• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#21 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 06:26 AM

I've got some news people :D

In my latest no biffing install, I'd accidentally unpacked Exnem's with everything else :doh: but the only error/warning I got was for the REEVOR.cre error that Exnem's famous for (which is caused by BGT btw ;)) so the tooltip.2da stuff probably isn't the li'l mod's fault :lol:

Attached my BWP debug.txt for review (as you can see I quit after DrizztSaga cause I knew the install was borked cause of REEVOR.cre :P but you can still see CtB and NTotSC install pretty well :coolthumb:)

Attached Files

"I am the smiley addict, yellow and round, this is my grin :D when I'm usually around :P.
When there's trouble brewing, see me post, cuz it's usually a wall o' yellow and your eyes are toast!!!"

BWP GUIDE - BWP FIXES - impFAQ - NPC LIST - KIT LIST - AREA LIST

GitHub Links : BWP Fixpack | Lolfixer | BWP Trimpack | RezMod

#22 Leomar

Leomar
  • 1720 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 08:42 AM

I've tried NTotSC with 21300 recently and I didn't get any errors :unsure: (didn't check for warnings though :P)

It is not a correct comparison, because you have a different installation. Like you can see in my WeiDU.log above, I've installed only:

A64 XP-Patch
A64 Charm-Patch
BG2 Fixpack
TDD
SoS
CtB

It could be that the other mods you've additional installed before CtB changes something, so CtB gets no warning. :blink: But with the above 6 mods only, I've this CtB warning in my installation. :wacko:

The second different between our installations is, that I tried to install Item Revisions after BGT, to see, if you can install it with the installed big BG2 mods. So my installation until NTotSC looks like:

A64 XP-Patch
A64 Charm-Patch
BG2 Fixpack
TDD
SoS
CtB
BGT
Item Revisions
DSotSC
NToTSC

I think, I'll test and try the following installation to see if it works:

BG2 Fixpack
CtB
BGT
DSotSC
NToTSC

Greetings Leomar
A Megamod does not mean that you can play all of the mods or all of their content,
but you have more choices or paths through the game.
- Chevalier

BiG World Project - Big Baldur's Gate World

#23 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 10:02 AM

Oh :P Sorry bout the wrong debug. About IR and BGT, Mike1072 did say that something's gonna be done for IRv3 ... ;)

"I am the smiley addict, yellow and round, this is my grin :D when I'm usually around :P.
When there's trouble brewing, see me post, cuz it's usually a wall o' yellow and your eyes are toast!!!"

#24 Hoppy

Hoppy

Mage Hunter

• 2107 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 11:21 AM

I've tried NTotSC with 21300 recently and I didn't get any errors :unsure: (didn't check for warnings though :P)

It is not a correct comparison, because you have a different installation. Like you can see in my WeiDU.log above, I've installed only:

A64 XP-Patch
A64 Charm-Patch
BG2 Fixpack
TDD
SoS
CtB

It could be that the other mods you've additional installed before CtB changes something, so CtB gets no warning. :blink: But with the above 6 mods only, I've this CtB warning in my installation. :wacko:

The second different between our installations is, that I tried to install Item Revisions after BGT, to see, if you can install it with the installed big BG2 mods. So my installation until NTotSC looks like:

A64 XP-Patch
A64 Charm-Patch
BG2 Fixpack
TDD
SoS
CtB
BGT
Item Revisions
DSotSC
NToTSC

I think, I'll test and try the following installation to see if it works:

BG2 Fixpack
CtB
BGT
DSotSC
NToTSC

Greetings Leomar

Do that and gradually add one more mod like the A64 Xp-Patch and test. Then add the charm patch only and see if you can duplicate the error leaving out Item revisions for now. When you can't get the error, add in Item Revisions where you think you want it to go (I think early is what the BWP was doing). Of course this is a lot of installing and testing but you should be used to this :lol:.

From what I know and see in CTB, the extension in the tooltip is for 10 columns because of some of the items CtB has. The tooltip gets really f$@#'d up later with something else if I recall meaning all the columns are shifted over and the items' abilities are misplaced with descriptions (as Mike1072 mentioned also). I forgot to look at CtB to see if this problem was its own doing or something else but regardless, it wasn't anything to botch another installation especially with NTotSC which has been installed with CtB 1.09, 1.10, and 1.11 without any failures.
?May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies.? - Voltaire

"If you think that a size of the mod indicates an amount of bugs that it introduces and their severity you're totally wrong...
Try not to use next time a load of shitty "super-mega-improving-tweaking-revising" small mods that you have installed and try to meet Wulfgar once again."
- King Diamond

Posted Image The Definitive Guide to Trolls

"Finding food and a place to sleep is your own business. I imagine Paul the Cat should have some fun with you, too" - Potencius in The Darkest Day
"You have been warned, little bastard!" -Khelben to a young <CHARNAME>in Check the Bodies
There are those who will snivel, and offer nothing in return except criticism, meanwhile never lifting a finger to do other than to cut other peoples labor down simply for the fact that they lack the capability to put anything of their own together. -erebusant

#25 Leomar

Leomar
  • 1720 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 04:02 AM

I?ve done some installation tests.

At first to look if all is fine with NTotSC. I?ve installed:
- BG2 Fixpack
- BGT
- DSotSC
- NTotSC
Results: All is fine.

Then with Item Revisions:
- BG2 Fixpack
- BGT
- Item Revisions
- DSotSC
- NTotSC

O.K. now to CtB with this installation:
- BG2 Fixpack
- CtB
- BGT
- DSotSC
- NTotSC

Then added SoS:
- BG2 Fixpack
- SoS
- CtB
- BGT
- DSotSC
- NTotSC

Then with TDD and without SoS:
- BG2 Fixpack
- TDD
- CtB
- BGT
- DSotSC
- NTotSC
Results: CtB warning, NTotSC installs fine

Then with TDD and SoS:
- BG2 Fixpack
- TDD
- SoS
- CtB
- BGT
- DSotSC
- NTotSC
Results: CtB warning (is different to the TDD-CtB one) , NTotSC installs fine

You can see the warning of CtB in the setup-ctb.debug only, and the warning is not displayed in the DOS-window during the installation. Therefore it is not reported in our ?BiG World Debug.txt?. So I don?t really know, if the warning of CtB exists since a long time and nobody has reported it, yet, or the warning is new... The main problem is, that CtB gets a warning, but displayed every time ?Successfully Installed?. Normally it should be ?Installed with Warnings?.

Attached are the CtB-debugs, the tooltip.2da?s after each installed mod (until before BGT and with a final one after NTotSC) and a WeiDU.log, so you can see how the mods was be installed.

Like you can see above, CtB gets a warning with TDD only. And the warning is different, if another mod is installed after TDD and before CtB (in my case SoS). But in all cases NTotSC installed successfully.

The different of the TP2s of the big mods are, that the commands of the tooltip.2da/set_2DA_entry are added line by line, only CtB added it with a big block.

My thought is, that the test installation of trying to install Item Revisions after BGT results in not installing NTotSC, because of all what happens with the tooltip.2da/set_2DA_entry during the installation. It looks like, that our BWP installation order is fine, because with Item Revisons installed before the big BG2 mods, the engine can handle the tooltip.2da/set_2DA_entry changes.

Lollorian could you look into the setup-ctb.debug (of your BWP installation), if you have a warning there?

At the end, TDD causes CtB to get the warning.

And I hope that the new Item Revisions version comes with a BG1 component so we can do the following installation:

- BG2 Fixpack
- Item Revisions (Main components)
- big BG2 mods
- BGT
- Item Revisions (BG1 component)

Greetings Leomar

Attached Files

A Megamod does not mean that you can play all of the mods or all of their content,
but you have more choices or paths through the game.
- Chevalier

BiG World Project - Big Baldur's Gate World

#26 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 04:22 AM

Here's my CtB-Debug :) And yeah, it has some kinda warning stuff :P (WeiDU.log in the biffing thread btw)
[./override/TOOLTIP.2DA] loaded, 11200 bytes
WARNING: Fast SET_2DA_ENTRY failed, falling back on old method...
override/TOOLTIP.2DA copied to CtB/backup/0/TOOLTIP.2DA, 11200 bytes

Attached Files

#27 Hoppy

Hoppy

Mage Hunter

• 2107 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 12:39 AM

Here's my CtB-Debug :) And yeah, it has some kinda warning stuff :P (WeiDU.log in the biffing thread btw)

It doesn't say installed with warnings because the patching didn't fail.
Dealing with TOOLTIP.2DA ...
Copying and patching 1 file ...
Copied [TOOLTIP.2DA] to [override/TOOLTIP.2DA]
Appending to files ...
[./override/TOOLTIP.2DA] loaded, 73699 bytes
Appended text to [TOOLTIP.2DA]
Copying and patching 1 file ...
[./override/TOOLTIP.2DA] loaded, 77090 bytes
Copied [TOOLTIP.2DA] to [override/TOOLTIP.2DA]
Appending to files ...

It appended the text and the columns like it is supposed to. I have done nothing new with this part of the TP2 except using Weidu 212.

Edited by Hoppy, 27 January 2010 - 12:39 AM.

?May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies.? - Voltaire

"If you think that a size of the mod indicates an amount of bugs that it introduces and their severity you're totally wrong...
Try not to use next time a load of shitty "super-mega-improving-tweaking-revising" small mods that you have installed and try to meet Wulfgar once again."
- King Diamond

"Finding food and a place to sleep is your own business. I imagine Paul the Cat should have some fun with you, too" - Potencius in The Darkest Day
"You have been warned, little bastard!" -Khelben to a young <CHARNAME>in Check the Bodies
There are those who will snivel, and offer nothing in return except criticism, meanwhile never lifting a finger to do other than to cut other peoples labor down simply for the fact that they lack the capability to put anything of their own together. -erebusant

#28 -wut-

-wut-

Posted 27 January 2010 - 03:51 AM

Regardless of where this error is coming from, CtB shouldn't be trying to add all these columns to tooltip.2da. When items are linked to .sto, .cre, or .are, there is only a charges field for three abilities. Anything after that gets mashed together and "stored" (in temporary memory only while the game is running) on top of a field that's not supposed to contain data about charges. It takes a little doing to work this into a crash, but these items will never work properly.

#29 Hoppy

Hoppy

Mage Hunter

• 2107 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 10:06 PM

CtB or TDD screws up the tooltip and it looks unaligned. Now this is only a hotfix for reshifting descriptions for backpack powers of items to say the right strings for now and can be done after TDD and CtB are installed.

Pay attention, it's really hard:

(Top left portion of tooltip.2da)

2DA
WAND05

Remove the stupid 0 over WAND05 :P

This may help prevent other mods from freaking out as well.

Apparently this has been a problem before with WeiDU191:

http://www.shsforums...post__p__244482

I can't make sense of any of it as far as the coding goes, please help.

Edited by Hoppy, 20 March 2010 - 10:56 PM.

- King Diamond

#30 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 02:13 AM

I can't make sense of any of it as far as the coding goes, please help.

It probably goes of in the line because the -1 is actually counted in all the lines after... as the line is like this:
2DA V1.0
0                 1            2           3
WAND05            15531        13047       -1

And the final product can look like this:
2DA V1.0
                  1            2           3
Or like this:
2DA V1.0
-1                1            2           3

Edited by Jarno Mikkola, 21 March 2010 - 02:14 AM.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#31 the bigg

the bigg

2083 is a prime number.

• Modder
  • 3331 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 05:00 AM

If you're going to recode that, test it against the WeiDU beta.

Italian users: help test the Stivan NPC!

Author or Co-Author: WeiDU - Widescreen - Generalized Biffing - Refinements - TB#Tweaks - IWD2Tweaks - TB#Characters - Traify Tool - Some mods that I won't mention in public
Maintainer: Semi-Multi Clerics - Nalia Mod - Nvidia Fix
Code dumps: Detect custom secondary types - Stutter Investigator

If possible, send diffs, translations and other contributions using Git.

#32 Hoppy

Hoppy

Mage Hunter

• 2107 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 11:07 AM

If you're going to recode that, test it against the WeiDU beta.

I don't know what to do, I'm flailing. :doh:

EDIT: All I can download is weidu213 which TDD 113 ships with and I am testing. Also I don't have access to the WeiDU beta forum but I am a member at PPG. So I don't know how to test with the beta or what code I can try.

Edited by Hoppy, 21 March 2010 - 11:14 AM.

- King Diamond

#33 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 12:58 PM

EDIT: All I can download is weidu213 which TDD 113 ships with and I am testing. Also I don't have access to the WeiDU beta forum but I am a member at PPG. So I don't know how to test with the beta or what code I can try.

Did you notice that the WeiDU.exe the beta archive(it says itself to be v213, but it's actually the beta) ships with should be larger than the 'normal' WeiDU.exe... it's a small byte difference, but still visible in winrar:
Posted Image

Edited by Jarno Mikkola, 21 March 2010 - 01:07 PM.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#34 Hoppy

Hoppy

Mage Hunter

• 2107 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 01:38 PM

That's awesome but I still don't know how to code the changes.

- King Diamond

#35 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 06:23 PM

Eh, well it's probably best to fix whatever mod hosed tooltip.2da by putting a zero there in the first place. To fix it after the fact, it might be as easy as:
COPY_EXISTING tooltip.2da override
  SET_2DA_ENTRY 0 0 2 ~~ //Set the upper left entry of the first row containing at least 2 columns to null
BUT_ONLY
Though I totally haven't tested that, so I don't know if it takes a null value, and I always get the column/row counts wrong, so you might have to mess with it a bit.

(Incidentally, if you need to mess with tooltip.2da when it contains an unknown number of columns, check the .tp2 for Thrown Hammers.)

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#36 Hoppy

Hoppy

Mage Hunter

• 2107 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 09:41 PM

Eh, well it's probably best to fix whatever mod hosed tooltip.2da by putting a zero there in the first place. To fix it after the fact, it might be as easy as:
  SET_2DA_ENTRY 0 0 2 ~~ //Set the upper left entry of the first row containing at least 2 columns to null
BUT_ONLY
Though I totally haven't tested that, so I don't know if it takes a null value, and I always get the column/row counts wrong, so you might have to mess with it a bit.

(Incidentally, if you need to mess with tooltip.2da when it contains an unknown number of columns, check the .tp2 for Thrown Hammers.)

TDD initially adds the 0 with its column adding and then CtB uses similar code as TDD to add its column adding so that is where things start going awry pretty earl on. I am sure SoS and RoT might also use the same code, at least check for them since King Diamond updated them all together just about the same times.

Thanks for the advice with the code and I will try some things out and it will probably take me months. Everything I tried would make WeiDU fail and stop installation kind of like the early thread I linked to. I just downloaded a lot of those MIsc mods that have been updated recently so I will check out the TH. :new_thumbs:

The WEiDU tut on set 2da entry made some sense but it leaves me hanging and "that's the end of this tutorial:" Haha!

- King Diamond

#37 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 10:57 PM

TDD initially adds the 0 with its column adding and then CtB uses similar code as TDD to add its column adding so that is where things start going awry pretty earl on. I am sure SoS and RoT might also use the same code, at least check for them since King Diamond updated them all together just about the same times.

Just delete this block from all affected mod tp2s:
READ_2DA_ENTRY 0 0 3 "test"
PATCH_IF ( "%test%"=1 ) BEGIN
  SET_2DA_ENTRY 0 0 3 "0                  1"
END
Or replace it with a PRETTY_PRINT_2DA instead, which seems to be the purpose of the code (i.e. to indent the 3rd line). Though I did not test what affect that change would make to subsequent code.

This is line ~3276 in Setup-TDD.tp2, but it also occurs in BP, CtB, NTotSC and RoT. At least in the versions on my old install.

Another way to fix it would be to apply the following after all the KD mods are installed:
  SET_2DA_ENTRY 0 0 3 ~ ~
BUT_ONLY
I was off by 1 on the required column count (the third number after SET_2DA_ENTRY) since it parses the first row ("2DA V1.0") as a row with 2 columns due to the space. Also, you can replace the 0 with a null ~~, but a space ~ ~ lines up the columns better if you're looking at the 2da in a text editor.

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#38 Mike1072

Mike1072
  • Modder
  • 539 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 11:25 PM

If I were you, I'd rewrite the tooltip.2da code for these mods from scratch. It wouldn't take that long, and it'd be easier to maintain if you knew what the heck the code was doing.

I'd separate this into two steps:

1) What information do you need to add to the game? This would probably just be a list of "item mdsw1h01's first tooltip should display string X, and its second tooltip should display string Y".

2) How are you going to get this information into tooltip.2da? This would be the thing that interacts with the file and has to worry about how many columns it has.

By separating 1 from 2, you can keep the high-level information readable, and outsource all of the low-level tasks. In WeiDU terms, you'd have a function that adds new items to tooltip.2da, and you'd call it once for each item you were adding. If a bug was discovered, you'd only need to modify the function, while the code that deals with the what items have what strings could stay safe and unchanged.

In the near-ish future I'll be rewriting the tooltip.2da macro we've been using in IR, and you'll be free to borrow it.

#39 Hoppy

Hoppy

Mage Hunter

• 2107 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 12:52 AM

Thanks Mike1072 and Miloch! :cheers:

I think this nice little piece of code works in my TDD1.13 test install. It is something I will have to test out with CtB et al including BP cause for so long the tooltips have been screwing up. I will post what I did here for my memory at least but I will have to modify other TP2 as well so everything is on the same page.

TDD will have another language update in a couple months so I can iron things out by then with TDD's TP2. Once I test the other mega mods together with the code I can post some TP2 corrections. However, if anyone wants to try it like with BWP, be my guest. :)

REPLACE ~66666671~ @20070
 REPLACE ~77777791~ @20071
 REPLACE ~77777792~ @20072
 REPLACE ~88888884~ @20073

REPLACE ~66666672~ @20074
 REPLACE ~77777793~ @20075

REPLACE ~66666673~ @20076
 REPLACE ~77777794~ @20077
 REPLACE ~77777795~ @20078

/////////////////////////////////////Add this change to format Tooltip correctly
  SET_2DA_ENTRY 0 0 3 ~ ~
BUT_ONLY_IF_IT_CHANGES

Edited by Hoppy, 25 March 2010 - 01:15 AM.

- King Diamond

#40 the bigg

the bigg

2083 is a prime number.

• Modder
  • 3331 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 05:00 AM

Should I revert the WeiDU fix (which causes CtB to fail) or are you going to fix & upload CtB soon?

Italian users: help test the Stivan NPC!

Author or Co-Author: WeiDU - Widescreen - Generalized Biffing - Refinements - TB#Tweaks - IWD2Tweaks - TB#Characters - Traify Tool - Some mods that I won't mention in public
Maintainer: Semi-Multi Clerics - Nalia Mod - Nvidia Fix
Code dumps: Detect custom secondary types - Stutter Investigator

If possible, send diffs, translations and other contributions using Git.