DA: Mods

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#1 Lord Ernie

Lord Ernie
  • Modder
  • 755 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 04:36 PM

Just something I figured I could share with you. These are some of the first mods made for the game.

First off, the dexterity mod, made by Georg Zoeller, lead system designer of DA. It's sort of a testrun for a future patch; this fixes the issues with dexterity and daggers (making their damage 0.5 str / 0.5 dex, as they are supposed to be, rather than 1.0 str), and makes bows significantly stronger, as well. Rogues, don't leave home without it.

Second, Character Respecialization, which allows you to completely respec your own and any of your companions with ease. Look for the Raven in the camp after installing it. Warning: make sure you have unlocked their specializations before you attempt this, cause you need them available as a choice to be able to pick them at all. Make a backup save for security.

Edited by Lord Ernie, 13 November 2009 - 04:37 PM.

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move - Douglas Adams

I like persons better than principles, and I like persons with no principles better than anything else in the world - Oscar Wilde

Give a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. But set a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

#2 the bigg

the bigg

2083 is a prime number.

• Modder
  • 3331 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 04:52 PM

Surprised it's not a nude patch.

Italian users: help test the Stivan NPC!

Author or Co-Author: WeiDU - Widescreen - Generalized Biffing - Refinements - TB#Tweaks - IWD2Tweaks - TB#Characters - Traify Tool - Some mods that I won't mention in public
Maintainer: Semi-Multi Clerics - Nalia Mod - Nvidia Fix
Code dumps: Detect custom secondary types - Stutter Investigator

If possible, send diffs, translations and other contributions using Git.

#3 Icendoan

Icendoan

"An Infinite Deal of Nothing"

• 1723 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 01:56 AM

And I STILL can't get the toolset to work :(

Icen
Proud member of the 'I HATE Elminster!' Club!

Mods in development: Keeping Yoshimo

#4 Discordia

Discordia
  • 324 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 03:20 AM

sweet, respec my companions. i think i ll have morrigan start with cone of cold...

#5 Waywocket

Waywocket
  • 98 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 04:57 AM

In the other thread, Yovaneth got it to work using the side-by-side database installation. Did that not work for you?

Additionally, I'm not certain that it actually starts the needed database service automatically, so you could try checking that.

#6 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 07:36 AM

Interesting... I might try those out, especially the respec one.

Edit: You can browse all the started/finished (social site) mod projects here.

Surprised it's not a nude patch.

I guess the 18+ stamp on the game has something to do with one not being out yet - it wouldn't gain as much attention as one such did for Oblivion for example, which had its ESRB rating changed post-launch (although the devs did leave the nude skin texture in, which probably accounted for a lot when it came to changing the rating).

Edited by Archmage Silver, 14 November 2009 - 08:22 AM.

#7 Icendoan

Icendoan

• 1723 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 09:30 AM

In the other thread, Yovaneth got it to work using the side-by-side database installation. Did that not work for you?

Additionally, I'm not certain that it actually starts the needed database service automatically, so you could try checking that.

I ran the installer, and the toolset installs fine. Something about SQL05 didn't install, but I can remember which. It was the last or second last component. I already have express 08, though. It points me to a wiki which has nothing on it.

I don't work with databases, so I wouldn't know where to begin to check if the database exists. :(

Myst

#8 Waywocket

Waywocket
  • 98 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 04:38 AM

I ran the installer, and the toolset installs fine. Something about SQL05 didn't install, but I can remember which. It was the last or second last component. I already have express 08, though. It points me to a wiki which has nothing on it.

I don't work with databases, so I wouldn't know where to begin to check if the database exists. :(

Myst

If you go to Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services, there should be a service called something like 'SQL Server <something>' - I don't know exactly since I don't have that version. Make sure that's started. You could also run the toolset configuration program in the 'Dragon Age\tools' directory, and see if it's set to 'default database'. It might be worth reinstalling the toolset though so you can check exactly what the error was, and post it to the BioWare tech support forum.

#9 Icendoan

Icendoan

• 1723 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 05:55 AM

I can't post in the BW forum, because it doesn't like me being 16. :(

The error is a SQL error, not with the toolset. It won't install the database services. :(

TITLE: Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Setup
------------------------------

SQL Server Setup failed to execute a command for server configuration. The error was [Microsoft][SQL Native Client][SQL Server]CREATE DATABASE failed. Some file names listed could not be created. Check related errors.. Refer to the server error logs and Setup logs for detailed error information.

For help, click: http://go.microsoft....7...ql@118@x70a

BUTTONS:

&Retry
Cancel

Is the error message I get. This is all it tells me, unless you want my install logs.

Icen

#10 GeN1e

GeN1e

A very GAR character

• Modder
  • 1604 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 08:08 AM

I can't post in the BW forum, because it doesn't like me being 16.

Well, since DA was rated M, that means you're not supposed to play it yet :)

Retired from modding.

#11 Icendoan

Icendoan

• 1723 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 10:49 AM

Didn't stop me buying it as me on Steam, though XD

Icen

#12 Michael

Michael

NullCascade

• 116 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 11:31 AM

Is the error message I get. This is all it tells me, unless you want my install logs.

Icen

http://social.biowar...ing_the_toolset

If you can't get there due to your age, basically in MS SQL 2005, there's a problem reading long path names. You can fix it by (mid-installation) opening \Steam\steamapps\common\dragon age origins\tools\toolssql\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Install\Sysdbupg.sql

Find: SELECT @certificate_name = QUOTENAME(@certificate_name, '''')
Replace: SELECT @certificate_name = '''' + REPLACE(@certificate_name, '''', '''''') + ''''

Save the file, click 'retry' in the installation, and then you should be good.

If you then get this error: "SQL Server Setup failed to execute a command for server configuration. The error was [Microsoft][SQL Native Client][SQL Server]CREATE DATABASE failed." simply open up Sysdbupg.sql and erase its contents. Save, retry, and you again should be good.

You may have to completely uninstall the toolset and MS SQL 2005 before attempting this.
This is the Internet, where men are men, women are men, and children are the FBI.

What is IEMI?

Please provide feedback on IEMI.

#13 the bigg

the bigg

2083 is a prime number.

• Modder
  • 3331 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 01:22 PM

Is it possible to configure the toolset to use a DB engine other than MSSQL?
(probably not, since SQLite is public domain so they would've used that, but still worth asking)

Italian users: help test the Stivan NPC!

Author or Co-Author: WeiDU - Widescreen - Generalized Biffing - Refinements - TB#Tweaks - IWD2Tweaks - TB#Characters - Traify Tool - Some mods that I won't mention in public
Maintainer: Semi-Multi Clerics - Nalia Mod - Nvidia Fix
Code dumps: Detect custom secondary types - Stutter Investigator

If possible, send diffs, translations and other contributions using Git.

#14 Michael

Michael

NullCascade

• 116 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 01:38 PM

Short of getting the source code for the toolset or (more likely) creating a wrapper around the toolset that remaps all queries to an SQLite database, no.

There is a setting at the startup for using a custom DB though, so could well be wrong.
This is the Internet, where men are men, women are men, and children are the FBI.

What is IEMI?

#15 Icendoan

Icendoan

• 1723 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 02:19 PM

Still get the same error. :(

Icen

#16 GeN1e

GeN1e

A very GAR character

• Modder
  • 1604 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 02:37 PM

@Icen
Jack Tompson sees all from high above. None shall escape the divine punishment of broken toolsets.

(Couldn't resist :))

Retired from modding.

#17 Michael

Michael

NullCascade

• 116 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 09:01 PM

@Icendoan:
Did you completely uninstall the toolset, Microsoft SQL 2005 first? You should then be able to reinstall, get the error, open up that directory, change the file(s), and click "retry" in the installer to get it to work.

Edited by Michael, 15 November 2009 - 09:01 PM.

What is IEMI?

#18 Pain Elemental

Pain Elemental

Always here, just look harder.

• 643 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 01:24 AM

Camp Storage Chest
http://social.bioware.com/project/463/

Instant Cast Shifting
http://dragonage.gul...ds/instantshift

New Morrigan and Leiliana faces
http://social.bioware.com/project/561/

Alternate Sten Face
http://social.bioware.com/project/443/
After an eternity away from you all, I've returned.

#19 Icendoan

Icendoan

• 1723 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 08:25 AM

@Icendoan:
Did you completely uninstall the toolset, Microsoft SQL 2005 first? You should then be able to reinstall, get the error, open up that directory, change the file(s), and click "retry" in the installer to get it to work.

/facepalm

It now works fine! Thanks!

Icen

#20 Choo Choo

Choo Choo

AIR CONDITIONER GRILL

• Modder
  • 3001 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 10:00 AM

Hmm, just vague thinking (please don't be surprised) here, and I haven't as much as looked at the toolset yet, but wouldn't it be possible to make the party banter BG-style, game-pausing dialogue? Would it? I'd use that mod, certainly.

theacefes: You have to be realistic as well, you can't just be Swedish!