BGT-WeiDU 0.99 BETA released!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
127 replies to this topic

#101 -grogerson-

-grogerson-

Posted 15 July 2005 - 06:16 AM

Other than me?

New motherboard, CPU and video card has made chaos of my 98SE install. :wacko:

As soon as both 98SE and XP are back to normal I'll let you know.

And, yes, I intend to get BGT-WeiDU in through 98SE with less ... trouble ... than last time.

It would be nice, however, for Lodgey, Calantyr, and anyone else installing through 98/98SE/ME to let us know what they encountered.

#102 lodgey

lodgey
  • 18 posts

Posted 15 July 2005 - 06:12 PM

Sorry I haven't posted in a while.

It seems I changed more that I thought I did when I modified the setup batch files that I refered to in my previous post. I deleted the commands that checked for the BGMain2.exe file.

I have tested Strings.com for you

The only test that gave me any errors was test 3:

TEST 3
Type in your BG1 directory without terminal slashes
(can have spaces and/or symbols) echo then press Enter.
c:\Program Files\Black Isle\Baldur's Gate
You typed in "c:\Program Files\Black Isle\Baldur's Gate".  Will now check for BG
Main2.exe...
Could not detect BGMain2.exe.  Test failed.
Bad command or file name
BGMain2.exe detected.  Test successful.
Bad command or file name
Press any key to continue . . .

on a related note:

>del test2\*.*
All files in directory will be deleted!
Are you sure (Y/N)?

I don't know how to get rid of the confirm when you try to delete all files in a directory. However, as was posted before:

>deltree /y test2
Deleting test2...

All output was cut&pasted directly from the DOS window.

#103 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 15 July 2005 - 11:53 PM

Sorry I haven't posted in a while.

It seems I changed more that I thought I did when I modified the setup batch files that I refered to in my previous post. I deleted the commands that checked for the BGMain2.exe file.

I have tested Strings.com for you

The only test that gave me any errors was test 3:

TEST 3
c:\Program Files\Black Isle\Baldur's Gate
You typed in "c:\Program Files\Black Isle\Baldur's Gate".  Will now check for BG
Main2.exe...
Could not detect BGMain2.exe.  Test failed.
Bad command or file name
Bad command or file name

on a related note:

>del test2\*.*
All files in directory will be deleted!
Are you sure (Y/N)?

I don't know how to get rid of the confirm when you try to delete all files in a directory. However, as was posted before:

>deltree /y test2
Deleting test2...

All output was cut&pasted directly from the DOS window.

View Post

Thanks. Looks like the multi-line IF statements are not working, even though STRINGS.COM DOES work. That means STRINGS.COM is the way to go.

However, deltree /y, however well it may work for you, DOES NOT work for WinXP/2000, so this is not good. But I guess I can >NUL all the commands so errors won't shows up, then have rd /s /q after deltree /y to support both types of OSs.

Edited by Ascension64, 16 July 2005 - 12:13 AM.

--------------
Retired Modder
Note: I do not respond to profile comments/personal messages in regards to troubleshooting my modifications. Please post on the public forums instead.

Baldur's Gate Trilogy-WeiDU and Mods
Throne of Bhaal Extender (TobEx)

Contributions: (NWN2) A Deathstalker (voice acting) - (IWD2) IWD2 NPC Project (soundset editing) - (Misc) SHS PC Soundsets (voice acting)
Legacy: (BG/Tutu/BGT) Beregost Crash Fixer 1.9 (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Enable conversations with charmed/dominated creatures (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Experience Corrections (18 Jul 10) - (Misc) Platform Conversion Utility RC2 (13 Feb 10)

#104 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 16 July 2005 - 12:11 AM

Sorry for double post, but I posted another STest.txt in the original location. Same instructions. This must work. :crying:

--------------
Retired Modder
Note: I do not respond to profile comments/personal messages in regards to troubleshooting my modifications. Please post on the public forums instead.

Contributions: (NWN2) A Deathstalker (voice acting) - (IWD2) IWD2 NPC Project (soundset editing) - (Misc) SHS PC Soundsets (voice acting)
Legacy: (BG/Tutu/BGT) Beregost Crash Fixer 1.9 (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Enable conversations with charmed/dominated creatures (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Experience Corrections (18 Jul 10) - (Misc) Platform Conversion Utility RC2 (13 Feb 10)

#105 lodgey

lodgey
  • 18 posts

Posted 16 July 2005 - 01:51 AM

Success:

TEST 3
C:\Program Files\Black Isle\Baldur's Gate
You typed in "C:\Program Files\Black Isle\Baldur's Gate".  Will now check for BG
Main2.exe...

as far as rd vs deltree is concerned, might I suggest two batch files

rd /s /q %1

and

deltree /y %1

rename one of these as DELDIR.BAT, depending on if I am running old windows or new windows, and the delete directory commands become:

deldir bg1cre
etc.

Note: I'm not sure the batch syntax is correct. I'm more familiar with the Unix shell, than with win98's rather poor equivalent.

#106 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 16 July 2005 - 07:30 PM

Success:

TEST 3
C:\Program Files\Black Isle\Baldur's Gate
You typed in "C:\Program Files\Black Isle\Baldur's Gate".  Will now check for BG
Main2.exe...

as far as rd vs deltree is concerned, might I suggest two batch files

rd /s /q %1

and

deltree /y %1

rename one of these as DELDIR.BAT, depending on if I am running old windows or new windows, and the delete directory commands become:

deldir bg1cre
etc.

Note: I'm not sure the batch syntax is correct. I'm more familiar with the Unix shell, than with win98's rather poor equivalent.

Excellent stuff. You have to use call deldir from a batch file to call other batch files, but I will try:
rd /s /q <dir> > NUL
deltree /y <dir> > NUL
one will produce an error that will be outputted to nowhere while the other one works. And if both commands are recognised, the second one will produce an error that will not be outputted either. Dodgy, but works.

--------------
Retired Modder

#107 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 17 July 2005 - 03:58 AM

BGT-WeiDU 0.99 BETA 3 uploaded to TheWizard. The purpose for releasing this before KD's souped-up version ( :P ) is mainly to ensure that the Win9x/ME installation works :crying: , so I really need feedback in those departments. Apart from that, a number of major fixes are included, particularly the 'Keeper of the Portal can't recognise the book' bug. Also, FDP=1 is now not required, which hopefully will make some people happy. Post bugs here.

Finally, the changed iron shortage shattering system means that old savegames are made incompatible, and thus you MUST start a new game if you intend to install this. Otherwise, enjoy! :D

Version 0.99 BETA 2 (1 Jul 05) and BETA 3 (17 Jul 05)

Installation changes
- Corrected the patch of ELDOTH.BCS that was previously not working for some weird reason
- Corrected link to readme file at the end of the WeiDU installation
- Fixed a critical bug that prevented installation on Windows 9x, ME, and NT systems
- Fixed a critical bug that prevented proper removal of temporary files on Windows 9x, ME, and NT systems
- Fixed a critical bug that prevented WeiDU installation because the extraction program did not create an empty Backup folder
- Removed the requirement of adding 'Force Dialog Pause=1' to baldur.ini
- Several code optimisations
- Updated developer?s documentation
- Updated Installation and FAQ section of readme

Bug fixes
- Added missing Dungeon movie
- Fixed a bug that broke the quest in which the party is hired by Garrick to help Silke
- Fixed a bug where the general store in Baldur?s Gate South-East (AR8202.ARE) would not spawn a shopkeeper
- Fixed a bug where a chest in a Cloakwood Mines area shack would spawn Flaming Fist Enforcers when opened
- Fixed a bug where a journal entry would not be correctly removed upon transition to Shadows of Amn
- Fixed a bug where Bentha and Zordral would not spawn correctly in one of the carnival tents
- Fixed a bug where Drizzt could kill all the gnolls even when the player has not met him yet
- Fixed a bug where gibberlings would not spawn in the tutorial combat training
- Fixed a bug where Imoen could appear twice in Spellhold
- Fixed a bug where Kivan may join the party and start his bandits quest even when the player refuses
- Fixed a bug where Nimbul could appear in a random encounter area
- Fixed a bug where talking to Minsc with a high reaction would result in an UNKNOWN STRINGS WANTED text
- Fixed a bug where talking to Brandilar could give incorrect journal entries
- Fixed a bug where Tamah could mysteriously become hostile when petrified
- Fixed a bug where the Ring of Wizardry did not appear in the secret rock in the Friendly Arm Inn (AR6800.ARE)
- Fixed a bug with Delthyr?s dialogue
- Fixed a critical bug where travelling back to Candlekeep after receiving the quest from Duke Eltan would not result in the incrementation of chapters
- Fixed an exploit with selling ankheg shells
- Some minor bug fixes

Gameplay changes
- Altered credits
- Corrected a number of world map icon descriptions
- Imoen now is transferred to Spellhold if she was in the party during the transition from Baldur?s Gate to Shadows of Amn
- Iron shortage shattering chance increased to 5% and uses a local variable based system
- Kivan now stays in the party up to thirty days if the player has not found Tazok?s letters
- Thieves from the Thieves? Guild will now only ask the player once for the password and will remember if the password was correct
- Shields now shatter when a player is hit
- Weapons now have a chance to shatter only when the player hits something

--------------
Retired Modder

#108 -Rick Van Prim-

-Rick Van Prim-

Posted 17 July 2005 - 02:36 PM

If it's solely the change to the iron shattering thing that makes old save games incompatible, could you make the iron shattering part an optional install, so that we can get all those bug fixes without having to start over?

#109 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 17 July 2005 - 06:47 PM

If it's solely the change to the iron shattering thing that makes old save games incompatible, could you make the iron shattering part an optional install, so that we can get all those bug fixes without having to start over?

No, that won't work either. The main differences that make savegames incompatible are two-fold. Firstly, the file BrokArmr.ITM has been removed because an identical one exists in MISC57.ITM. This will cause savegames in which ANY piece of armor has shattered to crash, either when you load the game, or when you go into an area where you dropped the broken piece of armor, due to the missing resource. Secondly, the shield shattering component adds an extra string in the middle of all the StrRefs that are added to dialog.tlk. This causes what I call 'StringShift' in which all the dialogue strings after this extra string are incremented by one StrRef number, screwing up all references after that. The effect isn't actually that bad (game-stopping), but all your journal entries have a major chance of being screwed up because this extra string is patched early in the installation. Making the shattering optional will not work because I would have to ensure the integrity of the other strings related to shattering weapons and armour, which simply is a downgrading of coding and messes things up entirely.

I should also add that some of the typo fixes made in the .tp2 file may cause WeiDU to append strings to dialog.tlk a little differently than before, which could also screw up savegames.

Finally, I should say that if a piece of armor has not shattered, then all you are going to see in a previous savegame is screwed up journal entries, and possibly wonky worldmap names, and if you don't mind these, then I say 'go with your heart's delight and play your old savegame'.

Edited by Ascension64, 17 July 2005 - 06:50 PM.

--------------
Retired Modder

#110 -grogerson-

-grogerson-

Posted 18 July 2005 - 04:52 AM

Alright!!! Some help at the wall!!! Thank you lodgey!!!

I just managed to get my systems (XP & 98SE) functioning again last night, and I find a new Beta up this morning. Thank you Ascension64, I'll try it when I get home. If it doesn't work I'll also run the STest.bat as well. Either way, you should hear from me in the morning.

On a side note, I like the new smilies. Pity I apparently can't use 'em...

#111 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 18 July 2005 - 04:59 AM

Yup, BETA 3 is now on the servers.

*crosses his fingers* :wacko:

Also, just received KD's fixed 99, so things are cruising concorde here.

Edited by Ascension64, 18 July 2005 - 05:01 AM.

--------------
Retired Modder

#112 lodgey

lodgey
  • 18 posts

Posted 18 July 2005 - 06:21 AM

Well done Ascension64.

I have successfully installed beta 3 on a new patched installation of BG2:SOA & TOB. No fancy editing of batch files, and no big list of temporary directories left over during the installation.

Running Win 98SE.

#113 Pseudospawn

Pseudospawn
  • 33 posts

Posted 18 July 2005 - 07:24 AM

....no further change for the opening music?

how much longer will i be tormented by 'The Cardigans'!?!?!

#114 Vlad

Vlad
  • 577 posts

Posted 18 July 2005 - 08:15 AM

Why is 'favourite game' startup music for the game and how can i change/remove it??

no further change for the opening music?

how much longer will i be tormented by 'The Cardigans'!?!?!

I ask you kindly to remove NeJ2 from your installation.

#115 Pseudospawn

Pseudospawn
  • 33 posts

Posted 18 July 2005 - 09:20 AM

Suggestion noted and disregarded since you need NEJ2 for bp-bgt-weidu.

is there a practical way i could fix it and restore the orginal game music?

Edited by Pseudospawn, 18 July 2005 - 09:21 AM.

#116 Vlad

Vlad
  • 577 posts

Posted 18 July 2005 - 09:41 AM

...since you need NEJ2 for bp-bgt-weidu

No, you need NeJ2 neither for BGT nor for BP.

#117 Pseudospawn

Pseudospawn
  • 33 posts

Posted 18 July 2005 - 09:51 AM

From BGTReadme.htm

BP-BGT-WeiDU is defined as the installation of TDD-WeiDU, SoS-WeiDU, TS, and NeJ2

#118 NiGHTMARE

NiGHTMARE
  • 2328 posts

Posted 18 July 2005 - 10:08 AM

The exact same readme also states:

Do I have to install every single component of BP-BGT-WeiDU to be able to play, or can I just install bits and pieces?

You can just install bits and pieces.  BP-BGT-WeiDU is defined as the installation of TDD-WeiDU, SoS-WeiDU, TS, and NeJ2 (and possibly BP as well).  Therefore you can install any part of BP-BGT-WeiDU, for example, TDD-WeiDU, then BGT-WeiDU, then TS, and it will work fine.  But please note that this is NOT referred to as a BP-BGT-WeiDU installation by definition.

Incidentally, there's a slight mistake elsewhere in the readme:

How does Baldur?s Gate Trilogy fit in with other modifications for Baldur?s Gate II out there?

Bardez?s Baldur?s Gate Trilogy, BGT_MK3_112, became incorporated with the mega-modification known as The Big Picture, which combines a number of large modifications for Baldur?s Gate II (namely The Darkest Day, Shadows over Soubar, and Never Ending Journey Part I)

That should be Tortured Souls rather than NeJ1.

#119 Pseudospawn

Pseudospawn
  • 33 posts

Posted 18 July 2005 - 10:17 AM

As much as i appreciate Vlad & knightmare's interjections is there a way to remove the music or alter the install so that it doesn't appear in the firstplace?

#120 cujo

cujo
  • 216 posts

Posted 19 July 2005 - 12:41 AM

As much as i appreciate Vlad & knightmare's interjections is there a way to remove the music or alter the install so that it doesn't appear in the firstplace?

View Post

If it is only the opening music that annoys you, turn off your speakers and turn them back on when you are in the game. That way the opening music is gone.