32 replies to this topic

#1 Deva

Deva

Possum of the Grotto

• Modder
  • 1378 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 11:15 AM

Ask Ninde

Ask Ninde things here. Go on, anything. The Lady isn't known for her shyness. (And no, this is in no way just an excuse to flirt with everyone.)

Ninde_ad.gif

143450.png176206.png

Click to feed.

Adopted from Valenth

My adoptables > Your adoptables.

#2 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 10:56 PM

Still afraid of the dark?

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#3 Deva

Deva

Possum of the Grotto

• Modder
  • 1378 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 08:08 AM

Jarno: Still afraid of the dark?

Why thankyou Jarno, I was beginning to feel positively neglected - In short, no. A woman of my age is scared of very little. When I was a child I would often command a maid to read to me until the early hours of the morning so I would not have to feel alone under the dense velvet curtains of my bed. Although I suppose it would've made my time in the crypts of Athkatla a little less tedious. That answer your question, dear?

Ninde_ad.gif

143450.png176206.png

Click to feed.

Adopted from Valenth

#4 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 08:25 AM

Tempest: Warning. You have company.

Xarana: I see we have another bold little hare, poking her nose out into the open wild while anchored in the warm sanctity of her society. What brings you out into the cold, little hare? Why do you come to the bloodstained snows of the world, rather than hiding in your doomed 'society'?

Darian: Are you afraid of death, I wonder? You display necromantic powers, and I've always wondered-are necromancers as dead as those they work with, or does a heart still beat in your corrupted self, a heart still afraid of becoming that which you command?

Riysler: I'll make my question quick: undeath and necromancy are abominations. Have you any justification before I send you to judgement at Kelemvor's throne?

"The righteous need not cower before the drumbeat of human progress. Though the song of yesterday fades into the challenge of tomorrow, God still watches and judges us. Evil lurks in the datalinks as it lurked in the streets of yesterday, but it was never the streets that were evil." - Sister Miriam Godwinson, Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri

#5 Deva

Deva

Possum of the Grotto

• Modder
  • 1378 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 10:46 AM

Xarana: I see we have another bold little hare, poking her nose out into the open wild while anchored in the warm sanctity of her society. What brings you out into the cold, little hare? Why do you come to the bloodstained snows of the world, rather than hiding in your doomed 'society'?

Society means good food, good conversation and handsome young bards in warm Inns. I like society, I like its trappings, I'd much rather have stayed in something resembling it. But it was not to be - like many of those drawn into the tedium of adventuring, it was not of my own volition. On the other hand, besides murder, what better way to meet virile do-gooders with firm... nevermind.

Darian: Are you afraid of death, I wonder? You display necromantic powers, and I've always wondered-are necromancers as dead as those they work with, or does a heart still beat in your corrupted self, a heart still afraid of becoming that which you command?

Death in itself is not what people, or I, fear. It is of being forgotten. It is the thought that this whole whirling world that's been there just for your pleasure, a pap for just you to suck on, might just carry on once your fertilising larches. And corrupted! Darian, you are truly a man of no account! I try ever so hard to be naughty, it's nice to know my efforts are appreciated.

Riysler: I'll make my question quick: undeath and necromancy are abominations. Have you any justification before I send you to judgement at Kelemvor's throne?

Kelemvor shmelemvor, dear, it's no more unnatural than what you've done in a seedy tavern or too, I'd wager, nor any more unnatural then what your average Druid gets up to. Yet a Druid is hailed as a regular star-healer, you probably go all dewy-eyed over them. It's not a pretty business, but neither is life.

Edited by Hishi, 25 April 2008 - 10:47 AM.

Ninde_ad.gif

143450.png176206.png

Click to feed.

Adopted from Valenth

#6 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 29 April 2008 - 02:51 AM

You seem to be capable and brave enough to hold yourself in battle, but how good are you in a group? Do you think that you are able to work in a team (undead minions don't count!) or are you more of a lonely predator like let's say a wildcat that is always hunting alone?

#7 Deva

Deva

Possum of the Grotto

• Modder
  • 1378 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 08:01 AM

You seem to be capable and brave enough to hold yourself in battle, but how good are you in a group? Do you think that you are able to work in a team (undead minions don't count!) or are you more of a lonely predator like let's say a wildcat that is always hunting alone?

A team? I'm hardly a misanthrope darling, so I say the more the merrier if it'll help the job get done. Just don't have me airing a Barbarian's pantalettes and all should be well.

Ninde_ad.gif

143450.png176206.png

Click to feed.

Adopted from Valenth

#8 Alatariel

Alatariel

Inquisitor!

• 479 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 09:53 AM

Oh, yay, Ninde finally gets her forum!

Lauretha: So, Ninde, you are also an Ar'Tel'Quessir. And you were born in Cormanthor. Interesting piece of information, that - perhaps I will come back to it later. You were raised by humans, however. I wonder if you sought contact with our people, during your stay in Waterdeep. I wonder if your formal education consisted of elven magic. Did you ever consider the drawbacks concentrating on necromancy brings to your life as a spellcaster, and as an elf? The road to High Magic is closed to you, among others. I am also curious as to how many years you spend with your human patrons -- I think the word fits better than 'foster-parents', though I may be mistaken -- you seem to be very young indeed.
'NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition! Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency! Our *three* weapons are fear, surprise, and ruthless efficiency...and an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope.... Our *four*...no... *Amongst* our weapons.... Amongst our weaponry...are such elements as fear, surpr-... I'll come in again.

NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition!... Amongst our weaponry are such diverse elements as: fear, surprise, ruthless efficiency, an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope, and nice red uniforms - Oh damn!'

#9 Deva

Deva

Possum of the Grotto

• Modder
  • 1378 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 10:12 AM

Oh, yay, Ninde finally gets her forum!

Lauretha: So, Ninde, you are also an Ar'Tel'Quessir. And you were born in Cormanthor. Interesting piece of information, that - perhaps I will come back to it later. You were raised by humans, however. I wonder if you sought contact with our people, during your stay in Waterdeep. I wonder if your formal education consisted of elven magic. Did you ever consider the drawbacks concentrating on necromancy brings to your life as a spellcaster, and as an elf? The road to High Magic is closed to you, among others. I am also curious as to how many years you spend with your human patrons -- I think the word fits better than 'foster-parents', though I may be mistaken -- you seem to be very young indeed.

My identity as an Sun elf - Ar'Tel'Quessir, as you might say - is something that plays often upon my mind. During my childhood their were elves enough in Waterdeep, though none of the same class as myself. I was viewed as something of a curiosity by most of my contemporaries; even teased.

I was educated in the Seminary of Mystryl, an establishment as much a finishing school as magical academy, and as a result elfin perceptions of what is 'worthy magic' and what is abominable were never impressed upon me. And as I did not think magic and it's study would be the main thrust of my life I did not consider the drawbacks of studying necromancy; it fascinated me. I wanted to know about what fascinated me. Besides, my tutor, Sykre D'Alysos had a handsome pair of eyes and a broad Heartlander's chest. How could I resist? (Smile)

It is not as though I never tried to re-connect myself with my origins. After the death of my father (my 'patron', as you called him,) I returned to Cormanthor, intending to find anything that might remain of family. I was slightly sidetracked by a golden-headed rogue from Tanglewood who introduced me to delights of the half-elf and romantically, though ill-advisedly, attempted to teach me to shoot a bow.

I was raised as a human child might be, with very human sensibilities and values, and now the only remnant of my heritage among your people is, well, these ever-so-slightly crass ears. I'm a firm advocate of nurture over nature. An elf? No, that is merely the circumstance of my birth.

Ninde_ad.gif

143450.png176206.png

Click to feed.

Adopted from Valenth

#10 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 11:20 AM

You study necromancy Ninbe, so which of the three fascinates you the most;
The life it takes,
The life it gives,
Or the moment when it happens?

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#11 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 11:28 AM

Xarana: Nurture over nature? Such misguided glory. What say you then of the fact that you do not sleep, that you will far outlive your so-called people, that you are not and never will be remotely human?

Darian: For once, I agree with the shadow druid. How can you claim to think of yourself as human when you aged far more slowly then your peers? Is it that disconnection, that you are still young when your childhood friends are dust in the earth that drove you to such depths as necromancy?

"The righteous need not cower before the drumbeat of human progress. Though the song of yesterday fades into the challenge of tomorrow, God still watches and judges us. Evil lurks in the datalinks as it lurked in the streets of yesterday, but it was never the streets that were evil." - Sister Miriam Godwinson, Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri

#12 Azkyroth

Azkyroth
  • Modder
  • 3496 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 01:29 PM

*Arkalian looks up* "'Nurture over nature?' Care to elaborate? Also, I'm curious about what initially drew you to magic in general and necromancy in particular."

[EDIT: Anything related to "perky" doesn't really fit. O.o]

Edited by Azkyroth, 29 April 2008 - 01:32 PM.

"Tyranny is a quiet thing at first, a prim and proper lady pursing her lips and shaking her head disapprovingly, asking, well what were you doing (wearing that dress, walking home at that hour, expressing those inappropriate thoughts) anyway? It's subtle and insidious, disguised as reasonable precautions which become more and more oppressive over time, until our lives are defined by the things we must avoid. She's easy enough to agree with, after all, she's only trying to help -- and yet she's one of the most dangerous influences we face, because if she prevails, it puts the raping, robbing, axe-wielding madmen of the world in complete control. Eventually they'll barely need to wield a thing, all they'll have to do is leer menacingly and we fall all over ourselves trying to placate them." -godlizard

#13 cmorgan

cmorgan
  • Modder
  • 2301 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 01:39 PM

ARAN: ~Correlon's Left Buttock - a Sun Elf necromancer. Aye, that do beat all. You don't seem that standoffish to me. Don't seem to be dead, neither. In fact, a pretty healthy lass, all told. Dance much? I know this litttle inn, just back o' the third block in Trademeet...~

#14 Alatariel

Alatariel

Inquisitor!

• 479 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 03:36 AM

Lauretha:

An elf? No, that is merely the circumstance of my birth.

Oh, but it is so much more... But we can discuss it later on. If you live long enough, come back in few centuries. I will be waiting to pick up this thread of conversation. For now lets drop it. Some things simply need time.

However, to prevent a misunderstanding I must make one thing clear: ruminating on the tone of your reply, it seems that you view me as an old, bored elf full of tradition (and herself), happily blind in her communion with the 'elven spirit'. I am hardly that. I care little for the elven sense of what is 'worthy' and what is not. I apologise if I came across as patronising - it wasn't my intention. I am interested in observing and learning - not judging.

Also, when I referred to your desire of learning more of the race you came from I was asking more of the lack or presence of the desire itself, not how it played out. You say that your elven identity ' is something that plays often upon my mind. ' - and that answers my question much better than your feeling - or lack of thereof - of belonging.

But, lets return to the topic on hand. I still have few questions, this time completely unrelated to elvendom:
What do you think of planar travel? Can you see yourself as a planewalker, somewhere in the distant future? Remedies for nearly everything can be found in the multiverse.
You seem to have a strong will and natural charm - where you ever particularly interested in the school of enchantment? or of a career as a bard, for that matter?
You are pretty hedonistic and quite foolhardy, or at least appear to be. Will you wish to restrain yourself a little bit while in Charname's company?

And - I thank you for your elaborate answer, Ninde.

Edited by Alatariel, 30 April 2008 - 03:37 AM.

'NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition! Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency! Our *three* weapons are fear, surprise, and ruthless efficiency...and an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope.... Our *four*...no... *Amongst* our weapons.... Amongst our weaponry...are such elements as fear, surpr-... I'll come in again.

NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition!... Amongst our weaponry are such diverse elements as: fear, surprise, ruthless efficiency, an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope, and nice red uniforms - Oh damn!'

#15 Azkyroth

Azkyroth
  • Modder
  • 3496 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 02:26 AM

Arkalian: "Do you always leave people hanging like this?"

"Tyranny is a quiet thing at first, a prim and proper lady pursing her lips and shaking her head disapprovingly, asking, well what were you doing (wearing that dress, walking home at that hour, expressing those inappropriate thoughts) anyway? It's subtle and insidious, disguised as reasonable precautions which become more and more oppressive over time, until our lives are defined by the things we must avoid. She's easy enough to agree with, after all, she's only trying to help -- and yet she's one of the most dangerous influences we face, because if she prevails, it puts the raping, robbing, axe-wielding madmen of the world in complete control. Eventually they'll barely need to wield a thing, all they'll have to do is leer menacingly and we fall all over ourselves trying to placate them." -godlizard

#16 Deva

Deva

Possum of the Grotto

• Modder
  • 1378 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 04:36 AM

You study necromancy Ninbe, so which of the three fascinates you the most;
The life it takes,
The life it gives,
Or the moment when it happens?

I was never callous enough to enjoy the moment of death, never benevolent enough to enjoy giving it. It was the art that appealed the most - although Necromancy is more a science. If I hadn't been a necromancer I suppose I would've been a surgeon. I'm delightfully ghastly, am I not?

Nurture over nature? Such misguided glory. What say you then of the fact that you do not sleep, that you will far outlive your so-called people, that you are not and never will be remotely human?

You speak so confidently of something you know nothing of; due to a few select incidents and individuals... most of the characteristics that marked me as an elf have since been taken away from me. The reverie? I remember what that felt like, though only vaguely.

Darian: For once, I agree with the shadow druid. How can you claim to think of yourself as human when you aged far more slowly then your peers? Is it that disconnection, that you are still young when your childhood friends are dust in the earth that drove you to such depths as necromancy?

There is no profound reason behind my selection of necromancy as my chosen school. As I say, it's processes, it's delicate measures, the slender ribbons connecting soul to body, grass to corpse... I was fascinated by it. I still am. And as I say, the toothsome mage to whom I was apprenticed made *all* the difference. (Smile)

*Arkalian looks up* "'Nurture over nature?' Care to elaborate? Also, I'm curious about what initially drew you to magic in general and necromancy in particular."

I mean simply that I believe the influence of one's upbringing is greater then any supposedly inherent traits of one's race. It is a common and saccharine supposition that elves are somehow 'inherently good'. Pish. I'm about as inherently good as a troll picking it's nose.

ARAN: ~Correlon's Left Buttock - a Sun Elf necromancer. Aye, that do beat all. You don't seem that standoffish to me. Don't seem to be dead, neither. In fact, a pretty healthy lass, all told. Dance much? I know this litttle inn, just back o' the third block in Trademeet...~

Well... Ninde never says no to a nice young mad. Providing you're not a Zhent, that is. I've been *there* before... (and I still have the scars. External one's that is. Inner turmoil is for Bhaalspawn and moon elves. Hah.)

What do you think of planar travel? Can you see yourself as a planewalker, somewhere in the distant future? Remedies for nearly everything can be found in the multiverse.

That sounds rather too much like hard work, to me. And rather flies in the face of my dull resignation.

You seem to have a strong will and natural charm - where you ever particularly interested in the school of enchantment? or of a career as a bard, for that matter?

A bard! Hah! I would've smashed my lute as soon as played a dull note. That's another quaint presumption people tend to have about elves; that we have particularly resonant and marvelous singing voices. If I decided to sing, darling, you'd be picking the broken fragments of glass off the floor for weeks. As for enchantment... how very dull. One may as well sit around embroidering cushion covers.

You are pretty hedonistic and quite foolhardy, or at least appear to be. Will you wish to restrain yourself a little bit while in Charname's company?

Ugh, <CHARNAME> is as dry as Anauroch and as slow as an Ogrillon with a nervous twitch on stilts. Restraint? The only things I'm not good at are jam-making, restraint, and household chores.

Arkalian: "Do you always leave people hanging like this?"

As a rule, yes. It enhances my mystique, don't you think? (Winks)

Sorry it's taken me so long to reply! I've been rather hung up recently. But I have got two lovetalks written. Forgive me? Please? :D

Edited by Hishi, 10 May 2008 - 07:42 AM.

Ninde_ad.gif

143450.png176206.png

Click to feed.

Adopted from Valenth

#17 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 04:40 AM

YOU ARE FORGIVEN. NOW JUST POST THEM SO THEY MAY BE CODED, O GREAT ONE. :D

Ninde. Sweetheart. Darling. Apple of my eye. Lovemuffin.

I have a lovely room booked in the Mithrest. I've had it soundproofed. I'm fabulously wealthy and want a shag.

What say you?

#18 Deva

Deva

Possum of the Grotto

• Modder
  • 1378 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 07:48 AM

YOU ARE FORGIVEN. NOW JUST POST THEM SO THEY MAY BE CODED, O GREAT ONE. :D

Ninde. Sweetheart. Darling. Apple of my eye. Lovemuffin.

I have a lovely room booked in the Mithrest. I've had it soundproofed. I'm fabulously wealthy and want a shag.

What say you?

Why, Liam! You are a man of no account! We have a strictly professional relationship, darling. 'Tis a pity about the room at the Mithrest. I know a good drab if that would suit you? Madame Nin and myself are naturally on the best of terms.

Ninde_ad.gif

143450.png176206.png

Click to feed.

Adopted from Valenth

#19 cmorgan

cmorgan
  • Modder
  • 2301 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 07:54 AM

== C-ARANJ ~Oi, there, you... I was speakin' wi' the fine lady, here. Have a round on me, an' let your betters get on wi' the flirtin'. Specially as your money is them funny iron crescents.~
= ~Now, then, lassie. No, no Cyric-blighted Black Tower in my background. Though I do have some good remedies what's good for scars. Got one m'self, you know. Come, now... how'd ye get mixed up wi' a bad bunch like those? Here, let me fill your glass. Good Calimshan wine, this stuff.~

#20 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 08:05 AM

You speak so confidently of something you know nothing of; due to a few select incidents and individuals... most of the characteristics that marked me as an elf have since been taken away from me. The reverie? I remember what that felt like, though only vaguely.

Xarana: Then you are an abomination, and like all such abominations, must be purged.
Tempest: Ahem. No killing.

There is no profound reason behind my selection of necromancy as my chosen school. As I say, it's processes, it's delicate measures, the slender ribbons connecting soul to body, grass to corpse... I was fascinated by it. I still am. And as I say, the toothsome mage to whom I was apprenticed made *all* the difference. (Smile)

Darian: Forgive me if I'm skeptical. Would I be mistaken to assume this was a sexual relationship, as opposed to one of the emotional variety?