Photo

So the Infinity Animation update..

• Please log in to reply
190 replies to this topic

#21 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5148 posts

Posted 11 May 2021 - 09:21 AM

You will want to make sure that that's the intended .exe and not a random pick from a box.

How is "bgmain.exe" a random pick from a box, exactly?

Well, you'll want to make sure that for example, the file size matches, and so it's not the not-patched_BG2_SoA -game, but indeed a ToB_patched_v2.5.26498 -game. Believe me, you don't want to go there...

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#22 Andrea C.

Andrea C.
  • Modder
  • 457 posts

Posted 12 May 2021 - 02:12 AM

• Equipping the main-hand weapon first and the off-hand weapon second, no hand will display a weapon. All mechanical perks of dual-wielding apply except it looks like you're punching your enemy to death

Correction. This will make the game crash.

I'll check with Insomniator if it can be helped.

#23 Andrea C.

Andrea C.
  • Modder
  • 457 posts

Posted 13 May 2021 - 11:02 PM

Adding these two lines to the code I previously provided will prevent that crash as well:

WRITE_BYTE 0x5B9A26 0xEB
WRITE_BYTE 0x5FFB5D 0xEB

One again many thanks to Insomniator for looking into it and providing the code.

Edited by Andrea C., 13 May 2021 - 11:02 PM.

#24 Gwendolyne

Gwendolyne
  • Administrator
  • 1016 posts

Posted 15 May 2021 - 08:53 PM

Argh!!!

I was just about to release v6.0.0 beta 1 for classic games...

For this fix (that needs to modify and fine-tune the BG1characters components coding), I might add TobEx as a prerequisite to install the mod. Which should not be a big issue as classic players usually install it. ;)

CARPE DIEM ....

In progress : Menace sur le Royaume de Diamant Éternel there.

#25 Andrea C.

Andrea C.
  • Modder
  • 457 posts

Posted 15 May 2021 - 11:50 PM

Insomniator made a modified ToBEx DLL that solves the robe issue.

The way it does it is it bypasses the slot number prerequisite for identifying mage animations and instead uses the BAM names to do that.

The limitation of this method is that any new mage type animations added to the game who employ a different name for their BAMs wont be picked up as such and will require adding to the ToBEx DLL. But at this point how likely is that to happen anyway?

The fix for the crash can be added to the BG1 sprite component as part of the WeiDU code.

#26 Gwendolyne

Gwendolyne
  • Administrator
  • 1016 posts

Posted 16 May 2021 - 12:59 AM

For the moment, the workaround for the robe switching issue is mentioned on top of the readme file. I tested it in-game and it seems to be working fine.

I guess I will let it this way while beta testing time. Then, if all classic games testers think it might be a ++ to install the tobex.dll library with IA, I will include it with Insomniator agreement.

As for dual-wielding, it will take time to modify the bg1 characters sub-components, maybe a couple of days.

CARPE DIEM ....

#27 Insomniator

Insomniator
  • Modder
  • 358 posts

Posted 16 May 2021 - 04:31 AM

I guess I will let it this way while beta testing time. Then, if all classic games testers think it might be a ++ to install the tobex.dll library with IA, I will include it with Insomniator agreement.

Hi Gwendolyne

"BG1 Robe Animation" fix is simple, you can make it without tobex if override two checks with your asm code at 0x5AAF96 and 0x5AAFC0:

; ecx - CCreatureObject
mov edx, [ecx+416h] ; edx - m_BaseStats.animId
and edx, 0F00h
cmp edx,200h ; 0x52xx, 0x62xx mage mask
jnz NoMageMask

Edited by Insomniator, 16 May 2021 - 04:33 AM.

#28 Andrea C.

Andrea C.
  • Modder
  • 457 posts

Posted 16 May 2021 - 06:45 AM

Gwendolyne,

with regards to the "Humanoid Animation Fixes", these:

• Male human fighters get the fighter instead of cleric animation
  • Male elf fighters get the fighter instead of cleric animation
  • Male halfling fighters get the fighter instead of cleric animation
  • Female human fighters get the fighter instead of cleric animation
  • Male human mages get the mage instead of cleric animation
  • Male elf mages get the mage instead of cleric animation

May require an exception for members of the Flaming Fist in BG1, as I believe their appearance as clerics was very much intentional.

EDIT: By the way, BG1 sprites don't crash the game if made to dual-wield in the Enhanced Editions, so you don't need the warning in the Readme for EE games. Going by memory, scimitars should display as short swords and katanas as long swords so excluding CREs that wield them may not be necessary.

Edited by Andrea C., 16 May 2021 - 06:49 AM.

#29 Andrea C.

Andrea C.
  • Modder
  • 457 posts

Posted 16 May 2021 - 08:37 AM

While we're at it, I'd love an option not to change the sprite of the guards in Nashkel to the BG2 Amnian guard one. I like the original better and I'm sure I'm not the only one who wants the full nostalgic experience when playing through the BG1 portion of BGT ;)

#30 Gwendolyne

Gwendolyne
  • Administrator
  • 1016 posts

Posted 16 May 2021 - 11:22 AM

Gwendolyne,

with regards to the "Humanoid Animation Fixes", these:

• Male human fighters get the fighter instead of cleric animation
  • Male elf fighters get the fighter instead of cleric animation
  • Male halfling fighters get the fighter instead of cleric animation
  • Female human fighters get the fighter instead of cleric animation
  • Male human mages get the mage instead of cleric animation
  • Male elf mages get the mage instead of cleric animation

May require an exception for members of the Flaming Fist in BG1, as I believe their appearance as clerics was very much intentional.

EDIT: By the way, BG1 sprites don't crash the game if made to dual-wield in the Enhanced Editions, so you don't need the warning in the Readme for EE games. Going by memory, scimitars should display as short swords and katanas as long swords so excluding CREs that wield them may not be necessary.

He, he!!!

The first thing I did when I began to update this old mod was to externalize lists of creatures to be patched into arrays for easier maintenance. Tell me which .cre to exclude, and I will comment them.

As for dual wielding in EE games, I noticed the Wxxxxx bam files series added animations for bastard, katana and scimitars swords. For the moment, the readme file is only reflecting classic games change-log, and EE compatibility features that have been tested.

I am currently checking if the last patch modified anything related to IA coding in BG:EE, SoD, BG2:EE and IWD:EE. And I kept the hardest part for the end: Moinesses avatars (that need to be rebuilt to work in game - almost done) and BG1 characters components.

While we're at it, I'd love an option not to change the sprite of the guards in Nashkel to the BG2 Amnian guard one. I like the original better and I'm sure I'm not the only one who wants the full nostalgic experience when playing through the BG1 portion of BGT ;)

Easy. Same as above. Tell me which .cre to exclude. I can easily add an option in config.ini file to exclude them or not.

CARPE DIEM ....

#31 Sam.

Sam.
  • Administrator
  • 1292 posts

Posted 16 May 2021 - 02:28 PM

And I kept the hardest part for the end: Moinesses avatars (that need to be rebuilt to work in game - almost done) and BG1 characters components.

Did you try my suggestion on github? I really think it'll work (but haven't tested) if you copy and rename the combined sequence BAMs into the splitted file names and perform no additional internal edits.

"Ok, I've just about had my FILL of riddle asking, quest assigning, insult throwing, pun hurling, hostage taking, iron mongering, smart-arsed fools, freaks, and felons that continually test my will, mettle, strength, intelligence, and most of all, patience! If you've got a straight answer ANYWHERE in that bent little head of yours, I want to hear it pretty damn quick or I'm going to take a large blunt object roughly the size of Elminster AND his hat, and stuff it lengthwise into a crevice of your being so seldom seen that even the denizens of the nine hells themselves wouldn't touch it with a twenty-foot rusty halberd! Have I MADE myself perfectly CLEAR?!"

--<CHARNAME> to Portalbendarwinden

--------------------

post-10485-0-15080600-1348188745.jpg
___________Old pen and paper modules of the 70s and 80s.___________

CA Forums CA Homepage

#32 Gwendolyne

Gwendolyne
  • Administrator
  • 1016 posts

Posted 16 May 2021 - 11:33 PM

I tested it with the male vampire animation, and it seems to work. But as it was the last one to convert, I decided to provide "normal" files as described in the IA Reference Picker readme, because I don't want to waste my time explaining players and modders why IA bam files don't have the same pattern as explained in the documentation.

Anyway, it is done, at last. ;)

CARPE DIEM ....

#33 Andrea C.

Andrea C.
  • Modder
  • 457 posts

Posted 17 May 2021 - 12:00 AM

The first thing I did when I began to update this old mod was to externalize lists of creatures to be patched into arrays for easier maintenance. Tell me which .cre to exclude, and I will comment them.

Easy. Same as above. Tell me which .cre to exclude. I can easily add an option in config.ini file to exclude them or not.

Here are the CRE files, straight outta vanilla BG1:

Flaming Fist

CHIMP5.CRE

FFUNIT.CRE

FFSLEEP.CRE

FLAM.CRE

FLAM2.CRE

FLAM3.CRE

FLAM4.CRE

FLAM5.CRE

FLAM6.CRE

FLAM7.CRE

FLAM8.CRE

FLAM9.CRE

FLAM10.CRE

FLAM11.CRE

FLAM12.CRE

FLAMBIRD.CRE

FLAMC7.CRE

FLAME.CRE

FLAMEN.CRE

FLAMEN2.CRE

FLAMGG.CRE

FLAMHUSB.CRE

FLAMPUN.CRE

FLAMPUN2.CRE

FLAMSCO.CRE

FLAMVAI.CRE

FLAMWIZ.CRE

WATCHM.CRE

Amnian Guards

AMNIS.CRE

AMNIS2.CRE

AMNIS3.CRE

AMNIS4.CRE

AMNISE.CRE

AMNISE2.CRE

AMSLEEP.CRE

DEAD2.CRE

DEADFUCK.CRE

HICK.CRE

#34 Gwendolyne

Gwendolyne
  • Administrator
  • 1016 posts

Posted 17 May 2021 - 12:06 AM

Thanks, I will include two new options in ia-config.ini :

ia_flaming_fist_get_fighter_anim=1 (the fighter instead of cleric animation by default to respect Erephine choice)

ia_nashkel_get_bg2_amnian_guard_anim=1 (same logic).

Players who prefer to keep their original sprites will have to set them to "0" before installing the mod.

Then adding the second check in t-humanoid_fixes.tpa should do the trick:

ACTION_PHP_EACH GW_male_human_fighters AS t-bcre => correct BEGIN

ACTION_IF (FILE_EXISTS_IN_GAME ~%t-bcre%.cre~ AND is_flaming_fist_get_fighter_anim = correct) BEGIN

patch the file

Edited by Gwendolyne, 17 May 2021 - 12:23 AM.

CARPE DIEM ....

#35 Gwendolyne

Gwendolyne
  • Administrator
  • 1016 posts

Posted 18 May 2021 - 03:53 PM

Added in repo. ;)

CARPE DIEM ....

#36 Andrea C.

Andrea C.
  • Modder
  • 457 posts

Posted 18 May 2021 - 10:54 PM

Yay! Thank you, Gwendolyne :)

#37 Gwendolyne

Gwendolyne
  • Administrator
  • 1016 posts

Posted 18 May 2021 - 11:25 PM

I will add the same logics for dual wielding: by default, I keep the same coding (apply BG1 characters slots to cre files that can't dual wield), but I add a new setting in config.ini. If set to 1, the component will patch bgmain.exe and allow dual wielding with the behavior limitations you noticed. This will have two main advantages;

• I don't need to re-write the code, except adding a new condition block.
  • For people like me who are not satisfied with the new behavior, it would be a no to install this component with this fix. Giving the choice will please everyone. ;)

Edited by Gwendolyne, 18 May 2021 - 11:26 PM.

CARPE DIEM ....

#38 Andrea C.

Andrea C.
  • Modder
  • 457 posts

Posted 19 May 2021 - 02:05 AM

I can totally get behind the first reason—and I generally agree that offering options is always very welcome—but I'm not sure I fully understand your second reason. Isn't "odd behavior" better than "CTD" in all cases? You may elect not to dual-wield with BG1 sprites anyway because it looks odd, but fixing the CTD makes the sprites fool-proof. No more crashing if a user unwittingly puts a weapon in the off-hand, or if a CRE is mistakenly given a BG1 sprite while an off-hand weapon equipped (which shouldn't happen as the IA installer prevents it, but you never know.)

By the by, could you liaise with Insomniator to include the mage robe fix in the end?

Edited by Andrea C., 19 May 2021 - 02:06 AM.

#39 Gwendolyne

Gwendolyne
  • Administrator
  • 1016 posts

Posted 19 May 2021 - 09:19 AM

The reason is quite simple: I never installed the BG1 characters animations for PCs component to avoid the crash. But, from time to time, I installed the BG1 sprites components for some NPCs. This way, the game never crashed. ;)

And I know a lot of players who build the same components lists. Moreover, if this new option is well documented in the readme, it will save maintainers a lot of time answering players who will inevitably complain because the new fix is not perfect, even if it solves annoying CTDs.

As for the mage robe fix, PM sent. ;)

CARPE DIEM ....

#40 Andrea C.

Andrea C.
  • Modder
  • 457 posts

Posted 21 May 2021 - 08:19 AM

Gwendolyne,

Could you add VAI.CRE to the list of Flaming Fist characters that can be optioned to retain their Cleric sprite?