ToSC Maps

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Sam.

Sam.
  • Administrator
  • 1292 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 03:20 PM

Back in 2002, my dad printed off a guide to the city maps of Baldur's Gate which included a map of each area marked with numbers and points of interest, and below it a list & description of what the marked locations were, as well as NPCs and quests related to that location. In all my years of playing the BG series, I have found this guide to be unequaled in its quality, ease of use, usefulness, and format. There have been many similar (but IMO lesser) guides over the years, but this one is by far my favorite. It has been a wonderful resource as both a player and modder. Sadly, my pages are getting quite warn and marked with use, and I'd like to find a fresh copy of the originals, but so far I have had no luck. The domain where I first got them was http://freespace.vir...et/baldursgate/, but it seems that site no longer exists. Searching on WayBack Machine yields http://web.archive.o...et/baldursgate/, but the maps aren't there. Does anyone happen to know the ones I'm talking about, or more importantly know where they can be found now?

TIA,
Sam.

"Ok, I've just about had my FILL of riddle asking, quest assigning, insult throwing, pun hurling, hostage taking, iron mongering, smart-arsed fools, freaks, and felons that continually test my will, mettle, strength, intelligence, and most of all, patience! If you've got a straight answer ANYWHERE in that bent little head of yours, I want to hear it pretty damn quick or I'm going to take a large blunt object roughly the size of Elminster AND his hat, and stuff it lengthwise into a crevice of your being so seldom seen that even the denizens of the nine hells themselves wouldn't touch it with a twenty-foot rusty halberd! Have I MADE myself perfectly CLEAR?!"

--<CHARNAME> to Portalbendarwinden

--------------------

post-10485-0-15080600-1348188745.jpg
___________Old pen and paper modules of the 70s and 80s.___________

CA Forums CA Homepage

#2 Solaufein

Solaufein

No fate but what we make

• Modder
  • 263 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 05:42 PM

http://web.archive.o...maps/themap.htm Old Cyberjag site at Archive?
Her lips were red, her looks were free
Her locks were as yellow as gold
Her skin was white as leprosy.
The Nightmare Life-in-Death was she,
Who thicks man's blood with cold.

Samuel Taylor Coleridge

http://teambg.net
The Undying

#3 Sam.

Sam.
  • Administrator
  • 1292 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 05:58 PM

Looks more like this:
img002.jpg

"Ok, I've just about had my FILL of riddle asking, quest assigning, insult throwing, pun hurling, hostage taking, iron mongering, smart-arsed fools, freaks, and felons that continually test my will, mettle, strength, intelligence, and most of all, patience! If you've got a straight answer ANYWHERE in that bent little head of yours, I want to hear it pretty damn quick or I'm going to take a large blunt object roughly the size of Elminster AND his hat, and stuff it lengthwise into a crevice of your being so seldom seen that even the denizens of the nine hells themselves wouldn't touch it with a twenty-foot rusty halberd! Have I MADE myself perfectly CLEAR?!"

--------------------

CA Forums CA Homepage

#4 Solaufein

Solaufein

No fate but what we make

• Modder
  • 263 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 06:10 PM

http://web.archive.o...ex.com/m.james/ You just have to know your way around Archive. I found some of the maps here. Its a shame a lot of these old sites are gone. This one looks beautifully made and informative.

Edited by Solaufein, 11 April 2012 - 06:11 PM.

Samuel Taylor Coleridge

The Undying

#5 Solaufein

Solaufein

No fate but what we make

• Modder
  • 263 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 06:15 PM

http://wayback.archi...ex.com/m.james/ This has all the dates this site has been captured. With luck you may find all of the images.

Samuel Taylor Coleridge

The Undying

#6 Sam.

Sam.
  • Administrator
  • 1292 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 03:27 PM

http://wayback.archi...ex.com/m.james/ This has all the dates this site has been captured. With luck you may find all of the images.

Thanks for tracking these down :) . Unfortunately, I was only able to find three of them with the actual map graphic intact. It wouldn't be that hard for me to recreate the map portions of them though...

Attached File  Baldur's Gate - The Harbour.pdf   126.9K   855 downloads
Attached File  Baldur's Gate - Entar's Estate.pdf   133.13K   735 downloads
Attached File  Baldur's Gate - The Carnival.pdf   133.49K   716 downloads

--------------------

CA Forums CA Homepage

#7 Sasha Al'Therin

Sasha Al'Therin
  • Modder
  • 615 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 06:15 PM

I was only able to find three of them with the actual map graphic intact

Were you only wanting the city? some of the other locations have maps too.

I went ahead and made pdfs of all the other complete maps. I retitled the pages to match the map here. However, I can't upload files here it seems. So if someone who can would like to move them from off my website and make them available, that's fine by me.

http://sasha-altheri....com/BG_Maps.7z
contains maps from the wayback archive for the following areas (not including the 3 maps posted above) -- in alphabetical order
  • Carnival
  • Cloakwood Druids
  • Cloadwood Lodge
  • Fisherman's Lake
  • Gnoll Stronghold
  • Lighthouse
  • Lonely Peaks
  • North Nashkel Road
  • Red Canyons
  • South Beregost Road
  • Temple
  • Ulcaster
  • Wyrm's Crossing
I was unable to find any more complete pages with maps. The Nashkel Mines was missing one of the hand drawn graphics so I left it out.

My working mods:
an AI Party Script for BG2 game engine DOWNLOAD LINK ONLY!
Interactive Tweaks for BG series with some IWD support. DOWNLOAD LINK ONLY!
Rest For 8 Hours an IWD mod
-------------------------------------------
My contributions: BG1Fixpack, BG1Tweaks
On Hold: Solestia an NPC for SOA
-------------------------------------------
My website: http://sasha-altheri...s.com/index.htm

#8 Solaufein

Solaufein

No fate but what we make

• Modder
  • 263 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 03:22 AM

Try this http://wayback.archi...x.com/m.james/* Putting an * between the url will give you everything associated with a capture. It will save you t he time of going through year by year.

Samuel Taylor Coleridge

The Undying

#9 Sam.

Sam.
  • Administrator
  • 1292 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 08:26 PM

I have recreated/rebuilt the walkthrough for the Baldur's Gate city maps. They are in HTML format, and are the same as the originals, but with a couple of basic corrections.

Attached File  BaldursGateCityWalkthrough.rar   911.03K   707 downloads

If anyone is interested in remaking the walkthrough in full from the old site, I'll explain the best way to save the pages from Wayback Machine, I'll generate all the maps for you, and send you the generated black and red numbers. All you'd have to do is save the pages from Wayback, and add the numbers to the proper locations on the maps.

--------------------

CA Forums CA Homepage

#10 Cal Jones

Cal Jones
  • Modder
  • 1168 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 05:37 AM

I've used this one - it seems to tick all the boxes. http://www.forgotten...m/bg1/index.htm

#11 Sam.

Sam.
  • Administrator
  • 1292 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 05:46 PM

I started the process of recreating the old site, which would be followed by updating it to reflect the latest version of Baldur's Gate:  Enhanced Edition, but have quickly realized just how much work (and time) this will take.  Personally, I like the layout and design of this guide/walkthrough very much, but I'm wondering what the level of interest is in seeing it restored?  I've played the game enough times that the Baldur's Gate city maps are the only ones I find useful, but if others would find the entire guide helpful, I'll probably remake the whole thing.  Is this guide even unique enough to be useful, or are the existing guides/walkthroughs (like the one at Dudleyville) sufficient?

--------------------

CA Forums CA Homepage

#12 Solaufein

Solaufein

No fate but what we make

• Modder
  • 263 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 08:39 PM

Restore it. I hate seeing the old sites become lost and gone forever. It had a nice layout and information. It should be brought back to life.

Samuel Taylor Coleridge

The Undying

#13 Sam.

Sam.
  • Administrator
  • 1292 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 11:19 AM

Restore it. I hate seeing the old sites become lost and gone forever. It had a nice layout and information. It should be brought back to life.

I don't suppose you (or anyone else for that matter) would be interested in helping?  I've made some good progress so far:  my goal is to finish the NPC pages and the worldmap today, and after that I have the 32 or so maps that were missing the image in WaybackMachine.  So far I have mostly been concentrating on coding:  everything is written in HTML5, CSS3, and just a touch of JavaScript, and validates under the W3C Markup Validation Service and OnlineWebCheck.com's CSE HTML Validator.  The original guide was only for The Original Saga and is missing the added/updated content for Tales of the Sword Coast and now the Enhanced Edition.  What I could really use some help with is updating of the actual content.  For instance, the tables of priest and magic user spells as well as the list of magic items are hopelessly out of date.  The map content will need updating too, but it may be best to wait on updating it until I have all of the original map pages recreated.  To anyone interested in helping:  if you know HTML and want access to the sourcecode, great.  If not, no problem.  It would be a big help for someone to look up and send me the updated raw information.  I can put it in the pages myself.  Post here or send me a PM if you're interested.

--------------------

CA Forums CA Homepage

#14 Sam.

Sam.
  • Administrator
  • 1292 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 02:56 AM

What I have so far.  I use (and thus have tested it in) the latest version of Firefox.  I am willing to put forth an effort to support the latest versions of Opera and perhaps Chrome, so if anyone notices anything displaying wonky in those browsers, let me know and I'll see what I can do.  If you use Internet Explorer, it's time to put on your big boy/girl pants and start using a real web browser :P .

The list of areas that have been completed:

Spoiler

--------------------

CA Forums CA Homepage

#15 Solaufein

Solaufein

No fate but what we make

• Modder
  • 263 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 10:22 PM

Looks nice. It takes a while to rebuild an old site back to its former glory.

Samuel Taylor Coleridge

The Undying

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ToSC, Maps