Photo

Vague errors when installing

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 Qwallath

Qwallath
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 11:49 AM

I get an install error as well. Attached is my debug file. Any help is appreciated. I'd love to try out this mod!

Attached Files

#2 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 03:28 PM

I get an install error as well. Attached is my debug file.

Hmm...

Copied [FIRORC01.CRE] to [override/FIRORC01.CRE]
[./override/FIRORC02.CRE] loaded, 1136 bytes
Appending to files ...
[aurora/backup/scripted_cres.csv] loaded, 28875 bytes
Stopping installation because of error.
ERROR: [FIRORC02.CRE] -> [override/FIRORC02.CRE] Patching Failed (COPY) (Sys_error("aurora/backup/scripted_cres.csv: Invalid argument"))

Really helpful message there, WeiDU :wall:. Not sure why it would patch firorc01.cre and all the creatures before it but get hung up on firorc02.cre.

Can you attach the firorc02.cre from your override folder please. Or better yet, do a weidu --change-log firorc02.cre and post both the results and the resulting FIRORC02*.CRE files from your game folder. There are instructions on how to do that under #5 in this post, or I can try to provide instructions if that's unclear. Cheers.

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#3 Qwallath

Qwallath
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 01:22 AM

Tried to do a changelog, but have failed so far.
I entered the right code (I think) into cmd.exe, but it says the path isn't correct. Might try again later and see what I did wrong.

In the mean time, here is the firorc02.cre file.

I went ahead and installed other mods after I failed to install aurora yesterday, by the way. Not sure if that will muddy up the debugging process... <_<

Attached Files

#4 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 09:20 AM

Tried to do a changelog, but have failed so far. I entered the right code (I think) into cmd.exe, but it says the path isn't correct.

You have to make sure there's a copy of WeiDU.exe in your game folder and then go to that folder. Just copy and rename a mod's setup-modname.exe if WeiDU.exe isn't there. Then from Start > Run > cmd.exe enter:
cd c:\games\bg2 (or wherever your game is installed)
weidu --change-log firorc02.cre --out firorc02.txt
Then zip/rar everything named firorc02.* from your game folder and attach it here.

Edit: by the way, you don't have antivirus, firewall or adaware type software running while you're installing, do you? We've seen a couple other users who have erratic problems like this that can't be replicated, because certain antivirus packages will occasionally block WeiDU activity.

Edited by Miloch, 23 December 2009 - 09:22 AM.

Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#5 Qwallath

Qwallath
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 11:14 AM

Seems to have run ok now. Voici:

Just to make sure, I've added my current weidulog. I tried to install Aurora between Assassinations and Dungeon Be Gone.

Attached Files

#6 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 03:03 PM

Just to make sure, I've added my current weidulog. I tried to install Aurora between Assassinations and Dungeon Be Gone.

The only other mod that touched the firorc02.cre file at that point in your install was the Fixpack, and the .cre file checks out fine. I tried to reproduce the error with the Fixpack installed and your firorc02.cre and could not - Aurora installed just fine. At this point I have to suspect antivirus software since something very similar happened to someone else with different mods. So I would suggest disconnecting from the Internet, disabling any memory-resident software (antivirus, firewalls, adware etc.) and then try reinstalling Aurora. If it fails again on the same file then I guess it confirms that that's the issue and I'll have to go to the WeiDU folks to try to figure out what that arcane message is supposed to mean, because I can see no problems with the file or the patching routine. Also, if you did have antivirus or similar running, let us know what it is so we can make a note of it.

#7 Qwallath

Qwallath
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 12:47 AM

Thanks for the help! I did have COMODO Firewall running at all times, (which includes some system protection), as well as Avast! antivirus software. I'll see if I can reproduce anything without the protection software, because I got some errors on installing Detectable Spells in SCS as well - looked similar.

cheers!

#8 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 01:05 AM

I did have COMODO Firewall running at all times, (which includes some system protection), as well as Avast! antivirus software.

When you're installing stuff, make an exception for the baldur's gate folder in Avast! (otherwise, it delays stuff too much) ... and turn off Defense+ for Comodo ;)

Click the ball->Standard Shield->Customize->Advanced Tab->Add->Type in BGII-SoA path with a "\*.*" at the end (like X:\Program Files\Bleck Isle\CGII - SoA\*.*") and run whatever you want :D

Cheers,
Lol

"I am the smiley addict, yellow and round, this is my grin :D when I'm usually around :P.
When there's trouble brewing, see me post, cuz it's usually a wall o' yellow and your eyes are toast!!!"

BWP GUIDE - BWP FIXES - impFAQ - NPC LIST - KIT LIST - AREA LIST

GitHub Links : BWP Fixpack | Lolfixer | BWP Trimpack | RezMod

#9 Qwallath

Qwallath
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 01:30 AM

Looks like disabling protection software did the trick! Aurora at least installs fine now. Thanks!

Curious incident though, I haven't had problems with antivirus software in the past years of installing WeiDU mods.

#10 Yovaneth

Yovaneth

The newly-appointed Master Builder of Baldur's Gate

• Modder
  • 3058 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 03:07 AM

Just FYI; it looks like avast! is giving trouble with the wmp patching routine in FFT too. If it's going by heuristic detection then my *guess* is that Weidu is patching an offset that just happens to correspond to a known virus patching technique.

-Y-

#11 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 09:14 AM

Would someone please help with this?? :crying:

EDIT: Stupidity on my part for overwriting your oggdec with one that doesn't understand your feelings :P (-o type feelings :lol:)

Edited by Lollorian, 19 January 2010 - 10:05 AM.

"I am the smiley addict, yellow and round, this is my grin :D when I'm usually around :P.
When there's trouble brewing, see me post, cuz it's usually a wall o' yellow and your eyes are toast!!!"

#12 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 07:18 AM

And here's a log of the (almost) FULL BWPExpert (without Exnem's and NMR :P)

EDIT: Oh the horror!!! :o I just realized that Aurora's main component didn't even install properly :crying: Doing another install now :doh: Attached it's failed DEBUG anyway though :P

Attached Files

Edited by Lollorian, 28 January 2010 - 07:30 AM.

#13 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 08:54 AM

Attached it's failed DEBUG anyway though

It doesn't actually indicate a mod error that I can see.

Copied [rndtreas.2da] to [override/rndtreas.2da]

ERROR Installing [Aurora's Shoes and Boots], rolling back to previous state

Unless someone broke SET_2DA_ENTRY_LATER which is unlikely, since it works on my machine and we haven't changed t-rndtbl.tpa since v2 or v3. Disable any antivirus or other memory-resident software and install it again.

#14 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 06:10 PM

Umm, Miloch :unsure: In my new reinstall, I made sure the installer pause when it got to aurora, and it's doing that right now. The main component didn't install this time either :(

I tried commenting out the lines from where I thought the problem happens, and I found that commenting out:
INCLUDE ~aurora/lib/t-goblin.tpa~
lets the installer run good :o

So, any hints?? :P

#15 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 06:15 PM

And I've got another LOW life form in one I'm releasing today.

Mod: Homeward Bound v4
Affected CRE: b!wren.cre
Animation: THIEF_FEMALE_HALFLING_LOW - 21267

Sorry about that. :doh: I really don't build mods that clash with others intentionally. (And you were so nice to me, too...) Unfortunately, I didn't realize the conflict until I'd already uploaded the mod to the servers.

The HB mod includes its own CRE, but for b!prelat.cre, I'm just copying hprelat.cre and renaming.

If it would make life easier, I could probably version up with non-LOW animations and avoid using them in the future, but that won't help folks who downloaded existing versions.

Edited by berelinde, 28 January 2010 - 06:23 PM.

"Imagination is given to man to console him for what he is not; a sense of humor, for what he is." - Oscar Wilde

berelinde's mods
TolkienAcrossTheWater website
TolkienAcrossTheWater Forum

#16 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 06:27 PM

Anyway, I guess the whatever does the stuff did it :P (or I could always un/reinstall aurora easily cause I've closed the installer after IAAurFix :))

Here's the loggy logs ...

Attached Files

#17 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 06:32 PM

I tried commenting out the lines from where I thought the problem happens, and I found that commenting out:

INCLUDE ~aurora/lib/t-goblin.tpa~
lets the installer run good :o

I'm sure commenting out the entire main animation-installation routine lets it run just great :P. It will also undoubtedly crash your game. Your problem was somewhere else entirely before, and once again you have symptoms of installing with an antivirus or similar program running (or perhaps installing to an external hard drive). Post your DEBUG log again, or rather the few lines before and after the ERROR - I don't need to look at the whole thing. If it is what I've said though, I doubt it'll be any more useful than the last one.

And I've got another LOW life form in one I'm releasing today.

Mod: Homeward Bound v4
Affected CRE: b!wren.cre
Animation: THIEF_FEMALE_HALFLING_LOW - 21267

Sorry about that. :doh: I really don't build mods that clash with others intentionally.

It doesn't really matter anymore. There's too many of these to keep track of so we're going to have to resort to regexp after all. One of the few places I'll concede its benefits outweigh its drawbacks, and why take chances on something that can crash the game.

Incidentally though, THIEF_FEMALE_HALFLING_LOW is identical to THIEF_FEMALE_HALFLING in the BG2 engine, as are the rest of the _LOW animations. Infinity Animations remaps them to make room for other slots I guess (and also adds the actual BG1 _LOW animations).

#18 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 06:51 PM

Here ya go :P
[./override/aggem03.itm] loaded, 114 bytes

I've disabled the antivir module that scans stuff in my system, and I just tried installing after disabling the entire thing :doh: Same error, same debug ...

#19 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 07:22 PM

Here ya go :P

[./override/aggem03.itm] loaded, 114 bytes

I've disabled the antivir module that scans stuff in my system, and I just tried installing after disabling the entire thing :doh: Same error, same debug ...

It's not the same error because you're hitting yet a *different* file now, and that has pretty much zero chances for error (a gem that has no special abilities). Or maybe it's something immediately after it, but if it's a real mod error, it should say what it is. When it just up and stops, that's usually a bug on the hard drive or memory rather than the code (which should say "Patching failed," "WRITE out of bounds" or at least some sort of arcane "Unix_stat" error or something).

I swear there's a virus built into WeiDU v213, one so cunning it escapes all detection. Maybe it's the MOVE command, I dunno.

Other folks have had similar random issues with other mods so I'll give the same advice - go to Start > Run (Search or something in Vista) and type msconfig and hit OK. Click on the Startup tab. Do a screenshot and post it. If there's a whole lot of programs, you probably want to turn most of them off (this is where you also see memory-resident antivirus and similar stuff). You need very few startup programs in Windows. Defrag your drive and check for errors while you're at it. Is it an external drive?

#20 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 07:48 PM

When it just up and stops, that's usually a bug on the hard drive or memory rather than the code (which should say "Patching failed," "WRITE out of bounds" or at least some sort of arcane "Unix_stat" error or something).

OMG!!! :o I'd seriously like to ignore that (bad memories with hard drive failure and losing 120 GB of stuff I didn't backup :crying:) I'm not saying that it's impossible though ... but, I cringe when I hear "hard drive failure" :(

I swear there's a virus built into WeiDU v213, one so cunning it escapes all detection. Maybe it's the MOVE command, I dunno.

The 213 changelog had somestuff about the MOVE command iirc ... :unsure:

Anyway, my security specs -

WinXP Home SP3 (patched with ... I think :P ... the latest updates, last one was about a week ago, some IE stuff??)

Avast! Free v5 (whose standard shield I always disable during installs, leaving just the web/mail/p2p shields)
A-aquared anti-malware (which I just close during installs)
COMODO personal firewall (i doubt this affects it, I've permanently disabled Defense+ or whatever scans the system in it :P)

And I personal would rather not disable ALL of them together, I've had to format some 6 months ago cause of some shitty stuff called Virtumonde that caught up when I disabled them all together once :crying:

Always defragged, and just checked for errors ... none :unsure: And it's internal :)

Edited by Lollorian, 28 January 2010 - 07:52 PM.