• Please log in to reply
1123 replies to this topic

#961 Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus

Drama Queen

• 132 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:48 PM

Another patch released today. http://forum.baldurs...update-1-0-2011

Or perhaps "very enjoyable"? Or even "mildly pleasant"?

Still would disagree with these descriptors. :P O.K., mildly pleasant can pass, but not the first one. >> Have not played an F2P game to date that I would describe as "very enjoyable"...or just "enjoyable". But that's just me. :P I guess if I did not have enough money to buy games, (but somehow hardware?), then I probably wouldn't have such...eh...precise...tastes. So I guess my opinion is moot, anyways, haha.

Edited by Bartimaeus, 14 December 2012 - 02:52 PM.

#962 Vicen

Vicen

Swooping...is bad....

• 477 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:42 PM

Or perhaps "very enjoyable"? Or even "mildly pleasant"?

Still would disagree with these descriptors. :P O.K., mildly pleasant can pass, but not the first one. >> Have not played an F2P game to date that I would describe as "very enjoyable"...or just "enjoyable". But that's just me. :P I guess if I did not have enough money to buy games, (but somehow hardware?), then I probably wouldn't have such...eh...precise...tastes. So I guess my opinion is moot, anyways, haha.

League of Legends comes to mind as a F2P game that can very easily become "very enjoyable".

Check out my gaming oriented Youtube channel >>> https://www.youtube....er/viceiceman85

#963 Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus

Drama Queen

• 132 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 04:35 AM

League of Legends comes to mind as a F2P game that can very easily become "very enjoyable".

Yeah, no thank you. As someone who played Warcraft 3: The Frozen Throne for over five years, (Warcraft 3 being the original home of Defense of the Ancients, (DotA), Eve of the Apocalypse, (EotA), Tides of Blood, (ToB), (edit) Aeon of Strife, (AoS - have no idea why I didn't quote this one originally, because I looked it up just to make sure I was thinking of the right thing...), and other MOBAs), I can tell you right now that I would rather...do a number of unpleasant things than play any sort of MOBA ever again. But again, that's a result of being able to buy both hardware and software - being able to chisel out my tastes, so to speak. If I was somehow not able to afford software...well, then I guess it'd probably be a different story, but I can and it's not. This is a bit off-topic, though.

Edited by Bartimaeus, 15 December 2012 - 08:42 AM.

#964 Vicen

Vicen

Swooping...is bad....

• 477 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 06:26 AM

Yeah, no thank you. As someone who played Warcraft 3: The Frozen Throne for over five years, (Warcraft 3 being the original home of Defense of the Ancients, (DotA), Eve of the Apocalypse, (EotA), Tides of Blood, (ToB), and other MOBAs), I can tell you right now that I would rather...do a number of unpleasant things than play any sort of MOBA ever again. But again, that's a result of being able to buy both hardware and software - being able to chisel out my tastes, so to speak. If I was somehow not able to afford software...well, then I guess it'd probably be a different story, but I can and it's not. This is a bit off-topic, though.

Man you are hard to please haha! But yes...this is a wee bit off-topic so I suppose will end it here :P

Check out my gaming oriented Youtube channel >>> https://www.youtube....er/viceiceman85

#965 Zireael

Zireael
  • 191 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 11:18 AM

Great news, some of these fixes. Now if only there was a CD version in the views...

#966 Avenger_teambg

Avenger_teambg
  • 604 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 02:01 AM

Just telling you, i work with the BGEE developers, as staff.
Avenger

#967 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 06:15 AM

Good for you. Unless you have anything productive to add to this discussion, I highly recommend not posting.

"The righteous need not cower before the drumbeat of human progress. Though the song of yesterday fades into the challenge of tomorrow, God still watches and judges us. Evil lurks in the datalinks as it lurked in the streets of yesterday, but it was never the streets that were evil." - Sister Miriam Godwinson, Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri

#968 Zireael

Zireael
  • 191 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 08:50 AM

So can you tell me if there's a CD version planned?

#969 CamDawg

CamDawg

ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD

• Modder
  • 1505 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 09:58 AM

There was a lot of interest in an actual CD version from the players, but from what I gather the actual economics of it were not favorable for the devs.

IOW don't hold your breath.

Why is this Hypnotoad video so popu... ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD.
____
The Gibberlings Three - Home of IE Mods

The BG2 Fixpack - All the fixes of Baldurdash, plus a few hundred more. Now available, with more fixes being added in every release.

#970 Andrea C.

Andrea C.
  • Modder
  • 458 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:05 PM

Good for you. Unless you have anything productive to add to this discussion, I highly recommend not posting.

Now that was gratuitously harsh :blink:

#971 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:13 PM

Heh, perhaps, but the original comment was a bit random, though I didn't scroll back further than this page to see if there was justification for it (and incidentally, Avenger_teambg has us to thank at least partially for nominating him. :D).

Edit: oh and they should definitely do a DVD version (not CDs - we don't need an 8-disk installer but it would likely fit on a single DVD). I doubt economics would be an issue - I'm not exactly a marketing genius, but I'm pretty sure they would make money off even a minimal store presence, not lose money off it.

Edited by Miloch, 18 December 2012 - 01:14 PM.

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#972 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:50 PM

Given this thread's problems with flaming and derailing, I thought a warning to keep things on topic and productive was warranted.

"The righteous need not cower before the drumbeat of human progress. Though the song of yesterday fades into the challenge of tomorrow, God still watches and judges us. Evil lurks in the datalinks as it lurked in the streets of yesterday, but it was never the streets that were evil." - Sister Miriam Godwinson, Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri

#973 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 03:07 PM

That was unnecessarily harsh. LET US ALL MELLOW.

#974 Avenger_teambg

Avenger_teambg
  • 604 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 03:41 PM

Well, it was explicitly mentioned in this thread, that there are patches being issued frequently.
I thought it is newsworthy that 3 of the modding community (all of them shs users) work on bgee, since i can talk only in my name i didn't mention the other two, i thought they'll just chime in.
I thought this is entirely on topic, and there is nothing derailing or flaming in it.
I'm mellowed, thanks to K'aeloree.
Avenger

#975 Aranthys

Aranthys
  • 139 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 12:57 AM

You mean you've got access to the source code of the engine ? :D

#976 Yovaneth

Yovaneth

The newly-appointed Master Builder of Baldur's Gate

• Modder
  • 3058 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 04:38 AM

Not surprised. Unfortunately I had to turn down the offer because RL is slurping time like it's going out of fashion. I'll still be continuing to add updates and fixes as and when time allows. And yes - this is on-topic because it will be news to a lot of people that I have been working on BGEE.

-Y-

#977 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 05:27 PM

Unfortunately I had to turn down the offer because RL is slurping time like it's going out of fashion. I'll still be continuing to add updates and fixes as and when time allows. And yes - this is on-topic because it will be news to a lot of people that I have been working on BGEE.

You should so be getting paid for what you did with fixing and enhancing tilesets and maps though.

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#978 Zireael

Zireael
  • 191 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 12:23 AM

Edit: oh and they should definitely do a DVD version (not CDs - we don't need an 8-disk installer but it would likely fit on a single DVD).

CD, DVD, whatever. I want a DVD, downloading 1,4 GB is not possible. Even 100 MB is an issue on my end.

#979 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 06:29 PM

The latest team interview had this in it:

Interestingly, Wizards of the Coast isn't keen on the idea of Kickstarter to fund a Baldur's Gate 3, if it ever happens.

"We've talked to the Wizards guys a bit about it and they weren't really that cool with Kickstarter," he reveals. "They didn't really care for it. I didn't really dig too deep into their reasoning for it."

I wonder if they could even get a decent budget without Kickstarter? I don't see any publisher laying down the kind of money they could get with Kickstarter unless they give up the isometric view and a lot of other things.

#980 phordicus

phordicus
  • 212 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:52 PM

I wonder if they could get a decent budget with Kickstarter.  There's certainly been no mandate given by gamers that they even want a BG3, much less this crew to do it.  If you can't solidly rally what should be an automatic fan base, it's probably better to find something else to do.

Druid Kit Enhancements 1.0 (requires Dispel Magic fix, whether ToBEx's or Taimon's)