Photo

BiG World Setup (an attempt to update the program)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5286 replies to this topic

#1501 Perdido

Perdido
  • 19 posts

Posted 09 August 2015 - 01:16 AM

So I keep running into the same (general) problems with an Expert install, now.

When attempting to import a character I get stuck at one of the BG1 recap cut scenes, the fight with Sarevok. For some strange reason I retain control of my character and can move around. Sarevok is unkillable and the scripts for the NPC players (both characters like Semaj and Angelo, as well as 'friendly' NPCs like Minsc and Jaheria) don't trigger. So I'm stuck.

When making a fresh character I'm able to progress through the above, but the game reloads the opening cinematic, but within the Loading screen and then crashes. I've noticed that the Soothsayer NPC for Exiles of Argentlune isn't spawning. Also, not noticing Shar-Teel spawning in her appropriate cage for NEJ (unless she's been moved to another location), which seems weird. 

#1502 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 09 August 2015 - 04:57 AM

Also, for the aTweaks mod v442, there did not appear to be any setup file downloaded, so I will use the earlier v4.40 beta 3 for my manual install.

You can rename any random setup-XXX.exe to setup-atweaks.exe and use it (I hope the BWS handles this :P)

@Perdido: I really hope you know how to debug and fix this but seriously... doing an expert install is just asking for stuff like this to happen :unsure: (also open a new thread for your game like micbaldur so we can track everything in one place :cheers:)

"I am the smiley addict, yellow and round, this is my grin :D when I'm usually around :P.
When there's trouble brewing, see me post, cuz it's usually a wall o' yellow and your eyes are toast!!!"

BWP GUIDE - BWP FIXES - impFAQ - NPC LIST - KIT LIST - AREA LIST

GitHub Links : BWP Fixpack | Lolfixer | BWP Trimpack | RezMod

#1503 Perdido

Perdido
  • 19 posts

Posted 09 August 2015 - 05:09 AM

Also, for the aTweaks mod v442, there did not appear to be any setup file downloaded, so I will use the earlier v4.40 beta 3 for my manual install.

You can rename any random setup-XXX.exe to setup-atweaks.exe and use it (I hope the BWS handles this :P)

@Perdido: I really hope you know how to debug and fix this but seriously... doing an expert install is just asking for stuff like this to happen :unsure: (also open a new thread for your game like micbaldur so we can track everything in one place :cheers:)

I do know some basic debugging stuff, and was able to get an Expert install going the last time around. I'm mostly interested in trying to play some of the non-English mods that have been translated, and I think most/all of them are toggled as Expert.

Sorry, not trying to clog this thread up with non-important stuff.

#1504 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 09 August 2015 - 05:52 AM

I've updated the wmart.ini to point to a temporary package until CoM updates their main mod - please note that the same package can now be used by both BGEE and BGT :) I have no clue how to make the BWS understand that :P

Also, I noticed what you meant by disabling the Web spell - if it means making it unavailable, it would be better to just mark it expert so we can still test installing it :cheers:

"I am the smiley addict, yellow and round, this is my grin :D when I'm usually around :P.
When there's trouble brewing, see me post, cuz it's usually a wall o' yellow and your eyes are toast!!!"

#1505 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 09 August 2015 - 05:56 AM

I have the same problem as Chasington and Valikdu, in that the Web spell animation destroys my framerate and makes the game pretty much unplayable. The fixes here didn't work for me either.

So I went into NearInfinity and looked at my own character's Web spell, and saw that it was using the spell animation file spwi215.spl. Then I went to my installation directory and searched for that file. 13 versions came up, different backups in different mod folders. four of them were 1kb in size, three were 2 kb in size, and six of them were 14 or 15kb. I copied all of them into the override and then loaded up the game to see what the animations showed. Here's my results:
  • spell_rev\spwi2##\spwi215.spl: 874 bytes. Showed standard bg2 webs going out in a spread on spell cast. No actual animations on the ground. Half the original spell? Or maybe I'm just in the Copper Coronet?
  • !BInfinitySounds\Backup\1\SPWI215.SPL: 874 bytes. Same deal as above. Pretty predictable based on the same byte size.
  • iwdification\backup\30\SPWI215.SPL: 13.2 kb. Framerate-killing Entangle-looking glowing crap with a fog effect. Exactly the kinda thing I want to avoid.
At this point I didn't want to go through every single file, because its obvious that the large file sizes are the ones that fuck up the game. In the end I went with the 874 byte one that I found at first. It works and doesn't mess up the game.

Edited by Usurper, 09 August 2015 - 06:19 AM.

The Monk is always out to keep a wild mage down. But the Weave, she speaks to me. Together we work our collective will on this brittle, cracking world.
Playing the Big World Project Let's Play both here and on the Something Awful forums.

#1506 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 09 August 2015 - 06:31 AM

I have the same problem as Chasington and Valikdu, in that the Web spell animation destroys my framerate and makes the game pretty much unplayable. The fixes here didn't work for me either.

So I went into NearInfinity and looked at my own character's Web spell, and saw that it was using the spell animation file spwi215.spl. Then I went to my installation directory and searched for that file. 13 versions came up, different backups in different mod folders. four of them were 1kb in size, three were 2 kb in size, and six of them were 14 or 15kb. I copied all of them into the override and then loaded up the game to see what the animations showed. Here's my results:

• spell_rev\spwi2##\spwi215.spl: 874 bytes. Showed standard bg2 webs going out in a spread on spell cast. No actual animations on the ground. Half the original spell? Or maybe I'm just in the Copper Coronet?
  • !BInfinitySounds\Backup\1\SPWI215.SPL: 874 bytes. Same deal as above. Pretty predictable based on the same byte size.
  • iwdification\backup\30\SPWI215.SPL: 13.2 kb. Framerate-killing Entangle-looking glowing crap with a fog effect. Exactly the kinda thing I want to avoid.
At this point I didn't want to go through every single file, because its obvious that the large file sizes are the ones that fuck up the game. In the end I went with the 874 byte one that I found at first. It works and doesn't mess up the game.

Matches to my observation - the mod causing it is the one installed before iwdification and after !BInfinitySounds, which according to my change log is SPELLPACKB6. If you have followed the proposed install sequence of BWP and have no other spell mods installed in between those two, this is where the problem starts.

Mods affecting SPWI215.SPL:
00000: ~SPELL_REV/SETUP-SPELL_REV.TP2~ 0 0 // Spell Revisions: v3.1 (Hotfix 03)
00001: ~SETUP-BINFINITYSOUNDS.TP2~ 0 1 // Restored BG1 Spell Casting Sound Effects: v1.3
00002: ~SETUP-SPELLPACKB6.TP2~ 0 1203 // Chant: BWP Fix
00003: ~SETUP-SPELLPACKB6.TP2~ 0 1405 // Mental Domination: BWP Fix
00004: ~SETUP-SPELLPACKB6.TP2~ 0 2240 // Hypnotic Pattern: BWP Fix
00005: ~SETUP-SPELLPACKB6.TP2~ 0 2215 // Web: BWP Fix
00006: ~IWDIFICATION/SETUP-IWDIFICATION.TP2~ 0 30 // IWD Arcane Spell Pack: Beta 2
00007: ~SCALES_OF_BALANCE/SCALES_OF_BALANCE.TP2~ 0 600 // 600: Wizard Class Changes: v3.0
00008: ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ 0 1000 // Initialise mod (all other components require this): v30
00009: /* acted upon in an indetectable manner */~GENERALIZED_BIFFING/GENERALIZED_BIFFING.TP2~ 0 0 // Generalized Biffing: v2.2
00010: /* acted upon in an indetectable manner */~GENERALIZED_BIFFING/GENERALIZED_BIFFING.TP2~ 0 0 // Generalized Biffing: v2.2

Edited by Roxanne, 09 August 2015 - 06:42 AM.

The Sandrah Saga

another piece of *buggy, cheesy, unbalanced junk*

#1507 Valikdu

Valikdu
  • 20 posts

Posted 09 August 2015 - 09:00 AM

Error when installing the latest version:

ERROR: error loading [wmart/cre/WMART1.CRE]
ERROR: Unix.Unix_error(20, "stat", "wmart/cre/WMART1.CRE")
Deidre and Joluv in BGT (Deidre and Joluv in BG:EE) was not installed due to errors.

#1508 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 09 August 2015 - 09:15 AM

That should be fixed when the BWS points to this - which should be within the next day :P (once someone from the BWS team pulls this in)

EDIT: And it's pulled :P Grab the new BWS master and try again :lol:

Edited by Lollorian, 09 August 2015 - 09:23 AM.

#1509 Valikdu

Valikdu
  • 20 posts

Posted 09 August 2015 - 12:26 PM

This is about 10th time I'm trying to install BWS. I'M NOT STOPPING FOR ONE SHOP MOD, ESPECIALLY SINCE IT'S PAST SCS ALREADY.

Also, this happened:

ERROR: Failure("resource [NATALK9.cre] not found for 'COPY'")
Item and XP Balancing for 'Northern Tales of the Sword Coast (v1.70a)' -> Also randomly remove SOME overpowered custom items (will not affect quest relevanted items) (BP-Balancer (Beta)) was not installed due to errors.

and later

ERROR: [./override/ISHXAR9.wav] has size 20666924: TOO BIG FOR WEIDU (max 16777211)
ERROR: error loading [./override/ISHXAR9.wav]
ERROR: [./override/DGMAIN.wav] has size 21135920: TOO BIG FOR WEIDU (max 16777211)
ERROR: error loading [./override/DGMAIN.wav]
ERROR: illegal 8-byte read from offset -248617990 of 25474-byte file F_6666.ARE
ERROR: [F_6666.ARE] -> [override/F_6666.ARE] Patching Failed (COPY) (Failure("F_6666.ARE: read out of bounds"))
ERROR: Failure("F_6666.ARE: read out of bounds")
Area Stuff - MAJESTIC Area Fixer (LolFixer) was not installed due to errors.

Also, one of the "flashback" cutscenes in BGII (Check the Bodies?) became bugged, the one where Sarevok is killed. Nobody's doing anything, but your character appears there and is controllable.

Also also, anyone have an idea of which component may be changing Imoen into a mage from the start? The search didn't find anything obvious.

Edited by Valikdu, 09 August 2015 - 01:42 PM.

#1510 Unknow_error

Unknow_error
  • 52 posts

Posted 09 August 2015 - 02:19 PM

This is about 10th time I'm trying to install BWS. I'M NOT STOPPING FOR ONE SHOP MOD, ESPECIALLY SINCE IT'S PAST SCS ALREADY.

Also, this happened:

Item and XP Balancing for 'Northern Tales of the Sword Coast (v1.70a)' -> Also randomly remove SOME overpowered custom items (will not affect quest relevanted items) (BP-Balancer (Beta)) was not installed due to errors.

and later

ERROR: [./override/ISHXAR9.wav] has size 20666924: TOO BIG FOR WEIDU (max 16777211)
ERROR: error loading [./override/ISHXAR9.wav]
ERROR: [./override/DGMAIN.wav] has size 21135920: TOO BIG FOR WEIDU (max 16777211)
ERROR: error loading [./override/DGMAIN.wav]
ERROR: illegal 8-byte read from offset -248617990 of 25474-byte file F_6666.ARE
ERROR: [F_6666.ARE] -> [override/F_6666.ARE] Patching Failed (COPY) (Failure("F_6666.ARE: read out of bounds"))
ERROR: Failure("F_6666.ARE: read out of bounds")
Area Stuff - MAJESTIC Area Fixer (LolFixer) was not installed due to errors.

Also, one of the "flashback" cutscenes in BGII (Check the Bodies?) became bugged, the one where Sarevok is killed. Nobody's doing anything, but your character appears there and is controllable.

Also also, anyone have an idea of which component may be changing Imoen into a mage from the start? The search didn't find anything obvious.

I had this error

I think the mod "Northern Tales of the Sword Coast" doesn't copy the file "NATAL9.cre" into the "Override" . If you copy manually the file , you can install BP-Balancer Mod

The file is in /NTotSC/CRe

Edited by Unknow_error, 09 August 2015 - 03:35 PM.

#1511 Izzy

Izzy
  • 82 posts

Posted 09 August 2015 - 03:30 PM

Missing dialogue ....

Well, I ran the BWS. It appeared to be working fine. Alas ... it was not meant to be. Figures.

Anyway, the baseline stuff seems to be working fine, and even some of the mods and NPC's.

So far ... the trouble areas are ....

Unfinished Business

Keto

Romantic Encounters

Anytime I run into anything associated with them I get a blank dialogue screen.

If I click on the blank (continuosly) I see my characters name scroll through multiple times

on the side with nothing for comments and EVENTUALLY it lets you "end" it.

However I have no idea what I said to the person or they me.

Any thoughts?

Edited by Izzy, 09 August 2015 - 03:33 PM.

Ooo, squirells, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!

#1512 subtledoctor

subtledoctor
  • Modder
  • 656 posts

Posted 09 August 2015 - 08:34 PM

@Izzy it sounds like your dialog.tlk got FUBAR'd. My best guess, those three mods installed with the wrong language, and wrote their strings to the wrong file, meaning this strings are missing in your game.

the mod causing it is the one installed before iwdification and after !BInfinitySounds, which according to my change log is SPELLPACKB6. If you have followed the proposed install sequence of BWP and have no other spell mods installed in between those two, this is where the problem starts.

Mods affecting SPWI215.SPL: ...

In my experience, Spell Revisions and SpellPack B6 don't play well together. *Especially* when it comes to Web. You can't avoid it in SR (unless you do some .tp2 surgery), so the answer is to avoid anything relating to Web in SpellPack.

#1513 Izzy

Izzy
  • 82 posts

Posted 09 August 2015 - 09:36 PM

@Izzy it sounds like your dialog.tlk got FUBAR'd. My best guess, those three mods installed with the wrong language, and wrote their strings to the wrong file, meaning this strings are missing in your game.

the mod causing it is the one installed before iwdification and after !BInfinitySounds, which according to my change log is SPELLPACKB6. If you have followed the proposed install sequence of BWP and have no other spell mods installed in between those two, this is where the problem starts.

Mods affecting SPWI215.SPL: ...

In my experience, Spell Revisions and SpellPack B6 don't play well together. *Especially* when it comes to Web. You can't avoid it in SR (unless you do some .tp2 surgery), so the answer is to avoid anything relating to Web in SpellPack.

Well that's odd because I didn't install any of those. Is one or more of the "fixes" that I was forced to take the cause? Seriosly this is getting anoying.

I now have 2 more mods that are jacked up. Is there a way to fix the language? I chose English, what the heck else am I supposed to do?

Ooo, squirells, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!

#1514 Quiet

Quiet
  • 189 posts

Posted 09 August 2015 - 11:31 PM

I had a discussion with Leonardo about the NeJs over PMs - the next BWP release will probably include changes to how the BWP deals with NeJ :) The BWP will only install the latest public version and it will most probably be marked SUPERULTRAMEGA EXPERT for extra caution :P

Good to know this. Then I leave NEJ unchanged. :P

Yes, the BWS automatically adds missing setup-XXX.exe.

I've updated the wmart.ini to point to a temporary package until CoM updates their main mod - please note that the same package can now be used by both BGEE and BGT :) I have no clue how to make the BWS understand that :P

If mod name and components have not changed, then nothing else to do. All should work well. :)

Also, I noticed what you meant by disabling the Web spell - if it means making it unavailable, it would be better to just mark it expert so we can still test installing it :cheers:

Then maybe it is worth adding some SpellPack's Web incompatibility (for example, with Spell Revision, as subtledoctor said), but with the possibility of ignore that incompatibility for those who like to experiment?

I could be wrong, but it seems that SandrahNPC does it.

#1515 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 09 August 2015 - 11:39 PM

I had a discussion with Leonardo about the NeJs over PMs - the next BWP release will probably include changes to how the BWP deals with NeJ :) The BWP will only install the latest public version and it will most probably be marked SUPERULTRAMEGA EXPERT for extra caution :P

Good to know this. Then I leave NEJ unchanged. :P

Yes, the BWS automatically adds missing setup-XXX.exe.

If mod name and components have not changed, then nothing else to do. All should work well. :)

Then maybe it is worth adding some SpellPack's Web incompatibility (for example, with Spell Revision, as subtledoctor said), but with the possibility of ignore that incompatibility for those who like to experiment?

I could be wrong, but it seems that SandrahNPC does it.

SandrahNPC is one mod which does - but only after asking your consent in the install dialogue. Other mods may do a similar change.

The Sandrah Saga

#1516 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 12:31 AM

Minor (in)compability issue detected between Sandrah RtF and BP-BGt_Worldmap. In order to play RtF with the worldmap the option

"Use new worldmap for Throne of Bhaal as well" must be selected.

If installed according to BWP sequence Sandrah is installed BEFORE worldmap, so the mod's own check for the worldmap does not guarantee you see all the maps required. Maybe there should be a hint in BWP for it?

The Sandrah Saga

#1517 Quiet

Quiet
  • 189 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 02:45 AM

SandrahNPC is one mod which does - but only after asking your consent in the install dialogue. Other mods may do a similar change.
It's Consistent Imoen subcomponent? If I refuse to install it, what will happen? It somehow affect other components?

Minor (in)compability issue detected between Sandrah RtF and BP-BGt_Worldmap. In order to play RtF with the worldmap the option
If installed according to BWP sequence Sandrah is installed BEFORE worldmap, so the mod's own check for the worldmap does not guarantee you see all the maps required. Maybe there should be a hint in BWP for it?
If Sandrah RtF checks whether "Use new worldmap for Throne of Bhaal as well" installed, then it is necessary to move Sandrah RtF after Worldmap. If not, then I'll just add a dependence Sandrah RtF from Worldmap's "Use new worldmap for Throne of Bhaal as well".

#1518 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 02:57 AM

It's Consistent Imoen subcomponent? If I refuse to install it, what will happen? It somehow affect other components?
It is this (and same is true for Minsc) Both are under *check for required components*. If you say no, the installation is aborted. Just like for the case any required external mod is missing. This check was done after long forum discussion not to surprise the player by some change he/she was not aware of.

If Sandrah RtF checks whether "Use new worldmap for Throne of Bhaal as well" installed, then it is necessary to move Sandrah RtF after Worldmap. If not, then I'll just add a dependence Sandrah RtF from Worldmap's "Use new worldmap for Throne of Bhaal as well".

The Installation is actually done by SandrahNPC, it has not visible effect until you play RtF. It is better probably to make the dependence than to move the mod.

Edited by Roxanne, 10 August 2015 - 02:58 AM.

The Sandrah Saga

#1519 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5150 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 03:27 AM

Izzy is using the non-EE game, so what you are suggesting shouldn't happen in the first place.

@Izzy: Did you have a previous version of the BWS in your folders before extracting the newest version over it there ? I would have remembered that that might have been the reason... but I actually have no real idea how to go fix this. Except the very unfun of uninstall the current BiG World Setup in the game directory with the restart of the BiG World Setup.vbs and then setting it to uninstall the curerent configuration, then after removing the current BWS folder (except the mod archives of course), re-extracting the very latest BWS, and running it there. And hoping that that fixes it.

- but likely not, as it sounds like Lollorians reply will.

Edited by The Imp, 10 August 2015 - 07:22 AM.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#1520 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 06:35 AM

Missing dialogue ....

Well, I ran the BWS. It appeared to be working fine. Alas ... it was not meant to be. Figures.

Anyway, the baseline stuff seems to be working fine, and even some of the mods and NPC's.

So far ... the trouble areas are ....

Unfinished Business

Keto

Romantic Encounters

Anytime I run into anything associated with them I get a blank dialogue screen.

If I click on the blank (continuosly) I see my characters name scroll through multiple times

on the side with nothing for comments and EVENTUALLY it lets you "end" it.

However I have no idea what I said to the person or they me.

Any thoughts?

I dunno but Ostar recently faced something similar - have a look at Mad Mate's instructions :)