Photo

BiG World Setup (an attempt to update the program)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5286 replies to this topic

#1121 dabus

dabus
  • 1982 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 10:41 AM

Huh? With old I mean really old when ini-files had OS-limits and used 16-bit. Maybe those limits are still in there somewhere in the newer systems.
Anyway, 32 KB was the limit in this case, it does not matter if you use Windows 2000 or a 10 preview since the limit is in the program itself.
THINK! - It's not illegal.

#1122 dragonian

dragonian
  • Validating
  • 503 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 10:49 AM

Ah thank you for explanation.

#1123 dragonian

dragonian
  • Validating
  • 503 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 10:19 AM

Hm i downloaded latest version but cannot find improved archer kit or sandrah that i saw commited? Is there possibility to see those mods?

#1124 dabus

dabus
  • 1982 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 11:37 AM

As long as the components are not listed in Select.txt, nothing will happen.
The BWS will even skip puttin the info into WeiDU-XX.ini or Mod.ini, so you won't find them in the BWP-folder. Use the FAQ to find out how to add them.
Or just install them manually after hitting the pause button. That's usually easier than adding the mod (it's not hard, but it will take a few minutes which is more then pressing a pause-button..
THINK! - It's not illegal.

#1125 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 10 April 2015 - 11:29 PM

Six's kitpack is installed after refinements. Bug or intended? It seems like most of the other kits gets installed before it since refinements copies all kits installed before it.

#1126 dragonian

dragonian
  • Validating
  • 503 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 01:37 AM

@Alien from what i know Sandrah is for heavily modded normal BG game not for EE and as i read in "mod request template" forum Improved Archer should work with BG2:ToB am i right? 
Thanks for all the answers and your hard work guys :)
@Dabus i will probably just do what you said but I want to be sure first that Improved Archer is not EE only :) - BTW i don`t know if you(or anyone else) tried fixing the problem with dependencies i reported earlier but just to be sure in newest version they are still not working.

#1127 -agnes-

-agnes-

Posted 11 April 2015 - 06:58 AM

I just have to ask. I read in the QuestPack readme that it's AI component (which I use) has an alternate version named "Extended Vocabulary" which makes enemies say more things overhead I guess. Why is this component not available in the current BWS?

#1128 -Ven0m_andy-

-Ven0m_andy-

Posted 12 April 2015 - 05:21 AM

Wanted to install it with the Fixed and Well-tried options but the setup does not start when I exit the Big world setup

#1129 Ser Elryk

Ser Elryk
  • 157 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 09:57 PM

Would anybody mind explaining to me what the situation is with the Never Ending Journey and Tortured Souls mods? To my understanding, the mod author (Vlad) has some issues with the Enhanced Editions and refuses to port them. But are the current versions of these mods still being updated for inclusion with the BWP?

Also, what is the best method of doing a BWP install at present? i.e. the EET branch, or master branch, on bitbucket? Or the last official release of BWS (March 2nd, 2015)?

#1130 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5150 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 10:11 PM

Also, what is the best method of doing a BWP install at present?
You download the v15 .pdf file and read and do everything it says. So you won't be using the BWS at all, essentially. But manually, downloading and extracting the mods to a folder and then moving them over to the install folder and then run the BiG World Install.bat or what ever the .pdf says.
Yes, the .pdf has mentions of moving files and so forth during the installation, but you are using the .bat file so you don't need to do that of course.

That's what you asked, so I gave it to you. If you still wish to use the BWS, then you can take either of the two options you mentioned, but neither of them give you the option to install the official BWP v15 . YET. And it's likely to never be exactly that, but a tweaked version of that and the current BWS.

Edited by The Imp, 12 April 2015 - 10:19 PM.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#1131 Hazey

Hazey
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 02:16 AM

I've been trying the past couple of days to get a BWS install to work. Took me a while to realise the link on the front page is an old version and to use the newest one. Got the point where it has downloaded and extracted the mods I want and I close the BWS program to let it open BiG World Install.bat. The .bat runs for a couple of screens but then asks me to reboot and run it again in administrator mode. When I try that I just get a message saying something like "Cannot open bwp settings.txt cannot find file specified" and I have to close it. Using the GoG versions of BG and BG2 for what that's worth. Any help would be appreciated.

Edit: I got it to progress a little by not rebooting and just running the .bat. However, I don't seem to be able to just install the mods I selected in BiG World Setup.vbs. It gives me a few options of how I want to install mods. I tried the first one, preselections I think, and it came up with a few different options for selections people have put together (I guess). Just wondered if this is working as intended?

Edited by Hazey, 14 April 2015 - 06:42 AM.

#1132 Hazey

Hazey
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 11:07 AM

(you know already which directory you should avoid?) 

Program Files and Users, that kind of thing?

Thanks for your help, I will take a look at those and see how it goes.

#1133 The Imp

The Imp

• 5150 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 11:43 AM

(you know already which directory you should avoid?) 

... and Users, that kind of thing?

Erhm. Nope.
Ironically on Windows 8(.1) you have to install the games you intent to modify into the C:\Users\<username>\ -subfolders as you have no access to the actual files in the other folder, effectively, as the changes you do are moved to the hidden part of the C:\Users\<username>\ -subfolders anyways( C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\ -rest of the game patch), as you can only write things in there.

Edited by The Imp, 14 April 2015 - 11:44 AM.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#1134 Quiet

Quiet
  • 189 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 01:53 PM

Six's kitpack is installed after refinements. Bug or intended? It seems like most of the other kits gets installed before it since refinements copies all kits installed before it.

This is BWP installation order, according to which after the Six's Kitpack main component Refirements main component cannot be installed any more.

from what i know Sandrah is for heavily modded normal BG game not for EE and as i read in "mod request template" forum Improved Archer should work with BG2:ToB am i right?

Yes (and Improved Archer added to BGT selection).

i don`t know if you(or anyone else) tried fixing the problem with dependencies i reported earlier but just to be sure in newest version they are still not working
Temporary solution: disabled some (less important) dependencies, to others (more important) to work correctly.

I just have to ask. I read in the QuestPack readme that it's AI component (which I use) has an alternate version named "Extended Vocabulary" which makes enemies say more things overhead I guess. Why is this component not available in the current BWS?

Because there is no such component, despite that said readme.

#1135 -Festen-

-Festen-

Posted 15 April 2015 - 11:58 AM

I want to ask a problem about a question I have with the game.

I Play Baldur's Gate II with Throne of Bhaaland have installed the recommended Setup from BWS

I Played the game before with Big World Project installed with the Big World Prject Setup.

after changing my Hard drive I downloaded the lastest version and installed it. The problem is that when a launch a game:the game start correctly, I play the part when youneedto do some shores for Gorion at Candlekeep as a child then after the childhood memories,  the game become very slow at the beginning when Irenicus start talking andit become worst during the attck of the shadow thieves. After that the game "stops" I mean it doesn't freeze, but nothing happend, no Imoen, Nothing, just along long wait of something that never comes.

Does someone have a solution for this problem ? 

#1136 The Imp

The Imp

• 5150 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 01:56 PM

Does someone have a solution for this problem ? 

Well, do you have any of the NEJ mods installed ? It sounds like the SoA beginning cinematic get's interrupted, after you have done the Check the Bodies mods chore "quests". 

#1137 Creepin

Creepin
  • Administrator
  • 1676 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 06:34 AM

Just got BWS to not launch anymore accidentally.

Here's what I did: I worked all the way to selected mods download, and during download I figured I need to check something in mod selection, so I clicked "pause", then waited for already started downloads to finish. After a couple of minutes I realised D0 Quest pack is probably stuck, so I hit "exit" button, and BWS closed for good. Afterwards each time I'm launching BWS, I get the following:

xa3V76.jpg

Luckily, it's fixed with a fresh archive of BWS, but still something is wrong here.

Edited by Creepin, 16 April 2015 - 12:01 PM.

The Old Gold - v0.2 WIP (mod for BGT/BWP/BWS)

#1138 Creepin

Creepin
  • Administrator
  • 1676 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 10:28 AM

First of all, the praise: I've got my latest Big World in less than 2 evenings, as smooth as possible, and all the way while BWS did the job for me I kept remembering how I would have spend a whole week to do the same 7-8 years ago with much worse result, so I can't thank enough all of you guys involved for not letting BWS down and making this possible!

Now, the question: what governs where the saves will go, I mean, actual files? I've noticed, after scouring my whole HD, that my new BW install somewhy dumps the saves at my old install of 2014, located in a long forgotten and unused folder, and reads them from there as well, and I kind of prefer it not to :)

Edited by Creepin, 17 April 2015 - 10:34 AM.

#1139 The Imp

The Imp

• 5150 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 11:19 AM

Now, the question: what governs where the saves will go, I mean, actual files?

What saves ?

See, if it's just the BG2's own saves, it's up to the Windows version to decide where to dump them so to speak, as it can save everything to the game folder or to your profile files. So it follows that your game should be installed to your profile files on Windows 8.1 .. unless you like the fact that it likes to hide everyone of your changes to a hidden folder in the profile files, and that you can't actually patch the games with official patches.

If it's the mod archives, they are "saved" to the BiG World Downloads folder you chose at the beginning of the setup.

The mods "save everything" to the install folder.

The BWS saves it's own files(mod selections in a form of .ini files etc) to the <BW Setup archive extraction folder>\BiG World Setup\Config\<game>\*.ini -files, and that of course depends on what game you currently intent to setup, and where you extracted the BWS to.

Edited by The Imp, 17 April 2015 - 11:22 AM.

#1140 Creepin

Creepin
  • Administrator
  • 1676 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 12:00 PM

What saves ?
See, if it's just the BG2's own saves, it's up to the Windows version to decide where to dump them so to speak, as it can save everything to the game folder or to your profile files. So it follows that your game should be installed to your profile files on Windows 8.1 .. unless you like the fact that it likes to hide everyone of your changes to a hidden folder in the profile files, and that you can't actually patch the games with official patches.
If it's the mod archives, they are "saved" to the BiG World Downloads folder you chose at the beginning of the setup.
The mods "save everything" to the install folder.
The BWS saves it's own files(mod selections in a form of .ini files etc) to the <BW Setup archive extraction folder>\BiG World Setup\Config\<game>\*.ini -files, and that of course depends on what game you currently intent to setup, and where you extracted the BWS to.
Hey Jarno, thanks for the quick reply! I'm sorry about not mentioning my OS and issue details :(
I'm using Win7, the last Win that didn't dare to tell me where I want to keep my files :)
As for the issue details, it was the standard routine to play singleplayer with a party of 6: I've ran a game, fired a multiplayer, created my party of six, QSaved, quit the game to transfer this save from mpsave to save, the usual... only that there was no files or folders in mpsave. I still could have loaded this save from within the game, so it was kept somewhere... eventually I did found it in totally another, old instance of BWS installation (say, my current installation is D:/Games/BWS 2015, and the saves wind up at D:/Games/BWS 2014). This got me thinking, may be the instruction to save path is stored somewhere externally? I would have blamed registry, only that I use preinstalled versions of both BG1 & BG2, so the only thing that might have fiddled with registry is BWS itself, there's nothing else to suspect, unless I'm missing something. And even if it's so, it's weird that year ago BWS did put correct path for saves in the registry, and now it didn't.