#21 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 12:45 PM

STR, CON, CHA: 25
INT, WIS: 0

"The righteous need not cower before the drumbeat of human progress. Though the song of yesterday fades into the challenge of tomorrow, God still watches and judges us. Evil lurks in the datalinks as it lurked in the streets of yesterday, but it was never the streets that were evil." - Sister Miriam Godwinson, Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri

#22 Choo Choo

Choo Choo

AIR CONDITIONER GRILL

• Modder
  • 3001 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 12:54 PM

STR: 25
DEX: 25
CON: 25
INT: 0
WIS: 0
CHA: 0

If I'm allowed to make a guess.

theacefes: You have to be realistic as well, you can't just be Swedish!

#23 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 12:57 PM

Nah-his charisma has to be 25. Every woman falls for him at first sight and every man gets scared the instant he looks at them.

Edited by Tempest, 25 February 2008 - 12:58 PM.

"The righteous need not cower before the drumbeat of human progress. Though the song of yesterday fades into the challenge of tomorrow, God still watches and judges us. Evil lurks in the datalinks as it lurked in the streets of yesterday, but it was never the streets that were evil." - Sister Miriam Godwinson, Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri

#24 vilkacis

vilkacis

Rashemen REPRESENT! Word to yo hamsta!

• Modder
  • 1571 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 01:20 PM

Uh. From what I remember of the books...

He's freakishly strong - probably 18/00 or even 19 in the beginning, gets higher later on. (20? 25 towards the end? Bugger'd if I know. His physical stats pretty much increase constantly from page one up to the final chapter, IIRC.)

He eventually becomes immune to normal weapons. He also regenerates. Not sure if this is due to freakishly high CON or an additional ability, but CON is probably through the roof regardless.

I think he had high DEX as well. Don't remember if it was superhuman, though. But it probably is.

INT and WIS SHUT UP SELF YOU ARE NOT GOING TO SAY ANYTHING are probably about average... ish.

CHA... yeah, I imagine that's supposed to be high, too.

...yeah, that was rather vague.

rrrgh. screw you, abdel, your big brother sarevok is so much cooler

yes, even the dumbass version of him from your book

Edited by vilkacis, 25 February 2008 - 01:22 PM.

#25 flysoup

flysoup
  • 510 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 03:23 PM

Thanks for all the answers, the serious and the not so serious ones ;)
What I wondered was if there were some written ones to be found in any of the DnD materials/content.
"Chef of Goblin Pies"

#26 Isilven

Isilven

DANNY TREJO, DUKE OF THE WESTERN LOWLANDS

• 1236 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 07:49 PM

Anyone with info/facts about Abdel's stats and abilities? (if there are any written)

Load up the pre-saved game in "Baldur's Gate: Tales of the Sword Coast". Abdel is the pre-made CHARNAME.

hlyeo.jpg

Inkosazana

"You just want them to be your panties, you dirty little girl!" -Ilmatar and Kellen
"Endure. In enduring, grow strong." -The Third Circle of Zerthimon

#27 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 10:18 PM

What we have to remember, is that a human can't have stats above 18+... But we can also assume a few things, when he is fighting, he uses the Draw Upon Holy Might ability, and the slaver charge, so his stats become inhuman. Now if I were to take a guess, I would answer something like:
STR: 18/100
DEX: 17
CON: 18
INT: 3
WIS: 3
CHA: 17

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#28 flysoup

flysoup
  • 510 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 12:26 AM

I don't think that the pre-made Abdel in the game is correct neither when it comes to the stats nor the visual appearance.

My question was if there were any known stats written down in any of DnD's content, but I guess there isn't any.

But hey 3 in intelligence and wisdom? Then he would be at the same level as a dog, I would give him these stats:

STR 18/99
CON 17
DEX 16
WIS 9
INT 9
CHA 17

But at the end it's all a matter of speculations and taste. A free mind in a not so free world :wacko:
"Chef of Goblin Pies"

#29 Choo Choo

Choo Choo

AIR CONDITIONER GRILL

• Modder
  • 3001 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 12:27 AM

Flysoup, take a look at that link Tempest gave you, from MST. You'll understand why his WIS and INT are low.

theacefes: You have to be realistic as well, you can't just be Swedish!

#30 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 06:00 AM

From the Wizards of the Coast website, about writing submissions:

Book Publishing Writer Resources

Book Department Writer's Guidelines
Thank you for your interest in publishing with Wizards of the Coast, Inc. We do not accept unsolicited submissions for our shared-world fiction lines: Forgotten Realms, Dragonlance, Eberron, and Magic: The Gathering.(1)

However, we will happily consider submissions for our speculative fiction imprint, provided they follow our guidelines. (The guidelines were last updated on 1/18/2006.)(2)

Those who wish to write for young readers should follow our Mirrorstone guidelines.

Book Submission FAQ
Many common questions about the Wizards book publishing submission process are answered in this FAQ. (3)

Recommended Books on the Craft of Writing
If you're interested in writing, check out this list of books recommended by the Book Publishing Department. (4)

Footnotes:
(1) This statement implies that many of the published works were actually contracted, as in Wizards of the Coast actually paid someone in advance for the work they eventually submitted. Good gods.

(2) They have guidelines? This I gotta see. If it's entertaining, I'll stick it after the footnotes.

(3) Do they really get that many submissions? Well, maybe so, if existing published works are an example of what they'll print.

(4) Or not. If the recommendations produced such a fine body of work (and you thought I didn't do sarcasm), then I would likely be better off not reading the recommended books.

From the guidelines...

... Because we continue to enjoy great success with our shared world fantasy lines, we?re not looking for more of that sort of thing for this imprint. ...

You've got to be kidding. Are they really satisfied with what they've got?

"Imagination is given to man to console him for what he is not; a sense of humor, for what he is." - Oscar Wilde

berelinde's mods
TolkienAcrossTheWater website
TolkienAcrossTheWater Forum

#31 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 06:07 AM

This is the same bunch responsible for 4E, remember? And Flysoup, calling Abdel's intelligence equal to a dog would be insulting dogs. Not to mention that if the writer *ever* definitely described something, rather than shrouding in "probably" and "he might have", I'll eat my keyboard.

#32 Alatariel

Alatariel

Inquisitor!

• 479 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 09:30 AM

Not to mention that if the writer *ever* definitely described something, rather than shrouding in "probably" and "he might have", I'll eat my keyboard.

...that may actually be worth digging out the books and reading them thoroughly. Though afterwards I request you put a record on youtube to my reward my suffering.
'NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition! Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency! Our *three* weapons are fear, surprise, and ruthless efficiency...and an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope.... Our *four*...no... *Amongst* our weapons.... Amongst our weaponry...are such elements as fear, surpr-... I'll come in again.

NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition!... Amongst our weaponry are such diverse elements as: fear, surprise, ruthless efficiency, an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope, and nice red uniforms - Oh damn!'

#33 flysoup

flysoup
  • 510 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 05:17 PM

Well I guess I'll leave this case to a rest...the hatred for Abdel is obvious.... :blink:

All I wondered (again) was if there were any known written stats and abilities fro the character Abdel, except from speculations about his character in the novel or the game pre-made ones.

Nevermind, the reason I was wondering is because I was thinking of making a bg fan comic starting from the beginning of Candlekeep, not based on the novel though more on the game and my own ideas.

You can see the first page at flysoup's art corner:

http://www.shsforums...mp;#entry378952
"Chef of Goblin Pies"

#34 leahnkain

leahnkain
  • Modder
  • 7658 posts

Donator

Posted 27 February 2008 - 01:22 AM

Actually I think I read one of the books, Minsc had a red beard if I remember correctly. Abdel was clearly more intelligent than Minsc. I think with the amount of sheer hatred for the character he would make a nice add on NPC. I am actually curious if anyone is brave enough to write him into the BG2 storyline.

Longing for the old pen and paper modules of the 70's and 80's. Experience AD&D's greatest adventures using the infinity engine: Visit our homepage at http://classicadventuresmod.com/

#35 aVENGER

aVENGER
  • Modder
  • 1680 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 01:59 AM

All I wondered (again) was if there were any known written stats and abilities fro the character Abdel, except from speculations about his character in the novel or the game pre-made ones.

IIRC, Tales of the Sword Coast came with a "Mission Pack Save" which had a Human Fighter named Abdel as the protagonist. I can't recall his stats off-hand but if you load the save you can look them up.

#36 vilkacis

vilkacis

Rashemen REPRESENT! Word to yo hamsta!

• Modder
  • 1571 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 08:35 AM

I kind of figured that's what you wanted, but I have never seen any, sorry.

I think with the amount of sheer hatred for the character he would make a nice add on NPC. I am actually curious if anyone is brave enough to write him into the BG2 storyline.

*snrk* Well, I imagine a lot of people would install it just so they could kill him.

#37 Jazhara7

Jazhara7
  • 715 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 11:00 AM

Great work, flysoup! :woot:

Did you really draw the portrait yourself? :Bow: It's frickin awesome. Very very dark though...

The full body pic makes him look like a hun. Barbarians 4TW!
I adore his female form. ^__^ That sword looks like it's been used a LOT.

Aight, I drew the portrait myself, I actually used a image from one of the comic panels in my bg tob final fight comic
and colorized it with new and darker colors/contrast.

It might be a bit to dark but blame my inner dancing demon's for that one :twisted: but I was inspired by Rembrants
old paintings at that moment with their dark vs light contrast.

I'd like to comment that many of Rembrandt's paintings only got so dark over the years, be it due to hanging in smoky rooms, or dulling of the varnish and things like that. The painting usually referred to as "Night Watch" (the real title is something different, and longer, and does not refer to night at all), actually depicts a scene that takes place in broad daylight, and just *looks* as if it's night because the colours darkened over the years.

- :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Hey, are you hungry?

I Hate Elminster!
(proud member of the We Hate Elminster club)

#38 flysoup

flysoup
  • 510 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 12:00 PM

Did you really draw the portrait yourself? :Bow: It's frickin awesome. Very very dark though...

Aight, I drew the portrait myself, I actually used a image from one of the comic panels in my bg tob final fight comic

It might be a bit to dark but blame my inner dancing demon's for that one :twisted: but I was inspired by Rembrants

I'd like to comment that many of Rembrandt's paintings only got so dark over the years, be it due to hanging in smoky rooms, or dulling of the varnish and things like that. The painting usually referred to as "Night Watch" (the real title is something different, and longer, and does not refer to night at all), actually depicts a scene that takes place in broad daylight, and just *looks* as if it's night because the colours darkened over the years.

True, oil paintings does change over the years. The period that I meant was when details no longer mattered in his paintings and that he played more on the contrast between the light vs darkness (shadows).

That can also be seen in my Abdel example, the lack of details.

By all the glorious fantasy nerds out there how can an Abdel topic turn into a Rembrant topic?
"Chef of Goblin Pies"

#39 Jazhara7

Jazhara7
  • 715 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 12:57 PM

True, oil paintings does change over the years. The period that I meant was when details no longer mattered in his paintings and that he played more on the contrast between the light vs darkness (shadows).

By all the glorious fantasy nerds out there how can an Abdel topic turn into a Rembrant topic?

I know what you mean. There was a Rembrandt exhibition in Frankfurt a few years ago, and it was very interesting how the older paintings differed from the younger ones. Also, there was this one where three guys are watching the scene from the bushes to the right, only the third one is very well hidden. They had to position an extra guard beside the thing, because people repeatedly leant over the line drawn on the ground behind which you had to stand so the picture would not be damaged. They were very understanding, because everyone was simply looking for that third guy in the bushes. But we must have looked pretty silly, leaning forward trying to get a closer look but trying not to cross the line accidentally inn the process. :lol:

Oh, and I forgot to say, I think your portrait of Abdel is pretty nice. :)

And yes, this gradual change from *THAT* topic to this one is kind of creepy. I wonder what Rembrandt would think of it. :blink:

Hey, are you hungry?

I Hate Elminster!
(proud member of the We Hate Elminster club)

#40 flysoup

flysoup
  • 510 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 02:25 PM

I know what you mean. There was a Rembrandt exhibition in Frankfurt a few years ago, and it was very interesting how the older paintings differed from the younger ones. Also, there was this one where three guys are watching the scene from the bushes to the right, only the third one is very well hidden. They had to position an extra guard beside the thing, because people repeatedly leant over the line drawn on the ground behind which you had to stand so the picture would not be damaged. They were very understanding, because everyone was simply looking for that third guy in the bushes. But we must have looked pretty silly, leaning forward trying to get a closer look but trying not to cross the line accidentally inn the process. :lol:

Oh, and I forgot to say, I think your portrait of Abdel is pretty nice. :)

And yes, this gradual change from *THAT* topic to this one is kind of creepy. I wonder what Rembrandt would think of it. :blink:

Hehe must have looked silly indeed. I also have an odd experience from a exhibition in Finland. It was the time when I was excessively fascinated by the Finnish painter Helene Schjerfbeck. And when i stood in front of her painting in the exhibition hall then I just had to touch it...

The alarm was activated and I had to sneak out and missed out on the rest of the exhibition.

I was pretty nervous when I passed a Finnish guard that was heading to the location where the paining were.

I survived without scars and will never be that silly again. :wacko:
"Chef of Goblin Pies"