Chloe's banters with Yoshimo.

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 14 April 2004 - 02:16 AM

So Chloe babbles on about how being a famous thief is bad form, and brings around more enemies, Yoshi is all like "Why won't you like me" and stuff... not particularly memorable, except...

Yoshi isn't a thief. (reminds himself of 3d edition rogues) - as in, he doesn't do the whole "rob/steal from people" thing. He's a bounty hunter - he brings people to lawful (or not quite) authorities. He probably makes enemies, but not amongst the officials...So these banters are incredibly stupid.

If anything, if Chloe dislikes thieves, she should be annoyed by Jan and Immy... they don't do the whole "Breaking and entering" thing (unless they're working for the PC), but they're pretty famous as swindlers.

#2 Dashael

Dashael

The Quiet One

• 84 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 02:33 AM

Yoshimo's conversations with Renal Bloodscalp suggested to me that Yoshimo had been dabbling in non-bounty related rogue activities since he came to town as well. I doubt renal would have had issues with Yoshimo working in his territory if it was just bounty hunting.

#3 JPS

JPS

Knight of the Living Dead

• 205 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 03:05 AM

I think the banters are suitable for Yoshimo as he is presented in the game, and I really don't see why the kit description would be more important than that (or important at all).
"They have no thought of safety, subtlety, or strategy, leaving others with no hope of stopping their mass assault."

Visit the Gibberlings Three!

#4 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 14 April 2004 - 03:15 AM

Well... while I realize that there's no point to arguing about what people think about what Yoshi does (especially seeing how we never learn anything about Yoshimo's work experience... which makes the whole "You're a famous thief" thing even dumber)...

We must remember that it's "Yoshimo, feared by all", not "Yoshimo, safe filcher extraordinaire"...

And if you think as thiev'es guild leader won't have a problem with a fellow grabbing shady operators (that might be working with the guild) of the street...

#5 Kish

Kish
  • 1265 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 10:26 AM

Have a problem with them? Sure. Specify that that problem is because they're "free-lancers"? No. Chloe objects to Yoshimo because he flaunts his reputation as a thief, which she considers a stupid way to stay alive.
Posted Image

http://www.moveon.org/fox/
"You are what you do. Choose again, and change."
--Cordelia Naismith Vorkosigan

#6 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 14 April 2004 - 10:48 AM

Chloe objects to Yoshimo because he flaunts his reputation as a thief,

Except that he isn't, which we just established. Were you paying attention?

#7 JPS

JPS

Knight of the Living Dead

• 205 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 11:03 AM

Except that he isn't, which we just established. Were you paying attention?

Well, you established it. There's a difference.

We don't know anything about what Yoshimo did in Athkatla before he was "hired" by Irenicus. And after that, when he's working with the party, he does exactly what the player tells him to do (usually disarming traps and opening locks, which might not be "thieving", but it certainly isn't "bounty hunting" either).

The only thing that tells us that he is a bounty hunter and not just any kind of thief is his character record, which Chloe obviously hasn't read, so all she has to work with is what he does and what he says, and from that she draws the conclusion that he's a bragging thief, which she thinks is stupid and potentially dangerous. I don't see the problem, really.
"They have no thought of safety, subtlety, or strategy, leaving others with no hope of stopping their mass assault."

Visit the Gibberlings Three!

#8 Kish

Kish
  • 1265 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 11:33 AM

Except that he isn't, which we just established.

Established? You appear to be unclear on the meaning of that word. Asserting something untrue is not establishing it; it is quite clear from Yoshimo's dialogue with Renal, if nothing else, that Yoshimo is a thief.
Posted Image

http://www.moveon.org/fox/
"You are what you do. Choose again, and change."
--Cordelia Naismith Vorkosigan

#9 jester

jester

biased bystander

• 1476 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 11:39 AM

I get the impression that this is , for guest, not so much about thieves in general and Yoshi in particular, but about Chloe.
"It's 106 miles to Arroyo, we got a full fusion cell, half a pack of RadAway, it's midnight, and I'm wearing a 50-year old Vault 13 Jumpsuit. Let's hit it!" -The Chosen One

Free your mind

#10 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 14 April 2004 - 11:47 AM

Kish -Hmm... do quote, if you feel like it. What I remember, is an argument about breach of conduct, and the need to compensate.

JPS - Give me an example of Yoshi bragging about stealing something. Not about being very good at picking a lock, sneaking through the house, getting his man and getting out... but about being a good "Thief".

"And after that, when he's working with the party, he does exactly what the player tells him to do (usually disarming traps and opening locks, which might not be "thieving", but it certainly isn't "bounty hunting" either). "

From which we may imply that whatever his banters and character record conspire to tell us, Keldorn is actually really into slaying commoners with his Casrsomyr...

And yes - it is established that Yoshi is a bounty hunter, not a thief. It is established that if and when he boasts, he boasts about being a successful and capable hunter, whose name strikes fear into the heart of criminals.

Until someone gives some solid evidence to the contrary, this remains a fact.

#11 jester

jester

biased bystander

• 1476 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 11:54 AM

JPS - Give me an example of Yoshi bragging about stealing something. Not about being very good at picking a lock, sneaking through the house, getting his man and getting out... but about being a good "Thief".

"And after that, when he's working with the party, he does exactly what the player tells him to do (usually disarming traps and opening locks, which might not be "thieving", but it certainly isn't "bounty hunting" either). "

Sorry for getting you wrong the first time. I can clearly see now that Yoshi is using his cleric abilities to sneak through a house unseen, picking locks and setting traps.

If you attract enough attention just by entering a place ('Wow, THE bountyhunter Yoshi graced us with his presence'), I think anybody with a reason to might be heading for the backdoor. Any hunter will tell you that getting attention is not very high on their list, especially not the one of their prey.
"It's 106 miles to Arroyo, we got a full fusion cell, half a pack of RadAway, it's midnight, and I'm wearing a 50-year old Vault 13 Jumpsuit. Let's hit it!" -The Chosen One

Free your mind

#12 CamDawg

CamDawg

ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD

• Modder
  • 1505 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 11:55 AM

You've never had the banter where he offers to teach Nalia how to disarm traps, then?

Why is this Hypnotoad video so popu... ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD.
____
The Gibberlings Three - Home of IE Mods

The BG2 Fixpack - All the fixes of Baldurdash, plus a few hundred more. Now available, with more fixes being added in every release.

#13 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 14 April 2004 - 12:06 PM

Jester - ok, is it so hard to seperate "Thief" the class from "Thief", the guy that steals stuff?

And why did you add the part that told me that bounty hunters need to be sneaky? No seriously, I really would like to know what made you feel I needed to learn that.

Camdawg - Nope. Don't think I ever had Nalia in the party.

What's the banter about?

#14 CamDawg

CamDawg

• Modder
  • 1505 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 12:07 PM

He offers to teach Nalia how to disarm traps.

____

The BG2 Fixpack - All the fixes of Baldurdash, plus a few hundred more. Now available, with more fixes being added in every release.

#15 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 14 April 2004 - 12:15 PM

And?

How exactly does that make him a thief (the stealing type, not the class type... <_< )

#16 jester

jester

biased bystander

• 1476 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 12:19 PM

Jester - ok, is it so hard to seperate "Thief" the class from "Thief", the guy that steals stuff?

And why did you add the part that told me that bounty hunters need to be sneaky? No seriously, I really would like to know what made you feel I needed to learn that.

Sorry, mate. I just had a lousy approach to tell you what I meant, perhaps. A Thief is someone who does something society does not agree with. Fraud, Pickpocketing and theft are prob not regarded as hard as assassinating someone and it is a game glitch that your paladin can take anything he finds in any place without taking a virtue hit, but they all remain in the thief portfolio. I just wanted to remind you of the possibility that someone might question the assumption of the difference between Thief-Thiefs and other Thiefs. I hope we do not disagree too much about the (bounty-)hunter bit.

Free your mind

#17 CamDawg

CamDawg

• Modder
  • 1505 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 12:20 PM

If you don't see a connection between trap disarmament and stealing, then it doesn't.

____

#18 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 14 April 2004 - 12:25 PM

While I get what you mean... no I don't.

I can see the connection between pick-pocket and stealing (what's Yoshimo's pp score, anyway?) but disarming traps simply gets you in and out of places... something Yoshi needs.

#19 jester

jester

biased bystander

• 1476 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 12:31 PM

Yoshi's setting traps skill sux when you meet him. This would rather establish the fact that he is not a very good BH.

You even disagree with the hunter argument from above??? I am stunned. :(

Free your mind

#20 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 14 April 2004 - 12:36 PM

Hunter argument?

The one about a hunter needing to stay silent?

Where did I disagree with that?

Anyways, Yoshi has fairly decent Hide in the shadows/move silently skills...