Sarevok Mod SOA NPC

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#21 HighTimeRodeo

HighTimeRodeo

It's high time the rodeo came to town!

• 160 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 01:59 PM

Sounds good! But I'm not sure if it's gonna be a romance. Sarevok romances don't seem to go over really well, at least from me. ;)
That gave Jarlaxle pause. "Because I love you as a brother, I pray that you will one day fathom the truth of it all, my friend."

"They're dragons," Entreri muttered. "And I know how Drow love their brothers."

-Road of the Patriarch

#22 HighTimeRodeo

HighTimeRodeo

• 160 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 08:16 AM

Well, here's a sample. I think I did it right, but I'm not sure. I had help from my brother making this at least legible. (I think.)

(Cage room. PC wakes outside the cage. Sarevok is in the cage.)
Sarevok: Quite the predicament you've gotten yourself into, little <BROTHER/SISTER>.
PC[1] : Don't call me that.
	 [2] : Haven't I suffered enough already? Now I have to deal with *you*?
	 [3] : Get away from me.
Sarevok{1[PC1]}: Oh, come now. Surely it's not that hard to swallow.
Sarevok{2[PC2]}: (Sarevok snarls) Do not speak to me of suffering. You have not idea what you are speaking of.
Sarevok {3[PC3]}: Have it your way. (dream ends)
PC{4 [Sarevok1]}: Swallow? Try choking on it. I still cannot believe that you and I are related. That I am your <BROTHER/SISTER>.
	  {4.1 [Sarevok 1]}: I would rather gouge my eyes out than admit I am related to you. Murderer.
		{4.2 [Sarevok 1]}: Just get away from me. I do not want to have to look at you.
PC {5 [Sarevok2]}: Oh, yes. You have suffered. You have been tormented. You killed my father.
		{5.1 [Sarevok2]}: I've suffered too. You killed my father. You ruined my reputation. You are the reason that I am here in the first place!
{5.2 [Sarevok2]}: Why do you not go haunt someone else?
Sarevok {6[PC4]}: But you are. And that's something you have to deal with. Something we both must deal with.
			   {6.1[PC4.1]}: How original. Of course I am a murderer. I am a child of murder. As are *you*.
	  {6.2 [PC4.2]}: (bow) As you wish, dear <BROTHER/SISTER>.
Sarevok {7[PC5]}: Your stepfather. Do not forget who your real father is. Who our real father is.
	  {7.1[PC5.1]}: Your blood is the reason you are here 'in the first place'. I had nothing to do with it. It was the taint. Can you not feel it?
		{7.2[PC5.2]}: Ha ha! Wise career advice, <BROTHER/SISTER>. I shall look into it.

It stops rather abruptly, I know. But I thought this might be a good start.

Any helpful comments or suggestions on how to do it better?
That gave Jarlaxle pause. "Because I love you as a brother, I pray that you will one day fathom the truth of it all, my friend."

-Road of the Patriarch

#23 AmyAE

AmyAE
  • 108 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 03:38 AM

I do like the idea of Sarevok dreams. The formatting in the sample you posted above is a little difficult to read, but it looks like you don't have enough dialogue options for a PC who doesn't want Sarevok to just go away.

e.g. the first set of replies:
PC[1] : Don't call me that.
[2] : Haven't I suffered enough already? Now I have to deal with *you*?
[3] : Get away from me.

They're all slightly differently worded ways of saying the same thing. What about a PC who is interested in what Sarevok has to say, or maybe isn't sure the dream is real and just wants to play it through to its conclusion.

So again in that first set of responses, even something as simple as "Yes, isn't it?" or the classic "Wait, aren't you dead?" would open up more avenues of roleplaying.

#24 HighTimeRodeo

HighTimeRodeo

• 160 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 06:24 AM

Well, like I said, this is just a sample. And really, after what Sarevok put <CHARNAME> through, he or she wouldn't really be happy to see them. And it's the first talk in Irenicus' dungeon. <CHARNAME> is under a lot of stress right then.

And It's the only way I could think of to make it somewhat readable. I'm out of practice with this.

-Road of the Patriarch

#25 Nightwoe

Nightwoe

Smoke's lover <3

• 47 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:52 AM

Pardon the interjection...But I had to say as another Sarevok fan that I think it's an interesting and invigorating idea. I never get enough of his character, and the thought of having his opinions, commentary, and personality throughout SoA is unbelievably exciting! If you ever need dialogue or need ideas, etc. PLEASE send me a message, I'd love to give all the support I can for your mod, if this is still in progress, I noticed this post is almost 6 months old.

"Bestiae sumus, ut non bestiae simus." -Nashkel Headstone.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Friend: You're cats pretty muscle-y...what's his name?

Me: Sarevok.

Friend: "YOUR CAT'S A BHAALSPAWN???"

#26 HighTimeRodeo

HighTimeRodeo

• 160 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:19 PM

I apologize for spelling errors. Working on a tablet.

And I would love to see your ideas. I just got a desktop is I can run BGII:SoA and TOB. I still like the idea of him coming along.

-Road of the Patriarch

#27 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:18 PM

Hey, where's the mod? I want to play it!

My first suggestion was finding Aeryn and asking her to write the mod(and chaining her to the PC, if necessary, all for humanitarian purposes and world domination, of course), but your text is fine, if especially you take AmyAE's suggestions. Anyway, I think you should do it. Make him a victim of Irenicus's experiment, then he conveniently dies again when Irenicus dies - and comes back to life at Pocket Plane. Or doesn't die at all - or maybe a part of him is still in the Abyss during SoA, and it torments him(heheheh, character development!) Anyway, I'd play it. Far better companion than Keldorn or whatever have you. 

#28 HighTimeRodeo

HighTimeRodeo

• 160 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:08 PM

Hi!

I like the idea of tying Sarevok and Irenicus together in this way. Perhaps have a conversation after the second parasite on the Tree of Life is dead, because after you kill the final parasite, it's an auto-confrontation with Irenicus.

Or you could do one in Hell, but that seems like it would be a last minute conversation and Sarevok plots things out in advance...

Sorry for the ramble. Long, crazy day at work.

-Road of the Patriarch

#29 Nightwoe

Nightwoe

Smoke's lover <3

• 47 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 04:09 PM

Actually, that could be a kind of awesome mod idea. Dreaming of Sarevok. Conversations you wish you could have had with him. He wouldn't need to be there taking up a party spot, but he would get to interact with the PC.

THAT IDEA. :clap:

SO...how would you go about initiating these dreams? The only way I would think is that they're scripted to trigger after certain events...but what if you wanted to start them on command?

Edited by Nightwoe, 13 January 2013 - 04:14 PM.

#30 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:36 PM

Domi did something like this - she's still got several dialogues somewhere, try searching for "The Midnight Visitor". I'd like physical presence, though - dreams are only 1% of the time you spend in the party, after all, and I'd like Sarevok to be next to my PC for the 99% of it.

#31 Nightwoe

Nightwoe

Smoke's lover <3

• 47 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:32 AM

Domi did something like this - she's still got several dialogues somewhere, try searching for "The Midnight Visitor". I'd like physical presence, though - dreams are only 1% of the time you spend in the party, after all, and I'd like Sarevok to be next to my PC for the 99% of it.

I'd love to see that too. Sarevok along for the ride, I mean. Even though the idea of him there would be borderlining a "plot-breaker", (I mean, it really wouldn't make ANY sense that Sarevok shows up in the dungeon...unless...OH OH OH, I JUST GOT an IDEA)

Ok, so, WHAT IF... granted we are running against the game's ending movie with Sarevok turning to dust...WHAT IF Irenicus sent Bodhi to retrieve his body in the interest of his body being the perfect vessel for tests of re-administering the divine spark that no longer exists in his body? Or even in the hopes of finding scraps of the spark within him? ALSO, this would give Sarevok his own motive to find Irenicus...the same as the PC has the option of expressing in the opening conversations with Imoen. So...Irenicus resurrects him, but finds him to be useless just before the attack upon his compound. So Sarevok decides to follow you in hopes of re-attaining the spark of Bhaal? OR perhaps he doesn't make this decision right away, but instead, upon escape of the dungeon, Sarevok has had time to think it through, and intelligently decides that you as the PC have already proven more then resourceful...both in his own undoing on the sword coast AND in escaping the dungeon without his help. Sarevok would be stupid to not realize that he no longer has all the resources he once had at his finger tips.

Well, that's just a spontaneous idea.

On top of that, it would give at least minor dialogue at some point in commentary during Bodhi's conversations...perhaps when she first appears to you and "tests" your strength in the vampire lair? A teasing remark to reveal some information to Sarevok about what exactly happened to him?

Edited by Nightwoe, 14 January 2013 - 08:36 AM.

#32 Nightwoe

Nightwoe

Smoke's lover <3

• 47 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:42 AM

Well, like I said, this is just a sample. And really, after what Sarevok put <CHARNAME> through, he or she wouldn't really be happy to see them. And it's the first talk in Irenicus' dungeon. <CHARNAME> is under a lot of stress right then.

And It's the only way I could think of to make it somewhat readable. I'm out of practice with this.

...side note...but I could see certain evil aligned characters that would still be reveling in his defeat. Though, I suppose you're right about the stress.

#33 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:18 AM

I would be heavily against this. Sarevok died at the end of BG1 and his body turned to dust as his essence merged with Bhaal's. The same reason why Charname can't be resurrected. This is established fact. The only reason Irenicus is interested in Charname and Imoen is because of their divine sparks. Khalid, Jaheira, Minsc, and Dynaheir were simply collateral damage. Not to mention that Jaheira, Minsc, Imoen, and probably Keldorn would attack him on sight.

Personally, I think this is a really bad idea. You're running off nothing more than "Wouldn't it be cool if Sarevok was in BG2?!", and that is a very poor foundation for a mod, especially as you yourself admit that the reasoning could be generously described as a stretch.

"The righteous need not cower before the drumbeat of human progress. Though the song of yesterday fades into the challenge of tomorrow, God still watches and judges us. Evil lurks in the datalinks as it lurked in the streets of yesterday, but it was never the streets that were evil." - Sister Miriam Godwinson, Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri

#34 HighTimeRodeo

HighTimeRodeo

• 160 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:59 AM

@ Tempest: Yes, it would be a stretch, but so was the idea of a Sarevok Romance Mod. And while I am no Aeryn (in Baldur's Gate writing), that does not mean that it is not possible to make this believable and good. And did Xzar, if you bring him along in BG1, not die by Irenicus' hand and he's still alive and kicking in Amn? Edwin? Baldur's Gate characters have a habit of coming back to life (not unlike Dragon Ball Z characters). Why not Sarevok? And isn't trying to figure out a way to make it somewhat plausible not half the fun of modding?

@Nightwoe: I love your ideas! Maybe do the first idea where Sarevok is deemed useless by Irenicus and decides along the way that joining the PC after they escape the dungeon would be a good idea. Just a thought!!

-Road of the Patriarch

#35 Nightwoe

Nightwoe

Smoke's lover <3

• 47 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:17 AM

I would be heavily against this. Sarevok died at the end of BG1 and his body turned to dust as his essence merged with Bhaal's. The same reason why Charname can't be resurrected. This is established fact. The only reason Irenicus is interested in Charname and Imoen is because of their divine sparks. Khalid, Jaheira, Minsc, and Dynaheir were simply collateral damage. Not to mention that Jaheira, Minsc, Imoen, and probably Keldorn would attack him on sight.

Personally, I think this is a really bad idea. You're running off nothing more than "Wouldn't it be cool if Sarevok was in BG2?!", and that is a very poor foundation for a mod, especially as you yourself admit that the reasoning could be generously described as a stretch.

I sense you as a strong factual realist and strong hearted fan. I respect this, but even if it "Wouldn't it be cool if..." is the only reason, after playing through the same game so many thousands of times, why not explore avenues of such ideas? True, it is AGAINST facts of the game, but isn't that, at least partially, what modding is about? A spark of creativity, a drive to make it real? There are always different types of fans, and their is no way possible for every mod to appease every fan...but if someone wants to make a mod to follow a creative spark, that doesn't mean everyone has to download and use it.

Again, I respect your point of view, and I don't wish to come off in any way offensive to your opinion.

I know I come off as a complete noob to all of this, but I've been part of creative gaming groups for a very long time. If nothing else, then I suppose all this would be good for is an interesting fan fiction.

But to elaberate...charname CAN be resurrected, however the reason this is not plausible in game is because upon death you lose the taint...the divine spark. Which would make the game's very point to DRIVE the PC forward useless. The only real obstacle is the turning to dust, returning the taint. It is never explained, however, how Imoen is the soul exception to this rule. She can die over and over, yet she retains the taint, which makes no sense at all. An oversight on the developers part, I'm afraid.

In ToB, you kill many Bhaal spawn, but their bodies don't eviscerate upon death. Another oversight on the developers.

Edited by Nightwoe, 14 January 2013 - 10:27 AM.

#36 Nightwoe

Nightwoe

Smoke's lover <3

• 47 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:22 AM

@Nightwoe: I love your ideas! Maybe do the first idea where Sarevok is deemed useless by Irenicus and decides along the way that joining the PC after they escape the dungeon would be a good idea. Just a thought!!

I feel that would befit his character...he is most definitely a man of strategy, but he has to plan ahead...I don't think he's nearly as good at thinking on his toes, like a skilled rogue would be. 

#37 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:22 AM

Personally, I don't like the idea of the Sarevok Romance Mod, either, but that's not important. Thing is, Sarevok didn't simply die. He was thoroughly destroyed and his divine essence merged with Bhaal's. Resurrection is one thing, and it's up to the player whether or not Xzar or Edwin died in BG1. Sarevok very explicitly died, and his death is quite clearly something else - look at what it takes for him to come back in ToB, and he's explicitly without his divine essence then. I won't try to stop you if you really want to do this, but I do think it is a very bad idea on multiple levels.

@Nightwoe: I personally maintain a firm difference between mods that explicitly break established facts of the games, and mods that simply add to them. I don't play Ascension or The Longer Road, for example, and I wouldn't play this mod for the same reason. If you enjoy that kind of thing, more power to you, but I think the question of what this mod idea actually adds beyond fan squee is one worth asking.

Edited by Tempest, 14 January 2013 - 10:26 AM.

"The righteous need not cower before the drumbeat of human progress. Though the song of yesterday fades into the challenge of tomorrow, God still watches and judges us. Evil lurks in the datalinks as it lurked in the streets of yesterday, but it was never the streets that were evil." - Sister Miriam Godwinson, Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri

#38 Nightwoe

Nightwoe

Smoke's lover <3

• 47 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:40 AM

@Nightwoe: I personally maintain a firm difference between mods that explicitly break established facts of the games, and mods that simply add to them. I don't play Ascension or The Longer Road, for example, and I wouldn't play this mod for the same reason. If you enjoy that kind of thing, more power to you, but I think the question of what this mod idea actually adds beyond fan squee is one worth asking.

And again, I have full respect for that. You could call me an NPC whore...for in the days of old when I didn't know what modding was, when I played in the confines of my room for hours on end, listening to every NPC's interjections and interactions, I molded detailed psychological profiles on many of the characters. Sarevok is one that FASCINATED me...as did Keldorn, Viconia, and Jaheira....but I digress. The point is, I enjoy deepening character interactions and revealing more psychological reflections. "Fan Squee" seems to me a cruel manner of saying "I think you're not really basing this on plausibility of the game" Which yes, you are right, the concept is bending rules to the near breaking point, but it's already been done, and honestly, I think this more plausible then some other NPC mods I've seen...the ones that break the fourth wall more then a little in efforts to be humorous. I don't play those types of mods, but I don't disgruntle those who enjoy them. As you say, power to them.

I suppose it also comes down to, (at least in my opinion) how well the mod is thought out and how it shapes out in the end.

Edited by Nightwoe, 14 January 2013 - 10:42 AM.

#39 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:28 PM

You're running off nothing more than "Wouldn't it be cool if Sarevok was in BG2?!", and that is a very poor foundation for a mod

It's the best reason ever! :) Wouldn't it be cool to have Xan in BG2? Wouldn't it be cool to romance Haer'Dalis? Wouldn't it be cool to play PS:T in widescreen mode? 

Wouldn't it be cool to meet Sarevok in a cage in Irenicus's dungeon? Face Bodhi with him? Have him intimidate Aran Linvail? See through Saemon Havarian? Be fooled by Jan's little pranks? Face Harpers at Jaheira's side? Gods, yes.

(Heh. I can just picture him proposing killing Imoen at Spellhold, since the girl is a Bhaalspawn and PC's rival. Well, it really depends on the writer, but as long as the writing's good, possibilities are endless).

#40 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:43 AM

No to all of your questions, personally, and Sarevok's really not that intimidating. Sure, he is in BG1, but face it: he died at the height of his power in a straightforward fight. The only time we see firsthand evidence of Sarevok fighting anyone but a lone old mage with lots of backup at Sarevok's side, he dies. He's just a pitiful, broken shadow of a man clinging desperately to his illusory scraps of power.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Sarevok, Mod, SOA, NPC