• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#41 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 10:13 PM

Great work, flysoup! :woot:

Did you really draw the portrait yourself? :Bow: It's frickin awesome. Very very dark though...

The full body pic makes him look like a hun. Barbarians 4TW!
I adore his female form. ^__^ That sword looks like it's been used a LOT.

Aight, I drew the portrait myself, I actually used a image from one of the comic panels in my bg tob final fight comic
and colorized it with new and darker colors/contrast.

It might be a bit to dark but blame my inner dancing demon's for that one :twisted: but I was inspired by Rembrants
old paintings at that moment with their dark vs light contrast.

I'd like to comment that many of Rembrandt's paintings only got so dark over the years, be it due to hanging in smoky rooms, or dulling of the varnish and things like that. The painting usually referred to as "Night Watch" (the real title is something different, and longer, and does not refer to night at all), actually depicts a scene that takes place in broad daylight, and just *looks* as if it's night because the colours darkened over the years.

- :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

True, oil paintings does change over the years. The period that I meant was when details no longer mattered in his paintings and that he played more on the contrast between the light vs darkness (shadows).

That can also be seen in my Abdel example, the lack of details.

By all the glorious fantasy nerds out there how can an Abdel topic turn into a Rembrant topic?

I know what you mean. There was a Rembrandt exhibition in Frankfurt a few years ago, and it was very interesting how the older paintings differed from the younger ones. Also, there was this one where three guys are watching the scene from the bushes to the right, only the third one is very well hidden. They had to position an extra guard beside the thing, because people repeatedly leant over the line drawn on the ground behind which you had to stand so the picture would not be damaged. They were very understanding, because everyone was simply looking for that third guy in the bushes. But we must have looked pretty silly, leaning forward trying to get a closer look but trying not to cross the line accidentally inn the process. :lol:

Oh, and I forgot to say, I think your portrait of Abdel is pretty nice. :)

And yes, this gradual change from *THAT* topic to this one is kind of creepy. I wonder what Rembrandt would think of it. :blink:

- :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Hehe must have looked silly indeed. I also have an odd experience from a exhibition in Finland. It was the time when I was excessively fascinated by the Finnish painter Helene Schjerfbeck. And when i stood in front of her painting in the exhibition hall then I just had to touch it...

The alarm was activated and I had to sneak out and missed out on the rest of the exhibition.

I was pretty nervous when I passed a Finnish guard that was heading to the location where the paining were.

I survived without scars and will never be that silly again. :wacko:

Yeah, let's build a pyramid!!! Now as a reference, you could have cut this thing a little like say; when you are quoting, well yourself...

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#42 flysoup

flysoup
  • 510 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 11:07 PM

Well I guess I get it from your pedagogic mega sized letters ... :blink:
Still the pyramid of quotes looked pretty cool, an abstract piece of art.

Well enough, let's head back to the main issue Abdel? Or maybe we are done with him...
"Chef of Goblin Pies"

#43 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 12:06 AM

I'd rather talk about your portraits of Abdel than Abdel himself for a moment, unless you object. The warm darkness of the hair and background do set off his features rather nicely, and I can definitely see a hint of Rembrandt in the palette.

Oddly enough, Rembrandt's technique is well-suited to a digital medium: he worked his paintings up in layers, sometimes obliterating the layers beneath, sometimes building them up. He seems to have preferred to use a thin earth-based pigment (like burnt sienna) to outline on the primed substrate, then paint the first layer in grayscale. XRay and InfraRed scans of his paintings are fascinating.

Blame my cousin for these ruminations. She is a professional artist, and insisted that studying the masters would somehow magically bestow artistic ability. It didn't work, of course, but it's fun to know how Rembrandt, Titian, etc. made their masterpieces.

"Imagination is given to man to console him for what he is not; a sense of humor, for what he is." - Oscar Wilde

berelinde's mods
TolkienAcrossTheWater website
TolkienAcrossTheWater Forum

#44 flysoup

flysoup
  • 510 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 12:52 PM

I'd rather talk about your portraits of Abdel than Abdel himself for a moment, unless you object. The warm darkness of the hair and background do set off his features rather nicely, and I can definitely see a hint of Rembrandt in the palette.

Oddly enough, Rembrandt's technique is well-suited to a digital medium: he worked his paintings up in layers, sometimes obliterating the layers beneath, sometimes building them up. He seems to have preferred to use a thin earth-based pigment (like burnt sienna) to outline on the primed substrate, then paint the first layer in grayscale. XRay and InfraRed scans of his paintings are fascinating.

Blame my cousin for these ruminations. She is a professional artist, and insisted that studying the masters would somehow magically bestow artistic ability. It didn't work, of course, but it's fun to know how Rembrandt, Titian, etc. made their masterpieces.

You know your art history :D

I went though an art school years ago but I didn't really suck up any knowledge since I was to busy revolting against the teacher. I had the attitude that the techniques wasn't so important rather the feeling.

Though now I understand that they can go hand in hand. Also that anyone can be taught to be an artist, it's all about hard work rather than having a talent. A "talent" helps but if you don't put hard work into it then the talent is useless and the one without talent though with the will to work hard will achieve far more.

To bad I am lazy and being addicted to this game doesn't help my drawing skills since I keep playing it over and over again rather than drawing.

Well here is Abdel with some more work put into it to work better as a bg portrait and getting closer visually as a brother of Sarevok. (Not completed yet but I am getting there...)

Abdel_Char.jpg

Edited by flysoup, 03 March 2008 - 12:53 PM.

"Chef of Goblin Pies"

#45 flysoup

flysoup
  • 510 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 04:44 AM

Further into the work of the Abdel portrait, he is starting to come alive, the favorite hate character of you all. I seem to be the only one that thinks Abdel works as a Bhaalspawn and protagonist :blink:

Abdel_Char.jpg

Here are the portrait files if you want to play as Abdel in your game using the above portrait.

Attached File  abdeL.bmp   55.17K   525 downloads
Attached File  abdeS.bmp   6.85K   528 downloads

Edited by flysoup, 10 March 2008 - 03:23 PM.

"Chef of Goblin Pies"

#46 leahnkain

leahnkain
  • Modder
  • 7658 posts

Donator

Posted 04 March 2008 - 05:27 AM

If I wasn't so busy with Classic Adventures, I would write a mod featuring him. You have brought him to life. I think he would make a fine addition as an add on NPC.

Longing for the old pen and paper modules of the 70's and 80's. Experience AD&D's greatest adventures using the infinity engine: Visit our homepage at http://classicadventuresmod.com/

#47 WeeRLegion

WeeRLegion

TFP : D

• 2925 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 01:38 PM

o-o

Well, who cares about Abdel... That portrait on the other hand, damn, really neat work there, looking really baldurish, thumbs up. ^^

#48 Illidan

Illidan
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 10:26 AM

Fantastic work flysoup, I am pleased that this topic would lead eventually :cheers:

#49 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 08:59 PM

All I wondered (again) was if there were any known written stats and abilities fro the character Abdel, except from speculations about his character in the novel or the game pre-made ones.

Nevermind, the reason I was wondering is because I was thinking of making a bg fan comic starting from the beginning of Candlekeep, not based on the novel though more on the game and my own ideas.

You can see the first page at flysoup's art corner:
http://www.shsforums...mp;#entry378952

There is a full profile, including stats, portrait, etc. for Abdel in one of the Dragons - same place I got Tamoko's profile. I'll try to dig it out and scan it, if you really want it.

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#50 flysoup

flysoup
  • 510 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 05:04 AM

[/quote]There is a full profile, including stats, portrait, etc. for Abdel in one of the Dragons - same place I got [url="http://forums.gibberlings3.net/index.php?s=&showtopic=12533&view=findpost&p=107780"]Tamoko's profile[/url]. I'll try to dig it out and scan it, if you really want it.
[/quote]

I would really appreciate that. Many thanks in advance.
"Chef of Goblin Pies"

#51 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 07:59 AM

Ok, here it is. You got his stats close, but he has a low CHA after all. And a 19 STR, not even 18/##. (How does he get that as a human without any special items or tomes? He's a Bhaalspawn, I guess... Maybe he had an orcish mother or something...)

Your portrait is loads better, and still fits his description as given here.

Abdel Adrian
7th-Level Human Fighter

STRENGTH - 19
DEXTERITY - 16
CONSTITUTION - 18
INTELLIGENCE - 10
WISDOM - 9
CHARISMA - 7

AC - 3
THAC0 - 10
HIT POINTS - 82
ALIGNMENT - Chaotic neutral
SPECIAL ATTACKS - Murderous frenzy
SPECIAL DEFENSES - Nil
SIZE - M (6'10")

Nonweapon Proficiencies: Endurance (18), Reading/Writing (11), Swimming (19), Land-based Riding (12), Running (13)

Weapon Proficiencies: Broadsword (specialized), Dagger, Club, Long bow, Battle-ax

Appearance: Nearly 7 feet tall, Abdel is a huge, imposing man of almost 350 lbs., and opponents are usually surprised by his speed and agility. Abdel keeps his dark hair long and his face shaved. His dark eyes are always moving, scanning for any threat, and his skin is sun-bronzed, though he was born of fair, northern stock. Abdel never wears jewelry nor anything like a uniform. He dresses plainly, rarely taking off his simple chainmail tunic. He carries a small pouch containing a few coins, flint and steel, and little more. Abdel wears his sword strapped to his back and his dagger in a belt sheath.
Posted Image

Magical Items: Abdel owns a finely crafted silver dagger with a wide, heavy blade presented to him as a coming-of-age gift by his foster father. This dagger +2 is Abdel's most prized possession, even though he has no idea the blade is magical.

Background: Abdel's full name translates from ancient Netherese as "Son of the Dark." This is an appropriate name for a son of Bhaal, the god of murder.

Abdel was born in the Year of the Boot (1343 DR). As an infant, Abdel was rescued from a cult of Deathstalkers by an order of paladins, the Hands of the Loyal Fury. Though the order had intended to kill the unholy spawn, Sir Daesric the Pious simply didn't have it in him to slay an infant. Unwilling to take Abdel into the care of his holy order, Daesric called on an old friend, a priest of Oghma, to raise the child.

Gorion was reluctant at first to take in this strange orphan, but Daesric persuaded him that the child might escape his father's dark legacy if he were raised in the library-fortress of Candlekeep. As Gorion raised Abdel as his own son, the paladins tracked the child's progress, watching for the faintest sign of innate evil. When Bhaal was killed in the Time of Troubles, the paladins lost interest in his offspring.

Abdel grew up with almost superhuman strength and a natural affinity for combat. Gorion tried to educate him as a monk, but Abdel was too independent for that life. He longed for the life of a sellsword. On his seventeenth birthday, a cool autumn day in the Year of the Turret (1360 DR), Abdel bid his foster father good-bye.

Abdel has spent the last eight years traveling up and down the Sword Coast guarding caravans and ships or fighting in any of dozens of petty skirmishes and squabbles between the powerful realms that sprinkle the coast.

Roleplaying Notes: Abdel doesn't realize why he feels best when locked in mortal combat, because Gorion never told him of his true parentage.

Abdel often comes across as sullen and humorless. He is slow to trust and is extremely cynical for his age. Abdel sees people as petty, corruptible, and selfish.

Bhaal's blood energizes Abdel in a fight. Once he makes his first kill, he enters a murderous frenzy that grants him a cumulative + 1 attack and damage bonus and a -1 initiative bonus for each opponent he slays. Those facing Abdel in this state must make saving throws vs. petrification or suffer a -1 penalty to attack and damage rolls and a + 1 penalty to initiative.

Abdel backs down from a fight only in the most extreme circumstances. If Jaheira is with him, Abdel gains a saving throw vs. petrification to avoid his murderous frenzy.

-From Dragon #262

I like that last bit. Jaheira being with me is enough to drive me into a murderous frenzy, not talk me out of it (I'm guessing that's what that's supposed to mean).

Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#52 flysoup

flysoup
  • 510 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 02:27 PM

Thanks Miloch!

Interesting reading and I really agree with your opinion on Jaheira, she is at my first place of annoying npc's followed by Imoen.

I almost see a npc coming out from all this. Maybe a small cutscene at the beginning of Bg1 showing when Abdel leaves Gorion at the age of 17. Then the protagonist (CHARNAME) could encounter Abdel later on in the game.

I will use the information you shared as inspiration to the Baldur's Gate fan comic I am working on. Though I wonder what they mean with Char 7, I guess it is due to his attitude. But visually I have understood it the way that he is a "babe magnet".

Glad to hear that you think the portrait I made works as Abdel also.

Thanks again for filling me in on Abdel :cheers:
"Chef of Goblin Pies"

#53 RedTyga

RedTyga
  • 102 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 03:11 PM

Your portrait is better for how they describe him. I mean, wtf, they describe him as humorless and sullen, but he's smiling all sweetly in his portrait :\

#54 flysoup

flysoup
  • 510 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 04:36 PM

Your portrait is better for how they describe him. I mean, wtf, they describe him as humorless and sullen, but he's smiling all sweetly in his portrait :\

I thank you for thinking so, I focused on Abdel's characteristics and attitude when i made his portrait.

Just colorized another portrait of how Abdel might have looked if he never left Candlekeep working as a sellsword.
What if he stayed and focused on the books and the lore of sorcery. (Also if he wasn't a beefcake...)

I came up with this one, though in the end it almost looked like Jesus the Christ.

Well I decided that I might play through the Baldur's Gate Trilogy again and I am going to play as a sorcerer with this portrait.
Bye to social life and everything else...hmmm maybe I shouldn't play it after all, I have enough going on about this game as it is already.

Here he is Abdel as a monk/sorcerer. (I just had to paint the bg scull logo as a necklage symbol since I think that it symbolize the Bhaalspawn perfectly.)

abdel_monk.jpg

Edited by flysoup, 07 March 2008 - 04:48 PM.

"Chef of Goblin Pies"

#55 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 09:03 PM

I almost see a npc coming out from all this. Maybe a small cutscene at the beginning of Bg1 showing when Abdel leaves Gorion at the age of 17. Then the protagonist (CHARNAME) could encounter Abdel later on in the game.

I think that might work, actually. He did leave Candlekeep some 8 years before the PC, so the PC might have vague memories of him as a sort of older foster brother. Apparently, Gorion acts as some sort of shelter for orphaned Bhaalspawn, but that obviously isn't common knowledge.

Your second portrait looks a little too elongated, but I guess if he's almost 7' tall and didn't spend his youth putting on muscle, maybe he would look like that :D.

Edited by Miloch, 07 March 2008 - 09:04 PM.

#56 flysoup

flysoup
  • 510 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 12:54 AM

Indeed he looks a bit to elegant, but it is Abdel in the parallel Forgotten Realms universe 8)
"Chef of Goblin Pies"

#57 -DT-

-DT-

Posted 25 February 2009 - 02:08 PM

Indeed he looks a bit to elegant, but it is Abdel in the parallel Forgotten Realms universe 8)

Very cool!!
I am also interested in what Abdel would look like