Photo

BiG World Setup (an attempt to update the program)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5286 replies to this topic

#3261 Hack'N'Slash

Hack'N'Slash
  • 109 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 06:39 AM

Hey agb1, I ran BWS(from about 2 days ago) to do a tactical install of EET. The SCS components you mentioned did through an error but I continued and all went well except for The Sellswords. Retried it and still didn't work. Manually dropped the patch into the folder and it installed(every other patched seemed to work).

Only other problem I encountered was an 'Out of Memory' which I got around by starting again and only have BWS running. I have 32GB of Ram on my machine so maybe this resurfaced again for me? http://forums.pocket...p?topic=29506.0

Only bug/problem so far in game play was the no response option for 'There was a slow boat KaraTur' mod. Ended up using the keyboard and hit 1 to get out of the dialogue box.

#3262 agb1

agb1
  • 1623 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 06:50 AM

Hi Hack'N'Slash, thanks for the report.  I haven't fixed Sellswords yet.  The out of memory problem is caused by having too much installed in the BG:EE folder before running EET.  It's not about how much memory your system has.  Over time if not direct solution is found then this problem can be worked around by converting more of the BG:EE mods to be able to install after EET.

Do you remember which dialogue in Kara'tur had no response option?

Edit:  I looked at Sellswords.  The error is caused by a patching collision because BWS is using both K4thos' patches and the BiG World Fixpack patches.  When I finish merging K4thos' patches, it will be fine.

Edited by agb1, 22 November 2016 - 07:12 AM.

BiG World Fixpack (community collection of mod fixes and compatibility patches, with user-friendly cross-platform script)

BiG World Setup (tool to automate best-practice installation of Infinity Engine mods on Windows, with conflict analysis)

Latest version:    https://bitbucket.or.../get/master.zip

#3263 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 08:08 AM

Do you remember which dialogue in Kara'tur had no response option?

It is ktqdlg.dlg (no typo, it is really called such) . it has an answer (you have no choice but accept. which will place a non-removable item into your inventory). The problem is a text block too large for display so that the answer is not visible but only selectable per keyboard.

Solution would be to split the epic explanation of the quest giver into several dialogue states.

General (personal) remark - The mod adds some nice items to the game but the dialogues and quest are pretty low standard (or bad translation into english). The battle to solve the quest is completely nuts for early BG1. It is one of a number of mods that may give EET some negative reputation at its early stage and it is not a good idea to put it into a standard installation (the EET mod compatibility list tries to be neutral in this respect - it lists all stuff that can be technically installed but it is not to be understood as a recommendation)..

Edited by Roxanne, 22 November 2016 - 08:12 AM.

The Sandrah Saga

another piece of *buggy, cheesy, unbalanced junk*

#3264 agb1

agb1
  • 1623 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 08:13 AM

Sounds like a UI bug revealed by sloppy modding.  If text doesn't fit in the dialogue window, a scroll bar should appear allowing you to view all of the text and available responses.

I've now reclassified the Kara'tur mod as "Tactical" for BWS.

Edited by agb1, 22 November 2016 - 08:17 AM.

BiG World Fixpack (community collection of mod fixes and compatibility patches, with user-friendly cross-platform script)

BiG World Setup (tool to automate best-practice installation of Infinity Engine mods on Windows, with conflict analysis)

#3265 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 08:18 AM

Sounds like a UI bug revealed by sloppy modding.  If text doesn't fit in the dialogue window, a scroll bar should appear allowing you to view all of the text and available responses.

STATE 2

Bag of Red left I did ... haste you see needed we three ... magic and sealed this Bag of Red be, useful not but to only me. Frustrated the enemies will be, as no treasure exist but this Bag of Red. By fight or by stealth, perhaps parlay ... whatever may be, bring this Bag of Red to me, treasures of places far and wide, sell to you fair you'll see.

Ran we did fast and far, long it was not ago ... two moons for me ... where it is still remember I do. Travel to the south ... then west you'll go, to the shore and sandy coast. Ship you will see, abandoned with haste, gaurded presummed by the crew of we three, as still the songs linger doest believes me. Bag of Red you will find, if look hard and long you will try. Return to me as quick you can, Bag of Red you bring to me.

Bag of Red indeed has weight, lift cannot a giant with strength, need my crystal for the bag to carry ... give to you with trust I in you have. Little we have left, we meager three, defend your ears and heart will these, take them all free from me. Clarity of mind will need thee, as the songs are magical and will compell ... then all but yee strongest enemies will be. Potions I have, gaurd against songs they yet might ... if potions you want?
(StrRef: 304106)

RESPONSE

Yes, any help you can give would be welcomed.
(StrRef: 304107)

ACTION

GiveItemCreate("KTSnow",Player1,1,0,0) // Ice Crystal
GiveItemCreate("POTN21",Player1,6,0,0) // Potion of Clarity

At a minimum, each of the three parts of the state should be made one individual state. The response is probably just bad translation and there should be an option to say no, because the KTSnow item can only be removed by solving the quest.

Edited by Roxanne, 22 November 2016 - 08:18 AM.

The Sandrah Saga

another piece of *buggy, cheesy, unbalanced junk*

#3266 agb1

agb1
  • 1623 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 08:32 AM

It's speech in rhyme, mostly ... a common trope for madmen and jesters, with some typos (gaurded presummed -> guarded presumed? better previously; compell -> compel).  The "useful not but to only me" should probably be changed to "useful not except to me."  The "where it is still remember I do" doesn't rhyme, could be changed to "where it is too, still remember I do."  Very Yoda, that.  Alternatively, just:  "remember where it is still."  Some parts I don't understand:  "still the songs linger doest believes me" and "then all but yee strongest enemies will be" ?  "yee" is wrong, "ye" could be archaic for "you", but what does it mean?

#3267 Cahir

Cahir
  • Modder
  • 133 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 11:34 AM

Agb1 what's the difference between a github branch of Big World Fixpack and the version uploaded by Leonardo at Kerzenburg? Which one is up to date?

#3268 agb1

agb1
  • 1623 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 11:48 AM

The Fixpack on GitHub includes everything applicable from Leonardo's v16 Fixpack release and more fixes since then.  See here and here and here (everything Nov 19 and later is not in the v16 Fixpack).

Edited by agb1, 22 November 2016 - 11:49 AM.

#3269 Cahir

Cahir
  • Modder
  • 133 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 12:03 PM

Roger that. Great work you're doing with BWS and BWP Fixpack.

#3270 Jakar

Jakar
  • 47 posts

Posted 26 November 2016 - 10:44 AM

So, there is still no possibility to install Tortured Souls with BWS? Same "coud not extract baldurdash 1.74" dependency problem? No more news

#3271 agb1

agb1
  • 1623 posts

Posted 26 November 2016 - 11:01 AM

There is a new version of both TS and Baldurdash, and Vlad has said these might be merged in the future.  Meanwhile, it's a lot of work to update the patches (Baldurdash is huge and it has a lot of overlap with the BG2 Fixpack that we always use in BWS, and Vlad keeps moving the components around between versions, so we have to compare line-by-line to rebuild the patches), and we haven't gotten to it yet.  It is on the TODO list, of course.

#3272 Jakar

Jakar
  • 47 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 12:34 AM

Beside TS, Ascension won't install too (tried twice). Not that i need it a lot, but it's on "recommended" list, so now i'm scared to break something important if i remove it from the list. I don't know if Crossmode banter pack is related to this, but it won't install too. Also the "Nightfarer's Item Patcher" (have no idea what is it) is "not found" while installing, even if BWS won't alert me that something is missing. 

Spoiler

Don't know what to do now. Was waiting for Vlad's "i don't care for BWP" politics changing like for years (i really liked TS - the only big mode i am interested to play in BG). Well, i could live without TS, of course. Chose to install "almost recommended" install - should i wait for ascension, banter packs and "patches" working, or won't notice?
Thanks for your job guys in advance. 

Edited by Jakar, 28 November 2016 - 12:42 AM.

#3273 agb1

agb1
  • 1623 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 04:37 AM

Jakar, thanks for the reports. I will fix these later today. Certainly nothing game breaking there but you lose some content with those parts that did not install.

What was the banter pack error?

#3274 Jakar

Jakar
  • 47 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 12:47 PM

Jakar, thanks for the reports. I will fix these later today. Certainly nothing game breaking there but you lose some content with those parts that did not install.

What was the banter pack error?

Whoops, sorry, forgot banter packs:

Spoiler

#3275 zonx

zonx
  • 93 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 02:26 PM

I saw this crossmod error too recently over the weekend (on an EET install), you can see here it's an issue with just a blank.log file (that is 0 bytes). I created the file as suggested and got this to install fine.

Have much luck with the out of memory issues agb1 with EET? I don't have any suggestions. Ran a large EET install over the weekend probably 12 times and only twice did I manage to get it to install OK with out of memory woes. Not sure what I did differently, was the same selection. 

#3276 agb1

agb1
  • 1623 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 02:53 PM

I haven't figured out the memory issue, no.  Roxanne had a theory that Mur'Neth might be causing some problem in the dialogue, since she had a successful install without that mod, but I haven't tested that theory yet.  My last install attempt failed with out of memory on a Skie dialog file; I left out BG1NPC's Shar'Teel Romance Core this time, so I don't know if it would have stalled on her dialogue again otherwise.  Finding some kind of solution to this is on my to-do list.  If all else fails, we can probably split up the EET DLG patching code into multiple steps, assuming Wisp's analysis is correct and it's a result of trying to do too much match-and-replace on large DLG files.

#3277 agb1

agb1
  • 1623 posts

Posted 29 November 2016 - 01:19 AM

I've checked in a good chunk, but not all, of the merged patches for EET.  I still have a backlog of additional work and troubleshooting, including the out of memory issue, so I'm not ready to flip the switch yet, but maybe tomorrow - with luck.

#3278 zonx

zonx
  • 93 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 12:05 PM

Grabbing the test branch from this link results in an error trying to run it. Is the test branch missing something that your local copy has or something?

#3279 agb1

agb1
  • 1623 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 12:10 PM

Oops, the test branch isn't even supposed to be public.  And it seems I've been pushing some changes to the wrong branch.

Edit:  try now?  I zapped the test branch and made everything else public after reverting Setup.ini.

Edited by agb1, 30 November 2016 - 12:18 PM.

#3280 zonx

zonx
  • 93 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 12:54 PM

All good now :)