baldur.ini keys

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Sam.

Sam.
  • Administrator
  • 1292 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 03:29 PM

Is there a database of the keys / values used in <baldur.ini> and what they do? In particular, I'm interested in the ones that probably can't be set by the configuration program, such as:

Disable Movies=1
Logging On=1

etc.

"Ok, I've just about had my FILL of riddle asking, quest assigning, insult throwing, pun hurling, hostage taking, iron mongering, smart-arsed fools, freaks, and felons that continually test my will, mettle, strength, intelligence, and most of all, patience! If you've got a straight answer ANYWHERE in that bent little head of yours, I want to hear it pretty damn quick or I'm going to take a large blunt object roughly the size of Elminster AND his hat, and stuff it lengthwise into a crevice of your being so seldom seen that even the denizens of the nine hells themselves wouldn't touch it with a twenty-foot rusty halberd! Have I MADE myself perfectly CLEAR?!"

--<CHARNAME> to Portalbendarwinden

--------------------

post-10485-0-15080600-1348188745.jpg
___________Old pen and paper modules of the 70s and 80s.___________

CA Forums CA Homepage

#2 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 04:28 PM

There are a few in the game readmes but I don't know if there's a comprehensive list. I'm sure it'd be useful for the IESDP.

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#3 Displacer

Displacer
  • 42 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 04:36 PM

I'm working on a list for PST, not sure how many would translate to BG though. You can find it here
Decimal is for the weak

#4 the bigg

the bigg

2083 is a prime number.

• Modder
  • 3331 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 12:58 AM

I'm sure disassembling the EXE and looking for FF150053AA00 ( = call dword[00AA5300] = call KERNEL32.GetPrivateProfileStringA) and FF150453AA00 ( = call dword[00AA5304] = call KERNEL32.GetPrivateProfileIntA) would turn up something interesting. (those values are for ToB, not sure if they work for other games as well)

Edited by the bigg, 28 July 2009 - 12:58 AM.

Italian users: help test the Stivan NPC!

Author or Co-Author: WeiDU - Widescreen - Generalized Biffing - Refinements - TB#Tweaks - IWD2Tweaks - TB#Characters - Traify Tool - Some mods that I won't mention in public
Maintainer: Semi-Multi Clerics - Nalia Mod - Nvidia Fix
Code dumps: Detect custom secondary types - Stutter Investigator

If possible, send diffs, translations and other contributions using Git.

#5 Taimon

Taimon
  • 387 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 03:54 AM

Try "Super Atomic Speed Fighting Action=1" in [Game Options]. ;)

There aren't much interesting "undocumented" options for the BG2 baldur.ini.
Might want to check out this G3-Thread.

#6 GeN1e

GeN1e

A very GAR character

• Modder
  • 1604 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 09:38 AM

Try "Super Atomic Speed Fighting Action=1" in [Game Options].

It doesn't seem to be doing anything.

Retired from modding.

#7 Taimon

Taimon
  • 387 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 02:56 PM

Fight some enemies. (Like the first mephit that you encounter in SoA.)

#8 Sam.

Sam.
  • Administrator
  • 1292 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 06:02 PM

I'm sure it'd be useful for the IESDP.

Exactly what I was thinking....

I'm sure disassembling the EXE and looking for FF150053AA00 ( = call dword[00AA5300] = call KERNEL32.GetPrivateProfileStringA) and FF150453AA00 ( = call dword[00AA5304] = call KERNEL32.GetPrivateProfileIntA) would turn up something interesting. (those values are for ToB, not sure if they work for other games as well)

I'm afraid that's WAY beyond my ability.

Might want to check out this G3-Thread.

That's cool (and the type of thing that would make looking into this further worthwhile). I wish "they" hadn't seen the need to remove this type of thing before releasing the game.

"Ok, I've just about had my FILL of riddle asking, quest assigning, insult throwing, pun hurling, hostage taking, iron mongering, smart-arsed fools, freaks, and felons that continually test my will, mettle, strength, intelligence, and most of all, patience! If you've got a straight answer ANYWHERE in that bent little head of yours, I want to hear it pretty damn quick or I'm going to take a large blunt object roughly the size of Elminster AND his hat, and stuff it lengthwise into a crevice of your being so seldom seen that even the denizens of the nine hells themselves wouldn't touch it with a twenty-foot rusty halberd! Have I MADE myself perfectly CLEAR?!"

--------------------

CA Forums CA Homepage

#9 the bigg

the bigg

2083 is a prime number.

• Modder
  • 3331 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 12:32 AM

I'm afraid that's WAY beyond my ability.

Not really; find a disassembler on Google, disassemble bgmain.exe, open bgmain.asm in your text editor of choice, and use the built-in search function to search for those strings. Read the comments in the 20~30 lines before to see the various parameters to the function call.

Author or Co-Author: WeiDU - Widescreen - Generalized Biffing - Refinements - TB#Tweaks - IWD2Tweaks - TB#Characters - Traify Tool - Some mods that I won't mention in public

#10 Sam.

Sam.
  • Administrator
  • 1292 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 07:44 AM

Not really; find a disassembler on Google Yahoo!

Is there one you recommend?

--------------------

CA Forums CA Homepage

#11 the bigg

the bigg

2083 is a prime number.

• Modder
  • 3331 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 02:46 PM

I use dis3dnow, which is ancient but is free, is the first result on Google for 'disassembler gpl', and is more than enough to disassemble bgmain.exe.

#12 Sam.

Sam.
  • Administrator
  • 1292 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 08:12 PM

Here is the output:
Attached File  BGMain.rar   9.67MB   803 downloads

So far, I've found:

[Alias]
HD0:

[Program Options]
Disable Vertex Padding
Double Byte Character Support
First Run
Install Type
Drop Capitals
3D Acceleration
16Bit Textures
Full Screen
Display Frequency
Resolution
Screen Position X
Screen Position Y
SoftBlt
SoftBltFast
SoftMirrorBlt
SoftSrcKeyBlt
SoftSrcKeyBltFast
Use Mirror FX
Strref On
Logging On
Force Local IP
NT Smooth Sound
Disable Brighten
Force 50 Percent Transparent
Tooltips
Translucent Shadows
Gamma Correction
Brightness Correction
Backwards Compatible 3d
String Buffer
Sprite Mirror
Volume Movie
Volume Music
Volume Voices
Volume Ambients
Volume SFX
First Frame Outline
Debug Mode
Disable Movies
Over Confirm Everything
Alternate SR Curve
SR Curve Radius
BitsPerPixel
Path Search Nodes
Maximum Frame Rate
Display Subtitles
BitsPerPixel
Disable Sound
Use GLSetup
GLSetup Driver
Font Name
F NORMAL [=NORMAL]
F REALMS [=REALMS]
F STONEBIG [=STONEBIG]
F STONESML [=STONESML]
F TOOLFONT [=TOOLFONT]
F FLOATTXT [=FLOATTXT]

[Game Options]
Current Loading Hint
Tiles Precache Percent
Duplicate Floating Text
Area Effects Density
Area Effects Refresh Probability
Low End Machine
Low End Machine 2
Extra Combat Info
Critical Hit Screen Shake
Disable Casting Glows
Low Mem Sounds 1
Low Mem Sounds 2
Disable VEFVidCells
Disable Display Text
Mid Level Brighten
High Level Brighten
Enhanced Path Search
Enhanced Path Finding
Pausing Map
Extra Feedback
Filter Games
All Learn Spell Info
Use 3d Animations
Heal Party on Rest
Environmental Audio
Cheats
Memory Access
Memory Level
Footsteps
Mouse Scroll Speed
GUI Feedback Level
Locator Feedback Level
Bored Timeout
Always Dither
Subtitles
Keyboard Scroll Speed
Command Sounds Frequency
Selection Sounds Frequency
Effect Text Level
Infravision
Weather
Tutorial State
Attack Sounds
Auto Pause State
Auto Pause Center
Difficulty Level
Quick Item Mapping
Terrain Hugging
HP Over Head
Force Dialog Pause
Hotkeys On Tooltips
Disable Statics During Combat
Disable Foot Steps During Combat
Disable Placed Sounds During Combat
Super Atomic Speed Fighting Action
Automated Speed Adjustment
Automated Translucent Shadows
Automated Very Low Performance
Automated Low Performance
Automated Disable Brightest
Automated Limit Transparency
Automated Diable Casting Glows [Typo?]
Automated Disable VEFVidCells
Automated Mid Level Brighten
Automated High Level Brighten
Automated Foot Steps
Automated Attack Sounds
Automated 3D Animations
Automated Disable VVC Sounds
Automated Faster Blur
Fully Disable Non Visible During Combat
Disable VVC Sounds
Faster Blur
Filter Games
One Time Popup
Never Show Nuisance SOA
Never Show Nuisance
WILD SURGE KEYS

[Config]
CacheSize [=300]

[Movies]
BILOGO
INFELOGO
INT16BIT
INTRO
OUTRO
MELISSAN
ENDCRDIT
CREDITS

[GameSpy]
Enabled
Port
Location [=US]

[Multiplayer]
Port
Client Timeout
Pausing Dialog
Import Character
Serial Port
Serial Baud
NoPlayerTimeout
Default Permissions
AsyncEnumeration [=0]
Last Protocol Used
Modem Selected
Player Name
Session Password
Session Name
TCP/IP Address
Phone Number

[RogerWilco]
Enabled

The [=****] are from third lines of String Data that I think might be the default setting if nothing else is specified.

--------------------

CA Forums CA Homepage

#13 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 10:47 PM

Interestin'. Why are some of them red?

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#14 Sam.

Sam.
  • Administrator
  • 1292 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 07:15 AM

Interestin'. Why are some of them red?

They are just the ones that jumped out at me as being interesting enough to put at the top of the list to check out. Super Atomic Speed Fighting Action has already been determined to have no effect, though.

EDIT: And the one that seems to have a typo in the executable. I wonder if the config program spells it right...?

Edited by Sam., 04 August 2009 - 07:19 AM.

--------------------

CA Forums CA Homepage

#15 Taimon

Taimon
  • 387 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 03:56 AM

Super Atomic Speed Fighting Action has already been determined to have no effect, though.

It does have an effect, but it's rather useless. Try fighting some enemies, when you have this set.
They will warp around like crazy.

#16 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 09 August 2009 - 07:20 PM

They are just the ones that jumped out at me as being interesting enough to put at the top of the list to check out. Super Atomic Speed Fighting Action has already been determined to have no effect, though.

Over Confirm Everything=0 (default is 1) kills all the dumb confirmation dialogs (Are you sure you want to delete this spell? Are you sure you want to quit? Please wipe my butt.) It's noted in the Power User.txt IIRC.

Never Show Nuisance are the dumb "Welcome to SoA/ToB" dialogs that ToB added. These will be set to 1 if you click the Never Show Again button (and they'll never be shown again).

Like Taimon has been trying to hint, Super Atomic simply makes people Phase (phase is a worthless effect that just jumps you around when enemies are nearby, used for those stupid boots).

I don't know if Mirror FX actually works; Sprite Mirror does but can crash with the old Elminster and Drizzt type animations (and all PC avatars are already mirrored in BG2 anyway).

#17 Sam.

Sam.
  • Administrator
  • 1292 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 08:25 PM

Over Confirm Everything=0 (default is 1) kills all the dumb confirmation dialogs (Are you sure you want to delete this spell? Are you sure you want to quit? Please wipe my butt.) It's noted in the Power User.txt IIRC.

I love how cleverly blunt you put that :P .

Anyway, here is a table I complied that lists the:
Key | Default Value | Accepted Value Range | Description
there's still a few unknowns if anyone cares to contribute....

Attached File  Baldur_INI_Keys.xls   47K   1400 downloads

--------------------

CA Forums CA Homepage

#18 -Karsus-

-Karsus-

Posted 11 December 2011 - 05:11 AM

Thank you very much for the quick replies.
I have double checked my .INI file, and it didn't have the First Run=0 setting so I added that line.
However, I also have noticed a setting that is not reported in your sheet...
Might it be that the problem lays with it?

[Program Options]
Installing=1

-Karsus