Photo

[BGT] CTD when getting waylaid

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Solen

Solen
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 01:25 PM

Basically, when traveling from anywhere in Athlaka to somewhere outside the city, in this case, the fighter stronghold I'll get a 'You are being waylaid.." after the auto-save and right when the loading screen is finished. However, I never see anything past that and get a CTD with the error message being: in TobEX

ASSERTION FAILED! Return Address: 0x9FFB75 File: ChVidImage3d.cpp Line: 899 Expression: FALSE Message: CVidCell::FXRender3dSetPalette: LoadFrame() failed

My WeiDU log

Edit: A edit of sorts; this is apparently happening whenever I travel anywhere that has anything to do with random encounters. Within athlaka or traveling outside of.

Edit 2: I should mention this only happened when the game transitioned over to BG2

Edit 3: Was messing around a bit with it. Using MoveToArea any of the random encounter areas (AR0041-46) will cause the crash. 

Edit 3.5: Downloaded Near Infinity and checked out the area scripts. Never used the program before, but realized a trend between the areas and that was obviously the global variables and the encounter scripts. Summoning resuna will cause a crash in my game. No idea why at the moment. Checking out the cre.

Edit 4. Checked out all the items, could've been the weapon but that checked out. Ended up changing the animation ID and that seemed to work out. Not sure why, but L_FIGHTER_FEMALE_ELF - 25635 specifically in RESUNA.CRE is causing me to crash. I thought it could have been the weapon in conjunction with the specific animation, however that does not seem to be the case when testing it out with another NPC with the same animation ID. I may just change the animation and call it good, but it does bug me.

Spoiler

Edited by Solen, 10 March 2013 - 09:15 PM.

#2 Ulb

Ulb
  • Modder
  • 373 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 11:50 AM

If I'm not mistaken Infinity Animations removes all  lower_ animations and uses those spots for the new animation ids. So that explains why  L_FIGHTER_FEMALE_ELF crashes your game. If you set all cres with L_animations to their normal animations you should be fine...

Edited by Ulb, 11 March 2013 - 11:50 AM.

#3 Solen

Solen
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:25 PM

If I'm not mistaken Infinity Animations removes all  lower_ animations and uses those spots for the new animation ids. So that explains why  L_FIGHTER_FEMALE_ELF crashes your game. If you set all cres with L_animations to their normal animations you should be fine...

Yeah, I Just changed it when I posted the edit. I was more posting my findings as I came across it at the time. 

#4 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:06 PM

By default, resuna has a normal (not an L_* or "LOW") female elf animation. I dunno, maybe someone changed it - can you do a weidu --change-log (see pinned topics if you need help with that) on resuna.cre? Also, note you need to start a new game after installing mods like Infinity Animations, though that perhaps isn't the issue.

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#5 Nyunya

Nyunya
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 11:49 PM

Hi, i have nearly a same problem.
I have bg1,2 GOG version, i used BWS. It seemed to be okay. I played BG1 full without any crashes, just some kind of minor bugs. But in Bg2, when travelling inside Athlaka,and a band of thieves about to attack(the first band), my game crashes.  I realized from another forums, that some kind of animation crashed my game. So i reainstalled 3 times, with almost the same mod list, started a new game,but the bug is still occurs. I think, in my next install i will exclude all of the IA,and 1pp mods, maybe it will works proprely. But if you can solve my problem, it would be fantastic.

Baldur.err:

Spoiler

WEIDU log:

Spoiler

Edited by Nyunya, 18 March 2013 - 12:16 AM.

#6 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 02:39 PM

Download Area CRE Checker from that post - extract and run it as you would if installing a mod. Do so for each area from ar0041 to ar0046 (the random encounter areas). Follow the Usage instructions in that post - e.g., after each execution of the utility, start a new game and CLUAConsole:MoveToArea("t-test"). If you get any crashes on specific creatures, report the results here and post the according areatest/areatest.txt log file in SPOILER tags.

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#7 tachyon

tachyon
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 03:23 AM

I came across this issue recently, when transitioning to AR0041, AR0045 and AR0046. The CRE in question was D0QPHAR1, which came out with UNKNOWN_CRE and UNKNOWN_BAM in arealog.txt. Unfortunately I couldn't find this particular CRE with --biff-type CRE --biff-str D0QPHAR1 for some reason.

EDIT: replaced D0QPHAR1 with RESUNA, didn't work either. MoveToArea("t-test") for the above AR* were completed successfully without crashing. However, MoveToArea() 0041 etc. still crashed the session.

Not quite sure what to do now...

Edited by tachyon, 13 April 2013 - 04:53 AM.

#8 rainagel

rainagel
  • 18 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 03:10 AM

Sorry for the posting, just want to be of some help :D

1. Open NI;
2. Locate the cre file named as "Resuna.cre", then switch to Edit mode;
3. Find the "Animation ID" entry, click on it;
4. Change the ID to "FIGHTER_FEMALE_ELF - 24849";
5. Update the value and save.

You might also need to modify the "D0QPHAR1,cre" manually but I'm not sure.

Hope that can help you.

#9 -Aegon-

-Aegon-

Posted 23 August 2013 - 05:05 AM

Encountered exactly the same issue. I had installed the "Recommended" mod pack via BWS. Game used to always crash when leaving Athlaka the first time. Changing the Animation ID with Near Infinity fixed the issue.

Just wanted to say thanks. :)

#10 kab

kab
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 01:31 PM

Encountered exactly the same issue. I had installed the "Recommended" mod pack via BWS. Game used to always crash when leaving Athlaka the first time. Changing the Animation ID with Near Infinity fixed the issue.

Just wanted to say thanks. :)

Ditto this.

Thanks.

Edited by kab, 24 August 2013 - 01:32 PM.

#11 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 09:09 PM

Would someone who can reproduce this problem use NearInfinity to export the crashing CRE file as well as the ITMs that it has equipped? (also your WeiDU.log :P)

A bit of debugging earlier found out that it was incomplete helm animations from 1PPv4 that caused some of the crashes -but since I don't see 1PPv4 in your installs and RESUNA.CRE doesn't wear a helm in my game (albeit doesn't crash as well :P), it'd be great to find the source of the crashing now.

"I am the smiley addict, yellow and round, this is my grin :D when I'm usually around :P.
When there's trouble brewing, see me post, cuz it's usually a wall o' yellow and your eyes are toast!!!"

BWP GUIDE - BWP FIXES - impFAQ - NPC LIST - KIT LIST - AREA LIST

GitHub Links : BWP Fixpack | Lolfixer | BWP Trimpack | RezMod

#12 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 03:59 AM

One of the biggest disadvantages of 1PP is it doesn't introduce error-checking in the code. Hence, lots of potential bad crashes for missing/bad animations. Screws me over all the time when I try to load other peoples' saves on my puny minimalist install without 1PP.

--------------
Retired Modder
Note: I do not respond to profile comments/personal messages in regards to troubleshooting my modifications. Please post on the public forums instead.

Baldur's Gate Trilogy-WeiDU and Mods
Throne of Bhaal Extender (TobEx)

Contributions: (NWN2) A Deathstalker (voice acting) - (IWD2) IWD2 NPC Project (soundset editing) - (Misc) SHS PC Soundsets (voice acting)
Legacy: (BG/Tutu/BGT) Beregost Crash Fixer 1.9 (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Enable conversations with charmed/dominated creatures (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Experience Corrections (18 Jul 10) - (Misc) Platform Conversion Utility RC2 (13 Feb 10)

#13 10th

10th
  • 621 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 06:37 AM

Would someone who can reproduce this problem use NearInfinity to export the crashing CRE file as well as the ITMs that it has equipped? (also your WeiDU.log :P)

A bit of debugging earlier found out that it was incomplete helm animations from 1PPv4 that caused some of the crashes -but since I don't see 1PPv4 in your installs and RESUNA.CRE doesn't wear a helm in my game (albeit doesn't crash as well :P), it'd be great to find the source of the crashing now.

Imho in retrospect it's an installation order issue.
BG1 Animations is currently installed near the end of a BWP install, while 1pp/IR are installed at the beginning/middle.
You fixed it by installing those helmet animations again, which means a fix could be IA and then 1pp/IR. And all of them near the end after any other mods.

But then you yourself admitted that those new animations looked like crap on all those LOW-animations, therefore wouldn't it be better to simply exclude BG1 Animations from BWP?
Especially since they were never meant for PCs.

10th
Avast! You cannot defeat our titan-mounted submarine staffed by cannibal vikings! - Nodwick

"I grab his deceased spirit and piledrive it back into his body, duplicating raise dead." - Psyren Oots board

#14 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 07:51 AM

What I understood from the entire helm fiasco was that 1PPv4 itself was at fault because it left the JC animation sequence incomplete :unsure: (I haven't had IR in my installs for quite some time and still had crashing Kagains)

I can have a patch made that fixes that within 1PPv4 itself if needed :) IR is not involved at all.

Also, while the animations looked shit (horned helms looking like ^#@!ing skullcaps... among other things) BG1 animations provide:

- variety ;) We all love it now don't we :D

- and more importantly, no sprite mirroring (first time I noticed it too actually... never noticed it in BG1 :P)

Also 1PP's avatar changing components ensure that any party-joinable NPCs ALWAYS have their BG2 animations when you change their armor so the only time you're gonna see shitty mismatched helm animations is on NPCs that you can kill talk to for friendly banter :ermm:

Edited by Lollorian, 25 August 2013 - 07:54 AM.

"I am the smiley addict, yellow and round, this is my grin :D when I'm usually around :P.
When there's trouble brewing, see me post, cuz it's usually a wall o' yellow and your eyes are toast!!!"

#15 10th

10th
  • 621 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 08:19 AM

Yes, IR isn't involved, yet.
But the next version of IR will include 1pp v4 content.

10th
Avast! You cannot defeat our titan-mounted submarine staffed by cannibal vikings! - Nodwick

"I grab his deceased spirit and piledrive it back into his body, duplicating raise dead." - Psyren Oots board

#16 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5148 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 02:45 PM

Yes, IR isn't involved, yet.
But the next version of IR will include 1pp v4 content.

10th
Which is why this should be brought up at 1pp forum ... and give the fix there, so Demi can find it there. I'll let you Lollorian form the bug report & fix suggestion etc... :devil:

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#17 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 05:54 AM

Aye capitan! :cheers:

Meanwhile, I'll just reiterate that the thing mentioned in this thread doesn't seem to be related to the helm anims at all so people having the crash should please still help us debug it :P

Do that by (rudimentary nearinifnity/DLTCEP knowledge needed):

- exporting the crashing CRE file

- exporting all the ITM files of all the items in the CRE's inventory (only the ones equipped by the CRE are enough)

That should be all :D