• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Gwendolyne

Gwendolyne
  • Administrator
  • 1016 posts

Posted 30 July 2020 - 10:22 PM

Hello everybody.

I know many have been waiting for it for a long time, but better late than never: The new 1pp version is available as a pre-release for testing.

As the list of changes is too large to be published, I invite you to consult the change-log of the provisional readme. You will also find the todo_1pp.txt file which lists the improvements and the remaining choices to be made.

I strongly recommend you to read carefully the new readme before installing the mod since all configuration installation options have been moved into 1pp-config-default.ini file.

If you are interested, do not hesitate to post your feedback in this thread.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Gwendolyne, 30 July 2020 - 11:23 PM.

CARPE DIEM ....

In progress : Menace sur le Royaume de Diamant Éternel there.

#2 jastey

jastey
  • Administrator
  • 3218 posts

Posted 30 July 2020 - 11:03 PM

Thank you for your work on this!

#3 Sam.

Sam.
  • Administrator
  • 1292 posts

Posted 31 July 2020 - 04:16 AM

Congratulations on the beta release and thank you for your hard work!  A couple initial thoughts:
  • The download link in the readme points to an outdated version.
  • The GitHub link in the readme returns a 404 error (destination does not exist).
  • The readme claims "This mod is designed to work on all classical Infinity Engine games" but then fails to list BG1/ToSC (and PS:T).
  • Have you considered including the HQ Music for an all-in-one 1pp package?
  • I understand the desire to move away from READLN, but for the component options that are binary (not install | install), doesn't it make much more sense to make them directly installable components (or more likely subcomponents) rather than burying them in an INI file?
  • Why does the Attachable Wings component require 101 to be installed?  It shouldn't (or didn't use to) have any dependencies whatsoever.
  • Also, please do include the male variant of the wings.

Edited by Sam., 31 July 2020 - 04:16 AM.

"Ok, I've just about had my FILL of riddle asking, quest assigning, insult throwing, pun hurling, hostage taking, iron mongering, smart-arsed fools, freaks, and felons that continually test my will, mettle, strength, intelligence, and most of all, patience! If you've got a straight answer ANYWHERE in that bent little head of yours, I want to hear it pretty damn quick or I'm going to take a large blunt object roughly the size of Elminster AND his hat, and stuff it lengthwise into a crevice of your being so seldom seen that even the denizens of the nine hells themselves wouldn't touch it with a twenty-foot rusty halberd! Have I MADE myself perfectly CLEAR?!"

--<CHARNAME> to Portalbendarwinden

--------------------

post-10485-0-15080600-1348188745.jpg
___________Old pen and paper modules of the 70s and 80s.___________

CA Forums CA Homepage

#4 Cahir

Cahir
  • Modder
  • 133 posts

Posted 31 July 2020 - 04:53 AM

Noob question, can it be installed on EE? If yes, will EE game benefit from this mod at all? I realize that the content of IPP is included in EE's, but maybe not all the content? Maybe there are some parts of the mod that could be used for EE's?

#5 skellytz

skellytz
  • Staff
  • 474 posts

Posted 31 July 2020 - 10:44 AM

Thank you! :)

So, just a quick test and sadly it seems like the colors from the extended palette are still treated as random (ie will change every load). Have you attempted to fix this issue?

#6 Gwendolyne

Gwendolyne
  • Administrator
  • 1016 posts

Posted 31 July 2020 - 11:54 AM

Congratulations on the beta release and thank you for your hard work!  A couple initial thoughts:

• The download link in the readme points to an outdated version.
  • The GitHub link in the readme returns a 404 error (destination does not exist).
  • The readme claims "This mod is designed to work on all classical Infinity Engine games" but then fails to list BG1/ToSC (and PS:T).
  • Have you considered including the HQ Music for an all-in-one 1pp package?
  • I understand the desire to move away from READLN, but for the component options that are binary (not install | install), doesn't it make much more sense to make them directly installable components (or more likely subcomponents) rather than burying them in an INI file?
  • Why does the Attachable Wings component require 101 to be installed?  It shouldn't (or didn't use to) have any dependencies whatsoever.

• Readme links: As I did not want players to install this beta version before official release, I did not transfer it from my GitHub account to SHS one. As a result, the DL links point either to SHS DL Center (previous version not yet updated) or to SHS 1pp repository which does not exist for the moment. Sorry for the inconvenient, but this will be solved once the mod will be officialy released.
  • Good catch: I forgot to replace "all classical IE games" with "most" ;)

Once again, it seems we have the same ideas: I have considered regrouping HQ music packs in the same package, as we have gathered all the IA archives (the test version of which will be published in the course of next week ;)). But at first, I preferred to solve the 1pp problem. Once this version is validated, I can easily include the music packs in the same package.

Attachable Wings: I agree with both your proposals. So I can cross that line off the todo list.

Considering the configuration options, the problem is that most of them are used by the 400 component which depends on which core components have been installed. I've done some testing to replace the READLNs actions with sub-components. Unfortunately, this resulted in a plethora of new components that would have made the installation much more complex. I have a project under way to group the components by group: installing the core data (component series 200 to 209), patching objects and spells, that might simplify the process. I know that changing options in an external ini file may seem complicated for some players, but it's the only easy way to simplify the installation which becomes transparent to the player once he.she has read the readme.

Noob question, can it be installed on EE? If yes, will EE game benefit from this mod at all? I realize that the content of IPP is included in EE's, but maybe not all the content? Maybe there are some parts of the mod that could be used for EE's?

This is a point listed in the todo list. However, at this point, this will cause more problems than it might solve. I had in mind to release a "1pp fixpack" mod for EE games that would patch EE games items and spells with classical 1pp content not yet included. That could be done once this version is validated.

Thank you! :)

So, just a quick test and sadly it seems like the colors from the extended palette are still treated as random (ie will change every load). Have you attempted to fix this issue?

Unfortunately, after reading all posts dealing with this subject, I came to the conclusion that there were no way to fix it, at least beyond my abilities. And that the readme warning is still available:

Interesting side note: If a colour that has an entry in RANDCOLR.2da is set as an entry of a random colour itself, it will show up as the intended colour value.

However, if someone has figured out a solution, I would of course be glad to include it. ;)

Edited by Gwendolyne, 31 July 2020 - 12:44 PM.

CARPE DIEM ....

#7 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5148 posts

Posted 31 July 2020 - 12:29 PM

I've done some testing to replace the READLNs actions with sub-components. Unfortunately, this resulted in a plethora of new components that would have made the installation much more complex. I have a project under way to group the components by group: installing the core data (component series 200 to 209), patching objects and spells, that might simplify the process. I know that changing options in an external ini file may seem complicated for some players, but it's the only easy way to simplify the installation which becomes transparent to the player once he.she has read the readme.

Well, you have already defined one of those options as default, so the other can be a component that edits the files to the non default one. And the further components just need a one if clause that checkes if the non default component was installed.

Or if you would rather then use the other as the default if it requires less editing of the primary code.

Edited by The Imp, 31 July 2020 - 09:43 PM.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#8 skellytz

skellytz
  • Staff
  • 474 posts

Posted 31 July 2020 - 05:48 PM

There are over 1800 creatures in BG2 using color entries above 200, so messing around with RANDCOLR.2da to set the desired color value for the player character will result in some creatures losing their proper random colors.

For now, I'd recommend removing the extra colors from the character customization until somebody skilled enough can trace the specific exe offsets representing the color options in the customization screens and replace any colors above 200 with something sensible from the non-random range. This basically means going back to 1ppv3. The extended palette will work normally (the colors will show up on items, creatures, in the dialog box etc.), except the player won't be able to pick the extra colors in the character customization.

The code responsible for adding the extra colors to the customization screens starts at line 301 of 103_extpal.tph and ends at line 1079. It could be commented out by default for the time being. No worries: this part of the code is not to be confused with the exe patch fixing the hardcoded dialog box colors (that one starts at line 60).

#9 Gwendolyne

Gwendolyne
  • Administrator
  • 1016 posts

Posted 31 July 2020 - 10:10 PM

Added male elves wrings installation into master branch.

As for requiring component #101, after checking the code, I fear that the wings paperdolls only work with the updated elves paperdolls installed by component 101. But not tested wings with vanilla paperdolls.

@skellitz, yes, it might be the less bad solution before finding a fix. Will be waiting for other comments before commenting out the code in library.

Edited by Gwendolyne, 31 July 2020 - 10:50 PM.

CARPE DIEM ....

#10 skellytz

skellytz
  • Staff
  • 474 posts

Posted 01 August 2020 - 03:48 AM

Actually, hold it  :P Fresh in the morning and I've traced the offsets. I'll have to map out all the colors in the customization screens, then patch in new colors. Give me some time; maybe I can fix that after all.

#11 skellytz

skellytz
  • Staff
  • 474 posts

Posted 01 August 2020 - 10:30 AM

OK, done! Pull request opened. Now all hair, skin, major/minor colors you pick in the character customization will stick on game load (ie, the colors aren't from the random range anymore).

#12 Gwendolyne

Gwendolyne
  • Administrator
  • 1016 posts

Posted 01 August 2020 - 01:30 PM

Huge thanks! :cheers:

Merged into master branch.

CARPE DIEM ....

#13 Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus

Drama Queen

• 132 posts

Posted 03 August 2020 - 05:31 AM

Some comments:

• Core v2 component: Cool, seems like you've added virtually all of my fixes and changes from my 1pp_fixes, with the exceptions of Roranach's Horn, Short Bow +3, and Mithral Field Plate. That's like...17/20, I can live with that.
  • Projectiles: Fixed the bolt06 and bolt09 bugs, IR compatibility for throwing axes and dagger, plus an attempt at fixing SR's & IR's Protection from Missiles/Physical Mirror stuff (the last one will prove problematic for me, but I can fix it after the fact). There's no patching of SR's dvenbolt, dvenarow, or dvenbull - they're all duplicates of the +3 projectiles.
  • Spell Tweaks: Looks like you got everything, although with a radical rewrite of how I did it. Probably for the best.

Core v4 component:

• Optional Sleeper conversion, you left Deflection Shield as a tower shield because I suppose it is as well in BG2EE, left HELM13 as its unspiked appearance and left HELM15 as its unhorned appearance (presumably validating EE changes)...all understandable.
  • No support for IR's variants of throwing axes/daggers in this one - may want to add that, especially since you already did in the projectiles component. Also, IR hammer variants compatibility as well.
  • You are still letting 1pp patch dagg21 and dagg22 (Dagger of the Stars) for the Shadow Thief icon that you have disabled it from installing - the colors will be wrong as a result.
  • Borok's Fist/Runehammer: BG2EE is really weird about this, it has HAMM03, HAMM05, HAMM10, and HAMM11 all set to that green-looking hammer icon (though HAMM03 is using the original variant instead of the rest where the contrast was just jacked up to make it look different). What are they doing? Still not an ideal situation here even with the switch (there are other icons that can be used to prevent these duplicates!), but I suppose it makes sense if you're just trying to validate according to the EEs.
  • xbow15/16 (Firetooth +4/+5) should get location wpink set (IMO, with gradient 19), otherwise it would appear the Firetooths are shooting blue bolts on the character paperdoll, which seems like a clear oversight.
  • No support for BGT's bgmisc89 (Edwin's Amulet).
  • I think Rashad's Talon and Belm have opposite colorizations, if I'm recalling correctly.
  • Seems like you got most of my other fixes besides a few other minor and highly debatable things. Cool - thanks for the big rewrite!

A couple of suggestions:

• Additional linebreaks in between options in the config.ini. It's confusing to read the description and then try to figure out whether the option was above or below the description, especially when some of the settings have very similar names - just put an additional empty linebreak in between each option.
  • Set gem lore to disabled by default. Placed into an automated install, mass amounts of gems needing to be identified is virtually guaranteed to annoy most people that get stuck with it not realizing it was the default setting (and it wasn't the default in the original installer, not even if you selected the "let the installer auto-configure everything" option).

Edited by Bartimaeus, 03 August 2020 - 06:10 AM.

#14 Gwendolyne

Gwendolyne
  • Administrator
  • 1016 posts

Posted 05 August 2020 - 03:55 AM

First, some general notes about this update. As soon as 1pp was released, I modified the installation procedure to 1) fix bugs 2) not install some modifications that didn't seem relevant to me 3) modify others accordingly to my own tastes. As WeiDU was updated, I modified the code to make it more efficient.

I never published these modifications because they were intended for my own personal use. It was only after the EE games release that the idea of officially updating 1pp was born. Once the decision was made, the work undertaken respected the following principles:

• Rewrite the code to make it more efficient.
  • Respect Erephine's spirit.
  • Do not modify the content with "personal" designs.
  • Stay as close as EE games for compatibility purpose.

That's the reason why I didn't take up some proposals from players who violated these rules. But of course, they are free to modify the code for their personal use. ;)

On the other hand, I wanted to keep the spirit of the mod which looks more like a Fixpack than a common mod (a bit like Infinity Animations) and should be installed as soon as possible. Modders should adapt their mod to the presence of 1pp, and not the contrary! This document explains how to do it

In a perfect world, SR and IR should really be installed after 1ppv4 and not installing it. I found very painful to add compatibility with two mods that are still in beta versions and don't respect the usual mods install order... So I wrote partial compatibility with them.

• Core v2 component: Cool, seems like you've added virtually all of my fixes and changes from my 1pp_fixes, with the exceptions of Roranach's Horn, Short Bow +3, and Mithral Field Plate. That's like...17/20, I can live with that.

Correct. Most of them were obvious. The others don't respect the above rules. ;)

Projectiles:There's no patching of SR's dvenbolt, dvenarow, or dvenbull - they're all duplicates of the +3 projectiles.

Yes, I made the decision to fix all protection/bounce 1pp new projectiles and let other mods to deal with their own projectiles.

you left Deflection Shield as a tower shield because I suppose it is as well in BG2EE, left HELM13 as its unspiked appearance and left HELM15 as its unhorned appearance (presumably validating EE changes)...all understandable.

Yes. I did not find a solution that pleased me. So I stuck to EE choice...

No support for IR's variants of throwing axes/daggers in this one - may want to add that, especially since you already did in the projectiles component. Also, IR hammer variants compatibility as well.

Good catch! Please give me their code and I will add them.

You are still letting 1pp patch dagg21 and dagg22 (Dagger of the Stars) for the Shadow Thief icon that you have disabled it from installing - the colors will be wrong as a result.

Another good catch. There are so many lines of code I missed it when proofreading...

Borok's Fist/Runehammer: BG2EE is really weird about this, it has HAMM03, HAMM05, HAMM10, and HAMM11 all set to that green-looking hammer icon (though HAMM03 is using the original variant instead of the rest where the contrast was just jacked up to make it look different). What are they doing? Still not an ideal situation here even with the switch (there are other icons that can be used to prevent these duplicates!), but I suppose it makes sense if you're just trying to validate according to the EEs.

I know this part is very confusing. That's the reason why I decided not to install it and keep the Runehammers as in orignal games by default. If players want the new icon and colors, they will have to set 1pp_hammers_icons setting to 1 in config file.

xbow15/16 (Firetooth +4/+5) should get location wpink set (IMO, with gradient 19), otherwise it would appear the Firetooths are shooting blue bolts on the character paperdoll, which seems like a clear oversight.

Good idea. Will give it a try.

No support for BGT's bgmisc89 (Edwin's Amulet).

I guess you missed it. :shifty:

I think Rashad's Talon and Belm have opposite colorizations, if I'm recalling correctly.

Must check them.

A couple of suggestions:
  • Additional linebreaks in between options in the config.ini. It's confusing to read the description and then try to figure out whether the option was above or below the description, especially when some of the settings have very similar names - just put an additional empty linebreak in between each option.
  • Set gem lore to disabled by default. Placed into an automated install, mass amounts of gems needing to be identified is virtually guaranteed to annoy most people that get stuck with it not realizing it was the default setting (and it wasn't the default in the original installer, not even if you selected the "let the installer auto-configure everything" option).

1. No problem, if it improves readibility, it is welcome.
2. Why not. tbh, I never installed this part...

Edited by Gwendolyne, 06 August 2020 - 08:14 AM.

CARPE DIEM ....

#15 Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus

Drama Queen

• 132 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 07:17 AM

IR / SR vs. 1pp: Yeah, to be honest, this is the exact same thing I was contemplating. I'm very thankful I already have 99% of the work done for this with IRR and SRR due to having to do mass patches for EE games that wouldn't have 1pp installed - I'll just tell people to start installing them after 1pp is installed and then I'll enable the same EE patches for non-EE games. And in fact, the original IR doesn't have the main v4 component installed after IR anyways, so just forget about the compatibility stuff for that component - the projectiles component should be enough on that front (and really, even that shouldn't be necessary - if not for the fact that IR is built on 1ppv3, which is quite frankly not 1ppv4's problem).

"2) not install some modifications that didn't seem relevant to me": I'm guessing you didn't much care for the weird, ridiculous, and useless sword that was added to the Planar Sphere either, then? :P

Edited by Bartimaeus, 06 August 2020 - 07:19 AM.

#16 Gwendolyne

Gwendolyne
  • Administrator
  • 1016 posts

Posted 07 August 2020 - 04:30 AM

Core v4 component:
  • No support for IR's variants of throwing axes/daggers in this one - may want to add that, especially since you already did in the projectiles component. Also, IR hammer variants compatibility as well.
  • You are still letting 1pp patch dagg21 and dagg22 (Dagger of the Stars) for the Shadow Thief icon that you have disabled it from installing - the colors will be wrong as a result.

Done in master branch! I also included support for throwing hammers.

"2) not install some modifications that didn't seem relevant to me": I'm guessing you didn't much care for the weird, ridiculous, and useless sword that was added to the Planar Sphere either, then? :P

This is the whole difficulty of juggling between "not install some modifications that didn't seem relevant to me" and "Do not modify the content with "personal" designs". In this particular case, I wanted to keep Erephine's content, but with the idea of adding a configuration option (with a "No Install" default value) in next update when players have become accustomed to fine-tune their installation. ;)

As for xbow15 and 16, after testing them in game, the bolt fired looks like a fire bolt in my installation. So I guess there is no need to modify it.

Edited by Gwendolyne, 11 August 2020 - 12:50 PM.

CARPE DIEM ....

#17 Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus

Drama Queen

• 132 posts

Posted 07 August 2020 - 01:21 PM

Core v4 component:

Done in master branch! I also included support for throwing hammers.

This is the whole difficulty of juggling between "not install some modifications that didn't seem relevant to me" and "Do not modify the content with "personal" designs". In this particular case, I wanted to keep Erephine's content, but with the idea of adding a configuration option (with a "No Install" default value) in next update when players have become accustomed to fine-tune their installation. ;)

As for xbow15 and 15, after testing them in game, the bolt fired looks like a fire bolt in my installation. So I guess there is no need to modify it.

Makes sense, :).

The bolt fired looks like fine (that's the projectile used), but the bolt on the actual paperdoll does not. Although I was incorrect about it being blue - it's just whatever major color the player is set to.

https://dl.dropboxus..._2TfUUR1FFA.png

Normally, the color is set on the boltxx.itm itself, but because Firetooth fires its own (and is the only crossbow that does), it should be set on xbow15/16.itm as well.

#18 Gwendolyne

Gwendolyne
  • Administrator
  • 1016 posts

Posted 07 August 2020 - 07:48 PM

The bolt fired looks like fine (that's the projectile used), but the bolt on the actual paperdoll does not. Although I was incorrect about it being blue - it's just whatever major color the player is set to.

https://dl.dropboxus..._2TfUUR1FFA.png

Normally, the color is set on the boltxx.itm itself, but because Firetooth fires its own (and is the only crossbow that does), it should be set on xbow15/16.itm as well.

I see. I was focused on sprites... :whistling:

In fact, by default, the bolt color is the main character color.

xbow15.jpg

I guess this one is better:

xbow15new.jpg

Edited by Gwendolyne, 07 August 2020 - 11:06 PM.

CARPE DIEM ....

#19 Gwendolyne

Gwendolyne
  • Administrator
  • 1016 posts

Posted 11 August 2020 - 04:04 AM

No feedback? I take those modifications for granted. ;)

Last thing: there are many unused files in 1pp sub-folders I guess it's due to the way v4.1.0 gathers all v3 sub mods. I checked thousands lines of code and did not find anything installing the following subfolders files;

• additions/obj_anim : D1, D2 and D3 sub-folders
  • additions/solars/superglowy/ maslg1bw, maslg1s1, maslg2bw and maslg2s1 bam files.
  • core/obj/act
  • core/1pp_iwd, core/1pp_iwd_thieves and core/1pp_thieves_galore/files/inv

I wonder if I keep ttem or not in the package. Any advice?

Edited by Gwendolyne, 11 August 2020 - 12:48 PM.

CARPE DIEM ....

#20 Sam.

Sam.
  • Administrator
  • 1292 posts

Posted 11 August 2020 - 12:27 PM

No feedback? I take those modifications for granted. ;)

Last thing: there are many unused files in 1pp sub-folders I guess kit's due to the way v4.1.0 gathers all v3 sub mods. I checked thousands lines of code and did not find anything installing the following subfolders files;

• additions/obj_anim : D1, D2 and D3 sub-folders
  • additions/solars/superglowy/ maslg1bw, maslg1s1, maslg2bw and maslg2s1 bam files.
  • core/obj/act
  • core/1pp_iwd, core/1pp_iwd_thieves and core/1pp_thieves_galore/files/inv

I wonder if I keep ttem or not in the package. Any advice?

A bunch of these seem to have disappeared or been moved between the last release and the most recent commit, so I just looked at the release.  "core/obj/act" you mean "core\obj\alt"?  I couldn't find "core/1pp_iwd" or "core/1pp_iwd_thieves" at all.  With that being said, I checked to see if any of these unused files (the ones I could find) were found anywhere else in the mod under a different name.  Surprisingly, none of them were.  This indicates that they are unique, but does not necessarily indicate that they are immediately useful.  Next I checked to see if the file names in question were duplicated elsewhere in the mod.  There is a long list.  Compare <.\1pp\additions\obj_anim\d3\wqsd3ss.bam> vs <.\1pp\additions\obj_bl\wqsd3ss.bam> for example.  They are noticeably different but obviously intended to be the same animation.  How does each compare to the original?  Is one an earlier version and the other a later edit?  Which is better?  You'd have to compare them side by side and maybe also try to trace them back through all the versions of 1pp, but that's no simple or quick task.  I can provide the lists, but don't really have time to do all that myself.

"Ok, I've just about had my FILL of riddle asking, quest assigning, insult throwing, pun hurling, hostage taking, iron mongering, smart-arsed fools, freaks, and felons that continually test my will, mettle, strength, intelligence, and most of all, patience! If you've got a straight answer ANYWHERE in that bent little head of yours, I want to hear it pretty damn quick or I'm going to take a large blunt object roughly the size of Elminster AND his hat, and stuff it lengthwise into a crevice of your being so seldom seen that even the denizens of the nine hells themselves wouldn't touch it with a twenty-foot rusty halberd! Have I MADE myself perfectly CLEAR?!"

--<CHARNAME> to Portalbendarwinden

--------------------

post-10485-0-15080600-1348188745.jpg
___________Old pen and paper modules of the 70s and 80s.___________

CA Forums CA Homepage