Photo

Improved Aerie romance

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 Neveah09

Neveah09
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 May 2004 - 01:06 PM

Aerie's romance is one that can be done in like 3 minutes or less when using the CLUA console, imo its a welcome relief when compared to the longer Viconia romance and the even longer Jaheira romance, but couldn't something be done to Aerie's to make it a little more interesting? I know that she's insecure and doesn't need much convincing about the PC's love for her, unlike Viconia, but maybe if an Aerie kidnapping by slavers (maybe the ones that captured her in the first place?) and the PC coming to rescue her or something along those lines. I saw something about an Aerie kidnapping in the Unfinished Business mod but I haven't seen anything about it in UB's latest releases... so maybe a stand alone version could be done?

I dont know how much the original romance would have to be tweaked to implement this, as the PC's rescuing Aerie would pretty much convince her that the PC really does care about her, as opposed to him just being nice to her until she asks him to sleep with her. Also keep in mind that it might not necessarily be a kidnapping, maybe a surprise bandit attack like in the Jaheira romance would work pretty well too, I think. A 'random' bandit attack wouldn't bring up the issue of why the slavers would want Aerie back in the first place, but I thought it might be something to consider at least.

#2 kirkjobsluder

kirkjobsluder
  • 222 posts

Posted 15 May 2004 - 01:17 PM

I think it would be a good idea. One of the things I've most wanted to "fix" in the Aerie romance and the Jaheira romance is how if you have sex with them when they offer to, it kills the relationship.

#3 Seraph

Seraph
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 May 2004 - 06:35 PM

The Aerie romance does seem quite simple and straight forward, although that does not stop me from romancing her because it still makes for good interaction with the party's holy magician.

An Aerie mod involving Wing Elf Inquisitors (not sure how this would be animated) trying to kill Aerie for worshiping Balivear (spelling?) and being wingless would be interesting. The player character's choice of standing by Aerie in the face of powerful holy flying warriors would be a sign of affection instead of just handing her over.

If no mod is created, just put Jaheira and Viconia in the same party as Aerie and let the cat-fights begin. That makes it interesting indeed.

#4 Neveah09

Neveah09
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 May 2004 - 07:53 AM

An Aerie mod involving Wing Elf Inquisitors (not sure how this would be animated) trying to kill Aerie for worshiping Balivear (spelling?) and being wingless would be interesting. The player character's choice of standing by Aerie in the face of powerful holy flying warriors would be a sign of affection instead of just handing her over.

Actually, I like that idea better than the ones I suggested :D .

I'd even be willing to write for it, I'm working on the Sime flirt pack for Tortured Souls but once I'm done that project I'd be willing to start writing for this, if anyone's interested at least.

#5 -Ashara-

-Ashara-

Posted 17 May 2004 - 08:48 AM

Would not that cotradict her ToB epilogue though, where she and Charname are accepted into the Avariel Society quite gladly and w/o a show of hostility?

#6 kirkjobsluder

kirkjobsluder
  • 222 posts

Posted 17 May 2004 - 08:56 AM

Another one of those "what the heck moments" in the stock romances is the slayer change. Ok, imagine this. Your lover changes into a four-armed demonic avatar of murder with a particular grudge for killing you, and your response is. "oh, don't worry dear, we'll get through this somehow." The resolution to having been kidnapped by Bodhi also seems a bit hollow.

#7 fallen_demon

fallen_demon

barely untraind assasian

• 451 posts

Posted 17 May 2004 - 09:35 AM

no, the slayer only has 2 arms so the reactions perfectly normal.
edit:spelling

Edited by fallen_demon, 17 May 2004 - 09:36 AM.

"I choose to believe what I was programed to believe."
Futurama quotes rock

#8 Neveah09

Neveah09
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 May 2004 - 08:37 AM

Would not that cotradict her ToB epilogue though, where she and Charname are accepted into the Avariel Society quite gladly and w/o a show of hostility?

Eh... yeah I guess it would, unless we simply rewrite the epilogue too :lol: .
To avoid that, a bandit ambush in the night wouldn't have any long-term effect on the epilogue, or return of the slavers, for that matter. Maybe the slavers weren't so quick to give up one of their 'pieces of property' so they want her back? Now that she's no longer under Quayle's protection and is grouped with Charname, who they wouldn't know much about, could that be used instead?

Could even tweak the Slaver's quest in the Slums district a bit to make it all tie in, just a thought.

#9 -Bill-

-Bill-

Posted 21 May 2004 - 03:09 AM

I found something in the data files.
A crap load of text about Haer'dalis challanging the PC to a duel to the death over Aerie!

#10 Seraph

Seraph
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 May 2004 - 04:36 AM

I found something in the data files.
A crap load of text about Haer'dalis challanging the PC to a duel to the death over Aerie!

It happens.

Would not that contradict her ToB epilogue though, where she and Charname are accepted into the Avariel Society quite gladly and w/o a show of hostility?

Yes, but I never liked that ending anyway. Why does it have to be such a fairy tale ending? They are oh so powerful at the end of Throne of Bhaal, why should they care about a bunch of snooty flying elves that abandoned Aerie? Or better yet, attacked and tried to kill Aerie?

I don't like the avariel, so sue me.

#11 Theodur

Theodur

Proud Founder of EATCO

• 182 posts

Posted 23 May 2004 - 07:19 AM

Would not that contradict her ToB epilogue though, where she and Charname are accepted into the Avariel Society quite gladly and w/o a show of hostility?

Yes, but I never liked that ending anyway. Why does it have to be such a fairy tale ending? They are oh so powerful at the end of Throne of Bhaal, why should they care about a bunch of snooty flying elves that abandoned Aerie? Or better yet, attacked and tried to kill Aerie?

I don't like the avariel, so sue me.

I absolutely can't stand that syrupy, saccharine ending that the LG innocent Cinderella gets. Egads, I thought it was disgusting... as if I needed more reasons to hate the whiner's guts. Of course, if you are LG, everything just *has* to end up perfectly for you, doesn't it? Blech.

#12 Jenova

Jenova

Professional Hypocrite

• 156 posts

Posted 23 May 2004 - 07:32 AM

I absolutely can't stand that syrupy, saccharine ending that the LG innocent Cinderella gets. Egads, I thought it was disgusting... as if I needed more reasons to hate the whiner's guts. Of course, if you are LG, everything just *has* to end up perfectly for you, doesn't it? Blech.

Did You ever try to romance Aerie, tell her you love her, make her a baby and then become a god? I did, as a LG ranger and...

...call me nuts but I had a laugh when I heard what she has to say about it :lol:
"...whenever people arguing on the same theory do not reach the same conclusion, you may be sure they do not know what they are talking about."
--Hippocrates

Writer for Brotherhood of Quill, new BG2 mod by Forgotten Demigod!

Can I have a bite, please?

#13 Theodur

Theodur

Proud Founder of EATCO

• 182 posts

Posted 23 May 2004 - 07:43 AM

Did You ever try to romance Aerie, tell her you love her, make her a baby and then become a god? I did, as a LG ranger and...

...call me nuts but I had a laugh when I heard what she has to say about it :lol:

I will find that out soon. :) I must be totally nuts, but I'm currently romancing her with an evil gnome fighter-thief... :blink: The whole baby-thing is just so... I don't know, can you say "ridiculous"? Nevermind the pregnancy which should last two years for an elf, not a couple of weeks... but it makes the pregnancy appear so easy and the childbirth so painless... and then she just straps the kid onto her back and off to fight Melissan we go... it's just a mockery of how these things really happen in RL - all women who have experienced that, must hate or envy the wingless wonder for how easy that is for her. I don't know, maybe someone finds it *sweet*... the realist in me says that its ludicrous. :)

#14 Jenova

Jenova

Professional Hypocrite

• 156 posts

Posted 23 May 2004 - 09:09 AM

and then she just straps the kid onto her back and off to fight Melissan we go...

That really pissed me off :angry:

This is not a way to treat a baby, oh that poor new-born :(

I don't know, maybe someone finds it *sweet*...

Yeah, it is sooo sweet :rolleyes:

The whole baby-thing is just so... I don't know, can you say "ridiculous"?

Yes, this is ridiculous.

It's a pitty that Aerie can't use this baby as a wand or any other special item... it would bring a whole lot more "roleplaying" to the game <_<
"...whenever people arguing on the same theory do not reach the same conclusion, you may be sure they do not know what they are talking about."
--Hippocrates

Writer for Brotherhood of Quill, new BG2 mod by Forgotten Demigod!

Can I have a bite, please?

#15 fallen_demon

fallen_demon

barely untraind assasian

• 451 posts

Posted 23 May 2004 - 09:50 AM

Baby Quale
Item type: Wand
Description: child of <CHARNAME> and Aerie.
Statistics:
cast stinking cloud 1/day
cast stun with cuteness 2/day
Not usable by:
Korgan. Just trust me. You don't want Korgan to hold a baby.

But seriously, it pissed me off that Aerie got to name the baby and you couldn't change it. I wanted to name his after one of my fathers, Gorian or Bhaal
Futurama quotes rock

#16 Seraph

Seraph
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 May 2004 - 11:08 PM

Baby Quale
Item type: Wand
Description: child of <CHARNAME> and Aerie.
Statistics:
cast stinking cloud 1/day
cast stun with cuteness 2/day
Not usable by:
Korgan. Just trust me. You don't want Korgan to hold a baby.

But seriously, it pissed me off that Aerie got to name the baby and you couldn't change it. I wanted to name his after one of my fathers, Gorian or Bhaal

I think you can change it's name if you have the Flirt Pack mod. I think.

#17 Feanor

Feanor

The Elven Lord

• 1808 posts

Posted 24 May 2004 - 04:29 AM

Nevermind the pregnancy which should last two years for an elf, not a couple of weeks...

Time is very compressed in BG series, mates. Normally, it would have also been impossible to evolve from a level 1 character to a level 30 killing machine in just one year... ;)

#18 Neveah09

Neveah09
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 May 2004 - 08:17 AM

Well I was really only hoping for a few tweaked or added lovetalks and a "save Aerie" quest for SoA, but now that I think about it, the whole baby thing in ToB is ridiculous. Not so much in the time it takes for the baby to come, but the 'strap it on my back and we'll ask Melissan not to cast Horrid Wilting or fireballs at me 'cause of the baby. And oh yeah, it's gonna be named Quayle whether you like it or not' thing. This is turning into a topic about almost completely revamping the Aerie romance :D .

I think you can change it's name if you have the Flirt Pack mod. I think.

You get the option to put the naming of the baby on hold, but it never gets discussed further. I didn't know that was from the Flirt Packs but then I never played ToB without them :P .

#19 Neveah09

Neveah09
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 07:55 AM

Had to scroll for a while before I found something on topic... :blink: I have no problem with the pregnancy as it is now, well maybe except that they should've kept the birth of baby Quayle strictly for the epilogue.

Sure it would be nice to see such thing but the PC should get some options (You know, not just "Oh you bastard! Leave my poor, poor Aerie alone!" ).

True, some evil and good options would fit the gameplay style better than what I had in mind. I found out not that long ago that she does romance evil PC's, even if she doesn't agree with his actions all the time :P . The PC should get the option to save her from the rampaging failure of the Order, or to let the romance die (literally). I'd like to see how Charname holds up against an Anomen with Crom Faeyr (sp?).

But hey! I always load the game when I do such a thing! Honest!

Sure ya do :lol:

#20 fallen_demon

fallen_demon

barely untraind assasian

• 451 posts

Posted 29 May 2004 - 12:52 PM

I actually had now problem with the pregnancy time scale, i just find the concept of her taking the baby to fight melisan a little over the top. Maybe if there was a small dialouge about her leaving him w/ quale senior.
Futurama quotes rock