. The results are surprising.

BWP20140608050.jpg

I find six red flowering plants near the wall.

BWP20140608052.jpg

I go and take the flowers to the cow.

BWP20140608053.jpg

BWP20140608054.jpg

After waiting for a little time...

BWP20140608055.jpg

I get everything else done, play with Imoen, and then see what Gorion has to teach me tonight.

Imoen hid in the central courtyard, by the way.

BWP20140608056.jpg

#1292 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 06:53 AM

Tonight's lesson is unusual.

BWP20140608057.jpg

We go to a secluded room, a place I don't remember ever going to before.

BWP20140608058.jpg

Gorion.jpeg Most importantly, you are very special to everyone in Faerun.

Gorion.jpeg You will come to understand this as you grow up, but it is not the time for you to be told, or know about, what is to come for you.

Gorion.jpeg You will face many trials in your life, and I pray to my god Lathander that you will choose the right path; make the right decisions; and lead a life of your own, not what others force you into.

Gorion.jpeg You may not always know what to do, you may not always understand the impact of the choices you make, and you may not always take the righteous path, but I want you to know that no matter what you do, I am immensely proud of you. My... my son.

BRKVQ.jpg Father? Are you all right?

Gorion.jpeg No, child. No I am not all right. I will be, but as of late, I feel as if events are out of my control. I do not like to feel this way, but I cannot avoid the future.

Gorion.jpeg Perhaps someday, my child... no, I cannot lie to you.

Gorion.jpeg Someday, definitely within my lifetime, you will be forced upon a course which will affect the entire Realms. I cannot forsee what will happen, but I know that it will have an impact greater than I, greater than the most powerful Magister, greater than perhaps even a god.

Gorion.jpeg That is why I have brought you here. To the lowest level of Candlekeep's main keep. Behind me are stairs leading to the catacombs, built in the days of Alaundo the Wise, our Founder, but you are not ready to go there now. Someday you will be.

Gorion.jpeg The crypts are carved out of the hard granite rock of Candlekeep's foundation, and above us sits the entire Keep, thousands of tons of rock and mortar. That is part of Alaundo's legacy, but more of his legacy are his prophecies. Those are not for you to know now, but you will learn some of them in time. When you learn of Alaundo's prophecies, I know I will not physically be with you, but I will always be with you in spirit.

Gorion.jpeg Before that day comes, I want to pass on something of my own that is more precious than any item, more precious than gold. I want to pass on to you something of my faith. My faith in the Eternal Powers of the Gods. One god in particular do I pay homage to - our great Morninglord: Lathander.

Gorion.jpeg Lathander is a good god. The god of renewal, creativity, and youth. He is celebrated and worshipped nearly everywhere. Lathander's followers are very popular throughout the Realms and you would do well to accept him into your heart and ask for his graces upon your countenance.

Gorion.jpeg My child, I want you to pray with me, pray to Lathander to smile upon thee, protect thee, and grant thee the wisdom to choose wisely throughout your life. Will you do this with me, my son?

If Gorion does it, that's good enough for me.

BRKVQ.jpg Yes, father. I would like it very much if Lathander blesses me as he does you.

Gorion.jpeg You bring joy to my tired old heart like no other, Syvishtar. I am pleased. Come, let us pray. Recite the prayer with me, and may Lathander bless you this, and every, day.

Gorion.jpeg Blessed be the light of Lathander, God of renewal, creativity, and youth.

BRKVQ.jpg Blessed be the light of Lathander, God of renewal, creativity, and youth.

Gorion.jpeg Your temples shine like a beacon of radiance throughout the land. Lathander ward us from the shadows of evil. We ask to be blessed by the beauty and glory of our Morninglord. Lathander is endless and without equal.

BRKVQ.jpg Your temples shine like a beacon of radiance throughout the land. Lathander ward us from the shadows of evil. We ask to be blessed by the beauty and glory of our Morninglord. Lathander is endless and without equal.

Gorion.jpeg Our God serves us well, in that He is constantly on vigil against Shadows. Your temple serves a further purpose towards Your end. Lathander keeps the Casters of Shadows from walking the land.

BRKVQ.jpg Our God serves us well, in that He is constantly on vigil against Shadows. Your temple serves a further purpose towards Your end. Lathander keeps the Casters of Shadows from walking the land.

Gorion.jpeg Know, good Morninglord, that when the brilliant rays of your countenance strike the earth and dawn flows across the land like music, we your humble servants offer this ritual that is pleasing to thee's brilliant eyes and ears. We disobey your tenets at our peril, and perform our prayers daily as only you, good Morninglord, have instructed.

BRKVQ.jpg Know, good Morninglord, that when the brilliant rays of your countenance strike the earth and dawn flows across the land like music, we your humble servants offer this ritual that is pleasing to thee's brilliant eyes and ears. We disobey your tenets at our peril, and perform our prayers daily as only you, good Morninglord, have instructed.

Gorion.jpeg We raise up our palms to thee in hopes that your Power shall bless us.

BRKVQ.jpg We raise up our palms to thee in hopes that your Power shall bless us.

Gorion.jpeg We reflect on thy's victory of your Light over the Darkness, knowing that those are the things that please thee.

BRKVQ.jpg We reflect on thy's victory of your Light over the Darkness, knowing that those are the things that please thee.

Gorion.jpeg Know, blessed Morninglord, that when thy Sun displays the marvel of thy work and rise high in the firmament above, we can only humbly offer this meager ritual which is pleasing to thine brilliant eyes and ears. We disobey your tenets at our peril, and perform our prayers daily as only you, good Morninglord, have instructed.

BRKVQ.jpg Know, blessed Morninglord, that when thy Sun displays the marvel of thy work and rise high in the firmament above, we can only humbly offer this meager ritual which is pleasing to thine brilliant eyes and ears. We disobey your tenets at our peril, and perform our prayers daily as only you, good Morninglord, have instructed.

Gorion.jpeg We let our voices sound the glorious songs of our Lord.

BRKVQ.jpg We let our voices sound the glorious songs of our Lord.

Gorion.jpeg We rejoice on thy glory of the light as it reigns supremely over the Darkness, knowing that those are the things that please thee.

BRKVQ.jpg We rejoice on thy glory of the light as it reigns supremely over the Darkness, knowing that those are the things that please thee.

Gorion.jpeg Know, our ever-renewing Lathander, that when the sun at last moves on and the foul darkness engulfs the land, we must offer this ritual that is pleasing to thine brilliant eyes and ears. We do this that you shall allow the Sun to rise again, as it has done in days past, as it did today, as it will tomorrow, now and forever more. We disobey your tenets at our peril, and perform our prayers daily as only you, good Morninglord, have instructed so that we may never live forever in darkness.

BRKVQ.jpg Know, our ever-renewing Lathander, that when the sun at last moves on and the foul darkness engulfs the land, we must offer this ritual that is pleasing to thine brilliant eyes and ears. We do this that you shall allow the Sun to rise again, as it has done in days past, as it did today, as it will tomorrow, now and forever more. We disobey your tenets at our peril, and perform our prayers daily as only you, good Morninglord, have instructed so that we may never live forever in darkness.

Gorion.jpeg We recite the Tenets of the Faith that they shall give you strength until you come again.

BRKVQ.jpg We recite the Tenets of the Faith that they shall give you strength until you come again.

Gorion.jpeg We hold high our children, your own Children, that they may longer see the glory of the Sun before it slips beyond this realm. We ask the Sun, your glory, to give them Your courage against the fears of the Night.

BRKVQ.jpg We hold high our children, your own Children, that they may longer se the glory of the Sun before it slips beyond this realm. We ask the Sun, your glory, to give them Your courage against the fears of the Night.

Gorion.jpeg Blessed be the morning light of Lathander.

BRKVQ.jpg Blessed be the morning light of Lathander.

Then something... happens to me.

BWP20140608059.jpg

Gorion.jpeg You have been honored by Lathander! Come, my son, come back up to the Keep with me.

Gorion.jpeg Do not let any others know of Lathander's blessing, for it is a private thing, meant only for you. Come, child, quickly.

#1293 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 06:53 AM

We go back up into the main area of the Keep.

BWP20140608060.jpg

Gorion.jpeg Most pleasing to me is the fact that you always try to accommodate the wishes and desires of those who care for you, and who love you.

Gorion.jpeg Syvishtar, I will always love you. Know that as you grow into your prime, as you truly become a man.

Gorion.jpeg But we will continue your studies and lessons another day. This day is done, and you should retire upstairs for the evening.

So I do.

Then, my vision seems to slip. Years slide by in but a moment. I am suddenly There again. On that night. The night when it all began. I see it all play out again, in front of my eyes.

BWP20140608061.jpg

BWP20140608062.jpg

BWP20140608063.jpg

BWP20140608064.jpg

BWP20140608065.jpg

BWP20140608066.jpg

BWP20140608067.jpg

I see Gorion die again. Even if I squeeze my eyes shut tight, I still see it happen.

But then my vision fades again, and I skip over time. I skip to the time I met Jaheira and Khalid.

BWP20140608069.jpg

Jaheira and Khalid the traitors!

d7Fxw.jpg G-good to know you..

ciOMn.jpg We are old friends of your adopted father. He is not with you? I must assume the worst; he would not permit his only child to wander without his accompaniment.

ciOMn.jpg If... if he has passed, we share your loss.

ciOMn.jpg Gorion often said that he worried for your safety, even at the expense of his own. He also wished that Khalid and I would become your guardians, if he should ever met an untimely end. However, you are much older now, and the choice of your companions should be your own.

d7Fxw.jpg We could t-travel with you until you get settled; help you find your l-lot in life.

ciOMn.jpg It would be a fitting last service to Gorion, though we should first to go Nashkel. Khalid and I... look into local concerns, and there are rumors of strange things happening at the mine. No doubt you have heard of the iron shortage? You would do well to help us. It affects everyone, including you. We are to meet the mayor of the town, Berrun Ghastkill.

I remember that conversation still. It was so long ago. Then my vision fades again, and I see yet another tableau.

BWP20140608070.jpg

Wait... that's not how it happened.

UQdpk.jpg Stand easy Minsc. They are to be trusted, for it was their valor that rescued me.

Where's Edwin?

2RuK7.jpg Then I am truly shamed. I could not prevent your capture, and strangers were your saviors. I present my head for the taking.

Where's Viconia?

UQdpk.jpg Now Minsc, that thick head is best left where it is, regardless of how little it is used. Thou shalt continue to accompany me as previously assigned. No doubt our new friends would welcome a warrior of thy... perseverance.

Blackness again, then a scene of Baldur's Gate.

BWP20140608071.jpg

And after that, I see Sarevok again.

BWP20140608072.jpg

That's... that's not what happened at all. What is this?

BWP20140608073.jpg

Is someone trying to alter my memories of past events?

BWP20140608074.jpg

Is someone trying to make me forget how the Weave helped me? Trying to make me forget the wild will of the Weave giving me ultimate supremacy over my brother, alone?

I don't know what to think. Some of these dreams I feel are real memories, and some are fake. Some I don't remember I had. Someone, or some THING, is messing with my head.

BWP20140608075.jpg

BWP20140608076.jpg

BWP20140608077.jpg

BWP20140608078.jpg

BWP20140608079.jpg

BWP20140608080.jpg

BWP20140608081.jpg

But yeah, that one was definitely real.

#1294 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 06:54 AM

Then the dreams seem to fade, and my eyes open. I immediately try to close them again, because what I see horrifies me. A strange man walks into a room filled with cages. A room that I am in. In a cage.

Another prisoner in another cage pleads with him. But he just throws magic as a response.

BWP20140608082.jpg

He kills the caged man!

BWP20140608083.jpg

Then, he walks over to me!

BWP20140608084.jpg

BWP20140608085.jpg

BWP20140608086.jpg

The pain overwhelms me, and I lose consiousness. When I come to again, he is still there.

BWP20140608088.jpg

BWP20140608089.jpg

I feel like a bug under Xzar's scrutiny. But he is interrupted from pulling off any of my limbs by a giant... rock... thing.

BWP20140608090.jpg

BWP20140608091.jpg

He doesn't even care that I can hear him.

BWP20140608092.jpg

Is he... going away? I hope he's going away.

BWP20140608093.jpg

Wait... what kind of complex necessitates Teleport to navigate? Unless, he was just doing it to show off?

Or maybe because its as normal to him as walking?

My gods, what IS he?

And where am I?

A little while later, I see movement. Someone is running this way! Rescue?!

BWP20140608094.jpg

No, not rescue. The poor fool disintegrates into a pile of ash.

Why can't I move? Why can't I cast?

Then I see more movement. This time a door opens. A figure in black and yellow moves. Is that... could it be... Imoen?!?!

BWP20140608096.jpg

wrtbm.jpg He messed with your head too, huh? All I know is we were near Baldur's Gate and got jumped.

wrtbm.jpg I don't think I want to remember it all. He's been... doing things... to us. Syvishtar, we have to get out of here!

BRKVQ.jpg Doing things? What do you mean?

wrtbm.jpg Come on, Syvishtar, don't make me think of it. He did the same to you, I think. I heard you screaming like it, anyway.

I... don't remember that.

BRKVQ.jpg We'll get out and then we'll figure out what's going on.

wrtbm.jpg Good, because I don't know if I could get loose again if I had to. Not with the pain in my head...

wrtbm.jpg It isn't like a normal pain, Syvishtar, it's on the inside, like my bones made a little dagger and it won't go away.

wrtbm.jpg Don't look at me like that, it just hurts, all right? Must have been the noise. There was a fight... assassins came after our captor, I think.

wrtbm.jpg There's people dead all over and the fighting is still going on. I could hear it. Are you going to get moving or do I leave without you?

BRKVQ.jpg Right you are. Let's go.

wrtbm.jpg Good, I didn't want to go by myself. I need you around, Syvishtar. Don't want to be here alone.

wrtbm.jpg We should look in that room to the west first, west and just a bit north. I think I saw some weapons in there. It's a room off the corner of this one.

wrtbm.jpg I don't think it's our gear. They probably sold our best stuff, but anything is better than nothing. Now let's go!

No sooner does she finish than a familiar screech reaches my ears.

No. No, it can't be.

Shar-Teel?!

BWP20140608097.jpg

Shar-Teel2.jpeg There's a low down, dirty son of a bitch around here somewhere needing to be taught a lesson about how not to take liberties with a girl's freedom!

Shar-Teel2.jpeg Sheesh... men are pathetic, just look at where trusting that one has brought us to.

wrtbm.jpg Keep your breeches on, I'll get to you in my own time! Hmm... looks like this lock is different to the other. Shame that, you're gonna just have to wait until another way is found... that is if Syvishtar here and me can spare the time to search around for it!

Shar-Teel2.jpeg Being here hasn't tempered your snooty disposition nor your manners, has it, thief? Come to think of it, it hasn't done a lot for your sense either, or you'd have left *him* to rot in his cage. What the heck, suit yourself, I'll not beg.

Gameplay note: Then, just in case I'm not yet ready to take control of my character and start the freakin' game, one more cutscene decides to play. It is really terrible so I'll try to condense it down for your reading pleasure.

BWP20140608098.jpg

mysterious-stranger-brown.jpg But how do we know it's capabilities?

mysterious-stranger-white.jpg We don't... It has to be tested. And properly. It'll be chaos if we fail.

mysterious-stranger-brown.jpg What do you have in mind?

mysterious-stranger-white.jpg ... There is one, a powerful individual, who could be used for this...

mysterious-stranger-brown.jpg Who?

mysterious-stranger-white.jpg ... Drizzt Do'Urden.

mysterious-stranger-brown.jpg What? Are you mad? He's dead.

mysterious-stranger-white.jpg ... He is not. I saved him.

mysterious-stranger-brown.jpg What!?

mysterious-stranger-white.jpg But it's good because now we can use him...

mysterious-stranger-brown.jpg Crystal Shard! Find Drizzt Do'Urden!

mysterious-stranger-white.jpg Wait!

mysterious-stranger-brown.jpg Intercept the spell!

Gameplay note: Some spell effects happen on the white glowy thingie. The screen shakes.

mysterious-stranger-white.jpg ... Wh-what happened?

mysterious-stranger-brown.jpg ... I don't know. The shard can no longer detect Drizzt.

mysterious-stranger-white.jpg Alright, but let's just forget him for now. Listen to my plan first.

mysterious-stranger-brown.jpg ... Alright. Speak.

mysterious-stranger-white.jpg We will create a region of terror in...

Gameplay note: Or a region of ellipses, whichever is more horrifying. Oh, also, dun dun DUNNNNN!

#1295 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 06:55 AM

Ok, Imoen said we should check out that room. Happy that she has opened my cage, I step out of it. But we don't go two steps before another prisoner speaks up.

BWP20140608118.jpg

Worgas.jpeg By the Madman's Eye!

Worgas.jpeg No time for conversations for my pretties!

Worgas.jpeg Yaaaaii! Oh, I am the one conversing now and wasting time!

BRKVQ.jpg Calm down, all that screaming will not improve the odds of finding whatever you said you searched for.

Worgas.jpeg I, Worgas, long for my pretties and need my levitating eyeball with many eyes on it.

BRKVQ.jpg I think this place has twisted your mind.

Worgas.jpeg Do not anger my pretties!

BRKVQ.jpg I didn't have that intention, just a fact that I noticd, that's all. If this eyeball exists then mayhaps our captor has taken it.

Worgas.jpeg Yiaaaaii! If so then he dies, NOW!

Worgas.jpeg Help me find the pretties and I can join your search for your captor and bury my hand deep in his head.

I can't DEAL with this right now. I have to get out of here!

BRKVQ.jpg I cannot dedicate myself to such madness.

Worgas.jpeg Humanoid skullsuckers! Mad is what you are and no value equal to the pretties.

Whatever, man.

We go into the room. There's a golem and a dog, both motionless. I eye them warily, sending a questioning glance to Imoen. She just shrugs, and then points out a trapped painting on the wall.

BWP20140608119.jpg

I look at the table, and pick up a ton of weapons, and a jail cell key.

BWP20140608121.jpg

I take a quarterstaff for myself and throw a short sword to Imoen. She catches it deftly. Then she checks the chest nearby, which holds some armor... and a Bag of Holding!

BWP20140608122.jpg

BWP20140608123.jpg

It's not OUR bag of holding, but it'll do. Imoen gives it to me and I shove everything inside. We can sort it all out later. Gotta get out.

Imoen fiddles with the painting for a bit and finds a secret nook behind it.

BWP20140608124.jpg

Behind there she finds a masterwork dagger, two more jail cell keys, three potions of healing, and some gloves. We now have 3 keys.

BWP20140608128.jpg

Gameplay note: These gloves are not really necessary with Throne of Bhaal Extender. They are designed to delete some spells from a cleric/ranger's spell list, because there are too many and they spilled off of the spellbook interface, back before they made the other mod to put scrollbars on the spellbook interface.

BWP20140608125.jpg

BWP20140608126.jpg

BWP20140608127.jpg

Jaheira is here? Why is she... how did she...

That traitor!

I think for a moment, and make a snap decision. Shar-Teel is coming with us. She's always good in a fight. But no one else. I couldn't give two shakes of a cow's tail about the rest of the prisoners here.

I tell Imoen. She opens Shar-Teel's cage.

BWP20140608129.jpg

Shar-Teel2.jpeg Then what are we waiting for... even now my hands itch to feel the sticky warmth as I tear his still-beating heart out of his chest, and wave it in front of his nose whilst watching his life's blood seep into the dirt.

wrtbm.jpg (*Her face pales*)... Please... keep your depraved fantasies to yourself!

So little of pleasantness...

I smile to myself and scan the room. One thing I know for sure, I am NOT going in the direction that the Disintegrate came from. Ooh, door!

BWP20140608131.jpg

I go through it, and am greeted with more eerie nonsense.

BWP20140608132.jpg

Is everyone in this place insane except me?

BRKVQ.jpg I'm no servant of your damned Master!

Silver-Star.jpeg If you are not with the Master, then you must be escaping. That sounds fine. I'm bored here. The Master has nothing new to show me. Please let me come with you.

BRKVQ.jpg Go away! You are crazy!

Silver-Star.jpeg May Talona watch over your path.

No sooner is that done, then a mysterious dog barks at me.

BWP20140608133.jpg

wrtbm.jpg Ouh, how cute, let's take this with us.

FINE. The dog can come now lets GET OUT OF HERE!!

Oooh, look, portal! I knew this would be easy!

BWP20140608134.jpg

Nope! Gotta go gotta go! I jump through the portal without another thought. That place creeps me out!

The world fades to black, the rush of water fills my ears, and then I find myself, we find ourselves, in a strange wood-lined room.

BWP20140608135.jpg

Shar-Teel2.jpeg (*Drawing her sword*)... Then it'll be my pleasure to leave the dogs on the floor lapping up their own blood!

wrtbm.jpg (*Noticeably a shade paler*)... I... I've seen enough blood thank you! Irenicus has the same fascination with it as you Shar-Teel... only he likes to share his depravity!

Irenicus? Is that the name of the mage who captured us?

Shar-Teel2.jpeg Still have a weak stomach then thief? You should have stayed in Candlekeep if you can't take the heat.

Gameplay note: Welcome one and all to a sidequest in the greatest and perhaps most-modded RPG of all time. Welcome, everyone, to ...

icewind-dale.png

Gameplay note: Bwahahahahahaha! I should say that I only brought Shar-Teel and Imoen because Shar-Teel is written for the mod and we will meet 3 more NPCs within this mod, and I wanted to let them join us without having to think about the logistics of us dismissing party members and telling them to meet us in a tavern 100 years in the future and 10,000 miles south of our current position.

#1296 Sergio

Sergio
  • 954 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 03:16 AM

Looking forward to more content. Thank you <3

Low hung brow, dazed look on your face..... It appears that you are correct, my friend. You are indeed a complete imbecile.

#1297 Huzzahfortimelines

Huzzahfortimelines
  • 15 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 06:50 AM

Jesus christ that quest must have been the worst. What sadist designed that? I'm surprised they didn't get you to hunt rats or something.

#1298 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 09:26 PM

BWP20140610001.jpg

?? ?????, ????

I still don't know the date. I don't know what to put in these journals. I hope I can back-date them after I figure it out. I also have no idea where we are, but at the moment nobody is trying to kill us, so I think now is a good time to sit back and enumerate our assets.

BWP20140610002.jpg

First, we've barely got any equipment at all. What am I supposed to do without my Robe of Apostrophes, my gloves of spellcasting, my amulet of Ulcaster? I'm ... I'm going to be *vulnerable* to *fire*! My bunnies will be able to hurt me! ME!

We snagged some random equipment in the guardroom next to the cells, if it was a guardroom. Some swords, maces, axes, all normal stuff. There are a few items I've not seen before, though. A dirk, a hatchet, a sabre, a horseman's flail, and a two-handed axe.

BWP20140610003.jpg

BWP20140610004.jpg

BWP20140610005.jpg

BWP20140610006.jpg

BWP20140610008.jpg

Shar-Teel is probably going to go for the normal two-handed sword, so these other weapons we can probably ignore.

I pass out equipment to Imoen and Shar-Teel. Imoen keeps her masterwork dagger and also takes a small buckler. I give her one of the healing potions. Surprisingly, she also slips on the Studded Leather Armor. I ask her if that won't keep her from casting spells, and she says that it will just slow her down a bit.

BWP20140610009.jpg

Gameplay note: In this version of the game, armors come with an Arcane Casting Time Penalty rather than completely preventing you from casting spells. Studded Leather Armor's penalty is only +2. Nice!

Imoen looks like she's ready for a fight, but I'm not sure how long she can stay in it. We're going to have to find somewhere to rest and memorize spells soon.

BWP20140610010.jpg

I give Imoen a once-over, to make sure she's alright. She looks... different.

BWP20140610011.jpg

Gameplay note: This version of the BWP install doesn't have Charming Rogue for her thief class, so she is missing out on some thief ability points. But otherwise she's just the same as before. Her new character portrait belies increased cynicism, though. We have failed to protect her innocent mindset.

Then I look over Shar-Teel. She has taken up chainmail, a helmet, and a two-handed sword. She also gets a healing potion.

BWP20140610012.jpg

She looks different too. She looks like she's seen a lot. I ask her what happened since we, uh, last saw each other. She simply states that she is a Firewalker now.

BWP20140610014.jpg

Gameplay note: It sounds like a cool class and is especially designed for the mod, so I see no reason to change it.

I stare at her in disbelief. I must have rubbed off on her. I guess... I guess she was paying more attention to me than I thought?

BWP20140610017.jpg

Shar-Teel, a fireball thrower? This does not bode well for mankind.

I sit down with Imoen and we take a look at our spellbooks. I feel quite frustrated, for I can only memorize 5 first-level spells.

BWP20140610018.jpg

Imoen can only do 4!

BWP20140610019.jpg

I check my second-level spells. The story there is just as bad.

BWP20140612001.jpg

Only 5 spells that I can memorize.

Gameplay note: If you will remember, to kill Sarevok with bunnies I memorized 15 Summon Wild Horde spells at level two. Then they were used up and refreshed twice. So I threw 45 level two spells at him. Now, in contrast, I have 5. And if the same set of event happened, where I used up all 5 of my second level spells and got them refreshed twice, I'd still only be able to cast as much as I used to be able to memorize without breaking a sweat back in Baldur's Gate. My power has been drastically reduced.

We are going to have some serious problems. Also, we are going to need to rest before we can do anything useful. I hope Shar-Teel can handle any combat we have until we get to shelter.

I've only got a single stick of wood in my hands, for the Weave's sake!

BWP20140610020.jpg

But at least I feel smarter.

BWP20140612002.jpg

Gameplay note: The Robe of Dh'arlo'me, which Syvishtar used to wear, set both his INT and WIS to 19. This raised his wisdom, of course, but actually decreased his intelligence. Now with his Sun Elf bonus and all the INT tomes he read in BG1, he's got 22 int. Godly in 2nd Edition DnD is 25. He's almost there!

Imoen notices a couple odds and ends on the shelves nearby. Another potion and some scrolls on one, and on the other a dagger and some gems.

BWP20140610022.jpg

I give myself the Chromatic Orb scroll, and Imoen the Sleep scroll. I feel much better now. Not total arcane drain. We pocket the gems and dagger - may be good to sell.

Then we cautiously head down the stairway. We are met full-force with foreign depravity!

BWP20140610024.jpg

pomab.jpg Am I now? I do not think so. All of you northerners are the same to me. Smelly and barbaric.

BRKVQ.jpg Northerners? I take it we are far away from the south.

pomab.jpg I told you you're barbarians. And of course you're far away from the south.

pomab.jpg Your poor attempt at sarcasm is an obvious sign of your lowly birth. I'll have you know that I am third cousin to the Pasha himself! Not to mention a royal courtier in good standing.

BRKVQ.jpg My apologies. I did not mean to offend.

pomab.jpg Yes, well... where I am from, one would normally be beaten for such insolence. Be thankful that I am merciful man. Now, what can I do for you?

BRKVQ.jpg I'd like to see what you have for sale.

By selling all of our extra weapons and the gems we found upstairs, we have enough to buy a shortbow and some arrows for Imoen and some darts for myself. Whew. Now only Shar-Teel has to be on the front lines!

BWP20140610025.jpg

Shar-Teel2.jpeg What's one less male? Besides, if all the males here are as arrogant as that one, we'd be doing this town a favor!

Whatever. I look around the shop.

BWP20140610026.jpg

Well, let's go outside and see where we are, then!

As I step outside, the light is almost blinding. Snow!

BWP20140610028.jpg

We appear to be in a little northern town near the water.

BWP20140610029.jpg

We check the easily-accessible signs and come up with a crude map drawing of the place.

BWP20140612003.jpg

The Snowdrift Inn seems like just what we need right now. We head there first.

BWP20140612004.jpg

townsperson_easthaven.jpg Whoa, now... didn't mean any offense. Just speaking my mind is all. Sorry if it came out wrong.

BRKVQ.jpg In the future, keep the few thoughts you possess to yourself. Now farewell.

The NERVE of some people!

We enter the inn and find a very, very happy innkeeper.

BWP20140612006.jpg

quimby.jpg Ah! Enthusiastic! Yes! It is rare that I get any travelers at this time of year. Thus, I want all of my guests to feel WELCOME! Ha-HA!

BRKVQ.jpg Do you ge ANY travelers at this time of year?

quimby.jpg We do have one! Ha-HA! Yes, his name is Erevain something or another. He is an elf AND an adventurer to boot!

BRKVQ.jpg Did he bring any interesting news with him?

quimby.jpg Actually, yes. The whole town's been talking about the upcoming expedition into the Spine of the World. Excitement!

The Spine of the World? That's... that's incredibly far north. We're not near there are we?

BRKVQ.jpg Really? Tell me more about this expedition.

quimby.jpg Well, Hrothgar no doubt will be leading the expedition. I've heard that Accalia, the initiate at the temple, is going, though I suppose Everard will stay behind to minister to the town. There's a dwarf named Hilreth who's going along as well, and even Pomab has agreed to go! Ah, what a grand adventure it will be!

BRKVQ.jpg That's interesting. How about a room, Quimby?

Looks like we're going to be able to stay here for about 11 days with Quimby's prices.

BWP20140612007.jpg

I gotta find us some work. Maybe this expedition needs some extra hands?

At any rate, time to rest.

#1299 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 09:27 PM

But I can't rest. I lay awake, trying to remember how long it has been since I was captured. I was with Finch, with Xan, Imoen and Kagain and Kivan. Only Imoen is with me now, and somehow I've stumbled into Shar-Teel's path again. Where are the others? Where am I? I'm supposed to be back in Baldur's Gate in a month! Unless, has it already been a month? What if I missed my own return date? What if the Golden Company has fallen apart in my absence?

Eventually, I slip into a fitful sleep.

Injbg.jpg

We wake up the next morning and go into the common room, where a cheery and warm fire is burning. On the wall I read a cheery sign that says "Welcome to Easthaven." So that's where we are? Standing beside the fire, bedecked in the golden elven chainmail that I until recently used for Golden Company uniforms, stands Erevain Blacksheaf.

BWP20140612009.jpg

erevain-blacksheaf.jpg When I set out from Evereska, I was used to a peaceful life. I had no idea what wonders and horrors the life of adventure would bring to my ever-changing doorstep. I'm glad I didn't go on the Retreat twenty years ago.

Evereska? Xan is from Evereska! I wonder if he knows him?

BRKVQ.jpg Do you know of any other adventurers in Easthaven?

erevain-blacksheaf.jpg Yes. I've heard the locals are forming an expedition into the Kuldahar Pass to investigate some problems there. I won't be going with them, though I may pass through the area.

BRKVQ.jpg Interesting. Have any information to share?

erevain-blacksheaf.jpg Well, I haven't heard any rumors lately. However, when I traveled through Kuldahar, I had a strange feeling about something in that valley. It's more than just the weather that bothered me. Something seemed amiss in the mountains, the trees, even the clouds in the sky. Something was out of place. Something was... wrong.

BRKVQ.jpg Interesting. Thanks for the advice. Farewell.

The Kuldahar Pass. Easthaven. I've never heard of these places. And they've never been on any map I've studied before.

Gameplay note: It's true. The Spine of the World area geography is neglected in 2nd edition DnD. I can't even find Easthaven on any map resource online.

Maybe I'll be able to figure out where we are by finding out how long the expedition is expected to take to get to the Spine of the World. I'll have to ask that Hrothgar fellow if I see him. Maybe people at Winter's Cradle Tavern know where he is?

BWP20140612010.jpg

Gameplay note: As I enter the tavern, an acoustic guitar version of Greensleeves begins playing, and I'm treated to a chapter scroll.

BWP20140612011.jpg

BWP20140612014.jpg

Hrothgar.jpeg Well then, welcome to Easthaven. Whatever your business in these parts might be, I would offer you this small piece of advice: while you're in my town, you'd do well to be on your best behavior.

Hrothgar.jpeg These folk are under my protection, and anyone who would seek to do harm to them in any way shall answer to me.

Hrothgar.jpeg That said, I'll let you get back to your cups. I'm sure you've had a long journey, and you'll find there's no better way to shake off the cold of the road than by downing a few mugs of Grisella's best.

Hrothgar.jpeg And if you're in need of lodging, I would recommend talking to Quimby over at the Snowdrift Inn, over on the east side of town.

Hrothgar.jpeg Equipment and supplies can be purchased next door at Pomab's Emporium. Pomab's prices are a bit high - even for a Calimshite, but you'd be better off well-equipped and short of coin than the other way around. Ill-prepared travelers don't last long in these parts.

Hrothgar.jpeg Once you've had a chance to rest up and get your bearings, come by and see me at my house. It's just a couple doors west of here. Thre's some business I would discuss with you. Farewell.

BRKVQ.jpg Farewell.

So do they pay him to talk like that, or what? If he won't stop to answer my questions, maybe I'll get this random townsperson to do so.

BWP20140612015.jpg

townsperson-easthaven-tavern.jpg Aye, that's his name. Queer-looking sort. Just came in a few days ago.

BRKVQ.jpg Yes, we've met. I had some questions about Easthaven that perhaps you could answer.

townsperson-easthaven-tavern.jpg Easthaven? Lived here for quite a span, I have. Things have been getting worse of late, though.

BRKVQ.jpg Do you mean the weather?

townsperson-easthaven-tavern.jpg Aye, the weather's been going from bad to worse. Never seen it get so cold this early in the year, and there's no sign of it letting up. With all this snow, the passes to the south are going to get snowed in early.

Oh crap. I probably need to get through those passes.

BRKVQ.jpg Can you tell me a little about the town?

townsperson-easthaven-tavern.jpg Well, there's the Temple of Tempus, that huge blue-glassed structure to the northwest, run by Everard. Hear tell, Everard's the one who saw that messenger from Kuldahar, if you can believe it. Fellow died right on his doorstep.

BRKVQ.jpg Messenger?

townsperson-easthaven-tavern.jpg Aye, some fellow from Kuldahar just collapsed on the threshold of the Temple, all bloody. Surprised he made it as far as he did - no one knows what he wanted, except maybe Hrothgar and Everard.

BRKVQ.jpg Any other places I should see while I'm here?

townsperson-easthaven-tavern.jpg You might pay a visit to the scrimshander, Apsel, down to the southwest. He's got some nice pieces of art, if you like that sort of thing.

BRKVQ.jpg What's a scrimshander?

townsperson-easthaven-tavern.jpg A fishbone carver. Apsel carves the bones of knucklehead trout into little sculptures and such. Fetch a nice price down south, they do.

BRKVQ.jpg Do you know where I can find Hrothgar's house?

townsperson-easthaven-tavern.jpg Hrothgar's house is in the center northern part of town - it's the one with the gaps in the overhang. Hrothgar swears he's going to fix it, but I'll believe *that* when I see it. He's always running around trying to take care of everyone else. Why you going to see him, anyway? Planning to join his expedition?

BRKVQ.jpg Expedition?

townsperson-easthaven-tavern.jpg Yeah, word is Hrothgar's been so rattled by that messenger from Kuldahar collapsing dead at the front door of the Temple of Tempus that he wants to put together a band to go see what's going on down south.

DOWN SOUTH. That's the direction I want to go! Score!!

So we're *north* of the Spine of the World. This may very well be further from Candlekeep than I've ever been.

BRKVQ.jpg What did this messenger say?

townsperson-easthaven-tavern.jpg Damned if I know. Only Everard over at the temple and Hrothgar would know for sure, I suppose. Still, if it's enough to get the two of them riled up... can't be good.

BRKVQ.jpg Anything else?

townsperson-easthaven-tavern.jpg Well, there's been sighting of some goblins and such in the Pass, if you can believe that. They usually hole up in the Spine of the World and kill each other. Some fool claimed he even saw some orcs outside of town, but I'll wait until he sobers up before giving *that* tale any weight.

BRKVQ.jpg I must take my leave. Farewell.

What a surprisingly talkative and informative random townsperson. Why can't they all be so helpful?

Ok, so we are currently north of the Spine of the World, and need to go south through the passes to get anywhere important. I sketch up a quick map of the relevant areas from memory and...

forgotten-realms-map.jpg

Yep. I'm about 1,000 miles north of Candlekeep, give or take a mountain range. New record!

#1300 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 09:28 PM

I survey the room and see another interesting character - what can only be a dwarf. I walk over to introduce myself.

BWP20140612017.jpg

hildreth-highhammer.jpg Do ye not have yer head screwed on straight? I AM a female, friend.

BRKVQ.jpg But... you have a beard.

hildreth-highhammer.jpg What, do I nay look like a wo... oh. I see what it is now. Dwarven women have beards, friend.

BRKVQ.jpg Ah, that makes sense. Say, have you hard any news from around here lately?

hildreth-highhammer.jpg I'm not all eyes and ears here. Mostly I've been keeping to my cups to keep the chill away. But I have heard that a local sword named Hrothgar is putting together some sort of expedition. Sounds like it might be fun. I'll be goin' along meself.

BRKVQ.jpg Oh? What do you know about the expedition?

hildreth-highhammer.jpg The folks 'round here say that Hrothgar be a valiant man, but not the type to go dashing off to his death. They say he be an excellent leader. We're headed up to the mountains to investigate some sort of disturbance up there. Ye'd best be talkin' to Hrothgar himself to hear the full story.

BRKVQ.jpg Well, if you're going it must be a good trip. You seem like a seasoned adventurer. Farewell for now.

Then I finally get around to talking to the barkeep, a pretty young thing named Grisella.

BWP20140612019.jpg

grisella.jpg A drink? Of course, dearie. After all, this is a tavern... plenty to drink here, heh heh.

BRKVQ.jpg Heh, heh. Yes, indeed.

grisella.jpg Yes, well... you see I'm in a bit of a bind right now. I've just run out of everything. I've nothing to offer you in the way of drink at this moment.

BRKVQ.jpg You've run out of everything?

grisella.jpg Well, the tavern hasn't run completely dry. I do have some stock down in the cellar, but...

BRKVQ.jpg But what?

grisella.jpg This is rather embarrassing... but, I'm having somewhat of a pest problem down in that dirty ol' cellar and I'm afraid to go down there. I do so hate bugs! Just the thought of those nasty creepies and crawlies sends shivers down my spine.

BRKVQ.jpg I see. Is there anything I can do to help?

grisella.jpg That's awfully sweet of you, dearie. But, I don't expect you to go to any trouble on my account. I'm sure I'll think of something.

I, uh... really, really need some money.

BRKVQ.jpg I could see to your pest problem... for a price, of course.

grisella.jpg Hmm. I suppose I could scrape together a couple of coins as payment for such a service. Let's see... how about five gold? Would that do, dearie?

Five. Gold.

BRKVQ.jpg It'll do, though it's hardly a fair sum for such a service.

grisella.jpg Wonderful! The stairs to the cellar are in the back room. Now you be careful down there, dearie, and don't let any of those little buggers creep back up here, alright?

BWP20140612021.jpg

Oh, how the mighty have fallen.

Gameplay note: Might as well call it here as anywhere. There has been some thread discontent with Shar-Teel's current picture. So, if you want, we can vote on a new one. Which picture would you like to have for Shar-Teel?

A. shar-teel-original.jpg Pure mod-authored.
B. sharteel1.jpg Same as before.
C. sharteel2.jpg Hi-res strength and grace.
D. sharteel3.png Little of pleasantness.
E. another suggestion I will include in my post.