Photo

BiG World Setup (an attempt to update the program)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5286 replies to this topic

#1141 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5148 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 12:06 PM

Look at the baldur.ini file in the game folder. It's likely to have the old game folder saved still in it, meaning that it could save files to the old folder structure... but. Don't really know. I haven't been crazy enough to try.. yet. :devil:

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#1142 Creepin

Creepin
  • Administrator
  • 1676 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 12:20 PM

Look at the baldur.ini file in the game folder. It's likely to have the old game folder saved still in it, meaning that it could save files to the old folder structure... but. Don't really know. I haven't been crazy enough to try.. yet. :devil:

That was my first idea as well :) There is no dedicated line for saves path in baldur.ini, and usual [ALIAS] section is perfectly correct (which is handled by BWS I believe). Well, I somehow fixed this issue by renaming old folder, which apparently made new install to use it's own location for storing saves. The effect sustained even after I renamed old folder back. Guess I'll never know what the heck was that, but at least I'm happy everything somewhy works now :D

The Old Gold - v0.2 WIP (mod for BGT/BWP/BWS)

#1143 jastey

jastey
  • Administrator
  • 3218 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 03:16 AM

Stupid question: If I click on "Download: https://bitbucket.or.../get/master.zip" in the first post of this thread, do I (always) get the most recent version of BWS then?

#1144 The Imp

The Imp

• 5148 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 04:19 AM

Stupid question: If I click on "Download: link" in the first post of this thread, do I (always) get the most recent version of BWS then?
The best kind. Not that that's actually a stupid one.
Well, it's the "latest beta" yes. Which is more up to date than the official releases, that were a bit more stable when they were made(but of course now use older files, that could now be out dated).

Edited by The Imp, 19 April 2015 - 04:20 AM.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#1145 Creepin

Creepin
  • Administrator
  • 1676 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 04:46 AM

Stupid question: If I click on "Download: https://bitbucket.or.../get/master.zip" in the first post of this thread, do I (always) get the most recent version of BWS then?
Actually, the link in your post leads to the latest master build, which is last updated almost month ago. You might want to use latest EET build, which was last updated 3 days ago and, as dabus explained earlier this thread, good enough for vanilla as well.

Check here for futher reference, just make sure to pick "Branches" tab there.

The Old Gold - v0.2 WIP (mod for BGT/BWP/BWS)

#1146 jastey

jastey
  • Administrator
  • 3218 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 06:30 AM

Thank you for the link, but I have no clue how and where to click to actually download the package. (I did follow the "Branches / EET" path, but I am not familiar with bitbucket.)

#1147 The Imp

The Imp

• 5148 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 07:12 AM

(I did follow the "Branches / EET" path, but I am not familiar with bitbucket.)

It's the first .zip ... aka follow this:

35isun5.jpg

#1148 jastey

jastey
  • Administrator
  • 3218 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 09:56 AM

Thank you!

#1149 -Festen-

-Festen-

Posted 21 April 2015 - 10:34 AM

Hi All

I have installed the game from the BWS I choose standard installation. Has I have stated before, I launched the game perfectly some month ago, but got stuck after the Candlekeep Shores. I installed the game again.

Now the game launch correctly but after creating a character, I got stuck in the first loading page. Sometimes the screen keep black, get stuck during the load or I got this error message :

"An Assertion failed in CItem.ccp atline number 1573" 

I tried Throne of Bhaal I I did see any launch problem.

#1150 -Peter-

-Peter-

Posted 21 April 2015 - 09:43 PM

Hi AlienQuake,

I downloaded the latest BWS snapshot (a7d84b0) from around the 20th of April and when i ran Big World Setup.vbs as Admin i received a VB Scripting "No such directory" error that claimed the cause was in   LIne 8 of the  Big World Setup.vbs file, specifically ->

objStartFolder = objShell.CurrentDirectory & "\" & "BiG World Setup\Config"

I changed this line to the hard coded version of my Config directory ("D:\BWS\Big World Setup\config"),saved it ,ran it again  and it worked.

Is the above line working as designed and i have missed a step or is it a bug and its struggling with the objShell.CurrentDirectory function  ?

Cheers

ColoenlFlag

#1151 -Peter-

-Peter-

Posted 21 April 2015 - 11:51 PM

It's a bug but i have no idea what can acuse is. What is you OS?

Ahhh...ok.

I'm on Win7.

#1152 -Peter-

-Peter-

Posted 21 April 2015 - 11:52 PM

It's a bug but i have no idea what can acuse is. What is you OS?

Ahhh...ok.

I'm on Win7.

#1153 wizardcorp

wizardcorp
  • 25 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 10:42 AM

I just wanted to thank everyone involved for creating and maintaining such an excellent tool. You've made modding the game so much more straightforward and user-friendly that you've revitalised a game I've been playing for nearly two decades, and it would be remiss of me not to show my appreciation.

#1154 Vlan

Vlan
  • 194 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 09:00 AM

And it's free! *wink wink*

#1155 Tzarnal

Tzarnal
  • 61 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 02:50 AM

So I'm currently using the Windows 10 Preview. Figured I'd test things to see how it works out. This was done with the EET branch as of the date of thist post. I'm perfectly aware that is not released etc. I was only trying trilogy instalations for the original Baldurs Gate Games. I have not touched the EE games with this yet.

First problem I ran into was that the BiG World Setup.vbs seems to be broken now. Didn't look into why since starting the script by hand through AutoIt3 seems to work.

I was running with all of UAT turned of as suggested and running AutoIt3.exe As Administrator. Running as a regular user with UAT turned off will run into problems with Patch.exe from the Fixpack. Possibly more things but setup won't progress beyond that anyway.

I started an Original BGT Tactics installation modifying nothing in the presets. I ran into a problem where find.exe was hanging on what looked like korean filenames. I am fairly sure I have seen this happen before on Windows 7 though. Killing find.exe lets the installation progress. I ran into some other problems with dependencies and elements not installing due to missing or already present other items, all pretty normal stuff and completly expected on with a Tactics preset especially on the technically unreleased EET branch. Only thing that stood out here was that all of Smiling Imps crossmod banter seemed to be broken. Thats not a platform bug that I can tell though.

In this installation I did not include a widescreen.exe modification. It ran just fine once installed with the limitations that it was running like you expect BGT to run under default INI settings without the widescreen mod on a modern machine. Awkward screen resizing, bad performance, weird behaviour on the fog of war. Etc.

After that I removed this installation and wanted to try a minimal installation with widescreen installed to see how that would go. I removed the first installation since I had no intent of actually playing a straight up unchanged tactics preset with a bunch of errors during installation. And it had gone through biffing so installation widescreen after that seemed like a bad idea.

The minimal instllation ran just fine as expected with zero errors or conflicts. After copying the same config file i've been using between installations for a while now the game started without a problem, ran smoothly in 1920x1080 at its normal framerates.

TL;DR

Big World Setup works just fine on windows 10 Technical Preview as long as you start it As Administrator and have UAC turned down as normal. Something is wrong with the Big World Setup.vbs but thats hardly a big deal. BGT runs just fine on Windows 10 Technical Preview once installed same as for windows 7 and I suspect 8.

#1156 Argent77

Argent77
  • Administrator
  • 1397 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 08:19 AM

BWS seems to have problems testing or downloading files from Github.com, which is the case, for example, with the recently added mod "Afaaq, the Djinni Companion".

I've manually tested it with wget's default syntax myself:

wget https://github.com/A...mpanion-v1.0.7z

and got the following error:

ERROR: cannot verify github.com's certificate, issued by `/C=US/O=DigiCert Inc/OU=www.digicert.com/CN=DigiCert SHA2 Extended Validation Server CA':
Unable to locally verify the issuer's authority.

Adding the wget option "--no-check-certificate" should work around this issue.

#1157 dabus

dabus
  • 1982 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 09:41 AM

New BWS vbs f**ks up since you elevate the script, so it's running in the wscript path, which is c:\windows\system32. Add BiG World Setup\Config to that path you find nothing... Got this by displaying Wscript.Echo objStartFolder.

And nope, BWS already uses --no-check-certificate... Scales of Balance works...

Djinn Master works but Djinn 1.0 gets this:

"D:\Temp\Test_BWS\BigWorldSetup-bigworldsetup-5a3a2b5a4cc2\BiG World Setup\Tools\wget.exe" --no-passive-ftp --connect-timeout=20 --tries=1 --no-check-certificate --server-response --spider "https://github.com/A...mpanion-v1.0.7z"

Spider mode enabled. Check if remote file exists.
--2015-04-27 19:44:40-- https://github.com/A...mpanion-v1.0.7z
Resolving github.com (github.com)... 192.30.252.131
Connecting to github.com (github.com)|192.30.252.131|:443... connected.
WARNING: cannot verify github.com's certificate, issued by `/C=US/O=DigiCert Inc/OU=www.digicert.com/CN=DigiCert SHA2 Extended Validation Server CA':
HTTP request sent, awaiting response...
HTTP/1.1 302 Found
Server: GitHub.com
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2015 17:44:41 GMT
Content-Type: text/html; charset=utf-8
Content-Security-Policy: default-src *; script-src assets-cdn.github.com collector-cdn.github.com; object-src assets-cdn.github.com; style-src 'self' 'unsafe-inline' 'unsafe-eval' assets-cdn.github.com; img-src 'self' data: assets-cdn.github.com identicons.github.com www.google-analytics.com collector.githubapp.com *.githubusercontent.com *.gravatar.com *.wp.com; media-src 'none'; frame-src 'self' render.githubusercontent.com gist.github.com www.youtube.com player.vimeo.com checkout.paypal.com; font-src assets-cdn.github.com; connect-src 'self' live.github.com wss://live.github.com uploads.github.com status.github.com api.github.com www.google-analytics.com github-cloud.s3.amazonaws.com
Cache-Control: no-cache
Vary: X-PJAX
Location: https://s3.amazonaws...ion=attachment; filename=DjinniCompanion-v1.0.7z&response-content-type=application/octet-stream&AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAISTNZFOVBIJMK3TQ&Expires=1430156741&Signature=irPuIizGf4V4vcpSCXiZKTg9vtU=
X-UA-Compatible: IE=Edge,chrome=1
Set-Cookie: logged_in=no; domain=.github.com; path=/; expires=Fri, 27-Apr-2035 17:44:41 GMT; secure; HttpOnly
Set-Cookie: _gh_sess=eyJzZXNzaW9uX2lkIjoiN2JlY2JmMWU2ODk2N2RkMzdiNmIwMDNhNzA0M2U2MDYiLCJzcHlfcmVwbyI6IkFyZ2VudDc3L0RqaW5uaUNvbXBhbmlvbiIsInNweV9yZXBvX2F0IjoxNDMwMTU2NjgxfQ==--4ec85aa57241b8274ae9c7b3f25d410f41f23bda; path=/; secure; HttpOnly
X-Request-Id: 4aaeff8cef6a278bac9e444e956c2408
X-Runtime: 0.015551
X-GitHub-Request-Id: 5A99654A:5672:F2554C:553E7589
Strict-Transport-Security: max-age=31536000; includeSubdomains; preload
X-Content-Type-Options: nosniff
X-XSS-Protection: 1; mode=block
X-Frame-Options: deny
Vary: Accept-Encoding
X-Served-By: d0e230454cb69aa01d4f86fc3a57b17f
Location: https://s3.amazonaws...ion=attachment; filename=DjinniCompanion-v1.0.7z&response-content-type=application/octet-stream&AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAISTNZFOVBIJMK3TQ&Expires=1430156741&Signature=irPuIizGf4V4vcpSCXiZKTg9vtU= [following]
Spider mode enabled. Check if remote file exists.
--2015-04-27 19:44:41-- https://s3.amazonaws...ion=attachment; filename=DjinniCompanion-v1.0.7z&response-content-type=application/octet-stream&AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAISTNZFOVBIJMK3TQ&Expires=1430156741&Signature=irPuIizGf4V4vcpSCXiZKTg9vtU=
Resolving s3.amazonaws.com (s3.amazonaws.com)... 54.231.8.48
Connecting to s3.amazonaws.com (s3.amazonaws.com)|54.231.8.48|:443... connected.
WARNING: cannot verify s3.amazonaws.com's certificate, issued by `/C=US/O=VeriSign, Inc./OU=VeriSign Trust Network/OU=Terms of use at https://www.verisign.com/rpa ©10/CN=VeriSign Class 3 Secure Server CA - G3':
HTTP request sent, awaiting response...
HTTP/1.1 403 Forbidden
x-amz-request-id: 676D24E59475E78B
x-amz-id-2: KLYcDn39zESxm9FuvHKrAU8z6JQYffhKl9ngMfV0v/xJ7A57alcvEDra0qT6jDCj
Content-Type: application/xml
Transfer-Encoding: chunked
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2015 17:44:41 GMT
Server: AmazonS3
Remote file does not exist -- broken link!!!

Edited by dabus, 27 April 2015 - 09:52 AM.

THINK! - It's not illegal.

#1158 dabus

dabus
  • 1982 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 10:33 AM

You could also use the script name to get the path and stick with the vbs... ;)
SplitPath = Split(WScript.ScriptFullName, "\")
For s = 0 to Ubound(SplitPath) - 1
    AppPath = AppPath & SplitPath(s) & "\"
Next
objStartFolder = AppPath & "BiG World Setup\Config"

You just split the script full name, which is the complete path to its folder + a name.
Then append the usual and you're done.

It's funny that it looks similar to AutoIt3-code.
THINK! - It's not illegal.

#1159 Argent77

Argent77
  • Administrator
  • 1397 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 10:39 AM

Looks like the wget option "--spider" is causing issues with the cloud service from Github. Can this option be omited or worked around without causing additional issues?

The actual download command seems to work however:

wget.exe --no-passive-ftp --connect-timeout=20 --tries=3 --no-check-certificate --continue --progress=dot:binary --output-document=DjinniCompanion-v1.0.7z https://github.com/A...mpanion-v1.0.7z

#1160 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 27 April 2015 - 11:04 AM

I downloaded the EET branch and Animus: Sentinent weapon is available for a normal (non ee) BGT install. Intended or not? It seems to be only for EE but maybe I'm wrong?

TeamBG Armour Pack for BG2 used to be removed from BWS because it caused a crash (too long cre name) with BGT. Now it is back again. Intended or not? The mod itself does not seem to have been updated as far as I can tell.