1153 replies to this topic

#1 Sam.

Sam.
  • Administrator
  • 1292 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 09:40 PM

NearInfinity

:excl: This is the newest version of NearInfinity: :excl:

The latest updates to NearInfinity have been made by Argent77 and can be found on the Argent77 branch on GitHub.  These latest development snapshots have lots of cool new features and improvements, including native ACM and WAVC sound support which means that acm2wav or acmtool is no longer required.  A changelog of bug fixes and new features is provided in the post announcing each new development snapshot, but a more consolidated list of recent changes can be found here.

NearInfinity v2.0 releases

See the NearInfinity Wiki for an excellent source of information on NI, including feature overviews, system requirements, troubleshooting steps, etc.

AstroBryGuy from the Baldur's Gate forum has set up a repository for Mac OS X specific app packages of Near Infinity. It provides a better system integration, such as adding a Dock icon or using the system menubar.

Support for case-sensitive filesystems (as found on Linux and derivates) has been added in the main developmental snapshots. This feature supersedes the (already dated) CI versions of NearInfinity and removes the requirement of tolowered game installations at the same time.

Note that if you are using my Hide NI DOS program (on Windows) to run NearInfinity, instructions for directing it to the new .jar file can be found in this post or in the readme that came with the program.

Because there is currently no official place to host the latest compiled versions of NearInfinity (other than GitHub), I am volunteering to compile them if necessary and keep up-to-date links in this post to the latest version.

Links:

The original creator of NearInfinity is Jon Olav Hauglid. The latest OFFICIAL stable and beta releases can still be found on his site. The most recent version on this site is v1.32.1b24. This version is outdated.

After that there was a NearInfinity project on SourceForege. This version is outdated.

Pocket Plane Group is the current host of the NearInfinity forums.

The most recent compiled version PRIOR TO moving to GitHub can be found in this post. It is v1.33b19. This version is outdated.

The sources to the very latest unofficial updates to NearInfinity can be found on GitHub. It is the compiled forms of these versions that I am attaching here.

While Fredrik Lindgren's build is the primary branch, other branches of NearInfinity include Taimon's branch, vbigiani's branch, FredSRichardson's branch, Argent 77's branch, Jurgen00's branch, and AstroBryGuy's branch.

You need the following to run NearInfinity properly:

You MUST have Java installed to run NearInfinity. Here is the download page.  Using the 64-bit version of Java to run NI is recommend if you are on a 64-bit system.  You may also wish to test your version of Java by going here or here to see if it is the latest.  Java 8 or higher is required to run NearInfinity v2.0 and later.

Attached File  acm2wav~v1.32.rar   23.64K   3000 downloads  Edit:  As of v1.35.0-snapshot-20140201, NearInfinity comes with native ACM and WAVC sound support (no acm2wav or acmtool required anymore).

Hide NI DOS is a program I wrote which quietly runs NearInfinity with the specified VM Options. It takes the place of and is an improvement to .BAT files used to increase memory allocations, and also provides a graphical user interface (GUI) for NearInfinity’s optional command-line parameters.  It only runs on Windows Operating Systems. This program is optional.  The latest version of Hide NI DOS can be found on GitHub, along with the Read-Me.

Alternate Command-Line approach:

Spoiler

Edited by Sam., 10 October 2022 - 11:49 AM.

"Ok, I've just about had my FILL of riddle asking, quest assigning, insult throwing, pun hurling, hostage taking, iron mongering, smart-arsed fools, freaks, and felons that continually test my will, mettle, strength, intelligence, and most of all, patience! If you've got a straight answer ANYWHERE in that bent little head of yours, I want to hear it pretty damn quick or I'm going to take a large blunt object roughly the size of Elminster AND his hat, and stuff it lengthwise into a crevice of your being so seldom seen that even the denizens of the nine hells themselves wouldn't touch it with a twenty-foot rusty halberd! Have I MADE myself perfectly CLEAR?!"

--<CHARNAME> to Portalbendarwinden

--------------------

post-10485-0-15080600-1348188745.jpg
___________Old pen and paper modules of the 70s and 80s.___________

CA Forums CA Homepage

#2 salomonkane

salomonkane
  • 166 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 01:34 AM

Thank You ! :rolleyes: :D .
Quo Vadis ?

#3 Sam.

Sam.
  • Administrator
  • 1292 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 06:27 PM

I have compiled and attached (to the first post) the latest version which was released on July 04, 2010.

"Ok, I've just about had my FILL of riddle asking, quest assigning, insult throwing, pun hurling, hostage taking, iron mongering, smart-arsed fools, freaks, and felons that continually test my will, mettle, strength, intelligence, and most of all, patience! If you've got a straight answer ANYWHERE in that bent little head of yours, I want to hear it pretty damn quick or I'm going to take a large blunt object roughly the size of Elminster AND his hat, and stuff it lengthwise into a crevice of your being so seldom seen that even the denizens of the nine hells themselves wouldn't touch it with a twenty-foot rusty halberd! Have I MADE myself perfectly CLEAR?!"

--------------------

CA Forums CA Homepage

#4 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 06:47 PM

Eh, if it's updated, shouldn't someone be incrementing the version (beta 21, 20a, whatever)?

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#5 Sam.

Sam.
  • Administrator
  • 1292 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 08:04 PM

Eh, if it's updated, shouldn't someone be incrementing the version (beta 21, 20a, whatever)?

Should it be updated?... it's not my place to say. Is it updated?... no. You can find the list of the latest versions on the Commit History page on GitHub. The bump from b19 to v1.33b20 occurred on 2009-09-03. The About Near Infinity tab in NearInfinity still says "Near Infinity v1.33 beta 20". If you are looking for a way to definitively distinguish between the different versions, use the commit IDs. The commit for the version I updated today is: 6b8b1f85621cd6c37d56.

--------------------

CA Forums CA Homepage

#6 Sam.

Sam.
  • Administrator
  • 1292 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 02:15 PM

I compiled and added the new version to the first post. NearInfinity is still v1.33b20 and was updated on 2010-12-19. It's commit ID is 8c607cecae5473f97fd7.

Notification of update on NearInfinity Forums at PPG.
View changes at GitHub.

--------------------

CA Forums CA Homepage

#7 -Viktor-

-Viktor-

Posted 15 February 2011 - 02:30 AM

A little problem ?

For the effect Dispel/resistance, you've 4 choices:
0 - no dispel / bypass resistance
1 - dispel / not bypass resistance
2 - not dispel / bypass resistance (???)
3 - dispel / bypass resistance

Choice 2 it's not "no dispel / not bypass resistance", because actually choice 0 & 2 are the same.

Anyway, thanks for that new version.

#8 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 04:43 AM

Choice 2 it's not "no dispel / not bypass resistance", because actually choice 0 & 2 are the same.

This is a known defect in the engine, not in NI. (Hmm, maybe yet another thing for ToBEx to fix...)

Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#9 -Viktor-

-Viktor-

Posted 15 February 2011 - 06:28 AM

Ok, thanks for the answer Miloch.

#10 Viktor

Viktor
  • 20 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 03:04 AM

Bug report.

When I add memorized / known spells on a CRE file, this one is always corrupted after I save it.

I've this problem with all versions available on this page, but not with a old version of NI (2007).

#11 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 01:31 PM

You'll want to report that problem on NI's development forum. Sam is just using this thread to make the compiled versions available. But one of the developers did ask for reports of this sort of issue. If you have a CRE with which you can always reproduce this, you might want to attach it too.

#12 Viktor

Viktor
  • 20 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 11:48 PM

I've this problem not only with a specific CRE, but with all CRE.

I'll make the report at the appropriate place. Thanks.

#13 prowler

prowler

Translator

• 425 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 07:27 AM

I have problems with new version. I cannot see russain text. Is a new code-page (utf-8?) using?
Old version works ok.

Edited by prowler, 12 July 2011 - 08:18 PM.

Murloc-translator
Coordinator of the Russian BWP Translation Team - Arcanecoast.ru
Work with SHS, PPG, G3, CoM, Dragon's Hoard, Sorcerer's Place, RPG Dungeon

#14 Sam.

Sam.
  • Administrator
  • 1292 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 10:31 PM

I have problems with new version. I cannot see russain text. Is a new code-page (utf-8?) using?
Old version works ok.

I'm not sure what the problem is. I wouldn't have done anything differently when compiling the last two versions, unless NetBeans or the Java JDK was updated, though I don't see how that would make a difference. Regardless, I updated my NetBeans IDE to 7.0, updated my Java JDK to the latest version (1.6.0-26), re-downloaded the NearInfinity source code from GitHub, and recompiled it. Here it is:

EDIT: See the 1st post for the attachment.

Let me know if it works properly. If not, try adjusting Options->TLK Charset in NearInfinity. If that still doesn't work, I'll ask around to see what I should try.

Edited by Sam., 13 July 2011 - 09:10 AM.

--------------------

CA Forums CA Homepage

#15 prowler

prowler

Translator

• 425 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 08:44 AM

Thanks, now all ok!

Murloc-translator
Coordinator of the Russian BWP Translation Team - Arcanecoast.ru
Work with SHS, PPG, G3, CoM, Dragon's Hoard, Sorcerer's Place, RPG Dungeon

#16 Sam.

Sam.
  • Administrator
  • 1292 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 09:13 AM

Thanks, now all ok!

Sorry I took so long to respond. I was trying to decide what I should do, and then I sort of forgot about it :( . I updated the 1st post with the newly compiled version.

--------------------

CA Forums CA Homepage

#17 Ithildur

Ithildur
  • 179 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 07:00 PM

I've finally upgraded to Windows 7, and it seems like NI works fine, but the various batch files used to apply extra memory to NI, as well as your 'Hide NI Dos' exe, do not work. Is there a way to get it working? I've tried running in compatibility mode and as administrator, didn't work.

#18 Sam.

Sam.
  • Administrator
  • 1292 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 07:27 PM

I've finally upgraded to Windows 7, and it seems like NI works fine, but the various batch files used to apply extra memory to NI, as well as your 'Hide NI Dos' exe, do not work. Is there a way to get it working? I've tried running in compatibility mode and as administrator, didn't work.

Here are a few things to try:
  • Make absolutely sure you are running it as administrator (or disable UAC).
  • Try to run the command prompt itself: Run <%SystemRoot%\system32\cmd.exe>. Does it come up?
  • Look at the registry (Run regedit.exe), HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System. If there is a key DisableCMD with a value of 2, that would prevent you from running .bat files. If that's the case, just delete the key.
  • Open gpedit.msc. Navigate to User Configuration --> Admnistrative Templates --> System. There you will see the policy named "Prevent access to the command prompt." If this is enabled at the domain level, then that explains your issue.
Let me know your results and we can go from there.

--------------------

CA Forums CA Homepage

#19 Ithildur

Ithildur
  • 179 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 02:19 AM

Here are a few things to try:
  • Make absolutely sure you are running it as administrator (or disable UAC).
  • Try to run the command prompt itself: Run <%SystemRoot%\system32\cmd.exe>. Does it come up?
  • Look at the registry (Run regedit.exe), HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System. If there is a key DisableCMD with a value of 2, that would prevent you from running .bat files. If that's the case, just delete the key.
  • Open gpedit.msc. Navigate to User Configuration --> Admnistrative Templates --> System. There you will see the policy named "Prevent access to the command prompt." If this is enabled at the domain level, then that explains your issue.
Let me know your results and we can go from there.

No luck; disabled UAC but it doesn't help.

The dos command prompt screen flashes too quickly for me to see what the problem is exactly, but after multiple times proving that it's faster than the eye, I did see something that looked like it couldn't find the .jar, or didn't recognize the file format or name of the beta 20 NI .jar file. I have Java 6 update 27 installed, so I'm not sure what the problem is. [edit] It's definitely not Java as I can run various versions of NI fine as long as I launch the .jar file itself; just can't get the HideNI app or any .bat files to launch them.

Interestingly enough when I pull up Task Manager it shows the HideNI running quietly... but NI doesn't start.

Command prompt itself runs fine when not running this particular batch file (or any of various other versions of NI batch files I've tried).

The registry doesn't have such a path; the only folder under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\software\policies]microsoft\windows is \CurrentVersion, no System folder.

Searching for gpedit or gpedit.msc turns up nothing in my OS

Edited by Ithildur, 15 September 2011 - 02:27 AM.

#20 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 03:08 AM

Where did you extract both of those files ? The exact folder, yes they need both to be in the same folder...

And by the way, it's easy to see what the .bat prints out when you edit it with Notepad and put a new line at the end with just this on it:
pause

Ah, I might as well.
I would advice to pin this thread and make a comment thread out of the rest of the posts.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola, 15 September 2011 - 03:14 AM.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.