Photo

Orphan Characters

• Please log in to reply
337 replies to this topic

#241 Philiposophy

Philiposophy
  • 155 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 03:28 PM

How about some kind of mercenary? I was wondering what it would be like to have someone in your party that has no real interest in the protagonist's story, nor needs any real convincing in dialogue as others do. I guess it would be different, so long as no one has suggested this sort of thing before, because you'd need to pay him (travelling on a quest with no clear end would have to have a salary of some sort - a smallish amount of money per week?).

As for the stats, I'd guess he'd have high strength and constitution, with average wisdom and dexterity, weak charisma (he's a merc, he doesn't need to attract anyone like that) and a decent intelligence (he's brawny but he's not thick, he should be able to handle his economics and have sufficient knowledge of how to do his work).

I suppose he'd be the sort that is loyal, because he's doing a job, yet other characters may not always be totally receptive of them - suspicious, critical of their motives etc

Not really given it too much thought but just throwing it out there.

#242 Azkyroth

Azkyroth
  • Modder
  • 3496 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 03:00 PM

How about some kind of mercenary? I was wondering what it would be like to have someone in your party that has no real interest in the protagonist's story, nor needs any real convincing in dialogue as others do. I guess it would be different, so long as no one has suggested this sort of thing before, because you'd need to pay him (travelling on a quest with no clear end would have to have a salary of some sort - a smallish amount of money per week?).

As for the stats, I'd guess he'd have high strength and constitution, with average wisdom and dexterity, weak charisma (he's a merc, he doesn't need to attract anyone like that) and a decent intelligence (he's brawny but he's not thick, he should be able to handle his economics and have sufficient knowledge of how to do his work).

I suppose he'd be the sort that is loyal, because he's doing a job, yet other characters may not always be totally receptive of them - suspicious, critical of their motives etc

Not really given it too much thought but just throwing it out there.

Something like this has actually been suggested. I don't remember what the issues were, but I don't recall the general response being positive.

"Tyranny is a quiet thing at first, a prim and proper lady pursing her lips and shaking her head disapprovingly, asking, well what were you doing (wearing that dress, walking home at that hour, expressing those inappropriate thoughts) anyway? It's subtle and insidious, disguised as reasonable precautions which become more and more oppressive over time, until our lives are defined by the things we must avoid. She's easy enough to agree with, after all, she's only trying to help -- and yet she's one of the most dangerous influences we face, because if she prevails, it puts the raping, robbing, axe-wielding madmen of the world in complete control. Eventually they'll barely need to wield a thing, all they'll have to do is leer menacingly and we fall all over ourselves trying to placate them." -godlizard

#243 bifflechips

bifflechips
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 05:31 PM

*Beelu ?Stonehand? Cobblenock
-Race: Svirfneblin/Deep Gnome
-Sex: Male
-Class: Ranger (Stalker)
-Alignment: Lawful Neutral (not allowed, I know, but whatever)
-Str:13 Dex:19 Con:13 Int:13 Wis:15 Cha:8
-Weapon Proficiencies: Dual-wielding daggers, maces
-Biography: When asked about his past, BEELU eyes you warily, as if trying to discern some hidden motive outside of curiosity. He states that he left the Underdark long ago, though it is obvious he misses the beauty of that sunless realm. He appeared on the surface world at the beginning of the century, and states that he spent his early years on the surface north of the Spine of the World mountains, within the Ten Towns of Icewind Dale. If the tales can be believed, he was at the center of a grand adventure from that time, though it sounds a little hard to believe. He has since made his living over the years at numerous careers suited to his skills as miner, blacksmith, gem cutter, underground scout, and wine distiller. He has maintained a small business empire through his many years on the surface, and believes that traveling with you will help expand further business opportunities, namely treasure selling.

Basically, and if you picked up on this, he would have been an NPC that was involved in IWD II. He has made his living since at a variety of careers since, traveling up and down the Sword Coast and as far east as Aglarond. Though he has seen much in his travels in the last 80 years on the surface, he still has much to learn, and like most of the deep gnomes, is suspicious of strangers.

One of my main ideas with this character was to have him romance Mazzy Fentan, and I selected this for a few reasons. Firstly, it seems as if the Mazzy romance has come to a halt, sadly, and it was one of the projects I was most looking forward to. And second, as far as vanilla BG NPCs go, she always seemed a little lacking, and I always wondered what out made this brave halfling become a knight. Essentially, this would really be a Beelu-Mazzy mod, and depending on the sex of the PC, might depend on who talks more to the PC. A female PC might have more conversations about the romance with Mazzy, while Beelu would talk with a male PC more, and perhaps some advice being given by the PC could lead the romance in different directions. A big part of Mazzy's side of the romance is overcoming Patrick's death, and the romance wouldn't really culminate until the last love talk when they finally sleep together(much similar to Jaheira's, if I recall)

His general personality I had listed as being wary of strangers, especially those known to be untrustworthy(drow, duergar, tiefling, etc.), but a loyal friend if the PC earns his trust. As stated in his biography, he wants to use his adventuring in order to open up one of his shops in Athkatla, what with the lull in his other businesses. He enjoys the natural world in all its forms, and appears as a wide-eyed child when admiring it. Otherwise, he comes off as a little indifferent, quiet, and even a little pessimistic(but not Xan!).

Anyways, as far as other NPCs are concerned:

Viconia - Fairly obvious. They will not get along, but they're not about to kill each other over their arguing; I'd prefer to think that both are above that. But expect a lot of arguing. Perhaps in a ToB release, if Viconia is romancing the PC, things might change...

Mazzy - romance related, and explained above.

Cernd - As they both are fond of the natural world, that is where most of their conversations would reside, perhaps even having a dialogue where they try to one up the other on the nature analogy.

Korgan - Beelu will respect Korgan as a warrior-in-arms, even if their base alignments would suggest them to be rather opposed, though Korgan will not think much on him.

Edwin - Similar to how he treats Mazzy, Edwin will think little of him by virtue of being "one of the servant races."

Jaheira - Discussions on the balance and the Harpers. Fairly neutral, though.

Anomen - Similar to how he treats Mazzy, Anomen doesn't quite think much of him.

Jan - Slightly amused, if baffled by Jan and his stories, who he frequently refers to as his "surface cousin." Jan thinks he should cheer up more.

Haer'Dalis - Wary of Haer'Dalis, which he is a little taken aback by it, but is not really offended. Beelu eventually warms up to him just fine, and they discuss fine wines and gems.

Minsc - Rather enjoys Minsc and Boo(who wouldn't!), and wants to speak with him about Rashemen and Boo, as he has never seen it.

Aerie - Will take to being a bit of a father figure to Aerie, giving her advice on how to cope with the earth as well as combat advice.

Didn't really think much about how other NPCs like Keldorn, Imoen, Nalia, Yoshimo, and Valygar would get along with him, yet. This idea came about while using a Svirfnebling ranger in IWD2 awhile ago, who by the way is insanely awesome in my party, and after getting a little bored of drow NPCs, thought about what an NPC that was also from the Underdark but with a far different dynamic would be like. But how does that sound?

#244 Tieflingz

Tieflingz

SS Promotionist

• 100 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 06:41 PM

After reading 20 pages of comments and character brainstorms, I've finally decided to bring up the courage to post

So here are my imaginations, I think romance could be done, but I just wanted a NPC thief that can "backstab And battle", true class or kitted thieves only have 1 attack per round no matter what (Unless using Short Bow or Throwing Dagger)... that's too much limitations after backstabbing, so yea... (Many might mention Valygar, but x3 max? Comon, x7 at level 20+ is much more fun! Besides, Valygar's a goodie-two-shoes!)

Name: Lanneris (Lanneric, or any name that fits better) Chinese: 蘭尼斯/蘭尼克(For translation purpose, if any...)
Race: Human (Dark hair, dark eyes, tanned skin)
Alignment: Lawful Evil (NE could work, but I want the Lawful part to match with the contract part)
Class: Level 3 Fighter Dual Assassin (To be explained)

Characteristics: Think of... IWD II NPC Project Rizdaer + Fallout III Charon + Emotionless (Or more like a dulled emotion guy, never know what a woman want until the switch is flipped). (Master/Slave relationship, Contract relationship, perhaps romance in between? dunno)

Biography:
As you tried to inquire LANNERIS of his past, if anything excited, the young, emotionless assassin gave no thought and quickly replied that the only thing you need to know would be the contract that you hold on him. "Besides, there's nothing else to tell, for I have none to say."

(I don't want him to be a cool guy, a tragic-past person, or have a unique personality like most other characters are, rather a 'blank one' that is about to be filled upon joining PC and his/her Bhaalspawn saga)

Background Story (Not for character knowledge, just player knowledge):
Lanneris was an orphan (An orphan here, too!), adopted by the Shadow Thieves in Amn just as many other orphans had been to do the bidding and toiling of the Shadow Thieves in return of a warm shelter and meals. Few stronger and tougher ones are kept to be specially trained as Assassins.

These young ones are trained to become the master of their tools at an early age (Level 3 Fighter), and eventually learn the ways of stealth and killing with anything in hand, especially poison (Assassin).

Lanneris never had the time to develop emotions and never had the space to develop personal belief. Rather, he is brainwashed to be loyal to the person who holds his contract (Not silly ones like go jump in the river and he'll do it, but rather using his life to protect or get the job done)

And now, given the chance, the PC held onto the contract of this young assassin, what will the PC make out of this blank piece of tool?

3 endings for this young assassin (ToB):
1. Became Chaotic Evil and a Serial Killer
2. Became True Neutral and an Adventurer (Not kit)
3. Staying the way as he is and returned to Amn

Of course... I seriously doubt someone would actually take the character, I mean.. He has more paths than Sarevok (CE or CG)! Along with Romance (If), that means 6 endings for players to play 6 times to see all.....

Here are the rest of the character sheet:
Don't want the stats to be strickly set, but a basic outline
Str: 16-18/12%
Dex: 17-18
Con: 15-16
Int: 13-16
Wis: 7-11
Cha: 8-12

Weapon Proficiency:
Dagger: +++++ (From Fighter)
Sword and Shield Style: ++
Short Sword and Two (Or Single) Weapon Fighting Style (It can take up to 30 levels to max two of these, so afterwards? Longsword? Axe? Whatever the player wants)

Special Equipment:
Lanneris' Buckler +2: No Missile/Pierce Protection, prevents confusion, feeblemind, charm, and such. (Not giving invisibility, or it's too OP)

3 Invisible/Haste potions, 40 poison throwing daggers, leather armor, dagger, short sword

And maybe a script that keeps his avatar a hooded thief from switching to fighter (Since the avatar morphing script always switch his avatar to fighter..), but that might cause an infinite loop between the mod and script and eventually crash BGII, so not sure on that.

My PC one is a lvl9 Fighter Dual Assassin with 17 str, 18 dex, 16 con, but consider that to be really OP (?) so revised it to lvl3 fighter and lowered str and con.

Edited by Tieflingz, 05 December 2009 - 08:47 AM.

I am: Human-Essentric (Halflings/Gnomes/Dwarves/Tieflings are favored)
Fetish: Backstab Ability (That includes Blackguards!)
Alignment: Mainly Any Evil and, to some extent, Chaotic Neutral
Nemesis:
Aasimar (Unless s/he's evil like Belueth the Calm)
Elf (I just don't like those pointy ears)
Paladin (You could guess why)
Weapon of Choice:
Short Sword/Thrown Daggers + Buckler

#245 vilkacis

vilkacis

Rashemen REPRESENT! Word to yo hamsta!

• Modder
  • 1571 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 10:53 PM

Pretty sure "that assassin" is Arkanis Gath. Also, it doesn't make sense for Aran to send away one of his best men just like that, nor does it make sense if Renal gets to boss around his superior's personal über-assassin.

Just make an original assassin character instead, would be my suggestion.

#246 Tieflingz

Tieflingz

SS Promotionist

• 100 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 08:45 AM

My memory fails me of tabbing and reading the assassin's name.

Original it is!
Nemesis:
Weapon of Choice:

#247 Tieflingz

Tieflingz

SS Promotionist

• 100 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 08:05 AM

Paladin Portrait

This, my friends, is an amazing find on deviantart (For me, at least). I believe...

This is a cover image for an as of yet not announced series of books Goodman Games plan to begin releasing later this year. Joseph Goodman was kind enough to let me get the images up on my page now, so a huge thanks to him.

Edit: In reply to Vilkacis,
I shall edit this post and make it into a character, apologies if I got overheated in my head and did some posting without thinking first hand!

Race: Lizardman (Could use half-orc in creation process)
Gender: Male, or female..? I heard lizards are uhh... I don't know what it's called in English, bi-sexual? uhh..... whatever, they lay eggs and are not mammals.

Portrait: I believe photoshopping it (If allowed) into red/purple/dark glowing halo, eyes, and such can be done, not easily, but possible.

Avatar: Human Male Fighter (Pale Green Skin, the Inventory Avatar can have some imported override with edited lizard head, of course, if anyone is taking this NPC into a project I could do it for this NPC... I hope)

Class: Blackguard, custom, not from Sword and Fist of G3 (The portrait was supposed to be a Paladin, but honestly, Blackguard is so much cooler and more awesome, no policing nor good-doing!)

Alignment: Lawful Evil (Chaotic Evil would be more fitting I suppose, with the deity and such? But I think it'll just get him killed on sight and that defeats the point of making him NPC.. Besides, Blackguard just sounds Lawful and Evil for some reason... Black.... Guard.... yeah....)

Deity: Sess'innek

Stats: I'll need to look into the stats for lizardmen, the following list is my guess right this moment. (BGII IWD Near Infinity browsing time!)
Str: 19/Dex: 14/Con: 17/Int: 10/Wis: 14/Cha: 10

Biography: Uhh... tough one.. Plotting some themes against humankind so he joined PC? (Now that it has come to this I think Paladin would be much easier now..)

Romancable?: Hell no. It wouldn't make sense and it sickens me to even think on the possibility of crossbreeding.

Weapon Proficiency: Halberd, Crossbow

Weapon Style: Two-Handed

Characteristics:
His words are with heavy accent due to the long, forked tongue and round, hard jaws. An intense stare through his glowing eyes can give you the shivers of fear and suppression. He likes to consume bugs, we could guess that from his heritage...

Side note: just a rough one, I'll gather some more details, now that it's a character.

Edited by Tieflingz, 19 December 2009 - 04:01 AM.

Nemesis:
Weapon of Choice:

#248 vilkacis

vilkacis

Rashemen REPRESENT! Word to yo hamsta!

• Modder
  • 1571 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 08:03 PM

two problems with that.

First of all, I don't think there's a suitable lizardman avatar with all the proper animations.

Second, and more importantly, if you're going to post a "mod idea", it should be slightly more substantial than "an NPC to match this picture". You're not even sure if you want him to be a paladin or a blackguard! That's kind of important.

Edited by vilkacis, 18 December 2009 - 08:04 PM.

#249 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 04:31 AM

There just might be an IWD2 lizardman animation, though, and BG2 has the snake things... don't remember the name.... oh yeah, yuan-ti. And using a half-orc avatar wouldn't be unreasonable for a lizardman. It isn't as if the animations are big enough or detailed enough for there to be much argument against the idea. Burly half-orc, burly lizardman, are you going to argue?

Anyway, this is kind of an idea dump. If it captures somebody's imagination, who knows? They might run with it. In a way, I kind of prefer more vague posts here. After all, if I was going to pick up somebody else's idea, I'd want it to be as vague as possible to leave room for my own interpretation and vision regarding the character.

But then, I'm nobody, just some grunt who has too high a post count for her own good. Pay no attention.

"Imagination is given to man to console him for what he is not; a sense of humor, for what he is." - Oscar Wilde

berelinde's mods
TolkienAcrossTheWater website
TolkienAcrossTheWater Forum

#250 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 06:42 AM

There just might be an IWD2 lizardman animation, though, and BG2 has the snake things... don't remember the name.... oh yeah, yuan-ti.

There is a brown lizardman (MLIZ) and Infinity Animations adds the missing weapons for it as well as the green lizardman and lizard king from IWDs.

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
================================================================
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#251 Tieflingz

Tieflingz

SS Promotionist

• 100 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 10:35 AM

Dumping yet another, 3rd times the charm.

Name: Jheru
Race: Human
Class: Cleric
Kit: Lorekeeper of Oghma
Alignment: True Neutral
Stats: Str 10/Dex 16/Con 14/Int 16/Wis 18/Cha 15
Romance: None
Deity: Oghma

Facial Features:
Young, unscathed, unscarred, wrinkleless, always smiling

Body Figure:
Skinny, Medium Height, Robed with cowl off his shoulders

Hair:
Dark brown, cropped, thick, messy

Personal Interest:
Like many other Lorekeepers, Jheru is here to recover lost secrets, preserve knowledge, and spread information freely for all. With that in mind, what kept him from staying inside a library to dwell upon the walls of books and scrolls were his urge and curiosity to adventure and experience Faerun. "Wisdom may be only possessed by the learned, but experience sure makes it more practical!" Often Jheru states right after his elder and superiors have always told him "Wisdom is only possessed by the learned."

Characteristics:
Indeed, like a typical Lorekeeper, Jheru offers you knowledge and wisdom he had obtained from books and scrolls even though he may be considered young in any racial presence. Unlike his brothers and sisters in both knowledge and faith, however, his acts and words are of no priestly at all. Often stating cold jokes and lame comments no matter how serious the situations are often made you wordless and standing idle just to try and figure out how can a priest of knowledge be such a... comical douche bag and amusing jackass combined (Or just plain annoying and amateurish).

Appearance:
(As you entered the Temple of Oghma, with first thing in sight are the gathered priests of Oghma before you, elders and adapts alike. All of the sudden, you see one of the priests jumps on the long table before you and starts running your way. Amazed and awed (?) with such sight among the priests of knowledge, you assumed it is a young acolyte that is somewhat mentally challenged and the priests of knowledge took him in out of pity, for some reason.)

Jheru: Greetings! Greeeetings!! (He jumps off near the end of the long table and holds your hands without noticing your suspicious and clueless stares given to him) I am Jheru and I?

(One of the priests of knowledge among the sat crowd stood up immediately and started yelling towards you, or Jheru.)

Elder Lorekeeper: How many times have I told you! Do not run on the tables!! (Quickly and quietly states) Ooh, please close your ears for a moment, Oghma. (Returns to normal, or very loud, voice) Uneducated imbecile! See how you brought shame upon?

Jheru: I was just testing the hardiness of the planks of pinewood, my good teacher! I noticed that there are some creaks due to the vermi?

Elder Lorekeeper: Shut it right this moment, Jheru! Our guests are not here for you to be barking useless words at! (He pauses and coughs for a moment; poor old Lorekeeper probably deserves a better and less-bizarre acolyte)

Elder Lorekeeper: Excuse us, young <CHARNAME>, we have heard of the troubles of late, and wish to offer one of us to aid you in your quests while gathering and recording as much information as possible there are to offer for the events to come.

Reply 1: Erm... While that sounds nice and all, are you people real priests? I mean... This is somewhat unusual for a meeting, at least in my former encounters of those, I suppose... Acolytes running on tables, wise old man yelling and cursing...
Reply 2: No, thanks! Got to go! Have a nice one!
Reply 3: Is this the welcome I get? Such idiocy and stupidity are disgusting in my presence, I demand an explanation!

[/End of random fantasies]

Edited by Tieflingz, 01 January 2010 - 10:41 AM.

Nemesis:
Weapon of Choice:

#252 yarpen

yarpen

Drunken Superhero

• 257 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 06:42 PM

With less comical show like running on the tables and more smirky and questionable (especially for a priest of Oghma) comments it'd be quite interesting. :) Joyfull lorekeeper, huh. :D

#253 Tieflingz

Tieflingz

SS Promotionist

• 100 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 03:18 AM

Indeed, yet I often stop myself at certain point of my fantasies, because as it gets too ambitious, often I can't wrap it up and have to drop it eventually!

I believe that happens to many ideas, as our Lead Admin, Mr. K, has stated on his interview not long ago.

I think once I'm done with my army time and am able to write the dialogues/scripts better, I'll come back and retrieve these, if not taken!
Nemesis:
Weapon of Choice:

#254 yarpen

yarpen

Drunken Superhero

• 257 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 09:23 AM

You can always count on me in terms of kits, spells and items, my friend. :)

#255 Tieflingz

Tieflingz

SS Promotionist

• 100 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 10:06 AM

You can always count on me in terms of kits, spells and items, my friend. :)

Pure... Awesomeness!
I'm really grateful for the kind and friendly words! If my reply is already not goose-bumping enough even for myself I wouldn't know what else to state :P

My thanks once again, but before posting this as a simple reply to an awesome message, I think I need to at least post a character or this might become a spam for the thread..

Name: Lansia (Yes... It's similiar to an Italian Car Company named Lancia... It sounds cool, so what? :ph34r: )
Race: Human
Class: Fighter
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
Stats: Str 15/Dex 16/Con 18/Int 10/Wis 14/Cha 11
Features: Given a closer look into the grim and scathed face of Lansia, you find her to be quite attractive, if not because of your own fetish for mature women... (Okay, that's a joke, but that's about the idea I had in mind, no offense for the mature women!)
Biography: As Berelinde have stated in the previous posts, and given my own laziness, I'd like to leave the rest mostly blank until I have the time to think of something not too cheesy but not too ordinary.

Guard Captain's daughter, perhaps?

Weapon Preference: Halberd, Spear, Quarterstaff
Weapon Style: Two-Handed Weapon Style

Portrait Example: BG portrait by nattzvart (I'm certain many of you have seen this, it's quite nice for the not-too-exotic options, which happens to be in my likings)
Nemesis:
Weapon of Choice:

#256 yarpen

yarpen

Drunken Superhero

• 257 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 06:27 PM

I've got few old NPC ideas. Here's latest one - aim was to create scoundrel/trickster type of character with a bit of nostalgic fantasy-scheme story, who brings to game a bit of his many talents, charm and sharp tongue.

Name: Finvar
Race: Half-elf
Class: Fighter/Thief/Mage
Alignment: Neutral Good/Neutral (I wasn't so sure about this one).
Stats: Str 14/Dex 16/Con 9/Int 14/Wis 11/Cha 16
Profinencies: 2* Long Sword 2* Crossbow 1* Staff

Story: Finvar is an outcome of as passionate as short romance between elven wizardress and human noble. He raised in castle of his father, but as bastard (his father had also a wife, so...) his childhood wasn't very pleasant. Because of his step-mother and 'brothers' which always regarded him as lower-kind, peasant and pain in the *ss he didn't needed too much time for deciding that he should leave father's keep so he did without any doubts. (here you can insert story about being interested in his beautiful sister and being kicked out from father's castle). He met kind-hearted old bard-trickster and shouted 'I want you to teach me everything about... about...' 'About what?' 'About swords... bows... magic... stealth... that stuff!' and when at start of his training young Finvar was thinking about coming back to father's keep and fight for that what (in his opinion) he deserved, he quickly forgotten about his past. Also, very quickly he became very proficient beguiler who thanks to his innate charisma, quick hands, a bit of magic earned enough money for bed, food and vine. And for long time it was enough for him. Also he served in few adventuring companies but he never could find his place. He wandered to Amn because of letter sent to him by his father (who was only one person who in his specific way accepted his presence in castle) who wrote to him, that he heard that his true mother was present somewhere in Amn or Tethyr...

Special Feature:
Finvar is a kind of great learner so many times in banters between him and his companions he can learn a lot of stuff. Yoshimo is showing him a bit of his secrets of pickpocketing (+5%), Anomen shows proper fighting stance (+1 to ThaC0), spellbook stolen from Edwin grants him possibility of learning few med-level spells.

Quests:
- Finvar posses a map which states where legendary pirate Oakhurst delSol is keeping his treasure! Of course when you try to look for it you're finding cave, where... there are few sea zombies and nothing else. Dawg.
- Storyline of looking for his mother, maybe they can meet up at Suldanesselar. Dunno.

#257 Azkyroth

Azkyroth
  • Modder
  • 3496 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 10:05 PM

I've got few old NPC ideas. Here's latest one - aim was to create scoundrel/trickster type of character with a bit of nostalgic fantasy-scheme story, who brings to game a bit of his many talents, charm and sharp tongue.

Name: Finvar
Race: Half-elf
Class: Fighter/Thief/Mage
Alignment: Neutral Good/Neutral (I wasn't so sure about this one).
Stats: Str 14/Dex 16/Con 9/Int 14/Wis 11/Cha 16
Profinencies: 2* Long Sword 2* Crossbow 1* Staff

Story: Finvar is an outcome of as passionate as short romance between elven wizardress and human noble. He raised in castle of his father, but as bastard (his father had also a wife, so...) his childhood wasn't very pleasant. Because of his step-mother and 'brothers' which always regarded him as lower-kind, peasant and pain in the *ss he didn't needed too much time for deciding that he should leave father's keep so he did without any doubts. (here you can insert story about being interested in his beautiful sister and being kicked out from father's castle). He met kind-hearted old bard-trickster and shouted 'I want you to teach me everything about... about...' 'About what?' 'About swords... bows... magic... stealth... that stuff!' and when at start of his training young Finvar was thinking about coming back to father's keep and fight for that what (in his opinion) he deserved, he quickly forgotten about his past. Also, very quickly he became very proficient beguiler who thanks to his innate charisma, quick hands, a bit of magic earned enough money for bed, food and vine. And for long time it was enough for him. Also he served in few adventuring companies but he never could find his place. He wandered to Amn because of letter sent to him by his father (who was only one person who in his specific way accepted his presence in castle) who wrote to him, that he heard that his true mother was present somewhere in Amn or Tethyr...

Special Feature:
Finvar is a kind of great learner so many times in banters between him and his companions he can learn a lot of stuff. Yoshimo is showing him a bit of his secrets of pickpocketing (+5%), Anomen shows proper fighting stance (+1 to ThaC0), spellbook stolen from Edwin grants him possibility of learning few med-level spells.

Quests:
- Finvar posses a map which states where legendary pirate Oakhurst delSol is keeping his treasure! Of course when you try to look for it you're finding cave, where... there are few sea zombies and nothing else. Dawg.
- Storyline of looking for his mother, maybe they can meet up at Suldanesselar. Dunno.

Why not a bard? Most of the relevant skills without the experience penalty and it makes sense given his mentor.

"Tyranny is a quiet thing at first, a prim and proper lady pursing her lips and shaking her head disapprovingly, asking, well what were you doing (wearing that dress, walking home at that hour, expressing those inappropriate thoughts) anyway? It's subtle and insidious, disguised as reasonable precautions which become more and more oppressive over time, until our lives are defined by the things we must avoid. She's easy enough to agree with, after all, she's only trying to help -- and yet she's one of the most dangerous influences we face, because if she prevails, it puts the raping, robbing, axe-wielding madmen of the world in complete control. Eventually they'll barely need to wield a thing, all they'll have to do is leer menacingly and we fall all over ourselves trying to placate them." -godlizard

#258 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 12:03 AM

Don't know about that. The way Yarpen describes him, he sounds more like a jack of all trades, master of none. Given that, a F/T/M suits him better, since he'll never really be good enough at any of them to excel.

... Finvar was thinking about coming back to father's keep and fight for that what (in his opinion) he deserved.

To me, that sounds decidedly chaotic neutral, but alignments are always the sum of the parts plus modder perception of alignment, so the best bet there would be to decide on an alignment last, after everything is written and the full character has evolved.

He does sound interesting,though.

"Imagination is given to man to console him for what he is not; a sense of humor, for what he is." - Oscar Wilde

berelinde's mods
TolkienAcrossTheWater website
TolkienAcrossTheWater Forum

#259 yarpen

yarpen

Drunken Superhero

• 257 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 01:33 AM

To me, that sounds decidedly chaotic neutral, but alignments are always the sum of the parts plus modder perception of alignment, so the best bet there would be to decide on an alignment last, after everything is written and the full character has evolved.

I'm more fond of Neutral alignment because:
a) He's far away from this stage of his life and doesn't even think about such a stupid idea again. Currently he's focusing on his own adventures and when he still likes his father, he doesn't think about coming back to old place because at outside it's far more interesting. He venerates wandering, adventures and good companion. Always the good'fella! ;)
a) I do like alternative vision of Neutral alignment which doesn't bring the crap about balance - it's just a state when you're not thinking about whole war of good and evil, and just try to find your place on Toril.

Why not a bard? Most of the relevant skills without the experience penalty and it makes sense given his mentor.

That's because he sings only when he's drunk. ;P I was thinking about optional kit of revised Charlatan who is capable of mimic other class's abilities (Barbarian's Rage, Stunning Fist/Hit, Lay on Hands) and can use any item at low levels for 1 round/level. (For lack of confusion with Andyr's idea it can be called Chameleon as 3rd editional guy).

Also I wanted to introduce to game fighter/mage/thief character who's supposed to be in party - it's great in terms of roleplaying and not too overpowered character.

Feh, I'm quite mechanical freak and not capable of writing stuff in english. Dawg.

Edited by yarpen, 20 January 2010 - 02:06 AM.

#260 yarpen

yarpen

Drunken Superhero

• 257 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 06:18 PM

Dunno if it's proper place for this, but I also always wanted to ressurect Eldoth in BG2. With a bit of magic touch and re-do he can be quite intriguing characters. I loved writing his banters, here are few examples (sorry for very bad english, for me it isn't so easy to translate everything from my beloved language into english):

Edwin: Tell me simian, where's the source of all venom you're spilling in your art? Loves full of betrayals, poisoned lovers... maybe even if you're looking as 'women' person who can gain attention of noblewomans, maybe you've got some problem with them? You know, if you want some help in this matter...
Eldoth: Red mage, please, stop it and share your interest with someone *other* than me. Especially I don't want to hear anything about your Thayvans "initiations" and "rituals"...
Edwin: You're insuinating me that.. that I WANTED TO PROPOSE... (for gods! Who is he to judge Edwin, the all-mighty woman-lover who's charm is as powerfull as his magic!)
Eldoth: Edwin, nevermind. Question of your bed partner is just up to you: you can end with fine lad, maybe you're preffering young boys - someone other would be quite happy with goat. And be sure that yes, I can accept your preffered vision of spending free time with another man, even if I do prefer these delicious and rich noblewomans, but you know... I can accept it unless you're staying far away from bedroll. Okay?
Edwin: (Right, I'll be far away when this fireball will explode in your...)

Jaheira: I want to set it right Eldoth. If you'll be close enough to my bedroll that I'll be capable of crushing your skull with staff - I can assure you that your death is going to be very, very painfull.
Eldoth: Y-your bedroll? Jaheira, I don't like to be misjudged especially for crimes I'd never commit.
Eldoth: Never. I'd rather prefer old, rotten and horny ogre. I hope that it'll help you to sleep well, my dear druid.

Eldoth: O'mighty and fiercy knight, what's supposed to be now on our heroes shedule in your beloved companion? Rescuing fat, old, and probably-not-virgins? Fighting with dozens of imaginary beasts which are personifications of someone's hurt by drunk father pride? O'sword of hipocrisy, lead the way!
Anomen: You viper's tongue, your poison probably already toxinated your mind. Stop your madness or I'll be forced to fight for Helm's honour! What are you babbling about?
Eldoth: Uhm, who, me? I was talking to myself, my dear Anomen - don't bother yourself.

(Only fragment)
Eldoth: Mazzy, thanks for your offer of help. So... I'm writing a story of mad princess who loved to bathe in blood.... and here I'm stuck. What's more disgusting: virgin's or infant's blood? Which one is more shocking for you?
Mazzy: ...
Eldoth: -oh yeah, you're right. Dead infants are far more terryfing to most of people. Hah, no liches, no beholders - it's just a little, quite cold i-
Mazzy: Y-you monster! I don't want to hear anything about it anymore! Just stop, please! ...