Photo

BiG World Setup (an attempt to update the program)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5286 replies to this topic

#5041 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 11:42 AM

Folders on system partition are protected. My steam folder is not among them. I'll try the second option and let you know.

Edit: Ok it went through :)

Also before I forget, IsraNPC got an update and BWS has an issue with archive extraction.

I have the same problem when I download it manually. It cannot be extracted. I can only open it with 7-zip file manager. Something introduced by the new version of the mod just uploaded yesterday.

The Sandrah Saga

another piece of *buggy, cheesy, unbalanced junk*

#5042 Lithesis

Lithesis
  • 61 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 11:47 AM

Bah I messed up and component 00 to 06 of SandraNPC didn't get installed -.-'

Well, gonna start over.

#5043 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 01:56 PM

Folders on system partition are protected. My steam folder is not among them. I'll try the second option and let you know.

Edit: Ok it went through :)

Also before I forget, IsraNPC got an update and BWS has an issue with archive extraction.

The issue has been fixed. The modder uploaded the file as zip now to the download link and that should work.

The Sandrah Saga

#5044 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 02:55 AM

3. If players are testing a mod it is usually advantageous if they actually know about it and are ready to give feedback at the appropriate place (i.e. where the modder can see it). I had no problem to find players who are ready to test my mods. All the other players have to wait until that is done before they get the new version as an official download. But then, what use does it make to rush the release if the mod is not fully tested?

We already have a lot of rumors going around - there being modders [plural] not wanting their mods being fixed or included into mega mod installs is one of them. I would like to spare more of these kind.

The way jastey does it for her own mods is probably the best example of how the author should decide on when and if they want their mods included in BWS.

- she puts links with a stable beta version up and invites testers, but without submitting the mod to BWS. This way people using the beta version know exactly what they have to expect.

- when the mod is thoroughly tested this way, she declares it official and to be added to BWS.

Another example is modder Raduziel who wants his mods to be exposed by BWS to a larger audience to be tested and improved. The mods are marked as beta versions and continuously updated per github. This is an alternative approach and also supported by BWS.

In both examples, the decision is fully in the hands of the mod author.

Things have been handled different in the past and the aftertaste of this is still found in some discussions.

Fact is that no mod has been added to BWS and no patch has been introduced into BWFixpack within the last 12 month WITHOUT having the author involved. (This does not include editorial updates of download links or versions, if those have been notified in which ever way).

The Sandrah Saga

#5045 -Trevalin-

-Trevalin-

Posted 04 April 2018 - 04:01 AM

I'm a long-time BG player getting drawn back in for yet another playthrough, and I'm trying to use BWS for the first time to help get me through the complicated mod install process. I've run into several errors, including issues with SCS installing (skipped installs with some regret), crossmod banters between Gavin/Isra and Valerie/Isra (skipped installs since I don't plan on using those npc's this time) and a parsing error with Garrick: Tales of a Troubadour (skipped install since he won't be in my party long this time through).

I am now stuck on this parsing error, and finally decided to ask for help:

ERROR: No translation provided for @438
ERROR: parsing [tb#_compile_eval_buffer/bg1re/necromancer/Dialogues/necromancer.d]: Not_found
ERROR: compiling [bg1re/necromancer/Dialogues/necromancer.d]!
ERROR: Not_found
Necromancer's Trouble, by jastey (WARNING - refer to the readme!) (Baldur's Gate Romantic Encounters) was not installed due to errors.

Should I be getting this many issues with popular mods? Am I better served going back to just trying to manually install mods the way that I used to? Any idea what might be causing this particular error?

Thanks for any assistance. I took today off to play some BG, and I'm hoping to get this sorted. :)

#5046 Hack'N'Slash

Hack'N'Slash
  • 109 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 04:04 AM

I tried to reach out to the Creator of a mod via the links they said best. Looks like they have dropped off the scene. So does that mean the mod can never be accepted by an EET install? I ran that tool k4thos provided and tinkered with mods not allowed by eet to install. 

So if the version I'll be using(haven't reached BG2 yet) works, how do we get around the mod author being awol?

#5047 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5150 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 04:27 AM

I tried to reach out to the Creator of a mod via the links they said best. Looks like they have dropped off the scene. So does that mean the mod can never be accepted by an EET install? I ran that tool k4thos provided and tinkered with mods not allowed by eet to install. 

So if the version I'll be using(haven't reached BG2 yet) works, how do we get around the mod author being awol?

Well, if you want to accept the responsibility of upkeep, and have tried to reach the author, you can upload your archive to the mod resurrections -forum here at SHS.

Edited by The Imp, 04 April 2018 - 04:28 AM.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#5048 enderandrew

enderandrew
  • 166 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 07:27 AM

I noticed the same thing yesterday. I manually extracted it and then a crossmod component with IsraNPC and another failed. I just stopped the install, wiped and intend to try another install without IsraNPC in it.

It looks like -Trevalin- ran into the same issues.
I'm a long-time BG player getting drawn back in for yet another playthrough, and I'm trying to use BWS for the first time to help get me through the complicated mod install process. I've run into several errors, including issues with SCS installing (skipped installs with some regret), crossmod banters between Gavin/Isra and Valerie/Isra (skipped installs since I don't plan on using those npc's this time) and a parsing error with Garrick: Tales of a Troubadour (skipped install since he won't be in my party long this time through).

ERROR: parsing [tb#_compile_eval_buffer/bg1re/necromancer/Dialogues/necromancer.d]: Not_found
Necromancer's Trouble, by jastey (WARNING - refer to the readme!) (Baldur's Gate Romantic Encounters) was not installed due to errors.

Should I be getting this many issues with popular mods? Am I better served going back to just trying to manually install mods the way that I used to? Any idea what might be causing this particular error?

Thanks for any assistance. I took today off to play some BG, and I'm hoping to get this sorted. :)
With SCS were you getting out of memory errors?

The Isra errors seem to because of an update that was just pushed to the Isra NPC mod.
Nihilism makes me smile.

#5049 enderandrew

enderandrew
  • 166 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 07:29 AM

Damned double posts. Sadly it won't let me delete a duplicate post.

Edited by enderandrew, 04 April 2018 - 07:31 AM.

Nihilism makes me smile.

#5050 -Trevalin-

-Trevalin-

Posted 04 April 2018 - 07:48 AM

I'll hold off on Isra for now since she wasn't going to be in my party this time (definitely want to try her out in the future).

I'm sorry, but I don't have the original error log from when I gave up on SCS. I didn't think it was an out-of-memory error message, but I can't confirm. I ran into another issue now where even after skipping the problem I had with Romantic Encounters outlined above...the game wouldn't launch at all after my installation through BWS. It just sat there with a process running, but nothing happened. I think that's because I was an idiot and didn't clear out old saves, so I'm about to try another clean install with saves deleted. I'll give SCS another try this time and note the errors should they occur again.

Ugh, at this rate I'll never get to play today.

#5051 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 08:55 AM

Which mod is it?

Further actions would depend on that.

The Sandrah Saga

#5052 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 08:57 AM

I noticed the same thing yesterday. I manually extracted it and then a crossmod component with IsraNPC and another failed. I just stopped the install, wiped and intend to try another install without IsraNPC in it.

It looks like -Trevalin- ran into the same issues.

With SCS were you getting out of memory errors?

The Isra errors seem to because of an update that was just pushed to the Isra NPC mod.

It is best to report Isra errors directly to her thread in this forum. http://www.shsforums...be-corrupt-eet/

The mod author has returned from hiatus and is now active again.

The Sandrah Saga

#5053 -Trevalin-

-Trevalin-

Posted 04 April 2018 - 10:19 AM

Okay, so after being really thorough about making sure I cleared out previous saves and game data...I appear to have a successful installation (I skipped Isra and Garrick: TotT). There is still some good news/bad news...

The good: SCS installed without any issues this time. The game starts as expected now. I'm about to embark on my journey!

The bad: For some reason the installer could not find Coran's Extended Friendship and Thalantyr's Items mods...even though they appeared to be downloaded just fine. My attempts to manually extract them didn't work, but that may have been my own incompetence. I skipped those two mods. I had the same issue with the mod that restores the original BG movies, but my manual extraction seemed to work. Maybe I grew an additional brain cell during the troubleshooting process and did this one right.

In any event, I just wanted to post that there were no issues with SCS. Hopefully my gameplay doesn't reveal any bugs!

#5054 -Trevalin-

-Trevalin-

Posted 04 April 2018 - 10:39 AM

I meant to add that the Romantic Encounters issue also did not appear during the most recent install. Again, my apologies for the false alarm.

#5055 Jakar

Jakar
  • 47 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 01:12 PM

Ok, i need some help. My goal was to install as much big mods as possible to play and without Items and Spells revisions. By 3rd reinstall i got the possitive result (no install errors), BUT when creating character i've got bad spells for Shaman or Sorcerer (maybe others too, i didn't check).

Could someone take a look at weidu.log and do his/her magic to tell me, what mod did this?

Or it was a bad idea to not install revisions? I don't think i like changes it makes to vanilla game.

weidu.log

#5056 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 01:33 PM

Ok, i need some help. My goal was to install as much big mods as possible to play and without Items and Spells revisions. By 3rd reinstall i got the possitive result (no install errors), BUT when creating character i've got bad spells for Shaman or Sorcerer (maybe others too, i didn't check).

Could someone take a look at weidu.log and do his/her magic to tell me, what mod did this?

Or it was a bad idea to not install revisions? I don't think i like changes it makes to vanilla game.

weidu.log

Apart from those weird spell names which come from wrong entries in dialog.tlk (wherever those come from), I noticed that you used general biffing at the end of the installation which is not required and not recommended for EET and leads to all types of anomalies. I cannot say if that is the reason for your issue but it will produce other effects you do not desire.

The Sandrah Saga

#5057 enderandrew

enderandrew
  • 166 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 07:46 AM

I just did a maximized-style install with most every mod, and the spell names are not hosed for me.
Nihilism makes me smile.

#5058 Jakar

Jakar
  • 47 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 08:47 AM

Oh, thanks for the help. I'll try to install without biffing and see if it helps with spells. The reason i install BWS with biffing is that i do that on virtualbox/another computer and then transfer it to my linux system. It's painfull to watch copying of tens of thousands files from override for many hours. With biffing it takes about 10-15 mins to copy.

p.s. for the history, my previous megamod install (it was without big mods installed) worked perfectly with biffing.

Edited by Jakar, 05 April 2018 - 09:01 AM.

#5059 Blackblade

Blackblade
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 09:11 AM

Hello,

I have found this very detailed tutorial for the BWS helpful.

I have done some installs and most recently one for EET. I follow this step by step and always had good installs. If there were bugs later, they were new bugs found for mods.

https://forums.beamd...-for-windows/p1

I hope it helps some of you.

Edited by Blackblade, 05 April 2018 - 09:12 AM.

#5060 subtledoctor

subtledoctor
  • Modder
  • 656 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 10:44 AM

The reason i install BWS with biffing is that i do that on virtualbox/another computer and then transfer it to my linux system. It's painfull to watch copying of tens of thousands files from override for many hours. With biffing it takes about 10-15 mins to copy.

Hours to copy a couple thousand files? I suggest:
- Make your game folder a shared folder in VirtualBox, so you don't need to copy/transfer anything from inside the slow virtualized OS
- Invest in solid state drive(s)

Unfortunately the latter is not cheap. :(