The D&D/FRQuiz thread

• Please log in to reply
174 replies to this topic

#161 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 04:01 AM

The normal-people category - What is the main plane where the following races live:

Humans
Elves
Halflings
Gnomes

To all of these it's the Prime Material Plane.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#162 Bluenose

Bluenose

The gnome-sage of Ral Worcester

• 1565 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 07:13 AM

The geeky category - What is the main plane where you can find the following races:

Justicator - Acheron.
Varoot - They live in mirrors on the Prime Material Plane, if I'm remembering the right creatures.
Khayal - A type of Genie from the Plane of Shadow.
Aurumach - They are Rilmani, from the Outlands.
Daelkyr - Eberron's Plane of Xoriat - although there's a lot in Khyber, which is vaguely like the Underdark.
Azer - Elemental Plane of Fire.
Maug - Plane of Shadow.
Githyanki - the Astral Plane, with their settlements built on the bodies of dead gods.
Kaorti - humans altered by the Far Realm, but I think they live on the Prime now.
Nessian Warhound - The Nine Hells, specifically the Ninth layer which is Nessus.

Back from the brink.

Like RPGs? Like Star Wars? Think combining the two would be fun? Read Darths and Droids, and discover the line "Jar Jar, you're a genius".

These, in the day when heaven was falling,
The hour when earth's foundations fled,
Followed their mercenary calling
And took their wages and are dead.

#163 Scipio

Scipio

Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.

• 1790 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 08:50 AM

Trying to answer again withoput peeping at others' answers.

The normal-people category - What is the main plane where the following races live:

Humans ? The Prime Plane
Archons ? Mount Celestia (The Seven Heavens)
Elves ? The Prime Plane
Slaadi ? The Slaadi Disorder
Formians ? Mechanus
Halflings ? The Prime Plane
Yugoloth ? Grey Waste of Hades
Eladrins ? Arborea (Plane for the Chaotic Good)
Gnomes ? The Prime Plane
Djinnn ? Elemental Plane of Air

The geeky category - What is the main plane where you can find the following races:

Justicator
Varoot
Khayal
Aurumach ? The Outlands
Dealkyr
Azer
Maug
Githyanki ? Astral Plane
Kaorti
Nessian Warhound
I did battle with monsters, and they became me, and when I gazed into the abyss, the abyss looked away shyly.
See, it helps not to believe all the stuff that philosophers spout.

#164 Deathsangel

Deathsangel

Living on Wings of Dreams

• Modder
  • 3089 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 02:24 AM

We went from planetouched to planar races and their homes. Thus why not go to the home of all creatures that start upon the Planar Setting. The Hub of the Great Wheel. The City of Doors, The Cage, The City that looks back on itself: Sigil.
This is without dispute one of the more eleborate described cities by TSR and later a bit by WoTC. All kinds of tibits about history, locations and language were released. So let us see if you as a Primer can handle your way around Sigil were you ever to be confronted with the existence of the Multiverse.

Questions for the normal-people category:

* What was the name of the first great change in number of factions?
* What was the name of the second great change in the factions?
* Name the three factions of Law.
* Name the three headquarters that start with Great/Grand
* Give the meaning of the following chants:
addle-cove -
jink -
barmy -
pike it -

Questions for the geeky category:

* What was the sentence by which the first period of change started?
* Which factions has the following symbol: "A finely crafted sword, with a corona of flames rising from its hilt. Coiled around the blade is a sinuous Chinese-style dragon, its scales a radiant gold, and eyes glowing intently"?
* Name the factions known as the Ciphers, the Defilers and the Sinkers
* For which former faction was Vartus Timlin the factal leader?
* The Dusties are know from PST for the Gathering Dust Bar. However, two other bars are also associated with their name. What are their names?
chiv -
the Great Road -
The Clueless -
Feeding the Wyrm -

The answers to the previous questions:

The normal-people category:

Humans - The Prime Material Plane
Archons- Mount Celestia
Elves - Arborea
~~~ The entire Elven pantheon is here, and all that worship the pantheon end up on this plane once they die no matter what Prime they come from. Now from several sources we know this pantheon worshipped on several Primes, among which the Forgotten Realms and Greyhawk, as such the total number of Elves on Arborea are greater than on one single Prime. Humans are so diverted in their religion they end up on all Places.
Slaadi - Limbo
Formians - Mechanus
Halflings - Blessed Fields (Mount Celestia)
~~~ See Elven explanation why
Yugoloth - Gehenna
Eladrins - Arborea
Gnomes - Bytopia
~~~ See Elven explanation why
Djinnn - Elemental Plane of Air

The geeky category:

Justicator - Creature that makes all abide law of the Infernal Battlefield of Archeron
Varoot - Glass-like creatures that have enigmatic and dual nature of the Mirror plane
Khayal - Genie of the Shadow Elements of the Plane of Shadow
Aurumach - This is the highest one of the Rilmani, a race of pure neutrality on the Outlands
Dealkyr - The Lords of Nightmares on the Eberron's Plane of Xoriat (some indeed are in Khyber, but not the majority)
Azer - Some claim original Dwarves on the Elemental Plane of Fire
Maug - A sentient construct of the Infernal Battlefield of Archeron
Githyanki - The Evil Gith race on the Astral Plane living on bodies of dead gods.
Kaorti - Human explorers went the Far Realm and got distorted. They returned through the same portal that collapsed behind them leaving the Prime Material plane with these strange beings.
Nessian Warhound - A special breed of hell hounds from Nessus, the ninth layer of the the Nine Hells of Baator.

Still modding the Mod for the Wicked... It is a big project you know... And I got sidetracked (several times) a bit... sorry.
However, as we all know, Evil never really sleeps.

Sentences marking (my) life:

Winds of change... Endure them, and in Enduring grow Stronger
It takes a fool to look for logic in a man's heart
Never question the sanity of the insane
The Harmony of Life is Chaos

(1st march 2009) SHS women over me:
Kat: if there were more guys that looked like you out here, people's offspring wouldnt be so damn ugly
Noctalys: you are adorable :P

~~ I love it, and I am humbled! Yay! ~~

#165 Bluenose

Bluenose

• 1565 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 04:03 AM

"By the order of the Lady of Pain, there will be but fifteen factions in Sigil. Organise thy colours in a fortnight - or die".

* Which factions has the following symbol: "A finely crafted sword, with a corona of flames rising from its hilt. Coiled around the blade is a sinuous Chinese-style dragon, its scales a radiant gold, and eyes glowing intently"?

I think that's the group formed after the Faction War when the Godsmen and Signers merged to form the Mind's Eye.

Ciphers - Transcendant Order
Defilers - Athar, after their willingness to defile temples
Sinkers - Doomguard

That's one of the old factions from before the Great Upheaval. I think it might be the Incanterium.

* The Dusties are know from PST for the Gathering Dust Bar. However, two other bars are also associated with their name. What are their names?

The Speckled Rat and the White Casket

chiv - a dagger, short sword, or other small blade
the Great Road - the portal network that connects the planes of the Great Ring
The Clueless - people who either have never walked the planes or who are only on their first trip
Feeding the Wyrm - executing someone

Back from the brink.

Like RPGs? Like Star Wars? Think combining the two would be fun? Read Darths and Droids, and discover the line "Jar Jar, you're a genius".

#166 Deathsangel

Deathsangel

• Modder
  • 3089 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 01:14 AM

Ah, yes Sigil is a nice place to visit, but only one of the many great sites of the Planes. Let us see how much you know of the multiverse. Less I be calling ye addle-coved or a Clueless. If ye need a clue, I be accepting Jink.

Questions for the normal-people category:
Tell me on basis of their nickname which plane I am referring to

It is a plane of passion and peace
It is where morality crumbles and ethics perish
It is as solid as a child's breath
It is where the elements come to die
It is where the most loyal animal companions go when they die
The Fourfold Furnaces
It is the gear works for the multiverse
It is the hub of the Great Wheel
It is the plane of enforced order, where conformity is more important than good
It is a place of heroes and glories

From the following sentence tell me which plane and if possible which layer I am describing.

On this layer a city stands where the wall ooze blood. It saves the inhabitants, but it also makes them feel trapped within the city
It is the road that goes everywhere
This layer is dotted with ruined abandoned cities, and new ones are built on top of them everlasting.
It is the frontier of worlds unknown
It is home to the City of Glass
This layer houses the headwaters of the Upper Plane counterpart of the river Styx.
On this layer acid fills the air, still jungles grow here which are actually even more dangerous with their razor sharp leaves and deadly natural poisons
This layer was once of one Plane, now it belongs to another
It is the heart of darkness
This layer is the wild counterpart of its sister

Bonus - For those with too much time on their hand, as they also need to look ath the other category. Which seven 'common' planes did I leave out? (I first had a question for all, but... that were just too many ;))

The answers to last questions:
I had hoped for more participants, for that would probably have shown that with the exception of 2 questions all of the normal-people category was in PS:T as well

* What was the name of the first great change in number of factions?
The Great Upheaval
* What was the name of the second great change in the factions?
The Faction War
* Name the three factions of Law.
The Mercykillers, The Harmonium & Fraternity of Order
* Name the three headquarters that start with Great/Grand
Great/Grand Bhazaar, Great Foundry, Great Gymnasium
addle-cove - idiot
jink - money
barmy - insane
pike it - shove it

The geeky category:

"By the order of the Lady of Pain, there will be but fifteen factions in Sigil. Organize thy colors in a fortnight - or die."
Mind's Eye
Transcedent Order, the Athar, the Doomguard
The Expansionists - a faction that destroyed itself due to the hatred of all other factions... they were killed on requests of the other factions by the Lady of Pain ~ or so is the dark of it they say.
The Speckled Rat & The White Casket's
chiv - A small blade
the Great Road - network of natural portals connecting the various planes of the Great Ring
The Clueless - Generally used in an offensive manner; Person that has no knowledge of the multiverse, generally a first time traveller or recent arrival.
Feeding the Wyrm - Executing prisoners (Points to the flightless wyrm of the Mercykillers)

Edited by Deathsangel, 16 June 2008 - 04:01 PM.

Still modding the Mod for the Wicked... It is a big project you know... And I got sidetracked (several times) a bit... sorry.

Kat: if there were more guys that looked like you out here, people's offspring wouldnt be so damn ugly

#167 Bluenose

Bluenose

• 1565 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 07:18 AM

From the following sentence tell me which plane and if possible which layer I am describing.

On this layer a city stands where the wall ooze blood. It saves the inhabitants, but it also makes them feel trapped within the city
It is the road that goes everywhere
This layer is dotted with ruined abandoned cities, and new ones are built on top of them everlasting.
It is the frontier of worlds unknown
It is home to the City of Glass
This layer houses the headwaters of the Upper Plane counterpart of the river Styx.
On this layer acid fills the air, still jungles grow here which are actually even more dangerous with their razor sharp leaves and deadly natural poisons
This layer was once of one Plane, now it belongs to another
It is the heart of darkness
This layer is the wild counterpart of its sister

In order, including one I just can't find even though I know it:

City of Dis, Dis, Baator

The Infinite Staircase

Thanatos, The Abyss

Ethereal Plane

Elemental Plane of Water

Thalasia, Elysium - the river is the Oceanus

Cathrys, Carceri

?

Phlegethon, Pandemonium

Shurrock, Bytopia

Bonus - For those with too much time on their hand, as they also need to look ath the other category. Which seven 'common' planes did I leave out? (I first had a question for all, but... that were just too many ;))

Positive and Negative Energy Planes; Elemental Planes of Fire and Earth; The Astral Plane; Acheron; Arborea.

Back from the brink.

#168 Deathsangel

Deathsangel

• Modder
  • 3089 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 03:53 PM

A little early as I have some stuff to do tomorrow & as 'make-it-up' for the surely late post on thursday.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Next it is turn to take a nice vactation along these planes by the use of Planehopping. With these questions I would like the most sure answer. Kindly make use of established/sure/secure routes like the Great Road, the river Styx, the river Oceanus, known portals etc. before referring to the Astral Plane please. So no wayward random playhopping portals, as you are not Jasper St. Baird.
For normaly people; normally you can't go simply from one plane of outer ring to another of the outer ring without the use of magic, unless it is next to it. However, the planes weren't the planes if exceptions did exist.

Think carefully - the planes sometimes move in mysterious ways and sometimes stand besides time and normal regulations.

I will give a clue here and there, for these are though questions.
I will also give in this is the most arbitrary question, but a quiz about the Planescape setting without a planehopping questions is a quiz that does not respect itself. I shall be soft in my judgement and kind with the points.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The questions for the normal-people category;
How and across which planes do I come from the following planar region to the other?
(4 of 5 require only one answer ;))

From the Prime called Abeir-Toril to the Prime called Oerth?
From the Pillar of Skulls to Regulus? So from Morte's homeground to that of Nordom.
From the Demi-plane Ravenloft onto the Astral Plane?
From the plane of Arborea to the Elemental Plane of Water?
From the plane of Pandemonium to the plane of Archeron?

The questions for the geeky category;
How and across which planes do I come from the following planar region to the other?

From the Howler's Crag to the fortress Setring?
Some Primes have different astrologies. This makes planetravelling difficult, however, not impossible. How do I get from The Plane called Thelanis to the the plane called Arborea?
From the Headquarters of the Fraternity of Order to the Headquarters of the Harmonium?
From the the Stone Keep Xaxox, home to the maddened Elven wizard Daruth Winterwood, to Madhouse?
From 'the realm of sentient matter' to 'the realm of the dead' (Underworld)?

The answers of last time's questions:

* It is a plane of passion and peace - Olympian Glades of Arborea
* It is where morality crumbles and ethics perish - Infinite Layers of the Abyss
* It is as solid as a child's breath - The Elemental Plane of Air
* It is where the elements come to die - Ever-changing Chaos of Limbo
* It is where the most loyal animal companions go when they die - Wilderness of the Beastlands
* The Fourfold Furnaces - Bleak Eternity of Gehenna
* It is the gear works for the multiverse - Clockwork Nirvana of Mechanus
* It is the hub of the Great Wheel - Concordant Domain of the Outlands
* It is the plane of enforced order, where conformity is more important than good - Infernal Battlefield of Archeron
* It is a place of heroes and glories - Heroic Domains of Ysgard

The Geeky category:
~~ I took the liberty here of giving a little bit of extra explanation to my only candidate :crying: ;) ~~

* On this layer a city stands where the wall ooze blood. It saves the inhabitants, but it also makes them feel trapped within the city - Nilfheim - Gray Wastes of Hades (Dis has no bleeding wall, I am sorry - I tried but find no reference, some of the souls do feel trapped due to the bullying of the devil citizens)
* It is the road that goes everywhere - The Astral Plane (Here I have to say that I find the answer of the mythical Infinite Staircase very nice, but this is trully the nickname of the Astral Plane)
* This layer is dotted with ruined abandoned cities, and new ones are built on top of them everlasting. - Maladomini - Nine Hells of Baator (Thanatos is a necropolis true, but not in ruin)
* It is the frontier of worlds unknown - The Plane of Shadow (In the planescape setting it is this plane that links different Prime material planes with eachother, even of different cosmologies)
* It is home to the City of Glass - The Elemental Plane of Water
* This layer houses the headwaters of the Upper Plane counterpart of the river Styx. - Thalasia - Blessed Fields of Elysium
* On this layer acid fills the air, still jungles grow here which are actually even more dangerous with their razor sharp leaves and deadly natural poisons - Cathrys - Tarterian Depths of Carceri
* This layer was once of one Plane, now it belongs to another - Menausos - Peaceful Kingdoms of Arcadia/Clockwork Nirvana of Mechanus (once the third layer of the first, now just another cog of the formians
* It is the heart of darkness - The Negative Energy Plane (Phlegethon's rocks indeed take light away and light shine only half their strength, but darkness in this case means more than just light)
* This layer is the wild counterpart of its sister - Shurrock - Twin Paradises of Bytopia

The Planes I left out: Windswept Depths of Pandemonium, The Prime, Seven Mounting Heavens of Celestia, Elemental plains of Fire and Earth, Positive Energy Plane, Ethereal Plane

P.s. corrected a small thing in the last answers given. I confused Expansionists with Communals. Vartus Timlin was factol leader of the Expansionists but their theory was different. Naturally the Communals come in a bit later in this quiz, but luckily only as example... you will see.

Edited by Deathsangel, 16 June 2008 - 04:04 PM.

#169 Bluenose

Bluenose

• 1565 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 01:02 PM

The questions for the normal-people category;
(4 of 5 require only one answer ;))

Through the World Serpent Inn. I visit Arabel in Cormyr and go to the Wild Goose tavern against the north wall. Knock on an invisible door under the sign and invoke a deity to enter. The corridors in the back of the World Serpent have a door to Helkam?s Pit in the tunnels beneath Irongate.

From the Pillar of Skulls to Regulus? So from Morte's homeground to that of Nordom.

Along the Great Road via Acheron

That?s pretty hard, unless the Dark Powers want it.

From the second layer where Sashelas and some other sea gods have their homes directly through the gates to the plane of water.

Pay a Mezzaeoloth to give you a ride along the Styx.

The questions for the geeky category;

Go to Loki?s realm in Pandemonium. Climb the World Ash Yggdrasil to Ysgard.

Some Primes have different astrologies. This makes planetravelling difficult, however, not impossible. How do I get from The Plane called Thelanis to the the plane called Arborea?

No doubt there are other ways, but I think I?d visit the Eladrin's Court of Stars when it appears on Thelanis and leave when it moved to Arborea.

From the Headquarters of the Fraternity of Order to the Headquarters of the Harmonium?

Mechanus and Arcadia are adjacent on the Great Wheel, and there are planar gateways on the Great Road between then.

From the the Stone Keep Xaxox, home to the maddened Elven wizard Daruth Winterwood, to Madhouse?

From the Far Realm travel the Prime Material Plane. Use a known portal to Sigil, then visit the Portal Schmortal for a portal to Pandemonius ? ideally Cocytus.

Too many realms of the dead for me to be sure, but? Get onto Yggdrasil, move to Limbo along that, then switch to the Styx and pay a Mezzaeloth to take you to Thanatos.

Back from the brink.

#170 Deathsangel

Deathsangel

• Modder
  • 3089 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 01:37 AM

Planehopping is of course a wonderful way to go vacation. However, visiting some planes can be quite hazardous for once health. Certainly when visiting The Lower Planes with all their evil lords and princes. Let us see how much you know of all of those dreadful places.

The questions for normal-people category:

This demon prince was once a deity; What is his own name and how was he called as a deity?

This demon prince once had the upper hand in the combat of the mightiest three; What is his name and how many layers does he control?

This devil lord is more occupied with the Blood War than anything else; What is his name and whom ruled before him?

This demon prince has a great inner struggle unknown to many; What is his name and what is the name of the personality causing the trouble?

This devil lord is said to be the first; What is his name and where does he gather his highest minions one per year?

The questions for the geeky-category:

What was the name of the former Lord of the fifth and how does he still live on?

Complete the next row: Tana'ri, Baatezu, Yugoloth & .... ? Where does this last race reside?

This Demon Lord shares portfolio with Cyric, and an almost similar name: Prince of Madness. What is his name and on which layer does he reside?

What was the former ruler of the 422th layer of the Abyss, now known as Yeenoghu's realm? What does he share with Demon Prince of Madness?

Which layer of the abyss holds several corpes of/and intrapped former rulers of a layer? Name at least 3 (there are 14).

The answers:
First of all thanks for answering all questions Bluenose, at least I did not make them for naught :cheers:

* Through the World Serpent Inn. I visit Arabel in Cormyr and go to the Wild Goose tavern against the north wall. Knock on an invisible door under the sign and invoke a deity to enter. The corridors in the back of the World Serpent have a door to Helkam?s Pit in the tunnels beneath Irongate.
And so it shows that the planes in more ways than I even had in my brain. Correct answer - hadn't even thought of it

* Originally answer was the simple use of the Plane of Shadow. As mentioned in the previous question. This plane is coexterminous with both.

* Along the Great Road via Acheron

* This is a sneaky one, either: "You are already there" or "Unless the Dark Powers want it is impossible". For the first answer known that the Demi-plane is on the astral plane

* The second layer where Sashelas rules over the realm of the Aquatic Elves is a layer that only exist out of water. Such a layer naturally has gates to the plane of water.

* Pay a Yugoloth, specifically the ferrymans a.k.a. the Marraenoloths, to give you a ride along the Styx.

* Exactly as above. Howler's Crag lies on Pandemonium. Setring is the fortress name of Maglubiyeth, diety of the Goblins.

~~ When using the gods of vikings it is suggested to let the prime have only a Walhalla, I am not quite sure what you mean Bluenose, but you end destiny was Ysgard and that unfortunately is wrong

* This was a bit meant as the tough question - In the 7 years every 225 it is coexteriminous travel from Thelanis to Eberron. From Eberron to either Oerth or Abeir-Toril via the Shadow Plane. From one of those Primes towards Sigil. From Sigil to Arborea.

~~ To Bluenose his answer. In principal in Eberron the Court of Stars has no power, and no reason to visit. However, as another answer I would have excepted indeed a possible direct shift due to great alikeness of both planes. Though this is a less sure way. Still some credit.

* Mechanus and Arcadia are adjacent on the Great Wheel, and there are planar gateways on the Great Road between then.

* From the Far Realm travel the Prime Material Plane. Use a known portal to Sigil, then visit the Portal Schmortal for a portal to Pandemonius ? ideally Cocytus.

~~ Note: I would have also excepted none, seeing Far Realm haven't been breached for ages, and another portal in Sigil.

* This trip is from Limbo to the third layer of Hades, that has the 'gates to the underworld' upon them. A portal to another plane giving a link to a prime with the greek gods. The idea was Great road from Limbo to Pandemonium. On Pandemonium you again travel down (or up, no one knows) the river styx via the help of a Marreanoloth

~~ Unfortunately Bluenose you start out wrong. The realm of sentient matter is Limbo, and you show you move to this... unfortunate. Neither does the Styx flow on Limbo it ends at Pandemonium. Still the Styx was correct, some credit

#171 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 05:40 AM

The questions for the geeky-category: Complete the next row: Tana'ri, Baatezu, Yugoloth & .... ? Where does this last race reside?

Geek, me?
Gehreleth. And they live in the Outer Plane of Carceri, the Lower Plane of betrayal and treachery.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#172 Bluenose

Bluenose

• 1565 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 03:40 AM

The questions for normal-people category:

This demon prince was once a deity; What is his own name and how was he called as a deity?

The only one I can think of that fits this is Orcus, who was worshipped under the name Tenebrous.

This demon prince once had the upper hand in the combat of the mightiest three; What is his name and how many layers does he control?

Graz'zt, whose realm of Azzagrat has three layers.

This devil lord is more occupied with the Blood War than anything else; What is his name and whom ruled before him?

Bel, ruler of the first layer. He replaced a devil called Zariel.

This demon prince has a great inner struggle unknown to many; What is his name and what is the name of the personality causing the trouble?

Demogorgon, who's two heads are Aameul and Hethradiah who really don't like each other.

This devil lord is said to be the first; What is his name and where does he gather his highest minions one per year?

Asmodeus, fortress Nessus.

The questions for the geeky-category:

What was the name of the former Lord of the fifth and how does he still live on?

Geryon, who survives as a vestige.

Complete the next row: Tana'ri, Baatezu, Yugoloth & .... ? Where does this last race reside?

Gehreleth (or Demodand), from Carceri.

This Demon Lord shares portfolio with Cyric, and an almost similar name: Prince of Madness. What is his name and on which layer does he reside?

Adimarchus; layer 507, Occipitus.

What was the former ruler of the 422th layer of the Abyss, now known as Yeenoghu's realm? What does he share with Demon Prince of Madness?

Azael the ensnared; both are former angels.

Which layer of the abyss holds several corpes of/and intrapped former rulers of a layer? Name at least 3 (there are 14).

The Wells of Darkness. If you want only prisoners who definitely ruled a layer, I can include Astaroth, Ahazu the Seizer (who's layer it is), Kizardivexus, and Cabiri. You've also got Ansitif, Areex, Arlgolcheir, Ebulon, Lazbral'thull, Rr'ikin'aka, and Ungulex. Known escapers include Bayemon of the Unhealing Wound, Shaktari, Siragle the Inefffable, and Zzyczesiya. And if you're wondering why I know all these, last weekend in my PnP game we paid a visit in search of information about Demogorgon and released his former mistress, Shami-Amourae :D

Back from the brink.

#173 Deathsangel

Deathsangel

• Modder
  • 3089 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 01:03 AM

I see absolutely no need for me to write down the answers this time, as Bluenose got every single one correct up to the most intimate detail in the geeky category.
The only side note is that the Aemul personality of Demogorgon whishes to seperate from the other head, whereas Hethradiah has no such plans. They don't like eachother that is true, but the plans of Aemul could... well undo Demogorgon.
Oh, and that must be some campaign... ;)

Well, after digging through all that material and trying to make some out of this quiz my head got a bit scrambled :wacko: Help me correct, if necessary, my scrambled planar lore, than I can sleep easy again (as it is my final question :ph34r: )

The questions for the normal-person category:

* There is no power in the planes that can keep a Gihtyanki and Githzerai from fighting each other on sight.
* Lawful outsiders are rare; I can only name Formians, Inevitables, Mercanes, Modrons, Justicator, Wind Dukes and Visilights.
* Not all outsiders are resistricted that they are perse a chaotic, lawful, evil, good, neutral (or combination) outsider.
* That the Positive Energy Plane is linked to good and Negative Energy Plane linked to evil is clear from their natives.
* The Lady of Pain is the first ruler of the city known as Sigil.

The questions for the geeky category:

* The powers of Good and Evil fight rarely, but not as rare as the forces of Chaos and Law. Only one big clash ever occured due to instigation of Demons.
* The Githyanki have the most fearsome power to cut silver cords with there special swords. This unique ability makes them feared across the Astral Plane.
* The Realms of Horror, Ravenloft, have always been void of gods. All the people can hope to do to get help of 'higher' hand is pray to the Dark Powers.
* The Doomguard believes that all must fall to entropy; however, they also sometimes protect against entropy.
* Some Deities arrive from other worlds and attract followers on other primes to obtain followers there as well. The actions of the deity are felt alike in all the realms they manifest in.

Edited by Deathsangel, 21 June 2008 - 01:05 AM.

#174 Bluenose

Bluenose

• 1565 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 01:44 AM

The only side note is that the Aemul personality of Demogorgon whishes to seperate from the other head, whereas Hethradiah has no such plans. They don't like eachother that is true, but the plans of Aemul could... well undo Demogorgon.
Oh, and that must be some campaign... ;)

Just after we let her out of her well, we were deluged with water from the Styx, and attacked by some of Big Ds minions. We beat them, we had a little chat with Shami, then she teleported away. We climbed out of the well, and there was a river there with a black skiff floating in it and a cloaked figure with a barge pole standing in the skiff.

"What have you done with my river?" asked Charon.

:blink: :crying: :crying:

And then we blamed Demogorgon for it. :devil:

* There is no power in the planes that can keep a Gihtyanki and Githzerai from fighting each other on sight.

Although if there happens to be an illithid around...

* Lawful outsiders are rare; I can only name Formians, Inevitables, Mercanes, Modrons, Justicator, Wind Dukes and Visilights.

That's a good selection from the Outer Planes. However, there are others - Buommans on the Astral, many types of Genie, Axani, Tabi, Observers, Mediators, and others.

* Not all outsiders are resistricted that they are perse a chaotic, lawful, evil, good, neutral (or combination) outsider.

"There are always exceptions to any rule." some Planar scholar or other. :rolleyes: Succubus Paladins are possible, as are chaotic Modrons.

* That the Positive Energy Plane is linked to good and Negative Energy Plane linked to evil is clear from their natives.

Not really. The xag-yar aren't always nice, the xag-yi aren't always nasty. In fact neither are really predicatable.

She's the most powerful being in Sigil, but whether she rules it is arguable. It's even considered her prison.

* The powers of Good and Evil fight rarely, but not as rare as the forces of Chaos and Law. Only one big clash ever occured due to instigation of Demons.

Orchestrated by the 'loths, I think.

* The Githyanki have the most fearsome power to cut silver cords with there special swords. This unique ability makes them feared across the Astral Plane.

Looks entirely correct.

* The Realms of Horror, Ravenloft, have always been void of gods. All the people can hope to do to get help of 'higher' hand is pray to the Dark Powers.

People can and do pray to their gods. Clerics still gain their spells. By default it's the DPs granting the spells.

* The Doomguard believes that all must fall to entropy; however, they also sometimes protect against entropy.

Sometimes Doomguard will act against immediate entropy, if they see a longer-term way to increase it. Many believe that they don't need to take active steps anyway, since the multiverse is breaking down quite happily without their help.

* Some Deities arrive from other worlds and attract followers on other primes to obtain followers there as well. The actions of the deity are felt alike in all the realms they manifest in.

While deities can attract followers on other worlds, what happens in one world does not affect the deity on another. A deity can be killed on Oerth yet gain power on Abeir-Toril.

Back from the brink.

#175 Deathsangel

Deathsangel

• Modder
  • 3089 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 12:48 PM

The answers to my last questions:

- False; Indeed mindflayers

- False; No, Inevitables are constructs not outsiders, the rest are
- or False; I miss a few rare ones (by the way I do not know all of those Bluenose says, and with one I do not concur)

- True; Paladin Succubi are unknown to me, but yes indeed " The planes move in mysterious ways" as with rogue modrons, but also just because their native plane has no strong alignment they don't have and still are outsiders. Example: Bariaurs of Ysgard, which is only midly chaotic aligned.

- False; The energy globes that are the true inhabitants of these planes are always Neutral. There behaviour is rather irradic, so this is not true.

- True; Though indeed some say it is her cage, this does not say she does not rule the city. She has even power over the factions, whom are the more visible political powers at the government buildings. Some people think sometimes she is second due to Aoskar, but he came during her power and fell during her power.

- False; The fought on their own accord (see the module: The Rod of Seven Parts)

- False; They share this power with one other creature called the Astral Dreadnaught for obvious reasons

- False; In the module: 'Die, Vecna, Die!' The Lesser Greyhawk Deity Vecna visited Ravenloft to obtain power, and also left it... I will give in that the module is considered one of the, if not the, poorest ever made. It is so bad many fans ignore the information about Vecna and what she does in that module. The trick of this question lay in the word 'always'.

- True; Though not due to what Bluenose says, sorry. I don't know the Dark of it (<- Sigil slang), but there is one structure in Sigil they defend against Entropy. Three portals lie under a collosal statue shaped like beastlands/arborea sub-species of Unicorn. These portals lead to the Prime (which one is not stated), Beastlands and Arborea. This statue and its portals are protected by an honorary guard of the Sinkers (= The Doomguard) in order to protect it from intruders and defilers.

- False; Lloth dies in

Rose Estes' novel The Eyes Have It

and in

Queen of the Demonweb Pits by Paul Kidd

, but ascends in

War of the Spider Queen; varies writers

by which the timeline is progressed in 3.5. Paul Kidd's book deals with Greyhawk, War of the Spider Queen with Fearūn. Unfortunately I do not know where Rose Estes' novel takes place for that would be interresting... Anyway it is a bit weird, huh? Oh well you can alway say 'The Planes move in mysterious ways'.