How to install BWP for newbies (and up)

big world project guide manual installation noob newb

• Please log in to reply
229 replies to this topic

#61 ShadowTek

ShadowTek
  • 134 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 11:42 AM

This has become quite the common issue lately, so if you are looking at this thread now, congrats, I have instalation instructions for using the GOG.com version!!!!! I also have a fix for one of the most common issues of the installation process, ya know, that looping BG1 Patch Check screen? I got a fix for that. What follows is a miniguide for using the GOG.com version:

(ShadowTek: Please add the below, exact [or somewhat adjusted formatting], below the Prepare section. Please also mention that the textscreen music is only needed if you are doing a BGT installation.)

Best version to install if you don't have the original CDS (a GOG subguide)

If you don't have your original CDS for Baldur's Gate (1 and/or 2), simply use the version found on GOG.com. Search for Baldur's Gate, and get the second game, and if you want a full installation, the first game as well. It's only $10 to get one, and $20 to get both games, making this a deal if you want to get started easily.

It dosen't matter which directory you install either game to, heck, you can install to it's default name (Baldurs Gate II), it dosen't have to be "BGII - SoA". Only one mod requires you to install BGII to that directory, and that is an expert mod anyway, so the directory name does not matter.

You do need this modified BiG World Install.bat, which is attached as a ZIP file. Unpack that after you unpack everything else, and allow BiG World Install.bat to be overwritten. The main reason why: There is a borked check that checks for a file present in GOG BGII but not original BGII. That, however, is borked, as that file does not exist in GOG BGI nor original BGI. This file fixes the broken check to point to a file that exists in all GOG games (goggame.dll), but does not exist in the original versions. The fixed version also fixes an issue with the installer attempting to NoCD the GOG version, which dosen't need a CD to run anyway.

If you want to fix this yourself, in the bat, replace lines 20-21 with this:

SET GOG=%IF% goggame.dll
SET NGOG=%IFN% goggame.dll

And replace lines 3370-3382 with this:

%NMAC% %NGOG% %IF% NoCD.exe %TXT%@91
%.%
%.%
%.%
%.%
%.%
%.%
%.%
%.%
%.%
%.%
%NMAC% %NGOG% %IF% NoCD.exe pause
%NMAC% %NGOG% %IF% NoCD.exe NoCD.exe | %M%

With these changes, you can skip to Step 2 of the guide and go from there. Be sure to configure the game before you run the installation bat, else, the installation hangs.

Thanks man!! You got it!!

EDIT: Ok I added your guide! Thanks! Many will find that very helpful, I added the attached file below that section.

EDIT2: Updated changelog and updated guide version, added your txtmusic notes.

Edited by ShadowTek, 15 January 2012 - 12:12 PM.

---------------------------------------------------------------
My Guides:
1. How to install BWP for newbies My Guide for Spellhold on installing the BWP Mega-mod.
2. How to Install Infinity Animations for newbies My step by step guide to installing this must have mod.

Main Stuff for BWP:
1. FAQ for the Megamods The Main Megamod FAQ
2. BiG World Project The Mega Mod Installer
3. BWP Mod List The most up to date Mod list for BWP installs

Cool Stuff:
1. Baldur's Gate Trilogy - This mod alows you to play BGI in the BG ToB engine
2. Throne of Bhaal Extender This mod adds new functions to BGT games
3. All Infinity Animations Mods This mod adds new animations to the game.
4. Widescreen Mod This mod allows you to play BGT in widescreen mod
5. Generalized Biffing This mod will speed up your game allot

#62 William Imm

William Imm

Obsessive Penguin Lover

• 486 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 01:21 PM

Even with the GOG version, you should still start up each game and make saves to finish the installation.

So the last sentice in the GOG subguide should read:

"With these changes, you can skip Step 1 of the guide and go from there. Be sure to configure the game before you run the installation bat, else, the installation hangs.
At this point, I'm not really doing much Baldur's Gate related. More focused on Skyrim modding and the Born of Legend tabletop roleplaying game. Don't expect much activity here.

#63 William Imm

William Imm

Obsessive Penguin Lover

• 486 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 03:09 PM

Until the installpack gets updated, please change the guide to point to this Installpack fix, and remove the "fix this yourself" part as well. When it does and it includes my fix, remove the fix link.
At this point, I'm not really doing much Baldur's Gate related. More focused on Skyrim modding and the Born of Legend tabletop roleplaying game. Don't expect much activity here.

#64 -Baekin-

-Baekin-

Posted 15 January 2012 - 11:53 PM

Following the links you have posted, Weidu for windows is not available. It comes up with a message that the file is not found on the server. Does this mean it will not be possible to use Bwp?

#65 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 01:26 AM

@ShadowTek: It would be wise to update the WeiDU link in the OP to point to thebigg's (mini)page ;) That site you linked to lists v229 as the latest version while v231 is out :D

"I am the smiley addict, yellow and round, this is my grin :D when I'm usually around :P.
When there's trouble brewing, see me post, cuz it's usually a wall o' yellow and your eyes are toast!!!"

BWP GUIDE - BWP FIXES - impFAQ - NPC LIST - KIT LIST - AREA LIST

GitHub Links : BWP Fixpack | Lolfixer | BWP Trimpack | RezMod

#66 ShadowTek

ShadowTek
  • 134 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 05:06 PM

Hi everyone, will do.. updating now..

EDIT:

Even with the GOG version, you should still start up each game and make saves to finish the installation.

So the last sentice in the GOG subguide should read:

"With these changes, you can skip Step 1 of the guide and go from there. Be sure to configure the game before you run the installation bat, else, the installation hangs.

DONE!

Until the installpack gets updated, please change the guide to point to this Installpack fix, and remove the "fix this yourself" part as well. When it does and it includes my fix, remove the fix link.

DONE! Pointed to your thread. That way if you make any changes it points to the thread.. and any instructions that may be needed..

@ShadowTek: It would be wise to update the WeiDU link in the OP to point to thebigg's (mini)page That site you linked to lists v229 as the latest version while v231 is out

and DONE! Linked to the link you provided :) Thanks!!

Edited by ShadowTek, 16 January 2012 - 05:18 PM.

My Guides:
1. How to install BWP for newbies My Guide for Spellhold on installing the BWP Mega-mod.
2. How to Install Infinity Animations for newbies My step by step guide to installing this must have mod.

Main Stuff for BWP:

Cool Stuff:

#67 ShadowTek

ShadowTek
  • 134 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 05:56 PM

Guide V 1.1

1. removed two steps and consolidated some things, Removed last two steps (one was your done... pointless, one step was just defrag, moved to speed up your game)

2. Added member suggestions

3. Went through guide and change comments to be more professional.

4. Removed all personal opinions from guide as I want this to be a professional spellhold studios guide.

5. Removed redundant comments (where I babbled, allot removed lol).

6. Removed unnecessary notes.

7. Many other small changes...

The guide is a somewhat smaller now as much unneeded stuff and pointless comments were removed, its allot more refined now and to the point.

If you see things I posted that could be explained better then I did, or find a personal opinion I posted that I missed, or have any suggestions on making this guide more streamlined and to the point, please let me know.. Also note that I plan to add "Tactical" mods to the guide eventually as so far, other then making a tactical install.. Im not so sure that a "T" mod is actually somthing a newbie cant also include, as the tactical install Ive made seems to be fine (with no personal edits) post your opinion on this..

NOTES FOR THE FUTURE: Now, though at the moment expert mods can never be included in this guide, eventually a addon sections can be added, for example, if/when I add a tactical install section, it will be a "Addon" but the addon will not be for newbies.. (It will say for persons wishing to make a Tactical install, see section xx) it will be for intermediate installers. Im getting really familiar with a "Tactical" install.. Ive been doing my homework :)

Eventually it would be nice to add expert mods as well (not in the newbie area, but as a addon as mentioned above) so that eventually this can be THE guide to use.. of course if this guide ever goes that way with these addons, it will be you experienced members that will be more involved then me.. but the guide MUST mention the edits necessary per expert mod. However I can never add this area until I personally understand expert mods and how to install them, as Im now learning tactical mods as anything added to this guide I want to fully understand as best I can before instructing others.. though I CAN say Im getting close to that for tactical mods.. (give me another week or two lol)

Eventually it would be nice to have the guide called "BWP Install for Newbies, Intermediates and Experts" But that of course is a ways off..

Edited by ShadowTek, 16 January 2012 - 06:39 PM.

My Guides:

Main Stuff for BWP:

Cool Stuff:

#68 ShadowTek

ShadowTek
  • 134 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 07:49 PM

Changed the post topic to "Big World Project(BWP) Install 101 For Newbies" as the other topic name was rather "un-telling" so to speak.
My Guides:

Main Stuff for BWP:

Cool Stuff:

#69 -qazadex-

-qazadex-

Posted 16 January 2012 - 08:36 PM

Should I just get all the mods that are S and R? Because It would take quite a long time to find out what every mod does, especially when I've never played the game before.

#70 ShadowTek

ShadowTek
  • 134 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 08:53 PM

Should I just get all the mods that are S and R? Because It would take quite a long time to find out what every mod does, especially when I've never played the game before.

Yes stick to "R" and "S" mods, though you dont have to get them all lol, read what they do and decide what you want, if you want to see for example what I have installed:

Spoiler

But for what its worth, Ive found that installing the core BP mod (a tactical mod) is a good choice, and also grap the BP-series of ai scripts, but thats only if you are comfy trying that.. but just pick tactical install rather then standard if you do that.. I have seen no difference from installing this mod.. with a tactical install, vs my guide.. (I'll be updating my guide for tactical mods soon)

In any case NO don't get every "S" and "R" mod, look at them and see what you want as some of them are super game breaking items, or some such.. look them over.. My advice.. get all the BIG mods (there labeled so) for BGI and BGII, get all the mods in my sig under cool stuff, get BGII tweaks, get item revision mod, get spell revision mod, pick a few NPC's (not one day npcs if you want quests) and roll with that.. that will give you one massive game :)
My Guides:

Main Stuff for BWP:

Cool Stuff:

#71 -qazadex-

-qazadex-

Posted 16 January 2012 - 09:00 PM

Yes stick to "R" and "S" mods, though you dont have to get them all lol, read what they do and decide what you want, if you want to see for example what I have installed:

Spoiler

But for what its worth, Ive found that installing the core BP mod (a tactical mod) is a good choice, and also grap the BP-series of ai scripts, but thats only if you are comfy trying that.. but just pick tactical install rather then standard if you do that.. I have seen no difference from installing this mod.. with a tactical install, vs my guide.. (I'll be updating my guide for tactical mods soon)

In any case NO don't get every "S" and "R" mod, look at them and see what you want as some of them are super game breaking items, or some such.. look them over.. My advice.. get all the BIG mods (there labeled so) for BGI and BGII, get all the mods in my sig under cool stuff, get BGII tweaks, get item revision mod, get spell revision mod, pick a few NPC's (not one day npcs if you want quests) and roll with that.. that will give you one massive game :)

Thanks for this information (as well as the guide!). I'll look into those mods.

#72 ShadowTek

ShadowTek
  • 134 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 11:21 PM

Utterly deleted my second and third posts under my guide, transfered any important info to last section of guide.. renamed the two posts for tactical and expert mod install. It actually removes all redundant info, and makes way for tactical and expert future guide addons..

Now building Tactical install add-on.. note that once the "Tactical" addon is added and added to main guide, all tactical instructions will be of a unique color, these steps posted in these unique colors will be clearly defined and explained to newbies to ignor, and that only if you are a intermediate player with some skill, should a tactical install be attempted.

Edit: see two posts directly below my main guide post to see exactly what Im doing.. and how I will be implementing these addons..

Edited by ShadowTek, 17 January 2012 - 12:26 AM.

My Guides:

Main Stuff for BWP:

Cool Stuff:

#73 William Imm

William Imm

Obsessive Penguin Lover

• 486 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 09:56 AM

One tiny thing - YOUR DONE at the end should be YOU'RE DONE.

#74 Fouinto

Fouinto
  • 458 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 11:07 AM

[...]
If you see things I posted that could be explained better then I did, or find a personal opinion I posted that I missed, or have any suggestions on making this guide more streamlined and to the point, please let me know.. Also note that I plan to add "Tactical" mods to the guide eventually as so far, other then making a tactical install.. Im not so sure that a "T" mod is actually somthing a newbie cant also include, as the tactical install Ive made seems to be fine (with no personal edits) post your opinion on this..

NOTES FOR THE FUTURE: Now, though at the moment expert mods can never be included in this guide, eventually a addon sections can be added, for example, if/when I add a tactical install section, it will be a "Addon" but the addon will not be for newbies.. (It will say for persons wishing to make a Tactical install, see section xx) it will be for intermediate installers. Im getting really familiar with a "Tactical" install.. Ive been doing my homework :)
[...]

My point of view : As I have told you (well, I guess it was you), Tactics and/or Expert change only minor point in your guide...
The "only" problems are those :
  • if you install Tactics mod you WILL have some difficult battles (especially if you have installed all tactics mods),
  • if you install Expert mod you WILL encounter problems during the game (some of them require IE knowledge to fix them). And THIS is a big problem for most of us.
But these points has nothing to do with a guide explaining with simple steps how to install a BWP megamod. All steps are quite the same.

#75 ShadowTek

ShadowTek
  • 134 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 11:29 AM

One tiny thing - YOUR DONE at the end should be YOU'RE DONE.

Thanks, fixed!
My Guides:

Main Stuff for BWP:

Cool Stuff:

#76 -Ashannon-

-Ashannon-

Posted 17 January 2012 - 04:20 PM

Minor issue... Step 5b... I'm having that issue now upon a re-install. The link you gave just re-directs back to the main menu so not really useful. Could you please fix that?

#77 William Imm

William Imm

Obsessive Penguin Lover

• 486 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 04:38 PM

Minor issue... Step 5b... I'm having that issue now upon a re-install. The link you gave just re-directs back to the main menu so not really useful. Could you please fix that?

Use this link instead.

#78 -Ashannon-

-Ashannon-

Posted 17 January 2012 - 04:54 PM

Damn William, you are good... thanks for the quick reply... but it's still doing it. Anything special to do with these files?

Edited by Ashannon, 17 January 2012 - 05:00 PM.

#79 William Imm

William Imm

Obsessive Penguin Lover

• 486 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 06:08 PM

Damn William, you are good... thanks for the quick reply... but it's still doing it. Anything special to do with these files?

Just unpack them into the Baldur's Gate 1 directory - it should extract the files into it's Overide directory.

By the way - you are using the GOG version, right, or is this the origional CD version?

#80 Ztartrax

Ztartrax
  • 667 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 06:54 PM

I´ve installed the BWP and wanted to start a new game, the only thing happens is this message:

ToBEx Console

ToBEx: Throne of Bhaal Extender Build 0.21.11.6 (Wed 18 jan 03:34:13)

Then nothing else. How do I start a new game or do I have to change some settings or anything first?

/Z

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: big world project, guide, manual installation, noob, newb