Photo

Rescaling Portraits and Paperdolls

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Xigyig

Xigyig
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 12:18 PM

Hi! So I have a couple ideas, but I don't know if they can be done.

The first is increasing the dimensions of portraits and/or paper dolls in the GUI (party sidebar, dialog box, status/inventory screen). Can this be done? I assume it can't, since I haven't seen it done, but I couldn't find such information through searching.

The second involves assigning portraits to nonrecruitable NPCs (such as Firkraag, the Sahuagin King, etc). The only way I know to assign those portraits is by overriding the .cre files. I'm not necessarily asking for specifics, but is there a way to implement such a mod without making it incompatible with modes that also modify those characters?

Thanks in advance! And sorry if this is already answered elsewhere. I have limited experience modding BG.

#2 Sam.

Sam.
  • Administrator
  • 1294 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 01:03 PM

The second involves assigning portraits to nonrecruitable NPCs (such as Firkraag, the Sahuagin King, etc). The only way I know to assign those portraits is by overriding the .cre files. I'm not necessarily asking for specifics, but is there a way to implement such a mod without making it incompatible with modes that also modify those characters?

I believe the "Faces!" mod by Irbis & Jalily did this, but appears to have been removed from SHS for copyright reasons.  You can probably still find it somewhere in the ether if you look, though.

"Ok, I've just about had my FILL of riddle asking, quest assigning, insult throwing, pun hurling, hostage taking, iron mongering, smart-arsed fools, freaks, and felons that continually test my will, mettle, strength, intelligence, and most of all, patience! If you've got a straight answer ANYWHERE in that bent little head of yours, I want to hear it pretty damn quick or I'm going to take a large blunt object roughly the size of Elminster AND his hat, and stuff it lengthwise into a crevice of your being so seldom seen that even the denizens of the nine hells themselves wouldn't touch it with a twenty-foot rusty halberd! Have I MADE myself perfectly CLEAR?!"

--<CHARNAME> to Portalbendarwinden

--------------------

post-10485-0-15080600-1348188745.jpg
___________Old pen and paper modules of the 70s and 80s.___________

CA Forums CA Homepage

#3 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5150 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 01:13 PM

. The only way I know to assign those portraits is by overriding the .cre files. I'm not necessarily asking for specifics, but is there a way to implement such a mod without making it incompatible with modes that also modify those characters?

Yeah assigning a picture is easy, you just need to patch the .cre file using weidu command... it's actually very easy when you learn how to do it.

Now the GUI's space for the portrait is small without the Widescreen mod, and editing the space is even harder without specific settings in the widescreen mod... and knowing how the whole thing works... and then not damaging it... and unfortunately thebigg has lost his interest in IE moding for a while, so we'll just need to hope he returns soon.
Or course if we had all the pictures ready it might be easier... but that's pretty far fetched to go on a limb in the hopes to getting this.

It goes like this:

Traditional mod start ... with backup, component name, coder name etc. then:

COPY ~modname/bgiporta.bmp~ ~override/bgiporta.bmp~

COPY_EXISTING ~modname/xxx.cre~ ~override/xxx.cre~  //the xxx is the already existing .cre code for the character you wish to patch
WRITE_ASCII 0x34 bgiporta      /*this it the file name without the .bmp extension. The 0x34 is the smaller/dialog picture, the medium is not used, and can't be made to be used */

Edited by The Imp, 11 July 2013 - 01:40 PM.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#4 Mike1072

Mike1072
  • Modder
  • 539 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 01:36 PM

The first is increasing the dimensions of portraits and/or paper dolls in the GUI (party sidebar, dialog box, status/inventory screen). Can this be done? I assume it can't, since I haven't seen it done, but I couldn't find such information through searching.

That would require modifying the game executable.

// copy portrait of sahuagin king into the game
COPY ~MyPortraitMod/portraits/sahuaginking.bmp~ ~override/xgsaking.bmp~ // .bmp filename should use your modder prefix and be 8 characters or less

// assign portrait to sahuagin king
COPY_EXISTING ~sahkin01.cre~ ~override~
  WRITE_ASCII 0x34 ~xgsaking~ #8 // small portrait

#5 -Xigyig-

-Xigyig-

Posted 11 July 2013 - 02:13 PM

Thanks for the information! That helps a lot. Now I just have to decide if I want to commit to drawing portraits that will only be seen at 38x60  :) . At least the small portraits for the Enhanced Edition are 54x84, though I'm more excited about working on portraits for the sequel.

@Imp: In your example code, you mentioned that the medium portrait can't be made to be used. What exactly do you mean by this? I know Irenicus has a medium portrait, though he's the only example I know of.