BGT-WeiDU 0.99 BETA released!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
127 replies to this topic

#61 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 05:37 AM

I thought something looked familiar on the syntax error (thanks for the pics Calantyr). The same problem is noted in Shadowtech's guide.

From Calantyr's pic:
FOR /F "delims=" %v IN (Input) DO SET BG1PATH=%v

From Shadowtech's guide:
FOR /F "delims=" %%v IN (TEMP$$$$.$$$) DO SET BG1PATH=%%v

The same problems results in SE in both versions of BGT.

I'm at work right now, but I'll try changing the line tonight to:
SET BG1PATH=qqqqq

This change was needed in the old version to get it to load on SE.

I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow.

View Post

No, it won't work. the command prompt displays %v when in fact the .bat file shows %%v. Looking at online documentation for DOS in Win95/98 it doesn't support FOR /F which is really bad.

Edited by Ascension64, 06 July 2005 - 05:39 AM.

--------------
Retired Modder
Note: I do not respond to profile comments/personal messages in regards to troubleshooting my modifications. Please post on the public forums instead.

Baldur's Gate Trilogy-WeiDU and Mods
Throne of Bhaal Extender (TobEx)

Contributions: (NWN2) A Deathstalker (voice acting) - (IWD2) IWD2 NPC Project (soundset editing) - (Misc) SHS PC Soundsets (voice acting)
Legacy: (BG/Tutu/BGT) Beregost Crash Fixer 1.9 (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Enable conversations with charmed/dominated creatures (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Experience Corrections (18 Jul 10) - (Misc) Platform Conversion Utility RC2 (13 Feb 10)

#62 -grogerson-

-grogerson-

Posted 06 July 2005 - 05:57 AM

That is why the complete string was replaced in the old version with the simple SET BG1PATH=(BG1 location). I guess the same problem occured even then, and it was also specific to 98/98SE. This was necessary then, maybe now also.

Has this alteration already been tried? If not, I'm willing to be the guinnea (?) pig...

#63 -grogerson-

-grogerson-

Posted 06 July 2005 - 06:30 AM

Sorry for the double post but I just realized I don't know where to find the line, to replace it.

I have both beta1 and beta2 I can work with, with your permission and guidance of course (I'm an end user, not a programmer)...

#64 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 07:56 AM

Sorry for the double post but I just realized I don't know where to find the line, to replace it.

I have both beta1 and beta2 I can work with, with your permission and guidance of course (I'm an end user, not a programmer)...

View Post

If you use Win95/98/ME, replace the following lines in BGT-PreSetup.bat (in BGT\Language\English)

COPY CON Input > nul
FOR /F "delims=" %%v IN (Input) DO SET BG1PATH=%%v

with

SET BG1PATH=<whatever>

Also add

SET BG1PATH=<whatever>

to the top of BGT-Complete.bat (in BGT\Install)

This is a very rigid method because people will have to install to a specific location ON A SPECIFIC DRIVE, which is not good at all, although I could give them a choice using the CHOICE command.

And, be careful if you get the path wrong, you will cause an infinite loop.

Edited by Ascension64, 06 July 2005 - 07:57 AM.

--------------
Retired Modder
Note: I do not respond to profile comments/personal messages in regards to troubleshooting my modifications. Please post on the public forums instead.

Contributions: (NWN2) A Deathstalker (voice acting) - (IWD2) IWD2 NPC Project (soundset editing) - (Misc) SHS PC Soundsets (voice acting)
Legacy: (BG/Tutu/BGT) Beregost Crash Fixer 1.9 (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Enable conversations with charmed/dominated creatures (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Experience Corrections (18 Jul 10) - (Misc) Platform Conversion Utility RC2 (13 Feb 10)

#65 -grogerson-

-grogerson-

Posted 06 July 2005 - 08:14 AM

Thanks for the info. I'll let you know how it goes in the morning.

It may be rigid, but it at least allows the installation. In the meantime it gives you some breathing room to find a work-around, if possible.

#66 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 08:37 AM

grogerson and Cal, can you try the following script?

Rename BGT_PreSetup.txt to BGT-PreSetup.bat (don't forget _ to -)
Put BGT-PreSetup.bat in BGT\Language\English
Rename STRINGS.txt to STRINGS.COM and put in BGT\Install
Run and see if it works.

This attempts to draw on the functions of a batch program written in 1992 by Douglas Boley, an editor of the PC Magazine. This method doesn't work for Windows NT/2000/XP (don't know about ME, so I need a user to try) because of the way it sets variables, but it is supposed to work on Win9x OS'. Can you let me know how this one goes?

Edited by Ascension64, 06 July 2005 - 08:38 AM.

--------------
Retired Modder

#67 -grogerson-

-grogerson-

Posted 06 July 2005 - 10:53 AM

Thanks, Ascension64. I'll try it.

If it works, you'll have your work-around for 98/98SE.

I'll let you know how it works tomorrow.

#68 Madigan

Madigan
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 12:17 PM

First of all the work you guys have done here is phenominal, ive recently discovered the baldurs gate modding community and have been playing SoA-ToB-BP-TDD-SoS-TS-NeJ And CtB but have ran into many bugs using the original non-weidu files and i would like to re install with the new weidu versions, I have been reading thru the forums for a few hours to see if 1. Horreds new versions can be intalled with the patchs on his yahoo group site without BGT and 2. If so can NeJ and Ctb be added as well? Perhaps i missed it somewhere but there are so many versions it gets a bit confusing. Any help would be Appreciated
On an off topic Im a Modder myself and am creating a project from a different engine so my comprehension of these instructions is pretty thourough.

The Road To Allysium

Maybe this will help, this is what i wish to install with SoA/ToB

You are absolutely correct, because that is what the readme says. For everyone, here is a sample:

Extract TDD_weiduv1.zip to BGII directory
Extract TDDweidu1to2patch-fixed.zip to BGII directory (overwrite existing)
Install TDD
Extract SoS-WeiDUv102.rar to BGII directory
Install SoS (this actually doesn't work at the moment because of a parse error; see somewhere else in this forum)
Install TSv60 or above
Install NeJ v2.1b or above
Install BGT-WeiDU 0.99 BETA or above
Install BPv170 (this isn't released, but you don't have to have it)

Also, you can leave out ANY component (except for the TDD patch on TDD if you are using TDD) and still get a correct installation.

1.Can i leave out BGT-WeiDU 0.99 BETA?

2.Without BPv170 will each of these mods be stand alone or fully accessible in game?

These programs i would install on top of the files above, CTB And NeJ

3. Which version of NeJ is compatible? 1 or 2

4. Is CTB compatible? if so will the map with CTB screw up area Accessibility?

5. And final What do/dont you guys reccomend for mod additions?

Again, Any help would be Appreciated

-Mad

Edited by Madigan, 06 July 2005 - 12:40 PM.

#69 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 06:04 PM

1.Can i leave out BGT-WeiDU 0.99 BETA?

Yes.

2.Without BPv170 will each of these mods be stand alone or fully accessible in game?

Well, they technically speaking are all standalone anyway, but they also will be fully accessible.

3. Which version of NeJ is compatible? 1 or 2

Both.

4. Is CTB compatible? if so will the map with CTB screw up area Accessibility?

CtB is NOT compatible without some manual tweaking unfortunately. Not the map specifically, but area corruption abounds.

5. And final What do/dont you guys reccomend for mod additions?

Freedom's Reign, Reign of Virtue, and Yacomo's Revised Worldmap. You can try Ease-Of-Use but not all the components are compatible, and I would be careful with that. Personally, I would just use Worldmap because the Big Picture is huge already.

EDIT: Fixed a typo, so your quote's worked. That's what we English Majors are for. :P

Edited by horred the plague, 06 July 2005 - 08:48 PM.

--------------
Retired Modder

#70 Calantyr

Calantyr
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 July 2005 - 12:32 AM

Just gave that last idea a try. I get this error.

File not found - BGT\Install\STRINGS.COM
Bad command or file name

Then it terminates.

#71 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 07 July 2005 - 02:29 AM

Just gave that last idea a try. I get this error.

File not found - BGT\Install\STRINGS.COM
Bad command or file name

Then it terminates.

View Post

Well, did you "rename STRINGS.txt to STRINGS.COM and put it in BGT\Install"?
Otherwise, put STRINGS.COM into your BGII install directory and try that.

And remember, you can't just run BGT-PreSetup.bat and expect things to work. You must start from Setup-BGT-Prep.exe

Edited by Ascension64, 07 July 2005 - 03:59 AM.

--------------
Retired Modder

#72 -grogerson-

-grogerson-

Posted 07 July 2005 - 04:34 AM

Here's my update from last night - both methods no good.

Both methods installed the first part of the Setup-BGT-Prep, but terminated instead of asking for the BG1 location. I didn't see anything before termination, and the .debug and WeiDU.log files don't say anything either.

On the "SET BG1PATH=", do I put the command before or after the @ echo? I want to be sure I didn't mess that part up.

I also tried from the command prompt with no success, but it looked like it went straight to the exit command, but the command prompt window is too small to get much text. Will trying from a DOS window be any better on resolution (i.e. give me more text to look at)?

I noticed this morning that I have some extra ... stuff ... at the beginning of the BGT-Presetup file from yesterday's download, so I'll try again by copying the text to notepad, then saving as...

I will try again tonight with STRINGS.COM in both the \BGT\Install and the game install directories.

Anything else I can do in altering files to get you info on the install?

#73 Yacomo

Yacomo

cartographer of the realms

• 485 posts

Posted 07 July 2005 - 04:40 AM

I also tried from the command prompt with no success, but it looked like it went straight to the exit command, but the command prompt window is too small to get much text. Will trying from a DOS window be any better on resolution (i.e. give me more text to look at)?

View Post

In XP you can right click on the title of a DOS-box, select Properties, go to the Layout tab and then set screen buffer size (= history, maximum allowed is 9999 lines) and window size. I 'think' you can do this with Win98 as well.

#74 -grogerson-

-grogerson-

Posted 07 July 2005 - 06:13 AM

Thanks, Yacomo. I seem to recall 98/98SE having the same function in a DOS window (the older Ultima and Gold Box games will run through a DOS window). Don't know about a box through the "Run" function, though.

Any ideas on the 98/98SE syntax to get the prep file to run? I'm willing to try it (as long as it doesn't do bad things to my hardware... :P ).

#75 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 07 July 2005 - 08:07 AM

Anything else I can do in altering files to get you info on the install?

The only hint I have for debugging is remove the @echo off from the top of BGT-PreSetup.bat. If you want to skip the WeiDU part of the install, you can just copy BGT-PreSetup.bat into your BGII install directory, and if it works, then WeiDU will output lots of errors, but that's ok.

On the "SET BG1PATH=", do I put the command before or after the @ echo? I want to be sure I didn't mess that part up.

Well, you replace the COPY CON and FOR /F lines, so after the echo.

--------------
Retired Modder

#76 -grogerson-

-grogerson-

Posted 07 July 2005 - 08:36 AM

Sorry, Ascension64, I meant in the BGT install file, not the prep file. :blush:

#77 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 07 July 2005 - 08:57 AM

Sorry, Ascension64, I meant in the BGT install file, not the prep file. :blush:

View Post

Hmm, you have confused me? What filename is what you call 'the BGT install file'?

--------------
Retired Modder

#78 Madigan

Madigan
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 July 2005 - 09:15 AM

Thanks Ascension64, that helps tons, one more question and im off to BG.

. Which version of NeJ is compatible? 1 or 2

Both.

The NeJ2 on the site Dragon's Hoard says it is not compatible with bp and it doesnt specify whether it is weidu, it will still work? or is there a different version somewhere else?

#79 Arturcic

Arturcic
  • 119 posts

Posted 07 July 2005 - 09:35 AM

NEJ2 is Weidu, so it should be compatible with BGT-Weidu and all the other Weiduized versions of BP mods (TDD, SoS, DSotSC, etc.). The to-be-released BP v170 isn't nevessary for all those to work. So it's BP and not (as it was meant in the beginning). Some1 plz correct me if I'm wrong.
The original purpose of BP was to make TDD, SoS,e tc compatible with each other, but since there are Weidu versions of most of them, BP is now (in the Weidu environment) more of a "sauce" to add to the rest of the dish.
NEJ2 isn't compatible with the good-old-BP version.

#80 -grogerson-

-grogerson-

Posted 07 July 2005 - 10:38 AM

Sorry again, Ascension64. The BGT-Complete.bat file.

Though last night's attempts at the rigid method did not work, even getting that as a work-around would be helpful to those using 98/98SE.