Photo

BiG World Setup (an attempt to update the program)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5286 replies to this topic

#721 spanyam

spanyam
  • 67 posts

Donator

Posted 10 September 2014 - 09:25 AM

Thanks for clearing that up, Alien. I understand it must come with a lot of complications. As an alternative, is it possible to pause the BWS installation at the point where I want to install SCSv21 (and later SCSII v21), run the installers manually, selecting whatever options I think will be reasonable/compatible, and then continue the BWS where it left off?

#722 spanyam

spanyam
  • 67 posts

Donator

Posted 10 September 2014 - 12:24 PM

It can be done:

1. Look at this file: https://bitbucket.or...t.txt?at=master

2. Search for first appearance of STD;stratagems

3. Look above this line and find first mod that you will definitely install

4. Prepare BWS installation, start it* and pause immediate after you last mod before "stratagems" started to install.

5. Install all SCS components that you want.

6. Unpause installation.

*Remember to select SCS components in BWS at last once to manage and fix all configs and when you done, un-select all SCS components (at this point you should not have any serious conflicts to solve via BWS) and then start you installation.

That's fantastic! Thanks, Alien. I will try it out later this week or early next.

#723 Vlan

Vlan
  • 194 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 12:31 AM

Does anyone know why the error

"Assertion failed chdimm.cpp line 834" in combination with "Media Removal Error: Please enter Baldurs Gate CD 1" appears (I have the GOG version!) when I for example right click on the Finch NPC in Candlekeep, want to talk with Aiwell for the 2nd time (red mage screaming at door) in High Hedge or want to select default voice sound set for my PC?

Corrupted sounds?

Alias of my baldur.ini looks like this:

[Alias]
HD0:=C:\BWP\BGII - SoA\
CD1:=C:\BWP\BGII - SoA\data\
CD2:=C:\BWP\BGII - SoA\data\
CD3:=C:\BWP\BGII - SoA\data\
CD4:=C:\BWP\BGII - SoA\data\
CD5:=C:\BWP\BGII - SoA\data\
CD6:=C:\BWP\BGII - SoA\data\

a reinstall fixed the problem (complete without bws).

I suspect (although dabus said it would be fine) that the failed backup restore somehow messed up my game

Edited by Vlan, 11 September 2014 - 10:44 AM.

#724 spanyam

spanyam
  • 67 posts

Donator

Posted 12 September 2014 - 01:58 PM

Also, is it possible to run the BiG World Setup on OS X in any way? Such an option (even if it requires some tweaking) would make things a lot easier for me, since my main computer is a Macbook Pro. If it's possible, what is involved in getting it to work? Thanks!

Edited by spanyam, 12 September 2014 - 01:58 PM.

#725 dabus

dabus
  • 1982 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 06:30 PM

You could try somthing like the "api-translator" wine, emulators or VMs or bootcamp, Otherwise you're pretty on your own.

The interpreter is available windows only. So you'd have to rewrite a few thousand lines of code. I guess there are ways to shorten the code in other languages and some passages may be written in bad manners, bad it's still some piece of work.

I've read some announcements or thoughts about writing a replacement in java (in the past 5 years) but that's all. There was a script to translate Leonardos batches to shell a few years ago when it was not as complicated as it is now, but I guess that will not help you much, either.

Oh, the output of the BWS as it is "now" will still be for a Windows game. I'd search for an OSX guide by Eric P. here, if you need to run the game in a native manner.

Edited by dabus, 12 September 2014 - 06:38 PM.

THINK! - It's not illegal.

#726 spanyam

spanyam
  • 67 posts

Donator

Posted 12 September 2014 - 07:11 PM

Thanks for clearing that up, dabus. I think trying to get it working on a mac will not justify the amount of time it will take (at least for me). The OSX idea was just for convenience/portability. I have a fully working windows desktop that I will use for the BWS installation.

#727 -Ar0n-

-Ar0n-

Posted 13 September 2014 - 04:00 AM

I want to install Big World Project (BWP - combination of bunch of modes - I used automatic tool for installation).
As far as I know (I have been told) BWP and Enhanced Edition (EE - I have BG1EE and BG2EE installed) are compatible.

I have prepared everything and launched the installation, but the problem occurs - it wants me to install patch 5512 for BG1, which is not possible, because it is the patch for the older edition of the game (not EE). For BG2 it says 25Movies.bif is missing.

What can I do to make BWP install properly? I haven't found anything about it in the instruction. If there is nothing to be done is there any other way to play BG1EE and BG2EE combined and together with all these mods?

Thanks for any help provided.

#728 dabus

dabus
  • 1982 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 04:06 AM

You can't install BWP with the EEs -- BGT and a lot of mods are not compatible with those games.
You can only use the BWS to install the mods available for those single games. You cannot combine them.

#729 -Ar0n-

-Ar0n-

Posted 13 September 2014 - 04:16 AM

In the end - would it make any difference (after all after finishing BG1 I can import the character into BG2)?

Actually I tried the auto-installation for both games separately and still the abovementioned errors occured. How can it be solved?

Is there any other mega-modification mod which can be used for EE?

#730 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5148 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 04:28 AM

In the end - would it make any difference (after all after finishing BG1 I can import the character into BG2)?

Actually I tried the auto-installation for both games separately and still the abovementioned errors occured. How can it be solved?

Is there any other mega-modification mod which can be used for EE?

Well, installing a dozen or two in two games instead of 500 mods in one, yeah, there's a difference.

There's no solution, as the check is there to make sure that you don't do it. THAT would break your game and waste your time.

Nope, there is not. None of the formally large mods(that made up the Megamod classification name) are compatible with the BGxEE's, yet.

Eventually when the community keeps adding BG2EE compatible mods that make the megamod, we can keep updating the BG2EE selection and make the two into one.

Edited by The Imp, 13 September 2014 - 04:33 AM.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#731 -Ar0n-

-Ar0n-

Posted 13 September 2014 - 04:44 AM

I got it. Thank you.

So basically if I really want to play with modes (especially big ones) I need to install the old version of BG and not EE.

Please, tell me - am I really missing something by giving up EE content (I mean quests, NPC and so on, I don't really care for zooming and slightly improved graphics)? I had an opprotunity to play with some mods (like DD or CtB) before, but never played EE.

#732 The Imp

The Imp

• 5148 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 05:48 AM

I got it. Thank you.

So basically if I really want to play with modes (especially big ones) I need to install the old version of BG and not EE.

Please, tell me - am I really missing something by giving up EE content (I mean quests, NPC and so on, I don't really care for zooming and slightly improved graphics)? I had an opprotunity to play with some mods (like DD or CtB) before, but never played EE.

Well, the BG1EE has you the few NPCs in it, they are basically the typical mod NPCs, with a quest or two and a lot of dialog with all the original NPCs, the quest for them includes a new map to the original content, and as they are kitted NPCs unlike the original BG1 NPCs, they are a bit better, and the Evil party is especially better this way as all the bases are covered unlike in the original.
But the 500 mods has nearly everything in BG1 portion covered... well except a consistent storyline. The zoom is nice, but like said, I can also live without it.

The BGT has one thing going for it(besides the 7* times mods), it has the no need to export the character, and no need to worry if the custom kits applied to the game work correctly in the combination. If you install kit mods to your BG1EE and some work, some don't because the installer needs a special code to allow the kit to be selectable.... and then the export import chars kit is just one number in the characters file... not installing all the custom kit in both game in the exact order will give you a lot of grief as the number between the two games might not match... and you might end up with a ranger that has bards skills but has no way to utilize them. :devil:

This is of course without the know how to know that you need to install the kit mods in both game in the same order. This was in Tutu too, or any uncontinued games with custom kits.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#733 -seden-

-seden-

Posted 14 September 2014 - 11:16 AM

Drizzt Saga (BGT version) is to early in the BWS install order, as the map (BGT one) is a requirement, and that one is et much later.

#734 The Imp

The Imp

• 5148 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 11:45 AM

Drizzt Saga (BGT version) is too early in the BWS install order, as the map (BGT one) is a requirement, and that one is et much later.

???

That doesn't matter, the (BP-BGT) Worldmap mod needs to be installed after all the other map mods, well except the G3 anniversary mod(that's an exception you won't see), the reason being that if you install it the wrong way around, the worldmap file get's overwritten by all the mods. The Worldmap mod does the same, but then patches the file up according to the needed things, unlike all the other mods that just add an area to the one map it thinks it needs, and flips the finger to all the rest of the mods.

So this order is the correct one. And it only needed the Worldmap mods files to be in the game folder as a requirement, not actually installed.

#735 eden.sb

eden.sb
  • 23 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 12:28 AM

Hm, I should have copied the exact error then, still it was related to the map for BGT.

To be seen later today,

Otherwise, a feature request = mod individual progress bar (mainly intersting as to Sword Coast Stratagem who apparently took over 4h to install ?).

Note :
Level 1 NPC : the name of the npc (when on the "change a npc" option), is not displayed (which make the customization quite an headache).

#736 Tzarnal

Tzarnal
  • 61 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 12:49 AM

Stratagems basically touches Everything. It copies and modifies every spell every npc assigning them additional stuff and changing their scripts. This is why it takes a massive amount of time to install.

While I can't speak for the developers of BWS I'm going to guess that its not possible to do so simply because individual weidu setups do not report and probably do not even know how much time something will take.

The BWS progress bar is simply tied ( i think ) to the amount of mods already  installed compared to the amount of mods to install in total.

#737 The Imp

The Imp

• 5148 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 12:51 AM

1)a feature request = mod individual progress bar (mainly intersting as to Sword Coast Stratagem who apparently took over 4h to install ?).

2)Note :
Level 1 NPC : the name of the npc (when on the "change a npc" option), is not displayed (which make the customization quite an headache).
1. Unfortunately the weidu mods would need a progress calculator that's likely not easy to code, or it would give horribly inaccurate results. Yeah, the install time has been a problem long for the SCS mods. It is worthwhile to try to minimize the CPU usage from other programs while that and a few other mods like it is been installed. 
2. The NPC components themselves are a hell of a headache to even install in the manual input, so trying to automatize that would be horrible undertaking. Specially when you can install 200 kits. It's better to do this manually and then install the Generalized Biffing after. That's all that's really needed to be done manually.
... I'm going to guess that its not possible to do so simply because individual weidu setups do not report and probably do not even know how much time something will take.
Actually that's not entirely true. The debug system reports the times it takes to do the actions(look at the end of every one of the .debug file, the figures are there), but it's relative only on that computer setup/load. And yes, the function is there as a tool to debug the weidu.exe and the mod development, as you can do several things in a few different ways, and looking at that data can give you info on that.

Yes, the mods debug could report their own progression, but it's hell of a tricky and almost invisible ... so it's better to just not even think of this.
Had you coded a weidu mod that copies nearly all the games files and changes a few of them with BUT_ONLY command and you realize that the mods install time is bound to other mods more than the original game data. Especially in the Megamoding.

Edited by The Imp, 15 September 2014 - 01:13 AM.

#738 dabus

dabus
  • 1982 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 11:14 AM

Calculating a timetable is not really doable, so the progressbar is just moved "somehow" (currently it just counts the current line in the install order).
Example:
Mod changes AI of creatures. You add another 1/5th of creatures to the game by using mods -> time changes.
Mod changes weapons type X to be usable by Y. Add a lot of item mods -> time changes.

So you can't really clock the time before you install. You're not really accurate. You're cpu, hdd, memory and background information also kicks in.
Some mods jut copy content into the override folder, some biff stuff, some calculate something. So lets say that it's difficult.
And there's nothing like a "test install 1 percent of the content" to calculate the time while you install.

If you wanted to have something, you'd have to get the length of each components installation time (you can select to only install 2 of 200 components) and compare them/ create an artificial number for each component that can be compared somehow.
So that you can say mod X will take about 1/3 of the install time. At least the overall time could be more dependable than it has now.
You could try to compare that time to components of the fixpack since that's installed always and just at the beginning. Don't know how long those installs last though and if they would present a good "common" task to compare mods to.

#739 eden.sb

eden.sb
  • 23 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 02:43 PM

Ok, thanks dabus for the contextual explanation, appreciated.

#740 Sergio

Sergio
  • 954 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 02:58 AM

I was playing Torment and I had the notorius "movement bug". I ask you to add the nvidia fix to the BWS, if you can, for planescape torment.

Thanks

Low hung brow, dazed look on your face..... It appears that you are correct, my friend. You are indeed a complete imbecile.