Photo

BiG World Setup (an attempt to update the program)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5286 replies to this topic

#5081 -The Imp-

-The Imp-

Posted 11 April 2018 - 01:41 AM

Help/Feedback needed

If true, it is not a real problem but It may become a bit of a nuisance since the tool downloads github-hosted mods linked to the master branch anew every time since it cannot verify the update status.
Unless that can be overcome, I still would argue that to have stable reliable download links has priority over speed, but that is just my personal view.
It's very likely true.
What you should try is to mix up the download addresses from different source at the same time... as getting a mod from G3 and one from SHSforum is bothering the same server, while getting a one from PPG won't, nor from Github, etc places.
The likely bottleneck is the server RAM speed.

#5082 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 05:05 AM

Help/Feedback needed

I am currently running tests for a streamlined version of old BWS to overcome many known recent issues of the aged tool, so it may survive for a bit longer.

I make the following observation regarding mods hosted on github:

Download of many (especially large) mods can take some time if they are all hosted in the same user's repositories.

I take the mods hosted by myself on github as an example (about 30 mods) - it looks like even though BWS can download parallel files (up to 5) this narrows down to a single one if they are hosted at the same address. This way bunching of mods at a single point e.g. https://github.com/RoxanneSHS or https://github.com/BiGWorldProject (just naming the ones I know personally) may lead to bottleneck effects.

Does anyone have similar experience or - even better - some technical insight that my assumption is false or correct?

If true, it is not a real problem but It may become a bit of a nuisance since the tool downloads github-hosted mods linked to the master branch anew  every time since it cannot verify the update status.

Unless that can be overcome, I still would argue that to have stable reliable download links has priority over speed, but that is just my personal view.

Further research in BWS code shows that the tool creates a download queue for each server and runs up to 5 downloads in parallel, i.e.1 from each server. So when all the G3, SHS etc mods are downloaded, the github queue is still busy just because it has today the most and the biggest mods and only one of them is grabbed at a time. After first 10 minutes, all other queues are finished and then just github still provides stuff.

Obviously no chance for improvement here, just something to bear in mind.

The Sandrah Saga

another piece of *buggy, cheesy, unbalanced junk*

#5083 Fouinto

Fouinto
  • 458 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 09:29 AM

Further research in BWS code shows that the tool creates a download queue for each server and runs up to 5 downloads in parallel, i.e.1 from each server.

Hi, this is often considered as a good practice (a "good way" to do it) because this way is "respectful" towards servers.

#5084 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 09:43 AM

Further research in BWS code shows that the tool creates a download queue for each server and runs up to 5 downloads in parallel, i.e.1 from each server.

Hi, this is often considered as a good practice (a "good way" to do it) because this way is "respectful" towards servers.

I fully understand that. I just was wondering about the *trend* with BWS to take much longer for downloading mods than it did in the past.

The reason is obvious now, the 5 parallel downloads just work during the early minutes of the process while the tool grabs smaller mods from various sites. At the same time it downloads just 1 or 2 big mods (e.g.250MB for EET) from github.

I just estimated that about 70 per cent of the data volume needed for an EET install is hosted today on github (which is a good thing, no doubt), but it takes longer for that part of an install. It is not a problem because it does not consume user's time, it it just something I stumbled across during my attempts to carve some more efficient tool out of the heritage BWS.

The Sandrah Saga

#5085 enderandrew

enderandrew
  • 166 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 09:23 PM

regarding 1)
Look at AjantisJ.dlg in Near Infinity. Search for a state that contains
~During the Time of Troubles, Helm did nothing but his duty, my lady.~
Check which response options you see and what their StrRef's are.
Do you have other weird text issues? It may be that some StrRef's are scrambled in your install.
I haven't noticed other text issues yet, but I do wonder if StrRefs on the whole are hosed if Imoen is throwing out text from an Ajantis mod. These are results from AJANTJ.DLG

State 340:
During the Time of Troubles, Helm did nothing but his duty, my lady. #290317

R0: We really don't have the time or the inclination. #20021
R1: We really don't have the time or the inclination. #20021
R2. If it pays well, sure. #20022
R3. Yes, we're interested. #231086

State 341:

R0: We really don't have the time or the inclination. #20021
R1: We really don't have the time or the inclination. #20021
R2. If it pays well, sure. #20022
R3. Yes, we're interested. #231086

State 2447:

R0. Sure. I admire Helm for his firmness. #290318
R1. Sure. I admire Helm for his firmness. #290318
R2. Still I hav a different opinion. #290319
R3. I know, Ajantis. I worship Helm as you do, but it's always wise to look at history with an open and critical mind. #290320
R4. Your babbling about Helm is tiresome! I won't listen any more. #290321

I assume that is all correct. But the phrase also pops up in IMOEN2J.DLG for some reason.

https://i.imgur.com/mpADtXc.jpg

I'm curious what mods may have written to the IMOEN2J.DLG file in my install.

Edited by enderandrew, 11 April 2018 - 09:25 PM.

Nihilism makes me smile.

#5086 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 10:51 PM

I'm curious what mods may have written to the IMOEN2J.DLG file in my install.

You can use change-log to see which mods add to Imoen2J.dlg. It will be many, but you will be able to see which one does the *bad changes*.

What I see in your screenshot is that your Imoen2J has over 7000 states. I compare it to my own really big EET Install where I have 2245 states in that file. Even given that we may have one or the other difference in our mod choices, 3 times as much is a bit conspicuous. It fits to your observations that she has lines she should not have.

The Sandrah Saga

#5087 -QuickThoughts WiggleBocks-

-QuickThoughts WiggleBocks-

Posted 11 April 2018 - 11:17 PM

I've been noticing a trend with Imoen being constantly broken due to one mod or another, and I'm wondering what exactly are modders doing to that poor character? On Occasion she gets broken in BG1, there was also the recent issues with Imoen in SoD..I don't know if that was ever fixed.

I think there was the occasional hiccup with Imoen in BG2, either Modders are just monkey wrenching the poor character or there is something else entirely.

#5088 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5148 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 11:40 PM

I've been noticing a trend with Imoen being constantly broken due to one mod or another, and I'm wondering what exactly are modders doing to that poor character? On Occasion she gets broken in BG1, there was also the recent issues with Imoen in SoD..I don't know if that was ever fixed.

I think there was the occasional hiccup with Imoen in BG2, either Modders are just monkey wrenching the poor character or there is something else entirely.

The reason for this is that by definition, Imoen is the one character that's nearly always in the player party, so much like the players own char, Imoen is nearly always at least in some content of a NPC mods, as the SoA kinda revolves around Imoen and Irenicus plot more than the player char.

Edited by The Imp, 11 April 2018 - 11:44 PM.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#5089 enderandrew

enderandrew
  • 166 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 07:26 AM

You can use change-log to see which mods add to Imoen2J.dlg. It will be many, but you will be able to see which one does the *bad changes*.

Am I supposed to just run "weidu --change-log imoen2j.dlg" or something else? Here is the output from that.

https://pastebin.com/kS3qTR0N

If I search across all my logs, here are all the references to imoen2j.dlg

https://pastebin.com/dJrX4EsP

I'm going to compare all the mods that Weidu said should have impacted imoen2j.dlg versus what I'm seeing in the logs.

Edit:

These 4 logs mention imoen2j.dlg even though Weidu change-log doesn't list them as affecting imoen2j.dlg

SETUP-A7-CHAOSSORCERER.DEBUG
SETUP-D0QUESTPACK.DEBUG
SETUP-EDWINROMANCE.DEBUG
SETUP-Keto.debug

But I don't think that is the issue. When this mod is done running, I have 2929 states in the file.

SETUP-SANDRAHNPC.DEBUG 38046 [IMOEN2J.DLG] saved 2929 states, 5344 trans, 121 strig, 1409 ttrig, 502 actions

But EET-End picks up the file and then it grows to nearly 7000 states.

SETUP-EET_END.DEBUG 1501 Preparing IMOEN2J.dlg source file (2929 states starting from 0)
SETUP-EET_END.DEBUG 1517 [IMOEN2J.DLG] saved 2929 states, 5344 trans, 121 strig, 1409 ttrig, 502 actions
SETUP-EET_END.DEBUG 1523 Appending IMOENJ.dlg to IMOEN2J.dlg (101 appended states starting from 2929)
SETUP-EET_END.DEBUG 1531 [IMOEN2J.DLG] saved 3030 states, 5484 trans, 133 strig, 1414 ttrig, 524 actions
SETUP-EET_END.DEBUG 1720 Appending IMOEN25J.dlg to IMOEN2J.dlg (3140 appended states starting from 3030)
SETUP-EET_END.DEBUG 1748 [IMOEN2J.DLG] saved 6170 states, 12640 trans, 307 strig, 3972 ttrig, 1264 actions
SETUP-EET_END.DEBUG 3755 Appending IMOEN2_.dlg to IMOEN2J.dlg (1534 appended states starting from 6170)
SETUP-EET_END.DEBUG 3767 [IMOEN2J.DLG] saved 7704 states, 20430 trans, 381 strig, 9598 ttrig, 2791 actions
SETUP-EET_END.DEBUG 65517 [IMOEN2J.DLG] saved 7704 states, 20430 trans, 381 strig, 9598 ttrig, 2791 actions

Edited by enderandrew, 12 April 2018 - 07:41 AM.

Nihilism makes me smile.

#5090 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 08:16 AM

Am I supposed to just run "weidu --change-log imoen2j.dlg" or something else? Here is the output from that.

The thing that strikes immediately is this

SETUP-EET_END.DEBUG 1720 Appending IMOEN25J.dlg to IMOEN2J.dlg (3140 appended states starting from 3030)

EET differs from the BG2/ToB convention of using the 25J files in ToB and continues to use the *standard*J, in this case Imoen2J.dlg. It looks like the ToB file for Imoen contains more dialogue than all of the rest of the game taking into account all the 40+ mods that append to Imoen's dialogue.

The problem is to find the source of it...not sure how to do that from afar...

Suggest to go to BG2EE/EET/backup/end/0 and look for Imoen25J.dlg.

- open the file with Near Infinity. As a reference, my own file to compare has 490 new states (while yours maybe 3140?).

- or post the file here as an attachment, even though I cannot promise we will see much without the dialog.tlk that goes with your game.

The Sandrah Saga

#5091 enderandrew

enderandrew
  • 166 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 08:34 AM

I'm uploading both BG2EE/EET/backup/end/0/Imoen25J.dlg and en_US/dialog.tlk here in a zip file.

https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing

Nihilism makes me smile.

#5092 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 09:10 AM

I'm uploading both BG2EE/EET/backup/end/0/Imoen25J.dlg and en_US/dialog.tlk here in a zip file.

https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing

It is as suspected. The extra stuff comes from Imoen25J.dlg when it is appended to her basic joined file.

Unless imoen romance mod adds 2500 new states and dialogues for her in ToB, something went wrong in your install. Since your dialog.tlk makes no sense outside of your own game, that is about all there is to find from the outside.

Everything after the first 500 states in Imoen's ToB file has IRT...prefixes, which means Imoen Romance. To be clear, this is not to blame that mod - but something went wrong when it was installed.

The Sandrah Saga

#5093 enderandrew

enderandrew
  • 166 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 11:46 AM

If I upload full logs, is there any way to try and figure out where it broke to try and isolate the conflict?

Nihilism makes me smile.

#5094 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 12:06 PM

If I upload full logs, is there any way to try and figure out where it broke to try and isolate the conflict?

Which conflict?

The Sandrah Saga

#5095 enderandrew

enderandrew
  • 166 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 12:13 PM

Which conflict?

If the mods work fine individually, there is some conflict of installing them together which caused this behavior.

Nihilism makes me smile.

#5096 weigo

weigo
  • Modder
  • 130 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 09:01 AM

Here you find the new version RoTerror v3.1.

It is now compatible with BG2EE/EET and BG2/ToB/BGT.

Topic

http://www.shsforums...-and-bg2tobbgt/

Archive

https://github.com/w...hive/master.zip

Edited by weigo, 13 April 2018 - 10:01 AM.

Modification:

BP-BGT-Worldmap-v6.6 (Download)

#5097 Arm-chair

Arm-chair
  • 33 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 09:43 AM

Hello! I have a trouble with installation Enhanced Edition Trilogy.

Spoiler

I read about this bug in readme file, but I don't understand what I supposed to do. I visited forum page of this mod, and one said that this bug was fixed with latest version of BWS. But I have already got the latest version.

Please, explain me, what I should do.

#5098 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 10:09 AM

Hello! I have a trouble with installation Enhanced Edition Trilogy.

Spoiler

I read about this bug in readme file, but I don't understand what I supposed to do. I visited forum page of this mod, and one said that this bug was fixed with latest version of BWS. But I have already got the latest version.

Please, explain me, what I should do.

Please post the weidu.log  from your BGEE folder (the BG1+SoD game) here.

The Sandrah Saga

#5099 Arm-chair

Arm-chair
  • 33 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 10:18 AM

Yes, here it is.Attached File  WeiDU.log   6.84K   274 downloads

Edited by Arm-chair, 13 April 2018 - 10:19 AM.

#5100 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 10:33 AM

Yes, here it is.attachicon.gifWeiDU.log

Replace the file with this one

Attached File  WeiDU.log   6.64K   161 downloads

The Sandrah Saga