Photo

BGT-WeiDU 0.99 BETA released!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
127 replies to this topic

#41 GekkeR

GekkeR
  • 39 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 02:57 AM

Seeing as I can reinstall this thing very fast , I decided to get beta2 to test the install.

But , where is it ? :D

It probably takes time for the mirrors to update ?
Just making sure :)

#42 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 04:18 AM

Seeing as I can reinstall this thing very fast , I decided to get beta2 to test the install.

But , where is it ? :D

It probably takes time for the mirrors to update ?
Just making sure :)

View Post

Yeah, it takes time. Haven't heard from 'the tertiary industry of SHS' yet? That is, TheWizard has not PMed me back since the announcement I have uploaded the files to him.

--------------
Retired Modder
Note: I do not respond to profile comments/personal messages in regards to troubleshooting my modifications. Please post on the public forums instead.

Baldur's Gate Trilogy-WeiDU and Mods
Throne of Bhaal Extender (TobEx)

Contributions: (NWN2) A Deathstalker (voice acting) - (IWD2) IWD2 NPC Project (soundset editing) - (Misc) SHS PC Soundsets (voice acting)
Legacy: (BG/Tutu/BGT) Beregost Crash Fixer 1.9 (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Enable conversations with charmed/dominated creatures (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Experience Corrections (18 Jul 10) - (Misc) Platform Conversion Utility RC2 (13 Feb 10)

#43 King Diamond

King Diamond

Give Me Your Soul...Please

• Modder
  • 1430 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 06:34 AM

And on KDs Baldurdash: As Ascension64 mentioned before, you do not NEED it. But you pretty sure WANT it

Sounds good! So, at what point is it best to install it? ;)

View Post

At any moment, but I'd recommend it to be the last mod in line....

Edited by King Diamond, 01 July 2005 - 06:34 AM.

(last update: 02-12-2008)
----------------------------------------------
SoS, v1.13
TDD, v1.12
TS-BP, v6.10
CtB, v1.11
RoT, v2.1
----------------------------------------------
BP Animations Scheme

#44 -Christopher-

-Christopher-

Posted 01 July 2005 - 10:40 AM

Thanks for all the hard work you and all the other modders have put into this.  I've really been looking forward to this release.  Now I'm just hoping my wife will let me spend some of this upcoming long weekend playing.  I also want to pass on kudo's to the quick and will support your mods.

I just hope it works for you and others out there. :blink:

I know nothing about copyright laws, infringement, or other legal issues, but I'd personally pay $35-50 USD for a fully compatible and self-installing version of BGT-BP-TDD-SOS-TS-NEJ1-NEJ2-CTB-DToTSC-NToTSC-BH-FR/ROV-UB-SMM-Redemption-Oversight with Weimer's items (upgrade and under-represented) and ease-of-use, Planar Sphere Quest, Taza's Shop, Aby's Shop, Black Rose Quest and Market Prices, and the bag bonus (cases and ammo belts are wonderful). That's my current dream installation (which has not yet even begun to install properly, but I'm slowly muddling through it). Does anyone out there know what the intellectual property rights are on mods and fanfic like this? It would be fantastic to get all of the developers of these FANTASTIC mods (and I cannot emphasize just how terrific it is to have these mods adding so much to a game that I already loved!) some more recognition, small compensation, etc. I'm sure that whoever owns BG1/2/TOB would be happy to sell more copies...

I'm pretty sure this won't work. Especially Bonehill since that takes off aleady Wizard of the Coast and/or TSR(?) copyrighted material. I'm quite sure all modifications do not have the 'ability' to make wages, at least, I certainly haven't seen any modifications charging money in the past. The only exception is Neverwinter Nights Premium Modules, but they are Bioware-made and they have the rights to do so. Anyone who knows the correct infringement law might say something here, but that is my understanding anyway.

View Post

Well, how about we get around the situation in the same manner in which organizations have the ability to charge a processing fee for human products? Sure, it wouldn't be highly profitable, but I think many of us would shell out money for the CDs of your mods, with an easy-to-use installation feature. We couldn't purchase the mods, which are available for free online, but only pay someone for their efforts in compiling all of the existing items into one installation (compatability fixed and optional installation items asked upfront). The cost would be labor in your manhours for debugging and burning the installation, as well as the cost of materials for you to send them to us. Anyone interested?

I'd be willing to pay in beer as well, as this is my fourth attempt to get these mods installed properly (each time was a forgotten detail on my part, not the fault of the mods). I'm about to embark on a drinking celebration when I get them all installed and the game loaded up to run. If there are bugs, so be it, I'm not going through this again anytime soon...

Fourth time's the charm...
Chris

#45 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 02 July 2005 - 06:14 AM

BGT-WeiDU 0.99 BETA 2 is up on the servers. Again, please let me know how the installation goes on Win95/98/ME machines.

--------------
Retired Modder
Note: I do not respond to profile comments/personal messages in regards to troubleshooting my modifications. Please post on the public forums instead.

Contributions: (NWN2) A Deathstalker (voice acting) - (IWD2) IWD2 NPC Project (soundset editing) - (Misc) SHS PC Soundsets (voice acting)
Legacy: (BG/Tutu/BGT) Beregost Crash Fixer 1.9 (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Enable conversations with charmed/dominated creatures (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Experience Corrections (18 Jul 10) - (Misc) Platform Conversion Utility RC2 (13 Feb 10)

#46 -Cal-

-Cal-

Posted 03 July 2005 - 11:45 AM

Okay, when it asks for the directory of my BG1 install I type this in.

c:\games\baldur's gate
then hit ctrl+z and then enter

It then tells me there is a syntax error and kicks me out of the command prompt.

#47 GekkeR

GekkeR
  • 39 posts

Posted 03 July 2005 - 01:15 PM

it must have something to do with the space and perhaps the ' in the dir name , try renaming it to c:\games\baldurs and try again

Edited by GekkeR, 03 July 2005 - 01:15 PM.

#48 marty

marty
  • 42 posts

Posted 03 July 2005 - 02:17 PM

Hi guys, I just thought i'd add that maybe its about time that we make consolidating existing mods a new official "modding project".

I mean all the forums are getting so clogged with installation questions, and I personally find myself spending more time installing the Mods than playing them!

Things are getting more confusing with the WeiDu versions now being worked on, I propose:

1) We make an "official install guide" that Ascenion64, Sir Billybob, Hlidsklaif, Horred all agree on. This would be THE install procedure that any forum questions would based on. The guide will cover installation from the base games to big mods and finally the compatible small mods. All the peices for this guide are floating around and I think it would be a HUGE help for ppl to have this all brought together finalized and made official.

2) We make an seperate Installation Forum, specifically for addressing install problems and compatiblilty. Maybe we can even make a FAQ for what areas each mod affects so that bug/compatiblity testing can be done in a more systematic manner AND any ppl who are installing new mods will know the major areas/dialogues/scripts are being affected by each mod.

3) Really push having a consolidated WeiDU version of all the large mods SoS-TTD-TS-BGT-NeJ-Ctb-DSotSC-NotSC-BH. It will be one heck of a file, but at least everyone will know they are getting all they need and noone will have to look for an elusive .tp2 or have to wonder about 4 different versions of the same mod. After this is done, the install guide could be phased out. I realize this would be a monumental task, but a first step would be to stop working on the "classic" version and focus the community on testing and developing the WeiDU versions of the mods.

In short, I think its time that we cleaned up stray posts about installation into ONE install guide and forum. AND that we focus on the WeiDU version development eventually making the "classic" BP-BGT-NEJ obsolete.

Just my 2 cents :)
marty

oh BTW i'd be willing to put in time to help compile an install guide. I'm new to IE modding but I am a programmer and would be willingto learn some stuff to help make the ultimate WeiDu version a reality...

Edited by marty, 03 July 2005 - 02:31 PM.

#49 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 03 July 2005 - 05:10 PM

It then tells me there is a syntax error and kicks me out of the command prompt.

View Post

OK, remember the command prompt only supports 8 characters, so your baldur's gate directory might be C:\GAMES\BALDUR~1, which is not the best, but certainly try renaming the directory since apostrophes are not liked by these versions of the command prompt. And you can always rename it back at the end.

Edited by Ascension64, 03 July 2005 - 05:19 PM.

--------------
Retired Modder

#50 -Cal-

-Cal-

Posted 03 July 2005 - 09:29 PM

Unfortunately that doesn't work either.

I've tried shortening the names, different cases, with and without slashes, etc. Always with a syntax error. Rather infuriating :)

#51 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 04 July 2005 - 02:45 AM

I've tried shortening the names, different cases, with and without slashes, etc. Always with a syntax error. Rather infuriating :)

View Post

I'm sorry that you are the guinea pig here Cal, but can you open up BGT-Presetup.bat in <BGII install directory>\BGT\Language\English and DELETE "@ECHO OFF" at the top, run the installation again, then when you get the syntax error, post as much of the script as you can here. It might be easier if you just took a screenshot and registered on these forums, so you can just post a picture, but if you don't want to, write down all the script preceding the syntax error. Cheers.

--------------
Retired Modder

#52 Dunderdon

Dunderdon
  • 62 posts

Posted 04 July 2005 - 06:07 AM

View Post

If I remember correctly the new BGT-Weidu installation does not require you to hit ctrl+z.

#53 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 04 July 2005 - 08:08 AM

View Post

If I remember correctly the new BGT-Weidu installation does not require you to hit ctrl+z.

View Post

No actually, if you use Windows NT/XP/2000 you will never use Ctrl+Z because the command prompt detects your Windows version. If you use Windows 95/98/ME it will ask for the Ctrl+Z method because these older OS' do not support the SET /p command in DOS.

--------------
Retired Modder

#54 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 05 July 2005 - 01:55 AM

I've taken a look on the net, and found a couple of sites that may help with the Win98 problem.

This page gives an example program that reads from the keyboard and outputs to a variable. It seems to work, although you need quotes if your string includes spaces.

This one lists a number of things that can be done in Win95 dos. Note: I haven't tested any of this. There is an alternate version of the program in the link above included in this FAQ.

I hope this is helpful

#55 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 05:07 AM

I've taken a look on the net, and found a couple of sites that may help with the Win98 problem.

This page gives an example program that reads from the keyboard and outputs to a variable. It seems to work, although you need quotes if your string includes spaces.

This one lists a number of things that can be done in Win95 dos. Note: I haven't tested any of this. There is an alternate version of the program in the link above included in this FAQ.

I hope this is helpful

View Post

Thanks. However, the script used for Win95/98/ME is Bardez's original and works on ME (since I've tried it before). The syntax error I believe is the existance of a function not supported, so it might be some of the newer code that is not recognised by the older versions of Windows. I need someone to track that down.

--------------
Retired Modder

#56 ScuD

ScuD
  • 492 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 12:29 PM

So guys...
First of all, many thanks to Asc for making this great mod available!
Just have installed everything - all works well for now ;)
About mods which are marked as untested - neither installed well, so I'm posting here the links to .DEBUG files and WeiDU.log as well:
SETUP-CHECKTHEBODIES V150.DEBUG
SETUP-DSOTSC.DEBUG
SETUP-BONEHILL.DEBUG
WeiDU.log
Hope this will help for future mods updates :)
Unfortunately, I have no time to learn how to work with WeiDU and everything, but I can make my contribution here as a tester :P

#57 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 05:12 PM

So guys...
First of all, many thanks to Asc for making this great mod available!
Just have installed everything - all works well for now ;)
About mods which are marked as untested - neither installed well, so I'm posting here the links to .DEBUG files and WeiDU.log as well:
SETUP-CHECKTHEBODIES V150.DEBUG
SETUP-DSOTSC.DEBUG
SETUP-BONEHILL.DEBUG
WeiDU.log
Hope this will help for future mods updates :)
Unfortunately, I have no time to learn how to work with WeiDU and everything, but I can make my contribution here as a tester :P

View Post

Well done! The biggest concern I have are those people using Win95/98/ME, which is preventing me from working out what is actually wrong and is the roadblock to release of BETA 3. But let us know if you have bugs with your current installation anyway.

--------------
Retired Modder

#58 Calantyr

Calantyr
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 10:23 PM

View Post

I'm sorry that you are the guinea pig here Cal, but can you open up BGT-Presetup.bat in <BGII install directory>\BGT\Language\English and DELETE "@ECHO OFF" at the top, run the installation again, then when you get the syntax error, post as much of the script as you can here. It might be easier if you just took a screenshot and registered on these forums, so you can just post a picture, but if you don't want to, write down all the script preceding the syntax error. Cheers.

View Post

Rightoh, here you go. It's probably something stupid that I've overlooked.

Before I enter my BG1 directory:
[img=http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/3039/bgterror19oe.th.jpg]

After the fateful event!:
[img=http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/3241/bgterror23bj.th.jpg]

#59 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 04:16 AM

View Post

View Post

Rightoh, here you go. It's probably something stupid that I've overlooked.

Before I enter my BG1 directory:
[img=http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/3039/bgterror19oe.th.jpg]

After the fateful event!:
[img=http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/3241/bgterror23bj.th.jpg]

View Post

Oh, shite! the specific FOR command is not supported either. That really sucks. Looks like I'll have to find another way to do this.

UPDATE: Removed.

Edited by Ascension64, 06 July 2005 - 08:37 AM.

--------------
Retired Modder

#60 -grogerson-

-grogerson-

Posted 06 July 2005 - 05:17 AM

I thought something looked familiar on the syntax error (thanks for the pics Calantyr). The same problem is noted in Shadowtech's guide.

From Calantyr's pic:
FOR /F "delims=" %v IN (Input) DO SET BG1PATH=%v

From Shadowtech's guide:
FOR /F "delims=" %%v IN (TEMP$$$$.$$$) DO SET BG1PATH=%%v

The same problems results in SE in both versions of BGT.

I'm at work right now, but I'll try changing the line tonight to:
SET BG1PATH=qqqqq

This change was needed in the old version to get it to load on SE.

I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow.