BGEE Movies WebM

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#41 Sam.

Sam.
  • Administrator
  • 1294 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 07:02 AM

I will write code for you. Let me know what changes need to be made via PM.

Thanks!!  (That didn't take nearly as much begging as I had feared... :P)  I have a couple things to finish up (namely creating a smaller resolution version of Beamdog's new "logo" movie which is missing in BGEE and adding audio to the currently unused "TAVERN" movie).  I'm also considering adding a new component, but after that I'll be shooting you a PM about the changes to the installer.

Thanks again!

Sam.

"Ok, I've just about had my FILL of riddle asking, quest assigning, insult throwing, pun hurling, hostage taking, iron mongering, smart-arsed fools, freaks, and felons that continually test my will, mettle, strength, intelligence, and most of all, patience! If you've got a straight answer ANYWHERE in that bent little head of yours, I want to hear it pretty damn quick or I'm going to take a large blunt object roughly the size of Elminster AND his hat, and stuff it lengthwise into a crevice of your being so seldom seen that even the denizens of the nine hells themselves wouldn't touch it with a twenty-foot rusty halberd! Have I MADE myself perfectly CLEAR?!"

--<CHARNAME> to Portalbendarwinden

--------------------

post-10485-0-15080600-1348188745.jpg
___________Old pen and paper modules of the 70s and 80s.___________

CA Forums CA Homepage

#42 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5150 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 09:59 AM

That didn't take nearly as much begging as I had feared... :P
Well, being very specific about what you want usually helps too... but you didn't op to be that, as it tells if "even I can do x"... K4thos obviously has "his fox tail in his armpit" cause the EET project he has.. and free hands(cause he waits for the Y-adventure before the EET's official release).

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#43 Sam.

Sam.
  • Administrator
  • 1294 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 02:42 PM

Updated (finally...)!  Read the ReadMe!

25 February 2015 - Version 0.05:
* Upgraded to latest version of WeiDU, which is now BG:EE compatible.
* Manual edit to Baldur.ini is no longer necessary. The installer does it for you.
* Re-encoded hi-res (1280x720) movies to be higher quality.
* Included medium-res (852x480) and lo-res (512x288) versions of movies.
* Restored TAVERN movie to Elfsong Tavern.
* Updated documentation.

Thanks to K4thos for handling all the WeiDU coding in the update!

"Ok, I've just about had my FILL of riddle asking, quest assigning, insult throwing, pun hurling, hostage taking, iron mongering, smart-arsed fools, freaks, and felons that continually test my will, mettle, strength, intelligence, and most of all, patience! If you've got a straight answer ANYWHERE in that bent little head of yours, I want to hear it pretty damn quick or I'm going to take a large blunt object roughly the size of Elminster AND his hat, and stuff it lengthwise into a crevice of your being so seldom seen that even the denizens of the nine hells themselves wouldn't touch it with a twenty-foot rusty halberd! Have I MADE myself perfectly CLEAR?!"

--------------------

CA Forums CA Homepage

#44 Mister_Ennui

Mister_Ennui
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 09:05 AM

Hi Sam.

I haven't had a chance to try the latest version of the mod yet, but I note that the readme says, "Restored TAVERN movie to Elfsong Tavern." However, it is pretty clear from the layout of the tavern in the movie that it is of the Red Sheaf Inn in Beregost.

#45 Sam.

Sam.
  • Administrator
  • 1294 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 06:43 AM

Hi Sam.

I haven't had a chance to try the latest version of the mod yet, but I note that the readme says, "Restored TAVERN movie to Elfsong Tavern." However, it is pretty clear from the layout of the tavern in the movie that it is of the Red Sheaf Inn in Beregost.

The Red Sheaf Inn doesn't have the fire place/stove.  The Elfsong Tavern matches the layout of the Tavern movie perfectly, except for where you enter from (which may have contributed to why the movie was cut from the original release).  Besides, the Elfsong Tavern (to the best of my knowledge) is the famous tavern in the Baldur's Gate region, and is mentioned in (and occasionally a major location in) sources outside of the Baldur's Gate game itself.  Other mods/modders have restored the Tavern movie over the years:  always to the Elfsong Tavern.  Taking all this into account, I don't plan on changing which tavern this movie plays in, but thank you for your input.

--------------------

CA Forums CA Homepage

#46 Mister_Ennui

Mister_Ennui
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 05:12 AM

Sam, you're right!

I was assuming that the movie showed entry via the front door of the building. Looking at the layout from that perspective the closest (albeit not perfect) match appeared to be the Red Sheaf. However, if the movie is viewed as showing entry via a (non-existent in the game) side door leading into the kitchen of the Elfsong Tavern it is a much closer (indeed, near perfect) match. It also makes more sense, as you say, for a cut scene to have been made of the rather more famous Elfsong Tavern than the less significant Red Sheaf Inn.

Apologies for wasting your time with this.

#47 Tash

Tash
  • Validating
  • 125 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 10:58 AM

You've done a good job restoring and muxing the Elfsong Tavern movie, Sam.!

I've been thinking about the background music. While you've chosen a great piece, some may consider it strange taking the available lore into account. "No music is permitted on the premises of the Elfsong," is what all the cool guys say. Of course, nobody says that the piece is actually played by a bard inside the actual tavern, so the cool guys might as well change their locale. :lol2:

For Sounds of the Sword Coast, I've come up with an idea to replace the standard tavern music with a sporadic area ambient made of some isolated vocals from Dark Alliance. I'm still not sure about it, though. What do you think? If it sounds good, the same could potentially be done in the movie.

#48 Sam.

Sam.
  • Administrator
  • 1294 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 02:10 PM

You've done a good job restoring and muxing the Elfsong Tavern movie, Sam.!

I've been thinking about the background music. While you've chosen a great piece, some may consider it strange taking the available lore into account. "No music is permitted on the premises of the Elfsong," is what all the cool guys say. Of course, nobody says that the piece is actually played by a bard inside the actual tavern, so the cool guys might as well change their locale. :lol2:

For Sounds of the Sword Coast, I've come up with an idea to replace the standard tavern music with a sporadic area ambient made of some isolated vocals from Dark Alliance. I'm still not sure about it, though. What do you think? If it sounds good, the same could potentially be done in the movie.

When I added music to the movie, I hadn't heard that bit of lore, but just earlier this week I was looking for some info in the original Baldur's Gate Manual and came across this:

Elfsong Tavern

This tavern is the local watering hole, meeting place, and hiring spot for adventurers. A popular destination for pirates and outlaws on the loose in the Coastlands, it is a place the watch turns a blind eye toward, unless rowdiness and battle erupt. Those wishing to fence stolen goods, hire unusual folk for unrespectable tasks, and hear tall tales of daring adventure often come here early and stay late.

The tavern is named for an unusual haunting – a ghostly female elven voice heard from time to time all over the establishment. It isn’t loud, but can be heard clearly everywhere, and is both beautiful and mournful. No one is sure just who the singer is – although it’s clear she’s singing a lament for a lover lost at sea – or how the haunting came to be. No other music is permitted in the Elfsong.

The ground floor is devoted to a taproom that serves melted cheese sandwiches (spiced or unspiced, as you prefer), pickles, and fist-sized twists of dried herring – and drinks of all types, of course. Several dark, twisting stairs lead up to private meeting rooms that can be rented by the candle (the time it takes a short taper to burn down) or an evening. Those with enemies are warned that the dimness on the stairs has concealed many a seeking knife thrust or poisoned hand crossbow bolt.

The bartender has a prediliction to spread potentially useful gossip and rumors, but only when his palm is weighted and some drinks are quaffed. Patrons can – and are expected to – go armed when in the Elfsong, and the known rule is that all beings need to protect their own backs.

I like the idea of keeping in line with the established lore as much as possible.  If a suitable audio clip of the ghostly female elven vocalist can be made, I would definitely be interested in using it to render a new version of the Tavern movie.

Edit:  For reference, what the Elfsong Tavern (AR0705 in ToSC) uses for the "ghostly female elven voice" is SIRIN05.WAV.

Edited by Sam., 27 May 2015 - 02:25 PM.

--------------------

CA Forums CA Homepage

#49 -Tyler-

-Tyler-

Posted 06 November 2015 - 02:49 PM

Sam can you please reupliad a link I've looked all over and its all 404 you can remove it once I download it or send it to me personally I would bevery grateful. My email is mibit911@cox.net

#50 The Imp

The Imp

• 5150 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 03:30 PM

I just downloaded the mod OK from here, well from this direct download .. I'll upload it to mediafire for you, it will take hour and a half, but why not.
EDIT: Link.

Edited by The Imp, 06 November 2015 - 05:54 PM.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#51 Sam.

Sam.
  • Administrator
  • 1294 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 07:58 PM

Sam can you please reupliad a link I've looked all over and its all 404 you can remove it once I download it or send it to me personally I would bevery grateful. My email is mibit911@cox.net

An official mirror can now be found here, and the ReadMe.

As a side note, I am happy to mirror any mods or ReadMes (assuming I/you have the permission to do so).  I can even provide FTP access.  PM me for details.

--------------------

CA Forums CA Homepage

#52 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 02:58 PM

Mod installed in EET

I am not sure if this belongs here or to the EET forum

Installed the mod according to procedure described for EET

~BGEECLASSICMOVIES/SETUP-BGEECLASSICMOVIES.TP2~ #0 #1 // Restore BG1 movies to BG:EE -> Add missing movies: v0.05
~BGEECLASSICMOVIES/SETUP-BGEECLASSICMOVIES.TP2~ #0 #2 // Show all movies in options without need to unlock them in game: v0.05

The deathhand movie is not played when PC dies.

The Sandrah Saga

another piece of *buggy, cheesy, unbalanced junk*

#53 Sam.

Sam.
  • Administrator
  • 1294 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 05:03 PM

Mod installed in EET

~BGEECLASSICMOVIES/SETUP-BGEECLASSICMOVIES.TP2~ #0 #1 // Restore BG1 movies to BG:EE -> Add missing movies: v0.05
~BGEECLASSICMOVIES/SETUP-BGEECLASSICMOVIES.TP2~ #0 #2 // Show all movies in options without need to unlock them in game: v0.05

I haven't installed EET to be able to test this yet, but playing the movie when the PC dies should be handled by the engine itself.  Can you check if DEATHAND.WBM is in your movies folder?  Should be something like <\Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Edition\Data\00783\movies>, but there might also be one at <\Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Edition\Data\00783\lang\en_US\movies>.  Note that the upper directories and the folder corresponding to your language may be different in your install.

--------------------

CA Forums CA Homepage

#54 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 09:39 PM

Mod installed in EET

I haven't installed EET to be able to test this yet, but playing the movie when the PC dies should be handled by the engine itself.  Can you check if DEATHAND.WBM is in your movies folder?  Should be something like <\Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Edition\Data\00783\movies>, but there might also be one at <\Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Edition\Data\00783\lang\en_US\movies>.  Note that the upper directories and the folder corresponding to your language may be different in your install.

Mmmm. I checked it in NI and it plays, checked the folder. and it has a number of those movies (I selected *Add missing movies* and that may be the reason. But with this option should not the Beamdog movie been shown in this case?

Edited by Roxanne, 16 January 2016 - 10:55 PM.

The Sandrah Saga

#55 The Imp

The Imp

• 5150 posts

Posted 17 January 2016 - 05:48 AM

Have you installed the mod which doesn't end the game if the Bhall Spawn is dead ?

#56 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 17 January 2016 - 06:15 AM

Have you installed the mod which doesn't end the game if the Bhall Spawn is dead ?

Talking EET here.

The Sandrah Saga

#57 K4thos

K4thos
  • Modder
  • 315 posts

Posted 17 January 2016 - 07:04 AM

Roxanne, you actually don't need this mod installed to have vanilla BG1 720p movies in EET. To reduce size of the package EET comes with dubbed movies without audio and than merges voice on the fly during installation using ogg files depending of the chosen language. Due to this, Nietzsche quote in intro is always in English. Classic Movies is on EET BG:EE compatibility list because it contains polish version of the intro with translated Nietzsche quote. For English version it doesn't change anything whatsoever. Doubt this mod has anything to do with your problem. Consider starting the topic on EET subforum and posting your weidu.log. My first intuition would be "Protagonist can die" component from EET Tweaks or some similar mod problem.

Edited by K4thos, 17 January 2016 - 07:05 AM.

#58 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 17 January 2016 - 01:39 PM

Mod installed in EET

Roxanne, you actually don't need this mod installed to have vanilla BG1 720p movies in EET. To reduce size of the package EET comes with dubbed movies without audio and than merges voice on the fly during installation using ogg files depending of the chosen language. Due to this, Nietzsche quote in intro is always in English. Classic Movies is on EET BG:EE compatibility list because it contains polish version of the intro with translated Nietzsche quote. For English version it doesn't change anything whatsoever. Doubt this mod has anything to do with your problem. Consider starting the topic on EET subforum and posting your weidu.log. My first intuition would be "Protagonist can die" component from EET Tweaks or some similar mod problem.

SOLVED

It was EET Tweaks "Protagonist can die" component. Everything works fine after de-installation of that component.

The Sandrah Saga

#59 Sam.

Sam.
  • Administrator
  • 1294 posts

Posted 04 November 2016 - 07:06 AM

Hi Sam, any chances for minor update regarding new baldur.lua file and it's structure?

I've been meaning to do this since this issue was first reported, but a couple obstacles keep stopping me.  Specifically, the SHS download manager is still broken, so I couldn't upload the update here.  Ordinarily I would just create a GitHub project for it, but it would be larger than the GitHub project size restrictions especially since I would really prefer to recreate the original releases as a commit history and make the low resolution versions of the movies as a separate branch of the same project.

I'm open to suggestions.

--------------------

CA Forums CA Homepage

#60 Sam.

Sam.
  • Administrator
  • 1294 posts

Posted 15 November 2016 - 07:43 PM

Hi Sam, any chances for minor update regarding new baldur.lua file and it's structure?

BG:EE Classic Movies is now available on GitHub.  Here is the Readme.  The LowResOnly movies are on their own branch, and the latest release (as of this posting) is here.

How about putting this particular project into GitLab.com? Same as GitHub but storage limit raised to 10GB per repo. BG GO for EET use it.

I read the feedback on the push to GitHub carefully, and none of the files were above the size limit.  The repository size is quite large, so I pity the fool who tries to clone the entire repo locally, but everything seems to have worked.  @ALIEN, V1.00 should be compatible with BGEE and SoD both pre and post V2 (of the engine), although I haven't actually tested in on a pre V2 install.  The underlying code underwent some semi-significant changes (which will hopefully result in more intelligent component installation).  Everything went good in my testing, but when a new revision hits the wild things tend to be revealed.  Just let me know :) .  Unless shit hits the fan, Big World should now point to GitHub. :cheers:

Edited by Sam., 15 November 2016 - 07:44 PM.

--------------------

CA Forums CA Homepage

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: BGEE, Movies, WebM