CTD after Gorion Cutscene

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 -Nummie-

-Nummie-

Posted 21 February 2007 - 06:39 AM

Hi everyone!

Yesterday I was out checking in some stores, and I saw this Baldur's Gate compilation for basicly.. nothing. Now I already had all the games, but the CDs are starting to run on their last spin :P So I bought it.

Anyways, with the game in hand I decided to start all over and run the story from scratch to end, so I found BGT (never tried it before, mind you).

Clean install of the games (with all the options), patched to 26498 ToB, installed BGT.

Then I crash right after the first cutscene with Gorion when we're about to leave Candlekeep. Get up the area loading screen, then a nice windows sound and crash :P

I tried reinstalling everything, several times actually - thinking I forgot something, but nope - done it all according to http://mirror.spellh...ionInstructions

Still dosen't work :/

Tried searching for topic with the same problem, found a half one with no answer at all to it, so sorry if it's been brought up before, but this is why :)

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks!

#2 OldVeteran

OldVeteran
  • 168 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 10:22 AM

Did you patch your BG1 too though? Or was the patch already auto-installed with your compilation? (do check)

Also, post your WeiDU log...
--GhostNWN

#3 -Lathaon-

-Lathaon-

Posted 16 May 2009 - 01:05 AM

I just got the same problem this morning (decided I didn't like my character :rolleyes: ), but it worked yesterday.

Anyway, what I found was that it crashes if you say "I'm ready to go right now" as soon as you talk to him.

When I asked a couple of questions beforehand, it worked fine.

#4 Leomar

Leomar
  • 1720 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 04:30 PM

Only to let you know:

The same CTD was reported in the German forum by other gamers last year, too. It were solved if you reload and try the cutscene again and again. Why it happens we couldn't find out. Since then, we have no more heard of this CTD. Perhaps it is a very rare issue.

Greetings Leomar
A Megamod does not mean that you can play all of the mods or all of their content,
but you have more choices or paths through the game.
- Chevalier

BiG World Project - Big Baldur's Gate World

#5 -Canofbier-

-Canofbier-

Posted 05 June 2009 - 11:00 AM

Only to let you know:

The same CTD was reported in the German forum by other gamers last year, too. It were solved if you reload and try the cutscene again and again. Why it happens we couldn't find out. Since then, we have no more heard of this CTD. Perhaps it is a very rare issue.

Greetings Leomar

Hey, I've been having this problem too, and trying to go through the cutscene over and over again doesn't seem to work. Gorion always gets through the first syllable of the word 'ambush' and then I get a CTD. I also tried asking him a few questions before telling him I was ready to go, and that doesn't seem to work either. Here's my WeiDU log:

// Log of Currently Installed WeiDU Mods
// The top of the file is the 'oldest' mod
// ~TP2_File~ #language_number #component_number // [Subcomponent Name -> ] Component Name [ : Version]
~SETUP-BGT.TP2~ #0 #0 // Baldur's Gate Trilogy - Core: 1.07
~SETUP-BGTMUSIC.TP2~ #0 #1 // Baldur's Gate Trilogy - Music -> Hybrid Baldur's Gate/Shadows of Amn/Throne of Bhaal Music

#6 -Canofbier-

-Canofbier-

Posted 05 June 2009 - 11:19 AM

It may be worth noting (based on what I've read in other posts) that I hadn't started a game or played before I installed the mod.

#7 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 05:36 PM

Does Windows generate a crash report? It would be helpful if someone could tell me the module name that crashes and the offset at which it crashes.

--------------
Retired Modder
Note: I do not respond to profile comments/personal messages in regards to troubleshooting my modifications. Please post on the public forums instead.

Baldur's Gate Trilogy-WeiDU and Mods
Throne of Bhaal Extender (TobEx)

Contributions: (NWN2) A Deathstalker (voice acting) - (IWD2) IWD2 NPC Project (soundset editing) - (Misc) SHS PC Soundsets (voice acting)
Legacy: (BG/Tutu/BGT) Beregost Crash Fixer 1.9 (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Enable conversations with charmed/dominated creatures (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Experience Corrections (18 Jul 10) - (Misc) Platform Conversion Utility RC2 (13 Feb 10)

#8 Leomar

Leomar
  • 1720 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 05:38 PM

It may be worth noting (based on what I've read in other posts) that I hadn't started a game or played before I installed the mod.

O.K., that could be a possibility. Can you test something? Uninstall BGT-Music and try again to leave Candlekeep. After that you can without problems install BGT-Music again.

Greetings Leomar
A Megamod does not mean that you can play all of the mods or all of their content,
- Chevalier

#9 Leomar

Leomar
  • 1720 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 05:45 PM

Does Windows generate a crash report? It would be helpful if someone could tell me the module name that crashes and the offset at which it crashes.

Last year in the German forum there were no errorlogs created.

Guest, could you open in the BG2 main directory the baldur.ini with a text-editor like notepad and insert under [Program Option]
Logging On=1
then save and reproduce the crash?
After the crash you will have a baldur.err in the BG2 main directory. Please post the content of it here.

Greetings Leomar
- Chevalier

#10 -Canofbier-

-Canofbier-

Posted 05 June 2009 - 07:01 PM

Last year in the German forum there were no errorlogs created.

Guest, could you open in the BG2 main directory the baldur.ini with a text-editor like notepad and insert under [Program Option]
Logging On=1
then save and reproduce the crash?
After the crash you will have a baldur.err in the BG2 main directory. Please post the content of it here.

Greetings Leomar

Thank you both for your quick responses. I tried uninstalling the music and leaving again, but unfortunately the same error occurred. After editing baldur.ini as you suggested, the error log produced read:

Start Logging Session---------------------

ASSERTION FAILED!
File: ObjCreature.cpp
Line: 12381

Exp: creatureSize == 0

Msg: no msg.
Run Debugger?

Any idea what this means?

#11 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 03:11 AM

Hey, I've been having this problem too, and trying to go through the cutscene over and over again doesn't seem to work. Gorion always gets through the first syllable of the word 'ambush' and then I get a CTD.

My guess is it doesn't like something about this in ch1cut02.bcs:
VerbalConstant(Myself,BATTLE_CRY)
StartMusic(93,QUICK_FADE)
Wait(3)
CreateCreature("M05PCspy",[3150.1440],1) //No such index
There is a m05pcspy (invisible .cre) but I've no idea what purpose it's supposed to serve here. It isn't in Tutu or BG1, and it's a bit suspicious the game crashes 3 seconds after Gorion speaks his BATTLE_CRY line ("Wait! There is something wrong. We are in an ambush. Prepare yourself!"). It has an Avatar Removal affect, which also disables its scripting according to DLTCEP, so it seems a bit pointless. Could also be the music I suppose, which doesn't appear to be a valid entry in ar6600.are, but the assertion error seems to refer to a CRE.

Edit: the slots on m05pcspy.cre are majorly messed up. Load it in DLTCEP and do a Check Creature to see what I mean ("Invalid equipped weapon index:65535-slot_misc19 (should be 0-3 or 1000)"). It's not as apparent in NI. I'd put pretty good money on this being the problem, since it seems at least vaguely similar to the only other references I could find to the assertion error here and here.

Edited by Miloch, 06 June 2009 - 03:20 AM.

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#12 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 04:59 AM

The spy creature usually eliminates the fog of war to allow the modder to control what can be seen during a cutscene. The creature comes with vanilla BG2, so it shouldn't be a problem unless some other mod changes it. The issue of the equipped index being -1 shouldn't matter, since the engine will default it to 0 on an invalid slot.

--------------
Retired Modder
Note: I do not respond to profile comments/personal messages in regards to troubleshooting my modifications. Please post on the public forums instead.

Contributions: (NWN2) A Deathstalker (voice acting) - (IWD2) IWD2 NPC Project (soundset editing) - (Misc) SHS PC Soundsets (voice acting)
Legacy: (BG/Tutu/BGT) Beregost Crash Fixer 1.9 (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Enable conversations with charmed/dominated creatures (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Experience Corrections (18 Jul 10) - (Misc) Platform Conversion Utility RC2 (13 Feb 10)

#13 -Canofbier-

-Canofbier-

Posted 06 June 2009 - 08:00 AM

I see...what do you suggest that I do to fix this? I'm completely new with this game (and most coding, for that matter), so whatever advice you could give me would be great! :Bow:

#14 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 01:20 PM

The issue of the equipped index being -1 shouldn't matter, since the engine will default it to 0 on an invalid slot.

Maybe, but the engine is known for being fussy on some people's platforms. It also has Imoen's belt in its amulet slot, for what that's worth.

I see...what do you suggest that I do to fix this?

Try putting this in your override folder then try the cutscene again.
Attached File  m05pcspy.cre   1.86K   289 downloads
If that doesn't work, then try putting this in your override folder, but don't do that unless the above doesn't work.
Attached File  ch1cut02.bcs   2.83K   256 downloads

Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#15 -Canofbier-

-Canofbier-

Posted 06 June 2009 - 08:14 PM

The issue of the equipped index being -1 shouldn't matter, since the engine will default it to 0 on an invalid slot.

Maybe, but the engine is known for being fussy on some people's platforms. It also has Imoen's belt in its amulet slot, for what that's worth.

I see...what do you suggest that I do to fix this?

Try putting this in your override folder then try the cutscene again.
Attached File  m05pcspy.cre   1.86K   289 downloads
If that doesn't work, then try putting this in your override folder, but don't do that unless the above doesn't work.
Attached File  ch1cut02.bcs   2.83K   256 downloads

The first file resulted in no change, sadly. The second caused the scene to begin without Gorion or any dialogue and showed my character standing still for a few seconds, then the game crashed. Bummer! :crying:

#16 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 10:30 PM

Bummer! :crying:

Indeed. Well I can't think of anything else but to try what Leomar suggested:

Uninstall BGT-Music and try again to leave Candlekeep.

I would also start a new game after that to make sure your save didn't get corrupted or something. If it still happens, at least we will know it seems to be something in BGT core. Delete those two files from the override first.

If it's still a problem, you might want to zip your saved game and attach it here or upload it somewhere, so Ascension64 or someone can try to reproduce it with the same save.

#17 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 03:08 AM

If it's still a problem, you might want to zip your saved game and attach it here or upload it somewhere, so Ascension64 or someone can try to reproduce it with the same save.

Yes, that would be useful, thank you.

--------------
Retired Modder

#18 -Canofbier-

-Canofbier-

Posted 07 June 2009 - 08:11 AM

Yes, that would be useful, thank you.

Tried disabling the music earlier, it had no effect. Thank you all for investing your time into trying to help me resolve this problem; it's a lot of work to put in for some guest poster on the forum, and I really appreciate it! :cheers:

I registered so that I could post the save file as an attachment, but it doesn't look like the system has figured it out yet. I'll try again in a little bit.

#19 -Canofbier-

-Canofbier-

Posted 08 June 2009 - 07:41 AM

Well, the registration doesn't seem to want to work, so I just uploaded the save file to mediafire instead. Here's the link:

Save File

Oh, and to try and see if there was something wrong with the save file I started a new game and tried to pass the cutscene, and get the same exact crash.

#20 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 01:31 PM

Hey Canofbier, what went wrong when you tried to register? I'd be happy to help you out. :)